This chapter describes Manthara's success in turning Kaikeyi's mind away from good towards evil.
एवमुक्ता तु कैकेयी कोपेन ज्वलितानना |
दीर्घमुष्टम् विनिःश्वस्य मन्थरामिदम् अब्रवीत् || ९-२-१
1. uktaa = having been spoken; evam = thus; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; jvalita aananaa = having a burning face; kopena = with anger; viniHshvasya = sighed; diirgham = lengthily; ushhNam = heatedly; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; mantharaam = to Manthara.
After hearing those words, Kaikeyi with her face burning with anger, had a long and hot sigh and spoke to Manthara as follows:
अद्य राममितः क्षिप्रं वनं प्रस्थापयाम्यहम् |
यौवराज्ये च भरतं क्षिप्रमेवाभिषेचये || ९-२-२
2. adya = now; aham = I; prasthaapayaami raamam = shall make Rama to travel; kshhipram = quickly; vanam = to forest; itaH = from here; abhishhechayaami bharatam cha = I shall also get Bharata anointed; youvaraajye = for princely kingdom; kshhiprameva = even quickly.
"Now itself, I shall send Rama quickly to forest. I shall get Bharata anointed for princely kingdom immediately."
इदं त्विदानीं संपश्य केनोपायेन मन्थरे |
भरतः प्राप्नुयाद्राज्यं न तु रामः कथंचन|| ९-२-३
3. manthara = O Manthara! kena upaayena = what is the means by which; bharataH = Bharata; praapuuyaat = will get; raajyam = kingdom; raamaH tu = but Rama; na = (will) not (get); kathamechana = by any method; sampasya = see; idam = this; idaaniim = now.
"O Manthara! What is the means by which Bharata will get the kingdom but Rama will not get it by any method. Think about it now."
एवमुक्ता तया देव्या मन्थरा पापदर्शिनी |
रामार्थमुपहिंसन्ती कैकेयीमिदमब्रवीत् || ९-२-४
4. uktaa = after being spoken; evam = thus; devyaa = by the queen Kaikeyi; mantharaa = Manthara; paapadarshinii = the sinful thinker; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi; upahimsantii = destroying; ramaartham = Rama's benefit.
After hearing her words, the sinful thinking Manthara, spoke thus to Kaikeyi to destroy Rama's benefit of kingdom.
हन्तेदानीं प्रवक्ष्यामि कैकेयि श्रूयतां च मे |
यथा ते भरतो राज्यं पुत्रः प्राप्स्यति केवलम् || ९-२-५
5. kaikeyi = O Kaikeyi! hanta = (I am) very glad! pravakshhyaami = I will tell; yathaa = how; te putraH = your son; bharataH = Bharata; kevalam = only; praapsyati = will get; raajyam = kingdom; me shruuyataamcha = let I be listened.
"O Kaikeyi! I am very glad. I shall tell you the means by which your son Bharata only will get the kingdom. Listen to it!"
किं न स्मरसि कैकेयि स्मरन्ती वा निगूहसे |
यदुच्यमानमात्मार्थं मत्तस्त्वं श्रोतुमिच्छसि || ९-२-६
6. kaikeyi = O Kaikeyi! tvam yat ichchhati = you are desiring; shrotam = to hear; mattaH = from me; uchyamaanam = the thing to be stated; aatmaanam = for your benefit; na smarasi kim = are you not remebering it; smarantii = though remembering; niguuhase vaa = (are you) hiding?
"Oh, Kaikeyi! You desire to hear from me the means for your benefit. Have you forgotten about it or are you hiding, even if you have remembered it?"
मयोच्यमानं यदि ते श्रोतुं च्छ्न्दो विलासिनि |
श्रूयतामभिधास्यामि श्रुत्वा चैतद् विधीयताम् || ९-२-७
7. vilaasini = o lady full of charms! chhandaH yadi = If it is desired; te = by you; shrotum = to hear; uchyamaanam = telling mayaa = by me; abhidhaasyaami = I shall tell you; shruuyataam = let it be heard; shrutvaa = after hearing; vidhiiyataam etad cha = let it be acted upon also.
"O the lady of charms, Kaikeyi! If you desire to hear this from my mouth, I shall tell you. Listen to me. Let it be acted upon after listening to me."
श्रुत्वैवं वचनं तस्या मन्थरायास्तु कैकयि |
किंचिदुत्थाय शयनात्स्वास्तीर्णादिदमब्रवीत् || ९-२-८
8. shruttvaiva = after hearing; evam = these; vachanam = words; mantharaayaaH = of Manthara; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; utthaaya = rose; kiJNchit = a little; svaastiirNaat shayanaat = from well laid bed; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these words.
After hearing Manthara's words, Kaikeyi slightly rose from the well-laid bed and spoke the following :
कथय त्वं ममोपायं केनोपायेन मन्थरे |
भरतः प्राप्नुयाद्रज्यं न तु रामः कथंचन || ९-२-९
9. manthare = o Manthara! tvam = you; kathaya = tell; mama = me; kena upaayena = by what means; bharataH = Bharata; praapnuyaat = will get; raajyam = kingdom; raamaH tu = but Rama; na = (will) not (get); kathamchana = by any count; upaayam = that trick.
"O Manthara! Tell me the trick by which Bharata will get the kingdom and Rama will not get it under any circumstances."
एवमुक्ता तया देव्या मन्थरा पापदर्शिनी |
रामार्थमुपहिंसन्ती कुब्जा वचनमब्रवीत् || ९-२-१०
10. uktaa = after being spoken; evam = thus; tayaa devyaa = by that queen Kaikeyi; kubjaa = the hunch backed; mantharaa = Manthara; paapadarshinii = the sinful thinker; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words; upahimsantiim = to destroy; raamaartham = Rama's benefit.
After hearing Kaikeyi's words, the sinful thinking, hunch backed Manthara, spoke thus, with an intention to destroy Rama's benefit of kingdom.
तव दैवासुरे युद्धे सहराजर्षिभिः पतिः |
अगच्छत्त्वामुपादाय देवराजस्य साह्यकृत् || ९-२-११
दिशमास्थाय वै देवि दक्षिणां दण्डकान् प्रति |
वैजयन्तमिति क्यातं पुरं यत्र तिमिध्वजः || ९-२-१२
11;12. devi = O queen! yuddhe = in a battle; devaasure = between celestials and demons tava patiH = your husband; upaadaaya = taking; tvaam = you; raajarshhibhiH saha = along with holy kings; agachchhat = went; saahyakR^iti = to help; devaraajasya = king Devendra; puram = to the city; khyaatam = famously; vaijayantamiti = called Vaijayanta; yatra = where; timidhvajaH = Timidhvaja (resided); aasthaaya = getting into; dakshhiNaam disham = southern direction; daNdakaan prati = towards forest of Dandaka.
"O Queen! Once upon a time, when there was a battle between celestials and demons, your husband Dasaratha went along with you and other holy kings to help Indra in battle, to a famous city called Vaijayata in which the demon Timidhvaja lived in a southern direction in the forest of Dandaka."
स शम्बर इति ख्यातः शतमायो महासुरः |
ददौ शक्रस्य संग्रामं देवसङिघैरनिर्जितः || ९-२-१३
13. saH mahaasuraH = That great demon; khyaataH = famous; shambaraH = as shambara; shatamaayaH = who had several magic effects; anarjitaH = not being defeated; devasanghaiH = by celestrial groups; dadau = gave; sangraamam = battle; shakrasya = to Devendra.
"That great demon famously called shambara, who had several magic effects, defeated all the celestials and conferred battle upon Devendra."
तस्मिन् महति संग्रामे पुरुषान् क्षतविक्षतान् |
रात्रौ प्रसुप्तान् घ्नन्ति स्म तरसासाद्य राक्षसाः || ९-२-१४
14. tasmin mahati sangraame = in that great battle; raakshhasaaH = demons; aasaadya = approached; tarasaa = by force; ghnantisma = and killed; purushaan = men; kshhatavikshhataan = who were beaten by arrows; prasuptaan = and those sleeping; raatrau = in the night.
"In that great battle, demons approached and forcefully killed men who were injured by arrows and also those who were sleeping at night."
Comment : It is not a virtuous practice according to scriptures, to kill injured people and defenceless people sleeping at night. Demons do not follow such scriptures.
तत्राकरोन्महायुद्धं राजा दशरथ स्तदा |
असुरैश्च महाबाहुः शस्त्रैश्च शकलीकृतः || ९-२-१५
15. tadaa = then; dasharathaH raajaa = king Dasaratha; akarot = created; mahaayuddham = great battle; tatra = there; mahaabaahuH = the long armed Dasaratha; shakaliiR^itaH cha = was made into pieces; shastraiaH = with weapons; asuraiH cha = by demons.
"Then, king Dasaratha fought a great battle there. With their weapons, demons made into pieces the long armed Dasaratha."
अपवाह्य त्वया देवि संग्रामान्नष्टचेतनः |
तत्रपि विक्षतः शस्रैः पतिस्ते रक्षितस्त्वया || ९-२-१६
16. devi = O queen! nashhTa chetanaH = Dasaratha; who became unconscious; rakshhitaH = was saved; tvayaa = by you; apavaahya = by taking him away; sangraamaat = from battle field; tatraapi = there also; te patiH = your husband; vikshhataH = who was beaten; shastraiH = by weapons; rakshhitaH = was saved; tvayaa = by you.
"O Queen! You saved the life of your unconscious husband by taking him away from the battle field. There also, you again saved him, when beaten by demons with their weapons."
तुष्टेन तेन दत्तौ ते द्वौ वरौ शुभदर्शने |
सत्वयोक्तः पतिर्देवि यदेच्छेयं तदा वरौ || ९-२-१७
गृह्णीयामिति तत्तन तधेत्युक्तं महात्मना |
17. shubhadarshane = O Kaikeyi with auspicious appearance! tushhTena = after getting delighted; tena = by him; dattau = were given; te = to you; dvou = two; varau = boons; saH patiH = that husband; uktaH = was told; tvayaa = by you; gR^ihNiiyaam iti = that I shall take; varau = boons; yadaa tadaa = as and when; ichchheyam = desired by me; uktam = said; tena mahaatmanaa = by that great souled Dasaratha; tathaa iti = let it be; tat = that.
"O Kaikeyi with auspicious appearance! Getting delighted, he gave two boons to you. Then, you said, " I shall ask you whenever I require them". He then agreed to it."
अनभिज्ञा ह्यहं देवि त्वयैव कथिता पुरा || ९-२-१८
कथैषा तव तु स्नेहान्मनसा धार्यते मया |
रामाभिषेकसंभारान्निगृह्य विनिवर्तय || ९-२-१९
18;19. devi = o queen! aham = I; anabhiNJyaahi = do not know anything about this matter; puraa = previously; eshhaa kathaa = this story; kathitaa = was told; tvayaiva = by you only; dhaaryate = being kept; mayaa = by me; manasaa = in mind; snehaat tu = due to friendship; vinivartaya = stop; raamaabhishheka sambhaaraan = arragnments of Rama's anointment; nigR^ihya = by force.
"O Queen! I do not know what had happened there. You yourself told this story previously to me. I am keeping this in my mind because of my friendship with you. Hence, you have to stop, by force, the arrangements being made for Rama's coronation."
तौ वरौ याच भर्तारं भरतस्याभिषेचनम् |
प्रव्राजनं तु रामस्य त्वं वर्षाणि चतुर्दश || ९-२-२०
20. tvam = you; yaacha = ask; bhartaaram = your husband; tau = those (two); varau = boons; bharatasya = Bharata's abhishhechanam = anointment (and); raamasya = Rama's; pravraajanam = sending to exile; chaturdasha varshhaaNi = for fourteen years.
"You ask your husband as two boons, anointing Bharata for princely kingdom and sending Rama to exile for fourteen years."
चतुर्दश हि वर्षाणिरामे प्रव्राजिते वनम् |
प्रजाभावगतस्नेहः स्थिरः पुत्रो भविष्यति || ९-२-२१
21. pravraajite = if you send; raame = Rama; chaturdashavarshhaaNi = for fourseen years; vanam = to forest; putraH = your son; prajaabhaavagatasnehaH = will get intimate association in the people's hearts; sthiraH bhavishhyati = and will become stable.
If you send Rama to forest for fourteen years, your son Bharata will get intimate association in the hearts of the people and will get stabilised in kingdom.
क्रोधागारं प्रविश्याद्य कृद्द्धेवाश्वपतेः सुते |
शेष्वानन्तर्हितायां त्वं भूमौ मलिनवासिनी || ९-२-२२
22.asvapetH sute = oh; Kaikeyi the daughter of Asvapati! adya = now; pravishya = enter; krodhaagaaram = the room of wrath; dR^iddheva = as if angry; sheshhva = and lie down; bhuumau = on floor; anantarhitaayaam = without any spread; malinavaasinii = and wearing soiled clothes.
Oh, kaikeyi! Now, enter the room of wrath as if angry with him and lie down on floor without any spread underneath and wearing soiled clothes.
मास्मैनं प्रत्युदीक्षेथा माचैन मभिभाषथाः |
रुदन्ती चापि तं दृष्ट्वा जगत्यां शोकलालसा || ९-२-२३
23. dR^ishhTvaa = after seeing; tam = that Dasaratha; shokalaalasaa = be sorrowful; rudantii = and by weaping; maasma pratyudiikshhethaaH = do not look face to face; enam = at him; maachaiva abhibhaashhataaH = nor talk; face to face; enam = to him.
As soon as you see Dasaratha, be sorrowful and keep on weeping, without looking at him and without talking to him face to face.
दयिता त्वं सदा भर्तुरत्र मे नास्ति संशयः |
त्वत्कृते स महाराजो विशेदपि हुताशनम् || ९-२-२४
24. tvam = you; sadaa = always; dayitaa = dear one; bhartuH = to husband; naasti = no; samsayaH = doubt; me = to me; atra = about this; saH mahaaraajaH = that king; vishedapi = will even enter; hutaashanam = fire; tvatkR^ite = for your sake.
You are always dear to your husband. I have no doubt about it. King Dasaratha will even jump into a fire for your sake.
न त्वां क्रोधयितुं शक्तोन क्रुद्धां प्रत्युदीक्षितुम्|
तव प्रियार्थं राजा हि प्राणानपि परित्यजेत् || ९-२-२५
25. raajaa = the king na shaktaH = is not capable; tvaam krodhayitum = of making you angry; na = not able; diikshhitum = to see; kruddhaam = you with anger; parityajet hi = he will give up; praaNaanapi = even life; tava priyaartham = for your love.
The king is not capable of making you angry. He is not even able to see you with anger. He will give up his life for your love.
न ह्यतिक्रमितुं शक्तस्तव वाक्यं महीपतिः |
मन्दस्वभावे बुद्ध्यस्व सौभाग्यबलमात्मनः || ९-२-२६
26. manda svabhaave = oh; foolish one! mahiipatiH = king; nashaktaH hi = will not transgress; tava = your; vaakyam = words; buddhyastva = you know; aatmanaH = your; saubhaagya balam = abundant strength.
Oh, foolish one! The king will not be able to transgress your word. You realise your abundant strength.
मणिमुक्तं सुवर्णानि रत्नानि विविधानि च |
दद्याद्धशरथो राजा मा स्म तेषु मनः कृथाः || ९-२-२७
27.dasharathaH raajaa = king Dasaratha; dadyaat = may give; maNi muktam = diamonds; pearls; suvarNaami = gold; vividhaani = various; ratnaanicha = precious stones; maakRithaaH = do not keep; manaH = mind; teshhu = in them.
King Dasaratha may offer you diamonds, pearls, gold and various other precious stones. Do not care for them.
यौ तौ दैवासुरे युद्धे वरौ द्शरथोऽददात् |
तौ स्मारय महाभागे सोऽर्थो मात्वामतिक्रमेत् || ९-२-२८
28. mahaabhaage = oh Kaikeyi; the great fortunate one! smaaraya - remind; dasarathaH = Dasaratha; daivaasurayuddhe = in battle between celestials; and demons; you - which; tau = those famous; varau = boons; adadaat = were given; tau = those boons; arthaH - benefit; maatikramet = not to cross. tvaa; = you.
Oh, Kaikeyi, the great fortunate! you remind Dasaratha of those boons given by him to you in that battle between celestials and demons. See that your benefit does not get thwarted.
यदा तु ते वरं दद्यात्स्वयमुत्थाप्य राघवः |
व्यवस्थाप्य महाराजं तमिमं वृणुया वरम् || ९-२-२९
29. yadaa = when; raaghavaH = Dasaratha; svayam = himself; utthaapya = will raise you from the floor; dadyaat = and give; te = you; varam = the boon; mahaarajam vyavasthaapya = after making the king steady; vriNuyaaH = ask; imam varam = this boon.
Dasaratha himself will raise you from the floor and offer you the boon. Thus , after making him steady, you ask for this boon.
रामं प्रव्राजयारण्ये नव वर्षाणि पञ्च च |
भरतः क्रियतां राजा पृथिव्याः पार्थिवर्षभ || ९-२-३०
30. paarthivarshhabha = oh; king! pravraajaya = send to exile; raamam = Rama; aranye = in forest; nava panchacha varshhaaNi = for fourteen years; bharataH kriyataam = let Bharata be made; raajaa = as king; prithivyaaH = to this earth.
"Oh, king! send Rama to forest for fourteen years. Let Bharata be made as king of this earth".
चतुर्दश हि वर्षाणि रामे प्रव्राजिते वन्म् |
रूढश्च कृतमूलश्च शेषं स्थास्यति ते सुतः || ९-२-३१
31. raamaH = Rama; pravraajite = having been sent; vanam - to forest; chaturdashavarshhaaNi = for fourteen years; te sutaH = your son; ruudhaH cha = will stand firmly; kritamuulaH cha = having laid roots and ; sthaasyati = will stay; sheshhaM = for remaining period.
Rama having been sent to forest for fourteen years, your son will stand firmly, having laid his roots and will stay in power for the remaining period.
रामप्रव्राजनं चैव देवि याचस्व तं वरम् |
एवं सिद्ध्यन्ति पुत्रस्य सर्वार्थास्तव भामिनि || ९-२-३२
32. devi = oh; queen! yaachasva = ask; tam = him; raamapravraajanamChaiva = of sending Rama to forest also; varam = as a boom; evam = thus; tava = your; putrasya = son's; sarvaarthaaH = all benefits; siddhyanti = will be accomplished.
Oh, Kaikeyi! Ask Dasaratha of sending Rama to forest also as a boon. Thus, your son will accomplish all the desired benefits.
एवं प्रव्राजितश्चैव रामोऽरामो भविष्यति |
भरतश्च हतामित्रस्तव राजा भविष्यति || ९-२-३३
33. evam = thus; pravraajitaH = by sending to exile; raamaH = Rama; bhavishhyati = will become; araamaH = not amiable to people; tava = your; bharatascha = Bharata; bhavishhyati = will become; raajaa = king; hataamitrascha = the enemies having been annihilated.
Thus , by sending Rama to exile, he will not become amiable to people. Your Bharata will become king, after the enemies having been annihilated.
येन कालेन रामश्च वनात्प्रत्यागमिष्यति |
तेन कालेन पुत्रस्ते कृतमूलो भविष्यति || ९-२-३४
सुगृहीतमनुष्यश्च सुहृद्भिः सार्धमात्मवान् |
34. yena kaalena = by which time; raamaH cha = Rama; pratyaagamishhyati = returns; vanaat = from forest; tena kaalena = by that time; te = your; aatmavaan = wise; putraH = son; sugR^ihiita manushhyaH = having drawn people to his fold; suhridbhiH = and friends also; bhavishhyati = will become; kR^itamuulaH = one by whom roots are established.
When Rama returns from forest, your wise son will accumulate friends and draw people to his fold, thus establishing roots himself.
प्राप्तकालं नु मन्येऽहं राजानं वीतसाध्वसा || ९-२-३५
रामाभिषेकसंकल्पान्निगृह्य विनिवर्तय |
35. manye = I think; praptakaalam tu = that it is the appropriate time; te = to you; viita saadhvasaa = after bequeathing fear; nigrihya = and by insistence; raajaanam vimivartaya = make the king turn aside; raamaabhishheka sankalpaat = his desire to anoint Rama.
This is the appropriate time for you. Be fearless and by your insistence, make the king turn aside his effort to anoint Rama.
अनर्थमर्थरूपेण ग्राहिता सा ततस्तया || ९-२-३६
हृष्टा प्रतीता कैकेयी मन्थरामिदमब्रवीत् |
36.saa kaikeyii = that kaikeyi; grahitaa = having been taught; anartham = unworthy matter; artharuupeNa = in the form of a worthy matter; tayaa = by that Manthara; tataH = afterwards; hR^isTaa = having delighted; pratiitaa = and understood; abraviit = spoke; mantharaam = to Manthara; idam = these words.
Kaikeyi, being brain-washed an unworthy matter as the most worthy matter by Manthara, accepted her well and having delighted, spoke to her as follows:-
सा हि वाक्येन कुब्जायाः किशोरीवोत्पथं गता |
कैकेयी विस्मयं प्राप्ता परं परमदर्शना || ९-२-३७
37. saa kaikeyi = That Kaikeyi; paramadarshanaa = the good natured; param vismayam gataa = was very much surprised; vaakyena = by words of; kubjaayaaH = the hunch backed Manthara; kishoriiva = and like a small girl; gataa = got; utpatham = into a wrong path.
Though of right thinking in nature, Kaikeyi was very much surprised to hear Manthara's words and like a small girl, got into a wrong path.
कुब्जे त्वां नाभिजानामि श्रेष्ठां श्रेष्ठभिधायिनीम् |
पृथिव्यामसि कुब्जानामुत्तमा बुद्धिनिर्णये || ९-२-३८
38. kubje = oh; Manthara the hunch backed! naabhijaanaami = I have not recognised; tvaam = you; shreshhTaam = as the best; shreshhTaabhidhayiniim = in telling good things; uttamaasi = you are the best; kubjaanaam = among the hunch backed; pR^ithivyaam = on earth; buddhinishchaye = in deciding intellectually.
Oh, Manthara! You are telling very good things. Till now, I have not recognised you as this good. You are the best among the hunch-backed on this earth in making intellectual decisions.
त्वमेव तु ममार्थेषु नित्ययुक्ता हितैषिणी || ९-२-३९
नाहं समवबुद्ध्येयं कुब्जे राज्ञश्चिकीर्षितम् |
39. kubje = oh; Manthara; tvameva = you only; nityayuktaa = are always interested; mama = in my; artheshhu = well being; hitaishhiNii = and wishing my benefit; aham = I; nasamavabuddhyeyam = would not have been aware of; raaGyaH = kings's; chikiirshhitam = intending action.
Oh, Manthara! you always show interest in my well being and wish for my benefit. But for you, I would not have been aware of the king's intentions.
सन्ति दुःसंस्थिताः कुब्जा वक्राः परमदारुणाः || ९-२-४०
त्वं पद्ममिव वातेन सन्नता प्रियदर्शना |
40. santi = there are kubjaaH = hunch backed persons;duH.samsthitaaH = those with bad body construction; vakraaH = crooked ones; paramadaaruNaaH = extremely dreadful; tvam = you; priyadarshanaaH = appear lovely; padmamiva = like lotus; samnataa = bent; vatena = by breeze.
There are so many hunch backed persons in the world. Their bodily construction is very bad. They are crooked and dreadful. But you appear lovely, as a lotus flower bent by breeze.
उरस्तेऽभिनिविष्टं वै यावत् स्कन्धात्समुन्नतम् || ९-२-४१
अधस्ताच्चोदरं शातं सुनाभमिव लज्जितम् |
41. te uraH = your chest; abhinivisTam = appears equally on both sides; samunnatam = and in lofty; yaavatskandaat = upto the shoulders; adhastaat = below it is; sunaabham = good movelled; udaramcha = stomach; shaatam = is lien; lajjitam iva = as though it is shy.
Your chest is appearing equally on both sides and is loftily extended unto the shoulder. Below it is the stomach with an excellent navel, which is lean as though it is shy of seeing the loftiness of chest.
परिपूर्णं तु जघनं सुपीनौ च पयोधरौ || ९-२-४२
विमलेन्दुसमं वक्त्रमहो राजसि मन्थरे |
42. manthare = oh; Manthara! paripurunam = with perfect; jaghanam = hips; supiinou = with well rounded; payodharou = chest; vaktram = face; vimalendu samam = equal to untainted moon; aho = her; raajasi = shining you are!
Oh, Manthara! with perfect hips and well rounded breasts and with your face like an untainted moon you are shining well.
जघनं तव निर्घुष्टं रशनादामशोभितम् || ९-२-४३
जङघे भ्^इशमुपन्यस्ते पादौ चाप्यायतावुभौ |
43. tava = your; jaghanam = waist; rashanaa daama shobhitam = shining with golden belt; nirghusTam = is making sound; jaN^ghe = leg muscles; bhR^isham = very well; upanyaste = rounded up; ubhou = both; paadou cha = feet also; aayatou = are long.
Oh, Manthara! your waist decorated with golden belt is making sound. Your leg-muscles are well rounded and your feet are tall.
त्वमायताभ्यां सक्थिभ्यां मन्थरे क्षौमवासिनी |
अग्रतो मम गच्छन्ती राजहंसेव भाससे|| ९-२-४४
44. manthare = oh; Manthara! tvam = you; raajase = are splendid; raajahamsiiva = like a royal swan; gachchhantii = walking; agrataH = in front; mama = of me; aayataabhyaam = with long; sakthibhyaam = thighs; kshouma vaasinii = wearing silk saree.
Oh, Manthara! you are splendid like a royal swan walking before me, with long thighs are wearing a silk sari.
आसन्याः शम्बरे मायाः सहस्रमसुराधिपे || ९-२-४५
सर्वास्त्वयि निविष्टास्ता भूयश्चान्याः सहस्रशः |
45. yaaH = which; sahasram maayaaH = thousand magic effects aasan = lying; shambare = in shambara; asuraadhipe = the lord of demons; taaH sarvaaH = all those; bhuuyaH = and further; sahasrashaH = thousands of anyaashcha = others nivisTaaH = are lying; tvayi = in you.
In addition to all those thousand magic effects lying in shambara, the lord of demons, another further thousands of magic effects are lying in you.
तवेदं स्थगु यद्दीर्घं रथघोणमिवायतम् || ९-२-४६
मतयः क्षत्रविद्याश्च मायाश्चात्र वसन्ति ते |
46. yat = which; tava = your; idam = this; diirgham = long; sthagu = hunch; aayatam rathaghaNamiva = looking like long apex of a chariot; atra = in it; vasanti = are dewelling; te = your; matayaH = thoughts; kshhatravidyaaH cha = royal arts; mayaaH cha = and magic effects.
In your long hunch, which looks like an apex of a chariot, are dwelling your various thoughts, royal arts and magic effects.
अत्रते प्रतिमोक्ष्यामि मालां कुब्जे हिरण्मयीम् || ९-२-४७
अभिषिक्ते च भरते राघवे च वनं गते |
47. kubje = oh; Manthara! raagahave = Rama; gate = goes to; vanam = forest; bharate cha = and Bharata; abhishikte = gets anointed; pratimokshyaami = adore; atra = this huch back; maalaam = with garland; hiraNmayiim = made of gold.
Oh Manthara! When Rama goes to forest and Bharata gets kingdom, I shall adore this hunch back with a golden garland.
जात्येन च सुवर्णेन सुविष्टप्तेन मन्थरे || ९-२-४८
लब्धार्था च प्रतीता च लेपयिष्यामि ते स्थगु |
48. manthara = oh; Manthara! labdaarthaacha = after getting the benefit; pratiitaacha = and having delighted lapayishhyaami = I shall anoint; te sthagu = your hunch back; suvisTaptena = with well refined; suvarNena = gold; jaatyena = of good class.
Oh, Manthara! After accomplishing the benefit desired by me, I shall, with delight, get your hunch back anointed with well refined gold of good quality.
मुखे च तिलकं चित्रं जातरूपमयं शुभम् || ९-२-४९
कारयिष्यामि ते कुब्जे शुभान्यभरणानि च|
49.kubje = oh; Manthara! kaarayishhyaami = I shall get made; shubhaani = beautiful;aabharaNaamicha = ornaments; te mukhe = and for your face; shubham = auspicious; tilakam = dots; chitram = of variety; jaataruupamayam = in pure gold.
Oh, Manthara! I shall get beautiful ornaments made and for your forehead auspicious dots of variety done of pure gold.
परिधाय शुभे वस्त्रे देवतेव चरिष्यसि || ९-२-५०
गमिष्यसि गतिं मुख्यांगर्वयन्ती द्विषज्जने || ९-२-५१
50;51. charishhyasi = you will be moving around; devateva = like an angel; paridhaaya = wearing; subhe = beautiful; vastre = clothes; gamishhyasi = you will get; mukhyaam = important; gatim = position; dvishhajjane = amidst adversaries; garvayantii = with pride; mukhena = with face; apratimaananaa = incomparably; aahvayamaanena = competing with; chandram = moon.
You will be moving around like an angel, wearing beautiful clothes. You will achieve an important position in the eyes of your adversaries with pride and with your face, incomparably competing with moon.
तवापि कुब्जायाः सर्वाभरणभूषिताः |
पादौ परिचरिष्यन्ति यथैव त्वं सदा मम || ९-२-५२
52. kubjaaH = the hunch backed women; sarvaabharanNa bhushhitaaH = adorned with all ornaments; sadaa = always; paricharashhyanti = will do service; tava paadou api = at your feet also; yathaiva = as how; kibjaayaaH = as hunch backed; tvam = you; mama = to me.
The hunch backed women, adorned with all ornaments, will always do service, at your feet, as how as hunch-backed women, adorned with all ornaments, will always do service at your feet, as how as hunch-backed you are doing it to me.
इति प्रशस्यमाना सा कैकेयीमिदमब्रवीत् |
शयानां शयने शुभ्रे वेद्यामग्निशिखामिव || ९-२-५३
53.saa = that Manthara; iti = in this way; prashasyamaanaa = being praised; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyim shaanaam = who was lying; shubhre shayane = in a clean couch;agni sihaamiva = like a flame of five; vedyaam = in a sacrificial altar.
Manthara in this way being praised spoke these words to Kaikeyi, who was lying in a clean couch like a flame of fire upon the sacrificial altar.
गतोदके सेतुबन्दो न कल्याणि विधीयते |
उत्तिष्ठ कुरु कल्याणं राजानमसुदर्शय|| ९-२-५४
54. kalyaNi = Oh Kaikeyi; the auspicious one! gatodake = in a place where water has flown out; stubandhaH = coustructing a dam; navidhiiyate = is not made; uttisTa = rise; kuru = do; kalyaaNam = the auspicious act; anudarshaya = show your influence; raajaanam = to king.
Oh, Kaikeyi the auspicious one! When water has already flown out, there is no use constructing a dam. Now rise and do this purposeful action. Show your influence to the king.
तथा प्रोत्साहिता देवी गता मन्थरया सह |
क्रोधागारं विशालाक्षी सौभाग्यमदगर्विता || ९-२-५५
अनेकशतसाहस्रं मुक्ताहारं वराङ्गना |
अवमुच्य वराराणि शुभान्याभरणानि च || ९-२-५६
ततो हेमोपमा तत्र कुब्जावाक्यवशंगता |
संविश्य भूमौ कैकेयी मन्थरामिदमब्रवीत् || ९-२-५७
55;56;57. kubjaavaakyavashamgataa = by surrendering to the words of the hunch backed Manthara; tathaa = thus; protsaahitaa = having been encouraged; kaikeyii = Kakeyi; vishalaakshhii = who was having wide eyes; soubhaagyamadagarvitaa = who was proud of intoxicating beauty; varaaN^ganaa = a gifted woman; devii = a queen; avamuchya = removed; muktaahaaram = pearl necklace; anekashatasaahasram = worth in lacs varaarhaNi = greatly valued; shubbaani = auspicious; aabharaNaani = ornaments; gatvaa = entered; krodhaagaaram = chamber of wrath; mantharayaapaha = along with Manthara; tataH = afterwards; savishya = lied; bhuumou = on the floor; tatra = there; hemopamaa = like gold; abraviit = spoke; mantharaam = to Manthara; idam = these words.
By surrendering to the words of Manthara and having been thus encouraged by her, Kaikeyi who was of wide eyes, who was proud of her intoxicating beauty, who was a gifted woman and a queen, removed pearl necklace worth in lacs and other great valuable auspicious ornaments from her body, entered the chamber of wrath along with Manthara, lied on the floor there like a golden wire and spoke to Manthara as follows:
इह वा मां मृतां कुब्जे णृपायावेदयिष्यसि |
वनं तु राघवे प्राप्तेभरतः प्राप्स्यति क्षितिम्|| ९-२-५८
58. kubje = oh; Manthara! raaghave = Rama; praapte = having reached; vanamtu = forest; bharataH = Bharata; praapsyasi = shall get; kshhitim = the earth; vaa = or ese; aavedayishhyasi = inform; nR^ipaaya = king Dasaratha; maam = about me; mR^itaam maam = as dead person; iha = here.
"After Rama's going to the forest, Bharata shall get the kingdom. Or else, you inform the king that I died here itself".
न सुवर्णेन मे ह्यर्थो न रत्नैर्न च भूषणैः |
एष मे जीवितस्यान्तो रामो यद्यभिषिच्यते || ९-२-५९
59.suvarNena = gold; na arthaH = is of no use; me = to me; na = nor; ratnaiH = diamonds; na = nor; bhuushhaNaiH cha = ornaments; ramaH abhishhichyate yadi = If Rama gets anointed for kingdom; eshhaH = that itself; antaH = is end; me jiivitasya = of my life.
Neither gold nor diamonds nor ornaments are of any use to me. on which day Rama gets anointed for the kingdom, the same day it will be the end of my life.
अथो पुनस्तां महिषीं महीक्षितो |
वचोभिरत्यर्थ महापराक्रमैः |
उवाच कुब्जा भरतस्य मातरं |
हितं वचो राममुपेत्य चाहितम् || ९-२-६०
60. atho = afterwards; kubjaa = Manthara; punaH = again; uvaacha = spoke; taam bharatasya maataram = to that mother of Bharata; mahishhiim = and wife; mahiikshhitaH = of king; vachobhiH = who was talking; atyarthamahaaparakramaiH = very seriously; vachaH = the words; hitam = whcih are beneficial to her; ahitam = but not beneficial; raamam upetya = in relation to Rama.
Afterwards, that Manthara again spoke to the seriously talking mother of Bharata that is Kaikeyi the following words which were beneficial to her and not beneficial in relation to Rama.
प्रपत्स्यते राज्यमिदं हि राघवो |
यदि ध्रुवं त्वं स सुता च तप्स्यसे |
अतो हि कल्याणि यतस्व तत्तथा |
यथा सुतस्ते भरतोऽभिषेक्ष्यते || ९-२-६१
61. raaghavaH prapatsyate yadi = If Rama gets; idam = this; raajyam = kingdom; tvam = you; sasutaa = along with your son; tapsyase = get destroyed; dhruvam = it is certain; kalyaaNi = oh; the auspicious one! ataH = hence; yathaa = in what way; te sutaH = your son; bharataH = Bharata; abhishhekshhyate = will get anointed ; yatasva = try; tathaa = in that way; tat = that action.
If Rama becomes king, you and your son will be destroyed. Oh, Kaikeyi of auspicious qualities! Hence you try for coronation of your son, Bharata
तथातिविद्धा महिषि तु कुब्जया |
समाहता वागिषुभिर्मुहुर्मुहुः |
विधाय हस्तौ हृदयेऽतिविस्मिता |
श्शंस कुब्जां कुपिता पुनः पुनः || ९-२-६२
62. samaahataa = having hit; tathaa = thus; vaagishhubhiH = by arrows of words; kubjayaa = by the hunch backed Manthara; muhurmuhuH = again and again; mahishhii = Kaikeyi; viddhaa = felt sad; kupitaa = angry; ativismitaa = was very much surprised; vidhaaya = keeping; hastou = hands; hR^idaye = on heart; shamshasa = praised; kubjaam = the hunch backed one; punaH punaH = again and again.
Having thus hit by arrows of words employed by Manthara again and again, Kaikeyi felt sad, was angry with the king, by keeping hands on her heart, was surprised with the cleverness of Manthara and praised her time and again.
यमस्य वा मां विषयं गतामितो |
निशाम्य कुब्जे प्रतिवेदयिष्यसि |
वनं गते वा सुचिराय राघवे |
समृद्धकामो भरतो भविष्यति || ९-२-६३
63. kubje = oh; Manthara; prativedayishhyasivaa = either you have to inform; nishaamya = having seen; maam = me; gataam = going; yamasya vishayam = to the world of death; itaH = from here; bharataH bhavishhyativaa = or Bharata becomes; samR^iddha kaamaH = fulfiller of desire; raaghave gate = when Rama left for ; vanam = forest.
If Rama does not go to forest from here, I do not long for any mattresses or garlands or sandal paste or eye-liner or drink or food or even the loaf here.
अहं हि वै नास्तरणानि न स्रजो |
न चन्दनं नाञ्जनपानभोजनम् |
न किंचिदिच्छामि न चेह जीवितं |
न चेदितो गच्छति राघवो वनम् || ९-२-६४
64. raaghavaH na gachchhatichet = If Rama does not go to forest; itaH = from here; aham = I; na ichchhaami = do not desire for; kinchit = any; aastaraNaami = mattresses; na = nor; chandanam = sandal paste; na = nor; anjanam = eye-liner; na = nor; paana bhojanam = drink or food; na = nor; jiivitamcha = life even.
If Rama does not go to forest from here, I do not long for any mattresses or garlands or sandal paste or eye-liner or drink or food or even the life here.
अथैतदुक्त्वा वचनं सुदारुणं |
न्धाय सर्वाभरणानि भामिनी |
असंवृतामास्तरणेन मेदिनीं |
तदाधिशिश्ये पतितेव किन्नरी || ९-२-६५
65. bhaminii = that Kaikeyi; uktvaa = uttering; etat vachanam = these words; sudaaruNam = which are cruel; atta = afterwards; nidhaaya = removing and keeping at one place; sarvaabharaNaani = all ornaments; tadaa = then; adhishishye = lied down; mediniim = on floor; asamvritaam = uncovered; aastaraNena = by mattress; patitua kinnarii iva = like a fallen angel called kinnara.
Kaikeyi, thus uttering cruel words, having removed all ornaments, lied on the floor without a mattress like a fallen angel.
नरेन्द्रपत्नी विमना बभूव सा |
तमोवृता द्यौरिव मग्नतारका || ९-२-६६
66.saa = Kaikeyi; narendra patnii = wife of the king; avanuktottamamuulya bhuushaNaa; having removed valued ornaments; udiirNasamrambhatamovR^itaananaa = having her face covered by the darkness of extreme anger; vimanaaH = with depressed mind; babhuuva = was; dyouriva = like sky; magnataarakaa = with missing stars; tamovR^itaa = surrounded by gloom.
Kaikeyi, having removed all adornments, having her face covered by the darkness of extreme anger and with her depressed mind, looked like a starless sky in a gloomy night.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे स्रिमद्रामयणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्य काण्दे नवम सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy