Sage Vishvamitra starts to narrate Kusha's legend. Vishvamitra is the offspring of Kusha's dynasty. Brahma gives boon to Kusha to beget four sons and one among them is Kushanaabha. Kushanaba begets a hundred daughters of excellent beauty. When Vayu, Air-god cherishes them all, those girls refuse him, as they prefer an arranged marriage by their father. Then Air-god in his indignation disfigures them all.
ब्रह्म योनिर् महान् आसीत् कुशो नाम महातपाः |
अक्लिष्ट व्रत धर्मज्ञः सज्जन प्रति पूजकः || १-३२-१
1. brahma yoniH = Brahma, as causation - Brahma's, brainchild; mahaa tapaaH = on with higher order, ascesis; a kliSTa vrata dharma j~naH = one who has - without, hampered, vows, their virtue, knower - who has never flouted the rules of rituals and vows; sat jana = virtue, knowers; prati puujakaH = in turn, revered - one who reveres virtue knowers; mahaan = highly righteous - kingly sage; kushaH naama = Kusha, named; aasiit = [once upon a time] was there.
"Once there was a highly righteous kingly sage who is the brainchild of Brahma, whose ascesis is of higher order, who has never flouted the rules of rituals or his vows, and who revered the knowers of virtue by name Kusha." Thus Sage Vishvamitra commenced narration. [1-32-1]
स महात्मा कुलीनायाम् युक्तायाम् सुमहाबलान् |
वैदर्भ्याम् जनयाम् आस चतुरः सदृशान् सुतान् || १-३२-२
कुशाम्बम् कुशनाभम् च आसूर्तरजसम् वसुम् |
2, 3a. saH mahaa aatmaa = he, great, soul; kuliinaayaam = one with noble birth; yuktaayaam = an eligible one [as wife]; vaidarbhyaam = in the princess from Vidarbha; kushaambam kushanaabham aassuurtarajasam vasum = Kushamba, Kushanaabha, Asuurtaraja, Vasu; su mahaa balaan = very, great, mighty ones; sadR^ishaan = selfsame ones; caturaH sutaan janayaamaasa = four, sons, he begot.
"That great-souled Kusha begot four selfsame and mighty sons, namely Kusumba, Kushanaabha, Asuurtarajasa, or also called Adhuurtarajasa, and Vasu through the princess of Vidarbha, which princess is of noble birth and an eligible wife of Kusha. [1-32-2, 3a]
दीप्ति युक्तान् महोत्साहान् क्षत्रधर्म चिकीर्षया || १-३२-३
तान् उवाच कुशः पुत्रान् धर्मिष्ठान् सत्यवादिनः |
क्रियताम् पालनम् पुत्रा धर्म प्राप्यथ पुष्कलम् || १-३२-४
3b, 4. kushaH = Kusha; diipti yuktaan = brilliance, having; mahaa utsaahaan = highly, enthusiastic ones; dharmiSThaan = virtue abiding; satya vaadinaH = truth, advocators of; taan putraan = to those, sons; kSatra dharma cikiirSayaa = Kshatriya, principle, with an aspiration to uphold; uvaaca = spoke to them; putraa = oh, sons; paalanam kriyataam = ruling over [kingdom,] let it be done - establish your rulership; puSkalam dharmam praapyatha = in abundance, righteousness, you achieve.
"With an aspiration that his sons shall uphold the principles of Kshatriya-s, Kusha spoke to them who are brilliant, highly enthusiastic, virtue abiding, and the advocators of truth saying, 'establish your rulership, sons, and achieve righteousness abundantly.' [1-32-3b, 4a]
कुशस्य वचनम् श्रुत्वा चत्वारो लोक सत्तमाः |
निवेशम् चक्रिरे सर्वे पुराणाम् नृ वराः तदा || १-३२-५
5. tadaa = then; kushasya vacanam shrutvaa = Kusha's, words, on hearing; loka sattamaaH = in world, formidable ones; catvaaraH = four of them; nR^i varaaH = among people's, best ones; sarve = all of them; puraaNaam nivesham cakrire = of cities, initiation - building, the started to do.
"On hearing the words of Kusha those four sons that are the formidable ones in the world and the best men among people initiated to build four cities. [1-32-5]
कुशाम्बः तु महातेजाः कौशांबीम् अकरोत् पुरीम् |
कुशनाभः तु धर्मात्मा पुरम् चक्रे महोदयम् || १-३२-६
6. mahaatejaaH kushaambaH tu = great-resplendent one, Kushamba, for his part; kaushaambiim puriim akarot = Kaushaambi, city, built; dharmaatmaa kushanaabhaH tu = virtue-souled, Kushanaatha, for his part; mahodayam puram cakre = Mahodaya [named,] city, built.
"Great-resplendent Kushamba built the city named Kaushambii for his part, and for his part the virtue-souled Kushanaabha built a city named Mahodaya. [1-32-6]
असूर्तरजसो राम धर्मारण्यम् महामतिः |
चक्रे पुरवरम् राजा वसुर् नाम गिरिव्रजम् || १-३२-७
7. raama = oh, Rama; mahaamatiH asuurtarajasaH = noble-minded, Asuurtarajasa; dharmaaraNyam = DharmaaraNya - namely; pura varam = city, the best; cakre = built; raajaa vasuH = king, Vasu; girivrajam naama = Girivraja, in the name of- city he built.
"Oh, Rama, noble-minded Asuurtarajasa built a city named Dharmaaranya, and king Vasu built a city in the name of Girivraja. [1-32-7]
It is believed that the city Kaushambii is the present day Kannauj and Girivraja the present day Rajgir.
एषा वसुमती नाम वसोः तस्य महात्मनः |
एते शैलवराः पंच प्रकाशन्ते समंततः || १-३२-८
8. eSaa = this one; tasya mahaatmanaH vasoH = of that, virtue-souled one, Vasu's; vasumatii naama = land, known as; samantataH = all around; ete panca shaila varaaH = these, five mountains, best ones; prakaashante = shine forth - standing high.
"This land on which we are presently staying is known as the land of virtue-souled Vasu, all around which these five best mountains are standing high. [1-32-8]
सुमागधी नदी रंया मागधान् विश्रुता आययौ |
पंचानाम् शैल मुख्यानाम् मध्ये माला इव शोभते || १-३२-९
9. ramyaa = charming one; vishrutaa = well known; su = worthy of respect; maagadhii nadii = maagadhii - worthy River Sona which took birth in Magadha country; maagadhaan = into Magadha country; aa yayau = coming, going - on entering and exiting; pancaanaam shaila mukhyaanaam madhye = five of, mountains, important - elevated ones, amid; maalaa iva shobhate = garland, like, shines forth.
"This charming river that enters and exits Magadha province is well known as the worthy River Maagadhi, and flowing amid the five of these elevated mountains it shines forth like a garland enwreathing them. [1-32-9]
This river is said to be the present day River Son
सा एषा हि मागधी राम वसोः तस्य महात्मनः |
पूर्व अभिचरिता राम सुक्षेत्रा सस्य मालिनी || १-३२-१०
11. raama = oh, Rama; saa eSaa maagadhii = this, that, river Maagadhi; mahaa aatmanaH tasya vasoH = of the great-souled one, his, of Vasu [this is that river which pertains to the developmental works of king Vasu]; puurva abhi caritaa = to east, towards, while going - flowing; su kSetraa = she has best, farmlands; sasya maalinii = crops, garland of.
"This Maagadhi is that river which pertains to the developmental works of the great-souled king Vasu and oh, Rama, flowing towards east to its confluence in Ganga, this river garlands best farmlands and their crops on its way. [1-32-10]
The confluence of this river with Ganga is said as the one now available near at Patna, Bihar.
कुशनाभः तु राजर्षिः कन्या शतम् अनुत्तमम् |
जनयामास धर्मात्मा घृताच्याम् रघु नंदन || १-३२-११
11. raghu nandana = oh, Raghu's descendent; dharmaatmaa raajarSiH = virtue-souled one, kingly saint; kushanaabhaH tu = Kushanaabha, but; ghR^itaacyaam = through [celestial maiden] Ghritaachi; an uttamam = un, excelling; kanyaa shatam = maids, hundred; janayaamaasa = engendered.
"The virtue-souled kingly saint Kushanaabha gave birth to a hundred daughters with unexcelled beauty through a celestial female called Ghritaachi. [1-32-11]
Children begotten through celestial maidens are of superior nature for further procreating a divine generation, like Shakuntala, who begot Bharata, the earliest dynastic king.
ताः तु यौवन शालिन्यो रूपवत्यः स्वलंकृताः |
उद्यान भूमिम् आगंय प्रावृषि इव शतह्रदाः || १-३२-१२
गायंत्यो नृत्यमानाः च वादयंत्यः च राघव |
आमोदम् परमम् जग्मुर् वर आभरण भूषिताः || १-३२-१३
12. raaghava = oh, Raghava; yauvana shaalinyaH = youthfulness, having; ruupavatyaH = having loveliness; taaH = those girls; sva alankR^itaaH = themselves, decorating well; udyaana bhuumim aagamya = park, lands, arriving at; praa vR^iSi = in rainy season; shata hradaaH iva = in hundred way, flowing - like hundred streaked lightning; gaayantyaH nR^ityamaanaaH ca vaadayantyaH ca = singing, dancing, also, playing instruments; vara aabharaNa bhuuSitaaH = select, ornaments, decorated with; paramam aamodam jagmuH = fantastic, felicity, they went into.
"Those girls when attained youthfulness they are lovely and on an occasion they have gone to gardens and moved there about like one lightning with a hundred streaks during rainy season, and while those girls that are decorated with select ornaments are singing, dancing and playing musical instruments, they got into a fantastic felicity. [1-32-12, 13]
अथ ताः चारु सर्व अंग्यो रूपेण अप्रतिमा भुवि |
उद्यान भूमिम् आगंय तारा इव घन अन्तरे || १-३२-१४
14. atha = then; caaru sarva angyaH = pretty, all, with limbs - whose all limbs are pretty; ruupeNa bhuvi a pratimaa = by aspect, on earth, un, paralleled; taaH = those girls; udyaana bhuumim aagamya = park, lands, on coming to; ghana antare = in clouds, amid; taaraa iva = stars, like; they shone forth among thick bushes.
"On their coming to parklands those girls whose all limbs are pretty and whose looks are unparalleled on earth, they looked like stars amid clouds within the cloudy thickets of garden bushes. [1-32-14]
ताः सर्वगुण संपन्ना रूप यौवन संयुताः |
दृष्ट्वा सर्वात्मको वायुर् इदम् वचनम् अब्रवीत् || १-३२-१५
15. sarva aatmakaH vaayuH = all, pervading, Air-god; sarva guNa sampannaa = in all, aspects, well off; ruupa yauvana samyutaaH = comeliness, ripeness, together with; taaH = them; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; idam vacanam abraviit = this, word, spoke.
"On seeing them who are flourishing with all their aspects together with comeliness and ripeness, the all pervading Air-god, Vayu, spoke this word to them. [1-32-15]
अहम् वः कामये सर्वा भार्या मम भविष्यथ |
मानुषः त्यज्यताम् भावो दीर्घम् आयुर् अवाप्स्यथ || १-३२-१६
16. aham vaH sarvaa kaamaye = I, all, you, have a desire for; mama bhaaryaa bhaviSyatha = my, wives, you become; maanuSaH tyajyataam bhaavaH = pertaining to humans, leave off, notion; diirgham aayuH avaapsyatha = long, life, you acquire - like divinities.
" 'I have a desire for you all, hence leaving off the notions pertaining to human beings you all become my wives, thereby you too will acquire longevity like divinities. [1-32-16]
चलम् हि यौवनम् नित्यम् मानुषेषु विशेषतः |
अक्षयम् यौवनम् प्राप्ता अमर्यः च भविष्य्थ || १-३२-१७
17. nityam yauvanam calam hi = always, teenage, is moving, indeed; maanuSeSu visheSataH = in humans, expressly; a kshayam yauvanam praaptaa = un, diminishing, youthfulness, on achieving; amaryaH ca bhaviSytha = as immortal females, also, you can become.
" 'Teenage is always transitory, expressly in humans, but on marrying me you will achieve undiminished youthfulness and forever you can be youthful like immortal females.' Thus Air-god said to those girls. [1-32-17]
तस्य तद् वचनम् श्रुत्वा वायोः अक्लिष्ट कर्मणः |
अपहास्य ततो वाक्यम् कन्या शतम् अथ अब्रवीत् || १-३२-१८
18. tataH = then; a kliSTa karmaNaH = one with un, impeded, strives; tasya vaayoH = of that, Air-god; tat vacanam shrutvaa = that, sentence - proposal, on hearing; apahaasya = laughing off - his proposal; kanyaa shatam = maidens, hundred; atha vaakyam abraviit = then, sentence, spoke.
"On hearing that proposal of Vayu, the Air-god whose strives are unimpeded, then those hundred girls spoke this sentence laughing off his proposal. [1-32-18]
अन्तः चरसि भूतानाम् सर्वेषाम् त्वम् सुर सत्तम |
प्रभावज्ञाः च ते सर्वाः किम् अर्थम् अवमन्यसे || १-३२-१९
19. sura sattama = oh, divinity, the ablest; tvam sarveSaam bhuutaanaam = you, in all, of the beings; antaH carasi = inside, you move - you inspirit; sarvaaH te prabhaava j~naaH ca = all of us, your, uniqueness, knowers, also; [asmaan = us]; kim artham ava manyase = for what, reason, not, you honour [you dishonour us.]
" 'we are aware that you inspirit all the living beings from inside, oh, the ablest divinity, we are also aware of your uniqueness. But, what for you are dishonouring all of us. [1-32-19]
कुशनाभ सुताः देवम् समस्ता सुर सत्तम |
स्थानात् च्यावयितुम् देवम् रक्षामः तु तपो वयम् || १-३२-२०
20. sura sattama = oh, divinity, the best; samastaa vayam = all, of us are; kushanaabha sutaaH = Kushanaabha's, daughters; devam = as god; sthaanaat cyaavayitum = from your realm, to displace; samarthaa = we are capable]; deva = oh, god; tu = but we are; tapaH rakSaamaH = [our] asceticism, we are conserving.
" 'We are the daughters of Kushanaabha, oh, best divinity, and we are all capable of displacing you from your realm, but oh, god, we are restraining ourselves in doing so only to conserve our ascetic values. [1-32-20]
मा भूत् स कालो दुर्मेधः पितरम् सत्य वादिनम् |
अवमन्यस्व स्व धर्मेण स्वयम् वरम् उपास्महे || १-३२-२१
21. dur medhaH = oh, evil, minded one - god with sordid thinking; satya vaadinam = truth, advocate of - veracious; pitaram = father; ava manya = dis, regarding - overlooking; sva dharmeNa = at our, liberty; svayam varam upaasmahe = independently, groom, [at which time we] look up; saH kaalaH maa bhuut = that, time, not, to come.
" 'That time shall never come, oh, god with sordid thinking, when we, at our liberty, may look up for our grooms overlooking our veracious father.' [1-32-21]
पिता हि प्रभुर् अस्माकम् दैवतम् परमम् च सः |
यस्य नो दास्यति पिता स नो भर्ता भविष्यति || १-३२-२२
22. asmaakam = for us; pitaa prabhuH hi = father [alone is,] lord, indeed; saH paramam daivatam ca = he [alone,] ultimate, god, also; pitaa = father; naH yasya daasyati = us, to whom [he] gives; saH naH bhartaa bhaviSyati = he [alone,] our, husband, becomes.
" 'Our father is indeed our lord and for us he is the ultimate god too. To whomever we are offered by our father in marriage he alone becomes our husband.' So said hundred girls to Air-god. [1-32-22]
तासाम् तु वचनम् श्रुत्वा हरिः परम कोपनः |
प्रविश्य सर्व गात्राणि बभंज भगवान् प्रभुः || १-३२-२३
23. taasaam tu vacanam shrutvaa = their, but, sentence, on hearing; bhagavaan prabhuH = god, who has high impact; hariH [vaayuH] parama kopanaH = god, Air, very, angrily; sarva gaatraaNi pravishya = all, body-parts, on entering; babhanja = crooked [disfigured].
On hearing their sentence of rejection, Vayu, the Air-god whose impact is powerful, very angrily entered into all of the limbs of those girls only to disfigure them. [1-32-23]
ताः कन्या वायुना भग्ना विविशुर् नृपतेः गृहम् |
प्रविश्य च सुसंभ्रान्ताः स लज्जाः स अस्र लोचन || १-३२-२४
24. vaayunaa bhagnaa = by Air-god, disfigured; taaH kanyaa = those, girls; nR^ipateH gR^iham vivishuH = king's, house [palace,] entered; su sam bhraantaaH = very, highly, diffident; sa lajjaaH = with, embarrassment; sa asra locana = with, tears, in eyes; pravishya = entered.
"Those girls whom Air-god disfigured in that way have entered palace-chambers of the king, but they have entered diffidently, embarrassedly, and tearfully. [1-32-24]
स च ता दयिता भग्नाः कन्याः परम शोभनाः |
दृष्ट्वा दीनाः तदा राजा संभ्रांत इदम् अब्रवीत् || १-३२-२५
25. saH raajaa = he, the king; tadaa = then; dayitaa = dear ones; diinaaH = despondent ones; parama shobhanaaH = [once] very, attractive ones; taaH kanyaaH = those, girls; bhagnaaH = disfigured; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; sam bhraanta = he is highly, perturbed; idam abraviit = this, said.
"That king on seeing his dear and attractive daughters as disfigured and despondent girls he is highly perturbed and said this. [1-32-25]
किम् इदम् कथ्यताम् पुत्र्यः को धर्मम् अवमन्यते |
कुब्जाः केन कृताः सर्वाः चेष्टन्त्यो न अभिभाषथ |
एवम् राजा विनिःश्वस्य समाधिम् संदधे ततः || १-३२-२६
26. putryaH = oh, daughters; idam kim = this, what is; kaH dharmam ava manyate = who is, probity, not, regarding; kathyataam = let it be said; sarvaaH kubjaaH = all of you, dwarfed [with hunchbacks, disfigured]; kena kR^itaaH = by whom, made; ceSTantyaH na abhibhaaSatha = you gesticulate, not, saying; raajaa evam = king, this way [on saying]; tataH = then; viniHshvasya = sighed; samaadhim sam dadhe = rumination, imposed upon himself - remained silent for their reply.
" 'Oh, daughters, what all is this? Who disregarded probity? Who disfigured you all? Let it be said! Why you gesticulate saying nothing.' asking thus that king sighed and quietened down waiting for a reply." Thus Sage Vishvamitra continued his narration. [1-32-26]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये बाल काण्डे द्वि त्रिंशः सर्गः
© 2002, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : July 04]