Sugreeva on his enthronement and gaining an interval of rainy reason, lapses into lavish enjoyment of sensual pleasures. His indulgence becomes overindulgence and makes him to forget his promise-oriented duty to search for Seetha. As an intelligent minister, Hanuma approaches Sugreeva and enlightens Sugreeva about his duty for the requital of help rendered by Rama. Ordering Niila, a commander of monkey forces, for foregathering all monkey troops within fifteen days, Sugreeva re-enters his palace-chambers, dragged by his sensual pleasures.
समीक्ष्य विमलम् व्योम गत विद्युत् बलाहकम् |
सारसा आकुल संघुष्टम् रम्य ज्योत्स्ना अनुलेपनम् || ४-२९-१
समृद्ध अर्थम् च सुग्रीवम् मन्द धर्मार्थ संग्रहम् |
अत्यर्थम् च असताम् मार्गम् एकांत गत मानसम् || ४-२९-२
निवृत्त कार्यम् सिद्धार्थम् प्रमद अभिरतम् सदा |
प्राप्तवन्तम् अभिप्रेतान् सर्वान् एव मनोरथान् || ४-२९-३
स्वाम् च पात्नीम् अभिप्रेताम् ताराम् च अपि समीप्सिताम् |
विहरंतम् अहो रात्रम् कृतार्थम् विगत ज्वरम् || ४-२९-४
क्रीडन्तम् इव देवेशम् गन्धर्व अप्सरसाम् गणैः |
मंत्रिषु न्यस्त कार्यम् च मंत्रिणाम् अनवेक्षकम् || ४-२९-५
उच्छिन्न राज्य संदेहम् काम वृत्तम् इव स्थितम् |
निश्चित अर्थो अर्थ तत्त्वज्ञः काल धर्म विशेष वित् || ४-२९-६
प्रसाद्य वाक्यैः मधुरैः हेतुमद्भिः मनो रमैः |
वाक्यवित् वाक्य तत्त्वज्ञम् हरीशम् मारुतात्मजः || ४-२९-७
हितम् तथ्यम् च पथ्यम् च साम धर्म अर्थ नीतिमत् |
प्रणय प्रीति संयुक्तम् विश्वास कृत निश्चयम् || ४-२९-८
हरीश्वरम् उपागम्य हनुमान् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् |
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9a. vimalam = clear; gata vidyut balaahakam = on which gone are, electric charges - lightning, back-clouds; saarasaa aakula sam ghuSTam = with Saarasa birds, bustles, well, vibrant; ramya jyotsnaa anulepanam = with delightful, moonshine, smudged with; vyoma = sky; on seeing, and; samR^iddha artham = one with abundant, riches; manda dharma artha sangraham = who slowed down, in probity, prosperity, in accumulating; ati artham = too, much; a sataam maargam = one who is following - un, virtuous ones, course of, of transgression; ekaanta gata maanasam = privacy, gone in, with a heart; nivR^itta kaaryam = one who turned away, from [other] pursuits; siddha artham = one who achieved, goals; sadaa pramada abhiratam = always, in females, indulged; sarvaan manorathaan = all, dearest longings; and; abhipretaam = one who is choicest; svaam paatniim abhipretaam ca = his own, wife; and; samiipsitaam taaraam ca api = highly coveted, Tara, also even; praaptavantam = one who gained; ahaH raatram viharantam = day, night [day in and day out,] merrymaking; kR^ita artham = one who is making much of, his fortune; vigata jvaram = gone, fever - getting rid of other problems; gandharva apsarasaam gaNaiH kriiDantam = with gandharva-s, apsara-s, with cohorts, sporting; devesham iva = god's, king - Indra, one who is like; mantriSu nyasta kaaryam ca = among ministers, reposing, activity - of kingdom, also; mantriNaam = at ministers; an avekSakam = one who does - notm making eyes at; ucChinna raajya a sandeham = about disrupted, kingdom, not, doubting - doubtless of the kingdom which once was disrupted from his control; kaama vR^ittam iva sthitam = with eroticism, encompassed, as though, continuing - wallowing in promiscuity; at such; hari iisham = who is monkeys, king; sugriivam ca = Sugreeva, also; samiikSya = on observing; nishcita arthaH = one who is assertive - forthright, regarding norms; artha tattva j~naH = of norms, subtleties, knower of; kaala dharma visheSa vit = time, duty [rubrics of,] an exceptional, the knower of; vaakya vit = articulator - golden-tongued, [after silver-tongued]; maaruta aatmajaH = who is Air-god's, son; such as he is; Hanuma; vaakya tattva j~nam = of words, import, knower of - to the explicator, to Sugreeva; upa aagamya = to his near, on coming - seeking his presence; madhuraiH = sweet ones; hetumadbhiH = reasonable - words; manaH ramaiH = heart, pleasing - words; vaakyaiH = with words; prasaadya = on winning grace - of Sugreeva; words that are; hitam = beneficial; tathyam ca pathyam ca = pragmatic, also, profitable, also; saama dharma artha niitimat = the words that are - impressive, immaculate, imperative, impartial; praNaya priiti samyuktam = love, affection - care and concern, inclusive of; vishvaasa kR^ita nishcayam = belief, making, determination - determining with a belief that Sugreeva will pay heed to his words; vaakyam abraviit = words, spoke.
On observing clear sky on which back-clouds and electric charges have disappeared, on which Saarasa birds are vibrantly bustling and delightful moonshine is coated, and even on observing him whose riches are abundant, who has slowed down in accumulating probity and prosperity from the viewpoint of rectitude, highly engrossed in the course of unvirtuous profligates, whose heart is given to undisturbed privacy, and the one who on achieving his goals and dearest longings has turned away from other pursuits, who regained his choicest wife, and gained highly covetable Lady Tara, thus, who is always indulged in females, merrymaking day in and day out on a par with Indra, which Indra will be sporting with the cohorts of gandharva and apsara females, thereby he who is making much of his fortune on getting rid of other problems, besides, he who reposed the activity of kingdom in his ministers, yet, who does not make eyes at those ministers as he is doubtless of the kingdom which was once disrupted from his control, because, that kingdom is looked after well by the very same ministers, as such he is wallowing in promiscuity, such as he is, seeking the presence of such a Sugreeva, king of monkeys and an explicator, and even on winning his grace, he who is forthright regarding norms of ethics, an exceptional knower of subtleties of transactions and the rubrics of duty and time, that golden-tongued Hanuma, the son of Air-god, spoke sweet words that are reasonable, heart-pleasing, beneficial, pragmatic, profitable, impressive, immaculate, imperative, and impartial, and which words are also inclusive of care and concern of Hanuma, on making a determination with a belief that Sugreeva will pay heed to his words. [4-29-1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9a]
राज्यम् प्राप्तम् यशः चैव कौली श्रीः अभिवर्थिता || ४-२९-९
मित्राणाम् संग्रहः शेषः तत् भवान् कर्तुम् अर्हति |
9b, 10a. raajyam = kingdom; yashaH ca = glory, as well; praaptam = is acquired; kaulii - kulasya = familial - dynastic; shriiH = prosperity; eva = that way; abhivarthitaa = is enriched; mitraaNaam samgrahaH sheSaH = of friends, foregathering - companionability, is remnant; tat bhavaan kartum arhati = that, you, to do, apt of you.
"Acquired is the kingdom and glory as well, thus enriched is your dynastic prosperity, but foregathering friends is still remaining, and it will be apt of you to negotiate it. [4-29-9b, 10a]
यो हि मित्रेषु कालज्ञः सततम् साधु वर्तते || ४-२९-१०
तस्य राज्यम् च कीर्तिः च प्रतापः च अपि वर्धते |
10b, 11a. yaH hi = who, indeed; kaala j~naH = time, knower - punctual; satatam mitreSu saadhu vartate = always, with friends, amiably, conducts; tasya raajyam ca kiirtiH ca = his, kingdom, glory, also; prataapaH ca api = valour, also, even; vardhate = flourishes.
"Indeed, he who really conducts himself punctually and amicably with friends, his kingdom, glory and valour will flourish. [4-29-10b, 11a]
यस्य कोशः च दण्डः च मित्राणि आत्मा च भूमिप |
समानि एतानि सर्वाणि स राज्यम् महत् अश्नुते || ४-२९-११
11b, c. bhuumi pa = oh, land, ruler of; yasya = whose; koshaH ca = treasury, also; daNDaH ca = army - who are punishers of enemies; also; mitraaNi aatmaa ca = friends, his own self - his own sovereignty, also; etaani sarvaaNi = these, all; samaani = will be balancing; saH mahat raajyam ashnute = he, matchless, kingdom, enjoys.
"Matchless kingdom is his who can keep his treasury, army, friends and his own sovereignty - all these four, in equiponderance. [4-29-11b, c]
तत् भवान् वृत्त संपन्नः स्थितः पथि निरत्यये |
मित्रार्थम् अभिनीतार्थम् यथावत् कर्तुम् अर्हति || ४-२९-१२
12. tat = therefore - to balance of your power; vR^itta sampannaH = in conduct, well-off - one with straightforward actions; bhavaan = you; nir atyaye = without, peril; pathi sthitaH = on path, abiding - resort to an unimperilled course of action; abhi niita artham = towards, approached, purpose of - the purpose for which Rama and Lakshmana came towards your fore, as promised by you; mitra artham = a friend, purpose of; yathaavat = dutifully; kartum arhati = to make it to happen - you have to achieve, apt of you.
"Therefore, as the one with straightforward actions firstly you resort to an unimperilled course of action, lest any peril is imminent, and it will be apt of you to dutifully achieve the purpose of your friend Rama, for which alone Rama along with Lakshmana came to you, thus let your power preponderate. [4-29-12]
संत्यज्य सर्व कर्माणि मित्रार्थम् यो न वर्तते |
संभ्रमात् हि कृत उत्साहः सः अनर्थेन अवरुध्यते || ४-२९-१३
13. yaH = who; sarva karmaaNi sam tyajya = all, [other] activities, leaving off; sambhramaat = expeditiously; kR^ita utsaahaH = made, enthusiasm - enthusiastic - in personal affairs; mitra artham na vartate = for friend's, sake, will not, strive; saH = he; an arthena = by bad luck, misadventure; avarudhyate hi = he will be thwarted, indeed.
"Adversity thwarts him who comports himself with overenthusiasm only in self-indulgences, and who does not expeditiously strive for the sake of his friend leaving off all other activities of self-indulgence. [4-29-13]
Here Hanuma is indirectly reprimanding Sugreeva for his lascivious way of living forgetting Rama's work. This can be said this way also in a general tone: "No misfortune can constrain him who strives enthusiastically and expeditiously for his friend's mission." But Hanuma's dutifulness is to be kept in view.
यो हि काल व्यतीतेषु मित्र कार्येषु वर्तते |
स कृत्वा महतो अपि अर्थान् न मित्रार्थेन युज्यते || ४-२९-१४
14. yaH kaala vyatiiteSu = he, on time's, elapsing - belatedly; mitra kaaryeSu vartate hi = in friend's, mission, functions, indeed; saH mahataH arthaan kR^itvaa api = he, great, deeds, done, even if; mitra arthena yujyate na = by friend's, purpose - mission, will not, associate.
"One who belatedly functions for the present mission of his friend, he will indeed be unassociated with that mission, despite of the fact that he has once performed great deeds in respect of the same friend. [4-29-14]
तत् इदम् मित्रकार्यम् नः काल अतीतम् अरिंदम |
क्रियताम् राघवस्य एतत् वैदेह्याः परिमार्गणम् || ४-२९-१५
15. arindama = oh, enemy-destroyer; tat = hence; naH = our; idam = this; mitra kaaryam = friend's, task; kaala atiitam = time, lapsed - is delayed; vaidehyaaH parimaargaNam = Vaidehi's, search of; raaghavasya = of Raghava; etat = this; kriyataam = let it be done.
"Hence, the task of our friend is delayed, oh, enemy-destroyer, searching for Vaidehi is Raghava's mission and let it be done. [4-29-15]
न च कालम् अतीतम् ते निवेदयति कालवित् |
त्वरमाणो अपि स प्राज्ञः तव राजन् वशानुगः || ४-२९-१६
16. raajan = oh, king; praaj~naH = insightful one; kaalavit = knower of time - punctual one; saH = he - Rama; tvaramaaNaH api = hurrying, even though; tava vasha anu gaH = in your, , control, in tow, goer - following you abidingly; atiitam kaalam = about lapsed, time; te na nivedayati = to you, not, indicating.
"Though the time is lagging, oh, king, that insightful and punctual Rama is not indicating about it to you, though he is hurrying to complete his mission within a time-frame, because he is following you alone abiding under the control abiding by your promise. [4-29-16]
कुलस्य हेतुः स्फीतस्य दीर्घ बन्धुः च राघवः |
अप्रमेय प्रभावः च स्वयम् च अप्रतिमो गुणैः || ४-२९-१७
17. raaghavaH = Raghava is; sphiitasya kulasya hetuH = of dynasty - a multitude of homogenous beings, for augmentation, cause; diirgha bandhuH ca = long-lasting, friend [covenentor,] also; svayam = personally; a prameya prabhaavaH ca = un, definable, in proficiency, also; guNaiH pratimaH ca = by his merits - grace, un, paralleled one.
"Raghava is the cause for augmentation of multitudes, a long-lasting covenentor, and even an undefinable one in his proficiency, and an unparalleled one by his grace. [4-29-17]
The 'augmenter of multitudes of homogeneous groups...' is not limited to Rama's Ikshvaku dynasty or to the monkey race, or to birds like Jatayu, or to squirrels or bears. Rama is the causer of the augmentation of any living being's group, if they tread the path of virtuousness, thus he is the sustainer of universe in peace. Any violator to that peaceful coexistence will be put to an end, may it be Viradha, Kabandha, Vali or Ravana.
तस्य त्वम् कुरु वै कार्यम् पूर्वम् तेन कृतम् तव |
हरीश्वर हरि श्रेष्ठान् आज्ञापयितुम् अर्हसि || ४-२९-१८
18. hari iishvara = oh, monkeys, lord; puurvam tena = previously, by him; tava kaaryam kR^itam = your, work, is done - accomplished your objective; tvam tasya [kaaryam] kuru vai = you, his, objective, accomplish, certainly; hari shreSThaan aaj~naapayitum arhasi = monkeys, best ones, to order - summon for searching Seetha, apt of you.
"Certainly you have to carry through his mission as he has carried out your mission previously, and oh, lord of monkeys, it will be apt of you to summon worthy monkeys for searching Seetha. [4-29-18]
न हि तावत् भवेत् कालो व्यतीतः चोदनात् ऋते |
चोदितस्य हि कार्यस्य भवेत् काल व्यतिक्रमः || ४-२९-१९
19. codanaat R^ite = by impelling, without - without Rama prodding us; kaalaH vyatiitaH = time, lapsed; na taavat bhavet hi = not, till then, will be, indeed - it may not be construed as such; coditasya kaaryasya = if impelled, for work - if he comes and prods us to action; then; kaala vyati kramaH bhavet hi = time, transgression of, will be, indeed.
"As long as Rama is not going to prod us for action deem that there is no time lapse, but the minute he does deem it as lapsed. [4-29-19]
अकर्तुर् अपि कार्यस्य भवान् कर्ता हरीश्वर |
किम् पुनः प्रतिकर्तुः ते राज्येन च वधेन च || ४-२९-२०
20. hariishvara = oh, king of monkeys; kaaryasya a kartuH api = deed, not, doer, even - even if no help is rendered to you; bhavaan kartaa = you are, doer [helpful one]; vadhena ca = by killing [Vali,] also; raajyena ca = by kingdom, even; te = to you; prati kartuH = in [your] respect, one who has done - one who helped you; kim punaH = why, again - tell about it - blurt out.
"You are a helpful one even to those that are unhelpful to you, oh, king of monkeys, then why repeat about him who helped you in getting your kingdom, and even in killing your enemy, Vali.
"Even if Rama did not help you in getting your kingdom and killing Vali you have to render your help to Rama, for you are a beacon of friendship and you are a helpful one without seeking any requital... then why you are delaying...[4-29-20]
A true friendship does not require barters. A timely help is the only virtue of true friendship, and thankless friends will neglect it: anena kR^ita upakaarasya guNaaDhyasya kaaryam kaala anatikrameNa sarva prakaareNa api saadhaniiyam | adharmiShTsya tu mitra kaaryam upekShaNiiyam iti suucitam | dk
शक्तिमान् अतिविक्रान्तो वानर ऋष्क गण ईश्वर |
कर्तुम् दाशरथेः प्रीतिम् आज्ञायाम् किम् नु सज्जसे || ४-२९-२१
21. vaanara R^iSka gaNa iishvara = monkey, bears, multitude's, lord of; shaktimaan ati vikraantaH = powerful one, highly, adventurous; such as you are, you; daasharatheH priitim kartum = of Dasharatha's son, desire, to fulfil; aaj~naayaam kim nu sajjase = to issue orders, why, really, delaying - temporising.
"Highly adventurous and powerful vanara as you are, oh, lord of multitudes of monkeys and bears, why do you really temporise in issuing orders to fulfil the cherish of Rama. [4-29-21]
कामम् खलु शरैः शक्तः सुर असुर महा उरगान् |
वशे दाशरथिः कर्तुम् त्वत् प्रतिज्ञाम् अवेक्षते || ४-२९-२२
22. daasharathiH = Rama of Dasharatha; sharaiH = with arrows; sura asura mahaa uragaan = gods, demons, great-vipers; vashe kartum = in control, to keep; kaamam shaktaH khalu = if need be, capable of, really; tvat pratij~naam avekshate = from you, [fulfilment of] promise, he is anticipating.
"If need be Rama of Dasharatha is really capable of keeping gods, demons and great-vipers under his control with his arrows, but he is anticipating fulfilment of your promise. [4-29-22]
प्राण त्याग अविशंकेन कृतम् तेन महत् प्रियम् |
तस्य मार्गाम वैदेहीम् पृथिव्याम् अपि च अंबरे || ४-२९-२३
23. praaNa tyaaga = life, forgoing; a vi shankena = not, much, doubting; tena mahat priyam kR^itam = by him, an exceptional, cherish [of yours,] is done; tasya vaidehiim = his, [wife] Vaidehi; pR^ithivyaam = on earth; ambare api ca = on sky, even, also; maargaama = we search.
"He fulfilled an exceptional cherish of yours without much doubting for the forfeiture of his own life, hence we search for his wife Vaidehi anywhere on earth or even on skies. [4-29-23]
न देवा न च गंधर्वा न असुरा न मरुत् गणाः |
न च यक्षा भयम् तस्य कुर्युः किम् इव राक्षसाः || ४-२९-२४
24. devaaH = gods; tasya = to him; bhayam na kuryuH = dismay, will not, cause; gandharvaa na = gandharva-s, no; asuraa na = asura-s, no; marut gaNaaH na = Wind-gods, multitudes of, no; yakSaa na ca = Yaksha-s, not, even; raakSasaaH kim iva = raakshasa-s, why, thus.
"Gods cannot cause dismay to him, then gandharva-s - no; multitudes of wind-gods - no; asura-s - no; yaksha-s - no; and then wherefore the raakshasa-s can? [4-29-24]
तत् एवम् शक्ति युक्तस्य पूर्वम् प्रिय कृतः तथा |
रामस्य अर्हसि पिंगेश कर्तुम् सर्व आत्मना प्रियम् || ४-२९-२५
25. pinga iisha = oh, monkeys, lord of; tat = therefore; evam shakti yuktasya = that kind of, energy, having - to energetic one; tathaa = likewise; puurvam priya kR^itaH = earlier, aspiration [of yours], one who fulfilled; raamasya = of such a - Rama; sarva aatmanaa priyam kartum arhasi = any, wise - at all events, desired thing, to do, apt of you.
"Therefore, oh, lord of monkeys, that Rama is energetic to exert himself, but he fulfilled your aspiration earlier, and it will be apt of you requite him with his aspiration at all events. [4-29-25]
न अधस्तात् अवनौ न अप्सु गतिः न उपरि च अम्बरे |
कस्यचित् सज्जते अस्माकम् कपीश्वर तव आज्ञया || ४-२९-२६
26. kapiishvara = oh, king of monkeys; tava aaj~nayaa = by your, order if your order; asmaakam = among us - vanara-s; kasyacit = whosoever; gatiH = impetus; adhastaat na sajjate = in netherworlds, not, hampered; avanau = on earth; apsu = in waters; na = will not - retard; upari ambare ca = up above, on sky, even; na = will not.
"In case you were ordering us, oh, king of monkeys, among us whosoever he may be his impetus will be unhampered either in netherworlds, or in water, or up above on the sky. [4-29-26]
तत् आज्ञापय कः किम् ते कुतो वा अपि व्यवस्यतु |
हरयो हि अप्रधृष्याः ते सन्ति कोटि अग्रतो अनघ || ४-२९-२७
27. anagha = oh, merited one; tat = therefore; aaj~naapaya = command us; kaH kutaH kim = who, wherefrom, what for - for which purpose; vaa api = or, even; vyavasyatu [vi ava syatu] = exerts himself; te = to you; koTi agrataH = crore - ten million, more than; a pra dhR^iSyaaH = not, really, challengeable - indomitable; harayaH = monkeys; santi = are there.
"Therefore command us, oh, merited one, as you have more than ten million unchallengeable monkeys under your command, as to who should start from where and for which purpose, and as to how one should exert himself." Thus Hanuma appealed to Sugreeva. [4-29-27]
तस्य तद् वचनम् श्रुत्वा काले साधु निरूपितम् |
सुग्रीवः सत्त्व संपन्नः चकार मतिम् उत्तमाम् || ४-२९-२८
28. tasya = his - Hanuma's; kaale saadhu niruupitam = in time, validly, demonstrated - argued; tat vacanam shrutvaathat = that, words, on hearing; sattva sampannaH = one whose soldiery, is substantial; such; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; uttamaam matim cakaara = noble, mind, made up - took a decision.
On hearing the words of Hanuma that are validly demonstrated on time, Sugreeva whose soldiery is substantial, took a noble decision. [4-29-28]
संदिदेश अति मति मान् नीलम् नित्य कृत उद्यमम् |
दिक्षु सर्वासु सर्वेषाम् सैन्यानाम् उपसंग्रहे || ४-२९-२९
29. ati matimaan = noble, minded one; Sugreeva; sarvaasu dikSu = [those available] in all, directions; sarveSaam sainyaanaam = all of the, monkey-forces; upasamgrahe = in foregathering; nitya kR^ita udyamam = one who always, makes, endeavour - strives to foregather military; niilam samdidesha = to Nila, directed.
And the noble minded Sugreeva directed Nila, one of the commanders of vanara army, and who always strives to foregather vanara army, to foregather all of the monkey-forces available in all the directions. [4-29-29]
यथा सेना समग्रा मे यूथपालाः च सर्वशः |
समागच्छन्ति असंगेन सेनाग्राणि तथा कुरु || ४-२९-३०
30. me samagraa senaa = my, in entirety, army; yuutha paalaaH ca = corps, commanders, even; sarvashaH = from all over; a sangena = without, delay; yathaa = as to how; sena agraaNi = army, in the van of - cutting edge; samaagacChanti [ sam aa gacChanti] = will marshal towards; tathaa kuru = that way, you make happen.
"You have to have organise that way as to how my army in its entirety and from all over, together with corps commanders, is to be marshalled to stay in the cutting edge of army. [4-29-30]
ये तु अंतपालाः प्लवगाः शीघ्रगा व्यवसायिनः |
समानयंतु ते शीघ्रम् त्वरिताः शासनात् मम |
स्वयम् च अनंतरम् सैन्यम् भवान् एव अनुपश्यतु || ४-२९-३१
31. anta paalaaH = senaa paryanta paalakaaH = army's, perimeter, managers defenders; shiighra gaa = quick, stepped ones; vyavasaayinaH = venturesome; ye plavagaaH = which fly-jumpers - are there; te = they; mama shaasanaat = by my, order; tvaritaaH = quickly; shiighram = speedily; sam aanayantu = be fetched; anantaram = later; sainyam = army; [kaaryam = works - later time works]; bhavaan eva = you, alone; svayam ca = personally, also; anu pashyatu = closely, see to it - you monitor - in making it as a unified whole, without heterogeneity.
"Those that are the quickstepped, venturesome fly-jumpers who are the defenders on the perimeter of army, they shall be fetched quickly an speedily at my order, and oh, Niila, you on your own have to personally and closely monitor the military establishment without any heterogeneity. [4-29-31]
त्रि पंच रात्रात् ऊर्ध्वम् यः प्राप्नुयात् इह वानरः |
तस्य प्राण अन्तिको दण्डो न अत्र कार्या विचारणा || ४-२९-३२
32. yaH vaanaraH = which, vanara; tri panca raatraat uurdhvam = three, five [3x5 = 15, fifteen,] nights, above - after; iha praapnuyaat = to here, reaches; tasya praaNa antikaH daNDaH = to him, life, termination, is the punishment; na atra kaaryaa vicaaraNaa = not, there, business, to adjudicate - further.
"And, the monkey who arrives here after fifteen nights, to him termination of life is the punishment, there is no business for further adjudication. [4-29-32]
हरीन् च वृद्धान् उपयातु स अंगदो
भवान् मम आज्ञाम् अधिकृत्य निश्चितम् |
इति व्यवस्थाम् हरि पुंगव ईश्वरो
विधाय वेश्म प्रविवेश वीर्यवान् || ४-२९-३३
33. sa angadaH = you - along with, Angada; bhavaan = you; mama aaj~naam adhikR^itya = by my, order, authorised; nishcitam = what has been decided - by me; vR^iddhaan hariin ca = to elderly, monkeys, also; upa yaatu = near, you go - approach; thus Sugreeva said and; viiryavaan = doughty one; hari pungava iishvaraH = monkeys, best ones, king of; iti vyavasthaam vidhaaya = thus, set-up, on assigning; veshma pravivesha = palace-chambers, entered.
"Associated with Angada you shall approach elderly monkeys like Jambavanta and others, according to my decision and authorised by my order." Thus, Sugreeva, the king of best monkeys on assigning the set-up, and ordering Niila, the Commander of Vanara Forces, that glorious Sugreeva re-entered his palace-chambers. [4-29-33]
Here it is said that Sugreeva re-entered his palace-chambers. This is due to the impulsive nature towards his sensual gratifications. He should have realised that he shall approach Rama to report the arrangements made, or at least he should have asked Hanuma to inform Rama about these orders to Niila. Without doing either of them, he re-entered the palace-chambers by which Hanuma has landed into a dilemma. Hanuma cannot go to Rama on his own for he is a minister of Sugreeva and inform about the orders of Sugreeva to Niila without the permission of the king, namely Sugreeva, nor as a minister, he can persuade Sugreeva to go to Rama to report the actions taken by monkey forces to search Seetha. In reality, monkey forces are being gathered, but that information is not passed on to Rama. This communication gap creates a furious emotion in Rama and he bids Lakshmana to go to Kishkindha and take Sugreeva to task, and even Lakshmana jumps on Sugreeva like a firebrand, in the coming chapters.
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे एकोन त्रिंश सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : August 04]
What the world says about
Page transferred by FREE Go FTP Client