The ire of sage Vishvamitra is shown at king Dasharatha. To pacify sage Vishvamitra, sage Vashishta intervenes and convinces king Dasharatha to send Rama with sage Vishvamitra. While doing so, sage Vashishta enumerates the capabilities of sage Vishvamitra, his knowledge of weaponry. Vashishta also suggests that all those weapons will be given to Rama, if Rama is dispatched with Vishvamitra. At last, Dasharatha agrees to send Rama.
तत् श्रुत्वा वचनम् तस्य स्नेह पर्याकुलाक्षरम् |
समन्युः कौशिको वाक्यम् प्रति उवाच महीपतिम् || १-२१-१
1. tasya sneha paryaakula aksharam = his [Dasharatha's,] with fond [for son,] wavery, letters [words]; tat vachanam shrutwaa = that, sentence, on hearing; sa manyuH kaushikaH = with, wrath, Vishvamitra; mahii patim vaakyam prati uvaacha = to land, lord - king; sentence, in turn said - replied.
On hearing the wavery words of Dasharatha that are full of fond for his son, Vishvamitra wrathfully replied this sentence to the king. [1-21-1]
पूर्वम् अर्थम् प्रति श्रुत्य प्रतिज्ञाम् हातुम् इच्छसि |
राघवाणाम् अयुक्तोऽयम् कुलस्य अस्य विपर्ययः || १-२१-२
2. puurvam artham pratishrutya = firstly, object - promise, having promised; pratij~naam haatum icChasi = promise, to repudiate, you wish [now]; ayam viparyayaH = this, deviation; raaghavaaNaam asya kulasya a yuktaH = for [kings of] Raghava-s, this, dynasty's, not, deserving.
"On promising me to fulfil my object in the first instance you wish to repudiate it now, undeserving is this kind of deviation for the kings of Raghava dynasty. [1-21-2]
यद् इदम् ते क्षमम् राजन् गमिष्यामि यथा आगतम् |
मिथ्या प्रतिज्ञः काकुत्स्थ सुखी भव सु हृद् वृतः || १-२१-३
3. raajan = oh, king; idam te kshamam yadi = this is, to you, worth while, if; yathaa aagatam gama iSyaami = as, I have come, to go away, I wish; kaakutha = oh, Kakutstha; mithyaa pratij~naH = one with feigned, promise; sa baandhava sukhi bhava = with, kinsmen, happy, you be [nonchalant.]
"If this is worth while to you, oh, king, I wish to go away as I have come, and you with your feigned promises be nonchalantly happy with your kinsmen." So said Vishvamitra to the king. [1-21-3]
तस्य रोष परीतस्य विश्वामित्रस्य धीमतः |
चचाल वसुधा कृत्स्ना देवानाम् च भयम् || १-२१-४
4. dhiimataH = prudent one; tasya vishwamitrasya roSa pariitasya = that, Vishvamitra, in fury, when he is enwrapped in; kR^itsnaa vasudhaa chachaalaH = entire, earth, trembled; suraan bhayam vivesha cha = to gods, scare, entered [in their minds.]
When that prudent sage Vishvamitra is thus enwrapped in fury, then the whole earth trembled and the gods are scared. [1-21-4]
त्रस्त रूपम् तु विज्ञाय जगत्सर्वम् महान् ऋषिः |
नृपतिम् सुव्रतो धीरो वसिष्ठो वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || १-२१-५
5. su vrataH = one with high vows; dhiiraH = insightful one; mahaan R^ishiH = great, sage; Vashishta; jagat sarvam = world, entire; trasta ruupam tu vij~naaya = appalled, appearance, then, knowing; nR^ipam = to king; vaakyam abraviit = words, said.
On knowing the appalled appearance of the entire world at the fury of Vishvamitra, Vashishta the great sage with high vows and an insightful one too, said these words to the king. [1-21-5]
इक्ष्वाकूणाम् कुले जातः साक्षात् धर्म इव अपरः |
धृतिमान् सुव्रतः श्रीमान् न धर्मम् हातुम् अर्हसि || १-२१-६
6. ikshwaakuuNaam kule jaataH = in Ikshwaku, dynasty, born [are you]; saakshaat aparaH dharam iva = apparently, another, god of ethics, [you are] like; dhR^itimaan = staunch person; su vrataH = rightly, vowed one; shriimaan = glorious one; dharmam haatum na arhasi = ethics, to forsake, not, apt of you.
"Born in Ikshwaku dynasty you are apparently the other god of ethics on earth, a staunch one with righteous vows and a glorious one too, such as you are, it will be unapt of you to forsake ethics." [1-21-6]
त्रिषु लोकेषु विख्यातो धर्मात्मा इति राघव |
स्व धर्मम् प्रतिपद्यस्व न अधर्मम् वोढुम् अर्हसि || १-२१-७
7. raaghava = oh, Raghu's descendent; dharmaatmaa iti = right-minded one, thus as; triSu lokeshu vikhyataH = in three, worlds, you are renowned; sva dharmam pratipadyasva = your own, uprightness, adhere to; a dharmam voDhum na arhasi = un-righteousness, to bear [adhering to,] not, apt of you.
"In three worlds you are renowned as the right-minded one, oh, Raghava, hence adhere to your own uprightness, and adhering to unrighteousness will be unapt of you. [1-21-7]
प्रति श्रुत्य करिष्ये इति उक्तम् वाक्यम् अकुर्वतः |
इष्टापूर्त वधो भूयात् तस्मात् रामम् विसर्जय || १-२१-८
8. raaghavaH = oh, Raghava; iti kariSye = this deed/way, will be done - effectuated; pratishrutya = having promised; uktam vaakyam a kurvataH = said [promised,] word, not, doing; iSTapuurta vadham bhuuyaat = [to the merits of] Vedic rituals, doom, it becomes; tasmaat ramam vi sarjaya = therefore, Rama, be left of � let go.
"Promising to effectuate something in any way and not effectuating the given word results in the perdition to the merits of iSTapurta Vedic rituals, hence oh, Raghava, leave hold of Rama. [1-21-8]
In some Vedic rituals activates for social service are undertaken, and they are known as iSTaapuurta rituals, in which digging wells, lakes and other social facilities will be undertaken.
कृतास्त्रम् अकृतास्त्रम् वा न एवम् शक्ष्यन्ति राक्षसाः |
गुप्तम् कुइशिक पुत्रेण ज्वलनेन अमृतम् यथा || १-२१-९
9. kR^ita astram = done - trained in, weaponry [trained] ; a kR^ita astram vaa = un, trained, in weaponry, or; kushika putreNa guptam = by Kushika's son - by Vishvamitra, protected; enam = him [Rama]; jwalanena amR^ita yathaa = [protected] by fire, ambrosia, as with; raakshasaaH na shakshanti = demons, cannot, trounce.
"Whether Rama is trained in weaponry or not, demons cannot trounce Rama as long as Kushi's son Vishvamitra protects him, like the heavenly firewall that protects divine nectar. [1-21-9]
In heaven an unapproachable firewall encircles the vessel of ambrosia protecting it from thieving by the demons.
एष विग्रहवान् धर्म एष वीर्यवताम् वरः |
एष विद्य अधिको लोके तपसः च परायणम् || १-२१-१०
10. eSa vigrahavaan dharmaH = he is [Vishvamitra is,] an embodiment of, virtue; eSa viiryavataam varaH = he is, among venturesome, matchless; eSa budhyaa = he is, by intellect; loke adhikaH = [among all] in world, peerless; tapasaH paraayaNam = for ascesis, flawless one.
"He is an embodiment of virtue, matchless among the venturesome, peerless in intellect among all in the world, and flawless in ascesis. [1-21-10]
एषो अस्त्रान् विविधान् वेत्ति त्रैलोक्ये स चराचरे |
न एनम् अन्यः पुमान् वेत्ति न च वेत्स्यन्ति केचन || १-२१-११
11. eSa vividhaan astraan vetti = he, various, missiles, is in know-how; enam = him [about Vishvamitra]; sa chara a chara = with, mobile, sessile; trai lokye = in three, worlds; anyaH pumaan na vetti = other, person, doest not, know [excepting me]; kechana na vetsyanti cha = someone, not, [be able to] know, even.
"He is in the know-how of various missiles, and no other person is there in the triad of worlds, inclusive of sessile and mobile worlds, who is knowledgeable about him, or someone who can know him will be there in future, excepting myself. [1-21-11]
न देवा न ऋषयः के चित् न अमरा न च राक्षसाः |
गन्धर्व यक्ष प्रवराः स किन्नर महोरगाः || १-२१-१२
12. devaaH = gods; na = cannot know Vishvamitra; R^ishaSayaH kechit na = sages, anybody, no; amaraaH na = immortals, no; raakshasaaH cha = demons, also; na = no; sa kinnara maha uragaaH ghandharva yaksha pravaraaH = together with, kinnaraa, great reptile beings, gandharva, yaksha, eminent ones; [na = no.]
"While Gods cannot know Vishvamitra, can anybody from sages - no; immortals- no; demons - no; the gandharva-s and eminent yaksha-s together with the kinnaraa-s and great reptile beings - no, they cannot know him. [1-21-12]
सर्व अस्त्राणि कृशाश्वस्य पुत्राः परम धार्मिकाः |
कौशिकाय पुरा दत्ता यदा राज्यम् प्रशासति || १-२१-१३
13. kR^ishaasvasya = Krishaasva's parama dhaarmikaaH putraaH = highly righteous, sons; sarva astraaaNi = all, missiles [known to Vishvamitra] are; yadaa puraaa raajyam prashaasati = when, earlier, kingdom, he was ruling; then; kaushikaaya datta = to Kaushuka - Viswamitra, they were given [by god Shiva.]
"All the missiles known to Vishvamitra are the highly righteous children of Krishaasva Prajapati, where Prajapati-s were the earliest ruler of mankind, and god Shiva gave them to Vishvamitra when was ruling kingdom. [1-21-13]
ते अपि पुत्रा कृशाश्वस्य प्रजापति सुता सुताः |
न एक रूपा महावीर्या दीप्तिमंतो जयावहाः || १-२१-१४
14. prajaapati sutaa sutaaH = [Daksha] Prajaapati's, daughter's, sons; kR^ishaashvasya putraa = Krishaasva Prajapati, sons; te api = they, even; na eka ruupa = not, in one, form - disparate; maha viiryaa = very, intrepid ones; diiptimantaH = dazzling; jayaa vahaa = victory, carriers of.
"Those missiles are the sons of Daksha Prajaapati's daughters and her husband Krishaasva Prajapati, and they are disparate in their form, intrepid, dazzling, and victory-oriented missiles. [1-21-14]
जया च सुप्रभा च एव दक्ष कन्ये सुमध्यमे |
ते सूते अस्त्र शस्त्राणि शतम् परम भास्वरम् || १-२१-१५
15. jaya cha suprabha eva = Jaya, and, Suprabha, also; su madhyame = best waisted ones; daksha kanye = Daksha Prajaapati's daughters; te = they; to them, parama bhaasvaram = supremely, flaring; astra shatraaNi = to missiles, weapons; shatam = hundred; suute = gave birth.
"Jaya and Suprabha, the daughters of Daksha Prajapati, endowed with best waists gave birth to a hundred missiles and weaponry whose flare is supreme. [1-21-15]
पंचाशतम् सुतान् लेभे जया लब्ध वरा वरान् |
वधायासुरसैन्यानामप्रमेयानरूपिणः - यद्वा -
वधाय असुर सैन्यानाम् अप्रमेयान् अरूपिणः || १-२१-१६
16. jaya naama = Jaya, named [lady]; labdha varaa = on getting, boon; asura sainyaanaam vadhaaya = ungodly beings, armies, for destruction of; a prameyaan = with immeasurable [fortitude]; a ruupiNaH = without, form; varaan = the bests ones [missile sons]; panchaashatam sutaan labhe = fifty, sons, benefited with.
"On getting a boon Jaya named wife of Krishaasva Prajapati is benefited with fifty best and formless sons with immeasurable fortitude for the destruction of ungodly beings. [1-21-16]
सुप्रभा अजनयत् च अपि पुत्रान् पंचाशतम् पुनः |
संहारान् नाम दुर्धर्षान् दुराक्रामान् बलीयसः || १-२१-१७
17. suprabha api = Suprabha, even; durdharshaan = unassailable ones; dur aakramaan = unconquerable ones; baliiyasaH = very mighty ones; punaH = again - another; samhaaran naama putraan = eliminators, named, sons; panchashatam ajanayat = to fifty of them, gave birth.
"Suprabha, another wife of Krishaasva Prajapati, gave birth to another fifty unassailable, unconquerable and mighty sons named the Eliminators. [1-21-17]
तानि च अस्त्राणि वेत्ति एष यथावत् कुशिक आत्मजः |
अपूर्वाणाम् च जनने शक्तो भूयः च धर्मवित् || १-२१-१८
18. eSa kushika aatmajaH = this, Kaushika's, son [sage Vishvamitra]; taani astraaNi yathaavat vetti = them, the missiles, as it is, he knows; dharma vit = virtue, knower - principled one; saH buuyaH = he, again; a puuravaaNaam = not, available earlier - new missiles; janane shaktaH ca = creating, capable of, also.
"And this sage Vishvamitra is in the precise know of the said missiles, and this principled one is also capable of creating hitherto unavailable missiles. [1-21-18]
तेन अस्य मुनि मुख्यस्य धर्मज्ञस्य महात्मनः |
न किंचिद् अस्ति अविदितम् भूतम् भव्यम् च राघव || १-२१-१९
19. tena = thereby; raaghava = oh, Dasharatha; muni mukhyasya = by sage, the distinguished; dharma j~nasya = virtue-knower; asya = to him; mahaa aatmanaH = great-souled; bhuutam bhavyam ca = in past, in future, too; a viditam = unknown thing; kimchit na asti = in the least, is not, there.
"Thereby, oh, Raghava, nothing whatsoever is unknown to this great-souled Vishvamitra, who is a distinguished sage and the knower of virtue, either that has happened or that is happening. [1-21-19]
एवम् वीर्यो महातेजा विश्वामित्रो महा यशाः |
न राम गमने राजन् संशयम् गन्तुम् अर्हसि || १-२१-२०
20. mahaa tejaa = great, resplendent; mahaa yashaH = highly, renowned; Vishvamitra; evam viiryaH = this sort of, with enterprise; raajan = oh, king; raama gamane = Rama's, accompanying [the sage]; samshayam gantum = doubt, enter into; na = not; arhasi = apt of you.
"Thus, the highly renowned and great resplendent sage Vishvamitra has this sort of enterprise, oh, king, allowing a doubt enter your mind in Rama's accompanying the sage will be unapt of you. [1-21-20]
तेषाम् निग्रहणे शक्तः स्वयम् च कुशिकात्मजः |
तव पुत्र हितार्थाय त्वाम् उपेत्य अभि याचते || १-२१-२१
21. kushika aatmaja = Kushi's son, Vishvamitra; swayam cha = himself, even; teSaam nigrahaNa shaktaH = them [the demons,] to control, capable of; tava putra hita arthaaya = for your, son's, benefit, intending to; tvaam upetya = to you, on approaching; abhi yaachate = imploring upon you.
"This son of Kushi, Vishvamitra, can as well control those demons by himself, but intending to accord beneficence to your son he approached you and imploring upon you. [1-21-21]
इति मुनि वचनात् प्रसन्न चित्तो
रघु वृषभः च मुमोद पार्थिव अग्र्यः |
गमनम् अभिरुरोच राघवस्य
प्रथित यशाः कुशिक आत्मजाय बुध्या || १-२१-२२
21. raghu vR^ishabhaH = in Raghu's dynasty, prominent one, - Dasharatha; iti muni vachanaat = thus, sage Vashishta's, words; prassanna chittaH = serene, minded; paarthiva agrya = among kings, supreme one; mumoda = gladdened; prathita yashaaH = pronouncedly, renowned one - Dasharatha; kushika aatmajaaya = for Kushika's son, sage Vishvamitra; raaghavasya gamanam = Rama's, travel; budhyaa = wholeheartedly; abhi rurocha = verily, consented to.
Thus the prominent king from Raghu dynasty, namely Dasharatha, became serene-minded by sage Vashishta's words, and he who is supreme among other kings and who has pronounced renown, that Dasharatha then gladly and wholeheartedly consented to the travel of Rama along with the sage Vishvamitra. [1-21-21]
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदिकाव्ये बाल काण्डे एकविंशः सर्गः ||
© 2001, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : May 04]