Guha reports to Bharata, how Rama and his party broke their journey at Shringaverapura and narrate to him the dialogue that took place between Lakshmana and himself during that night. Guha further tells him how Rama and Lakshmana matted their hair into a thick mass crossed the holy river with Seetha and left for the hermitage of Sage Bharadwaja.
आचचक्षे अथ सद्भावम् लक्ष्मणस्य महात्मनः |
भरताय अप्रमेयाय गुहो गहन गोचरः || २-८६-१
1. atha = thereafter; guhaH = Guha; gahanagocharaH = the foremost dweller; aachachakshhe = told; bharataaya = Bharata; aprameyaaya = who was having incomprehensible qualities; sadbhaavam = about the quality of goodness; lakshhmanasya = of Lakshmana; mahaatmanah = the high soled.
Then Guha the foremost dweller reported Bharata, who was having incomprehensible qualities, about the quality of goodness of Lakshmana(as follows):
तम् जाग्रतम् गुणैर् युक्तम् वर चाप इषु धारिणम् |
भ्रातृ गुप्त्य् अर्थम् अत्यन्तम् अहम् लक्ष्मणम् अब्रवम् || २-८६-२
2. aham = I; abravam = spoke; tam lakshhmanaam = to that Lakshmana; yuktam = endowed with; guNaiH = virtues; shara chaapaasidhaariNam = who wielded arrows; bow and a sword; jaagratam = and was awake; atyantam = very much; bhraatR^I gupyartham = for the sake guard of his brother.
"I spoke as follows to that Lakshmana, who is endowed with virtues and wielding arrows bow and a sword and who was keeping a vigil for the safe guard of his brother."
इयम् तात सुखा शय्या त्वद् अर्थम् उपकल्पिता |
प्रत्याश्वसिहि शेष्व अस्याम् सुखम् राघव नन्दन || २-८६-३
3. taata = O dear broter! Raaghavanandana = a delight to those born in Raghu dynasty! Iyam = Here is; sukhaa = a comfortable; shayyaa = bed; upakalpitaa = made ready ; tvadartham = for you; pratyaashvasihi = be comfortable; sheshhva = rest; sukham = peacefully; asyaam = on this.
"O, dear brother! Here is a comfortable bed made ready for you. Feel yourself at ease. Rest peacefully on this, O, delight of the Raghu race!"
उचितो अयम् जनः सर्वे दुह्खानाम् त्वम् सुख उचितः |
धर्म आत्ममः तस्य गुप्त्य् अर्थम् जागरिष्यामहे वयम् || २-८६-४
4. dharmaatman = o; virtuous prince! sarvaH = all ayam these; janaH = people; uchitaH = are habitual; duHkhaanaam = to hardships; tvam = you; sukhochitaH = are used to comfort; vayam we; jaagarishhyaamahe = shall keep awake; gupyartham = for the safe guard; tasya = of Rama.
"All my people are habituated for hardships, o virtuous prince! You are used to comfort. Hence ,we shall keep awake for the safe guard of Rama."
न हि रामात् प्रियतरो मम अस्ति भुवि कश्चन |
मा उत्सुको भूर् ब्रवीम्य् एतद् अप्य् असत्यम् तव अग्रतः || २-८६-५
5. kaschana naastihi = None is indeed; priyataraH = more dear; mama = to me; raamaat = than Rama; bhuvi = on earth; atha = moreover; maa bhuuH = do not become; utsukaH = restless; bhaviimi = I am telling; etat = this; satyam = truthful; vaakyam = sentence; agrataH = before; tava = you.
"None is more dear to me than Rama on this earth. Moreover, do not become restless. I am telling this truth in your presence."
अस्य प्रसादाद् आशंसे लोके अस्मिन् सुमहद् यशः |
धर्म अवाप्तिम् च विपुलाम् अर्थ अवाप्तिम् च केवलाम् || २-८६-६
6. prasaadaat = by the grace; asya = of that Rama; aashamse = I wish to attain; sumahat = a very great; yashaH = glory; asmin loke = in this earth; vipulaam = an extensive; dharmaavyaaptimcha = acquisition of righteousness; kevalou = unalloyed; arthakaamoucha = wealth and enjoyment.
"By the grace of Rama, I wish to attain a very great renown in this earth, an extensive acquisition of righteousness, an unalloyed wealth and enjoyment."
सो अहम् प्रिय सखम् रामम् शयानम् सह सीतया |
रक्षिष्यामि धनुष् पाणिः सर्वैः स्वैर् ज्नातिभिः सह || २-८६-७
7. aham = I; saH = as such; dhanushhpaaNiH = with a bow in my hand; saha = along with; svaiH = my; jN^aatibhiH = relatives; rakshhisyaami = will guard; priyasakham = my dear friend; raaman = Rama; shayaanam = who slept ; siitayaasaha = together with Seetha.
"I as such with a bow in my hand, along with my relatives will guard my dear friend Rama, who slept together with Seetha."
न हि मे अविदितम् किंचिद् वने अस्मिमः चरतः सदा |
चतुर् अन्गम् ह्य् अपि बलम् प्रसहेम वयम् युधि || २-८६-८
8. me = to me; sadaa = who forever; charataH = wander; asmin vane = in this forest; na kimchit hi = nothing is indeed; aviditam = unknown; vayam = we; prasahema hi = can defeat; chaturaNgam balam api = even an army consisting of all the four limbs; yudhi = in battle.
"Nothing is indeed unknown to me, who forever wander in this forest. We can defeat even an army consisting of all the four limbs in battle."
एवम् अस्माभिर् उक्तेन लक्ष्मणेन महात्मना |
अनुनीता वयम् सर्वे धर्मम् एव अनुपश्यता || २-८६-९
9. evam = thus; uktam = spoken; asmaabhiH = by us; sarve = all; vayam = of us; anuniitaaH = were politely replied; lakshhmaNena = by Lakshmana; mahaatmanaa = the high soled; anupashyataa = who perceives; dharmameva = righteousness alone.
"Thus spoken as aforesaid by us the high soled Lakshmana, who perceives righteousness alone,politely replied to all of us( as follows)
कथम् दाशरथौ भूमौ शयाने सह सीतया |
शक्या निद्रा मया लब्धुम् जीवितम् वा सुखानि वा || २-८६-१०
10. katham = how; shakyaa = is it possible; labdhum = to obtain; nidraa = sleep; jiivitamvaa = or even life ; sukhaanivaa = or comforts; mayaa = by me; while) daasharatha = Rama; siitayaasaha = along with Seetha; shayane = is reposing; bhuumou = on the floor?
"How is it possible for me to get a sleep, or even life or comforts when Rama is reposing on the floor along with Seetha?"
यो न देव असुरैः सर्वैः शक्यः प्रसहितुम् युधि |
तम् पश्य गुह सम्विष्टम् तृणेषु सह सीतया || २-८६-११
11. guha = O; Guha!; yaH = which Rama; na shakyaH = cannot be; prasahitum = conquered; yudhi = in battle; sarvaiH = by all; devaasuraiH = the celestials and demons; pashya = see; tam = that Rama; siitaayaa saha = along with Seetha; samvishhTam = who has reposed; tR^iNeshhu = on blades of grass.
"O, Guha! Behold that Rama, who cannot be conquered in a battle even by all the celestials and demons, sleeping on the blades of grass along with Seetha."
महता तपसा लब्धो विविधैः च परिश्रमैः |
एको दशरथस्य एष पुत्रः सदृश लक्षणः || २-८६-१२
12. eshhaH = this Rama; ekaH = is an excellent; putraH = son; sadR^isha lakshhaNaH = having attributes equal to those; dasarathasya = of Dasaratha; labdhaH = who obtained him; mahataa = by a great; tapasaa = penance; vividhiH = and by facing various; parishramaishcha = troubles.
"This Rama is an excellent son, having qualities equal to those of Dasaratha. The king obtained Rama by performing a great penance and after facing various troubles."
अस्मिन् प्रव्राजिते राजा न चिरम् वर्तयिष्यति |
विधवा मेदिनी नूनम् क्षिप्रम् एव भविष्यति || २-८६-१३
13. asmin = when he; pravrajite = having been to exiled; raajaa = the king Dasaratha; navaratryishhyati = will not survive; chiram = for long; medinii = this earth; bhavishhyati = will be; nuunam = surely; vidhavaa = without a husband; kshhiprameva = soon.
"When Rama having seen exiled, the king Dasaratha will not survive for long.This earth will surely be without a husband soon."
विनद्य सुमहा नादम् श्रमेण उपरताः स्त्रियः |
निर्घोष उपरतम् नूनम् अद्य राज निवेशनम् || २-८६-१४
14. striyaH = the women; (in the gynoecium's; vinadya = having cried; sumahaanaadam = with agreat noise; uparataaH = would have ceased crying; shramena = out of fatigue; adya = now; nirghoshhaH = the noise; nuunam = surely; virtaH = would have stopped; raajanivashane = in the royal palace.
"The women in the gynoecium's, having cried with a great noise, would have ceased their crying out of fatigue. Now, the great noise would have stopped in the royal palace by now."
कौसल्या चैव राजा च तथा एव जननी मम |
न आशंसे यदि ते सर्वे जीवेयुः शर्वरीम् इमाम् || २-८६-१५
15. naashamse = I do not think; kausalyachaiva = that Kausalya; raajaacha = king Dasaratha; tathaiva = and; mamajananii = my mother Sumitra; yadi = whether; tesarve = all of them; jiiveyuH = will survive; imaam = in this; rajaniim = night.
"I do not expect whether all of them, like Kausalya Dasaratha and even my mother Sumitra will survive at all till this night."
जीवेद् अपि हि मे माता शत्रुघ्नस्य अन्ववेक्षया |
दुह्खिता या तु कौसल्या वीरसूर् विनशिष्यति || २-८६-१६
16. anvavekshhyaa = by beholding; shatrughnasya = of Satrughna; me maataa = my mother; jiivedapicha = may even survive; ; saatu = but she; yaa = that; kausalya = Kausalya; viirasuuH = who gave birth to the eminent Rama; vinashishhyati = will die; duHkhitaa = of sorrow.
"By beholding Shatrughna, my mother perhaps may even survive. However, the afflicted Kausalya who gave birth to the eminent Rama will surely die."
अतिक्रान्तम् अतिक्रान्तम् अनवाप्य मनो रथम् |
राज्ये रामम् अनिक्षिप्य पिता मे विनशिष्यति || २-८६-१७
17. me pitaa = My father; dasaratha; anavaapya = having not obtained; manoratham = his wish; atikraantam atikraantan = over steppingly and over stappingly; anikSipya = and having not been able to install; raamam = Rama; raajye = in the kingdom; vinashiSyati = will die.
Without realising his long-cherished wish and failing to install Rama in the kingdom of Aodhya, my father Dasaratha will expire."
सिद्ध अर्थाः पितरम् वृत्तम् तस्मिन् काले ह्य् उपस्थिते |
प्रेत कार्येषु सर्वेषु संस्करिष्यन्ति भूमिपम् || २-८६-१८
18. tasminkaale = (when) that time; upasthite = comes; samskariSyanti = (those) who will perform; sarveSu = all; preta kaaryeSu = theobsequial rites; pitaram; of my father; bhuumipam = the king Dasaratha; vR^ittam = who expired; siddhaarthaaH = are indeed they who accomplished their purpose.
"Those who have accomplished their purpose (Shatrughna and others) will perform all the funeal honours to king Dasaratha, my father when the time comes for it."
रम्य चत्वर संस्थानाम् सुविभक्त महा पथाम् |
हर्म्य प्रासाद सम्पन्नाम् सर्व रत्न विभूषिताम् || २-८६-१९
गज अश्व रथ सम्बाधाम् तूर्य नाद विनादिताम् |
सर्व कल्याण सम्पूर्णाम् हृष्ट पुष्ट जन आकुलाम् || २-८६-२०
आराम उद्यान सम्पूर्णाम् समाज उत्सव शालिनीम् |
सुखिता विचरिष्यन्ति राज धानीम् पितुर् मम || २-८६-२१
19; 20; 21. vichariSyanti = (They) will inhabi;t sukhitaaH = joyfully; mama pituH = my father; raajadhaaniim = capital city; ramyachatvara samsthaanaam = with its pleasant cross roads and meeting places; suvibhakta mahaapathaam = with its main roads well laid-out; harmya praasaada sampannaam = sumptous with large houses and lofty mansions; sarva ratna vibhuushhitaam = and all the gems with which they are encrusted; gajaashva ratha sambaadhaam = with the elephants horses and chariots that abound there; tuuryanaada vinaaditaam = the sound of trumpets with which it resonates; sarva kalyaana sampuurNaam = the many diversions it contains; hR^iSTa janaakulaam = its prosperous and well-fed people; aaraamodyaana sampuurNaam = its luxurious gardens and parks;samaajotsava shaliniim = the assemblies and festivals that continuously take place in it.
"They will joyfully inhabit my father capital City, with its pleasant cross roads and meeting places, with its main roads well laid out, sumptuous with large houses and lofty mansions, with all the gems they are encrusted, with elephants horses and chariots that abound there, the sound of trumpets with which the city resonates, the many diversions it contains, its properous and well-fed people, its luxurious gardens and parks as well as the assmeblies and festivals that continuously take place inti."
अपि सत्य प्रतिज्नेन सार्धम् कुशलिना वयम् |
निवृत्ते समये ह्य् अस्मिन् सुखिताः प्रविशेमहि || २-८६-२२
22. vayam api pravishamahi = shall we indeed entere Ayodhya; sukhitaaH = happily; kushalinaa saartham = along with that virtuous Rama; satya pratijJNena = who is true to his promise; nivR^itte = when he completes; asmin = this; samaye = term ( of exile)?
Shall we enter Ayodhya happily along with that virtuous Rama, who has truly redeemed his promise, when he completed his term of exile?
परिदेवयमानस्य तस्य एवम् सुमहात्मनः |
तिष्ठतो राज पुत्रस्य शर्वरी सा अत्यवर्तत || २-८६-२३
23. tasya sumahaatmanaH = (While) that magnanimous; raajaputrasya = Prince; paridevayamaanasya = was lamenting; evam = thus; tiSTataH = stnading guard; saa shaarvarii = that night; atyavartata = passed.
While that magnamimous prince was lamenting thus, standing guard, the night passed.
प्रभाते विमले सूर्ये कारयित्वा जटा उभौ |
अस्मिन् भागीरथी तीरे सुखम् सम्तारितौ मया || २-८६-२४
24. suurye = (When) the sun; prabhaate = rose; vimale = brightly; ubhau = the two of them; got kaarayitvaa jaTaaH = got their locks of hair matted; asmin = at the banks of River Ganga; samtaaritau = and were ferried; sukham = safely; mayaa = by me.
"When the sun rose brightly in the next morning Rama and Lakshmana got their locks of hair matted into a thick mass at the banks of River Ganga and they were safely ferried by me."
जटा धरौ तौ द्रुम चीर वाससौ |
महा बलौ कुन्जर यूथप उपमौ |
वर इषु चाप असि धरौ परम् तपौ |
व्यवेक्षमाणौ सह सीतया गतौ ||२-८६-२५
25. tau = those; paramtapau = Rama and Lakshamana; mahaabalau = possessing great strength; jaTaadharau = wearing matted locks of hair; drumachiiravaasasau = and clothes made of bark; kuN^jara yuutha popamau = like unto the leaders of a herd of elephants; vareSu chaapaasidharau = wielding excellent bow; arrows and sword; vyapekSamaaNau = looking back at me; gatam = went away; siitaayaa saha = with Seetha.
"Rama and Lakshmana, who were capable of tormenting their enemies, possessing great strength, wearing matted locks of hari and clothes made of bark, like unto the leaders of herd of elephants, wielding excellent bow, arrows and sword, looking back at me, went away with Seetha.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे षडशीतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2003, K. M. K. Murthy