Sugreeva informs Rama that Vali could not be appeased in spite of repeated requests as he is resolved to accept Sugreeva as an enemy. Vali banishes Sugreeva from the kingdom with the same thinking.
tataḥ krodha samāviṣṭam samrabdham tam upāgatam |
aham prasādayān cakre bhrātaram hita kāmyayā || 4-10-1
1. tataH aham = then, I; prasaadayaan cakre = begged of him; krodha samaaviSTam = by anger, enveloped; samrabdham = capricious one; upaagatam = who arrived; tam bhraataram = him, brother; hita kaamyayaa = well-being, desiring.
"Then desiring both of our well-being I have begged of my brother who is enveloped in anger and behaving capriciously. [4-10-1]
diṣṭyā asi kuśalī prāpto nihataḥ ca tvayā ripuḥ |
anāthasya hi me nāthaḥ tvam eko anātha nandanaḥ || 4-10-2
2. anaatha aanandanaH = oh, orphan's, delight Rama; diSTyaa tvayaa ripuH nihataH = luckily, by you, enemy, is eliminated; kushalii praaptaH asi = safely, returned, you are; anaathasya me tvam ekaH naathaH = to an orphaned one, to me, you, alone, are the protector.
"Oh, orphan's, delight Rama, I addressed him like this, "Luckily you have eliminated the enemy and returned safely, and to an orphaned one like me you alone are the protector. [4-10-2]
idam bahu śalākam te pūrṇa candram iva uditam |
chatram sa vāla vyajanam pratīcchasva mayā dhṛtam || 4-10-3
3. te = to you; mayaa dhR^itam = by me, held; bahu shalaakam = with many, spikes; uditam puurNa candram iva = arisen, full, moon, like; sa vaala vyajanam = with, [accompanying] fur, fans; idam Chatram pratiicChasva = this, [regal] umbrella, you accept.
Let this regal umbrella unfolded like a full moon, with its many of its spikes, and with accompanying fur-fans may please be accepted while I hold it for you. [4-10-3]
ārtasya atha bilā dvāri sthitaḥ saṃvatsaram nṛpa |
dṛṣṭvā ca śoṇitam dvāri bilāt ca api samutthitam || 4-10-4
śoka saṃvigna hṛdayo bhṛśam vyākulita indriyaḥ |
apidhāya bila dvāram śaila śṛṅgeṇa tat tadā || 4-10-5
tasmāt deśāt apākramya kiṣkindhām prāviśam punaḥ |
4, 5, 6a. nR^ipa = oh, king; aartaH = saddened [I was]; samvatsaram = for one year; bila dvaarii sthitaH = at that, cave's entrance, I stayed; atha bilaat samutthitam shoNitam dvaari dR^iSTvaa = then, from cave, started to flow, blood, at entrance, having seen; shoka samvigna hR^idayaH = sadness, engulfed, with a heart; bhR^isham vyaakulita indriyaH = much, perturbed, senses; tadaa tat bila dvaaram = then, that, cave's, entrance; shaila shringeNa apidhaaya = with a hill, top, having covered; tasmaat deshaat apaakramya = from that, place, moving away; punaH kiSkindhaam praavisham = again, Kishkindha, I entered.
"Saddened I was after staying at the entrance of the cave for one year, oh, king, and on seeing the blood that started to flow from out the cave in the entrance my heart is engulfed in sadness and my senses perturbed very much, and then covering that cave's entrance with a hilltop, and departing from that country, I re-entered Kishkindha. [4-10-4, 5, 6a]
viṣādāt iha mām dṛṣṭvā pauraiḥ maṃtribhir eva ca || 4-10-6
abhiṣikto na kāmena tanme kṣantum tvam arhasi |
6b, 7a. viSaadaat iha maam dR^iSTvaa = with grief, [on my coming] here, me, on seeing; pouraiH mantribhiH eva ca = citizens, ministers, alike, also; abhishikhtaH = crowned me; na kaamena = not, [at my] desire; tat me kshantum tvam arhasi = therefore, me, to pardon, apt of you.
"On seeing me returning with grief, the citizens and ministers alike crowned me, but that is not at my desire, therefore it is apt of you pardon me. [4-10-6b, 7a]
tvam eva rājā mānārhaḥ sadā ca aham yathā purā || 4-10-7
rājabhāve niyogaḥ ayam mama tvat virahāt kṛtaḥ |
sa amātya paura nagaram sthitam nihata kaṇṭakam || 4-10-8
7b, 8. maanaarhaH raajaa tvam eva = estimable, king, you, alone; aham ca puraa yathaa = I will be, as earlier, as I was; mama ayam raja bhaave niyogaH tvat virahaat kR^itaH = my, this, in kingship, establishment, with your, unavailability, it is done; sa amaatya paura nagaram = with, ministers, citizens, capital; nihata kantakam = eliminated, thorniness; sthitam = is there.
"As an estimable one you alone are the king, and I will be as I was, and establishing me in kingship is owing to your unavailability, but the capital with citizens and ministers is kept up without thorniness. [4-10-7b, 8]
nyāsa bhūtam idam rājyam tava niryātayāmi aham |
mā ca roṣam kṛthāḥ saumya mama śatru niṣūdana|| 4-10-9
9. nyaasa bhuutam = custodial, one[kingdom]; idam raajyam = this, kingdom; tava = to you; niryaatayaami = returning; aham = I am; shatru niSuudana = oh enemies, eliminator; saumya = oh, gentle one; mama = in my respect; roSam = anger / hostility; maa kR^ithaaH = do not, you make.
"Oh, gentle one, I am now returning this custodial kingdom to you, oh, enemy eliminator, you need not be hostile towards me. [4-10-9]
yāce tvām śirasā rājan mayā baddho ayam aṃjaliḥ |
balāt asmin samāgamya maṃtribhiḥ pura vāsibhiḥ || 4-10-10
rājabhāve niyukto aham śūnya deśa jigīṣayā |
10, 11a. raajan = oh king; shirasaa tvaam yaace = with head bowed, you, I beg; mayaa ayam anjaliH baddhaH = by me, this, [prayerful] palm-fold, is made; mantribhiH pura vaasibhiH = by the ministers, capital, dwellers; samaagamya = coming together; shuunya desha jigiishayaa = empty [kingless,] kingdom, to have control on; aham = I was; asmin = to this [kingship]; rajabhaave = in kingship; balaat = forcibly; niyuktaH = nominated.
"I beg you with my bowed head and with my prayerful palm-fold, the ministers and the city dwellers have collectively and forcibly nominated me to the kingship, only to keep the kingless kingdom under control. [4-10-10, 11a]
snigdham evam bruvāṇam mām sa vinirbhartsya vānaraḥ || 4-10-11
dhik tvām iti ca mām uktvā bahu tat tat uvāca ha |
11b, 12a. saH vaanaraH = he, that monkey; evam snigdham bruvaaNam = this way, politely, while I was saying; maam nirbhartsya = me, on threatening; dhik = fie; tvaam = upon you; iti ca = thus, also; maam uktvaa = to me said; tat tat = that, that, [expletives]; bahu = many; uvaaca ha = he said, indeed.
"While I was speaking that politely he threatened me and indeed used many expletives starting from 'fie, fie, upon you.' and the like. [4-10-11b, 12a]
prakṛtīḥ ca samānīya maṃtriṇaḥ caiva sammatān || 4-10-12
mām āha suhṛdām madhye vākyam parama garhitam |
12b, 13a. prakR^itiiH ca = people, also; sammataan = venerable ones; mantriNaH caiva = ministers, also, thus; samaaniiya = on summoning; suhR^idaam madhye = friends, amongst; maam = to me; parama garhitam vaakyam = very, abusive, words; aaha = he said / hurled.
"And summoning people and venerable ministers he hurled very abusive words at me among friends. [4-10-12b, 13a]
viditam vo mayā rātrau māyāvī sa mahāasuraḥ || 4-10-13
mām samāhvayata kruddho yuddha kāṃkṣī tadā purā |
13b, 14a. puraa mahaaasuraH maayaavii = earlier, the gigantic, Maayaavi; kruddhaH = rancorous; yuddha kaankshii = duel, desiring one; tadaa raatrau = in that, night; maam = me; samaahvayata = invited; vaH = that; viditam = you are aware of.
"You all are aware that earlier the gigantic and rancorous demon Maayaavi invited me desiring a duel in that night. [4-10-13b, 14a]
tasya tad bhāṣitam śrutvā niḥsṛtaḥ aham nṛpāalayāt || 4-10-14
anuyātaḥ ca mām tūrṇam ayam bhrātā sudāruṇaḥ |
14b, 15a. tasya tat = his, that; bhaaSitam = saying [calling for duel]; shrutvaa = on hearing; niHsR^itaH = went out; aham = I am; nR^ipa aalayaat = from royal, palace su daaruNaH = very, hazardous one; ayam bhraataa = this, brother; anuyaataH ca = followed, also; tuurNam = quickly; maam = me.
"On hearing his call for a duel I went out of the royal palace, and this very hazardous brother of mine quickly followed me. [4-10-14b, 15a]
sa tu dṛṣṭvā eva mām rātrau sa dvitīyam mahābalaḥ || 4-10-15
prādravat bhaya saṃtrasto vīkṣya āvām samupāgatau |
abhidrutaḥ tu vegena viveśa sa mahābilam || 4-10-16
15b, 16. mahaabalaH = formidable one; saH = that demon; raatrau sa dvitiiyam maam dR^iSTvaa eva = in night, with, a second one, me, on seeing, just by; pra adravat = he ran away; samupaagatau aavaam viikshya = those that reached nearly, at us, on seeing; bhaya samtrastaH = fear, fraught by; vegena abhidrutaH = speedily, he ran; saH = he; mahaabilam = great, cavity; vivesha = entered.
"And that formidable demon Maayaavi ran away as he was fraught with fear on seeing me with a second one at my side, and he speedily entered a great cavity of earth on seeing us two nearly reaching him. [4-10-15b, 16]
tam praviṣṭam viditvā tu sughoram sumahad bilam |
ayam ukto atha me bhrātā mayā tu krūra darśanaḥ || 4-10-17
17. tam = him; praviSTam = entered into; viditvaa tu = on knowing; su ghoram = great, precarious; sumahat bilam = great cavity; atha = then; kruura darshanaH = cruel to look; ayam me bhraataa = this, brother, of mine; mayaa uktaH by me, said.
"On knowing the demon's entry into that great precarious cavity, I said to this one, this cruel looking brother of mine. [4-10-17]
ahatvā na asti me śaktiḥ prati gantum itaḥ purīm |
bila dvāri pratīkṣa tvam yāvat enam nihanmi aham || 4-10-18
18. a hatvaa = without, killing; itaH = from here; puriim = to capital; prati gantum = return to go; me = to me; shaktiH = power; na asti = not, there; aham = I am; enam = him, the demon; yaavat = till; nihanmi = I kill; tvam = you; bila dvaari = at cavity's, entrance; pratiiksha = wait.
"My power will not let me return from here to the capital without killing that demon, hence you wait at this cavity's entrance, till I kill that demon and come out of the cavity. [4-10-18]
sthito.ayam iti matvā aham praviṣṭaḥ tu durāsadam |
tam me mārgayataḥ tatra gataḥ saṃvatsaraḥ tadā || 4-10-19
19. sthitaH = stayed; ayam iti = he thus; matvaa aham = believing, I have; pravishtaH tu = entered, thus; duraasadam = impenetrable cave; tadaa = then; tatra = there; tam = him, that demon; maargamaanasya = while searching; me = for me; gataH = elapsed; samvatsaraH = one year.
"Believing that he stayed at the entrance of the cavity I entered that impenetrable cavity, and then in searching for that demon there one year elapsed. [4-10-19]
sa tu dṛṣṭo mayā śatruḥ anirvedāt bhayāavahaḥ |
nihataḥ ca mayā sadyaḥ saḥ sarvaiḥ saha bandhubhiḥ || 4-10-20
20. bhayaaavahaH = terrified one; saH shatruH = he that, enemy; mayaa = by me; a nirvedaat = without, worry - effortlessly; dR^iSTaH = is seen; saH sarvaiH bandhubhiH saha = he, all of his, relatives, along with; mayaa = by me; sadyaH nihataH = immediately, killed.
"I have seen that terrified enemy of mine effortlessly, and I killed him immediately along with all of his relatives. [4-10-20]
tasya āsyāt tu pravṛttena rudhiraugheṇa tad bilam |
pūrṇam āsīt durākrāmam svanataḥ tasya bhūtale || 4-10-21
21. bhuutale = on ground; svanataH = [fallen] yelling; tasya aasyaat tu = from his, mouth, but; pravR^ittena, rudhira aughena = emanating, by blood, gushes of; tat bilam puurNam = that, cavity, is filled up; dur aakraamam aasiit = impossible, to tread, it has become.
"That cavity has become impassable, since it is fully filled with the gushes of blood emanating from the mouth of that demon who fell yelling onto ground. [4-10-21]
sūdayitvā tu tam śatrum vikrāntam tam aham sukham |
niṣkrāmam na eva paśyāmi bilasya pihitam mukham || 4-10-22
22. aham = I; tam shatrum vikraantam = that, enemy, who was invading; sukham = easily; suudayitvaa = having killed; nishkraamam = exit; na eva = not, thus; pashyaami = saw; bilasya pihitam mukham = cavity's, closed, face.
"On my killing that invading enemy easily, I could not see any exit from that cavity as its mouth was closed. [4-10-22]
vikrośamānasya tu me sugrīva iti punaḥ punaḥ |
yataḥ prativaco nāsti tataḥ aham bhṛśa duḥkhitaḥ || 4-10-23
23. sugriiva iti = oh Sugreeva, thus; punaH punaH = again and again; vi kroshamaanasya = while I loudly shouted; me = to me; yataH = what for; prativacaH = reply; na asti = not, there; tataH = by that; aham = I am; bhr^isha duhkhitaH = very, saddened.
"Wherefore I did not get a reply though I repeatedly shouted, 'Sugreeva, oh, Sugreeva.' thereby I was very saddened. [4-10-23]
pāda prahāraiḥ tu mayā bahubhiḥ paripātitam |
tataḥ aham tena niṣkramya pathā puram upāgataḥ || 4-10-24
24. mayaa = by me; bahubhiH = with many; paada prahaaraiH = with foot, poundings; paripaatitam = [lidded hilltop] is smashed; tataH = then; aham = I have; tena pathaa = by that, way; nishkramya = exited; punaH upaagataH = again, arrived here.
"With my foot I pounded and smashed that lidded hilltop, and from there I exited that way and arrived here. [4-10-24]
tatra anena asmi samruddhaḥ rājyam mṛgayata ātmanaḥ |
sugrīveṇa nṛśaṃsena vismṛtya bhrātṛ sauhṛdam || 4-10-25
25. aatmanaH = for himself; raajyam = kingdom; mR^igayata = fantasizing; nR^ishamsena anena = by cruel one, by this one; vismR^itya bhraatR^i sauhR^idam = forgetting, brotherly, good heartedness - clannishness; [aham = I was]; tatra = there; samruddhaH = trammelled; sugriiveNa = by Sugreeva; asmi = I was.
"As such this cruel fantasist of kingdom trammelled me in there forgetting the clannishness." So said Vali to all the courtiers. [4-10-25]
evam uktvā tu mām tatra vastreṇa ekena vānaraḥ |
tadā nirvāsayāmāsa vālī vigata sādhvasaḥ || 4-10-26
26. vaanaraH = that monkey; vaalii = Vali; tatra = in there, in court; maam = to me; evam uktvaa = thus, saying; vigata saadhvasaH = gone [leaving off,] ruth; tadaa = then; vastreNa ekena = clothing, one only; nirvaasayaamaasa = started to render me homeless - banished me.
"On saying thus that monkey ruthlessly banished me, then and there in the court itself, who am with a single clothing on my body. [4-10-26]
tena aham apaviddhaḥ ca hṛta dāraḥ ca rāghava |
tat bhayāt ca mahīm sarvān krāntavān sa vana arṇavām || 4-10-27
27. Raaghava; tena aham = by him, I am; apaviddhaH ca = thrown away, also; hR^ita daaraH ca = stolen, wife, also; tat bhayaat ca = by his, fear, alone; sa vana arNavaa = withal, forests, oceans sarvaan = all over the; mahiim = earth; kraantaavaan = I have roamed.
"Thus he threw me away and even stole my wife, oh, Rama, and owing to his fear alone I roamed all over the earth with its forests and oceans. [4-10-27]
ṛśyamūkam giri varam bhāryā haraṇa duḥkhitaḥ |
praviṣṭo asmi durādharṣam vālinaḥ kāraṇāntare || 4-10-28
28. bhaaryaa haraNa duHkhitaH = wife, by stealing, I who am saddened; kaaraNa antare = by another reason; vaalinaH duraadharSham = by Vali, impenetrable one; giri varam = mountain, safest; Rishyamuukam = Mt. Rishyamuka; praviSTaH asmi = entered, I have;
"I who am saddened by stealing my wife have entered this safest mountain Rishyamuka, which is impenetrable for Vali by another reason. [4-10-28]
etat te sarvam ākhyātam vaira anukathanam mahat |
anāgasā mayā prāptam vyasanam paśya rāghava || 4-10-29
29. Raaghava; etat mahat vaira anukathanam = all this, notable, enmity, account of; sarvam te aakhyaatam = all to you, is reported; pashya = you may see - examine; anaagasaa = without fault; mayaa praaptam = by me, attained; vyasanam = dire straits.
"All this notable account of enmity is reported to you, oh, Raghava, and you may examine the dire straits befallen on me at no fault of mine. [4-10-29]
vālinaḥ ca bhayāt tasya sarvaloka bhayāpaha |
kartum arhasi me vīra prasādam tasya nigrahāt || 4-10-30
30. sarva loka bhayaa apahaa = to all, worlds, fear, remover - oh, Rama; vaalinaH ca = of Vali, only; tasya bhayaat = from that, fear; me = to me; prasaadam = invulnerability; viira = oh, valiant one; tasya nigrahaat = him, rein [him] in; kartum arhasi = to bestow, apt of you.
"Oh, Rama, the fear-remover of all the worlds, it is apt of you to bestow me invulnerability from the fear of Vali, and oh, valiant one, as well as to rein him in." Sugreeva requested Rama thus. [4-10-30]
evam uktaḥ sa tejasvī dharmajño dharma saṃhitam |
vacanam vaktum ārebhe sugrīvam prahasan iva || 4-10-31
31. evam uktaH = thus, one who is said - Rama; tejasvii = resplendent one; dharmaj~naH = virtuous one; saH = he, that Rama; prahasan iva = laughing off, as though; dharma samhitam vacanam = in virtue, abiding, sentence; sugriivam = to Sugreeva; vaktum = to speak; aarebhe = started.
When he is requested thus by Sugreeva, that virtuous and resplendent Rama started to tell Sugreeva, the words that abide by virtue, as though trivializing the task on hand. [4-10-31]
amoghāḥ sūrya saṃkāśā niśitā me śarā ime |
tasmin vālini durvṛtte patiṣyanti ruṣa anvitāḥ || 4-10-32
32. amoghaaH = admirable; suurya samkaashaa = sun-like; rusha anvitaaH = [my] wrath, mingled with; nishitaaH = sharp; mama = my; ete = these; sharaaH = arrows; durvR^itte = evil minded one; tasmin vaalini = on that, Vali; patiSyanti = will fall.
"Admirable and sun-like burners are these arrows of mine that are now mingled with my wrath, and they are bound fall on that evil minded Vali. [4-10-32]
yāvat tam na hi paśyeyam tava bhārya apahāriṇam |
tāvat sa jīvet pāpātmā vālī cāritra dūṣakaḥ || 4-10-33
33. tava = your; bhaarya apahaarinam = wife, stealer; tam = him; yaavat = till which time; na pashyeyam = not, I see; taavat = only till then; paapaatmaa caaritra duushakaH = evil minded, history, abuser; saH vaalii jiivet = he, that, Vali, will live.
"He that stealer of your wife, that evil-minded abuser of history lives as long as I descry. [4-10-33]
ātma anumānāt paśyāmi magnaḥ tvām śoka sāgare |
tvām aham tārayiṣyāmi bāḍham prāpsyasi puṣkalam || 4-10-34
34. tvaam shoka saagare magnam = you; in sadness, sea of, deluged; aatma anumaanaat = by self, inference -by my own experience; pashyaami = I see; tvaam aham taarayishyaami = you, I will, make you to get across; baaDham = definitely; praapsyasi = you will regain; pushkalam = abundantly.
"By my experience I see how you are deluged in a sea of sadness, but I will make you to get over that sea, and you will definitely regain abundantly whatever you lost." Rama assured Sugreeva thus. [4-10-34]
tasya tat vacanam śrutvā harṣa pauruṣa vardhanam |
sugrīvaḥ parama prītaḥ su mahat vākyam abravīt || 4-10-35
35. tasya harSa pauruSa vardhanam = happiness, self-esteem, enhancing; tat vacanam shrutvaa = his, that, sentence, having heard; Sugreeva; parama priitaH = verily, gladdened; su mahat vaakyam abraviit = very, great, sentence, [further] said.
Hearing that sentence of Rama, which is enhancing happiness and self-esteem, Sugreeva is very gladdened and further said this great sentence. [4-10-35]
- - -
iti vālmīki rāmāyaṇe ādi kāvye kiṣkindha kāṇḍe daśamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
©2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao, [Revised : March, '04