Sugreeva consoles Rama soothingly and advises him to come out of his frenzy emotion at the loss of Seetha, which is not befitting to a person like Rama. Rama recovering from his emotional state, promises Sugreeva to be truthful to his word in alleviating the fear of Vali for Sugreeva. And Sugreeva also promises to make all his efforts to search for Seetha.
एवम् उक्तः तु सुग्रीवः रामेण आर्तेन वानरः |
अब्रवीत् प्राञ्जलिः वाक्यम् सबाष्पम् बाष्प गद्गदः || ४-७-१
1. aartena = one in agony; raameNa = by Rama; evam uktaH tu = thus, said; Sugreeva; vaanaraH = the monkey; baaSpa gadgadaH = with tears, trembling voice; sa baaSpam = with tears;. pra anjaliH = with adjoined palms; vaakyam = sentence; abraviit = said.
Thus said by Rama in agony that monkey Sugreeva with his palms adjoined, and with tears rolling in eyes and also voice trembling with tears said this to Rama. [4-7-1]
न जाने निलयम् तस्य सर्वथा पाप रक्षसः |
सामर्थ्यम् विक्रमम् वा अपि दौष्कुलेयस्य वा कुलम् || ४-७-२
2. daushkuleyasya = of that sinister dynasty; tasya paapa rakshasaH = of his, of that sinning, demon's; nilayam = residence; saamarthyam = capability; vikramam = valour; vaa = either; api = even; kulam vaa = his lineage, even; sarvathaa = at all; na jaane = not, familiar.
"Unfamiliar is the residence, or capability, or valour, or lineage of that sinning demon from a sinister dynasty, in any wise... [4-7-2]
सत्यम् तु प्रतिजानामि त्यज शोकम् अरिन्दम |
करिष्यामि तथा यत्नम् यथा प्राप्स्यसि मैथिलीम् || ४-७-३
3. arindama = oh, enemy destroyer; te satyam pratijaanaami = to you, truthfully, I am promising; maithiliim yathaa praapsyasi = Maithili, as to how, you get back; tathaa yatnam karishyaami = therefor, make effort, I strive to; tyaja shokam = discard, anguish.
"Truthfully I am promising you, oh, enemy destroyer, as to how you will get back Maithili therefor I strive to make effort, let anguish be discarded... [4-7-3]
रावणम् सगणम् हत्वा परितोष्य आत्म पौरुषम् |
तथा अस्मि कर्ता नचिराद् यथा प्रीतो भविष्यसि || ४-७-४
4. raavanam sa gaNam hatvaa = Ravana, with, henchmen, on killing; paritoSya = satisfying your; aatma pauruSam = self, pride; yathaa priitaH bhaviSyasi = as to how, you will be gladdened; tathaa na ciraat kartaa asmi = that way, not, before long, done, by me.
"As to how you will satisfy yourself on killing Ravana along with his henchmen, and as to how to you pride yourself thereby, I will make it happen in that way in no longer a time... [4-7-4]
अलम् वैक्लव्यम् आलम्ब्य धैर्यम् आत्मगतम् स्मर |
त्वत् विधानाम् न सदृशम् ईदृशम् बुद्धि लाघवम् || ४-७-५
5. alam vaiklavyam aalambya = enough, despair, clinging on to; aatma gatam dhairyam smara = soul gone in [inherent,] courage, you recollect; tvat vidhaanaam = your like persons; iidR^isham buddhi laaghavam = this sort of, mental, ineptness; na sadR^isham = not, seemly.
"Enough is this clinging on to despair, recollect your inherent courage, and it is unseemly for persons of your sort to have this kind of mental ineptness... [4-7-5]
मया अपि व्यसनम् प्राप्तम् भार्या विरहजम् महत् |
न अहम् एवम् हि शोचामि धैर्यम् न च परित्यजे || ४-७-६
6. mayaa api = by me, too; bhaaryaa = wife's; viraha jam = separation, caused by; mahat = greatly; vyasanam = yearning; praaptam = came upon; na ca aham = not, also, I; evam = this way; shocaami = despaired; na ca dhairyam = not, also, courage; parityaje = forsook.
"Upon me too this yearning caused by the separation of wife has chanced, but I did not despair this way, nor I have forsaken my courage... [4-7-6]
न अहम् ताम् अनुशोचामि प्राकृतो वानरो अपि सन् |
महात्मा च विनीतः च किम् पुनर् धृतिमान् महान् || ४-७-७
7. aham praakR^itaH vaanaraH api san = I am, being primitive, monkey, even though; taam anu shochaami = of her [for distancing wife,] not, [totally] disheartening; mahaatmaa ca = great soul, also; viniitaH ca = well-read one, also; dhR^iitimaan = courageous one; bhavaan kim punaH = you are, what again [why tell about you.]
"Though I am a primitive monkey I am not totally disheartened for the distancing of wife, why tell about a great soul like you who are well read and courageous... [4-7-7]
बाष्पम् आपतितम् धैर्यात् निग्रहीतुम् त्वम् अर्हसि |
मर्यादाम् सत्त्व युक्तानाम् धृतिम् न उत्स्रष्टुम् अर्हसि || ४-७-८
8. tvam aa patitam baashpam dhairyaat nigrahiitum arhasi = you, trickling, tears, with courage, to control, apt of you; sattva yuktaanaam = that which belonging to self-controlled ones; maryaadaam = propriety; dhR^itim = courage; na utsraSTum arhasi = not, to discard, apt of you.
"It is apt of you to control trickling tears with courage, and equally it is inapt of you to discard the courage and propriety of self-controlled people... [4-7-8]
व्यसने वा अर्थ कृच्छ्रे वा भये वा जीवितान्तगे |
विमृशन् वै स्वया बुद्ध्या धृतिमान् न अवसीदति || ४-७-९
9. vyasane vaa = in a riddle, or; artha kR^icChre vaa = financial loss, or; jiivita antage = life, at end of; bhaye vaa = in fear, either; dhR^itimaan = courageous one; svayaa buddhyaa = in ones own, mind; vimR^ishan = by introspection; = verily; na avasiidati vai = not, sinks down, indeed.
"Either in a riddle, or in financial loss, or at the end of life, or in fear, a courageous one does not sink down, but indeed introspects in his own mind... [4-7-9]
बालिशस् तु नरो नित्यम् वैक्लब्यम् योऽनुवर्तते |
स मज्जति अवशः शोके भार आक्रान्ता इव नौः जले || ४-७-१०
10. yaH naraH = which, man; baalisaH nityam vaiklabyam anuvartate = like stupid, always, self-pity, he who follows; saH = he; a vasaH = not, self-controlled; bhaara aakraantaa = by weight, overpowered [overweighing]; nauH jale iva = ship, in waters, like; shoke majjati = in sadness, drowns.
"Stupid is that man who always follows self-piteous sadness unable to control himself, and he drowns down in that melancholy like a overweighing ship in waters... [4-7-10]
एषो अन्जलिः मया बद्धः प्रणयात् त्वाम् प्रसादये |
पौरुषम् श्रय शोकस्य न अन्तरम् दातुम् अर्हसि || ४-७-११
11. mayaa eSaH anjaliH baddhaH = by me, this, palms, adjoined; praNayaat tvaam prasaadaye = in friendship, you, I beseech; pauruSam shraya = self-esteem, bear up; shokasya antaram daatum na arhasi = for sadness, leeway, to give, not, apt of you.
"Adjoined are my palms in this way beseeching you in friendship, kindly bear up your self-esteem and you should not give any leeway to sadness... [4-7-11]
ये शोकम् अनुवर्तन्ते न तेषाम् विद्यते सुखम् |
तेजः च क्षीयते तेषाम् न त्वम् शोचितुम् अर्हसि || ४-७-१२
12. ye = those; shokam anuvartante = moroseness, delve into; na teSaam = not, to them; vidyate sukham = enjoy, happiness; tejaH cha = brilliance, too; kshiiyate = dwindle; teSaam = their; na tvam shocitum arhasi = not, your, saddening, is apt.
"Those that delve deep into moroseness, to them there is no happiness, and their brilliance too dwindles, thus saddening is inapt on your part... [4-7-12]
शोकेन अभिप्रपन्नस्य जीविते च अपि संशयः |
स शोकम् त्यज राजेन्द्र धैर्यम् आश्रय केवलम् || ४-७-१३
13. raajendra = oh, king of kings; shokena = by sadness; abhi prapannasya = well, engulfed; jiivite cha api = of life, also, even; samshayaH = doubts; saH shokam = such as you are, sadness; tyaja = leave off; kevalam dhairyam aashraya = just, courage, hold on to.
"One well-engulfed in sadness doubts even his life, oh, king of kings, leave off that sadness and just hold on to courage...[4-7-13]
हितम् वयस्य भावेन ब्रूमि न उपदिशामि ते |
वयस्यताम् पूजयन् मे न त्वम् शोचितुम् अर्हसि || ४-७-१४
14. hitam = benefiting; vayasya bhaavena = friendly, thought; bruumi = I tell; na upadishaami te = not, instructing, you; vayasyataam = friendship; puujayan = regarding; me = of mine; na tvam shocitum arhasi = not, your, saddening, is apt.
"I am telling a benefiting and friendly thought, but not instructing you, should you regard my friendship then your saddening is inapt..." [Thus said Sugreeva to Rama.] [4-7-14]
मधुरम् सान्त्वितः तेन सुग्रीवेण स राघवः |
मुखम् अश्रु परि क्लिन्नम् वस्त्र अन्तेन प्रमार्जयत् || ४-७-१५
15. tena sugriivena = by that, Sugreeva; madhuram = sweetly; saantvitaH = solaced; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; ashru pari klinnam = by tears, fully covered; mukham = face; vastra antena = with cloth's, edge; pramaarjayat = dabbed.
Sweetly solaced thus by that Sugreeva Rama dabbed his face with the edge of cloth, which is covered fully with tears. [4-7-15]
प्रकृतिः स्थः तु काकुत्स्थः सुग्रीव वचनात् प्रभुः |
संपरिष्वज्य सुग्रीवम् इदम् वचनम् अब्रवीत् || ४-७-१६
16. prabhuH = the lord; kaakutsthaH = Rama; Sugreeva; vacanaat = by words of; prakR^itiH sthaH tu = in his own nature, steadied himself; sugriivam = Sugreeva is; sam pariSvajya = on embracing; idam vacanam abraviit = this, sentence, said.
Lord Rama steadied himself in his own nature by the words of Sugreeva, and on embracing him Rama said this sentence to him. [4-7-16]
कर्तव्यम् यत् वयस्येन स्निग्धेन च हितेन च |
अनुरूपम् च युक्तम् च कृतम् सुग्रीव तत् त्वया || ४-७-१७
17. Sugreeva; snigdhena hitena ca = by a friend, friendly one, also; vayasyena yat kartavyam = by friend, that which, is to be done; anuruupam ca = timely, also; yuktam ca = befitting, also; tat tvayaa = that which, by you; kR^itam = is done.
"Sugreeva, a friendly obligation that which is to be done, a benefiting, befitting and a timely one too, is what you have performed with your friendly advise... [4-7-17]
एष च प्रकृतिः स्थः अहम् अनुनीतः त्वया सखे |
दुर्लभो हि ईदृशो बन्धुः अस्मिन् काले विशेषतः || ४-७-१८
18. sakhe = oh, friend; tvayaa = by you; anuniitaH = implored; eSa aham = this, I am; prakR^itiH sthaH = in my nature, I steadied myself; iidR^ishaH bandhuH durlabhaH hi = this kind of, friend, impossible to get, indeed; asmin kaale = in these times; visheshataH = especially.
"Oh, friend, I steadied myself in my own nature when implored by you... it is impossible to get this kind of friend, especially at these times... [4-7-18]
किम् तु यत्नः त्वया कार्यो मैथिल्याः परिमार्गणे |
राक्षसस्य च रौद्रस्य रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ४-७-१९
19. kim tu = but; tvayaa maithilyaaH = by you, Maithili's; duraatmanaH raakshasasya raudrasya raavaNasya = evil-minded one, of demon's, furious, Ravana's; parimaargaNe yatnaH kaaryaH = search for, endeavour, is to be done.
"But, trying to search for Maithili and that furious, evil-minded demon Ravana, is your endeavour... [4-7-19]
मया च यद् अनुष्ठेयम् विस्रब्धेन तत् उच्यताम् |
वर्षासु इव च सुक्षेत्रे सर्वम् संपद्यते तव || ४-७-२०
20. mayaa ca yat anuSTeyam = by me, also, what, that is to be done; visrabdhena = in believability; tat ucyataam = that, be said; tava sarvam = your, all endeavour; varSaasu su kshetre iva = in rainy season, in good lands, as though [seeded crop]; sampadyate = be reaped.
"What is to done by me that be said in all believability, and all your endeavour will reap like the crops planted during rainy season in good lands... [4-7-20]
मया च यदिदम् वाक्यम् अभिमानात् समीरितम् |
तत् त्वया हरिशार्दूल तत् त्वम् इति उपधार्यताम् || ४-७-२१
21. hari shaarduula = oh, monkey, the tiger; mayaa = by me; abhimaanaat = in self-confidence; yat idam vaakyam samiiritam = which, this, word, is spoken; tat tvayaa = that, by you; tattvam iti = factually, thus; upadhaaryataam = they may be deemed.
"What that is spoken by me is in my self-confidence but not in any self-conceit, oh, tigerly-monkey, deem them as doubtless facts... [4-7-21]
अनृतम् न उक्त पूर्वम् मे न च वक्ष्ये कदाचन |
एतत् ते प्रतिजानामि सत्येन एव शपामि अहम् || ४-७-२२
22. me = by me; anR^itam na ukta puurvam = untruth, not, said, earlier; kadaacana na ca vakshye = anytimec[from now,] not, also, will speak; etat te pratijaanaami = this, to you, I promise; aham satyena eva shapaami = I am, by truthfulness, alone taking oath.
"Untruth is not uttered by me earlier nor will be at anytime from now, and all this I am promising you taking oath on that truthfulness alone.. [4-7-22]
ततः प्रहृष्टः सुग्रीवः वानरैः सचिवैः सह |
राघवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा प्रतिज्ञातम् विशेषतः || ४-७-२३
23. tataH = then; sacivaiH = vaanaraiH saha = with ministers, monkeys, along with; Sugreeva; raaghavasya vacaH = Rama's word; shrutvaa = on hearing; visheshataH = especially; pratijnaatam = of promise; prahR^iSTaH = is gladdened.
Then on hearing the words of Rama Sugreeva along with his monkey ministers is gladdened, especially of Rama promise. [4-7-23]
एवम् एकान्त संपृक्तौ ततः तौ नर वानरौ |
उभौ अन्योन्य सदृशम् सुख दुःखम् अभाष्ताम् || ४-७-२४
24. tataH = then; evam = thus; ekaanta = in privacy; sampR^iktau = met; tau = those two; nara = man; vaanarau = monkey; ubhau = both; anyonya sadR^isham = mutually befitting; sukha duHkham = pleasure and pain; abhaashtaam = discussed.
Then those two, the man and the monkey, met in privacy and both discussed in a mutually befitting manner about their pleasures and pains. [4-7-24]
महानुभावस्य वचो निशम्य
हरिर् नृपाणाम् अधिपस्य तस्य |
कृतम् स मेने हरिवीर मुख्यः
तदा च कार्यम् हृदयेन विद्वान् || ४-७-२५
25. vidvaan = the intellectual; saH hari viira mukhyaH = he that one, among monkey, heroes, chief; hariH = monkey - Sugreeva; mahaanubhaavasya = highly capable one's [Rama's]; tasya = of his; nR^ipaaNaam adhipasya = among kings, the best king [Rama]; vacaH = word; nishamya = on hearing; tadaa ca = then; kR^itam = accomplished; kaaryam = manoeuvre; hR^idayena = at heart; mene = he [Sugreeva], thought so.
On hearing the word of that intellectual, highly capable one and the best king among kings, namely Rama, he that Sugreeva, the chief among the monkey heroes, thought at heart that his manoeuvre to surpass his dominant brother Vali is accomplished. [4-7-25]
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे सप्तमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao, [Revised : March, '04