Sage Vishvamitra narrates the legend of Sagara, the earliest King of Ayodhya and Rama's forefather, who is childlessness, but who begets sixty thousand sons of merit and one son of demerit. Emperor Sagara is the one who brought celestial Ganga onto the surface of earth..
taam kathaam kaushiko raame nivedya madhura akSharam |
punaH eva aparam vaakyam kaakutstham idam abraviit || 1-38-1
1. kaushikaH = descendent of Kaushika, Vishvamitra; taam kathaam = that, legend of Kaarthikeya; raame nivedya = in Rama, to Rama, on submitting - describing; punaH eva = again, thus - further; idam aparam vaakyam = , this, best, sentence; madhura akSaram = in melodious, words; kaakutstham abraviit = to Rama of Kakutstha, spoke.
Describing that legend of Kaartikeya to Rama, the descendent of Kaushi, namely sage Vishvamitra has further spoken this best sentence worded melodiously to Rama, the descendent of Kakutstha. [1-38-1]
ayodhyaa adhipatiH viiraH puurvam aasiit naraadhipaH |
sagaro naama dharmaatmaa prajaakaamaH sa ca aprajaH || 1-38-2
2. puurvam = once upon a time; ayodhyaa adhipatiH = Ayodhya's, king; viiraH dharmaatmaa = valiant one, virtue-souled one; sagaraH naama = Sagara, renowned as; nara adhipaH aasiit people's, king, was there; saH = he was; a prajaH = without, offspring; prajaa kaamaH ca = offspring, longing for, also.
"Once there was a valiant an virtue-souled king of Ayodhya named Sagara, who is without offspring, as such he was longing for offspring. [1-38-2]
vaidarbha duhitaa raama keshinii naama naamataH |
jyeShThaa sagara patnii saa dharmiShThaa satya vaadinii || 1-38-3
3. raamaH = oh, Rama; vaidarbha duhitaa = Vidarbha [king of], daughter; naamataH keshinii naama = by name, Keshini, renowned as; she was; jyeSThaa sagara patnii = elder, Sagara's, wife; saa dharma iSThaa satya vaadinii = she is, virtue, minded, truth, advocate of.
"The daughter of King of Vidarbha, renowned by name Keshini, is the eldest wife of Sagara, and she was virtue-minded, and an advocate of truth. [1-38-3]
ariShThanemi duhitaa suparNa bhaginii tu saa |
dvitiiyaa sagarasya aasiit patnii sumati saMGYitaa || 1-38-4
4. ariSThanemeH duhitaa = Arishtanemi's, daughter; suparNa bhaginii tu = Garuda's, sister, on her part; sumati samGYitaa = Sumati, indicated by - designated by that name; saa sagarasya = she is of Sagara; dvitiiyaa patnii aasiit = second, wife, was there.
"The daughter of Arishtanemi, namely sage Kashyapa, and who is also the sister of Garuda, the Divine-Eagle-vehicle of Vishnu, is the second wife of Sagara, who is known by the name Sumati. [1-38-4]
taabhyaam saha mahaaraajaa patniibhyaam taptavaan tapaH |
himavaMtam samaasaadya bhR^igu prasravaNe girau || 1-38-5
5. taabhyaam patniibhyaam saha = with them two, with two wives, along with; [saH = he that]; mahaaraajaa = great-king; himavantam sam aasaadya = Himalayas, on well-reaching; bhR^igu pra sravaNe girau = on Brhugu-prasavana, mountain; tapaH taptavaan = ascesis, he undertook; for progeny.
"Reaching the Himalayan Mountains along with his two wives that great King Sagara practised asceticism on a mountain called Brugu-prsravana for progeny. [1-38-5]
The Mt. Brugu-prsravana is said to be among Himalayan range on which the kindness of Sage Bhrigu is ever- flowing.
atha varSha shate puurNe tapasaa aaraadhito muniH |
sagaraaya varam praadaad bhR^iguH satyavataam varaH || 1-38-6
6. atha varSa shate puurNe = then, years, hundred, on completion of; tapasaa aaraadhitaH = with asceticism, one who is worshipped; satyavataam varaH = among patrons of truth, prominent one; bhR^iguH muniH = Bhrugu, the sage; sagaraaya varam praadaad = to Sagara, boon, bestowed.
"On completion of a hundred years of ascesis, and when the Sage Bhrugu is worshipped with asceticism, that sage who is a prominent one among the patrons of truth bestowed a boon to Sagara. [1-38-6]
apatya laabhaH sumahaan bhaviShyati tava anagha |
kiirtim ca apratimaam loke praapsyase puruSharShabha || 1-38-7
7. anagha = oh, merited one; tava = to you; su mahaan apatya labhaH bhaviSyati = very, admirable, progeny, achievement, will be there; puruSarSabha = oh, best one among men; loke = in world; a pratimaam kiirtim ca = not, paralleled, renown, also; praapsyase you will get.
" 'Oh, merited one, you will achieve very admirable progeny, and oh, best one among men, you will also acquire an unparalleled renown in the world. [1-38-7]
ekaa janayitaa taata putram vaMshakaram tava |
ShaShTim putra sahasraaNi aparaa janayiShyati || 1-38-8
8. taata = oh, dear-sire; ekaa = one - wife; tava vamsha karam = your, dynasty, enriching; putram = one son; janayiSyati = will give birth to; aparaa = the other [wife]; SaSTim putra sahasraaNi = sixty, sons, a thousand of - six thousand sons; janayitaa = will beget.
" 'One of your wives will mother a son who enriches your dynasty, oh, dear sire, and the other mothers sixty thousand sons.' Said Sage Bhrigu to Sagara. [1-38-8]
bhaaShamaaNam mahaatmaanam raaja putryau prasaadya tam |
uucatuH parama priite kR^itaaMjali puTe tadaa || 1-38-9
9. tadaa = then; parama priite = highly, gladdened; raaja putryau = king's, daughters - queens of Sagara; kR^ita anjali puTe = on making, adjoined palm's, planes; bhaaSamaaNam mahaatmaanam = he who is saying thus, great-soul - Sage Bhrigu; prasaadya = on gaining his grace; tam uucatuH = to him spoke.
Highly gladdened are the daughters of kings of Vidarbha and Aristanemi, i.e., the queens of Sagara, and on making palm-fold in supplication at the sage who is speaking that way, and on gaining the grace of that sage they spoke to him. [1-38-9]
ekaH kasyaaH suto brahman kaa bahuun janayiShyati |
shrotum icChaavahe brahman satyam astu vacaH tava || 1-38-10
10. brahman = oh, Brahma-sage; kasyaaH ekaH sutaH = to whom, one, son - will be there; kaa bahuun janayiSyati who is she, numerous [sons,] begets; brahman = oh, Brahman; shrotum icChaavahe = to listen, we two wish to; tava vacaH satyam astu = your, word, let come, true.
" 'Which of us will carry one son, oh, Brahma-sage, and which of us begets numerous sons, we two wish to listen about that, oh, Brahman, let your word betide truth.' Thus, the queens of Sagara spoke to the sage. [1-38-10]
tayoH tat vacanam shrutvaa bhR^iguH paramadhaarmikaH |
uvaaca paramaam vaaNiim svacChando atra vidhiiyataam || 1-38-11
11. parama dhaarmikaH bhR^iguH = one with - sublime, sanctity, sage Bhrigu; tayoH tat vacanam shrutvaa = of their, words, on listening; paramaam vaaNiim uvaaca = with glorious, tone, spoke; atra = in this matter - this issue; svacChandaH vidhiiyataam = [your] freewill, be brought to bear - you may exercise.
On listening their words the Sage Bhrigu spoke in a glorious tone, 'let your freewill be brought to bear this issue. [1-38-11]
eko vaMsha karo vaa astu bahavo vaa mahaabalaaH |
kiirtimanto mahotsaahaaH kaa vaa kam varam icChati || 1-38-12
12. vamsha karaH ekaH astu vaa = dynasty, enriching, one son, there shall be, whether; mahaa balaaH = highly, energetic ones; kiirtimantaH = highly renowned ones; mahaa utsaahaaH = highly, enthusiastic ones; bahavaH vaa = numerous, whether; kaa vaa = who, either - among you two; kam varam icChati = what, boon, wanted.
" 'Whether one wants one son who enriches dynasty, or whether numerous sons who will be highly energetic, highly renowned, and highly enthusiastic. Who wants which boon from either of them?' Thus, the Sage gave them the option. [1-38-12]
muneH tu vacanam shrutvaa keshinii raghunaMdana |
putram vaMsha karam raama jagraaha nR^ipa saMnidhau || 1-38-13
13. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's, delight Rama; raama = oh, Rama; muneH tu vacanam shrutvaa = of sage, but, words, on listening; keshinii vamsha karam putram = queen Keshini, dynasty, enriching, son; nR^ipa sannidhau jagraaha = king [Sagara,] in the presence of, taken - chosen.
"On listening the words of the sage, oh, Rama, oh, delighter of Raghu's dynasty, the first queen Keshini has chosen one son who enriches the dynasty in the presence of King Sagara. [1-38-13]]
ShaShTim putra sahasraaNi suparNa bhaginii tadaa |
mahotsaahaan kiirtimato jagraaha sumatiH sutaan || 1-38-14
14. tadaa = then; su parNa bhaginii = mighty winged -m Garudas, sister; sumatiH = Sumati; maha utsaahaan kiirtimataH = great, enthusiastic, highly reputed ones; SaSTim = sixty; putra sahasraaNi = sons, thousand; sutaan = as sons; jagraaha = taken [chosen,], sons.
"Sumati, the sister of mighty-winged Garuda and the second queen of Ssagara has then chosen sixty thousand sons with great enthusiasm and high reputation. [1-38-14]
pradakShiNam R^iShim kR^itvaa shirasaa abhipraNaMya ca |
jagaama sva puram raajaa sabhaaryaa raghu nandana || 1-38-15
15. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's, scion of; sa bhaaryaa raajaa = with, wives, king; R^iSim pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = to sage, circumambulation, on performing; shirasaa abhi praNamya ca = head-bent, reverenced, also; sva puram jagaama = own, city proceeded to.
"On performing circumambulations to the Sage Bhrigu along with wives, oh, Raghu's scion, also on reverencing him head-bent, the king Sagara proceeded to his own city. [1-38-15]
atha kaale gate tasmin jyeShThaa putram vyajaayata |
asamaMja iti khyaatam keshinii sagaraatmajam || 1-38-16
16. atha = then; tasmin kaale gate = that, time, on passing; jyeSThaa keshinii = elder - wife, Keshini; sagara aatmajam = Sagara's, son; asamanja iti khyaata = Asamanja, thus - known as; putram vyajaayata = to son, gave birth.
"When the time rolled by then the elder wife Keshini gave birth to the son of Sagara who is reputed by the name Asamanja. [1-38-16]
sumatiH tu naravyaaghra garbha tuMbam vyajaayata |
ShaShTiH putra sahasraaNi tuMba bhedaat viniHsR^itaaH || 1-38-17
17. nara vyaaghra = man, the tiger; sumati tu = Sumati, on her part; garbha tumbam = neonate, which is gourd-like; vyajaayata [vi a jaayataa] = verily, delivered; tumba bhedaat = gourd-like egg, on breaking up; SaSTiH putra sahasraaNi = sixty, sons, thousand; viniHsR^itaaHissued forth - from that gourd-like egg.
"But the second queen Sumati on part, oh, tigerly-man Rama, verily delivered a round and long egg which is like a single gourd, and on breaking it up sixty thousand sons are issued forth from that cucumber like egg. [1-38-17]
ghR^ita puurNeShu kuMbheShu dhaatryaH taan samavardhayan |
kaalena mahataa sarve yauvanam pratipedire || 1-38-18
18. dhaatryaH = childminders; taan = them, the sons came from egg; ghR^ita puurNeSu kumbheSu = ghee [clarified butter,] filled with, in vessels; sam vavardhayanv = brought up the siblings; sarve = all of them - the children; mahataa kaalena = after protracted, time; yauvanam pratipedire = youthfulness, attained.
"The childminders brought up those siblings in vessels filled with ghee, the clarified butter, and after a protracted time all of the children have attained youthfulness. [1-38-18]
atha diirgheNa kaalena ruupa yauvanashaalinaH |
ShaShTiH putra sahasraaNi sagarasya abhavan tadaa || 1-38-19
19. atha diirgheNa kaalena = after, a long, time; sagarasya = of Sagara; SaSTiH putra sahasraaNi = sixty, sons, thousand; tadaa = then; ruupa yauvana shaalinaH = with [handsome] aspect, with youthfulness; abhavat = they became.
"After a long time the sixty thousand sons of king Sagara have become youthful, and handsome in their aspects. [1-38-19]
sa ca jyeShTho narashreShTha sagarasya aatma saMbhavaH |
baalaan gR^ihiitvaa tu jale sarayvaa raghunaMdana || 1-38-20
prakShipya prahasan nityam majjatas taan niriikShya vai |
20, 21a. nara shreSTha = oh, man, best among - Rama; raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's, delight; jyeSThaH = elder one [Asamanja]; saH sagarasya aatma sambhavaH = he, that Sagara's, own, born - son; nityam baalaan gR^ihiitvaa = always, children, on grabbing; sarayvaa jale prakSipya = River Sarayu's, in water, on hurling - the children; majjataH taan niriikSya = drowning, them, on seeing; prahasan vai = used to laugh, indeed - used to enjoy.
But, oh, best one among men, oh, Rama, the elder son of the king Sagara, namely Asamanja, always used to grab and hurl children into the waters of River Sarayu, and on seeing the drowning children he used to enjoy with laughter. [1-38-20, 21a]
evam paapa samaacaaraH sajjana pratibaadhakaH || 1-38-21
pauraaNaam ahite yuktaH pitraa nirvaasitaH puraat |
21b, 22a. evam = this way; paapa samaacaaraH = sinister, with practise activity; sajjana prati baadhakaH = goodmen, towards, torturer; pauraaNaam a hite yuktaH = of citizens, not, desirable - sadistic thinking, delighted in; such a son; pitraa puraat nirvaasitaH = by father, from city, expatriated.
This way, when that son Asamanja is with sinister activity, a torturer of goodmen, and delighter in the undesirable activities towards citizens, his father king Sagara expatriated him from the city. [1-38-21b, 22a]
This Asamanja appears to be the person from the first-generation of sadistic child abusers, prior to Kamsa of Bhagavata.
tasya putro aMshumaan naama asamaMjasya viiryavaan || 1-38-22
sammataH sarva lokasya sarvasya api priyam vadaH |
22b, 23a. tasya asamanjasya putraH = his, of Asamanja, son; viiryavaan = a valorous one; amshumaan naama = Anshuman, by name; sarva lokasya sammataH = by all, people, acceptable one; sarvasya api priyam vadaH = with all [people,] even, fondly, one who converses with.
But Asamanja's son is a valorous one, who by name is Anshuman, and who is an acceptable one for all people and who fondly converses with all. [1-38 -22b, 23a]
tataH kaalena mahataa matiH samabhijaayata || 1-38-23
sagarasya narashreShTha yajeyam iti nishcitaa |
23b, 24a. narashreSTha = oh, best-of-men - Rama; tataH mahataa kaalena = then, after a long, time; sagarasya = for Sagara; yajeyam iti = I will perform ritual, thus; nishcitaa matiH sam abhijaayata = decided, thought, well, chanced.
"Oh, best one among men, Rama, then after along time a decided thought has occurred to king Sagara that, 'I shall perform a Vedic-ritual.'[1-38-23b, 24a]
sa kR^itvaa nishcayam raajaa sa upaadhyaaya gaNaH tadaa |
yaGYa karmaNi vedaGYo yaShTum samupacakrame || 1-38-24
24b, c. tadaa = then; veda GYaH = Veda-s, knower of - expert in; saH raajaa = he, that king Sagara; saha upaadhyaaya gaNaH = along with, religious-teachers, assemblages of; yaGYa karmaNi = in respect of Vedic-ritual's, proceedings; nishcayam kR^itvaa = decision, on making; yaSTum sam upa cakrame = to perform ritual, [well, near, started] commenced.
"That king Sagara who is an expert in Vedic-procedures has then taken a decision along with the assemblages of his religious-teachers insofar as the procedures of the ritual are concerned, and he commenced to perform the Vedic-ritual. [1-38-24b, c]
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye baala kaaNDe aShTaa triMshaH sargaH
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [ Revised : September 04]