The war cries of monkey soldiers in their enthusiasm to conquer Ravana are uttered in the audience of Sugreeva, when all of them started to their designated directions. This suggests the sugriiva aaj~na 'the inviolable order of Sugreeva.'
सर्वाः च आहूय सुग्रीवः प्लवगान् प्लवगर्षभः |
समस्तान् च अब्रवीत् राजा राम कार्यार्थ सिद्धये || ४-४५-१
एवम् एतत् विचेतव्यम् भवद्भिः वानरोत्तमैः |
1, 2a. plavaga rSabhaH = of fly-jumper, the best one; raajaa sugriivaH = king [of monkeys,] Sugreeva; sarvaaH plavagaan aahuuya = all of them, fly-jumpers, calling forth; raama kaarya artha siddhaye = Rama's, task, purpose, to achieve; samastaan = to all of them; abraviit = spoke to; vaanara uttamaiH = vanara-s, best ones; bhavadbhiH = by you; evam etat = in this way [as I detailed,] all this [earth]; vicetavyam = shall be searched.
On calling forth all the fly-jumpers for achieving the purpose of Rama's task the best fly-jumper and the king of monkeys Sugreeva spoke to all of them, "oh, best vanara-s, you shall search all of this earth as I have detailed." Sugreeva said so to all monkeys. [4-45-1, 2a]
तत् उग्र शासनम् भर्तुर् विज्ञाय हरि पुंगवाः || ४-४५-२
शलभा इव संछाद्य मेदिनीम् संप्रतस्थिरे |
2, 3a. hari pungavaaH = monkey, best ones; bhartuH = of husband [king of vanara-s]; tat ugra shaasanam = that, arduous, order; vij~naaya = on understanding; mediniim shalabhaaH iva = earth, grasshoppers, as with; samChaadya = covering over; sam pra tasthire = well started out.
Understanding that arduous order of the king of monkeys Sugreeva those best monkeys started out covering the earth like grasshoppers. [4-45-2, 3a]
रामः प्रस्रवणे तस्मिन् न्यवसत् सह लक्ष्मणः || ४-४५-३
प्रतीक्षमाणः तम् मासम् यः सीता अधिगमे कृतः |
3b, 4a. raamaH = Rama; saha lakSmaNaH = with, Lakshmana; yaH siitaa adhigame kR^itaH = which, for Seetha's, reaching out, made - marked for locating Seetha; tam maasam = that, month; prati iikSamaaNaH = forward, looking to; tasmin prasravaNe nyavasat = on that, Prasrvana [mountain,] he dwelled - remained.
Rama remained on that Mt. Prasravana along with Lakshmana looking forward to that month which is marked for locating Seetha. [4-45-3b, 4a]
उत्तराम् तु दिशम् रम्याम् गिरि राज समावृताम् || ४-४५-४
प्रतस्थे सहसा वीरो हरिः शतबलिः तदा |
4b, 5a. tadaa = then; shatabaliH viiraH hariH = Shatabali, brave, monkey; giri raaja sam aavR^itaam = by mountain, king - Himalayas, encompassed by; ramyaam uttaraam disham = to beautiful, northern, direction; sahasaa pratasthe = swiftly, transited.
Then the brave monkey Shatabali swiftly started towards the beautiful northern quarter that is encompassed by the king of mountains, namely Himavanta. [4-45-4b, 5a]
पूर्वाम् दिशम् प्रति ययौ विनतो हरि यूथपः || ४-४५-५
तारा अंगदादि सहितः प्लवगः पवनात्मजः |
अगस्त्य चरिताम् आशाम् दक्षिणाम् हरि यूथपः || ४-४५-६
5b, 6. hari yuuthapaH vinataH = monkey, troop-commander, Vinata; puurvaam disham prati yayau = to eastern, direction, towards, journeyed; hari yuuthapaH = monkey, leader; pavana aatmajaH = Air-god's, son; plavagaH = fly-jumper - Hanuma; taaraa angada aadi sahitaH = Tara, Angada, others, along with; agastya caritaam = by Agastya, trodden; dakSiNaam aashaam = direction, southerly; [yayau = travelled to.
The monkey-troop commander Vinata journeyed towards the eastern direction, and the fly-jumper, leader of monkeys and Air-god's son Hanuma travelled towards southerly quarter that is once trodden by Sage Agastya, along with Lt. Tara, Prince-regent Angada, and others. [4-45-5b, 6]
पश्चिमाम् तु दिशम् घोराम् सुषेणः प्लवगेश्वरः |
प्रतस्थे हरि शार्दूलो दिशम् वरुण पालिताम् || ४-४५-७
7. plavaga iishvaraH = fly-jumper's, commander; hari shaarduulaH = monkey, tigerly one; suSeNaH = Sushena; varuNa paalitaam disham = by Rain-god, ruled, direction; ghoraam pashcimaam disham = horrifying, western, direction; pratasthe = started out.
The commander of fly-jumpers and a tigerly monkey Sushena started out towards the horrifying western direction that is ruled by Varuna, the Rain-god. [4-45-7]
ततः सर्वा दिशो राजा चोदयित्वा यथा तथम् |
कपि सेना पतीन् वीरो मुमोद सुखितः सुखम् || ४-४५-८
8. tataH = latter; viiraH raajaa = valorous, king - Sugreeva; kapi senaa patiin = monkey, army, commanders; yathaa tatham = according to their capabilities; sarvaa dishaH codayitvaa = to all, directions, having sent; sukhitaH = is contented; sukham mumoda = contentedly [to his heart's content,] gladdened.
Then on disposing the commanders of monkey army to all directions according to their capabilities, that valorous king Sugreeva who is contented earlier by way of gaining his kingdom through Rama, is now gladdened to his heart's content for sending monkey troops to all directions as a requital to Rama's help. [4-45-8]
एवम् संचोदिताः सर्वे राज्ञा वानर यूथपाः |
स्वाम् स्वाम् दिशम् अभिप्रेत्य त्वरिताः संप्रतस्थिरे || ४-४५-९
9. raaj~naa evam sam coditaaH = by king [Sugreeva,] in this way, who are sent; sarve vaanara yuuthapaaH = all of the, vanara, lieutenants; svaam svaam disham = his own, his own, direction; abhi pretya = readying to go; tvaritaaH sampratasthire = expeditiously, started out.
In this way when despatched by their king Sugreeva all the vanara lieutenants expeditiously started towards one's own direction. [4-45-9]
नदन्तः च उन्नदन्तः च गर्जन्तः च प्लवंगमाः |
क्ष्वेलन्तो धावमानाः च विनदन्तो महाबलाः || ४-४५-१०
10. mahaabalaaH plavan gamaaH = great mighty, fly-jumpers; nadantaH ca = bawling, also; ud nadantaH ca = highly, blaring, also; garjantaH ca = thundering, also; kSvelantaH [or, kshhveDantaH] = roaring like lions; vi [vicitra naada] nadantaH = oddly, bellowing; dhaava maanaaH = they started to dash off.
When those great mighty fly-jumpers have started to dash off some are bawling, some highly blaring, some more thundering, and some more oddly bellowing, while some more are roaring like lions. [4-45-10]
एवम् संचोदिताः सर्वे राज्ञा वानर यूथपाः |
आनयिष्यामहे सीताम् हनिष्यामः च रावणम् || ४-४५-११
11. raaj~naa = by king - Sugreeva; evam samcoditaaH = this way, well-motivated; sarve vaanara yuuthapaaH = all of the, vanara, lieutenants; aanayiSyaamahe siitaam = we will lead forth, Seetha; raavaNam haniSyaamaH ca = Ravana, we wish to kill, also; [vacanam uucuH ca = words, boasted, also.]
Well-motivated this way by the king Sugreeva those vanara lieutenants put their fortitude into boastful words and said, "we lead forth Seetha, we wish to kill Ravana." [4-45-11]
अहम् एको वधिष्यामि प्राप्तम् रावणम् आहवे |
ततः च उन्मथ्य सहसा हरिष्ये जनक आत्मजाम् || ४-४५-१२
12. aham ekaH = I, single-handedly; aahave praaptam raavaNam = on battlefield, chanced, vadhiSyaami = I wish to kill; tataH ca = then, also; unmathya = on drubbing; [itara raakshasaan = other, demons]; sahasaa janaka aatmajaam aahariSye = quickly, daughter, Seetha, I bring back.
"I will kill Ravana single-handedly if he chances on battlefield, and then on drubbing the other demons I will quickly bring back Janaka's daughter, Seetha." Another monkey soldier said so. [4-45-12]
वेपमानम् श्रमेण अद्य भवद्भिः स्थीयताम् इति |
एक एव आहरिष्यामि पातालात् अपि जानकीम् || ४-४५-१३
13. vepamaanam shrameNa adya = shivering [Seetha,] by enervation; jaanakiim = Janaki; paataalaat api = from netherworld, even; eka eva = by myself; aahariSyaami = I will bring back; adya = now; bhavadbhiH sthiiyataam = by you [monkey colleagues,] stay back; iti = thus - one more monkey said.
"I alone will bring back Janaki even from netherworlds, who might be shivering owing to enervation, and you my monkey-soldier colleagues, you all may stay behind now." Thus another monkey-hero said. [4-45-13]
विधमिष्यामि अहम् वृक्षान् दारयिष्यामि अहम् गिरीन् |
धरणीम् दारयिष्यामि क्षोभयिष्यामि सागरान् || ४-४५-१४
14. aham = I will; vR^ikSaan = trees; vidhamiSyaami [vi dham iSyaami] = can completely, shatter; aham giriin daara yiSyaami = I will, mountains, shred; dharaNiim daarayiSyaami = earth, I wish to split; saagaraan kSobha yiSyaami = oceans, I wish to storm.
"I will completely shatter the trees, shred the mountains, split the earth and storm the oceans." Thus another monkey gave war cry. [4-45-14]
अहम् योजन संख्यायाः प्लविता न अत्र संशयः |
शतम् योजन संख्यायाः शतम् समधिकम् हि अहम् || ४-४५-१५
15. aham yojana sankhyaayaaH shatam = I will, yojana numbers, a hundred, - hundred yojana-s in number; plavitaa atra na sanshayaH = can fly-jump, there is, no, doubt; aham = I; [plavitaa = can leap]; shatam yojana sankhyaayaaH = hundred, yojana, in number; sam adhikam = even, more; hi = for sure; [I will fly-jump.]
"I can fly-jump a hundred yojana-s, undoubtedly," said one monkey while the other said, "I can jump even more than a hundred yojana-s, for sure." [4-45-15]
भू तले सागरे वा अपि शैलेषु च वनेषु च |
पातालस्य अपि वा मध्ये न मम आच्छिद्यते गतिः || ४-४५-१६
16. bhuu tale = on earth's, plane; saagare vaa api = in ocean, or, even; shaileSu ca vaneSu ca = in mountains, also, in forests, also; paataalasya api vaa madhye = in netherworld, even, or, in the core of; mama gatiH = my, transit; na aacChidyate = not, thwarted.
"My transit cannot be thwarted either on the plane of earth, or in the ocean, or on mountains or in forests, or in the netherworld, or in its core." This is the slogan of another monkey-warrior. [4-45-16]
इति एकैकः तदा तत्र वानरा बल दर्पिताः |
ऊचुः च वचनम् तस्य हरि राजस्य सन्निधौ || ४-४५-१७
17. tadaa = then; vaanaraa = vanara-s; bala darpitaaH = by might, in proper pride; tatra = there; tasya hari raajasya sannidhau = that, monkey, king's, in audience; eka ekaH = one by one; iti = in this way; vacanam uucuH = words [war whoops,] uttered - and departed.
Thus each individual vanara gave war-whoops with the proper proud of his might in the audience of monkeys king Sugreeva and departed. [4-45-17]
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे पंच चत्वारिन्शः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Sept, 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : November 04]
verse and monkey
HTML transferred by Go FTP FREE Program