The ire of sage Vishvamitra is shown at king Dasharatha. To pacify sage Vishvamitra, sage Vashishta intervenes and convinces king Dasharatha to send Rama with sage Vishvamitra. While doing so, sage Vashishta enumerates the capabilities of sage Vishvamitra, his knowledge of weaponry. Vashishta also suggests that all those weapons will be given to Rama, if Rama is dispatched with Vishvamitra. At last, Dasharatha agrees to send Rama.
tat śrutvā vacanam tasya sneha paryākulākṣaram |
samanyuḥ kauśiko vākyam prati uvāca mahīpatim || 1-21-1
1. tasya sneha paryaakula aksharam = his [Dasharatha's,] with fond [for son,] wavery, letters [words]; tat vachanam shrutwaa = that, sentence, on hearing; sa manyuH kaushikaH = with, wrath, Vishvamitra; mahii patim vaakyam prati uvaacha = to land, lord - king; sentence, in turn said - replied.
On hearing the wavery words of Dasharatha that are full of fond for his son, Vishvamitra wrathfully replied this sentence to the king. [1-21-1]
pūrvam artham prati śrutya pratijñām hātum icchasi |
rāghavāṇām ayukto.ayam kulasya asya viparyayaḥ || 1-21-2
2. puurvam artham pratishrutya = firstly, object - promise, having promised; pratij~naam haatum icChasi = promise, to repudiate, you wish [now]; ayam viparyayaH = this, deviation; raaghavaaNaam asya kulasya a yuktaH = for [kings of] Raghava-s, this, dynasty's, not, deserving.
"On promising me to fulfil my object in the first instance you wish to repudiate it now, undeserving is this kind of deviation for the kings of Raghava dynasty. [1-21-2]
yad idam te kṣamam rājan gamiṣyāmi yathā āgatam |
mithyā pratijñaḥ kākutstha sukhī bhava su hṛd vṛtaḥ || 1-21-3
3. raajan = oh, king; idam te kshamam yadi = this is, to you, worth while, if; yathaa aagatam gama iSyaami = as, I have come, to go away, I wish; kaakutha = oh, Kakutstha; mithyaa pratij~naH = one with feigned, promise; sa baandhava sukhi bhava = with, kinsmen, happy, you be [nonchalant.]
"If this is worth while to you, oh, king, I wish to go away as I have come, and you with your feigned promises be nonchalantly happy with your kinsmen." So said Vishvamitra to the king. [1-21-3]
tasya roṣa parītasya viśvāmitrasya dhīmataḥ |
cacāla vasudhā kṛtsnā devānām ca bhayam || 1-21-4
4. dhiimataH = prudent one; tasya vishwamitrasya roSa pariitasya = that, Vishvamitra, in fury, when he is enwrapped in; kR^itsnaa vasudhaa chachaalaH = entire, earth, trembled; suraan bhayam vivesha cha = to gods, scare, entered [in their minds.]
When that prudent sage Vishvamitra is thus enwrapped in fury, then the whole earth trembled and the gods are scared. [1-21-4]
trasta rūpam tu vijñāya jagatsarvam mahān ṛṣiḥ |
nṛpatim suvrato dhīro vasiṣṭho vākyam abravīt || 1-21-5
5. su vrataH = one with high vows; dhiiraH = insightful one; mahaan R^ishiH = great, sage; Vashishta; jagat sarvam = world, entire; trasta ruupam tu vij~naaya = appalled, appearance, then, knowing; nR^ipam = to king; vaakyam abraviit = words, said.
On knowing the appalled appearance of the entire world at the fury of Vishvamitra, Vashishta the great sage with high vows and an insightful one too, said these words to the king. [1-21-5]
ikṣvākūṇām kule jātaḥ sākṣāt dharma iva aparaḥ |
dhṛtimān suvrataḥ śrīmān na dharmam hātum arhasi || 1-21-6
6. ikshwaakuuNaam kule jaataH = in Ikshwaku, dynasty, born [are you]; saakshaat aparaH dharam iva = apparently, another, god of ethics, [you are] like; dhR^itimaan = staunch person; su vrataH = rightly, vowed one; shriimaan = glorious one; dharmam haatum na arhasi = ethics, to forsake, not, apt of you.
"Born in Ikshwaku dynasty you are apparently the other god of ethics on earth, a staunch one with righteous vows and a glorious one too, such as you are, it will be unapt of you to forsake ethics." [1-21-6]
triṣu lokeṣu vikhyāto dharmātmā iti rāghava |
sva dharmam pratipadyasva na adharmam voḍhum arhasi || 1-21-7
7. raaghava = oh, Raghu's descendent; dharmaatmaa iti = right-minded one, thus as; triSu lokeshu vikhyataH = in three, worlds, you are renowned; sva dharmam pratipadyasva = your own, uprightness, adhere to; a dharmam voDhum na arhasi = un-righteousness, to bear [adhering to,] not, apt of you.
"In three worlds you are renowned as the right-minded one, oh, Raghava, hence adhere to your own uprightness, and adhering to unrighteousness will be unapt of you. [1-21-7]
prati śrutya kariṣye iti uktam vākyam akurvataḥ |
iṣṭāpūrta vadho bhūyāt tasmāt rāmam visarjaya || 1-21-8
8. raaghavaH = oh, Raghava; iti kariSye = this deed/way, will be done - effectuated; pratishrutya = having promised; uktam vaakyam a kurvataH = said [promised,] word, not, doing; iSTapuurta vadham bhuuyaat = [to the merits of] Vedic rituals, doom, it becomes; tasmaat ramam vi sarjaya = therefore, Rama, be left of - let go.
"Promising to effectuate something in any way and not effectuating the given word results in the perdition to the merits of iSTapurta Vedic rituals, hence oh, Raghava, leave hold of Rama. [1-21-8]
In some Vedic rituals activates for social service are undertaken, and they are known as iSTaapuurta rituals, in which digging wells, lakes and other social facilities will be undertaken.
kṛtāstram akṛtāstram vā na evam śakṣyanti rākṣasāḥ |
guptam kuiśika putreṇa jvalanena amṛtam yathā || 1-21-9
9. kR^ita astram = done - trained in, weaponry [trained] ; a kR^ita astram vaa = un, trained, in weaponry, or; kushika putreNa guptam = by Kushika's son - by Vishvamitra, protected; enam = him [Rama]; jwalanena amR^ita yathaa = [protected] by fire, ambrosia, as with; raakshasaaH na shakshanti = demons, cannot, trounce.
"Whether Rama is trained in weaponry or not, demons cannot trounce Rama as long as Kushi's son Vishvamitra protects him, like the heavenly firewall that protects divine nectar. [1-21-9]
In heaven an unapproachable firewall encircles the vessel of ambrosia protecting it from thieving by the demons.
eṣa vigrahavān dharma eṣa vīryavatām varaḥ |
eṣa vidya adhiko loke tapasaḥ ca parāyaṇam || 1-21-10
10. eSa vigrahavaan dharmaH = he is [Vishvamitra is,] an embodiment of, virtue; eSa viiryavataam varaH = he is, among venturesome, matchless; eSa budhyaa = he is, by intellect; loke adhikaH = [among all] in world, peerless; tapasaH paraayaNam = for ascesis, flawless one.
"He is an embodiment of virtue, matchless among the venturesome, peerless in intellect among all in the world, and flawless in ascesis. [1-21-10]
eṣo astrān vividhān vetti trailokye sa carācare |
na enam anyaḥ pumān vetti na ca vetsyanti kecana || 1-21-11
11. eSa vividhaan astraan vetti = he, various, missiles, is in know-how; enam = him [about Vishvamitra]; sa chara a chara = with, mobile, sessile; trai lokye = in three, worlds; anyaH pumaan na vetti = other, person, doest not, know [excepting me]; kechana na vetsyanti cha = someone, not, [be able to] know, even.
"He is in the know-how of various missiles, and no other person is there in the triad of worlds, inclusive of sessile and mobile worlds, who is knowledgeable about him, or someone who can know him will be there in future, excepting myself. [1-21-11]
na devā na ṛṣayaḥ ke cit na amarā na ca rākṣasāḥ |
gandharva yakṣa pravarāḥ sa kinnara mahoragāḥ || 1-21-12
12. devaaH = gods; na = cannot know Vishvamitra; R^ishaSayaH kechit na = sages, anybody, no; amaraaH na = immortals, no; raakshasaaH cha = demons, also; na = no; sa kinnara maha uragaaH ghandharva yaksha pravaraaH = together with, kinnaraa, great reptile beings, gandharva, yaksha, eminent ones; [na = no.]
"While Gods cannot know Vishvamitra, can anybody from sages - no; immortals- no; demons - no; the gandharva-s and eminent yaksha-s together with the kinnaraa-s and great reptile beings - no, they cannot know him. [1-21-12]
sarva astrāṇi kṛśāśvasya putrāḥ parama dhārmikāḥ |
kauśikāya purā dattā yadā rājyam praśāsati || 1-21-13
13. kR^ishaasvasya = Krishaasva's parama dhaarmikaaH putraaH = highly righteous, sons; sarva astraaaNi = all, missiles [known to Vishvamitra] are; yadaa puraaa raajyam prashaasati = when, earlier, kingdom, he was ruling; then; kaushikaaya datta = to Kaushuka - Viswamitra, they were given [by god Shiva.]
"All the missiles known to Vishvamitra are the highly righteous children of Krishaasva Prajapati, where Prajapati-s were the earliest ruler of mankind, and god Shiva gave them to Vishvamitra when was ruling kingdom. [1-21-13]
te api putrā kṛśāśvasya prajāpati sutā sutāḥ |
na eka rūpā mahāvīryā dīptimaṃto jayāvahāḥ || 1-21-14
14. prajaapati sutaa sutaaH = [Daksha] Prajaapati's, daughter's, sons; kR^ishaashvasya putraa = Krishaasva Prajapati, sons; te api = they, even; na eka ruupa = not, in one, form - disparate; maha viiryaa = very, intrepid ones; diiptimantaH = dazzling; jayaa vahaa = victory, carriers of.
"Those missiles are the sons of Daksha Prajaapati's daughters and her husband Krishaasva Prajapati, and they are disparate in their form, intrepid, dazzling, and victory-oriented missiles. [1-21-14]
jayā ca suprabhā ca eva dakṣa kanye sumadhyame |
te sūte astra śastrāṇi śatam parama bhāsvaram || 1-21-15
15. jaya cha suprabha eva = Jaya, and, Suprabha, also; su madhyame = best waisted ones; daksha kanye = Daksha Prajaapati's daughters; te = they; to them, parama bhaasvaram = supremely, flaring; astra shatraaNi = to missiles, weapons; shatam = hundred; suute = gave birth.
"Jaya and Suprabha, the daughters of Daksha Prajapati, endowed with best waists gave birth to a hundred missiles and weaponry whose flare is supreme. [1-21-15]
paṃcāśatam sutān lebhe jayā labdha varā varān |
vadhāyāsurasainyānāmaprameyānarūpiṇaḥ - yadvā -
vadhāya asura sainyānām aprameyān arūpiṇaḥ || 1-21-16
16. jaya naama = Jaya, named [lady]; labdha varaa = on getting, boon; asura sainyaanaam vadhaaya = ungodly beings, armies, for destruction of; a prameyaan = with immeasurable [fortitude]; a ruupiNaH = without, form; varaan = the bests ones [missile sons]; panchaashatam sutaan labhe = fifty, sons, benefited with.
"On getting a boon Jaya named wife of Krishaasva Prajapati is benefited with fifty best and formless sons with immeasurable fortitude for the destruction of ungodly beings. [1-21-16]
suprabhā ajanayat ca api putrān paṃcāśatam punaḥ |
saṃhārān nāma durdharṣān durākrāmān balīyasaḥ || 1-21-17
17. suprabha api = Suprabha, even; durdharshaan = unassailable ones; dur aakramaan = unconquerable ones; baliiyasaH = very mighty ones; punaH = again - another; samhaaran naama putraan = eliminators, named, sons; panchashatam ajanayat = to fifty of them, gave birth.
"Suprabha, another wife of Krishaasva Prajapati, gave birth to another fifty unassailable, unconquerable and mighty sons named the Eliminators. [1-21-17]
tāni ca astrāṇi vetti eṣa yathāvat kuśika ātmajaḥ |
apūrvāṇām ca janane śakto bhūyaḥ ca dharmavit || 1-21-18
18. eSa kushika aatmajaH = this, Kaushika's, son [sage Vishvamitra]; taani astraaNi yathaavat vetti = them, the missiles, as it is, he knows; dharma vit = virtue, knower - principled one; saH buuyaH = he, again; a puuravaaNaam = not, available earlier - new missiles; janane shaktaH ca = creating, capable of, also.
"And this sage Vishvamitra is in the precise know of the said missiles, and this principled one is also capable of creating hitherto unavailable missiles. [1-21-18]
tena asya muni mukhyasya dharmajñasya mahātmanaḥ |
na kiṃcid asti aviditam bhūtam bhavyam ca rāghava || 1-21-19
19. tena = thereby; raaghava = oh, Dasharatha; muni mukhyasya = by sage, the distinguished; dharma j~nasya = virtue-knower; asya = to him; mahaa aatmanaH = great-souled; bhuutam bhavyam ca = in past, in future, too; a viditam = unknown thing; kimchit na asti = in the least, is not, there.
"Thereby, oh, Raghava, nothing whatsoever is unknown to this great-souled Vishvamitra, who is a distinguished sage and the knower of virtue, either that has happened or that is happening. [1-21-19]
evam vīryo mahātejā viśvāmitro mahā yaśāḥ |
na rāma gamane rājan saṃśayam gantum arhasi || 1-21-20
20. mahaa tejaa = great, resplendent; mahaa yashaH = highly, renowned; Vishvamitra; evam viiryaH = this sort of, with enterprise; raajan = oh, king; raama gamane = Rama's, accompanying [the sage]; samshayam gantum = doubt, enter into; na = not; arhasi = apt of you.
"Thus, the highly renowned and great resplendent sage Vishvamitra has this sort of enterprise, oh, king, allowing a doubt enter your mind in Rama's accompanying the sage will be unapt of you. [1-21-20]
teṣām nigrahaṇe śaktaḥ svayam ca kuśikātmajaḥ |
tava putra hitārthāya tvām upetya abhi yācate || 1-21-21
21. kushika aatmaja = Kushi's son, Vishvamitra; swayam cha = himself, even; teSaam nigrahaNa shaktaH = them [the demons,] to control, capable of; tava putra hita arthaaya = for your, son's, benefit, intending to; tvaam upetya = to you, on approaching; abhi yaachate = imploring upon you.
"This son of Kushi, Vishvamitra, can as well control those demons by himself, but intending to accord beneficence to your son he approached you and imploring upon you. [1-21-21]
iti muni vacanāt prasanna citto
raghu vṛṣabhaḥ ca mumoda pārthiva agryaḥ |
gamanam abhiruroca rāghavasya
prathita yaśāḥ kuśika ātmajāya budhyā || 1-21-22
21. raghu vR^ishabhaH = in Raghu's dynasty, prominent one, - Dasharatha; iti muni vachanaat = thus, sage Vashishta's, words; prassanna chittaH = serene, minded; paarthiva agrya = among kings, supreme one; mumoda = gladdened; prathita yashaaH = pronouncedly, renowned one - Dasharatha; kushika aatmajaaya = for Kushika's son, sage Vishvamitra; raaghavasya gamanam = Rama's, travel; budhyaa = wholeheartedly; abhi rurocha = verily, consented to.
Thus the prominent king from Raghu dynasty, namely Dasharatha, became serene-minded by sage Vashishta's words, and he who is supreme among other kings and who has pronounced renown, that Dasharatha then gladly and wholeheartedly consented to the travel of Rama along with the sage Vishvamitra. [1-21-21]
iti vālmīki rāmāyaṇe ādikāvye bāla kāṇḍe ekaviṃśaḥ sargaḥ ||
© 2001, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : May 04]
Read more about:
vishvamitra and verse
Fastest FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Client