Vishvamitra ruins Vashishta's hermitage on acquiring missiles at the grace of God Shiva by practising a paramount ascesis. When the forces generated by Wish-Milker Sacred Cow, namely Kaamadhenu, have eliminated Vishvamitra's army and his hundred sons, he felt indignant and pray Shiva for bestowal of unusual missiles. On getting them, he again comes to Sage Vashishta's hermitage and ruins it completely. Then extremely infuriated Sage Vashishta resorts to his Brahma-baton to confront Vishvamitra.
ततः तान् आकुलान् दृष्ट्वा विश्वामित्र अस्त्र मोहितान् |
वसिष्ठः चोदयामास काम धुक् सृज योगतः || १-५५-१
1. tataH = then; vasiSThaH = Vashishta; vishvaamitra astra mohitaan = Vashishta, by missiles, those who are perplexed; aakulaan = those flurrying; taan dR^iSTvaa = them - army, on seeing; kaama dhuk = oh, wish, milker [Shabala]; yogataH sR^ija = by yogic [capacity,] you generate [more army]; codayaamaasa = started to motivate - in this way.
"Then on seeing the flurrying warriors earlier created by the Sacred Cow, Shabala, who are perplexed by the missiles of Vishvamitra, Vashishta started to motivate her, 'oh, wish-milker, generate more forces by your yogic capacity.' Thus Sage Shataananda continued his narration about the legend of Vishvamitra to Rama. [1-55-1]
तस्या हुंकारतो जाताः कांबोजा रवि सन्निभाः |
ऊधसः तु अथ संजाताः पह्लवाः शस्त्र पाणयः || १-५५-२
योनि देशात् च यवनः शकृ देशात् शकाः तथा |
रोम कूपेषु म्लेच्छाः च हारीताः स किरातकाः || १-५५-३
2, 3. tasyaaH hum kaarataH = of her, from 'hum' mooing; ravi sannibhaaH kaambojaa jaataaH = Sun, similar in shine, Kaamboja-s, are born; atha = further; uudhasaH = from udder; shastra paaNayaH = weapons, in hands; pahlavaaH sanjaataaH = Pahlava-s, are born; yoni deshaat yavanaH ca = from privates, area, Yavana-s, also - are born; tathaa = likewise; shakR^i deshaat shakaaH = from rectal, area, Shaka-s - are born; roma kuupeSu mlecChaaH ca = from hair, roots, Mleccha-s, also - are born; sa kiraatakaaH = with, Kirataka-s; haariitaaH = Haariitaa-s - are also born.
"From the 'hums' of her mooing Kaamboja-s similar to sunshine are born, from her udder Pahlava-s wielding weaponry are born, from the area of her privates Yavana-s, likewise from her rectal area Shaka-s, and from her hair-roots Mleccha-s, Haariitaa-s along with Kirataka-s are issued forth. [1-55-2, 3]
तैः तत् निषूदितम् सैन्यम् विश्वमित्रस्य तत् क्षणात् |
स पदाति गजम् स अश्वम् स रथम् रघुनंदन || १-५५-४
4. raghunandana = oh, Raghu's legatee, Rama; taiH = by them [Yavana-s etc.]; tat kSaNaat = that, very moment; vishvamitrasya = of Vishvamitra; sa padaati gajam = with, foot-soldiers, elephants; sa ashvam sa ratham = with horses, with chariots; tat sainyam = that, army; ni Suuditam = utterly, slaughtered.
"At that very moment, oh, Rama the legatee of Raghu, Vishvamitra's army comprising foot-soldiers, elephants, chariots and horses is utterly slaughtered by the Yavana, Mleccha etc., forces generated by the Sacred Cow. [1-55-4]
दृष्ट्वा निषूदितम् सैन्यम् वसिष्ठेन महात्मना |
विश्वामित्र सुतानाम् तु शतम् नाना विध आयुधम् || १-५५-५
अभ्यधावत् सुसंक्रुद्धम् वसिष्ठम् जपताम् वरम् |
हुम् कारेण एव तान् सर्वान् निर्ददाह महान् ऋषिः || १-५५-६
5. mahaa aatmanaa vasiSThena = by great souled one, by Vashishta; niSuuditam sainyam dR^iSTvaa = utterly slaughtered, army, on seeing; vishvaamitra sutaanaam = Vishvamitra's, sons; shatam = [a band of] hundred; naanaa vidha aayudham = diverse, sorts of, weapons wielding; su sam kruddham = very, highly, angering; japataam varam vasiSTham = among meditators, supreme one, towards Vashishta; abhyadhaavat = [that band of hundred sons] sprinted forth; mahaan R^iSiH = [that] great, sage; taan sarvaan = them, all; kaareNa eva = by 'hum' [blasting,] only; nir dadaaha = completely, burnt down.
"On seeing their army utterly slaughtered by the vital spirit of Vashishta, a band of hundred sons of Vishvamitra wielding divers weapons exasperatedly sprinted forth towards that supreme meditator among all meditators. But that great sage Vashishta completely burnt all of them down just by blasting 'hum' sounds. [1-55-5, 6]
ते स अश्व रथ पादाता वसिष्ठेन महात्मना |
भस्मी कृता मुहूर्तेन विश्वामित्र सुताः तदा || १-५५-७
7. tadaa = then; sa ashva ratha paadaataaH = with, horses, chariots, foot-soldiers; te vishvaamitra sutaaH = those, Vishvamitra's, sons; mahaatmanaa vasiSThena = by the one who has vital spirit, by Vashishta; muhuurtena = in a wink; bhasmii kR^itaa = to ashes, rendered.
"That sage with vital spirit, Vashishta, then in a wink rendered those sons of Vishvamitra, along with their horses, chariots, and foot-soldiers to ashes. [1-55-7]
दृष्ट्वा विनाशितान् पुत्रान् बलम् च सुमहा यशाः |
स व्रीडः चिंतया आविष्टो विश्वामित्रो अभवत् तदा || १-५५-८
8. tadaa = then; su mahaa yashaaH = very, highly, glorious one; vishvaamitraH = Vishvamitra; vinaashitaan putraan = at utterly ruined, sons; balam ca = at forces, also; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; sa vriiDaH = with, disgrace; cintayaa aaviSTaH = with distress, beset by; abhavat = he became.
"On seeing his sons and his forces are utterly ruined, that very highly glorious Vishvamitra was disgraced and beset by distress. [1-55-8]
समुद्र इव निर्वेगो भग्न दंष्ट्र इव उरगः |
उपरक्त इव आदित्यः सद्यो निष्प्रभताम् गतः || १-५५-९
हत पुत्र बलो दीनो लून पक्ष इव द्विजः |
9, 10a. nir vegaH = without, speed [tideless]; samudra iva = ocean, as with; bhagna danSTra uragaH iva = broken, fang, serpent, as with; upa rakta aadityaH iva = less, coloured [shineless, while being eclipsed,] sun, as with; sadyaH = immediately; hata putra balaH = one with - ruined, sons, forces; diinaH luuna pakSa dvijaH iva = pitiable, clipped, wing [wingless,] bird, as with; niS prabhataam gataH = less of, lustre, gone in - plunged into a state.
"Like a tideless ocean his warfare did not tide him over, like a fangless serpent his hiss of warring could not fang any, like a wingless bird pitiable is his flightless plight of fightback, like a shineless sun in an eclipse, Vishvamitra plunged into a lustreless state of his own illustriousness, when his forces are ruined along with his sons. [1-55-9, 10a]
हत सर्व बल उत्साहो निर्वेदम् समपद्यत || १-५५-१०
स पुत्रम् एकम् राज्याय पालय इति नियुज्य च |
पृथिवीम् क्षत्र धर्मेण वनम् एव अन्वपद्यत || १-५५-११
10b, 11 hata sarva bala utsaahaH = ruined, all, intrepidity, impetuosity; nir vedam samapadyata = down, heartedness [indolence,] he obtained; saH = he; pR^ithiviim = earth; kSatra dharmeNa paalaya = by kingcraft's, duties, you rule; iti = saying so; ekam putram raajyaaya niyujya = one, son, for kingdom, on bidding; vanam eva anvapadyata = to forests, thus, took recourse.
"When all his intrepidity and impetuosity are ruined an indolence bechanced upon him, and then on bidding one son for the kingdom, 'you rule the earth with the duties of kingcraft...' thus saying Vishvamitra took recourse to forests. [1-55-10b, 11]
स गत्वा हिमवत् पार्श्वम् किंनर उरग सेवितम् |
महादेव प्रसाद अर्थम् तपः तेपे महातपाः || १-५५-१२
12. mahaatapaaH = great, practiser of ascesis; saH = he [Vishvamitra]; kinnara uraga sevitam = by kinnaraa-s, uragaa-s, adored by; himavat paarshvam = Himalayas, side of; gatvaa = on going; mahaadeva prasaada artham = Great God's [Shiva's,] beneficence, for the sake of; tapaH tepe = [austere] ascesis, undertook,.
"On going to the mountainsides of Himalayas, whereat it is adored by kinnaraa-s and uragaa-s, the nymphs and nymphean serpents, he that great practiser of ascesis, Vishvamitra, undertook an austere ascesis for the sake of beneficence of the Great God, Shiva. [1-55-12]
केनचित् तु अथ कालेन देवेशो वृषभ ध्वजः |
दर्शयामास वरदो विश्वामित्रम् महामुनिम् || १-५५-१३
13. atha = then; kenacit kaalena tu = at long lost, after time, but; deva iishaH = gods', god; vR^iSabha dhvajaH = Bull, on his flag; vara daH = boon, giver; vishvaamitram mahaamunim = to Vishvamitra, great-sainted darshayaamaasa = shown Himself -revealed himself.
"After a long lost time, Shiva, the God of Gods whose flag bears the sign of Holy Bull, has shown himself to that great-saint Vishvamitra, for He is a ready boon-giver. [1-55-13]
किम् अर्थम् तप्यसे राजन् ब्रूहि यत् ते विवक्षितम् |
वरदो अस्मि वरो यः ते कांक्षितः सो अभिधीयताम् || १-५५-१४
14. raajan = oh, king; kim artham tapyase = for which, purpose, you undertook ascesis; te = by you; yat = what is; vi vakshitam = tellable - what is intended by you; that; bruuhi = you tell; vara daH asmi = boon, giver, I am; yaH varaH te kaankshitaH = what, boon, by you, beseeched; saH abhi dhiiyataam = that, may be made known.
" 'Oh, king, for which purpose you undertook this ascesis that you may tell me. What is it really intended by you and what boon you seek that be made known to me for I am the boon-giver.' Shiva said so to Vishvamitra. [1-55-14]
एवम् उक्तः तु देवेन विश्वामित्रो महातपाः |
प्रणिपत्य महादेवम् विश्वामित्रो अब्रवीत् इदम् || १-५५-१५
15. devena evam uktaH = by god, thus, said; mahaa tapaaH vishvaamitra = one with great ascesis, Vishvamitra; mahaadevam praNipatya = Great God Shiva, on reverencing; vishvaamitraH idam abraviit = Vishvamitra, this, said.
"Thus said by God Shiva to Vishvamitra of great ascesis, Vishvamitra on reverencing that Great God Shiva said this way. [1-55-15]
यदि तुष्टो महादेव धनुर् वेदो मम अनघ |
सा अंग उप अंग उपनिषदः स रहस्यः प्रदीयताम् || १-५५-१६
16. anagha = oh, impeccable one; mahaadeva = oh, Great God Shiva; tuSTaH yadi = you are gladdened, if [providing that]; sa anga upa anga upaniSadaH = with, complemental, supplemental Writs, summational, Writs [Upanishad-s]; sa rahasyaH = together with, preternatural [doctrines]; dhanuH vedaH = Archery, Holy Writs of; mama = to me; pra diiyataam = verily [kindly,] be bestowed.
" 'Oh! Mahadeva, the Impeccable Great God... providing that you are gladdened by my ascetic devotion, dhanur veda, the Holy Writ of Archery, with its complemental and supplemental Writs, and along with its summational Upanishad-s, together with its preternatural doctrines... they may kindly be bestowed upon me... [1-55-16]
यानि देवेषु च अस्त्राणि दानवेषु महर्षिषु |
गंधर्व यक्ष रक्षस्सु प्रतिभांतु मम अनघ || १-५५-१७
तव प्रसादात् भवतु देवदेव मम ईप्सितम् |
17, 18a. anagha = oh, exquisite god; deveSu = in [with] gods; daanaveSu maharSiSu = with fiends, with great-sages; gandharva yaksha rakshassu = with gandharva-s, yaksha-s, demons; yaani astraaNi = whichever, missiles; are there, they; tava prasaadaat = by your, blessings; mama = to me; prati bhaantu = dawn upon [me]; deva deva = oh, God of Gods; mama iipsitam bhavatu = my, aspiration, become - let it be fulfilled.
" Oh, Exquisite God, whichever missile is there either with gods, or fiends, gandharva-s, yaksha-s, and demons, let it dawn upon me. For you alone are the God of Gods your blessings alone can fulfil my aspiration.' Thus Vishvamitra entreated God Shiva. [1-55-17, 18a]
एवम् अस्तु इति देवेशो वाक्यम् उक्त्वा गतः तदा || १-५५-१८
18b. evam astu = so, be it; iti = thus; deveshaH = God of Gods, Shiva; vaakyam uktvaa = sentence, said [on sanctifying Vishvamitra]; tadaa gataH = then, went away -disappeared.
" 'So be it!' On sanctifying Vishvamitra and his aspiration thus, the God of Gods, Shiva disappeared. [1-55-18b]
प्राप्य च अस्त्राणि देवेशात् विश्वामित्रो महाबलः |
दर्पेण महता युक्तो दर्पपूर्णो अभवत् तदा || १-५५-१९
19. mahaabalaH = [who is already a] great-mighty one; mahataa darpeNa yuktaH = [now] greatest, conceit, conjoined with; such a; vishvaamitraH = Vishvamitra; tadaa = then; deva iishaat = from God of Gods, Shiva; astraaNi praapya = missiles, on acquiring; darpa puurNaH abhavat = conceitedness, plethoric with, he became.
"Vishvamitra who is already a mightier Kshatriya, now on acquiring missiles from the God of Gods, Shiva, will he not come forth paired up with mightiest conceit, and then will not his conceitedness be plethoric like a plethoric ocean? [1-55-19]
विवर्धमानो वीर्येण समुद्र इव पर्वणि |
हतम् मेने तदा राम वसिष्ठम् ऋषि सत्तमम् || १-५५-२०
20. parvaNi = on an auspicious day [in Full Moon day]; samudra iva = ocean, as with; viiryeNa vivardhamaanaH = by vitality, on the rise; raama = oh, Rama; R^iSi sattamam vasiSTham = sage, sagaciously mighty one, Vashishta; tadaa = now; hatam mene = dead, deemed as.
"By vitality Vishvamitra is like an ocean with rough riptide on a Full Moon day, and oh, Rama, he deemed that sagaciously mighty sage Vashishta is now 'dead.' [1-55-20]
ततो गत्वा आश्रमपदम् मुमोच अस्त्राणि पार्थिवः |
यैः तत् तपो वनम् सर्वम् निर्दग्धम् च अस्त्र तेजसा || १-५५-२१
21. tataH = then; paarthivaH = king - Vishvamitra; aashramapadam gatvaa = to hermitage's threshold [of Vashishta,] on going; astraaNi mumoca = missiles, released [propelled]; yaiH = by which [missiles]; tat sarvam tapaH vanam = that, in entirety, ascetic, woodland; astra tejasaa = by missiles', fire [holocaust]; nir dagdham = completely, burnt down.
Then on going to the threshold of Vashishta 's hermitage that king propelled his missiles, by the holocaust of which missiles that ascetic woodland is completely burnt down in its entirety. [1-55-21]
उदीर्यमाणम् अस्त्रम् तत् विश्वामित्रस्य धीमतः |
दृष्ट्वा विप्रद्रुता भीता मुनयः शतशो दिशः || १-५५-२२
22. dhii mataH = courage, minded [one with sparkling intellect]; vishvaamitrasya = of Vishvamitra; tat udiiryamaaNam astram = that, turbo-jetting, missile; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; shatashaH munayaH = hundreds of, saints; bhiitaa = are frightened; [shatasaH] dishaH = in hundreds, of ways; vi pra drutaa = very, speedily, fled.
"On seeing the turbo-jetting missiles of Vishvamitra jetted by his sparkling intellect, hundreds of saints were frightened and they very speedily fled in hundreds of ways. [1-55-22]
वसिष्ठस्य च ये शिष्याः ये च वै मृग पक्षिणः |
विद्रवन्ति भयात् भीता नाना दिक्भ्यः सहस्रशः || १-५५-२३
23. vasiSThasya ye shiSyaaH = of Vashishta , whoever, disciples; are there, they; mR^iga pakshiNaH = animals, birds; bhayaat bhiitaa = from fear, frightened; sahasrashaH = in thousands; naanaa dikbhyaH = to numerous, directions; vi dravanti = hastily, fleeing.
"Whoever is the disciple of Vashishta and whichever is either animal or a bird, all are utterly frightened and thousands of them have hastily fled to numerous directions. [1-55-23]
वसिष्ठस्य आश्रमपदम् शून्यम् आसीत् महात्मनः |
मुहूर्तम् इव निःशब्दम् आसीत् ईरिण संनिभम् || १-५५-२४
24. mahaa aatmanaH = vasiSThasya aashrama padam = of broad-minded sage, Vashishta 's, hermitage, threshold; shuunyam aasiit = void, it has become; muhuurtam iva = in a wink, just in; iriNa samnibham = arid land - burial ground, alike; niHshabdam aasiit = silence, became.
"The threshold of that broad-minded Vashishta's hermitage fell void, and in a wink it has become silent like a burial ground as every shrub, herb and tree is cindery, and every bird, animal and stock is an evacuee. [1-55-24]
वदतो वै वसिष्ठस्य मा भै इति मुहुर्मुहुः |
नाशयामि अद्य गाधेयम् नीहारम् इव भास्करः || १-५५-२५
25. bhaaskaraH niihaaram iva = Sun, to mist, as with - like sun demisting the mist; gaadheyam = Gadhi's son - Vishvamitra will be; adya naashayaami = now, I will destroy; maa bhai = do not, fear; iti = thus; vasiSThasya = of Vashishta; muhuH muhuH = again, again; vadataH = [although] saying [shouting at the fleeing inmates of hermitage, they have; vi pra drutaa = very, speedily, fled.]
"Although Vashishta shouted at them saying time and again, 'do not fear, do not fear... now I will dissipate that son of Gaadhi, Vishvamitra, like Sun demisting the mist,' all the inmates of hermitage have hastily fled. [1-55-25]
एवम् उक्त्वा महातेजा वसिष्ठो जपताम् वरः |
विश्वामित्रम् तदा वाक्यम् स रोषम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || १-५५-२६
26. mahaatejaaH japataam varaH vasiSThaH = great-resplendent, among best meditators, the best one, Vashishta; evam uktvaa = that way, on saying [to evacuees]; tadaa = then; vishvaamitram = to Vishvamitra; sa roSam = with, rancour; idam vaakyam abraviit = this, sentence, said.
"On saying that way to the evacuees, Vashishta, the great-resplendent sage and a best one among best meditators rancorously said this word to Vishvamitra. [1-55-26]
आश्रमम् चिर संवृद्धम् यत् विनाशितवान् असि |
दुराचारो हि यत् मूढ तस्मात् त्वम् न भविष्यसि || १-५५-२७
27. muuDha = oh, senseless one; cira sam vR^iddham aashramam = for a long time, well, nourished, hermitage; yat = by which reason; vinaashitavaan asi = havocked one, you have; yat = by which; dur aacaaraH hi = badly, in conduct [reprehensible one,] indeed you are; tasmaat = thereby; tvam na bhaviSyasi = you, will not, survive.
" 'You senseless king, by which reason you have havocked this hermitage that is well nourished for a long time by me, for that reason you have become a reprehensible one, and thereby you will not survive any longer. [1-55-27]
Vividly: 'when I have sensibly nourished the trees, birds and animals or disciples, saints and sages, in indoctrinating them the true dharma 'righteous duty...' observable by each of the birthed being, what necessitated you to harm the harmless 'fly anywhere' birds, 'new to world' calves and 'take what you need' trees and animals... you should have confronted me headlong, instead... but you on seeing such a beatitude of this hermitage, you have become envious in your self-aggrandisement... and as said in an old saying like, 'a senseless reprehensible being, may it be a human, animal, bird, or a reptile is unfit to survive for long...' you are now transposable with such a senseless being by this act of yours, which you have undertaken with the notion of 'survival of the fittest...' thereby I will now show you who is fit enough to survive, an instructor or an intruder, in effacing your survival...'
इति उक्त्वा परम क्रुद्धो दण्डम् उद्यंय सत्वरः |
विधूम इव काल अग्निः यम दण्डम् इव अपरम् || १-५५-२८
28. iti uktvaa = thus, on saying; sa tvaraH = with, haste [post-hastily]; parama kruddhaH = extremely, infuriated; vi dhuuma kaala agniH iva = without, fumes, Time, Fire, as with; aparam yama daNDam iva = another, Yama's, baton, which is like; daNDam = a baton; udyamya = Vashishta up heaved.
"On saying thus that extremely infuriated Sage Vashishta post-hastily up-heaved his baton, which is alike the fumeless Ultimate Fire of End Time, and the other baton of Yama, the Terminator, and affronted Vishvamitra." Thus, Sage Shataananda continued his narration of Vishvamitra's legend. [1-55-28]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये बाल काण्डे पंच पंचाशः सर्गः
© Dec, 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : November 04]