Guha reports to Bharata, how Rama and his party broke their journey at Shringaverapura and narrate to him the dialogue that took place between Lakshmana and himself during that night. Guha further tells him how Rama and Lakshmana matted their hair into a thick mass crossed the holy river with Seetha and left for the hermitage of Sage Bharadwaja.
aacacakShe atha sadbhaavam lakShmaNasya mahaatmanaH |
bharataaya aprameyaaya guho gahana gocaraH || 2-86-1
1. atha = thereafter; guhaH = Guha; gahanagocharaH = the foremost dweller; aachachakshhe = told; bharataaya = Bharata; aprameyaaya = who was having incomprehensible qualities; sadbhaavam = about the quality of goodness; lakshhmanasya = of Lakshmana; mahaatmanah = the high soled.
Then Guha the foremost dweller reported Bharata, who was having incomprehensible qualities, about the quality of goodness of Lakshmana(as follows):
tam jaagratam guNair yuktam vara caapa iShu dhaariNam |
bhraatR^i gupty artham atyantam aham lakShmaNam abravam || 2-86-2
2. aham = I; abravam = spoke; tam lakshhmanaam = to that Lakshmana; yuktam = endowed with; guNaiH = virtues; shara chaapaasidhaariNam = who wielded arrows; bow and a sword; jaagratam = and was awake; atyantam = very much; bhraatR^I gupyartham = for the sake guard of his brother.
"I spoke as follows to that Lakshmana, who is endowed with virtues and wielding arrows bow and a sword and who was keeping a vigil for the safe guard of his brother."
iyam taata sukhaa shayyaa tvad artham upakalpitaa |
pratyaashvasihi sheShva asyaam sukham raaghava nandana || 2-86-3
3. taata = O dear broter! Raaghavanandana = a delight to those born in Raghu dynasty! Iyam = Here is; sukhaa = a comfortable; shayyaa = bed; upakalpitaa = made ready ; tvadartham = for you; pratyaashvasihi = be comfortable; sheshhva = rest; sukham = peacefully; asyaam = on this.
"O, dear brother! Here is a comfortable bed made ready for you. Feel yourself at ease. Rest peacefully on this, O, delight of the Raghu race!"
ucito ayam janaH sarve duhkhaanaam tvam sukha ucitaH |
dharma aatmamH tasya gupty artham jaagariShyaamahe vayam || 2-86-4
4. dharmaatman = o; virtuous prince! sarvaH = all ayam these; janaH = people; uchitaH = are habitual; duHkhaanaam = to hardships; tvam = you; sukhochitaH = are used to comfort; vayam we; jaagarishhyaamahe = shall keep awake; gupyartham = for the safe guard; tasya = of Rama.
"All my people are habituated for hardships, o virtuous prince! You are used to comfort. Hence ,we shall keep awake for the safe guard of Rama."
na hi raamaat priyataro mama asti bhuvi kashcana |
maa utsuko bhuur braviimy etad apy asatyam tava agrataH || 2-86-5
5. kaschana naastihi = None is indeed; priyataraH = more dear; mama = to me; raamaat = than Rama; bhuvi = on earth; atha = moreover; maa bhuuH = do not become; utsukaH = restless; bhaviimi = I am telling; etat = this; satyam = truthful; vaakyam = sentence; agrataH = before; tava = you.
"None is more dear to me than Rama on this earth. Moreover, do not become restless. I am telling this truth in your presence."
asya prasaadaad aasha.nse loke asmin sumahad yashaH |
dharma avaaptim ca vipulaam artha avaaptim ca kevalaam || 2-86-6
6. prasaadaat = by the grace; asya = of that Rama; aashamse = I wish to attain; sumahat = a very great; yashaH = glory; asmin loke = in this earth; vipulaam = an extensive; dharmaavyaaptimcha = acquisition of righteousness; kevalou = unalloyed; arthakaamoucha = wealth and enjoyment.
"By the grace of Rama, I wish to attain a very great renown in this earth, an extensive acquisition of righteousness, an unalloyed wealth and enjoyment."
so aham priya sakham raamam shayaanam saha siitayaa |
rakShiShyaami dhanuSh paaNiH sarvaiH svair jnaatibhiH saha || 2-86-7
7. aham = I; saH = as such; dhanushhpaaNiH = with a bow in my hand; saha = along with; svaiH = my; jN^aatibhiH = relatives; rakshhisyaami = will guard; priyasakham = my dear friend; raaman = Rama; shayaanam = who slept ; siitayaasaha = together with Seetha.
"I as such with a bow in my hand, along with my relatives will guard my dear friend Rama, who slept together with Seetha."
na hi me aviditam ki.ncid vane asmimH carataH sadaa |
catur angam hy api balam prasahema vayam yudhi || 2-86-8
8. me = to me; sadaa = who forever; charataH = wander; asmin vane = in this forest; na kimchit hi = nothing is indeed; aviditam = unknown; vayam = we; prasahema hi = can defeat; chaturaNgam balam api = even an army consisting of all the four limbs; yudhi = in battle.
"Nothing is indeed unknown to me, who forever wander in this forest. We can defeat even an army consisting of all the four limbs in battle."
evam asmaabhir uktena lakShmaNena mahaatmanaa |
anuniitaa vayam sarve dharmam eva anupashyataa || 2-86-9
9. evam = thus; uktam = spoken; asmaabhiH = by us; sarve = all; vayam = of us; anuniitaaH = were politely replied; lakshhmaNena = by Lakshmana; mahaatmanaa = the high soled; anupashyataa = who perceives; dharmameva = righteousness alone.
"Thus spoken as aforesaid by us the high soled Lakshmana, who perceives righteousness alone,politely replied to all of us( as follows)
katham daasharathau bhuumau shayaane saha siitayaa |
shakyaa nidraa mayaa labdhum jiivitam vaa sukhaani vaa || 2-86-10
10. katham = how; shakyaa = is it possible; labdhum = to obtain; nidraa = sleep; jiivitamvaa = or even life ; sukhaanivaa = or comforts; mayaa = by me; while) daasharatha = Rama; siitayaasaha = along with Seetha; shayane = is reposing; bhuumou = on the floor?
"How is it possible for me to get a sleep, or even life or comforts when Rama is reposing on the floor along with Seetha?"
yo na deva asuraiH sarvaiH shakyaH prasahitum yudhi |
tam pashya guha samviShTam tR^iNeShu saha siitayaa || 2-86-11
11. guha = O; Guha!; yaH = which Rama; na shakyaH = cannot be; prasahitum = conquered; yudhi = in battle; sarvaiH = by all; devaasuraiH = the celestials and demons; pashya = see; tam = that Rama; siitaayaa saha = along with Seetha; samvishhTam = who has reposed; tR^iNeshhu = on blades of grass.
"O, Guha! Behold that Rama, who cannot be conquered in a battle even by all the celestials and demons, sleeping on the blades of grass along with Seetha."
mahataa tapasaa labdho vividhaiH ca parishramaiH |
eko dasharathasya eSha putraH sadR^isha lakShaNaH || 2-86-12
12. eshhaH = this Rama; ekaH = is an excellent; putraH = son; sadR^isha lakshhaNaH = having attributes equal to those; dasarathasya = of Dasaratha; labdhaH = who obtained him; mahataa = by a great; tapasaa = penance; vividhiH = and by facing various; parishramaishcha = troubles.
"This Rama is an excellent son, having qualities equal to those of Dasaratha. The king obtained Rama by performing a great penance and after facing various troubles."
asmin pravraajite raajaa na ciram vartayiShyati |
vidhavaa medinii nuunam kShipram eva bhaviShyati || 2-86-13
13. asmin = when he; pravrajite = having been to exiled; raajaa = the king Dasaratha; navaratryishhyati = will not survive; chiram = for long; medinii = this earth; bhavishhyati = will be; nuunam = surely; vidhavaa = without a husband; kshhiprameva = soon.
"When Rama having seen exiled, the king Dasaratha will not survive for long.This earth will surely be without a husband soon."
vinadya sumahaa naadam shrameNa uparataaH striyaH |
nirghoSha uparatam nuunam adya raaja niveshanam || 2-86-14
14. striyaH = the women; (in the gynoecium's; vinadya = having cried; sumahaanaadam = with agreat noise; uparataaH = would have ceased crying; shramena = out of fatigue; adya = now; nirghoshhaH = the noise; nuunam = surely; virtaH = would have stopped; raajanivashane = in the royal palace.
"The women in the gynoecium's, having cried with a great noise, would have ceased their crying out of fatigue. Now, the great noise would have stopped in the royal palace by now."
kausalyaa caiva raajaa ca tathaa eva jananii mama |
na aasha.nse yadi te sarve jiiveyuH sharvariim imaam || 2-86-15
15. naashamse = I do not think; kausalyachaiva = that Kausalya; raajaacha = king Dasaratha; tathaiva = and; mamajananii = my mother Sumitra; yadi = whether; tesarve = all of them; jiiveyuH = will survive; imaam = in this; rajaniim = night.
"I do not expect whether all of them, like Kausalya Dasaratha and even my mother Sumitra will survive at all till this night."
jiived api hi me maataa shatrughnasya anvavekShayaa |
duhkhitaa yaa tu kausalyaa viirasuur vinashiShyati || 2-86-16
16. anvavekshhyaa = by beholding; shatrughnasya = of Satrughna; me maataa = my mother; jiivedapicha = may even survive; ; saatu = but she; yaa = that; kausalya = Kausalya; viirasuuH = who gave birth to the eminent Rama; vinashishhyati = will die; duHkhitaa = of sorrow.
"By beholding Shatrughna, my mother perhaps may even survive. However, the afflicted Kausalya who gave birth to the eminent Rama will surely die."
atikraantam atikraantam anavaapya mano ratham |
raajye raamam anikShipya pitaa me vinashiShyati || 2-86-17
17. me pitaa = My father; dasaratha; anavaapya = having not obtained; manoratham = his wish; atikraantam atikraantan = over steppingly and over stappingly; anikSipya = and having not been able to install; raamam = Rama; raajye = in the kingdom; vinashiSyati = will die.
Without realising his long-cherished wish and failing to install Rama in the kingdom of Aodhya, my father Dasaratha will expire."
siddha arthaaH pitaram vR^ittam tasmin kaale hy upasthite |
preta kaaryeShu sarveShu sa.nskariShyanti bhuumipam || 2-86-18
18. tasminkaale = (when) that time; upasthite = comes; samskariSyanti = (those) who will perform; sarveSu = all; preta kaaryeSu = theobsequial rites; pitaram; of my father; bhuumipam = the king Dasaratha; vR^ittam = who expired; siddhaarthaaH = are indeed they who accomplished their purpose.
"Those who have accomplished their purpose (Shatrughna and others) will perform all the funeal honours to king Dasaratha, my father when the time comes for it."
ramya catvara sa.nsthaanaam suvibhakta mahaa pathaam |
harmya praasaada sampannaam sarva ratna vibhuuShitaam || 2-86-19
gaja ashva ratha sambaadhaam tuurya naada vinaaditaam |
sarva kalyaaNa sampuurNaam hR^iShTa puShTa jana aakulaam || 2-86-20
aaraama udyaana sampuurNaam samaaja utsava shaaliniim |
sukhitaa vicariShyanti raaja dhaaniim pitur mama || 2-86-21
19; 20; 21. vichariSyanti = (They) will inhabi;t sukhitaaH = joyfully; mama pituH = my father; raajadhaaniim = capital city; ramyachatvara samsthaanaam = with its pleasant cross roads and meeting places; suvibhakta mahaapathaam = with its main roads well laid-out; harmya praasaada sampannaam = sumptous with large houses and lofty mansions; sarva ratna vibhuushhitaam = and all the gems with which they are encrusted; gajaashva ratha sambaadhaam = with the elephants horses and chariots that abound there; tuuryanaada vinaaditaam = the sound of trumpets with which it resonates; sarva kalyaana sampuurNaam = the many diversions it contains; hR^iSTa janaakulaam = its prosperous and well-fed people; aaraamodyaana sampuurNaam = its luxurious gardens and parks;samaajotsava shaliniim = the assemblies and festivals that continuously take place in it.
"They will joyfully inhabit my father capital City, with its pleasant cross roads and meeting places, with its main roads well laid out, sumptuous with large houses and lofty mansions, with all the gems they are encrusted, with elephants horses and chariots that abound there, the sound of trumpets with which the city resonates, the many diversions it contains, its properous and well-fed people, its luxurious gardens and parks as well as the assmeblies and festivals that continuously take place inti."
api satya pratijnena saardham kushalinaa vayam |
nivR^itte samaye hy asmin sukhitaaH pravishemahi || 2-86-22
22. vayam api pravishamahi = shall we indeed entere Ayodhya; sukhitaaH = happily; kushalinaa saartham = along with that virtuous Rama; satya pratijJNena = who is true to his promise; nivR^itte = when he completes; asmin = this; samaye = term ( of exile)?
Shall we enter Ayodhya happily along with that virtuous Rama, who has truly redeemed his promise, when he completed his term of exile?
paridevayamaanasya tasya evam sumahaatmanaH |
tiShThato raaja putrasya sharvarii saa atyavartata || 2-86-23
23. tasya sumahaatmanaH = (While) that magnanimous; raajaputrasya = Prince; paridevayamaanasya = was lamenting; evam = thus; tiSTataH = stnading guard; saa shaarvarii = that night; atyavartata = passed.
While that magnamimous prince was lamenting thus, standing guard, the night passed.
prabhaate vimale suurye kaarayitvaa jaTaa ubhau |
asmin bhaagiirathii tiire sukham samtaaritau mayaa || 2-86-24
24. suurye = (When) the sun; prabhaate = rose; vimale = brightly; ubhau = the two of them; got kaarayitvaa jaTaaH = got their locks of hair matted; asmin = at the banks of River Ganga; samtaaritau = and were ferried; sukham = safely; mayaa = by me.
"When the sun rose brightly in the next morning Rama and Lakshmana got their locks of hair matted into a thick mass at the banks of River Ganga and they were safely ferried by me."
jaTaa dharau tau druma ciira vaasasau |
mahaa balau kunjara yuuthapa upamau |
vara iShu caapa asi dharau param tapau |
vyavekShamaaNau saha siitayaa gatau ||2-86-25
25. tau = those; paramtapau = Rama and Lakshamana; mahaabalau = possessing great strength; jaTaadharau = wearing matted locks of hair; drumachiiravaasasau = and clothes made of bark; kuN^jara yuutha popamau = like unto the leaders of a herd of elephants; vareSu chaapaasidharau = wielding excellent bow; arrows and sword; vyapekSamaaNau = looking back at me; gatam = went away; siitaayaa saha = with Seetha.
"Rama and Lakshmana, who were capable of tormenting their enemies, possessing great strength, wearing matted locks of hari and clothes made of bark, like unto the leaders of herd of elephants, wielding excellent bow, arrows and sword, looking back at me, went away with Seetha.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe ShaDashiititamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2003, K. M. K. Murthy