Daughters of Kushanaabha report about the Air-god's mischief. Pleased at their behaviour Kushanaabha thinks and arranges for their marriage with Brahmadatta, a saintly king. After the marriage, by the touch of hand of Brahmadatta the girls are rid of their misshapen bodies and they again become great beauties.
तस्य तद् वचनम् श्रुत्वा कुशनाभस्य धीमतः |
शिरोभिः चरणौ स्पृष्ट्वा कन्या शतम् अभाषत || १-३३-१
1. dhiimataH = scholarly one; tasya kushanaabhasya= his, of Kushanaabha; tat vacanam shrutvaa = that, sentence, on hearing; kanyaa shatam = girls, hundred; shirobhiH caraNau spR^iSTvaa = with forehead, [father's] feet, on touching; abhaaSata= spoke.
On hearing that sentence of scholarly Kushanaabha those hundred girls touched his feet with their foreheads and spoke to him. [1-33-1]
वायुः सर्वात्मको राजन् प्रधर्षयितुम् इच्छति |
अशुभम् मार्गम् आस्थाय न धर्मम् प्रत्यवेक्षते || १-३३-२
2. raajan = oh, king; sarva aatmakaH vaayuH = all-pervasive, Air-god; a shubham maargam aasthaaya = not, auspicious, path - improper approach, resorting to; pra dharSayitum icChati = to highly, maltreat [dishonour us,] he desired to; dharmam na prati avekSate = virtuous conduct of girls, not, towards, seeing - overlooking.
" 'The all-pervasive Air-god desired to dishonour us, oh, king, resorting to improper approach and overlooking virtuous conduct. [1-33-2]
पितृमत्यः स्म भद्रम् ते स्वच्छन्दे न वयम् स्थिताः |
पितरम् नो वृणीष्व त्वम् यदि नो दास्यते तव || १-३३-३
3. vayam pitR^imatyaH sma = we, those that have a father [father dependent,] we are there; te bhadram = you be safe; sva cChande na sthitaaH = our, own way, not [not independent,] we are; naH tava = us, to you; daasyate yadi = he gives, whether or not; tvam naH pitaram vR^iNiiSva = you, with our, father, may request.
" 'Our father is there and we are not independent, you be safe, hence oh, Air-god, you may request our father to know whether he gives us to you or not.' Thus we have told the Air-god, but... [1-33-3]
तेन पाप अनुबन्धेन वचनम् न प्रतीच्छता |
एवम् ब्रुवंत्यः सर्वाः स्म वायुना अभिहता भृषम् || १-३३-४
4. evam bruvantyaH sarvaaH = thus, speaking, all of us; paapa anubandhena = venality, bound by; vacanam = [our] sentence; na = not; prati iicChataa = in reply, bearing in mind - one who refused to take notice; tena vaayunaa = by him, by Air-god; bhR^iSam = much; abhi hataa = smacked down - we are harmed.
" 'Though we all have spoken to him thus, that Air-god who is bound by venality refused to take notice of our words and he has harmed us a lot.' Thus those girls informed their father. [1-33-4]
Since then, because the Wind-God bent / The damsels' forms for punishment, / That royal town is known to fame / By Kanyakubja's borrowed name. That is, the City of the Bent Virgins, the modern Kanauj or Canouge - Griffith.
तासाम् तु वचनम् श्रुत्वा राजा परम धार्मिकः |
प्रत्युवाच महातेजाः कन्या शतम् अनुत्तमम् || १-३३-५
5. parama dhaarmikaH = highly, virtuous one; mahaatejaaH = highly resplendent one; raajaa = king; taasaam tat vacanam shrutvaa = their, that, sentence, on listening; an uttamam kanyaa shatam uvaaca = to un, surpassing, to girls, hundred, said.
On listening their words that highly virtuous and highly resplendent king spoke to the hundred girls with unsurpassed virtue. [1-33-5]
क्षान्तम् क्षमावताम् पुत्र्यः कर्तव्यम् सुमहत् कृतम् |
ऐकमत्यम् उपागंय कुलम् च आवेक्षितम् मम || १-३३-६
6. putryaH = oh, daughters; kSamaavataam kartavyam kSaantam = those that have self-control - imperturbability, their duty, is forgiving; kR^itam = that is done - you have done it; su mahat = [this is] very, excellent [deed you have done]; aikamatyam upaagamya = unity, coursing through; mama kulam ca = my, family [prestige,] also; aavekSitam = looked after [kept up.]
" 'Forgiving is the duty of imperturbable and you have done it. Excellent. Oh, daughters, coursing through your unity my family's prestige is also kept up. [1-33-6]
अलंकारो हि नारीणाम् क्षमा तु पुरुषस्य वा |
दुष्करम् तत् च वै क्षान्तम् त्रिदशेषु विशेषतः || १-३३-७
यादृशीः वः क्षमा पुत्र्यः सर्वासाम् अविशेषतः |
7, 8a. naariiNaam = to women; puruSasya vaa = to men, either; kSamaa alankaaraH hi = forgiveness, adornment, as a matter of fact; kSaantam iti yat = forgiving, that which is there; tat duS karam ca vai = that is, not, practicable, also, verily; tridasheSu visheSataH = among divinities, especially [impracticable]; vaH sarvaasaam = to you, you all; a visheSataH = not, differentiated - uniformly; yaadR^ishiiH = which kind of; kSamaa = forgiving [is there; that is further; duSkaram = impossible - laudable.]
" 'Forgiveness is an adornment to women, as a matter of fact, even for men, and this matter called 'forgiving' that which is there, it is an impracticable affair. That too, in respect of divinities. And the kind of forgiveness you all possess uniformly, that is further laudable. [1-33-7, 8a]
This also means: 'though you possess excellent aspects and persona alike celestials, viz., apsara-s, for you are the children of celestial / apsara Ghritachi... you have forgiven Air-god, without submitting yourselves to bodily pleasures of humans.'
क्षमा दानम् क्षमा सत्यम् क्षमा यज्ञः च पुत्रिकाः || १-३३-८
क्षमा यशः क्षमा धर्मः क्षमायाम् विष्ठितम् जगत् |
8b, 9a. kSamaa daanam = grace [forgiveness] is, altruism; kSamaa yaj~naH = grace is, ritualism; putrikaaH = oh, daughters; kSamaa yashaH = grace is, glory; kSamaa dharmaH = grace is, virtue; kSamaa satyam [hi] = grace is, truth, [isn't it]; kSamaayaam jagat vi SThitam = in graciousness, universe is, verily, abiding.
" 'Grace is altruism, grace is ritualism, oh, my daughters, grace is glory, grace is virtue, and this universe is verily abiding in graciousness alone for grace itself is the truth, isn't it!' Thus king Kushanaabha said to his daughters and sent them away. [1-33-8b, 9a]
विसृज्य कन्याः काकुत्स्थ राजा त्रिदश विक्रमः || १-३३-९
मंत्रज्ञो मंत्रयामास प्रदानम् सह मंत्रिभिः |
देशे काले च कर्तव्यम् सदृशे प्रतिपादनम् || १-३३-१०
9b, 10. kaakutstha = oh, Rama; tridasha vikramaH = matching god, whose valour is; mantra j~naH = in thinking, expert; raajaa = king Kushanaabha; kanyaaH visR^ijya = girls, leaving them; mantribhiH saha = ministers, along with; pradaanam = about endowing [giving daughters in marriage]; mantrayaamaasa = started to contemplate; pradaanasya = of that bride giving]; deshe kaale = in which country, at which time; sadR^ishe = matching one [bridegroom]; pratipaadanam kartavyam ca = [marriage] proposals, is to be done - on such topics he discussed with ministers.
"On leaving those girls, oh, Rama, that king whose valour matches that of gods and who is an expert in thinking strategies started to think with his ministers on the topics like, as to how his daughters are to be espoused to, to which country they are to be sent, at which time marriage shall happen, and to which matching bridegroom the marriage is to be proposed, and so on." Thus Vishvamitra continued his narration. [1-33-9b, 10]
एतस्मिन् एव काले तु चूली नाम महाद्युतिः |
ऊर्ध्व रेताः शुभाचारो ब्राह्मम् तप उपागमत् || १-३३-११
11. etasmin kaale eva tu = during, time, alone, but; mahaa dhyutiH = great-resplendent one; uurdhva retaaH = with upward, semen - meaning whose semen is not lost; shubha aacaaraH = with propitious, demeanour; cuulii naama = Cuulii, named; braahmam tapa = Vedic, asceticism - one who has ascesis strict to Vedic canons; upaagamat = achieved such ascesis.
During that time a great-resplendent sage named Cuulii is there, who is propitious in his demeanour and who holds his semen upward, and who has achieved high ascetic practise strictly according to Vedic canons. [1-33-11]
The uurthva retaH is that the yogi-s of a very high practice of pure yoga called haTha yoga, will hold their semen un-ejaculated by use or misuse, and they make it course towards their heads through the six-plexuses of human body. This type of practice is to enrich their mental and physical glow and they will have a divine aura around them.
तपस्यंतम् ऋषिम् तत्र गंधर्वी पर्युपासते |
सोमदा नाम भद्रम् ते ऊर्मिला तनया तदा || १-३३-१२
12. tadaa = then; tatra tapasyantam R^iSim = at the place of ascesis, while practising, sage is; uurmilaa tanayaa = Urmila's, daughter; somadaa naama gandharvii = Somada, named, a gandharva / celestial female; pari upaasate = in overall manner, serving him; te bhadram = to you, safety; Rama.
"While that sage is in the practise of asceticism a celestial female served him at the place of his ascesis, safety be with you oh, Rama, she is Somada by her name, the daughter of Urmila. [1-33-12]
सा च तम् प्रणता भूत्वा शुश्रूषण परायणा |
उवास काले धर्मिष्ठा तस्याः तुष्टो अभवत् गुरुः || १-३३-१३
13. saa ca = she, even; tam = in his respect; praNataa bhuutvaa = bowing down - obediently, on becoming; shushruuSaNa paraayaNaa = ministering to, dedicate one; dharmiSThaa = righteously; uvaasa = stayed there; kaale = after some time; guruH = mentor [the sage]; tasyaaH tuSTaH abhavat = of her [service,] satisfied, he became.
"Even she is obedient in his respect, and dedicating herself in ministering to him she stayed there righteously. After some time that sage Cuulii has become satisfied with her service. [1-33-13]
स च ताम् काल योगेन प्रोवाच रघु नंदन |
परितुष्टो अस्मि भद्रम् ते किम् करोमि तव प्रियम् || १-३३-१४
14. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's, delight - Rama; saH ca = he that sage, also; kaala yogena = time, by chance of - when her service is fructified; taam pra uvaaca = to her, well [benevolently,] said; parituSToaH asmi = perfectly pleased, I am; te bhadram = to you, safety; tava kim priyam karomi = your, what, cherish, I can do - I have to fulfil.
"When her service is fructified, oh, Rama, that sage benevolently spoke to her saying, 'I am perfectly pleased with your service, let good betide you, what cherish of yours I have to fulfil.' [1-33-14]
परितुष्टम् मुनिम् ज्ञात्वा गन्धर्वी मधुर स्वरम् |
उवाच परम प्रीता वाक्यज्ञा वाक्य कोविदम् || १-३३-१५
15. munim parituSTam j~naatvaa = sage, contented, on perceiving; madhura svaram = in melodious, voice; vaakya j~naa = sentence making, she who is aware of; gandharvii = gandharva female; parama priitaa = highly, delighted; vaakya kovidam = sentence making, to expert - pedantic sage; uvaaca = spoke.
"Perceiving that the sage is contented that female celestial Soamda who is aware of making good sentences is highly delighted and spoke with her melodious voice to that pedantic sage. [1-33-15]
लक्ष्ंया समुदितो ब्राह्ंया ब्रह्म भूतो महातपाः |
ब्राह्मेण तपसा युक्तम् पुत्रम् इच्छामि धार्मिकम् || १-३३-१६
16. mahaa tapaaH = oh, one with supreme, ascesis; braahmyaa lakSmyaa sam uditaH = pertaining to Brahma [Vedic practises,] splendour, is on the rise - flourishing; brahma bhuutaH = on with Brahma, you became; braahmeNa tapasaa yuktam = with Brahma's [spirituality of Veda-s,] ascetic [spirituality,] along with - embodied with; dhaarmikam putram icChaami = righteous, son, I wish to have - I may be endowed with.
" 'Vedic splendour is flourishing in you when you have become one with Brahma, oh, supreme ascetic, I may please be endowed with a righteous son whose ascetic spirituality may embody the spirituality enunciated in Veda-s. [1-33-16]
अपतिः च अस्मि भद्रम् ते भार्या च अस्मि न कस्यचित् |
ब्राह्मेण उपगतायाः च दातुम् अर्हसि मे सुतम् || १-३३-१७
17. a patiH ca asmi = without, husband [unmarried,] also, I am; bhadram te = safe, you be; kasyacit bhaaryaa na asmi = to anyone, wife, not, I am; upa gataayaaH = nearby, arrived - took shelter under you; me = to me; braahmeNa = by your ascetic faculty; sutam daatum arhasi = a son, to endow, apt of you.
" 'I am unmarried and nobody's wife, safe you be, and as I took shelter under your kindness it will be apt of you to endow me a son with your faculty of asceticism.' So said Somada to sage Cuulii. [1-33-17]
तस्याः प्रसन्नो ब्रह्मर्षिर् ददौ ब्राह्मम् अनुत्तमम् |
ब्रह्मदत्त इति ख्यातम् मानसम् चूलिनः सुतम् || १-३३-१८
18. tasyaaH prasannaH brahmarSiH = of her, one who became benignant, Brahma-sage; cuulinaH = of sage Cuulina; maanasam sutam = by instinct, [born] son - brainchild; braahmam = Brahma-like; brahmadatta iti khyaatam = Brahmadatta, thus, renowned; an uttamam = un, surpassed - unique one; dadau = bestowed.
"That Brahma-sage Cuulina benignantly bestowed her with a unique and Brahma-like son who is renowned as Brahmadatta, as well as his own brainchild. [1-33-18]
The word 'cuulinaH' also read as Cuulina, another name for this sage Cuuli.
स राजा ब्रह्मदत्तः तु पुरीम् अध्यवसत् तदा |
कांपिल्याम् परया लक्ष्ंया देवराजो यथा दिवम् || १-३३-१९
19. brahmadattaH saH raajaa tu = Brahmadatta, he that, king, for his part; tadaa = then; deva nraajaH divam yathaa = god's, king, Indra, heaven, as with; kaampilyaam = Kampilya named; puriim = city; parayaa lakSmyaa adhyavasat = endued with superb, grandeur, presided - ruled.
"King Brahmadatta endued with superb grandeur ruled from a city called Kaampilya as with Indra ruling the heaven. [1-33-19]
स बुद्धिम् कृतवान् राजा कुशनाभः सुधार्मिकः |
ब्रह्मदत्ताय काकुत्स्थ दातुम् कन्या शतम् तदा || १-३३-२०
20. kaakutstha = oh, Rama of Kakutstha; tadaa = then; su dhaarmikaH raajaa = most, righteous, king; saH kushanaabhaH = he that, Kushanaabha; kanyaa shatam = daughters, hundred; brahmadattaaya daatum = to Brahmadatta, to give - to espouse; buddhim kR^itavaan = mind, made up.
"The most righteous king Kushanaabha then made up his mind, oh, Rama of Kakutstha, to espouse his hundred daughters to Brahmadatta. [1-33-20]
तम् आहूय महातेजा ब्रह्मदत्तम् महीपतिः |
ददौ कन्या शतम् राजा सुप्रीतेन अंतरात्मना || १-३३-२१
21. mahaatejaa mahiipatiH raajaa = great-resplendent, lord of land, king - Kushanaabha; tam brahmadattam aahuuya = him that, Brahmadatta, on calling - inviting; su priitena antar aatmanaa = with highly, pleased, heart of hearts; kanyaa shatam dadau = daughters, hundred, gave - married.
"Inviting Brahmadatta that great-resplendent lord of the land, namely the king Kushanaabha, married his hundred daughters to him, pleasing highly in his heart of hearts. [1-33-21]
यथा क्रमम् ततः पाणिम् जग्राह रघुनंदन |
ब्रह्मदत्तो महीपालः तासाम् देवपतिर् यथा || १-३३-२२
22. raghu nandana = oh, Rama of Raghu's dynasty; deva patiH yathaa = gods, lord - Indra, who vies with; brahmadattaH mahiipaalaH = Brahmadatta, the king; tataH yathaa kramam = then, in succession; taasaam paaNim jagraaha = their, palm, caught - received each of their palm into his hand, as per the custom of marriage.
"As with the tradition of marriage king Brahmadatta who vies with lord of gods, namely Indra, in succession took the palm of each of the hundred girls into his palm. [1-33-22]
स्पृष्ट मात्रे ततः पाणौ विकुब्जा विगत ज्वराः |
युक्ताः परमया लक्ष्ंया बभौ कन्या शतम् तदा || १-३३-२३
23. tataH = then; paaNau spR^iSTa maatre = palm, on touching, just by; tadaa = as a result of; kanyaa shatam = maidens, hundred; vi kubjaa = without, hunchback - without misshape; on becoming; vi gata = verily, gone - evanished; jvaraaH = fervidity - desperation; paramayaa lakSmyaa yuktaaH = with utmost, elegance, along with [retouched with]; babhau = they are beaming bright.
"By mere touch of hand of Brahmadatta alone, their misshape and desperation are evanished, and all of those hundred maidens beamed bright as they are retouched with utmost elegance. [1-33-23]
स दृष्ट्वा वायुना मुक्ताः कुशनाभो महीपतिः |
बभूव परम प्रीतो हर्षम् लेभे पुनः पुनः || १-३३-२४
23. mahiipatiH = lord of land; saH kushanaabhaH = that, Kushanaabha; vaayunaa muktaaH = by [the effect of] Air-god, released; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; parama priitaH babhuuva = highly, joyful, he became; punaH punaH harSam lebhe = again, again, delight, he took - in seeing his daughters restored to originality.
"On seeing his daughters getting release from the effect of Air-god Kushanaabha became highly joyful, and he took great delight time and again as and when he looked at them. [1-33-24]
कृत उद्वाहम् तु राजानम् ब्रह्मदत्तम् महीपतिः |
सदारम् प्रेषयामास स उपाध्याय गणम् तदा || १-३३-२५
25. tadaa = later; mahiipatiH = king Kushanaabha; kR^ita udvaaham tu = one who has finished, marriage - when marriage is over; sa daaram = with, wives; sa upaadhyaaya gaNam = with, religious teachers, assemblages of; raajaanam brahmadattam = of king, Brahmadatta; preSayaamaasa = started to send [off.]
"Later when the marriage is complete king Kushanaabha bade farewell to king Brahmadatta along with his wives, his own hundred daughters, and along with the groups of religious teachers. [1-33-25]
सोमदा अपि सुतम् दृष्ट्वा पुत्रस्य सदृशीम् क्रियाम् |
यथा न्यायम् च गन्धर्वी स्नुषाः ताः प्रत्यनंदत |
स्पृष्ट्वा स्पृष्ट्वा च ताः कन्याः कुशनाभम् प्रशस्य च || १-३३-२६
26. gandharvii somadaa api = gandharva female, Somada, even; sutam dR^iSTvaa = son, on seeing; [prati anandata = gladdened towards him]; taaH kanyaaH = those, girls; spR^iSTvaa spR^iSTvaa = on touching, touching - caressing repeatedly; [prati anandata = gladdened towards them]; kushanaabham prashasya ca = Kushanaabha, praised, also; putrasya sadR^ishiim kriyaam = for a son, worthwhile, deed; in getting such daughter-in-laws; yathaa nyaayam ca = as per, tradition, also; taaH snuSaaH prati anandata = those, daughter-in-laws, towards, gladdened - or - blessed them.
"Somada, the celestial female and the mother of Brahmadatta, is gladdened to see her son Brahmadatta, for the worthwhile deed done by him in removing the blemish caused by the Air-god to the girls, or in bringing those worthwhile girls as her daughter-in-laws. She is further gladdened while her feet are traditionally and repeatedly touched by a hundred daughter-in-laws in succession, coupled with her own raising of each of the daughter-in-law to embrace for a hundred times. Thus Somada has gone on caressing each of her hundred daughter-in-laws, and in doing so she is gladdened to do so over and over again, she is gladdened. She thus praised Kushanaabha for giving his gemlike daughters as her daughter-in-laws and blessed the daughter-in-laws. [1-33-26]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये बाल काण्डे त्रयः त्रिंशः सर्गः
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : July 04]
What the world says about
This page uploaded by FREE Go FTP Program