Sugreeva gives a report to Rama about his plight for fear of Vali, who made his own brother an enemy and abducted Sugreeva's wife. Rama asks Sugreeva to inform him about the real cause of enmity, so that he can decide correctly. Sugreeva narrates his woeful condition.
parituṣṭaḥ tu sugrīvaḥ tena vākyena harṣitaḥ |
lakṣmaṇasya agrajam śūram idam vacanam abravīt || 4-8-1
1. Sugreeva; tena vaakyena = by that, sentence; harSitaH = gladdened; parituSTaH tu = satisfied; shuuram = to that valiant one, Rama; lakshmanasya agrajam = Lakshmana's, elder; idam vacanam = this, sentence; abraviit = said.
Sugreeva is gladdened and satisfied too by that sentence, and said this sentence to Lakshmana's elder brother, Rama the valiant one. [4-8-1]
sarvathā aham anugrāhyo devatānām na saṃśayaḥ |
upapannaḥ guṇa upetaḥ sakhā yasya bhavān mama || 4-8-2
2. upapannaH = possessor of [all kinds of endowments]; guNa upetaH = having good virtues, with; bhavaan yasya mama sakhaa = you, whose, mine, friend; [on becoming so]; aham = sarvathaa = I, in everyway; devataanaam anugraahyaH = to gods [also]; worthy to be blessed; na samshayaH = no, doubt.
"When you wth all kinds of endowment and good virtues are my friend, doubtlessly I am worthy to be blessed by all gods in everyway. [4-8-2]
śakyam khalu bhavet rāma sahāyena tvayā anagha |
sura rājyam api prāptum sva rājyam kimuta prabho || 4-8-3
3. anagha = oh, merited one; oh, Rama; tvayaa sahaayena = with your, help; sura raajyam api praaptum shakyam bhavet = god's, kingdom, even, to achieve, possible, it will be; sva raajyam kim utaH prabho = one's own, why tell about, oh , lord.
"Oh, merited one, with your help it will be possible to achieve kingdom of gods, oh, lord, then why tell about one's own kingdom... [4-8-3]
so.aham sabhājyo bandhūnām suhṛdām caiva rāghava |
yasya agni sākṣikam mitram labdham rāghava vaṃśajam || 4-8-4
4. yasya = to whom such like me; raaghava vamsha jam = in Raghava's, dynasty, one born in; mitram = as friend; agni saakshikam = fire, as witness; labdham = gained by; saH aham = such as, I am; bandhuunaam = among, relatives; ca iva = also, like that; su hR^idaam = kind-hearted friends; sabhaajyaH = estimable.
"He who has gained the one born in Raghava-s dynasty as friend, to which sacred fire bore the witness, such a being like me is estimable among his relative, more so among his kind-hearted friends... [4-8-4]
aham api anurūpaḥ te vayasyo jñāsyase śanaiḥ |
na tu vaktum samartho.aham tvayi ātmagatān guṇān || 4-8-5
5. aham api = I am, even; anuruupaH = matching; vayasyaH = friend; te = to you; j~naasyase = you will know; shanaiH = soon; aham aatma gataan gunaan = I am my in soul, having [inherent,] capabilities; tvayi = to you; vaktum = to speak; na tu samarthaH = not, capable [inexpedient.]
"Even though I am a matching friend to you, that you will know soon, it will be inexpedient of myself to talk about my inherent capabilities. [4-8-5]
mahātmanām tu bhūyiṣṭham tvat vidhānām kṛta ātmanām |
niścalā bhavati prītiḥ dhairyam ātmavatām vara || 4-8-6
6. maha aatmanaam tu = for great souls; bhuuyiSTham = generally; tvat vidhaanaam = in your manner; kR^ita aatmanaam = purified, at heart; nishcalaa = stable; bhavati = will be; priitiH = friendship; dhairyam = courage; aatmavataam vara = among hearty ones, the best [amiable one.]
"Great souls of your kind, whose hearts are purified like yours, oh, amiable Rama, their friendship and courage will generally be stable. [4-8-6]
rajatam vā suvarṇam vā śubhāni ābharaṇāni ca |
avibhaktāni sādhūnām avagacchanti sādhavaḥ || 4-8-7
7. saadhuunaam = among gentle souls; rajatam vaa = silver, or; suvarNam vaa = gold, or; shubhaani aabharaNaani cha = prosperous ornaments, even; a vibhaktaani = not, in an apportioned manner; [thus] saadhavaH = by gentle souls; avagachanti = will be knowing.
"Gentle souls will be knowing that silver or gold, or even prosperous ornaments are not to be apportioned among themselves as this is mine and that is yours. [4-8-7]
āḍhyo vā api daridro vā duḥkhitaḥ sukhito.api vā |
nirdoṣaḥ ca sadoṣaḥ ca vayasyaḥ paramā gatiḥ || 4-8-8
8. aaDhyaH vaa api = rich, or, even; daridraH vaa = poor, or; duhkhitaH = saddened; sukhitaH api vaa = gladdened, even, or; nir doSaH ca = without flaw, or; sa doshaH vaa = with flaw, or; vayasyaH = friend is; paramaa gatiH = ultimate, recourse.
"May he be rich or poor, saddened or gladdened, flawless or flawed, a friend is the ultimate recourse to any. [4-8-8]
dhana tyāgaḥ sukha tyāgo deśa tyāgo.api vā anaghaḥ |
vayasyārthe pravartante sneham dṛṣṭvā tathā vidham || 4-8-9
9. anaghaH = oh impeccable one; sneham = friendship; dR^iSTvaa tathaa vidham = on observing, thus, course of [friendship]; vayasya arthe = for friend's, sake; dhana tyaagaH = wealth, devoting; sukha tyaagaH = pleasure devoting; desha tyaagaH vaa api = country, devoting, or, even; pravartante = conducts [they don't hesitate to forgo, extend.]
"On observing the course of friendship and knowing which is true friendship, the true friends do not hesitate to extend wealth, pleasure or even their own country for the sake of friendship." Sugreeva thus extolled Rama and his friendship. [4-8-9]
tat tathā iti abravīt rāmaḥ sugrīvam priya darśanam |
lakṣmaṇasya agrataḥ lakṣmyā vāsavasya iva dhīmataḥ || 4-8-10
10. raamaH = Rama; vaasavasya iva dhiimataH = Indra, as with, sagacious one; lakshmyaa = one who is resplendent; lakshmanasya agrataH = [such] Lakshmana's, before; priya darshanam sugriivam = one who looks pleasant [soft-natured in his for the onlookers, to such] Sugreeva; tat tathaa iti abraviit = that, that way, only, [thus] said Rama.
"That is thus only," said Rama before Lakshmana, which Lakshmana is sagacious, resplendent and who vies with Indra, about what is said by Sugreeva, which Sugreeva is by now soft-natured in his looks, doffing off his jittery look. [4-8-10]
tato rāmam sthitam dṛṣṭvā lakṣmaṇam ca mahābalam |
sugrīvaḥ sarvataḥ cakṣuḥ vane lolam apātayat || 4-8-11
11. tataH = then; Sugreeva; sthitam raamam dR^iSTvaa = standing there, at Rama, on seeing; mahaabalam = greatly mighty; lakshmaNam ca = Lakshmana, also; lolam = rolling - bolting; cakshuH = eyes; sarvataH = around; vane = in forest; apaatayat = thrown [he cast sight.]
Then on seeing Rama standing there with greatly mighty Lakshmana, Sugreeva cast his sight with his bolting eyes around that forest. [4-8-11]
sa dadarśa tataḥ sālam avidūre harīśvaraḥ |
supuṣpam īṣat patra āḍhyam bhramaraiḥ upaśobhitam || 4-8-12
12. tataH = then; saH hariishvaraH = he that, monkeys, lord,; aviduure su puSpam = not far off, well flowered; iiSat patra aaDhyam = with some, leaves, covering; bhramaraiH = with honeybees; upa shobhitam = well bedecked; saalam = sala tree; dadarsha = has seen.
He that lord of monkeys Sugreeva has then seen a well flowered sala tree not far off from there, covered with some leaves and bedecked with honeybees. [4-8-12]
tasya ekām parṇa bahulām śākhām bhaṃktvā suśobhitām |
rāmasya āstīrya sugrīvo niṣasāda sa rāghavaḥ || 4-8-13
13. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; tasya = its, tree's; parNa bahulaam = leaves, many; su sobhitaam = well, charming one; ekaam = one; shaakhaam = branch; bhanktvaa = broke off; raamasya aastiirya = for Rama, spread out; saH raaghavaH = with Raghava; niSasaada = sat on it.
And Sugreeva broke off one branch of that sala tree that is with many leaves and a well charming one, and spreading it out for Rama, he sat on it with Raghava. [4-8-13]
tau āsīnau tataḥ dṛṣṭvā hanūmān api lakṣmaṇam |
sāla śākhām samutpāṭya vinītam upaveśayat || 4-8-14
14. tataH = then; hanuumaan = Hanuma; api = even; aasiinau = sitting; tau = those two; dR^stvaa = on seeing; saala shaakhaam = sala, branch; sam utpaaTya = on breaking; viniitam = modest one; lakshmaNam = to Lakshmana; upaveshayat = sat on.
On seeing those two sitting on a branch then Hanuma also broke a branch of sala tree for the modest Lakshmana and seated Lakshmana on it. [4-8-14]
This verse and some more will look alike to verses 18, 19, 20 and some more in 5th chapter of this canto, meaning that these actions are repeated whenever Rama and Lakshmana are standing, these monkeys broke the branches of trees and spread its leaves like a leafy mat as a comfortable seat to Rama with their veneration. Some other verses dealing with the agony of Sugreeva and assurances of Rama are also there, indicating that Rama assured the doubting monkeys repeatedly.
sukha upaviṣṭam rāmam tu prasannam udadhim yathā |
sāla puṣpāva saṃkīrṇe tasmin girivara uttame || 4-8-15
tataḥ prahṛṣṭaḥ sugrīvaḥ ślakṣṇayā śubhayā girā |
uvāca praṇayād rāmam harṣa vyākulita akṣaram || 4-8-16
15, 16. tataH = then; Sugreeva; prahR^iSTaH = who is pleased; saala puSpa = with sala tree's, flowers; samkiirNne = all over bestrewn with; tasmin girivara uttame = there, on that mountain, the best; sukha upaviSTam = comfortably, one who is sitting; prasannam yathaa udadhim = quiet, like, ocean; raamam tu = one who causes delight to heart; raamam = to such a Rama; shlakshnam shubhayaa giraa = with gentle, gracious, words; harSa vyaakulita aksharam = in happiness, fluttering, with words; praNayaat = in friendship; uvaaca = said.
Then to him, who by now is comfortably sitting on a flowery mat laid by the bestrewn flowers of sala trees on that best mountain like a quiet ocean, to such Rama who by his very presence delights hearts, that gladsome Sugreeva said this in friendship with his gentle and gracious words that fluttered with happiness while he spoke. [4-8-15, 16]
aham vinikṛto bhrātrā carāmi eṣa bhayārditaḥ |
ṛṣyamūkam giri varam hṛta bhāryaḥ suduḥkhitaḥ || 4-8-17
17. bhraatraa vinikR^itaH = by brother, calumniated; eSaH aham = this, me; bhayaarditaH = with fear haunting; hR^ita bhaaryaH = stolen, wife; su duHkhitaH = highly, anguished; giri varam = mountain the best; Rishyamuukam = on Mt. Rishyamuka; caraami = I am moving.
"My brother calumniated me and stole my wife, with his fear and my anguish haunting me I am moving about this best mountain Rishyamuka. [4-8-17]
so.aham trastaḥ bhaye magnaḥ vane saṃbrānta cetanaḥ |
vālinā nikṛtaḥ bhrātrā kṛta vairaḥ ca rāghava || 4-8-18
18. Raghava; bhraatraa = by brother; vaalinaa = by Vali; nikR^itaH = insulted - affronted; kR^ita vairaH = made, enemy; ca = also; saH aham = such as, I am; trastaH = scared; sambhraanta = dazed; cetanaH = vitality; vasaami = living; bhaye magnaH = in fear, flung in.
"Affronted by my brother, oh, Raghava, I am made as his enemy, such as I am, I am living on with a scared and dazed vitality far flung in fear. [4-8-18]
vālinaḥ me bhaya ārtasya sarvaloka abhayaṃkara |
mama api tvam anāthasya prasādam kartum arhasi || 4-8-19
19. sarva loka = for all worlds; a bhayam kara = no, fear - protection, giver [protector]; me = my - from my brother; vaalinaH = from Vali; bhaya aartasya = in fear, agonized; a naathasya = un, protected one [I am]; mama api = to me, even; tvam = you; prasaadam kartum arhasi = protection, to accord, able you are.
"I am agonized by the fear from Vali, oh, protector of all the worlds, you protect me too for I am unprotected, and able are you to accord protection." Thus Sugreeva appealed to Rama. [4-8-19]
evam uktaḥ tu tejasvī dharmajño dharma vatsalaḥ |
pratyuvāca sa kākutsthaḥ sugrīvam prahasan iva || 4-8-20
20. evam uktaH tu = thus, said; tejasvii = resplendent; dharmaj~naH = virtuous; dharma vatsalaH = righteousness, the patron of; saH kaakutsthaH = he that, Rama; pra hasan iva = laughing it off, as though; sugriivam = to Sugreeva; prati uvaaca = in turn, said - replied.
Thus said by Sugreeva, the resplendent and virtuous Rama, the patron of righteousness replied Sugreeva as though laughing off the task. [4-8-20]
upakāra phalam mitram apakāro ari lakṣaṇam |
adya eva tam vadhiṣyāmi tava bhāryā apahāriṇam || 4-8-21
21. upakaara phalam mitram = helping, fruit of, is a friend; apakaaraH ari lakshaNam = harming, is enemy's, trait; adya eva = today, only; vadh iSyaami = to kill, I wish to; tam tava bhaaryaa apahaariNam = him, your, wife's, abductor.
"Helping is the fruit of friendship while harming is enemy's trait, hence I wish to kill him today only, that abductor of your wife..." Rama continued thus. [4-8-21]
ime hi me mahābhāga patriṇaḥ tigma tejasaḥ |
kārtikeya vana udbhūtāḥ śarā hema vibhūṣitāḥ || 4-8-22
kanka patra paricchannā mahendra aśani sannibhāḥ |
suparvāṇaḥ sutīkṣṇa agrā saroṣā bhujagā iva || 4-8-23
22, 23. mahaa bhaagaaH = oh, highly fortunate one - Sugreeva; me ime patriNaH sharaa = my, these, winged [pinion to hern,] arrows; tigma tejasaH = sharply, sparkling; kaartikeya vana udbhuutaaH = from Kartikeya's, forest, begotten; hema vibhuuSitaaH = gold, decorated with; kanka patrai pari cChannaaH = with eagle's, feathers, tied with as fins; mahendra = Indra's; ashani sannibhaaH = Thunderbolt, like; su parvaaNaH = having smooth, nodes, even knots; su tiikshNa agraa = very, sharply, tipped; sa roSaaH = with rage; bhujagaa iva = snakes, like.
"These are my arrows winged from pinion of the hern, oh, highly fortunate Sugreeva, these that are decorated in gold sparkle sharply like the Thunderbolts of Indra, and they are begotten from the reed forest of Kartikeya, ends tied with eagles feathers for fins, smooth are their nodes, sharp are their tips that pierce sharply, and these will be like enraged snakes. [4-8-22, 23]
Please see Ch 37 in Bala Kanda for the legend of Karthikeya and his emergence.
vāli sajñam amitram te bhrātaram kṛta kilbiṣam |
śaraiḥ vinihatam paśya vikīrṇam iva parvatam || 4-8-24
24. te bhraataram = your brother; kR^ita kilbisham = who has done, malice; vaali sa~njam = Vali, denotative by, named; a mitram = unfriendly - intimidating one; sharaiH = with arrows; vi nihatam = verily, eradicated; vikiirNam iva parvatam = splintered, like, mountain; pashya = you may see.
"You may see your malicious and intimidating brother, someone denotative by name Vali, eradicated with these very arrows and splintered down like a mountain." Rama said so to Sugreeva. [4-8-24]
rāghavasya vacaḥ śrutvā sugrīvo vāhinī patiḥ |
praharṣam atulam lebhe sādhu sādhviti ca abravīt || 4-8-25
25. raaghavasya = Raghava's; vacaH = words; shrutvaa = heard; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; vaahinii patiH = monkey-force, lord of; praharSam = happiness; atulam = much; lebhe = attained; saadhu saadhu iti ca = good, good, thus, also; abraviit = said.
On hearing Raghava's words, the lord of monkey-force Sugreeva attained much happiness and said, 'good, good...' [4-8-25]
rāma śoka abhibhūto aham śoka ārtānām bhavān gatiḥ |
vayasya iti kṛtvā hi tvayi aham paridevaye || 4-8-26
26. Rama; aham = I am; shoka abhibhuutaH = by sadness, confounded in; shoka aartaanaam = for sadly, lamenting ones; bhavaan gatiH = you are, the recourse; vayasya iti kR^itvaa = friend, thus, on making [because you are a friend]; hi = verily; tvayi aham = in you, I am; paridevaye = beseeching [I open up my woes before you.].
"Rama, I am confounded in sadness, and for those lamenting sadly you are the only recourse, and because you have befriended me I am opening up my woes before you. [4-8-26]
tvam hi pāṇi pradānena vayasyo me agni sākṣikam |
kṛtaḥ prāṇaiḥ bahumataḥ satyena ca śapāmi aham || 4-8-27
27. tvam = you are; paaNi pradaanena = hand, by extending; agni aakshikam = of fire, by witness; kR^itaH = befriended; [me, therefore]; praaNaiH bahumataH vayasyaH me hi = than life, you are dearest, friend you are, of minbe, indeed; aham = I am satyena api shapaami = by truth, only, taking oath.
"By extending a helping hand and befriending me while sacred fire bore witness, you have indeed become my dearest friend on par with my life, and hence I take promise on truth to broach. [4-8-27]
vayasya iti kṛtvā ca visrabdhaḥ pravadāmi aham |
duḥkham antargatam tan me mano harati nityaśaḥ || 4-8-28
28. vayasya iti kR^itvaa ca = friend, thus, making, also; aham = I am; visrabdham = in believability [without hitches and hold-ups]; pra vadaami = clearly, saying; tat antargatam duHkham manaH harati nityashaH = that which, internal, sorrow is there, my, heart, stealing [rending,] always.
"By befriending you I am able to say clearly about my internal sorrow without any hitches and hold-ups, which is always rending my heart..." So said Sugreeva to Rama. [4-8-28]
etāvat uktvā vacanam bāṣpa dūṣita locanaḥ |
bāṣpa dūṣitayā vācā na uccaiḥ śknoti bhāṣitum || 4-8-29
29. etaavat = up to here; uktvaa vacanam = said, sentence; baashpa duuSitayaa locanaH = with tears, abused, eyes; baashpa duuSitayaa vaacaa = tears, abused, voice; na = not; ucCaiH = aloud; shknoti = able; bhaashitum = to talk.
Sugreeva said this much sentence with tears abusing his eyes and his voice is unable talk aloud since it is equally abused by tears. [4-8-29]
bāṣpa vegam tu sahasā nadī vegam iva āgatam |
dhārayāmāsa dhairyeṇa sugrīvaḥ rāma saṃnidhau || 4-8-30
30. Sugreeva; sannidhau = in the presence of; Rama; nadii vegam iva = river's, speed, like; sahasaa = suddenly; aagatam = came up; baashpa vegam tu = tears, speed of; dhairyeNa = courageously; dhaarayaamaasa = controlled.
Sugreeva courageously controlled the sudden haste of tears that came up hastily and suddenly like a river in the presence of Rama. [4-8-30]
sa nigṛhya tu tam bāṣpam pramṛjya nayane śubhe |
viniḥśvasya ca tejasvī rāghavam punarūcivān || 4-8-31
31. tejasvii = bright one; saH = he; tam baashpam = those, tears; nigR^ihya tu = controlled; pramR^ijya shubhe nayane = on wiping out, his fortunate, eyes; vi nisHvasya ca = verily, sighed, also; raaghavam vaakyam punaH uucivaan = to Raghava, sentence, again started to speak.
He that bright Sugreeva controlled those tears, and on wiping his fortunate eyes, but sighing heavily he again started to speak this sentence to Raghava. [4-8-31]
purā aham valinā rāma rājyāt svāt avaropitaḥ |
paruṣāṇi ca saṃśrāvya nirdhūto asmi balīyasā || 4-8-32
32. puraa = earlier; aham = I was; baliiyasaa valinaa svaat raajyaat avaropitaH = by forceful, Vali, from my, kingdom, dismounted [ deposed]; paruSaaNi ca samshraavya nirdhuutaH asmi = harsh words, also, made to listen [spoke by him,] shoved off [banished,] I am.
"Earlier he that forceful Vali deposed me from my kingdom, oh Rama, and speaking harsh words he even banished me. [4-8-32]
hṛtā bhāryā ca me tena prāṇebhyo api garīyasī |
suhṛdaḥ ca madīyā ye saṃyatā bandhaneṣu te || 4-8-33
33. tena = by him; praaNebhyaH api gariiyasii = of lives, even, loftier; me bhaaryaa ca hR^itaa = my, wife, is also, stolen; madiiyaa ye suhR^idaH = my, those, sympathisers are thee; [te = they are]; bandhaneSu samyataa = in prisons, tied down.
"My wife who is loftier than my lives is stolen by him, and those that are my sympathisers they are also captivated and imprisoned by him. [4-8-33]
yatnavān ca sa duṣṭātmā mad vināśāya rāghava |
bahuśaḥ tat prayuktāḥ ca vānarā nihatā mayā || 4-8-34
34. Raghava; saH duSTa atmaa = he that, evil, minded one; mat vinaashaaya = for my, annihilation; yatnavaan ca = he tried, also; bahushaH = many times; tat = by him; prayuktaaH ca = deployed, also; vaanaraaH = monkeys [combatants]; nihataa mayaa = are killed, by me.
"He that very evil minded one tried many times to annihilate me, and Raghava, I killed those combatants monkeys that are deployed by Vali to kill me. [4-8-34]
śaṃkayā etayā aham ca dṛṣṭvā tvām api rāghava |
na upasarpāmi aham bhīto bhaye sarve hi bibhyati || 4-8-35
35. Raaghava; aham ca = I, too; etayaa = with the same; shankayaa tve = doubt; tvaam api iha dR^iSTvaa = you, even, here, on seeing; na upasarpaami = not, I neared you; bhaye sarve bibhyati hi = in fear, all, will be fearsome, isn't it.
"With the same doubt I did not even near you when I saw you... in fear everything will be fearsome, isn't it... [4-8-35]
kevalam hi sahāyā me hanumat pramukhāstvime |
ataḥ aham dhārayāmi adya prāṇān kṛcchra gataḥ api san || 4-8-36
36. kevalam ime hanumat pramukhaaH = just, these, Hanuma, important ones; me sahaayaa = my, helping hands; ataH aham kR^icChra gataH api san = thereby, I am, in tribulations, gone in, though, I am; dhaarayaami praaNaan adya = I bear, my lives, even today.
"Though I am engulfed in tribulations I still bear my lives even today due to these important monkeys like Hanuma and others, who are the only helping hands of mine. [4-8-36]
ete hi kapayaḥ snigdhā mām rakṣanti samantataḥ |
saha gacchanti gantavye nityam tiṣṭhanti ca sthite || 4-8-37
37. snigdhaa = friendly; ete kapayaH maam rakshanti samantataH = these, monkeys, me, guarding, from all over; gantavye saha gacChanti nityam sthite tiSThanti ca = while I go, along with, they go, always, while staying, the stay.
"These are the friendly monkeys guarding me all over, while I go they go along with me, and if I were to stay they too will stay. [4-8-37]
saṃkṣepaḥ te eṣa me rāma kim uktvā vistaram hi te |
sa me jyeṣṭho ripuḥ bhrātā vālī viśruta pauruṣaḥ || 3-8-38
38. Rama; eSa me samkshepaH = this, is my, brief account; te vistaram uktvaa kim = to you, in detail, telling, why [what is the use in elaborating it]; me jyeSThaH bhraataa = my, elder, brother; vishruta paurushaH = who is renowned, for his intrepidity; saH Vali mama ripu = that, Vali, is my, enemy.
"Rama, this is briefly my sad-story and why tell this very broadly to you as it would be too tedious... my elder brother Vali is a renowned one for his intrepidity, and he that Vali alone is my enemy. [4-8-38]
tad vināśe api me duḥkham pramṛṣṭam syāt anantaram |
sukham me jīvitam caiva tad vināśa nibandhanam || 3-8-39
39. tat vinaashe api = his, end, only; me duHkham pra mR^iSTtam syaat = my, distress, is wiped out [end,] it will be; anantaram = later; me sukham jiivitam ca eva = my, quietude, life, also, thus; tat vinaasha nibandhanam = his, destruction, subjected to.
"His end ends my distress and my later life and quietude are subjected to his destruction. [4-8-39]
eṣa me rāma śokāntaḥ śoka ārtena niveditaḥ |
duḥkhitaḥ sukhitaḥ vā api sakhyuḥ nityam sakhā gatiḥ || 3-8-40
40. shoka aartena = by grief, stricken one; me eSa shoka antaH = this, misery's, end, [end for my misery]; niveditaH = is submitted; sakhyuH duHkhitaH sukhitaH vaa api = for a friend, saddened, gladdened, or, even if; nityam sakhaa gatiH = at any time, friend, is recourse.
"Grief stricken such as I am, I have submitted as to how my misery ends, whether one is gladdened or saddened he has recourse only to his friend." So said Sugreeva to Rama. [4-8-40]
śrutvā etat ca vacaḥ rāmaḥ sugrīvam idam abravīt |
kim nimittam abhūt vairam śrotum icchāmi tattvataḥ || 3-8-41
41. Rama; etat vacaH shrutvaa = all this, words, on hearing; sugriivam = to Sugreeva; idam abraviit = this, said; kim nimittam = what, for; abhuut vairam = chanced, enmity; tattvataH shrotum icChaami = in its reality, to listen, interested I am.
Hearing all that is spoken by Sugreeva, Rama asked, "What for chanced the enmity? I am interested to listen, in its reality...[4-8-41]
sukham hi kāraṇam śrutvā vairasya tava vānara |
ānantaryad vidhāsyāmi saṃpradhārya balābalam || 3-8-42
42. vaanara = oh, monkey; tava vairasya kaaraNam shrutvaa = yours, of enmity, cause, on listening; bala abalam sampradhaarya = strength and weakness, on deciding; aanantaryaat = after a proper thought; sukham vidhaasyaami = easily, I will enforce [do the needful.]
"On knowing the cause of your enmity, oh, monkey, and after a proper thought, and deciding upon the strength and weakness of the cause of enmity, or of the enmity itself, I will do the needful very easily. [4-8-42]
balavān hi mama amarṣaḥ śrutvā tvām avamānitam |
vardhate hṛdaya utkampī prāvṛḍ vega iva aṃbhasaḥ || 3-8-43
43. shrutvaa = on hearing; tvaam = you are; avamaanitam = insulted; utkampii = that can flutter; mama = my; hR^idaya = heart; balavaan = intense; amarSaH = anger [is coming to pass, like]; ambhasaH praavR^iD vega iva varthate = of waters, rainy season's, speediness, like, increasing.
"On hearing that you are insulted my intense anger that can flutter my heartbeat is intensifying like the intensifying speed of waters in rainy reason. [4-8-43]
hṛṣṭaḥ kathaya visrabdho yāvat āropyate dhanuḥ |
sṛṣṭaḥ ca hi mayā bāṇo nirastaḥ ca ripuḥ tava || 3-8-44
44. mayaa = by me; yaavat = before; dhanuH aaropyate = bow, is aimed; baaNaH sR^iSTaH ca = arrow, is released; tava ripuH nirastaH ca = your, enemy, become helpless [ he dies]; [within that time]; hR^iSTaH visrabdhaH kathaya = gladly, in belief, you tell.
"Be glad to say in belief, Sugreeva, before I take aim with my bow, and even before I release the arrow, and even before silencing your enemy." Rama assured Sugreeva in this way. [4-8-44]
evam uktaḥ tu sugrīvaḥ kākutsthena mahātmanā |
praharṣam atulam lebhe caturbhiḥ saha vānaraiḥ|| 3-8-45
45. mahaatmanaa kaakutsthena evam uktaH tu = by great souled, Rama, thus, when said; sugriivaH = he that Sugreeva; caturbhiH vaanaraiH saha = with four, vanara-s, along with; praharSam atulam lebhe = rejoice, very much, obtained.
Thus said by the great souled Rama, Sugreeva is very much rejoiced along with four of vanara-s available in his attendance. [4-8-45]
tataḥ prahṛ^iṣṭa vadanaḥ sugrīvaḥ lakṣmaṇāgraje |
vairasya kāraṇam tattvam ākhyātum upacakrame || 3-8-46
46. tata = then; prahR^iSTa vadanaH = with pleased, countenance; Sugreeva; Lakshmana agraje = to Lakshmana's elder, to Rama; vairasya kaaraNam = enmity's, cause; tattvam = truthfully; aakhyaatum = to tell; upacakrame = started.
Then with a pleased countenance Sugreeva started to tell Rama about the cause of the enmity, it all it truthfulness. [4-8-46]
- - -
iti vālmīki rāmāyaṇe ādi kāvye kiṣkindha kāṇḍe aṣṭamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
©2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : March, '04