Rama pacifies Lakshmana, saying that Bharata, due to his affection towards his brothers and due to the distress that troubles his mind after hearing of the news of their exile, he came to the forest and not with any other motive. Ashamed of himself to hear the opinion of Rama about Bharata, and descending the tree, Lakshmana hides his abashment by changing the topic. Commanded by Bharata that no disturbance should be caused to the hermitage occupied by Rama, the army encamps around the edge of the mountain, chitrakuta.
सुसम्रब्धम् तु सौमित्रिम् लक्ष्मणम् क्रोध मूर्चितम् |
रामः तु परिसान्त्व्य अथ वचनम् च इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-९७-१
1. atha = then; raamstu = Rama on the other hand; parisaantvya = pacifying; lakSmaNam = Lakshmana; saumitrim = son of sumitra; susuamrabdham = who was very much agitated; krodhamuurchhitam = and infatuated with anger; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these; vachanam cha = words.
Rama on the other hand, pacifying Lakshmana (son of Sumitra), who was very much agitated and infatuated with anger, spoke the following words:
किम् अत्र धनुषा कार्यम् असिना वा सचर्मणा |
महा इष्वासे महा प्राज्ने भरते स्वयम् आगते || २-९७-२
2. mahesvaase = wielding a great bow; mahaapraaj^Ne = and highly wise man; svayam = himself; aagate = is coming; atra = here; kim kaaryam = what is the use; dhanuSara = or a sword; sacharmaNaa = with a shield?
"While Bharata, wieldin a bow and highly wise-man himself is coming here, what is the use of a bow or sword with a shield?"
पितुस्सत्यं प्रतिश्रुत्य हत्वा भरतमागतम् |
किम् करिष्यामि राज्येन सापवादेन लक्ष्मण || २-९७-३
3. kim kariSyaami = what shall I do; raajyena = with the kingdom; saapavaadena = by acquiring ill-fame; hatvaa = killing; bharatum = Bharata; aagatam = who came (to see me); pratishrutya = having promised to make; pituH = our father's word; satyam = a reality; lakSmaNa = O; !;
"O, Lakshmana! Having promised to make our father's wish a reality. What shall I do with the kingdom by acquiring an ill-fame in killing Bharata who came here to see me?"
यद्द्रव्यं बान्दवानां वा मित्राणां वाक्षये भवत् |
नाहं तप्त्प्रतिगृह्णीयां भक्षान्विषकृतानिव २-९७-४
4. yat dravyam = which wealth; bhavat = will come into existence; kSaye = in destroying; baandhavaanaam vaa = the relatives; mitraaNaam vaa = or companions; aham = I; na pratigR^ihNiiyaam = will not partake; tat = it; viSakR^itaan iva = like poisoned; bhakSaan = food.
"I should not enjoy the spoils obtained by slaying a relative or friend, like the partaking of a poisoned food."
धर्ममर्थं च कामं च पृथिवीं चापि लक्षण |
इच्छामि भवतामर्थे एतत् प्रतिशृणोमि ते || २-९७-५
5. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana!; bhavataam = arthe = It is for your sake; ichchhaami = I desire; dharmam = virue; artham cha = (legitimately acquired) wealth; kaamam cha = and pleasure; pR^ithiviimchaapi = or even earth itself; pratishR^iNomi = I promise; etat = this; te = to you.
"O, Lakshmana! It is for your sake I desire virtue, legitimately acquired wealth and pleasure or even the earth itself. I promise this to you."
भ्रातृइणां संग्रहार्थं च सुखार्थं चापि लक्ष्मण |
राज्यमप्यहमिच्छामि सत्येनायुधमालभे || २-९७-६
6. lakSmaNa = O; Lashmana; aham = I; ichchhami = desire; raajyamapi = the throne only; samgrahaartham = for the protection; sukhaartham chaapi = and happiness; bhraatR^iiNaam = of my brothers; aalabhe = I touch; satyma = in vow; aayudham = my weapon.
"O, Lakshmana! I desire the throne only for the protection and happiness of my brothers. I touch my weapon and swear this fact."
नेयं मम मही सौम्य दुर्लभा सागराम्बरा |
न हीच्छेयमधर्मेण शक्रत्वमपि लक्ष्मण || २-९७-७
7. iyam = this earth; saagaraambaraa = bounded by the sea; na = is not; mama = to me; durlabhaa = hard to obtain; lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana; saumya = the excellent man!; na ichchheyam hi = I do not indeed desire; shakratvamapi = even the position of Indra; adharmeNa = by unrighteousness.
"This earth, bounded by the sea is not hard to obtain for me, O the excellent man! I do not indeed wish even the position of Indra by unrighteousness."
यद्विना भरतं त्वां च शत्रुघ्नं चापि मानद |
भवेन्मम सुखं किंचिद्भस्म तत्कुरुतां शिखी || २-९७-८
8. yat tat = If there be; kimchit sukham = and happiness; mama bhavet = that I could obtain; vinaa bharatam = without Bharata; tvaam cha = or you; shatrughnam chaapi = or without Shatrughna; tat kurutaam = may it be made; bhasma = to ashes; shikhii = by fire; maanada = O; Lakshamana the honour-giver!
"If there be happiness that I could enjoy without Bharata or you or without Shatrughna, may it be without Shatrughna, may it be burnt to ashes by fire, O the honour-giver!"
मन्येऽहमागतोऽयेध्यां भरतो भ्रातृवत्सलः |
मम प्राणात्र्पियतरः कुलधर्ममनुस्मरन् || २-९७-९
श्रुत्वा प्रव्राजितं मां हि जटावल्कलधारिणम् |
जानक्यासहितं वीर त्वया च पुरुषर्षभ || २-९७-१०
स्नेहेनाक्रान्तहृदयः शिकेनाकुलितेन्द्रियः |
द्रष्टुमभ्यागतो ह्येष भरतो नान्यथऽऽगतः || २-९७-११
9;10;11. aham = I;manye = think; bharataH = Bharata; aagataH = returned; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; bhratR^ivatsalaH = full of affection for his brothers; priyataraH = he is dearer; mama = to me; praaNaat = than my life; anusmaram = he who is mindful; kuladharmam = of the duties of his race; shrutvaa = hearing; pravraajitam = of my exile; jaTaavalkala dhaariNam = and that I was weraing matted locks and the antelope skin; sahitam = accompanied; jaanakyaa = by Janaki; tvayaacha = and you; viira = O; valiant; puruSarSabha = the most excellent among men!; snehena = in his companionship towards me; shokena = and by the distress; aakraanta hR^idayaH = that troubles his mind; akulitendriyaH = and with perplexed senses; eSaH = his; bharataH = Bharata; abhyaagataH = has come; draSTum = to see; (me); na aagataH = he has not come; anyathaa = for any other purpose.
"I think Bharata was back to Ayodhya, with full of affection for his brothers. He is dearer to me than my life- he who is mindful of the duties of his race. Hearing of my exile and that I was wearing matted locks and the antelope skin, accompanied by Seetha and you, O most valiant of warriors, in his devotion towards me and due to the distress that troubles his mind, Bharata has come to see me. He has not come with any other motive."
अम्बाअं च कैकयीं रुष्य परुषं चाप्रियं वदन् |
प्रसाद्य पितरं स्रीमान् राज्यं मे दातुमागतः || २-९७-१२
12. shriimaan = the glorious Bharata; ruSya = enraged; ambaam = with his mother; kaikeyaam = Kaikeyi; vadan = speaking paruSam = harshly; apriyamcha = and unkindly; prasaadya = got cleared; pitaram = by our father; aagataH = and came; daatum = to bestow; raajyam = kingdom; me = to me.
"Getting angry with Kaikeyi his mother and speaking unkind and harsh words to her, the glorious Bharata after getting permission from our further, came here to bestow kingdom to me."
प्राप्त कालम् यद् एषो अस्मान् भरतो द्रष्टुम् इग्च्छति |
अस्मासु मनसा अप्य् एष न अहितम् किंचिद् आचरेत् || २-९७-१३
13. praapta kaalam = this is the proper time; eSaH bharataH = for this Bharata; yat draSTum = ichchhati = to wish to see; asmaan = us; naacharet = he does not behave; manasena api = or even think; kimchit = even a little; apriyam = unkindly; asmaasu = towards us.
"This is the proper time for Bharata to come here and see us. He does not behave or even think unkindly towards us."
विप्रियम् कृत पूर्वम् ते भरतेन कदा न किम् |
ईदृशम् वा भयम् ते अद्य भरतम् यो अत्र शन्कसे || २-९७-१४
14. kim = whether; vipriyam = (any) harm or; iidR^isham = such; bhayam vaa = a frightful thing; kR^ita puurvam- was done previously; bharatena = by Bharata; kadaa = at any time; te yaH = that you; shaNkase = are apprehending; bhaatam = about Bharata; adya = now; atra = here.
"Has Bharata at any time done any harm to you previously? What so the reason for you to be so apprehensive of Bharata now?"
न हि ते निष्ठुरम् वाच्यो भरतो न अप्रियम् वचः |
अहम् ह्य् अप्रियम् उक्तः स्याम् भरतस्य अप्रिये कृते || २-९७-१५
15. te = for you; bharataH = Bharata; na vaachya = is not to be spoken of; niSThuram = harshly; na = nor; apriyam = a disagreeble; vachaH = word; kR^ite apriyam = If an affront is offered; bharatasya = to bharata; aham = I (myself); syaam hi = will become; uktaH = spoken; apriyum = of unpleasantness.
"Indeed, Bharata must not hear harsh or disagreeable word from your lips. If an affront is offered to him, it is offered to me!"
कथम् नु पुत्राः पितरम् हन्युः कस्यांचिद् आपदि |
भ्राता वा भ्रातरम् हन्यात् सौमित्रे प्राणम् आत्मनः || २-९७-१६
16. saumitra = O; Lakshma!; katham nu = How should; putraaH = sons; hamyuH = strike; pitaram = their father; kasyaam chit aapadi = (even) in anydistress; bhraataaraa = or a brother; hanyaat = strike; bhraataram = a brother; aatmanaH praaNam = who is as dear to him as his life?
"O, Lakshmana! How should a son strike his father, even in a distress or a brother strike a brother who is as dear to him as his life?"
यदि राज्यस्य हेतोः त्वम् इमाम् वाचम् प्रभाषसे |
वक्ष्यामि भरतम् दृष्ट्वा राज्यम् अस्मै प्रदीयताम् || २-९७-१७
17. tvam prabhaase yadi = If you are speaking; imaam vaacham = these words; raajyasya heto = for the sake of the kingdom; dR^iSTvaa = after seeing; bharatam = Bharata; vakSyaami = I shall tell; asai = him; pradiiyataam = to give; raajyam = the kingdom.
"If you are uttering these words for the sake of the kingdom, I shall tell Bharata to give the kingdom to you, when I see him."
उच्यमानो हि भरतो मया लक्ष्मण तत्त्वतः |
राज्यम् अस्मै प्रयग्च्छ इति बाढम् इत्य् एव वक्ष्यति || २-९७-१८
18. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana!; uchyamaanaH = after being told; iti = that; prayachchha = to give; raajyam = the kingdom; asmai = to him; tattvataH = really; vakSyati = he will say; baaDham ityeva = "So be it".
"O, Lakshmana! When Bharata receives this command from me, "Cede the empire to him", he will answer, So, be it."
तथा उक्तो धर्म शीलेन भ्रात्रा तस्य हिते रतः |
लक्ष्मणः प्रविवेश इव स्वानि गात्राणि लज्जया || २-९७-१९
19. tathaa = thus; uktaH = spoken; dharma shiilena = by his honourable; bhraatraa = brother; tsya = to whom; hite rataaH = he was devoted; lakSmaNa = ; lajjayaa = abashed; pravivesheva = as though sinking; svaam = into his; gaatraaNi = limbs.
At these words spoken by his honourable brother, to whom he was devoted, abashed, shrank into himself.
तद्वाक्यं लक्ष्मणः श्रुत्वा व्रीशितः प्रत्युवाच ह |
त्व मन्ये द्रष्टुमायातः पिता दशरथः स्वयम् || २-९७-२०
20. shrutvaa = listening; tadvaakyam = to these words; lakSmaNaH = Lakshman; vriiLitaH = ashamed; pratyuvaacha ha = answered; manye = i think; pitaa = that our father; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; aayataH = came; draSTum = to see; tvaa = you; svayam = himself.
Listening to these words ashamed, answered: "I think that our father Dasaratha came here to see you himself."
व्रीडितम् लक्ष्मणम् दृष्ट्वा राघवः प्रत्युवाच ह |
एष मन्ये महा बाहुर् इह अस्मान् द्रष्टुम् आगतः || २-९७-२१
21. dR^iSTvaa = observing; vriiDitam = the emberassed; lakSmaNam = lakshman; raaghavaH = Rama; pratyuvaacha ha = replied; manye = I think; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; eSaH = Dasaratha; aagataH = came; iham = here; draSTum = to see; asmaan = us.
Observing the emberassed , Rama said, "I think the mighty armed Dasaratha came here to see us."
अथवा नौ ध्रुवं मन्ये मन्यमानः सुखोचितौ |
वन वासम् अनुध्याय गृहाय प्रतिनेष्यति || २-९७-२२
22. athavaa = or rather; manye dhruam = i think surely; manyamaanaH = as he knows; nau = that we; sukhochitau = have been accustomed to comfort; anudhyaaya = reflecting; vanavaasam = that we are dwelling in the forest; pratineSyati = he wishes to bring us; gR^ihaaya = home.
"Or rather, to my mind, as he knows that we have been accustomed to comfort, reflecting that we are dwelling in the forest, he wishes to take us home."
इमाम् वा अप्य् एश वैदेहीम् अत्यन्त सुख सेविनीम् |
एतौ तौ सम्प्रकाशेते गोत्रवन्तौ मनो रमौ || २-९७-२३
23. shriimaan = the glorious; eSaH raaghavaH = Dasaratha; me pitaa = my father; yaasyati = will go; aadaaya = taking back; imaam = this; vaidehiim vaa = Seetha possibly; vanaat = from the forest; atyanta sukha seviniim = she who has ever lived in the heart of prosperity.
"The glorious Dasaratha, my father possibly will take back Seetha from the forest, she who has ever lived in the heart of prosperity."
एतौ तौ संप्रकाशेते गोत्रवन्तौ मनोरमौ |
वायु वेग समौ वीर जवनौ तुरग उत्तमौ || २-९७-२४
24. viira = O; warrior!; tau = those two; etau = this; turagothamau = excellent horses; gotravantau = of noble breed; manoramau = attractively; vaayuvega samsu = vying with the wind; jananau = in swiftness.
"O, warrior! See those two excellent horses of noble breed, shining attractively and vying with the wind in swiftness."
स एष सुमहा कायः कम्पते वाहिनी मुखे |
नागः शत्रुम्जयो नाम वृद्धः तातस्य धीमतः || २-९७-२५
25. eSaH = here is; saH = that; mahaakaayaH = colossal; naagaH = elephant; kampate = who is moving; vaahiniimukhe = at the head of the army; shatruNjayo naama = called Shatrumjaya; vR^iddhaH = the aged; (companion); dhiimataH = of our sagacious; taatasya = father.
"Here is that colossal elephant who is moving at the head of the army called Shatrunjaya, the aged companion of our sagacious father."
न तु पश्यामि तच्छत्रं पाण्डरं लोकसत्कृअम् |
पितुर्दिव्यं महाबाहो संशयो भवतीह मे २-९७-२६
26. mahaa baaho = O; the mighty armed !; na pashyaami = I do not see; tat chhatramtu = paaNDaram = that white canopy; divyam = the heavenly one; loka satkR^itam = well-known in the world; me = to me; samshayaH = an apprehension; iha = on this point; bhavati = is created.
"O, the mighty armed! But I do not see that white heavenly canopy of our father, well known insignia in the world. An apprehension on this point is created in my mind."
वृक्षाग्रादवरोह त्वं कुरु लक्ष्म्मण मद्वचः |
इतीव रामो धर्मात्मा सौमित्रिं तमुवाच ह || २-९७-२७
27. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana !; tvam = you; avaroha = get down; vR^ikSaagraat = from the top of the tree; kuru = act; madvachaH = on my word; itiiva = thus; uvaacha ha = spoke; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous; raamaH = Rama; tam saumitraim = to that .
"O, Lakshmana! You get down from the top of the tree. Act on my word." Thus spoke the virtuous Rama to that Lakshmana.
अवतीर्य तु साल अग्रात् तस्मात् स समितिम् जयः |
लक्ष्मणः प्रान्जलिर् भूत्वा तस्थौ रामस्य पार्श्वतः || २-९७-२८
28. avatiirya desending; tasmaat = fromt hat; saalaagraat = top of Sala tree; saH lakSmanaH = that ; samitinjayaH = the victorious in battle; bhuutvaa = becoming; praaNjaliH = one with joined palms; tasthau = stood; paarshvataH = by the side; raamasya = of Rama.
Descending from the top of that Sala tree, Lakshmana the victorious in battle, with joined palms, stood by the side of Rama.
भरतेन अथ संदिष्टा सम्मर्दो न भवेद् इति |
समन्तात् तस्य शैलस्य सेना वासम् अकल्पयत् || २-९७-२९
29. samdiSTaa = commanded; bharatenaapi = by Bharata; iti = that; na sammardaH = no trampling; bhavet = should be made; (in the hermitage of Rama); senaa = by the army; akalpayat aavaasam = which encamped; samantaat = round; tasya shailasya = that mountain.
Commanded by Bharata that no trampling of army should be made in the hermitage of Rama, the army was encamped round the mountain.
अध्यर्धम् इष्क्वाकु चमूर् योजनम् पर्वतस्य सा |
पार्श्वे न्यविशद् आवृत्य गज वाजि रथ आकुला || २-९७-३०
30. saa = that; ikSvaakuchamuuH = royal army of Ikshvaku race; gaja vaaji rathaakulaa = crowded iwth elephants; horses and chariots; nyavishat = was encamped; aavR^itya = around; paarshve = the edge; parvatasya = of the mountain; adhyardham youjanam = occupying; an area of one Yojana and a half.
That royal army of Ikshvaku race, crowded with elephants horses and chariots was encamped around the edge of the mountain occupying an area of one Yojana and a half.
सा चित्र कूटे भरतेन सेना |
धर्मम् पुरः कृत्य विधूय दर्पम् |
प्रसादन अर्थम् रघु नन्दनस्य |
विरोचते नीतिमता प्रणीता || २-९७-३१
31. saa senaa = that army; praNiitaa = brought; bharatena = by Bharata; niitimatena = the virtuous; vidhuuya = having laid aside; darpam = his arrogance; puraskR^itya = placing in forefront; dharmam = the righteousness; prasanaartham = in order to propitiate; raghunandanasya = Rama; viraajite = showed itself to be disciplined; chitrakuuTe = in the vicinity of Chitrakuta.
Brought by the virtuous Bharata, who laid aside his arrogance, placing the righteousness in forefront in order to propitiate Rama, that army showed itself to be disciplined in the vicinity of Chitrakuta.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायने आदिकावे अयोध्याकाण्डे सप्तनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2004, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
verse and locator
transferred by Go FTP FREE Software