Monkeys are perturbed to see ocean which is breadthwise a hundred yojana-s, say a thousand miles, as none can leap a. Every important monkey says that his capability is just lesser than that. Angada is again despaired as none is coming forward, nor he is allowed to go, in the name of his prospective kingship. But Jambavanta pacifies and starts to encourage and invigorate Hanuma to undertake the task of leaping the ocean.
atha a.ngada vacaH shrutvaa sarve te vaanara uttamaaH |
svam svam gatau samutsaaham uucuH tatra yathaa kramam || 4-65-1
gajo gavaakSho gavayaH sharabho ga.ndhamaadanaH |
maindaH ca dvividaH caiva suSheNo jaaMbavaan tathaa || 4-65-2
1. atha angada vacaH shrutvaa = then, Angada's, words, on hearing; gajaH gavaakSaH gavayaH sharabhaH ga.ndhamaadanaH maindaH = Gaja, Gavaaksha, Gavaya, Sharabha, Gandhamaadana, Mainda; ca = also; dvividaH = Dvivida; caiva = also thus; suSeNaH = Susheshana; tathaa = like that; jaambavaan = Jambavanta; sarve te vaanara uttamaaH = all, those, vanara, best ones; yathaa kramam = according to, their turn; tatra gatau = therein [matter of leaping,] in leaping; svam svam samutsaaham = one's own, one's own [individual,] ability; uucuH = said.
Then on hearing the words of Angada those best vanara-s, anamely Gaja, Gavaaksha, Gavaya, Sharabha, Gandhamaadana, Mainda and Dvivida, and Susheshana, and like that Jambavanta have individually said about their abilities in the matter of leaping the ocean according to their turn. [4-65-1]
aababhaaShe gajaH tatra plaveyam dasha yojanam |
gavaakSho yojanaani aaha gamiShyaami iti viMshatim || 4-65-3
3. tatra = in that matter; gajaH dasha yojanam plaveyam aababhaaSe = Gaja, ten, yojana-s, I can fly, said; gavaakSaH vimshatim yojanaani gamiSyaami = Gavaaksha, twenty, yojana-s, I can go; iti aaha = thus, he said.
In that matter Gaja said, "I can fly ten yojana-s..." and Gavaaksha said, "I can go over twenty yojana-s..." [4-65-3]
sharabho vaanaraH tatra vaanaraan taan uvaaca ha |
tri.nshat gamiShyaami yojanaanaam plava.ngamaaH || 4-65-4
R^iSharabho vaanaraH tatra vaanaraan taan uvaaca ha |
catvaari.nshat gamiShyaami yojanaanaam na saMshayaH || 4-65-5
vaanaraan tu mahaatejaa abraviit ga.ndhamaadanaH |
yojanaanaam gamiShyaami pa.ncaashat tu na saMshayaH || 4-65-6
maindaH tu vaanaraH tatra vaanaraan taan uvaaca ha |
yojanaanaam param ShaShTim aham plavitum utsahe || 4-65-7
tataH tatra mahaatejaa dvividaH pratyabhaaShata |
gamiShyaami na sa.ndehaH saptatim yojanaani aham || 4-65-8
suSheNaH tu mahaatejaaH sattvavaan kapi sattamaH |
ashiitim pratijaane aham yojanaanaam paraakrame || 4-65-9
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. tatra = in that matter; sharabhaH vaanaraH = Sharabha, one vanara; taan vaanaraan = to them, monkeys; uvaaca ha = said, indeed; plavangamaaH = oh, fly-jumpers; yojanaanaam trinshat gamiSyaami = yojana-s, up to thirty, I can go; tatra = there; R^iSarabhaH vaanaraH = Rishabha, vanara; taan vaanaraan uvaaca ha = to them, monkeys, said, indeed; yojanaanaam catvaarimshat gamiSyaami = yojana-s, up to forty, I can go; samshayaH na = doubt, is not there; mahaatejaa gandhamaadanaH = great-resplendent, Gandhamaadana; vaanaraan abraviit = to monkeys, said; yojanaanaam pancaashat gamiSyaami = yojana-s, fifty, I can go; samshayaH na = doubt, is not there; tatra = in that matter; maindaH vaanaraH tu = Mainda, vanara, on his part; taan vaanaraan uvaaca ha = to them, monkeys, said, indeed; aham = I; yojanaanaam SaSTim param = yojana-s, sixty, up to; plavitum utsahe = to jump, I venture; tataH = then; mahaatejaa dvividaH = great-resplendent, Dvivida; tatra = in that matter; pratyabhaaSata = informed them; aham saptatim yojanaani gamiSyaami = I, seventy, yojana-s, can go; sandehaH na = doubt, is not there; mahaatejaaH = great-resplendent one; sattvavaan = mightiest; suSeNaH tu = Shushena; kapi sattamaH = monkey, the best - said; aham paraakrame = I, in leaping; yojanaanaam ashiitim pratijaane = yojana-s, eighty, I promise.
In that matter the vanara Sharabha said to the monkeys, "oh, fly-jumpers, I can indeed go up to thirty yojana-s..." The vanara Sharabha said, "I can go up to forty yojana-s, undoubtedly..." The great-resplendent Gandhamaadana said, "I can go up to fifty yojana-s, no doubt..." The vanara Mainda said the monkeys in that matter, "I venture to jump just sixty yojana-s..." Then the great-resplendent Dvivida informed, "I can go up to seventy yojana-s, no doubt..." But mighty Shushena, the best and the great resplendent monkey said, "I promise to jump eighty yojana-s..." [4-65-4]
teShaam kathayataam tatra sarvaan taan anumaanya ca |
tato vR^iddhatamaH teShaam jaaMbavaan pratyabhaaShata || 4-65-10
10. tataH = then; teSaam vR^iddha tamaH = oldest, of all; jaambavaan = Jambavanta; teSaam tatra kathayataam = by them, in that matter, while saying so; taan sarvaan anumaanya = them, all, on appreciating; pratyabhaaSata = to them said - in this way.
Jambavanta, the oldest one among all of them, appreciating them who are telling about their jumping capacities, has informed them in this way. [4-65-10]
puurvam asmaakam api aasiit kashcit gati paraakramaH |
te vayam vayasaH paaram anupraaptaaH sma saaMpratam || 4-65-11
11. puurvam asmaakam api = previously, for us, even; kashcit gati paraaakramaH aasiit = some, traversal, adventurousness, was there; te = such as we were; vayam = we are; saampratam = presently; vayasaH paaram anupraaptaaH sma = of age, other shore, reached, we are - I am.
"Previously there was some traversal daredevilry even for us, such as we were, we are presently on the other shore of our age... [4-65-11]
The use of the word 'us' is to mean 'for me...' as a kind of royal 'we'.
kim tu na evam gate shakyam idam kaaryam upekShitum |
yad artham kapi raajaH ca raamaH ca kR^ita nishcayau || 4-65-12
12. kim tu = how, ever; evam gate = this, being so; yat artham = for which, purpose; kapi raajaH ca = monkey's, king, also; raamaH ca = Rama, even; kR^ita nishcayau = decisively, decided - on getting their task solved; idam kaaryam = this, task; upekSitum = for a non-observance - marginalize; na = not; shakyam = possible.
"That being so, for which purpose the king of monkeys Sugreeva and even Rama are decisively decided on this task, it is impossible for us to marginalize this task... [4-65-12]
Jambavanta is cautioning the monkeys, who are evasive on the issue of going to Ravana's Lanka. When Sugreeva sent the very same monkeys to all directions, he said 'you all have an unimpeded egress and no limits for your capabilities...' etc., but here, all the monkeys are telling their capacity is 'a little lesser than a hundred yojana long jump...' It is not exactly their lack of aptitude to 'just jump' but it is their 'fear for Ravana' that is deterring them. As such, here Jambavanta as the senior most member had to reprimand them with words like 'non-observance, heedlessness...' etc.
saaMpratam kaalam asmaakam yaa gatiH taam nibodhata |
navatim yojanaanaam tu gamiShyaami na saMshayaH || 4-65-13
13. saampratam kaalam = in present, time - at this age; asmaakam = for us [for me]; yaa gatiH taam nibodhata = what, cruise, that, while I say [you understand]; yojanaanaam navatim gamiSyaami = yojana-s, ninety, I [we] can go; samshayaH na = doubt, is not there.
"While we say you may hear what cruise we have at this age... we can go up to ninety yojana-s, undoubtedly... [4-65-13]
taan ca sarvaan hari shreShThaan jaaMbavaan idam abraviit |
na khalu etaavat eva aasiit gamane me paraakramaH || 4-65-14
14. sarvaan taan hari shreSThaan = to all of, those, to monkey, best ones; jaambavaan idam ca abraviit = Jambavanta, this, also, said; me gamane paraakramaH = to me, in [the stint of] going, capability; etaavat eva = thereunto, only; na aasiit khalu = not, is there [limited,] definitely.
Jambavanta further said this to all of those best monkeys, "my capability in the stint of going was not definitely limited only thereunto... [4-65-14]
mayaa vairocane yaj~ne prabhaviShNuH sanaatanaH |
pradakShiNii kR^itaH puurvam kramamaaNaH trivikramaH || 4-65-15
15. maya = by me; puurvam = once; vairocane yaj~ne = in Vairocana's legatee's [Emperor Bali's,] Vedic-ritual's - at the time of]; kramamaaNaH = when He was treading; prabhaviSNuH = Omnipresent; sanaatanaH = Eternal [Vishnu]; trivikramaH = [in the incarnation of] Trivikrama; pradakSiNii kR^itaH = circumambulation, He was made by me.
"Once I have performed circumambulation around the Omnipresent and Eternal Vishnu in His incarnation as Trivikrama, when He grandiosely increased His physique from that of a Divine-Dwarfish Brahman boy to that of an Omnidirectional Being, thus filling whole of the Universe to tread all the three worlds, during the time of Vedic-ritual of Emperor Bali, the legatee of Vairocana... [4-65-15]
sa idaaniim aham vR^iddhaH plavane mandavikramaH |
yauvane ca tadaa aasiit me balam apratimam param || 4-65-16
16. idaaniim vR^iddhaH = presently, [I am] old [decrepit]; saH aham = such as I am; plavane manda vikramaH = in fly-jumping, slow, soldier of [mis-]fortune; tadaa yauvane = then, in youth; me balam a pratimam = my, energy was, un, matched; param = unsurpassed; aasiit = it was.
"Such as I was, I am presently old and decrepit and I have become slow jumping soldier of misfortune, though my energy in youth was unmatchable and unsurpassable. [4-65-16]
saMprati etaavat eva adya shakyam me gamane svataH |
na etaavataa ca saMsiddhiH kaaryasya asya bhaviShyati || 4-65-17
17. samprati = in the present [at this age]; adya me svataH gamane = now, for me, on my own, in going; etaavat eva shakyam = thereunto, only, is possible; etaavataa = by that much [endeavour]; asya kaaryasya samsiddhiH = that, task's, accomplishment; na bhaviSyati = not, will be there.
"Now, at this age it is possible for me to go on my own only thereunto... and by that much endeavour that task will be unaccomplished..." So said Jambavanta to monkeys. [4-65-17]
atha uttaram udaara artham abraviit a.ngadaH tadaa |
anumaanya mahaapraaj~no jaaMbava.ntam mahaakapim || 4-65-18
18. atha = later; tadaa = then; mahaapraaj~naH angadaH = highly intelligent, Angada; mahaakapim jaambavantam anumaanya = great monkey, Jambavanta, on reverencing; udaara artham = with salutary, meaningful [words]; uttaram = reply; abraviit = said.
Then on reverencing the great monkey Jambavanta, the highly intelligent Angada thereafter said these salutary words. [4-65-18]
Though Jambavanta is a bear he is reckoned as one with monkeys because bear's nature and behaviour 'nearly' equals that of gorillas, chimps, or even monkeys.
aham etat gamiShyaami yojanaanaam shatam mahat |
nivar.htane tu me shaktiH syaat na vaa iti na nishcitam || 4-65-19
19. aham = I; mahat etat yojanaanaam shatam = great [broadwise,] this, yojana-s, hundred [ocean's breadth,]; gamiSyaami = I can go [vault over]; nivartane me shaktiH syaat = in returning, to me, capability, is there; na vaa = not, or; iti = that; nishcitam na = definite, not.
"I can vault over this ocean which is broadwise in a hundred yojana-breadth, but whether I am capable of coming back or not, it is indefinite... [4-65-19]
tam uvaaca hari shreShTho jaaMbavaan vaakya kovidaH |
j~naayate gamane shaktiH tava hari R^ikSha sattama || 4-65-20
20. vaakya kovidaH jaambavaan = sentence making, expert, Jambavanta; tam hari shreSThaH [hari shreSTham] = him, to monkey, the best - Angada; uvaaca = said; hari R^ikSa sattama = oh, among monkeys, bears, best one - oh, Jambavanta; gamane tava shaktiH j~naayate = in traversal, your, capability, is known.
That expert in sentence making, Jambavanta said to the best one among monkeys namely Angada, "oh, Angada, the best one among monkeys and bears, I know about your capability in traversal... [4-65-20]
kaamam shata sahasram vaa na hi eSha vidhiH ucyate |
yojanaanaam bhavaan shakto gantum pratinivartitum || 4-65-21
21. bhavaan = you are; yojanaanaam = yojana-s; shata sahasram vaa = hundred, thousand, even; gantum pratinivartitum = to go, return; shaktaH kaamam = capable, if need be; eSa vidhiH = this, method; na hi ucyate = not, indeed, said [uncanonical.]
"Why a hundred, if need be you are capable to go up to a hundred thousand yojana-s and come back... but this method of our sending you is uncanonical... [4-65-21]
na hi preShayitaa taata svaamii preShyaH katha.ncana |
bhavataa ayam janaH sarvaH preShyaH plavaga sattama || 4-65-22
22. taata = oh, dear one; preSayitaa svaamii = sender [assigner,] a lord; kathancana = in anyway; preSyaH = to be sent [be an assignee]; na hi = not, indeed; plavaga sattama = oh, fly-jumper, the best - Angada; sarvaH ayam janaH = all, these, people - monkeys; bhavataa preSyaH = by you, sendable [assignable.]
"Oh, dear Angada, in anyway lord assigner cannot be an assignee, hence oh, best fly-jumper, all of these people are assignable by you... [4-65-22]
bhavaan kalatram asmaakam svaami bhaave vyavasthitaH |
svaamii kalatram sainyasya gatiH eShaa para.ntapa || 4-65-23
23. parantapa = oh, enemy-inflamer; svaami bhaave vyavasthitaH = as lord, in notion of, established; bhavaan = you are; asmaakam kalatram = for us, you are to be protected; svaamii sainyasya kalatram = lord, for army, is to be protected; eSaa gatiH = this is, the method.
"You are notionally established as our lord and we have to become your protectionists and, oh, enemy-inflamer Angada, lord becomes the protectionist of army... this alone is the method... [4-65-23]
The word kalatra meaning 'that which need be protected,' has other meanings like 'wife, buttock...' etc.
api vai etasya kaaryasya bhavaan muulam arim dama |
tasmaat kalatravat taata pratipaalyaH sadaa bhavaan || 4-65-24
24. taata = oh, dear one; arimdama = oh, enemy-subjugator; etasya kaaryasya = of this, task; bhavaan muulam api vai = you are, linchpin, even, really; tasmaat = thereby; bhavaan = you are; kalatravat = protected like; sadaa paalyaH = always, to be safeguarded.
"Oh, enemy-subjugator, really you are the linchpin to this mission, thereby oh, dear Angada, you are always to be protected like anything that needs safeguarding... [4-65-24]
muulam arthasya saMrakShyam eSha kaar.hyavidaam nayaH |
muule hi sati sidhyanti guNaaH puShpa phala udayaH || 4-65-25
25. arthasya muulam samrakSyam = of purpose [task,] prime mover, is to be safeguarded; eSa kaarya vidaam nayaH = this is, task, master's, byword; muule sati = prime mover, if only it is there; phala udayaH = fruits, yielding; sarve guNaaH sidhyanti = all, endowments, will accrue.
" 'The prime mover of a task is to be safeguarded...' is the byword of the taskmasters, and indeed if only the prime mover is there, all the endowments are achievable that yield fruits... [4-65-25]
tad bhavaan asya kaaryasya saadhanam satya vikramaH |
buddhi vikrama saMpanno hetuH atra para.ntapaH || 4-65-26
26. satya vikramaH = oh, truth, valiant one; tat bhavaan asya kaaryasya saadhanam = thereby, you are, of this, task's, instrument; parantapaH = oh, enemy-inflamer; atra = in this [task of searching Seetha]; buddhi vikrama sampannaH = sagacity, audacity, privileged with; hetuH principle - you are the keystone.
"Thereby, oh, truth-valiant Angada, you are instrumental to this task and as you are privileged with sagacity and audacity, oh, enemy-inflamer, you are the keystone for this task of searching Seetha... [4-65-26]
guruH ca guru putraH ca tvam hi naH kapi sattama |
bhavantam aashritya vayam samarthaa hi artha saadhane || 4-65-27
27. kapi sattama = oh, monkey, the best; naH guru putraH ca = for us, respected one's [Vali's,] son, too; tvam guruH ca = you are, a respectable one, also; vayam bhavantam aashritya = we, by you, sheltered; artha saadhane samarthaaH hi = objective [of our task,] in achieving, we will be capable, indeed.
"For us you are indeed a respectable one by yourself, and as the son of respected Vali too, and oh, best monkey, sheltered by you we are indeed capable of achieving the objective of our task..." So said Jambavanta to Angada. [4-65-27]
ukta vaakyam mahaapraaj~nam jaaMbava.ntam mahaakapiH |
pratyuvaaca uttaram vaakyam vaali suunuH atha a.ngadaH || 4-65-28
28. atha = then; mahaakapiH = great monkey; vaali suunuH angadaH = Vali's, son, Angada; ukta vaakyam = to one who has said his sentence - to Jambavanta; mahaapraaj~nam jaambavantam = to highly sagacious, to Jambavanta; uttaram vaakyam = answer, sentence; prati uvaaca = in reply, said.
When that highly scholarly Jambavanta has said thus, the great monkey and the son of Vali Angada said this sentence in reply as an answer. [4-65-28]
yadi na aham gamiShyaami na anyo vaanara pu.ngavaH |
punaH khalu idam asmaabhiH kaaryam praayopaveshanam || 4-65-29
29. aham na gamiSyaami yadi = I, not, to proceed, if; anyaH vaanara pungavaH na [gamiSyasi] = other, monkey, the best, not [does not go]; asmaabhiH punaH = by us, again [then]; idam praayopaveshanam kaaryam khalu = this, self-immolation, is to be undertaken, is it not.
"If I am not proceeding to Lanka, nor any other monkey is proceeding, then we have to undertake self-immolation once again, isn't it! [4-65-29]
na hi akR^itvaa hari pateH sa.ndesham tasya dhiimataH |
tatra api gatvaa praaNaanaam na pashyaami parirakShaNam || 4-65-30
30. dhiimataH = intellectual one [resolute one]; tasya hari pateH = of that, monkeys, husband's [king's]; sandesham a kR^itvaa = bidding, without, fulfilling; tatra gatvaa api = to there [to Kishkindha,] on going, even; praaNaanaam = for [our] lives; pari rakSaNam = secure protection = na pashyaami = not, I perceive.
"I do not perceive any secure protection for our lives on our going to Kishkindha without fulfilling the bidding of that resolute king of monkeys Sugreeva... [4-65-30]
sa hi prasaade ca atyartham kope ca hariH iishvaraH |
atiitya tasya sa.ndesham vinaasho gamane bhavet || 4-65-31
31. saH hariH = he, that monkey - Sugreeva; prasaade ca = in forgiveness, also; kope ca = in furiousness, also; atyartham iishvaraH = immoderately, a lord - will lord over; tasya sandesham atiitya = his, bidding, trespassing; gamane = in going [to Kishkindha]; vinaashaH bhavet = doom, occurs; [or, vinaashaH = doom; gamane = entering into; bhavet = will be - it I as good as entering our own doom.]
"Sugreeva is a lord who shows either forgiveness or furiousness immoderately... and our going to Kishkindha trespassing his bidding is as good as our entering into our own doom... [4-65-31]
tat tathaa hi asya kaaryasya na bhavati anyathaa gatiH |
tat bhavaan eva dR^iShTa arthaH saMci.ntayitum ar.hhati || 4-65-32
32. tat tathaa hi = that, that way, only - it will happen in that way only; asya kaaryasya gatiH = that, task's [our return to Kishkindha,] course - result; anyathaa na bhavati = other way round, not, will become - it will not be other way round; tat = thereby; dR^iSTa arthaH = envisioned, meaning [implications]; bhavaan eva = you, alone; samcintayitum arhati = to deeply think, apt of you.
"It will happen in that way only as our going back to Kishkindha results in no other way, thereby it will be apt of you to think deeply, as you can envision the implications..." Thus Angada said to Jambavanta. [4-65-32]
saH a.ngadena tadaa viiraH pratyuktaH plavagarShabhaH |
jaaMbavaan uttamam vaakyam provaaca idam tato a.ngadam || 4-65-33
33. angadena tadaa pratyuktaH = by Angada, that way, who is replied [Jambavanta]; viiraH = valiant one; plavagarSabhaH = fly-jumper, the best; saH jaambavaan = he, that Jambavanta; tataH = then; angadam = to Angada; uttamam idam vaakyam provaaca = best, this one, the sentence, spoke - advised.
When that best and valiant fly-jumper Jambavanta is said that way by Angada, then Jambavanta advised him in this best sentence to Angada. [4-65-33]
tasya te viira kaaryasya na kiMcit parihaasyate |
eSha saMcodayaami enam yaH kaaryam saadhayiShyati || 4-65-34
34. viira = oh, brave Angada; te = yours; tasya kaaryasya = of this, mission; kimcit na parihaasyate = in the least, not, be thwarted; eSa = this [me]; kaaryam yaH saadhayiSyati = mission, who, achieves success; enam samcodayaami = him, I will motivate.
"Oh, brave Angada, this mission of yours will not be thwarted in the least. I will motivate him who achieves success of this mission of searching Seetha... [4-65-34]
tataH pratiitam plavataam variShTham
ekaa.ntam aashritya sukhopaviShTam |
saMcodayaamaasa hari praviiro
haripraviiram hanuma.ntam eva || 4-65-35
35. tataH = then; hari praviiraH = among monkeys, outstanding one [Jambavanta]; pratiitam = at the distinguished one; plavataam variSTham = among fly-jumpers, exceptional one [Hanuma]; ekaantam aashritya = at lonely place, abiding; sukha upaviSTam = comfortably, sitting; hari pra viiram hanumantam eva = among moneys, marvellous one, Hanuma, alone; samcodayaamaasa = started to motivate.
Then Jambavanta, the outstanding one among monkeys started to motivate the exceptional fly-jumper, and a marvellous one among all the monkeys, and who by now is comfortably sitting abiding a lonely place, namely Hanuma. [4-65-35]
Here Hanuma is said to be sitting 'comfortably' far from the madding crowd of monkeys. When everybody is clamorous how can this monkey sit comfortably - is the doubt. In reply it is said, that he is apparently comfortable but in his heart of hearts the problem of vaulting over the ocean is churning. On one hand, Rama gave his golden ring to Hanuma in the presence of these very same monkey heroes, and on the other Angada is asking all the other monkeys to jump over the ocean. Hanuma is fully aware that all the other monkeys are somehow escaping the situation, not because they cannot jump just a hundred yojana ocean, but owing to the fear of Ravana. Hanuma neither fears Ravana nor cares his stooge-demons, but his concern himself with his duty. If somebody comes forward to leap, then it is well and good and Hanuma has to accompany that monkey as a standby, because he is handling the ring of Rama. If none comes forward, even in that event he has go to Lanka unaccompanied. In either case it is Hanuma who has to go, hence the 'comfortableness' is 'decisiveness' and thus he is decided of his duty. A verse from Skanda Puraana says this only:
niilo a~Ngado hanuumaan ca jaambavaan atha kesarii | samudra tiiram aagamya na shekuH spanditum padam | raavaNasya balam j~naatvaa tiire nada nadii pateH | skaanda puraaNa
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye kiShkindha kaaNDe pa.nca ShaShTitamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Mar, 2003, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : Jan 05