Hanuma advises Angada to not to desert the mainstream kingdom to establish a separate one, which will definitely attract the fury of Sugreeva. Hanuma uses political tactics in pacifying Angada, who is utterly terrorised of Sugreeva in the event of the failure of the task under his leadership.
तथा ब्रुवति तारे तु तारा अधिपति वर्चसि |
अथ मेने हृतम् राज्यम् हनुमान् अंगदेन तत् || ४५४१
1. taaraa adhipati varcasi = stars, lord [moon, similar in] shine; taare tathaa bruvati = by Lt. Tara, that way, has spoken; atha = then; hanumaan = Hanuma; angadena tat raajyam hR^itam = by Angada that, kingdom, stolen [laying siege to]; [iti] mene = [thus,] deemed.
When Lt Tara whose resplendence is similar to moonshine has spoken that way, then Hanuma deemed that Angada is laying siege to that kingdom of Vanaras. 
बुद्ध्या हि अष्ट अंगया युक्तम् चतुर् बल समन्वितम् |
चतुर् दश गुणम् मेने हनुमान् वालिनः सुतम् || ४५४२
2. hanumaan = Hanuma; vaalinaH sutam = of Vali's, son; aSTa angayaa buddhyaa yuktam hi = with eight, parts [eightfold,] intelligence, having, indeed; catuH bala sam anvitam = four, capabilities[tactics,] having; catuH dasha guNam = [having] four, ten [fourteen,] traits; mene = considered as.
Hanuma considered Vali's son Angada indeed as having eightfold intelligence, fourfold tactics, fourteen traits. 
The IQ of an average person is eightfold as said: -shushruuSha shavaNam caiva grahaNam dhaaraNam tathaa | uuha apoha artha vij~naanam tattva j~naanam ca dhii guNaaH
shushruuSa assiduously polite - 1] attentiveness; shravaNam ardently listening - 2] heedfulness; grahanam instantly grasping - 3] receptiveness; dhaaraNam continually remembering - 4] retentiveness; uuha discrimination of pros and cons - 5] speculativeness; apoha indecisiveness about the undesirables and receiving the worthwhile - 6] fastidiousness; artha vij~naanam substance's, comprehensive knowledge - 7] omniscience; tattva j~naanam quintessence's, profundity - 8] acumen.
The fourfold tactics or abilities are saama, daana, bheda, danDa 1] placation, 2] presentation, 3] partition, 4] persecution. The other way these four are four abilities mano bala, baahu bala, upaaya bala, bandhu bala self-assuring strengths of self-opinion, self-shoulder strtength, self-ideation and self-consistent supporters.
desha kaalaj~nata daarDhyam sarva klesha sahiShNutaa | sarva vij~naanitaa daakShyam uurjaH samvR^ita mantrataa | avisamviditaa shauryam shaktij~natvam kR^itaj~nataa | sharaNa aagata vatslyam amarShatvam acaalana | 1] knowledge of place and time, 2] sturdiness, 3] enduring troubles, 4] knowing all possible, 5] skilfulness, 6] self-defence, 7] maintaining confidentiality of strategies, 8] avoiding unwanted debates [or, not uttering lies, 9] courageousness, 10] recognising strengths and weaknesses of one's own and of others also, 11] faithfulness, 12] sheltering the seekers of shelter, 13] showing anger at appropriate times, 14] unwavering in opinions or actions.
आपूर्यमाणम् शश्वत् च तेजो बल पराक्रमैः |
शशिनम् शुक्ल पक्ष आदौ वर्धमानम् इव श्रिया || ४५४३
बृहस्पति समम् बुद्ध्या विक्रमे सदृशम् पितुः |
शुश्रूषमाणम् तारस्य शुक्रस्य इव पुरंदरम् || ४५४४
भर्तुः अर्थे परिश्रान्तम् सर्व शास्त्र विशारदः |
अभिसंधातुम् आरेभे हनुमान् अंगदम् ततः || ४५४५
3, 4, 5. shashvat = steadily; tejaH bala paraakramaiH = with spiritedness, mightiness, valorousness; aapuuryamaaNam = he who is brimming over; shukla pakSa aadau = white, fortnight, starting from; shashinam iva = moon, as with; shriyaa vardhamaanam [ angadam] = with grandeur, being broadened, [at Angada]; buddhyaa = by sagacity; bR^ihaspati samam = Brihaspati [Jupiter,] one who is comparable to; vikrame pituH sadR^isham = in intrepidity, father, who mirrors up; shukrasya purandaram iva = for Shukraacaarya, Indra, as with; taarasya = of Lt. Tara his advices; shushruuSamaaNam = one who is assiduously attentive; bhartuH arthe pari shraantam = in husbander's [king's, Sugreeva's] in concern, overly enervated [Angada]; angadam = to [such ] Angada; sarva shaastra vishaaradaH = in all, scriptures, scholarly Hanuma; or, sarva shaastra vidaam varam = in all, scripture, knowers, best one i.e., to Angada]; hanumaan = Hanuma; tataH = then; abhisamdhaatum [abhi sam dhaatum] = to confederate with Sugreeva; aarebhe = started to.
Angada who is steadily brimming over with his spiritedness, mightiness, valorousness, and waxing like the moon starting from day one of White Fortnight of a month, who is comparable to Brihaspati, the Jupiter, in sagacity, who mirrors up his father Vali in intrepidity, but who is now assiduously attentive to the rebellious teachings of Lt. Tara, like Indra who once listened to the unlistenable teachings of demon's mentor, namely Shukraacaarya, as that Angada is overly enervated to fulfil the concerns of the king Sugreeva. Then Hanuma who is the scholar in all scriptures started to confederate the confidence of Angada with the present regime of Sugreeva. [4543, 4, 5]
Indian categorisation of a month does not directly jump to weeks, but firstly into two fortnights, later into weeks and then to days: 1] paurNami, poorNima White Fortnight - where the moon will be waxing from new-moon-day; 2] amaavaasya Black Fortnight - where the moon will be waning to no-moon-day.
स चतुर्णाम् उपायानाम् तृतीयम् उपवर्णयन् |
भेदयामास तान् सर्वान् वानरान् वाक्य संपदा || ४५४६
6. saH = he Hanuma; caturNaam upaayaanaam = among four, ideations; tR^itiiyam upavarNayan = third one, while exemplifying; taan sarvaan vaanaraan = them, all, vanaras; vaakya sampadaa = by words', wealth, [rhetorically]; bhedayaamaasa = schismatically started to secede.
Hanuma then rhetorically started to the schismatic secession of all those vanaras, who are desirous of avoiding Sugreeva and desiring a hideout, exemplifying the third ideation, namely the partition, among the four political ideations, viz., placation, presentation, partition, persecution. 
The four ideations are saama, daana, bheda, daNDa upaayaaH The ideations for placation, presentation, partition, persecution, in connection with a political adversary.
तेषु सर्वेषु भिन्नेषु ततो अभीषय अंगदम् |
भीषणैः विविधैः वाक्यैः कोप उपाय समन्वितैः || ४५४७
7. teSu sarveSu bhinneSu = in them, in all, in defection [from Angada's idea of defecting from Sugreeva]; tataH = then; kopa upaaya samanvitaiH = anger [persecutory,] ideation, containing; bhiiSaNaiH vividhaiH vaakyaiH = with awesome, diverse, sentences [orations]; angadam abhiiSayat = Angada, is overawed by Hanuma.
When Hanuma made all of the vanaras to defect from Angada's idea of defecting Sugreeva, then Hanuma further overawed Angada with diverse and awesome orations containing the fourth ideation, namely the persecutory measures, employable by Sugreeva on defectors. 
त्वम् समर्थ तरः पित्रा युद्धे तारेय वै ध्रुवम् |
दृढम् धारयितुम् शक्तः कपि राज्यम् यथा पिता || ४५४८
8. taareya = oh, Lady Tara's son Angada; tvam yuddhe = you, in warfare; pitraa samartha taraH = with your father, able, more [abler than]; dhruvam = undeniably; pitaa yathaa = your father, as with; kapi raajyam dR^iDham dhaarayitum shaktaH = monkey, kingdom, unquestionably, to sustain, capable.
"As with your father you are undeniably abler in warfare, oh, the son of Lady Tara, and as with your father you are unquestionably capable enough to sustain the monkey kingdom." Thus Hanuma started to address Angada. 
नित्यम् अस्थिर चित्ता हि कपयो हरि पुंगव |
न आज्ञाप्यम् विषहिष्यन्ति पुत्र दारान् विना त्वया || ४५४९
9. hari pungava = oh, monkey, the best; kapayaH nityam a sthira cittaa hi = monkeys, always, not, consistent, at will, isn't it; putra daaraan vinaa = sons, wives, without separated from them; tvayaa = by you; aaj~naapyam = to be ordered to remain under your control; na vi SahiSyanti = not, verily, tolerate they will not abide.
"Oh, best monkey, Angada, monkeys will be inconsistent at their will, isn't it! Separated from their sons and wives they cannot tolerate to remain under your control for a long. 
त्वाम् न एते हि अनुयुंजेयुः प्रत्यक्षम् प्रवदामि ते |
यथा अयम् जांबवान् नीलः सुहोत्रः च महाकपिः || ४५४१०
न हि अहम् ते इमे सर्वे साम दान आदिभिः गुणैः |
दण्डेन न त्वया शक्याः सुग्रीवात् अपकर्षितुम् || ४५४११
10, 11. pratyakSam te yathaa pra vadaami = obviously, to you, as how, I am telling I am plainly telling what is obvious; ayam jaambavaan = this, Jambavanta; niilaH = Niila; mahaa kapiH suhotraH ca = great, monkey, Suhotra, also; ete = all these [monkeys]; tvaam = [after] you; na anu yunjeyuH hi = not, at heel, join, isn't it they won't tagalong you; [tathaa = likewise]; aham na hi = I [too,] will not, definitely, [tagalong you]; te ime = those, these such as they are they, or, we are; sarve = all of [us]; saama daana aadibhiH guNaiH = placation, presentation, and the like, by tactics; daNDena = [even] by persecution; tvayaa sugriivaat = by you, from Sugreeva; apa karSitum = away, pull to sidetrack; na shakyaaH = not, possible.
"I plainly tell you what is obvious. This Jambavanta, these monkeys like Niila, and great monkey Suhotra and others do not definitely tagalong you, isn't it. Likewise I too do not definitely tagalong you. Such as we are, it will be impossible for you to sidetrack us from Sugreeva using tactics like placation, presentation or even persecution, isn't so! [45410, 11]
विगृह्य आसनम् अपि आहुः दुर्बलेन बलीयसा |
आत्म रक्षा करः तस्मात् न विगृह्णीत दुर्बलः || ४५४१२
12. baliiyasaa dur balena = with mighty, less, mighty; vi gR^ihya = verily, antagonising [at odds with]; aasanam api aahuH = to linger on, even if, [so to] speak; tasmaat aatma rakSaa karaH = therefore, yourself, safeguard, do [guard yourself]; durbalaH na vigR^ihNiita = less mighty [mediocre mighty, mediocrities] not, will be at odds.
"Even if a mightless is at odds with the mighty he can linger on, so to speak, therefore guard yourself, for no mediocrity will be at odds... 
Vividly: 'though moralists say that the mighty shall not fall afoul of the mightless, but their relations will always be in estrangement... and the foulness of mightless with the mighty will run the relations afoul... thus, purchasing the wrath of the mighty by the mightless is futile... and such as you are, you seek asylum in such a cavity as counselled haphazardly by all these fickly monkeys... thus, beware that the mightless is the one who shall strive for selfguarding against the mighty, but not contrariwise...
याम् च इमाम् मन्यसे धात्रीम् एतत् बिलम् इति श्रुतम् |
एतत् लक्ष्मण बाणानाम् ईषत् कार्यम् विदारणे || ४५४१३
13. yaam imaam dhaatriim = of which, this one, of earth [going underground]; manyase = you suppose; etat bilam iti shrutam = this one, cavity [Black Hole,] thus, heard [by you from Lt. Tara]; lakSmaNa baaNaanaam = for Lakshmana's, arrows; etat vi daaraNe = all this [Black Hole] by far, to split apart; iiSat kaaryam = is a trifling, deed.
"This matter of going underground into that Black Hole which you suppose as a hideout from Sugreeva, as you heard from Lt. Tara and others, but it is a deed of trifle to Lakshmana's arrows, not necessarily for Rama's arrows, in splitting apart whole of that Black Hole in a trice. 
स्वल्पम् हि कृतम् इन्द्रेण क्षिपता हि अशनिम् पुरा |
लक्ष्मणो निशितैः बाणैः भिन्द्यात् पत्र पुटम् यथा || ४५४१४
14. puraa ashanim kSipataa hi = once, Thunderbolt, thudded, indeed; indreNa svalpam kR^itam hi = by Indra, trivial [deed,] done, indeed; lakSmaNaH nishitaiH baaNaiH = Lakshmana, with acute, arrows; patra puTam yathaa = leafy, bowl, as if [it is a]; bhindyaat = will splinter.
"Indeed, once Indra thudded his Thunderbolt on this very underground illusory place, but that act was indeed a trivial deed for that Thunderbolt made a single demonsized aperture to eliminate a single demon, Maya, which we now call Riksha bila, Black Hole, nevertheless Lakshmana will splinter whole of this Black Hole with his acute arrows, as if it is leafy bowl. 
लक्ष्मणस्य च नाराचा बहवः सन्ति तत् विधाः |
वज्र अशनि सम स्पर्शा गिरीणाम् अपि दारकाः || ४५४१५
15. vajra ashani sama sparshaa = Thunderbolt, Lightning Flash, equal, in touch [punch]; giriiNaam api daarakaaH = mountains, even, splitters of; tat vidhaaH = that, type of Thunderboltlike; bahavaH lakSmaNasya naaraacaa santi = numerous, Lakshmana's, ironarrows, are there.
"There are numerous ironarrows with Lakshmana that are kindred to Thunderbolt of Indra, whose punch will be equalling that of Thunderbolt and Lightning Flashes, and which are the splitters of mountains. 
Annex: 'of which you all may have heard, but a few of us like Jaambavanta, Nala, Neea, Lt. Tara and myself bear witness, personally... on piercing the seven sturdy trees Rama's arrow penetrated into the nethermost terrain of earth and resurfaced... then, Lakshmana's arrow can pulverise mountains, isn't so...'
अवस्थाने यदा एव त्वम् आसिष्यसि परंतप |
तदा एव हरयः सर्वे त्यक्ष्यन्ति कृत निश्चयाः || ४५४१६
16. parantapa = oh, enemyburner Angada; tvam yadaa eva = you, as and when; ava sthaane = down, place [underground, or, an unworthy place for a crown prince]; aasiSyasi = you settle down; tadaa eva = then, only; sarve harayaH = all, monkeys; kR^ita nishcayaaH = on making, resolve; tyakSyanti = will desert [you.]
"As and when you settle down in that underground, more so, an unbefitting place for a crown prince, oh, enemyburner Angada, then and there all the monkeys will desert you resolvedly. 
स्मरंतः पुत्र दाराणाम् नित्य उद्विग्ना बुभुक्षिताः |
खेदिता दुःख शय्याभिः त्वाम् करिष्यन्ति पृष्ठतः || ४५४१७
17. putra daaraaNaam smarantaH = sons, wives, reminiscing; nitya udvignaa = always, sulking; bubhukSitaaH = hungered [for palatability]; duHkha shayyaabhiH = on lament, beds; kheditaaH = made to lament; tvaam pR^iSThataH kariSyanti = you, backwards, they render they push you back.
"Always sulking and reminiscing on their sons and wives, and hungered for the proximity of their kinfolk and hungered for diverse palatability as any monkey would cherish, even so, lamenting on the beds of lament they push you backwards. 
स त्वम् हीनः सुहृद्भिः च हित कामैः च बंधुभिः |
तृणात् अपि भृश उद्विग्नः स्पंदमानात् भविष्यसि || ४५४१८
18. su hR^idbhiH ca = with good, hearted ones; hita kaamaiH bandhubhiH ca = well, wishers, with relatives, also; hiinaH = devoid of; saH tvam = he, you such as you are; spandamaanaat tR^iNaat api = shaking, than a strawblade, even; bhR^isha udvignaH = muchly, sullen [highly frightened]; bhaviSyasi = you will become [end up.]
"Devoid of goodhearted friends and wellwishing relatives, you will become highly sullen in solitariness. Such as you are you will end up as a highly frightened monkey, even from the shaking of a piece of straw.
"Devoid of goodhearted friends and wellwishing relatives, you will become highly sullen in solitariness. Such as you are you will end up as a highly frightened monkey and you will end up much the same as a seamy shaky piece of straw. 
He will become 'a crown prince of straw...' anena parijanaiH pari tyaktaH tR^iNaat api laghu taro bhavati iti suucitam - dk if he discards his own people.
अति उग्र वेगा निशिता घोरा लक्ष्मण सायकाः |
अपवृत्तम् जिघांसन्तो महावेगा दुरासदाः || ४५४१९
19. lakSmaNa saayakaaH = Lakshmana's, arrows; ati ugra vegaa = by far, fiercely, speeded [frantic]; nishitaaH = twingeing; ghoraaH = terrifyingly; apa aavR^ittam = to side, going sidestepping, you; jighaamsantaH = intended to kill if targeted to kill you; mahaa vegaa duraasadaaH = highly, speedy [fierily frenetic arrows,] unassailable [here, irreversible.]
"By far, those fiercely frantic arrows of Lakshmana if targeted to kill you, in case you become a sidestepper from loyalties, will be terrifyingly twingeing. Further, those fierily frenetic arrows are irreversible. 
अस्माभिः तु गतम् सार्धम् विनीतवत् उपस्थितम् |
आनुपूर्व्यात् तु सुग्रीवो राज्ये त्वाम् स्थापयिष्यति || ४५४२०
20. tu = but; asmaabhiH saa ardham gatam = us, along with, resolute [resolutely,] if gone [if returning to Kishkindha]; viniitavat = like an obedient one; upa sthitam = nearby, staying [staying at his side, flanker]; tvaam = you; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; raajye = in kingdom; aanupuurvyaat = as before, only; sthaapayiSyati = establishes.
"But, if you return to Kishkindha along with us, and if you obediently become Sugreeva's flanker, he establishes you only in kingdom as before. 
धर्म राजः पितृव्यः ते प्रीति कामो दृढ व्रतः |
शुचिः सत्य प्रतिज्ञः च स त्वाम् जातु न नाशयेत् || ४५४२१
21. te pitR^ivyaH = your, paternaluncle Sugreeva; dharma raajaH = with probity, he gleams he gleams with probity; priiti kaamaH = affection, desirer of; dR^iDha vrataH = staunchly, dedicated; shuciH = clean [exonerative]; satya pratij~naH ca = to principles, pledged, also; saH tvaam jaatu = he, you, in no way; na naashayet = not, liquidates.
"Your paternaluncle Sugreeva's gleam is his honesty as he is free of dishonesty, his desire is affection as he is free of aversion, his dedication is staunch as he is free of prevarication, and he himself is exoneration as he is free from exploitation, thus in no way he liquidates you. 
प्रिय कामः च ते मातुः तत् अर्थम् च अस्य जीवितम् |
तस्य अपत्यम् च न अस्ति अन्यत् तस्मात् अंगद गम्यताम् || ४५४२२
22. te maatuH priya kaamaH ca = you, mother's, well, wisher, also; asya jiivitam tat artham ca = his [Sugreeva's, strife of] life, for that, reason [for the sake of Lady Tara]; tasya anyat apatyam ca na asti = to him [to Sugreeva,] other, posterity, also, not, is there; angada = oh, Angada; tasmaat gamyataam = oh, Angada, therefore, begone [to Kishkindha.]
"He is your mother's wellwisher, the strife of Sugreeva's life is for her only, more so, there is no other posterity to him than you. Oh, Angada, therefore go back to Kishkindha, rather than deflecting, deviating and deserting your own kingdom. 
By these words of advise Hanuma is said to have used all the four tactics of saama, daana, bheda, daNDa upaayaaH 'political ideations of 1] placation, 2] presentation, 3] partition, 4] persecution. This is how that is explained: atra tvam samartha taraH pitraa 4548 iti anena saama uktam | nityam asthira cittaa 4549 iti anena bheda uktaH | tvaam jaatu na naashayet 45421 anena daNda uktaH | asmaabhiH tu gatam saardham anena daanam uktam | evam bhedo api hanumataa saama daana danNDa puurvaka eva kR^itaH | tena bhedanaa angado api bivhiiShitaH | dk As these references are already there, they are not reiterated here.
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे चतुः पंचाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Dec, 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : December 04]
angada and verse
Secure FTPS (SSL) on the planet Go FTP FREE Software