Travelling for a long time, Bharata and his army reach Chitrakuta mountain. Bharata Chitrakuta mountain. Bharata appreciates the beauty of that place and identifies it as an abode of ascetics. He instructs his soldiers to explore the woods and find out where Rama and Lakshmana are living. Valiant men penetrate into the forest and pursuing their search, they observe a plume of smoke rising at some distance and concluding the site to be the hermitage of Rama. Bharata commands his army to halt and decides to walk with Sumantra and Dhriti his spiritual preceptor to Rama's hermitage.
तया महत्या यायिन्या ध्वजिन्या वन वासिनः |
अर्दिता यूथपा मत्ताः सयूथाः सम्प्रदुद्रुवुः || २-९३-१
1. tayaa mahatyaa dhvajinyaa = By that large army; yaayinyaa = on the march; mattaaH = the intoxicated; yuuthapaaH = leaders of the herds of beasts; vanavaasinaH = the denizens of the woods; ardhitaaH = were frightened; sampradudruvuH = and ran away together; sayuuthaaH = with their troops.
Seeing that large army on the march, the herds of beasts with their leaders, the denizens of the woods were frightened and ran away together.
ऋक्षाः पृषत सम्घाः च रुरवः च समन्ततः |
दृश्यन्ते वन राजीषु गिरिषु अपि नदीषु च || २-९३-२
2. R^ikSaaH = bears; pR^iSatasaN^ghaashcha = dappled deer; ruravashcha = and antelopes; dR^ishyante = could be seen; samantataH = everywhere; vana raajiiSu = on the tracks of the forest; giriSvapi = on the hills; nadiiSu = and by the rivers.
Bears, dappled deer and antelopes could be seen every where, on the tracks of the forest, on the hills and by the rivers.
स सम्प्रतस्थे धर्म आत्मा प्रीतो दशरथ आत्मजः |
वृतो महत्या नादिन्या सेनया चतुर् अन्गया || २-९३-३
3. saH = that; dharmaatmaa = pious minded; dasharathaatmajaH = Bharata; priitaH = greacefully; sampratastha = marched ahead; vR^itaH = surrounded; naadinyaa = by the clamorous; mahatyaa = large; senayaa = army; ChaturaN^gayaa = of four divisions.
That pious minded Bharata gracefully marched ahead, surrounded by that clamorous army of four divisions.
सागर ओघ निभा सेना भरतस्य महात्मनः |
महीम् संचादयाम् आस प्रावृषि द्याम् इव अम्बुदः || २-९३-४
4. senaa = the army; mahaatmanaH = of the magnanimous; bharatasya = Bharata; saagraughanibha = which resembled the high tide of an ocean; samchhaadayaamaasa = covered; mahiim = the earth; ambudaH iva = as clouds; dyaam = the sky; praavR^iSi = in a rainy season.
The army, of the magnanimous Bharata, which resembled the high tide of an ocean, covered the earth as clouds cover the sky in a rainy season.
तुरम्ग ओघैर् अवतता वारणैः च महा जवैः |
अनालक्ष्या चिरम् कालम् तस्मिन् काले बभूव भूः || २-९३-५
5. avatataa = Submerged; turaNgoghaiH = by the waves of horses; vaaraNaishcha = and elephants; mahaajavaiH = of great speed; tasminkaale = at that time; bhuuH = the earth; babhuuva = became; anaalakSyaa = invisible; Chirakaalam = for a long time.
Submerged by the waves of horses and elephants of great speed at that time, the earth became invisible for a long time.
स यात्वा दूरम् अध्वानम् सुपरिश्रान्त वाहनः |
उवाच भरतः श्रीमान् वसिष्ठम् मन्त्रिणाम् वरम् || २-९३-६
6. yaatvaa = Having travelled; duuram = for a long adhvaanam = distance; sah = that shriimaan = glorious; bhaarataH = Bharata; suparishraanta vaahanaH = whose animals were fully exhausted; uvaacha = said; vasiSTham = to Vasishta; varam = the most segacious; mantriNaam = of his counsellors.
Having travelled for a long distance, that glorious Bharata, whose animals were now fully exhausted, said to Vasishta, the most segaceios of his counsellors (as follows)
यादृशम् लक्ष्यते रूपम् यथा चैव श्रुतम् मया |
व्यक्तम् प्राप्ताः स्म तम् देशम् भरद्वाजो यम् अब्रवीत् || २-९३-७
7. yaadR^isham = Whatever; ruupam = feature; lakSyate = is observed; yathaa = and from what; shrutamchaiva = has been heard; mayaa = by me; yam = about which area; bharadvaajaH = Bharadwaja; abraviit = spoke; vyaktam = it is clear; praaptaaH sma = we reached; desham = that area.
"Looking at the features of the pace and from what has been heard by me, it is clear that we reached that area of which Bharadwaja spoke."
अयम् गिरिः चित्र कूटः तथा मन्दाकिनी नदी |
एतत् प्रकाशते दूरान् नील मेघ निभम् वनम् || २-९३-८
8. ayam = this; giriH = mountain; chitrakuuTaH = is Chitrakuta; iyam nadii = this river; mandaakinii = is Mandakini; etat = this; vanam = forest; prakaashate = is appearing; niila meghanibham = like a blue cloud; duuraat = from a distance.
"This mountain is Chitrakuta. This river is Mandakini. This forest is appearing like a blue cloud from a distance."
गिरेः सानूनि रम्याणि चित्र कूटस्य सम्प्रति |
वारणैर् अवमृद्यन्ते मामकैः पर्वत उपमैः || २-९३-९
9. samprati = Now; maamakaiH vaaraNaiH = by my elephants; parvatopamaiH = appearing like mountains; ramyaaNi = the lovely; saanuuni = peaks; gireH = of the moutain; chitrakuuTasya = Chitrakuta; avamR^idyante = are being trampled.
"By my elephants appearing themselves like mountains, the lovely peaks of Chitrakuta mountain are being trampled."
मुन्चन्ति कुसुमान्य् एते नगाः पर्वत सानुषु |
नीला इव आतप अपाये तोयम् तोय धरा घनाः || २-९३-१०
10. ete = these; nagaaH = trees; parvata saanuSu = on the peaks of the mountain; muN^chaanti = are showering; kusumaani = flowers; iva = like; niilaa = black; ghanaaH = and intense; toyadharaaH = clouds; toyam iva = (Pour) water; aatapaapaaye = in a rainy season.
"These trees on the peaks of the mountain are shedding flowers, as black and intense clouds shower water in a rainy season."
किन्नर आचरित उद्देशम् पश्य शत्रुघ्न पर्वतम् |
हयैः समन्ताद् आकीर्णम् मकरैर् इव सागरम् || २-९३-११
11. pashya = Behold; shatraghna = O; Shatraghna!; parvatam = (this) mountain; kinnaraacharitam = frequented by Kinnaras; aakiirNam = teaming with; hayaiH = horses; samantaat = on every side; saagaram iva = as a sea; (is infested); makaraiH = by allegators.
"Behold, O Shatrughna, this mountain, (hitherto) frequented by Kinnaras, now teaming with horses on every side, as a sea is infested by allegators."
एते मृग गणा भान्ति शीघ्र वेगाः प्रचोदिताः |
वायु प्रविद्धाः शरदि मेघ राज्य इव अम्बरे || २-९३-१२
12. ete = these; mR^igagaNaaH = herds of antelopes; shiighravegaaH = having a rapid speed; prachoditaaH = as incited(by the troops); bhaanti = appear; megharaajiriva = like a mass of clouds; vaayupraviddhaa = driven before the wind; ambare = in the sky; sharadi = in autumn.
"These herds of antelopes, having a rapid speed, as urged forward (by the troops) appear like a mass of clouds driven by the wind in the sky in antumn."
कुर्वन्ति कुसुम आपीडान् शिरह्सु सुरभीन् अमी |
मेघ प्रकाशैः फलकैर् दाक्षिणात्या यथा नराः || २-९३-१३
13. amii = these trees; phalakaiH = with their leaves; megha prakaashaiH = in multitude dazzling; shirassu = crowned; surabhiin = with fragrant; kusuma piiDaan = Chaplets of flowers; naraaH yathaa = resemble the people; daakSinaatyaaH = of the south.
"Those tree, with their leaves in multitude dazzling, crowned with fragrant chaplets of flowers, resemble the people of the south."
निष्कूजम् इव भूत्वा इदम् वनम् घोर प्रदर्शनम् |
अयोध्या इव जन आकीर्णा सम्प्रति प्रतिभाति मा || २-९३-१४
14. idam vanam = this forest; bhuutvaa = which was niSkuujaniva = silent; ghora pradarshanam = and wore a terrifying look (till now); samprati = now; pratibhaati = appears; me = to me; ayodhyeva = like Ayodhya; janaakiirNaa = swarming with people.
"This forest, which was silent and wore a terrifying look till now, appears to me like Ayodhya, swarning with people."
खुरैर् उदीरितो रेणुर् दिवम् प्रग्च्छाद्य तिष्ठति |
तम् वहत्य् अनिलः शीघ्रम् कुर्वन्न् इव मम प्रियम् || २-९३-१५
15. reNuH = the dust; udiiritaH = raised; khuraiH = from the hooves of the horses; prachchhaadya tiSThati = blots out; divam = the heavens; anilah = but the winds; tam vahati = carries it away; shiighram = immediately; kurvam iva = as if to give; mama = me; priyam = pleasure.
"The dust raised from the hooves of the horses blots out the heavens, but the wind carries it away immediately as if to give me pleasure."
स्यन्दनामः तुरग उपेतान् सूत मुख्यैर् अधिष्ठितान् |
एतान् सम्पततः शीघ्रम् पश्य शत्रुघ्न कानने || २-९३-१६
16. pashya = Behold; shatrughna = O; Shatrughna!; etaan = these; syandanaan = chariots; turagopetaan = yoked with horses; adhiSThitaan = and mounted; suutamukhyaiH = by the chief charioteers; sampatataH = are rushing together; shiighram = rapidly; kaanane = in the forest.
"Behold, O Shatrughna, these chariots yoked with horses and mounted by the chief charioteers are rushing together rapidly in the forest."
एतान् वित्रासितान् पश्य बर्हिणः प्रिय दर्शनान् |
एतम् आविशतः शैलम् अधिवासम् पतत्रिणाम् || २-९३-१७
17. pashya = behold; etaan = these; barhiNaH = peacocks; patatriNaH = and birds; priya darshanaan = which are pleasant to the sight; vitraasitaan = are frightedned; aavishataH = and are entering; etam = these; adhivaasam = dwelling places; shiighram = hastily.
"Behold these peacocks and birds, which are pleasant to the sight, are frightened and are entering their dwelling places hastily."
अतिमात्रम् अयम् देशो मनोज्नः प्रतिभाति मा |
तापसानाम् निवासो अयम् व्यक्तम् स्वर्ग पथो यथा || २-९३-१८
18. ayam deshaH = this place; pratibhaati = is appearing; atimaatram = very much; manojN^aH = beautiful; me = to me; svarga pathoyathaa = Resembling in every way like a threshold of heaven; ayam = it; vyaktam = is clearly; niraasaH = an abode; taapasaanaam = of asceics.
"This place to me is appearing very much lovely. Resembling in every way like a threshold of heaven, it is clearly an abode of ascetics."
मृगा मृगीभिः सहिता बहवः पृषता वने |
मनोज्न रूपा लक्ष्यन्ते कुसुमैर् इव चित्रितः || २-९३-१९
19. vane = In this forest; bahavaH = many; vR^iSataaH = dappled; mR^igaaH = deer; sahitaaH = with; mR^igiibhiH = their hinds; manojJNaruupaaH = endowed with enchanting forms; lakSyante = are seen; chitritaa iva = as if studded; kusumaiH = with flowers.
"In this forest, many dappled deer with their hinds, endowed with enchanting forms, are seen as if studded with flowers."
साधु सैन्याः प्रतिष्ठन्ताम् विचिन्वन्तु च काननम् |
यथा तौ पुरुष व्याघ्रौ दृश्येते राम लक्ष्मणौ || २-९३-२०
20. sainyaaH = (Let) the soldiers; pratiSThantaam = proceed; saadhu = well; yathaa = as; vichinvantu cha = to explore; kaanane = the woods; dR^ishyate = to find; tau puruSa vyaaghrau = those tigers among men; raamalakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana.
"Let the soldiers proceed quickly to explore the woods to find those tigers among men, Rama and Lakshamana."
भरतस्य वचः श्रुत्वा पुरुषाः शस्त्र पाणयः |
विविशुः तद् वनम् शूरा धूमम् च ददृशुः ततः || २-९३-२१
21. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; bharatasya = of Bharata; shuuraaH = valiant; puruSaaH = men; shastra paaNayaH = wearing weapons in their hands; vivishuH = entered; tat = that; vanam = forest; tataH = and then; dadhR^ishushcha = also saw; dhuumam = and smoke.
Hearing the words of Bharata, valiant men wearing weapons in their hands, penetrated into the forest suddenly they observed a plume of smoke rising.
ते समालोक्य धूम अग्रम् ऊचुर् भरतम् आगताः |
न अमनुष्ये भवत्य् अग्निर् व्यक्तम् अत्र एव राघवौ || २-९३-२२
22. samaalokya = seeing; dhuumaagram = that spiral of smoke; te = they; aagataaH = returned; bharatam = to Bharata; uuchuH = and said; na bhavati = there can be no; agniH = fire; amanuSye = in a deserted place; vyaktam = Assuredly; raaghavau = Rama and Lakshmana; atraiva = are there.
Seeing that spiral of smoke, they returned to bharata and said; "There can be no fire in a deserted place. Assuredly, Rama and Lakshmana are there."
अथ न अत्र नर व्याघ्रौ राज पुत्रौ परम् तपौ |
अन्ये राम उपमाः सन्ति व्यक्तम् अत्र तपस्विनः || २-९३-२३
23. atha = If it be; na = not; naravyaaghrau = those two tigers among men; raajaputrau = the two princes; paramtapau = the scourges of their foes; atra = here; vyaktam = obviously; samti = there are; anye = other; tapasvinaH = ascetics; raamopamaaH = like Rama; atra = here.
"If it be not those two tigers among men, the two princes, the scourger of their foes here, obviously there are other ascetics like Rama here."
तत् श्रुत्वा भरतः तेषाम् वचनम् साधु सम्मतम् |
सैन्यान् उवाच सर्वामः तान् अमित्र बल मर्दनः || २-९३-२४
24. shrttvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; saadhu sammatam = concurred even by pious men; bharataH = Bharata; amitra bala mardanaH = the destroyer of enemy's forces; uvaacha = spoke; taan = sarvaan sainyaan = to that entire army (as follows)
Hearing those words concurred even by pious men, Bharata the destroyer of enemy's forces, spoke to the entire army (as follows)
यत् ता भवन्तः तिष्ठन्तु न इतो गन्तव्यम् अग्रतः |
अहम् एव गमिष्यामि सुमन्त्रो गुरुर् एव च || २-९३-२५
25. 25. tiSThantu = stay(here); bhavantaH = you; yathaaH = vigilantly; na gantavyam = do no proceed; agrataH = any further; itaH = from here; aharneva = I alone; gamiSyaami = will go; sumantraH = (along with) Sumantra; dhR^itrireva cha = and also my spiritual preceptor; Driti.
"You stay here vigilantly. Do no proceed any further. I alone will go along with Sumantra and also Dhriti, my spiritual preceptor."
एवम् उक्ताः ततः सर्वे तत्र तस्थुः समन्ततः |
भरतो यत्र धूम अग्रम् तत्र दृष्टिम् समादधत् || २-९३-२६
26. uktaaH = spoken; evam = thus; sarve = all of them; tasthuH = stayed; tatra = there; tataH = then; (and); bharataH = Bharata; dR^iSTim = his gaze; samaadadhaat = fixed; tatra = there; yatra = where; dhuumaagram = there is column of smoke.
On this command, all the troops halted there and Bharat with his gaze fixed on the column of smoke, went forward.
व्यवस्थिता या भरतेन सा चमूर् |
निरीक्षमाणा अपि च धूमम् अग्रतः |
बभूव हृष्टा नचिरेण जानती |
प्रियस्य रामस्य समागमम् तदा || २-९३-२७
27. chaamuH = the army; yaa = which; vyaavasthitaa = was ordered to remain(there); bharatena = by Bharata; niriikSa maaNaapi = even though perceiving bhuumi = the place; agrataH = before them; babhuuva = felt; tadaa = then; hR^iSTaa = rejoiced; jaanatii = in the thought; samaagamam = of return; priyasya raamasya = of their beloved Rama; nachireNa = soon.
The army, which was held up there by Bharata, eventhough perceiving the place ahead, felt rejoiced in the thought of meeting their beloved Rama soon.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे त्रिनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2004, K. M. K. Murthy