Bharata along with Vasishta proceed to see Bharadwaja. Bharadwaja welcomes both of them hospitable. After exchanging pleasantries Bharadwaja asks Bharata whether he is coming to the forest to do any harm to Rama and Lakshmana. Bharata replies that he is coming to the forest for the purpose of taking back Rama to Ayodhya. When enquired by Bharata about the whereabouts of Rama, Bharadwaja informs that Rama along with Seetha and Lakshmana are staying on the chitrakuta mountain. Thereafter, at the request of Bharadwaja, Bharata along with his routine decides to make a night halt on that day at that hermitage and to proceed to Chitrakuta on the following morning.
द्भरद्वाज आश्रमम् दृष्ट्वा क्रोशाद् एव नर ऋषभः |
बलम् सर्वम् अवस्थाप्य जगाम सह मन्त्रिभिः || २-९०-१
पद्भ्याम् एव हि धर्मज्नो न्यस्त शस्त्र परिग्च्छदः |
वसानो वाससी क्षौमे पुरोधाय पुरोहितम् || २-९०-२
1; 2. dR^iSTvaa = having seen; bharadwaajaashramam = Bharadwaja's hermitage; kroshaadeva = at a couple of miles away; nararshaabhaH = that excellent man; dharmajJNaH = knowing what is right; avasthaapya = leaving; sarvam = all; balam = his army; nyasta shastra parichchhadaH = discarding his weapons and ornaments; vasaanaH = wearing; kshhaume vaasasii = simple silken garment; jagaama = went forwards; padbhyaam eva = by foot; purodhaaya = proceeded by; purodhanam = Vasishta; his spiritual preceptor.
Having seen Bharadwaja's hermitage at a couple of miles away, that excellent man Bharata, knowing what is right, leaving all his army behind, discarding his weapons and ornaments, and wearing simple silken garment, went forwards by foot, proceeded by Vasishta, his spiritual preceptor.
ततः संदर्शने तस्य भरद्वाजस्य राघवः |
मन्त्रिणः तान् अवस्थाप्य जगाम अनु पुरोहितम् || २-९०-३
3. avasthaapya = leaving behind; taam mantriNaH = those ministers; samdarshana = at a visible distance to Bharadwaja; raaghavaH = Bharata; tataH = then; jagaama = went; anupurohitam = along with Vasista; his spiritual preceptor
Leaving his ministers behind at a visible distance to Bharadwaja, Bharata then went along with Vasishta, his spiritual preceptor.
वसिष्ठम् अथ दृष्ट्वा एव भरद्वाजो महा तपाः |
संचचाल आसनात् तूर्णम् शिष्यान् अर्घ्यम् इति ब्रुवन् || २-९०-४
4. atha = then; dR^iSTvaiva = on seeing; vasiSTham = Vasishta; bhararadvaajaH = Bharadwaja; mahaatapaaH = the great ascetic; samchachaala = rose; tuurNam = quickly; aasamaat = from his seat; bruvan = asking; shiSyaan = his disciples; arghyam iti = to fetch water to wash the hands (of the distinguished guests) with.
On seeing Vasishta, Bharadwaja the great ascetic rose quickly from his seat, asking his disciples to fetch water to wash the hand (of the distinguished guests) with.
समागम्य वसिष्ठेन भरतेन अभिवादितः |
अबुध्यत महा तेजाः सुतम् दशरथस्य तम् || २-९०-५
5. mahaatejaaH = Bharadwaja of great splendour; samaagamya = having met; vasiSThena = Vasishta; abhivaaditaH = and hvaing been offered salutation; bharatena = by Bharata; abudhyata = recognized; tam = him; dasharathasya = as Dasaratha's sutam = son.
Having met Vasishta and greeted by Bharata, Bharadwaja of great splendour recognized him to be a son of Dasaratha.
ताभ्याम् अर्घ्यम् च पाद्यम् च दत्त्वा पश्चात् फलानि च |
आनुपूर्व्याच् च धर्मज्नः पप्रग्च्छ कुशलम् कुले || २-९०-६
6. dharmajJNaH = Bharadwaja; who knows what is right; dattvaa = offering; taabhyaam = them both; anupuurvyaat = in order of seniority; arghyamcha paadyamcha = water to wash theri hands and feet with; pashchaat = and thereafter; phalaamicha = fruits as well; paprachchha = enquired; kushalan = about the welfare; kule = of their family.
Bharadwaja, knowing what is right, offering them both, in order of seniority, water to wash theri hands and feet with and fruits afterwards, made enquiries concerning the welfare of their family.
अयोध्यायाम् बले कोशे मित्रेषु अपि च मन्त्रिषु |
जानन् दशरथम् वृत्तम् न राजानम् उदाहरत् || २-९०-७
7. (Subsequently; Bharadwaja made enquires as to whether all were well) ayodhyaam = in ayodhya; bale = with the army; koshe = with the treasury; mitreSvagricha = friends and; mantriSu = counsellors; jaanan = but knowing; dasharatham = Dasaratha; vR^ittam = to be dead; nodaharaat = he did not speak; raajaanaam = of the king
Subsequently, Bharadwaja made enquires with both of them as to whether all were well in the city of Ayodhya, with the army, with the treasury, friends and counsellors. But knowing Dasaratha friends and counsellors. But knowing Dasaratha to be dead, he did not speak of the king.
वसिष्ठो भरतः च एनम् पप्रग्च्छतुर् अनामयम् |
शरीरे अग्निषु वृक्षेषु शिष्येषु मृग पक्षिषु || २-९०-८
8. vasiSTaH = Vasishta; bharatashcha = and Bharata; paprapachchhatuH = made enquiries; enam = with Bharadwaja; anaamayam = (if all were well) shariire = with his body; agniSu = his sacred fires; vR^iKSeSu = the trees; shiSyeSu = with his disciples; mR^iga pakSiSu = with the deer and birds
Vasishta and Bharata in return made enquires with Bharadwaja, if all were well with his body his sacred fires, his disciples, the trees, the deer and birds in the hermitage.
तथा इति च प्रतिज्नाय भरद्वाजो महा तपाः |
भरतम् प्रत्युवाच इदम् राघव स्नेह बन्धनात् || २-९०-९
9. mahaatapaaH = the great ascetic; bharadvaajaH = Bharadwaja; pratijJNaaya = replied; tata tatheti = "All is well"; uvaacha = and spoke; idam = these words; bharatam prati = to Bharata; raaghava sneha bandhaanaat = bound as he was with affection to Rama.
The great ascetic Bharadwaja replied, "All is well" and spoke the following words to Bharata, bound as he was with affection to Rama.
किम् इह आगमने कार्यम् तव राज्यम् प्रशासतः |
एतद् आचक्ष्व मे सर्वम् न हि मे शुध्यते मनः || २-९०-१०
10. kim = for what; kaaryam = reason; tava = have you; prashaasataH = who are ruling; raajyam = the kingdom aagamane = come; iha = here; aachakaSva = tell me = me; sarvam = all; etat = this; me = My; manaH = mind; na hishuddhyate = is not indeed not getting cleared (of all doubts)
"For what reason have you, who are ruling the kingdom, come here? Tell me all this, for my mind is not getting cleared of doubts."
सुषुवे यम मित्रघ्नम् कौसल्य आनन्द वर्धनम् |
भ्रात्रा सह सभार्यो यः चिरम् प्रव्राजितो वनम् || २-९०-११
नियुक्तः स्त्री नियुक्तेन पित्रा यो असौ महा यशाः |
वन वासी भव इति इह समाः किल चतुर्दश || २-९०-१२
कच्चिन् न तस्य अपापस्य पापम् कर्तुम् इह इग्च्छसि |
अकण्टकम् भोक्तु मना राज्यम् तस्य अनुजस्य च || २-९०-१३
11; 12 13. amitraghnam = that annihilator of enemies; suSuvo = born of; kausalyaa = Kausalya; aananda ardhanam = for the increase of her happiness; yaH = he who; bhraatraa saha = with his brother; sabhaaryaaH = and his wife; pravraajitaH = have been exiled; vanam = to the forest; chiram = for a long period; yaH asau = that Rama; mahaayashaaH = who is full of glory; striiniyuktena = throught the intrigues of a woman; niyuktaH = was condemned; iti = thus; bhava = to be; vanavaasii = living in the forest; chaturdasha = for fourteen; samaaH = years; pitraa = by his father; na ichchhasi = I hope you do not intend; kartum = to do; paapam = any harm; iha = now; tasya = to that; apaapasya = irreproachable prince; anujasyacha = and his younger brother; bhoktumanaaH = in order to enjoy; raajyam = the kingdom; akaN^Takam = without any hindrance.
"That annihilator of enemies, born of Kausalya for the increase of her happiness, he who with his brother and his wife have been exiled to the forest for a long period, that Rama who is full of glory, through the intrigues of a woman was condemned to dwell in the forest for fourteen years by his father. I hope you do not intend to do any harm to that irreproachable prince and his younger brother in order to enjoy the throne without hindrance."
एवम् उक्तो भरद्वाजम् भरतः प्रत्युवाच ह |
पर्यश्रु नयनो दुह्खाद् वाचा संसज्जमानया || २-९०-१४
14. evam = thus uktaH = spoken; bharataH = Bharata; paryashrunayanaH = with his eyes filled with tears; duHkhaat = due to grief; samsajjamaanayaa = in a faltering; vaachaa = tone; pratyuvaacha = replied; bharadvaajam = to Bharadwaja ( as follows).
"Thus spoken to as aforesaid, Bharata with his eyes filled with tears in grief and in a faltering tone, replied to Bharadwaja as follows:
हतो अस्मि यदि माम् एवम् भगवान् अपि मन्यते |
मत्तो न दोषम् आशन्केर् न एवम् माम् अनुशाधि हि || २-९०-१५
15. bhagavaanapi manyate yadi = if you the blessed one; regard; maam = me; evam = like this; hataH asmi = I am lost; na ashaNKe = I cannot conceive; doSam = of any harm; mattaH = having proceeded from me; na anushaastuhi = Do not charge; maam = me; evam = thus.
"If you the Blessed One, regard me like this, I am lost indeed! I cannot conceive of any harm towards Rama having proceeded from me. do not charge me thus."
न च एतद् इष्टम् माता मे यद् अवोचन् मद् अन्तरे |
नाहम् एतेन तुष्टः च न तद् वचनम् आददे || २-९०-१६
16. yat = what; me maataa = my mother; avochat = talked; madantare = when I was away from home; etat = that; na cha = is not; iSTam = liking to me; aham = I; na = am not; tuSTachcha = pleased; etena = by it; na aadade = I do not accept; tadvachanam = her words.
" I do not approve of what my mother has done when I was away from home. I am not pleased with her nor do I accept her word in this matter."
अहम् तु तम् नर व्याघ्रम् उपयातः प्रसादकः |
प्रतिनेतुम् अयोध्याम् च पादौ तस्य अभिवन्दितुम् || २-९०-१७
17. aham tu = I on my part; upayaataH = came; abhinanditum cha = to offer salutation; tasya paadau = to his fat; pratinetum = and to take back; tam = him; naravyaaghram = the tiger among men; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; prasaadakaH = after propitiating him.
"I, on my part, came to take back that tiger among men to Ayodhya, after prostrating myself at his feet and having propitiated him."
त्वम् माम् एवम् गतम् मत्वा प्रसादम् कर्तुम् अर्हसि |
शंस मे भगवन् रामः क्व सम्प्रति मही पतिः || २-९०-१८
18. bhaagavan = O; venerable One! matvaa = believing; maam = me; evam gatam = to have come (for the aforesaid purpose); tvam = you; arhasi = ought; kartum = to do; prasaadam = a favour; shamsa = tell; me = me; kva = where;raamaH = Rama; mahiipatiH = the lord of the world; (is to be found) samprati = now?
"O, venerable one! Believing me to have come for the aforesaid purpose, you ought to do a favour for me. Tell me where Rama the Lord of the world is to be found now?"
वशिष्ठादिभि ऋत्विग्भि र्याचितो भगवांस्ततः |
उवाच तम् भरद्वाजः प्रसादाद् भरतम् वचः || २-९०-१९
19. tataH = then; yaachitaH = requested; vashiSThaadibhiH = by Vasishta and others; R^itvigbhiH = Priests; bhagavaan = the blessed; bharadvaajaH = Bharadwaja; prasaadaat = in affectionate; vachaH = words ( as follows):
Requested by Vasishta and other priests likewise, Bharadwaja answered Bharata in affectionate words as follows:
त्वय्य् एतत् पुरुष व्याघ्रम् युक्तम् राघव वंशजे |
गुरु वृत्तिर् दमः चैव साधूनाम् च अनुयायिता || २-९०-२०
20. puruSavyaaghra = O Bharata the tiger among men!; tvyai = In you; raaghava vamshaje = who are born in the Raghu dynasty; guruvR^ittiH = good manners towards teachers; damashchaiva = self-control; anuyaayitaa = and following; saadhuunaam = virtuous men; (are all) yuktam = worthy of you.
"O, Bharata the tiger among men! Good manners towards teachers as well as self control and walking in the footsteps of virtuous men-these qualities are worthy of you, born as you are in the Raghu dynasty."
जाने च एतन् मनह्स्थम् ते दृढी करणम् अस्तु इति |
अपृग्च्छम् त्वाम् तव अत्यर्थम् कीर्तिम् समभिवर्धयन् || २-९०-२१
21. jaane cha = I was aware; etat = this (of your purpose) te manasstham = in your mind; (so that); apr^ichchham = I asked; tvaam = you; iti = in this manner; astu = there must be; dR^iDhiikaraNam = confirmation; strenghen; samabhivardhayan = and to strengthen; kiirtim = your fame; atyartham = immeasurably.
" I was aware of your purpose in your mind. But, I desired to confirm it and it is on this account that I asked you, in order to strengthen you fame immeasurably."
जाने च रामं धर्मज्ञं ससीतं सहलक्ष्मणम् |
असौ वसति ते भ्राता चित्र कूटे महा गिरौ || २-९०-२२
22. jaane cha = I know; (where); dharmajJNam = the virtuous; raamam = Rama; sasiitam = along with Seetha; salakSmaNam = with lakshmana; (are to be found); asau = this; te bhraataa = your elder brother; vasati = is staying; mahaagirau = on the great mountain; chitrakuuTe = called Chitrakuta.
"I know where the virtuous Rama along with Seetha and LakSmana are to be found. Your elder brother is staying on the great mountain called Chitrakuta."
श्वः तु गन्ता असि तम् देशम् वस अद्य सह मन्त्रिभिः |
एतम् मे कुरु सुप्राज्न कामम् काम अर्थ कोविद || २-९०-२३
23. gantaasi = you may go; shvaH = tomorrow; tam desham = to that place; vasa = stay here; adya = today; mantribhisaha = along with your ministers; supraajJNa = O; man of great wisdom; kamaarthakovida = who understands legitimate interest and desire!; kuru = grant; me = me; etat = this; kaamam = desire.
"You may proceed to that place tomorrow. Stay here today along with your ministers. O, man of great wisdom, who understands legitimate interest and desire! Grant me this desire."
ततः तथा इत्य् एवम् उदार दर्शनः |
प्रतीत रूपो भरतो अब्रवीद् वचः |
चकार बुद्धिम् च तदा महा आश्रमे |
निशा निवासाय नर अधिप आत्मजः || २-९०-२४
24. bharataH = Bharata; udaara darshanaH = of a broad out look; pratiitaruupaH = and whose reality (as an admirer of Rama) had now come to be known; tataH = thereafter; abraviit = answered; ityevam = be these; vachaH = words; tathaa = "so it be"; tadaa = then; naraadhipaatmajaH = the prince; chakaara = made up; buddim = his mind; nishaanivaasaaya = to stay for the night; tadaashrame = in this hermitage.
Bharata of a broad outlook and whose reality (as an admirer of Rama) had now come to be known, answered thus: "So be it". Then, the prince made up his mind to stay for that night in the hermitage."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे नवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2004, K. M. K. Murthy