Sage Vishvamitra continues his narration about the earthly course of Ganga, her begetting Kaartikeya, Krittika-stars breast-feeding that boy, gods naming that boy as Kaarthikeya, and that boy's anointment as the Chief of Celestial Armies.
tapyamaane tadaa deve sa indraaH sa agni purogamaaH |
senaapatim abhiipsantaH pitaamaham upaagaman || 1-37-1
1. deve tapyamaane = of god Shiva, while undertaking ascesis; tadaa = then; [devaaH = gods]; saH indraaH = with, Indra; senaa patim abhiipsantaH = army, chief, desiring for; sa agni purogamaaH = with, Fire-god, keeping afore - as leader; pitaamaham upaagaman = tlowards Forefather - Brahma, arrived at the nearby of.
"While god Shiva is undertaking ascesis thus, then the gods desiring an Army Chief for celestial forces have arrived in the audience of Forefather Brahma, along with Indra and keeping Fire-god at their fore." Sage Vishvamitra continued his narration to Rama. [1-37-1]
tato abruvan suraaH sarve bhagavaMtam pitaamaham |
praNipatya suraaH raama sa indraaH sa agni purogamaaH || 1-37-2
2. raama = oh, Rama; sa indraaH = with Indra; sa agni purogamaaH = with Fire-god, keeping ahead of their delegation; suraaH sarve = = celestials, all of them; bhagavantam pitaamaham = to the god [to Brahma,] Forefather; praNipatya = on venerating; tataH = then; abruvan = spoke to.
"On approaching the Forefather Brahma, oh, Rama, all of the celestials headed by Fire-god and along with Indra have venerated and then spoke this to him. [1-37-2]
yena senaapatiH deva datto bhagavataa puraa |
sa tapaH param aasthaaya tapyate sma saha umayaa || 1-37-3
3. deva = oh, god - Brahma; yena bhagavataa = by whom, by god - Shiva; puraa = earlier; [naH = to us]; senaa patiH dattaH = army, chief, is given - in the form of Shiva's potence in a hypothetical way; saH = he - Shiva; umayaa saha = Uma, along with; param tapaH aasthaaya = supreme, ascesis, on undertaking; tapyate sma = he is practising ascesis, indeed.
" 'Oh, god Brahma, he who has hypothetically given a Chief of Celestial Army in the form of his potence that god Shiva is undertaking a supreme ascesis, indeed along with Goddess Uma. [1-37-3]
The potence that is stirred from Shiva and given to earth as in last chapter has not yet materialised as Kaarthikeya.
yat atra anaMtaram kaaryam lokaanaam hita kaaMyayaa |
saMvidhatsva vidhaanaj~na tvam hi naH paramaa gatiH || 1-37-4
4. vidhaana j~na = oh, procedure, knower - Brahma; lokaanaam hita kaamyayaa = for worlds, welfare, intent on - looking forward; atra = in this matter; anantaram yat kaaryam = later, which, action - what next is to be done; sam vi dhatsva = fully, verily, order - let it be ordered clearly; tvam naH paramaa gatiH hi = you alone, for us, ultimate, recourse.
" 'Looking forward for the welfare of the worlds, oh, knower of the procedures, Brahma, you may order us clearly what is to be done next, as you alone are our ultimate recourse. [1-37-4]
devataanaam vacaH shrutvaa sarva loka pitaamahaH |
saantvayan madhuraiH vaakyaiH tridashaan idam abraviit || 1-37-5
5. sarva loka pitaamahaH = all, worlds, Forefather Brahma; devataanaam vacaH shrutvaa = of gods, words, on listing; madhuraiH vaakyaiH = with sweet, words; tridashaan saantvayan = to gods, to sooth them; idam abraviit = this, spoke to.
"On listening the words of gods, Brahma, the Forefather of all the worlds, soothingly spoke this to the celestials with sweet words. [1-37-5]
shaila putryaa yat uktam tat na prajaaH svaasu patniShu |
tasyaa vacanam akliShTam satyam eva na saMshayaH || 1-37-6
6. yat shaila putryaa uktam = what, by mountain, daughter - Uma, is said; tat = by that reason; [vaH = you gods]; svaasu patniSu = in your own, wives; na prajaaH = no, posterity; [na prajaasyatha = you cannot generate progeny]; tasyaaH vacanam a nkliSTam = her, sentence, not, to be put to shame - decried; satyam eva = true, only - her word; samshayaH na = ambiguity, not there.
" 'What the Daughter of Mountain, namely Goddess Uma, has said that 'you shall have no posterity in your own wives' is true and it cannot be decried, and it is unambiguous too. [1-37-6]
iyam aakaasha gaMgaa yasyaam putram hutaashanaH |
janayiShyati devaanaam senaapatim ariMdamam || 1-37-7
7. yasyaam = in which, in whom - Ganga; hutaashanaH = Fire-god; arindamam = one who ca destroy enemies; such a; devaanaam senaa patim putram = celestials', army, chief, son; janayiSyati = who can give birth to - Fire-god who can procreate; such a; iyam aakaasha gangaa = this, empyreal, Ganga - is there.
" 'In whom the Fire-god can procreate an enemy-destroying Chief of Celestial Armies, such an empyreal Ganga is there. [1-37-7]
jyeShThaa shailendra duhitaa maanayiShyati tam sutam |
umaayaaH tat bahumatam bhaviShyati na saMshayaH || 1-37-8
8. jyeSThaa shailendra duhitaa = elder, mountain king, daughter [Ganga]; tam sutam = him, that [prospective] son; maanayiSyati = will welcome graciously; tat = that - act of Ganga in welcoming boy; umaayaaH bahu matam bhaviSyati = to Uma, in many ways, pleasurable, it will be; samshayaH na = doubt, is not there.
" 'The elder daughter King of Mountains, namely Ganga, will graciously welcome the offspring from Fire-god, and that act of Ganga in welcoming the offspring through Fire-god will also be pleasurable in many ways to the younger daughter of King of Mountains, namely Uma, no doubt about it.' So said Brahma to all the gods. [1-37-8]
tat shrutvaa vacanam tasya kR^itaarthaa raghunandana |
praNipatya suraaH sarve pitaamaham apuujayan || 1-37-9
9. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's delight - Rama; suraaH sarve = gods, all of them; tasya tat vacanam shrutvaa = his - Brahma's, that, sentence, on hearing; kR^ita arthaa = with achieved, ends - at this bidding fair of Brahma; pitaamaham praNipatya apuujayan = at Forefather, sang the praises, worshipped.
"On hearing those words of Brahma, oh, Rama, the delight of Raghu's dynasty, all the gods have praisefully worshipped him, as their ends are achieved at the bidding fair of Brahma. [1-37-9]
te gatvaa paramam raama kailaasam dhaatu maNDitam |
agnim niyojayaamaasuH putraartham sarva devataaH || 1-37-10
10. raama = oh, Rama; te sarva devataaH = they, all of the, gods; dhaatu maNDitam = with ores, encompassed - heaped up; paramam kailaasam gatvaa = to supreme, to Mt. Kailash, on going to; putra artham = son, purpose of - to father the son; agnim niyojayaamaasuH = Fire-god, started to assign.
"On going to that supreme Mt. Kailash, oh, Rama, which is heaped up with many ores, all of those gods have assigned the Fire-god to father a son. [1-37-10]
deva kaaryam idam deva samaadhatsva hutaashana |
shaila putryaam mahaatejo gaMgaayaam teja utsR^ija || 1-37-11
11. deva = oh, god; huta ashana = oh, consumer of oblations - Fire-god; idam deva kaaryam = this, god's, mission; samaadhatsva = you coordinate; mahaa tejaH = oh, great-resplendent one - Fire-god; tejaH = potence - of Shiva; shaila putryaam gangaayaam = Mountain's [Himalayas',] in daughter, in Ganga; utsR^ija = release.
" 'Oh, Fire-god, you please coordinate the mission of gods, oh, great-resplendent god of Fire, you may release the potence of Shiva, which you have contained so far, in the daughter of King of Mountains, namely River Ganga.' Thus, all gods have requested the Fire-god. [1-37-11]
devataanaam pratij~naaya gaMgaam abhyetya paavakaH |
garbham dhaaraya vai devi devataanaam idam priyam || 1-37-12
12. paavakaH = all-purifier - Fire-god; devataanaam pratij~naaya = to gods, on assuring - that he will do his best; gangaam abhyetya = Ganga, having approached; devi = oh, goddess Ganga; garbham dhaaraya vai = pregnancy, you bear, verily; idam devataanaam priyam = this [act,] for gods, select [act, process.]
"On assuring the gods that he will do his best, the Fire-god approached Ganga entreating, 'Oh, Goddess Ganga, you verily bear pregnancy with the potence of Shiva, since this is the select process of all the gods.' So said Fire-god to River Ganga. [1-37-12]
iti etat vacanam shrutvaa divyam ruupam adhaarayat |
sa tasyaa mahimaam dR^iShTvaa samaMtaat avakiiryata || 1-37-13
13. iti etat vacanam shrutvaa = thus, that, sentence - of Fire-god, on listening; divyam ruupam adhaarayat = divine, form, [Ganga] adopted; saH = he - Fire-god; tasyaa mahimaam = her, glory - of mien; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; samantaat avakiiryata = all over, spread.
"On listening that sentence of Fire-god, River Ganga adopted a celestial form readying herself, and on seeing her glorious mien the Fire-god seeped throughout her. [1-37-13]
samaMtataH tadaa deviim abhyaShiMcata paavakaH |
sarva srotaaMsi puurNaani gaMgaayaa raghunandana || 1-37-14
14. raghunandana = oh, of Raghu, delight; tadaa = then; paavakaH = Fire-god; deviim samantataH abhyaSincata = Goddess - Ganga, all over, drenched her with the potence of Shiva; gangaayaaH = of Ganga; sarva srotaamsi puurNaani = every, channel [rill of Ganga,] replete with.
"The Fire-god then drenched River Ganga from all over with the potence of Shiva which he contained so far, oh, Raghu's delight Rama, and every rill and channel of Ganga is replete with it. [1-37-14]
tam uvaaca tato gaMgaa sarva deva purogamam |
ashaktaa dhaaraNe deva tejaH tava samuddhatam || 1-37-15
dahyamaanaa agninaa tena saMpravyathita cetanaa |
15, 16a. tataH = then; gangaa = Ganga; sarva deva purogamam = all, god, who is in forefront of - Fire-god; tam uvaaca = to him - Fire-god, spoke; deva = oh, God - Fire-god; sam uddhatam = upheaved - rampant; tava tejaH = your, intense heat - fervour compounded with that of Shiva; dhaaraNe = to bear up; a shaktaa = I am not, capable; tena agninaa dahyamaanaa = by that, fire [of the potence of Shiva,] while being burnt; sampravyathita [sam pra vyathita] = very, highly, tortured; cetanaa = with such a heart - vitality.
"River Ganga then spoke this to the Fire-god who is in the lead of all gods, 'oh, god, I am incapable to bear up the rampant fervour of yours, and while being burnt with the fire of god Shiva compounded with that of yours my life-force is very highly tortured.' [1-37-15, 16a]
atha abraviit idam gaMgaam sarva deva hutaashanaH || 1-37-16
iha haimavate paarshve garbho ayam saMniveshyataam |
16b, 17a. atha = then; sarva deva huta ashanaH = all, god's, fire-oblations, consumer - consumer of fire oblations on behalf of all gods; gangaam idam abraviit = to Ganga, this, said - on seeing her miserable plight; ayam garbhaH = that, embryo; iha haimavate paarshve [paade] = here, at Himalayan Mountains, by the side of [at the foot of]; sam niveshyataam = verily, consign to - relocated at.
"He who consumes fire-oblations on behalf of all the gods, that Fire-god seeing the miserable condition of River Ganga then spoke this to her, ''you may lay away that embryo here at the side of Himalayan Mountains.' So said Fire-god to River Ganga. [1-37-16b, 17a]
shrutvaa tu agni vaco gaMgaa tam garbham atibhaasvaram || 1-37-17
utsasarja mahaatejaaH srotobhyo hi tadaa anagha |
17b, 18a. mahaa tejaaH = oh, great-resplendent, Rama; anagha = oh, charming prince; agni vacaH shrutvaa tu = Fire-god's, words, on hearing, on her part; gangaa = Ganga; tadaa = that way; ati bhaasvaram = highly, refulgent; tam garbham = that, embryo; srotobhyaH utsasarja hi = from her channels [and rills,] ejected, indeed.
"Oh, great-resplendent Rama, on hearing the words of Fire-god, oh, charming prince Rama, River Ganga indeed ejected that great-radiant embryo of Shiva from all her rills and channels. [1-37-17b, 18a]
yat asyaa nirgatam tasmaat tapta jaaMbuunada prabham || 1-37-18
kaaMcanam dharaNiim praaptam hiraNyam atula prabham |
18b, 19a. asyaaH = from her - from Ganga; tapta jaambuunada prabham = molten, gold, with a glitter of; yat = which; [tejaH = refulgent potence is there]; nir gatam = out, coming - emerged; dharaNiim praaptam = earth, that which has reached; tasmaat = from that; hiraNyam = silver; a tula prabham kaancanam = un, balanceable - matchless, in dazzle, gold; [abhavat = emerged.]
"Which refulgent embryo with the glitter of molten gold has emerged from River Ganga is there that has reached earth, and from that the silver, and even the gold with its matchless dazzle have emerged. [1-37-18]
taamram kaarShNaayasam caiva taikShNyaat eva abhijaayata || 1-37-19
malam tasya abhavat tatra trapu siisakam eva ca |
tat etat dharaNiim praapya naanaa dhaatuH avardhata || 1-37-20
19b, 20. tatra = in that - process; taikSNyaat = from combustion - [kshaara = metallic alkali, element]; taamram = copper; kaarSNaayasam = iron; ca eva = also thus; abhijaayata = are generated; tasya = its - of the semen of Shiva; malam = from residua; trapu = tin; siisakam eva ca = lead, also, thus; abhavat = became; tat etat = that, thus - such as it is - that potence of Shiva; dharaNiim praapya = earth, on reaching; naanaa dhaatuH avardhata = various, elements, evolved as.
"In that process, copper and iron are also generated from that combustion of fires of Shiva and Fire-god, and the residua have become tin and lead, and thus that embryo on reaching the earth has evolved itself into various other elements also. [1-37-19b, 20]
nikShipta maatre garbhe tu tejobhiH abhiraMjitam |
sarvam parvata saMnaddham sauvarNam abhavat vanam || 1-37-21
21. garbhe nikSipta maatre tu = embryo, is laid down, just when, but; sarvam = entire; parvata samnaddham = on Himalayan mountains, sprouted - uprisen; vanam = forest - reed-garden; tejobhiH abhiranjitam = with [embryo's] glitter, made brilliant; sauvarNam abhavat = golden [reed-garden,] became.
"But, just when that embryo is laid down on Himalayan mountains, entire reed-garden sprouted on that mountain is made brilliant by that glittering embryo and the reed-garden itself has become golden. [1-37-21]
jaataruupam iti khyaatam tadaa prabhR^iti raaghava |
suvarNam puruShavyaaghra hutaashana sama prabham |
tR^iNa vR^iksha lataa gulmam sarvam bhavati kaaMcanam || 1-37-22
22. puruSavyaaghra = oh, tigerly-man, Rama; raaghava = oh, Raghava tadaa prabhR^iti = then; onwards; hutaashana sama prabham = Fire-god, equal, in its brilliance; suvarNam = gold; jaata ruupam iti = birth-time, form, thus as; khyaatam = renowned; sarvam = everything; tR^iNa vR^iksha lataa gulmam = grass, tress, climbers, shrubs kaancanam bhavati = golden, they have become.
"Oh, tigerly-man, from then onwards the gold with its brilliance equalling that of the Fire-god is renowned by the name of jaata ruupa , one that retains its birth-time form, and oh, Raghava, everything on the mountain, say grass, trees, climbers, and shrubs, all have become golden. [1-37-22]
The gold has the etymological name of jaata ruupa 'birth-time-form.' As and when Ganga's disgorged her womb there appeared a forest of fire like gold. So, the gold glowing like fire is called gold at many places in Ramayana. Pt. Satya Vrat.
tam kumaaram tato jaatam sa indraaH saha marud gaNaaH |
kShiira saMbhaavana arthaaya kR^ittikaaH samayojayan || 1-37-23
23. tataH = then; jaatam tam kumaaram = birthed, him, the son - from the embryo; sa indraaH marut gaNaaH = with, Indra, Wind-gods, assemblages of; saha = at a time - to suckle the baby simultaneously; kSiira sambhaavana arthaaya = milk, to nourish with, for the purpose of - to suckle and nourish; kR^ittikaaH samayojayan = Krittikaa stars, are arranged.
"Then for the boy who took birth from the embryo deposited in Himalayas, the Wind-gods along with Indra have arranged Krittika stars to simultaneously suckle him. [1-37-23]
taaH kShiiram jaata maatrasya kR^itvaa samayam uttamam |
daduH putro ayam asmaakam sarvaasaam iti nishcitaaH || 1-37-24
24. taaH = those females - Krittika stars; nishcitaaH = deciding among themselves; ayam asmaakam sarvaasaam putraH = he is, our, all of us, let him be the son - let him be the son for all of us; iti = thus; uttamam samayam kR^itvaa = best, resolve, on making jaata maatrasya = who is born, just then; kSiiram daduH = milk, they gave.
"Those Krittika stars have decided among themselves that 'this boy shall be the son for all of us,' and on making such a best resolve they suckled the just born boy. [1-37-24]
tataH tu devataaH sarvaaH kaartikeya iti bruvan |
putraH trailokya vikhyaato bhaviShyati na saMshayaH || 1-37-25
25. tataH = then; sarvaaH devataaH = all, gods; putraH = this boy; kaartikeya iti = Kaartikeya [son of Krittika-s,] thus; trailokya vikhyaataH bhaviSyati = in three worlds, renowned, he will be; samshayaH na = doubt, is not there; iti bruvan = thus, they said.
"All the gods have then said, 'this boy will be renowned in all the three world as Kaarthikeya, as Krittika-stars have suckled him, with any doubt.' [1-37-25]
teShaam tat vacanam shrutvaa skannam garbha parisrave |
snaapayan parayaa lakShMyaa diipyamaanam yathaa analam || 1-37-26
26. teSaam tat vacanam shrutvaa = their of gods, that, sentence, on hearing - on hearing gods blessings; garbha parisrave skannam = from womb of Ganga, secretion, who slid down; analam yathaa = who fire, as with; parayaa lakSmyaa diipyamaanam = excellently, aupicious, radiance - glowing with; snaapayan = to give a bath; they started to.
"On hearing that blessing of gods Krittika stars gave a wash to that excellently auspicious boy who is radiant like fire, and who slid down from the secretion of the womb of Ganga. [1-37-26]
skaMda iti abruvan devaaH skannam garbha parisravaat |
kaartikeyam mahaabaahum kaakutstha jvalana upamam || 1-37-27
27. kaakutstha = oh, Rama of Kakutstha; jvalana upamam = flare of fire, similar to - glow; mahaa baahum = ambidextrous; garbha parisravaat skannam = from womb's, secretions, who slid down; such a; kaartikeyam = Kaartikeya - is called; devaaH = gods; skanda iti abruvan = Skanda, thus, they called him - in its lexical meaning - to slid, who glissaded.
"And gods called that boy, oh, Rama of Kakutstha, whose glow is like that of flaring fire and who is ambidextrous as 'Skanda' for he slid down from the secretions of a womb. [1-37-27]
praadur.hbhuutam tataH kShiiram kR^ittikaanaam anuttamam |
ShaNNaam ShaD aanano bhuutvaa jagraaha stanajam payaH || 1-37-28
28. tataH = then; kR^ittikaanaam an uttamam kSiiram = = in Krittikaa-stars [breasts,] un, excelling, milk; praadurhbhuutam = instantly came forth; SaNNaam = of six of them, the Krittika stars; stana jam payaH = breat, born, milk; SaDaananaH - SaT aanana = six, faced one - the boy; bhuutvaa = one becoming - six faced boy; [samam = at the same time]; jagraaha = drew out, sucked milk.
"Then an unexcelled milk instantly came forth from the breasts of the six Krittika-stars, and becoming a six-faced one that boy too sucked that milk from the six Krittika-stars at the same time. [1-37-28]
It is said that each of the six Krittika-stars came forward to give her milk firstly to this boy. Observing their eagerness to feed him, Skanda / Kaartikeya made his one face into six and sucked all the milk of all the six stars and become an adolescent boy in day. Hence he looked like the one with six faces, by which he is called Shan mukha , six-faced deity. Later he argues with his father Shiva that he is superior to Shiva, because he has five-faces of Shiva, plus his own, totalling to a six, and he is a six-faced deity, superior to the five-faced god, namely Shiva. In another way, the boy by birth is dextrous and he sucked the milk of all the six mothers in split second with one face, but it appeared to all deities that the boy has been sucking milk with six faces, i.e., with rapid-face-movement. Thus on establishing his ambidextrous personality, the gods nominate him as the Chief of Celestial Army.
gR^ihiitvaa kShiiram eka ahnaa sukumaara vapuH tadaa |
ajayat svena viiryeNa daitya sainya gaNaan vibhuH || 1-37-29
29. vibhuH = capable one - taskmaster, that boy; eka ahnaa = just in one, day; kSiiram gR^ihiitvaa = milk, on taking; tadaa = then; sukumaara vapuH = delicate, by body; even if; svena viiryeNa = by his own, vigour; daitya sainya gaNaan = demons, army, troops; ajayat = triumphed over.
"On sipping the milk just for one day he became an adolescent boy on that day itself, and even though he is of delicate constitution as a boy, that taskmaster triumphed over the army troops of demons by his own vigour. [1-37-29]
sura senaa gaNa patim abhyaShiMcat mahaadyutim |
tataH tam amaraaH sarve sametya agni purogamaaH || 1-37-30
30. agni purogamaaH = Fire god, keeping afore as leader; amaraaH sarve = celestials, all of them; tataH = then; sametya = coming together; mahaadyutim = highly resplendent boy is; sura senaa gaNa patim = god's, army, troops, as chief; abhyaSincat = anointed him.
"All of the celestial have then come together under the leadership of Fire-god and they anointed that highly resplendent boy, Skanda, or Kaarthikeya, as the Chief of Celestial Army troops. [1-37-30]
eSha te raama gaMgaayaa vistaro abhihito mayaa |
kumaara saMbhavaH caiva dhanyaH puNyaH tathaiva ca || 1-37-31
31. raama = oh, Rama; maya te gangaayaaH = by me, to you, of Ganga; eSa vistaraH = this way, vividly - told; tathaa eva = like that; dhanyaH puNyaH ca = Divine, Meritorious, also; kumaara sambhavaH caiva = Kumara's, emergence, also thus; abhihitaH = made known.
"This way, I have vividly narrated the legend of Ganga to you, oh, Rama, like that the Divine and Meritorious legend of the emergence of Kumara, namely Skanda is also narrated. [1-37-31]
bhaktaH ca yaH kaartikeye kaakutstha bhuvi maanavaH |
aayuShmaan putra pautraH ca skanda saalokyataam vrajate || 1-37-32
32. kaakutstha = Oh, Kakutstha Rama; bhuvi yaH maanavaH = on earth, which, person; kaartikeye bhaktaH ca = of Kaartikeya, devotee, if he were to be; he; aayuSmaan = with longevity; putra pautraH ca = with sons, grandsons, also; on living; skanda saalokyataam vrajate = of Skanda, in his abode [identical,] he goes, attains.
"He who is a devotee of Kartikeyaa, oh, Rama of Kakutstha, he thrives with longevity, also with sons, grandsons on this humanly earth in his mortal life, and on its conclusion he becomes one with Skanda on journeying to Skanda's abode. [1-37-32]
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye baala kaaNDe sapta triMshaH sargaH
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : Sept 04]