Sage Vishvamitra narrates the legend of Sagara, the earliest King of Ayodhya and Rama's forefather, who is childless, but who begets sixty thousand sons of merit and one son of demerit. Emperor Sagara is the one who brought celestial Ganga onto the surface of earth..
तां कथां कौशिको रामे निवेद्य मधुराक्षरम् |
पुन रेवापरं वाक्यं काकुत्स्थमिदमब्रवीत् || १-३८-१
1. kaushikaH = descendent of Kaushika, Vishvamitra; taam kathaam = that, legend of Kaarthikeya; raame nivedya = on submitting - describing to Rama; punaH eva = again, thus - further; idam aparam vaakyam = this, best, sentence; madhuraakSaram = in melodious words; kaakutstham abraviit = spoke to Rama of Kakutstha.
Describing that legend of Kaartikeya to Rama, the descendent of Kaushi, namely sage Vishvamitra has further spoken this best sentence worded melodiously to Rama, the descendent of Kakutstha. [1-38-1]
अयोध्याधिपतिर्वीरः पूर्वमासीन्नराधिपः |
सगरो नाम धर्मात्मा प्रजाकामः स चाप्रजः || १-३८-२
2. puurvam = once upon a time; ayodhyaadhipatiH = Ayodhya's king; viiraH dharmaatmaa = valiant one, virtue-souled one; sagaraH naama = renowned as Sagara; naraadhipaH aasiit = people's king, was there; saH = he was; aprajaH = without offspring; prajaakaamaH ca = longing for offspring, also.
"Once there was a valiant and virtue-souled king of Ayodhya named Sagara, who is without offspring, as such he was longing for offspring. [1-38-2]
वैदर्भदुहिता राम केशिनी नाम नामतः |
ज्येष्ठा सगरपत्नी सा धर्मिष्ठा सत्यवादिनी || १-३८-३
3. raama = oh Rama; vaidarbhaduhitaa = daughter of Vaidarbha [king of] ; naamataH keshinii naama = by name renowned as Keshini; jyeSThaa sagarapatnii = elder, Sagara's wife; saa dharmiSThaa satyavaadinii = she is, virtue minded and advocate of truth.
"The daughter of King of Vidarbha, renowned by name Keshini, is the eldest wife of Sagara, and she was virtue-minded, and an advocate of truth. [1-38-3]
अरिष्ठनेमिदुहिता सुपर्णभगिनी तु सा |
द्वितीया सगरस्यासीत् पत्नी सुमतिसंज्ञिता || १-३८-४
4. ariSThanemiduhitaa = Arishtanemi's daughter; suparNabhaginii tu = Garuda's sister, on her part; sumatisam~jnitaa = Sumati, indicated by - designated by that name; saa sagarasya = she is of Sagara; dvitiiyaa patnii aasiit = second, wife, was there.
"The daughter of Arishtanemi, namely sage Kashyapa, and who is also the sister of Garuda, the Divine-Eagle-vehicle of Vishnu, is the second wife of Sagara, who is known by the name Sumati. [1-38-4]
ताभ्यां सह महाराजा पत्नीभ्याम् तप्तवांस्तपः |
हिमवंतं समासाद्य भृगुप्रस्रवणे गिरौ || १-३८-५
5. taabhyaam patniibhyaam saha = along with them two wives ; [saH = he that]; mahaaraajaa = great-king; himavantam samaasaadya = on well-reaching Himalayas; bhR^iguprasravaNe girau = on Brhugu-prasavana, mountain; tapaH taptavaan = he undertook ascesis; for progeny.
"Reaching the Himalayan Mountains along with his two wives that great King Sagara practised asceticism on a mountain called Brugu-prsravana for progeny. [1-38-5]
The Mt. Brugu-prsravana is said to be among Himalayan range on which the kindness of Sage Bhrigu is ever- flowing.
अथ वर्षशते पूर्णे तपसाराधितो मुनिः |
सगराय वरं प्रादाद् भृगुः सत्यवतां वरः || १-३८-६
6. atha varSashate puurNe = then, on completion of hundred years ; tapasaa aaraadhitaH = one who is worshipped with asceticism; satyavataam varaH = prominent one among patrons of truth; bhR^iguH muniH = Bhrugu, the sage; sagaraaya varam praadaad = bestowed boon to Sagara.
"On completion of a hundred years of ascesis, and when the Sage Bhrugu is worshipped with asceticism, that sage who is a prominent one among the patrons of truth bestowed a boon to Sagara. [1-38-6]
अपत्यलाभः सुमहान् भविष्यति तवानघ |
कीर्तिं चाप्रतिमां लोके प्राप्स्यसे पुरुषर्षभ || १-३८-७
7. anagha = oh merited one; tava = to you; sumahaan apatyalabhaH bhaviSyati = very admirable, progeny achievement, will be there; puruSarSabha = oh best one among men; loke = in world; apratimaam kiirtim ca = not paralleled, renown, also; praapsyase = you will get.
" 'Oh, merited one, you will achieve very admirable progeny, and oh, best one among men, you will also acquire an unparalleled renown in the world. [1-38-7]
एका जनयिता तात पुत्रं वंशकरं तव |
षष्टिं पुत्रसहस्राणि ह्यपरा जनयिष्यति || १-३८-८
8. taata = oh dear-sire; ekaa = one - wife; tava vamshakaram = your, dynasty enricher; putram = one son; janayiSyati = will give birth to; aparaa = the other [wife]; SaSTim putrasahasraaNi = sixty thousand sons; janayitaa = will beget.
" 'One of your wives will mother a son who enriches your dynasty, oh, dear sire, and the other mothers sixty thousand sons.' Said Sage Bhrigu to Sagara. [1-38-8]
भाषमाणं महात्मानं राजपुत्र्यौ प्रसाद्य तम् |
ऊचतुः परमप्रीते कृतांजलिपुटे तदा || १-३८-९
9. tadaa = then; paramapriite = highly gladdened; raajaputryau = king's daughters - queens of Sagara; kR^itaanjalipuTe = on making adjoined palm's, planes; bhaaSamaaNam mahaatmaanam = he who is saying thus, great-soul - Sage Bhrigu; prasaadya = on gaining his grace; tam uucatuH = to him spoke.
Highly gladdened are the daughters of kings of Vidarbha and Aristanemi, i.e., the queens of Sagara, and on making palm-fold in supplication at the sage who is speaking that way, and on gaining the grace of that sage they spoke to him. [1-38-9]
एकः कस्याः सुतो ब्रह्मन् का बहून् जनयिष्यति |
श्रोतुमिच्छावहे ब्रह्मन् सत्यमस्तु वचस्तव || १-३८-१०
10. brahman = oh Brahma-sage; kasyaaH ekaH sutaH = to whom, one, son - will be there; kaa bahuun janayiSyati = who is she begets numerous [sons] ; brahman = oh Brahman; shrotum icChaavahe = we two wish to listen; tava vacaH satyam astu = let your word come true.
" 'Which of us will carry one son, oh, Brahma-sage, and which of us begets numerous sons, we two wish to listen about that, oh, Brahman, let your word betide truth.' Thus, the queens of Sagara spoke to the sage. [1-38-10]
तयोस्तद्वचनं श्रुत्वा भृगुः परमधार्मिकः |
उवाच परमां वाणीं स्वच्छन्दोऽत्र विधीयताम् || १-३८-११
11. paramadhaarmikaH bhR^iguH = one with - sublime sanctity, sage Bhrigu; tayoH tat vacanam shrutvaa = on listening their words ; paramaam vaaNiim uvaaca = with glorious, tone, spoke; atra = in this matter - this issue; svacChandaH vidhiiyataam = [your] freewill, be brought to bear - you may exercise.
On listening their words the Sage Bhrigu spoke in a glorious tone, 'let your freewill be brought to bear this issue'. [1-38-11]
एको वंशकरो वास्तु बहवो वा महाबलाः |
कीर्तिमन्तो महोत्साहाः का वा कं वरमिच्छति || १-३८-१२
12. vamshakaraH ekaH astu vaa = dynasty enriching, one son, there shall be, whether; mahaabalaaH = highly energetic ones; kiirtimantaH = highly renowned ones; mahotsaahaaH = highly enthusiastic ones; bahavaH vaa = numerous, whether; kaa vaa = who, either - among you two; kam varam icChati = what, boon, wanted.
'Whether one wants one son who enriches dynasty, or whether numerous sons who will be highly energetic, highly renowned, and highly enthusiastic. Who wants which boon from either of them?' Thus, the Sage gave them the option. [1-38-12]
मुनेस्तु वचनं श्रुत्वा केशिनी रघुनंदन |
पुत्रं वंशकरं राम जग्राह नृपसंनिधौ || १-३८-१३
13. raghunandana = oh Raghu's delight Rama; raama = oh Rama; muneH tu vacanam shrutvaa = on listening words of sage ; keshinii vamshakaram putram = queen Keshini, dynasty enriching, son; nR^ipasannidhau jagraaha = taken - chosen in the presence of king [Sagara] .
"On listening the words of the sage, oh, Rama, oh, delighter of Raghu's dynasty, the first queen Keshini has chosen one son who enriches the dynasty in the presence of King Sagara. [1-38-13]]
षष्टिं पुत्रसहस्राणि सुपर्णभगिनी तदा |
महोत्साहान् कीर्तिमतो जग्राह सुमतिः सुतान् || १-३८-१४
14. tadaa = then; suparNabhaginii = sister of mighty winged - Garuda; sumatiH = Sumati; mahotsaahaan kiirtimataH = great enthusiastic, highly reputed ones; SaSTim = sixty; putrasahasraaNi = thousand sons; sutaan = as sons; jagraaha = taken [chosen] .
"Sumati, the sister of mighty-winged Garuda and the second queen of Sagara has then chosen sixty thousand sons with great enthusiasm and high reputation. [1-38-14]
प्रदक्षिणमृषिं कृत्वा शिरसाभिप्रणम्य च |
जगाम स्वपुरं राजा सभार्या रघुनन्दन || १-३८-१५
15. raghunandana = oh Raghu's scion; sabhaaryaa raajaa = with wives, king; R^iSim pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = on performing circumambulation to sage; shirasaa abhipraNamya ca = reverenced head-bent, also; svapuram jagaama = proceeded to own city .
"On performing circumambulations to the Sage Bhrigu along with wives, oh, Raghu's scion, also on reverencing him head-bent, the king Sagara proceeded to his own city. [1-38-15]
अथ काले गते तस्मिन् ज्येष्ठा पुत्रं व्यजायत |
असमंज इति ख्यातं केशिनी सगरात्मजम् || १-३८-१६
16. atha = then; tasmin kaale gate = that, time, on passing; jyeSThaa keshinii = elder - wife, Keshini; sagaraatmajam = Sagara's son; asamanja iti khyaatam = Asamanja, thus - known as; putram vyajaayata = gave birth to son.
When the time rolled by then the elder wife Keshini gave birth to the son of Sagara who is reputed by the name Asamanja. [1-38-16]
सुमतिस्तु नरव्याघ्र गर्भतुंबं व्यजायत |
षष्टिः पुत्रसहस्राणि तुंबभेदाद्विनिःसृताः || १-३८-१७
17. naravyaaghra = the tigerly man; sumatiH tu = Sumati, on her part; garbhatumbam = gourd-like neonate; vyajaayata [vi+ajaayataa] = verily delivered; tumbabhedaat = on breaking up gourd-like egg; SaSTiH putrasahasraaNi = sixty thousand sons; viniHsR^itaaH = issued forth - from that gourd-like egg.
But the second queen Sumati on part, oh, tigerly-man Rama, verily delivered a round and long egg which is like a single gourd, and on breaking it up sixty thousand sons are issued forth from that cucumber like egg. [1-38-17]
घृतपूर्णेषु कुंभेषु धात्र्यस्तान् समवर्धयन् |
कालेन महता सर्वे यौवनं प्रतिपेदिरे || १-३८-१८
18. dhaatryaH = childminders; taan = them, the sons came from egg; ghR^itapuurNeSu kumbheSu = in vessels filled with ghee [clarified butter] ; samavardhayan = brought up the siblings; sarve = all of them - the children; mahataa kaalena = after protracted, time; yauvanam pratipedire = attained youthfulness.
The childminders brought up those siblings in vessels filled with ghee, the clarified butter, and after a protracted time all of the children have attained youthfulness. [1-38-18]
अथ दीर्घेण कालेन रूपयौवनशालिनः |
षष्टिः पुत्रसहस्राणि सगरस्याभवंस्तदा || १-३८-१९
19. atha diirgheNa kaalena = after, a long, time; sagarasya = of Sagara; SaSTiH putrasahasraaNi = sixty thousand sons; tadaa = then; ruupayauvanashaalinaH = with [handsome] aspect and with youthfulness; abhavan = they became.
After a long time the sixty thousand sons of king Sagara have become youthful, and handsome in their aspects. [1-38-19]
स च ज्येष्ठो नरश्रेष्ठ सगरस्यात्मसंभवः |
बालान् गृहीत्वा तु जले सरय्वा रघुनंदन || १-३८-२०
प्रक्षिप्य प्रहसन् नित्यं मज्जतस्तान् निरीक्ष्य वै |
20, 21a. narashreSTha = oh best among men - Rama; raghunandana = oh Raghu's delight; jyeSThaH = elder one [Asamanja]; saH sagarasya aatmasambhavaH = he, that Sagara's, own born - son; nityam baalaan gR^ihiitvaa = always, on grabbing children; sarayvaaH jale prakSipya = on hurling - the children in water of River Sarayu ; majjataH taan niriikSya = on seeing them drowning ; prahasan vai = used to laugh, indeed - used to enjoy.
But, oh, best one among men, oh, Rama, the elder son of the king Sagara, namely Asamanja, always used to grab and hurl children into the waters of River Sarayu, and on seeing the drowning children he used to enjoy with laughter. [1-38-20, 21a]
एवं पापसमाचारः सज्जनप्रतिबाधकः || १-३८-२१
पौराणामहिते युक्तः पित्रा निर्वासितः पुरात् |
21b, 22a. evam = this way; paapasamaacaaraH = with practise activity of sinister; sajjanapratibaadhakaH = torturer towards goodmen; pauraaNaam ahite yuktaH = delighted in not desirable - sadistic thinking of citizens; such a son; pitraa puraat nirvaasitaH = expatriated from city by father.
This way, when that son Asamanja is with sinister activity, a torturer of goodmen, and delighter in the undesirable activities towards citizens, his father king Sagara expatriated him from the city. [1-38-21b, 22a]
This Asamanja appears to be the person from the first-generation of sadistic child abusers, prior to Kamsa of Bhagavata.
तस्य पुत्रोंऽशुमान्नाम असमंजस्य वीर्यवान् || १-३८-२२
सम्मतः सर्वलोकस्य सर्वस्यापि प्रियंवदः |
22b, 23a. tasya asamanjasya putraH = his, son of Asamanja; viiryavaan = a valorous one; amshumaan naama = Anshuman, by name; sarvalokasya sammataH = acceptable one by all people ; sarvasya api priyamvadaH = with all [people] even, fondly one who converses with.
But Asamanja's son is a valorous one, who by name is Anshuman, and who is an acceptable one for all people and who fondly converses with all. [1-38 -22b, 23a]
ततः कालेन महता मतिः समभिजायत || १-३८-२३
सगरस्य नरश्रेष्ठ यजेयमिति निश्चिता |
23b, 24a. narashreSTha = oh best-of-men - Rama; tataH mahataa kaalena = then, after a long, time; sagarasya = for Sagara; yajeyam iti = I will perform ritual, thus; nishcitaa matiH samabhijaayata = decided thought has occurred.
"Oh, best one among men, Rama, then after along time a decided thought has occurred to king Sagara that, 'I shall perform a Vedic-ritual.'[1-38-23b, 24a]
स कृत्वा निश्चयं राजा सोपाध्यायगणस्तदा |
यज्ञकर्मणि वेदज्ञो यष्टुं समुपचक्रमे || १-३८-२४
24b, c. tadaa = then; veda~jnaH = knower of - expert in Veda-s ; saH raajaa = he, that king Sagara; sopaadhyaayagaNaH = along with assemblages of religious-teachers; yajnakarmaNi = in respect of Vedic-ritual's proceedings; nishcayam kR^itvaa = on making decision; yaSTum samupacakrame = commenced to perform ritual [well near started] .
That king Sagara who is an expert in Vedic-procedures has then taken a decision along with the assemblages of his religious-teachers insofar as the procedures of the ritual are concerned, and he commenced to perform the Vedic-ritual. [1-38-24b, c]
इति वाल्मीकिरामायणे आदिकाव्ये बालकाण्डे अष्टात्रिंशः सर्गः
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [ Revised : September 04]