Vishvamitra narrates about the birth of Gaadhi, his own father and the son of Kushanaabha. Incidentally he narrates about the emergence and prominence of River Kaushiki, who is Vishwamitra's elder sister turned out as a sacred River.
कृत उद्वाहे गते तस्मिन् ब्रह्मदत्ते च राघव |
अपुत्रः पुत्र लाभाय पौत्रीम् इष्टिम् अकल्पयत् || १-३४-१
1. raaghava = oh, Raghava; tasmin brahmadatte = of that, Brahmadatta's; kR^ita udvaahe gate = on making, marriage [on marrying,] when gone away; a putraH = not, with son - sonless; that king Kushanaabha; putra laabhaaya = son, for achieving; pautriim iSTim akalpayat = for son's, ritual, embarked on.
When Brahmadatta has married and left, oh, Raghava, king Kushanaabha he embarked on Vedic-ritual called putra kaameSTHi in order to beget a son because is sonless. [1-34-1]
इष्ट्याम् तु वर्तमानायाम् कुशनाभम् महीपतिम् |
उवाच परमोदारः कुशो ब्रह्मसुतः तदा || १-३४-२
2. tadaa = then; iSTyaam tu vartamaanaayaam = ritual, but, while being conducted - during its performance; parama udaaraH = supremely, generous one; brahma sutaH kushaH = Brahma's, brainchild, namely - Kusha; kushanaabham mahiipatim uvaaca = to Kushanaabha, king, spoke.
During the performance of the ritual, supremely generous Kusha, the brainchild of Brahma and the father of Kushanaabha, spoke to the king Kushanaabha. [1-34-2]
पुत्रः ते सदृशः पुत्र भविष्यति सुधार्मिकः |
गाधिम् प्राप्स्यसि तेन त्वम् कीर्तिम् लोके च शाश्वतीम् || १-३४-३
3. putraH = oh, son; te sadR^ishaH su dhaarmikaH putra = to you, selfsame, highly, virtuous, son; bhaviSyati = will be there; gaadhim praapsyasi = Gadhi, you will get; tena tvam loke shaashvatiim kiirtim ca = by him, you, in world, everlasting, renown; [praapyasi = you will get.]
" 'Oh, son, there will be a highly virtuous and selfsame son of yours, known as Gaadhi, and through him you also will get everlasting renown in the world.' " Thus Kusha said to Kushanaabha. [1-34-3]
एवम् उक्त्वा कुशो राम कुशनाभम् महीपतिम् |
जगाम आकाशम् आविश्य ब्रह्म लोकम् सनातनम् || १-३४-४
4. raama = oh, Rama; kusha = Kusha; mahiipatim kushanaabham = to king, Kushanaabha; evam uktvaa = so, saying; aakaasham aavishya = sky, on entering; sanaatanam brahma lokam jagaama = to time-honoured, Brahma's, abode, journeyed to.
"Saying so, oh, Rama, Kushanaabha's father Kusa entered the sky and journeyed to the time-honoured abode of Brahma. [1-34-4]
कस्यचित् तु अथ कालस्य कुशनाभस्य धीमतः |
जज्ञे परम धर्मिष्ठो गाधिः इति एव नामतः || १-३४-५
5. atha kasyacit kaalasya tu = then, after some, of time, but; dhiimataH kushanaabhasya = to highly intellectual, Kushanaabha; parama dharmiSThaH = supremely, righteous one; and; naamataH gaadhiH iti eva = by name, Gaadhi, thus, [known] as; jaj~ne = took birth.
"Then after some time that highly intellectual Kushanaabha begot a supremely righteous son known by the name Gaadhi. [1-34-5]
स पिता मम काकुत्स्थ गाधिः परम धार्मिकः |
कुश वंश प्रसूतो अस्मि कौशिको रघुनंदन || १-३४-६
6. kaakutstha = oh, Kakutstha; parama dhaarmikaH gaadhiH = eminently righteous one, Gaadhi; saH mama pitaa = he is, my, father; raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's legatee; kusha vamsha prasuutaH = [because] in Kusa's, dynasty, born in; kaushikaH = Kaushika [by the name of]; asmi = I am - I got the name.
"Oh, Rama of Kakutstha dynasty, that eminently righteous Gaadhi is my father, and since I am born in Kusha dynasty, oh, Raghu's legatee, I got the name Kaushika." Sage Vishvamitra thus narrating to Rama. [1-34-6]
पूर्वजा भगिनी च अपि मम राघव सुव्रता |
नाम्ना सत्यवती नाम ऋचीके प्रतिपादिता || १-३४-७
7. raaghava = oh, Raghava; su vrataa = one with benevolent, vows; naamnaa satyavatii naama = by name, Satyavati, renowned as; mama puurva jaa bhaginii ca api = to me, earlier, born, sister, also, even - she is there; R^iciike pratipaaditaa = to sage Ruchika, proposed to [given in marriage.]
"Even my elder sister who undertook benevolent vows and who is renowned by her name Satyavathi is there, oh, Raghava, and she is given in marriage to sage Ruchika. [1-34-7]
सशरीरा गता स्वर्गम् भर्तारम् अनुवर्तिनी |
कौशिकी परमोदारा सा प्रवृत्ता महानदी || १-३४-८
8. saa = she; bhartaaram anuvartinii = husband, while following; sa shariiraa svargam gataa = with body, to heaven, went to; parama udaaraa = very, generous one; kaushikii = [renowned as] Kaushiki; saa mahaa nadii pravR^ittaa = she, as great, river, coursed as.
"She journeyed to heaven with her body while she followed her departed husband and being a very generous lady she coursed as a great river renowned as River Kaushiki. [1-34-8]
Now called Kos'i (Cosy) corrupted from Kaus'ika, daughter of Kusha. 'This is one of those personifications of rivers so frequent in the Grecian mythology, but in the similar myths is seen the impress of the genius of each people, austere and profoundly religious in India, graceful and devoted to the worship of external beauty in Greece.' Gorresio.
दिव्या पुण्य उदका रंया हिमवंतम् उपाश्रिता |
लोकस्य हितकार्य अर्थम् प्रवृत्ता भगिनी मम || १-३४-९
9. lokasya hita kaarya artham = world's, welfare, to do [yield benefit,] desiring for; pra vR^ittaa = well, emerged; divyaa puNya udakaa ramya = divinely, pious, water, delightful; mama bhaginii = my, sister - Kaushiki river; himavantam upa aashritaa = Himavanta, [Himalayan mountains,] takes shelter [while flowing.]
"Desiring to yield benefit for the welfare of world, my sister has emerged with her divinely pious and delightful waters, taking recourse to Himalayan Mountains. [1-34-9]
If the first compound is lokasya hita kaama artham then 'to accord both mortal and immortal happiness; paara laukika, aihika saukhyam . My sister's holy waves are hurled / To purify and glad the world. - Griffith.
ततो अहम् हिमवत् पार्श्वे वसामि नियतः सुखम् |
भगिन्याम् स्नेह संयुक्तः कौशिक्या रघुनंदन || १-३४-१०
10. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's, legatee; tataH = thereby; bhaginyaam kaushikyaam [paarshve] = of sister, Kaushiki, [adjacent to]; sneha samyuktaH = affection, along with; aham = I am; niyataH = abidingly; himavat paarshve = Himalayas, on mountainsides; sukham vasaami = delightedly, I am residing.
"Thereby, oh, Rama, I am delightfully and abidingly residing on the mountainsides of Himalayas, in adjacency of my sister Kausiki in all my affection for her. [1-34-10]
सा तु सत्यवती पुण्या सत्ये धर्मे प्रतिष्ठिता |
पतिव्रता महाभागा कौशिकी सरिताम् वरा || १-३४-११
11. saa satyavatii tu = she, Satyavathi, for her part; puNyaa = a pious one; satye dharme pratiSThitaa = truthfulness, righteousness, steadfast; pati vrataa mahaa bhaagaa = husband devote, highly, fortunate one; saritaam varaa kaushikii = among rivers, best of the, as River Kaushiki - she emerged.
"She that Satyavathi for her part is a pious one, steadfast in truthfulness and righteousness, a husband devout, and such a highly fortunate one has emerged as a best river among rivers, namely River Kaushiki. [1-34-11]
अहम् हि नियमात् राम हित्वा ताम् समुपागतः |
सिद्ध आश्रमम् अनुप्राप्तः सिद्धो अस्मि तव तेजसा || १-३४-१२
12. raama = oh, Rama; aham niyamaat = I, owing to [my] vow; taam hitvaa = her, on leaving; sam upaa gataH = well, nearby [of Accomplished Hermitage,] came in; siddha aashramam anupraaptaH = to Accomplished, hermitage, I have come; tava tejasaa = by your, magnificence; siddhaH asmi = accomplished, I have.
"Owing to my vow, oh, Rama, I left her for a while and came to the Accomplished Hermitage and owing to your magnificence I have become accomplished in that vow of mine. [1-34-12]
एषा राम मम उत्पत्तिः स्वस्य वंशस्य कीर्तिता |
देशस्य च महाबाहो यन् माम् त्वम् परिपृच्छसि || १-३४-१३
13. mahaabaahuH raama = oh, dextrous Rama; eSaa mama = this, is my; svasya vamshasya deshasya ca = of my, dynasty, [my] province, also - on which we are presently camping namely the riverbanks of Sona; utpattiH kiirtitaa = [my] birth, is narrated; yat tvam maam paripR^icChasi = which, you, me, have asked.
"Oh, dextrous Rama, this is all about my dynasty, my province on which we are presently camping namely the riverbanks of Sona, and about my birth, and thus everything is narrated as you have asked me. [1-34-13]
गतो अर्ध रात्रः काकुत्स्थ कथाः कथयतो मम |
निद्राम् अभ्येहि भद्रम् ते मा भूत् विघ्नो अध्वनि इह नः || १-३४-१४
14. kaakutstha = oh, Rama; mama kathaaH kathayataH = by me, narration, while narrating; ardha raatraH = mid, night; gataH = is past; nidraam abhyehi = [some] sleep, you get; te bhadram = good may betide you; iha naH adhvani = here - halfway, to us, on the way; vighnaH maa abhuut = hindrance, let not, occur.
"By telling these legends it is past midnight, oh, Kakutstha, you get some sleep. Safe you be! Let no hindrance occur for us halfway on our pathway. [1-34-14]
निष्पन्दाः तरवः सर्वे निलीना मृग पक्षिणः |
नैशेन तमसा व्याप्ता दिशः च रघुनंदन || १-३४-१५
15. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's delight; taravaH niH spandaaH = trees, not, moving [standstill]; mR^iga pakSiNaH sarve ni liinaa = animals, birds, all, down, sunk - slouched; dishaH ca = confines, also; naishena tamasaa vyaaptaa = pertaining to night, darkness, are pervaded with.
"Oh, Raghu's delight, trees are standstill... animals and birds have slouched... nightly sombre has pervaded all the confines. [1-34-15]
शनैः विसृज्यते संध्या नभो नेत्रैः इव आवृतम् |
नक्षत्र तारा गहनम् ज्योतिर्भिः अवभासते || १-३४-१६
16. sandhyaa shanaiH visR^ijyate = eventide, slowly, lapsed; nakSatra taaraa gahanam = stars, starlets, filled with; nabhaH = vault of heaven; jyotibhiH = with stars; netraiH aavR^itam iva = with orbs [of heaven,] overspread, as though; ava bhaasate= splendorous / it is appearing.
"Eventide lapsed slowly and the vault of heaven filled with stars and starlets is splendorous as though orbs of heaven are overspread on its vault. [1-34-16]
उत्तिष्ठते च शीतांशुः शशी लोक तमो नुदः |
ह्लादयन् प्राणिनाम् लोके मनांसि प्रभया स्वया || १-३४-१७
17. shiita amshuH shashii = who has coolant, moonbeams, the moon; loka tamaH nudaH = of world, darkness, while dissipating; svayaa prabhayaa = with his own, with brilliance; loke praaNinaam manaamsi = in world, living beings', hearts; hlaadayan = gladdening; uttiSThate ca = is rising, also.
"Also, dissipating the darkness of the world with his brilliance, the moon with coolant moonbeams is rising up, gladdening the hearts of worldly beings. [1-34-17]
नैशानि सर्व भूतानि प्रचरंति ततः ततः |
यक्ष राक्षस संघाः च रौद्राः च पिशित अशनाः || १-३४-१८
18. naishaani = those beings that move in night - nightly beings; sarva bhuutaani = all, beings of; yakSas raakSasa sanghaaH ca = yaksha-s, demon, bands, even; raudraaH pishita ashanaaH ca = ferocious, raw flesh, eaters [ogres,] even; tataH tataH = there, there; pra caranti = are [now] milling about - astir.
"Now, the bands of yaksha-s, demons, even the ferocious ogres that feed on raw flesh, why them, all the beings that take pleasure in nights are astir, far and wide." So said Vishvamitra to Rama. [1-34-18]
एवम् उक्त्वा महातेजा विरराम महामुनिः |
साधु साधु इति ते सर्वे मुनयो हि अभ्यपूजयन् || १-३४-१९
19. mahaa tejaa mahaa muniH = great-resplendent, eminent, saint; evam uktvaa = this way, on saying; vi ra raama = verily, paused; sarve munayaH = all, saints; saadhu saadhu iti = well-said, well-said thus as; tam abhyapuujayan [abhi apuujayan] = him, verily, revered.
Saying so that greatly resplendent and eminent saint Vishvamitra paused, and then all the other sages have revered him saying, "well-said, well-said." [1-34-19]
कुशिकनाम् अयम् वंशो महान् धर्मपरः सदा |
ब्रह्म उपमा महात्मनः कुशवंश्या नरोत्तम || १-३४-२०
20. kushikanaam = pertaining to Kusha's progeny; ayam vamshaH mahaan = this, dynasty is, sublime; sadaa dharma paraH = always, to righteousness, dedicated to; kusha vamshyaaH = those belonging to Kusha's lineage; nara uttamaH = men - mankind, the best ones among; mahaa aatmanaH = highly reverential ones; brahma upamaa = Brahma, in simile to - symbolise with.
"Sublime is this lineage of Kusha dynasty which always dedicated itself to righteousness, and the dynasts of Kusha are the best ones among mankind, and they symbolise with god Brahma himself, thus they are highly reverential." Thus the other sages have applauded Vishvamitra and his dynasty. [1-34-20]
विशेषेण भवान् एव विश्वामित्र महायशः |
कौशिकी सरिताम् श्रेष्ठः कुल उद्योतकरी तव || १-३४-२१
21. mahaayashaH vishvaamitra = oh, highly renowned, Vishvamitra; bhavaan eva = you, alone; visheSeNa = especially - are exemplary, selfsame to Brahma; saritaam shreSThaH = among rivers, prominent one; kaushikii = River Kaushiki [sister of Vishvamitra]; tava kula udyotakarii = your, ancestry, she is glorifying.
"You alone are exemplarily selfsame to Brahma, oh, Vishvamitra of great-renown, and among rivers that prominent River Kaushiki is your sister, thus she is glorifying your ancestry." Thus the sages lauded Vishvamitra. [1-34-21]
मुदितैः मुनि शार्दूलैः प्रशस्तः कुशिक आत्मजः |
निद्राम् उपागमत् श्रीमान् अस्तम् गत इव अंशुमान् || १-३४-२२
22. [iti = in this way]; muni shaarduulaiH prashastaH = by sages, tigerly ones, one who is lauded - Vishvamitra; shriimaan kushika aatmajaH = magnificent one, Kushi's, son - Vishvamitra; muditaiH = is pleased; astam gata = to dusk, one has gone in; amshumaan iva = one having sunrays [sun,] as with; nidraam upa aagamat = sleep, nearer, came nearby - slept; or, shriimaan astam iva aMshumaan = like the resplendent sun going to western mountain to take rest for that day, Vishvamitra drifted into sleep.
Sage Vishvamitra is pleased when those tigerly sages have laude him, and then that magnificent sage Vishvamitra lapsed into the lap of sleep, as the sun lapses into lap of dusk for that day. [1-34-22]
रामो अपि सह सौमित्रिः किंचित् आगत विस्मयः |
प्रशस्य मुनि शार्दूलम् निद्राम् समुपसेवते || १-३४-२३
23. saha saumitriH raamaH api = with, Soumitri, Rama, even; kimcit aagata vismayaH = a little, came upon, astonishment; muni shaarduulam prashasya = sage, tigerly, on applauding; nidraam sam upa sevate = sleep, well, nearly, held dear [Rama served the Goddess of Sleep, Nidra Devi; glided into Her lap of Sleep.]
Even Rama with a little astonishment coming upon him, applauding that tigerly-sage, and glided into the lap of sleep along with Soumitri. [1-34-23]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये बाल काण्डे चतुर् त्रिंशः सर्गः
© 2002, Desiraju Kumari [Revised : July 04]
verse and locator
Secure FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE