Manthara with her wicked thoughts tries to convince Kaikeyi of the possible misfortune that could occur to Kaikeyi and her family if Sri Rama becomes the King. Although Kaikeyi's initial reaction is to praise Rama's qualities; her mind is slowly but surely poisoned by Manathara's sinful words.
mantharaa tvabhyasuuyainaamutsR^ijyaabharaNaM cha tat|
uvaachedaM tato vaakyaM kopaduHkhasamanvitaa || 2-8-1
1. mantharaatu = but Manthara; abhyasuuya = became indignant; enaam = with her; utsR^ijya = cast down; tat = that; aabharanam = ornament; tataH = afterwards; kopaduHkhasamanvitaa = with anger and pain; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these words.
Manthara, becoming indignant with Kaikeyi, threw down the ornament given to her and with anger and distress spoke the following words:
harshhaM kimidamasthaane kR^itavatyasi baalishe |
shokasaagaramadhyasthamaatmaanaM naavabudhyase || 2-8-2
2. baalishe = O; foolish one! naavabudhyase = not knowing; aatmaanam = about you; shokasaagara madhyastam = who are in the midst of an ocean of trouble; kim idam = what is it; kR^itavatii asi = you are doing; harshham = (in making) delight; asthaane = of an ill suited matter.
"O, foolish one! Not knowing that you are in the midst of an ocean of trouble, what is it that you are so delighted about, in a matter to be grieved?"
manasaa prahasaami tvaaM devi duHkhaardhitaa satii |
yachchhochitavye hR^ishhTaasi praapyedaM vyasanaM mahat || 2-8-3
3. devi = O; queen! duH.khaarditaasatii = stricken with grief; prahasaami = I laugh; manasaa = mentally; tvaam = at you; yat = for; hrishhTaa asi = you are rejoicing; praapya = after getting; idam = this; mahat = great; vyasanam = calamity; shochitavye = which is to be grieved.
"Oh, queen! Though stricken with grief, I mentally laugh at you in that you are rejoicing at the time when a great calamity is befalling you."
shochaami durmatitvaM te kaa hi praajJNaa praharshhayet |
areH sapatniiputrasya vR^iddhiM mR^ityumivaagataam || 2-8-4
4. shochaami = I lament over; te = your; durmatitvam = ill-considered mind; kaa praaGyaa = which intelligent woman; praharshhayet = gets delighted; vR^iddhim = over prosperity; sapatniiputrasya = of stepson; areH = who is an enemy; mR^ityumiva = (just as rejoicing) over death; aagataam = which has befallen.
"I am lamenting over your foolish mind. Does any intelligent woman feel happy over the prosperity of a stepson who is considered an enemy? Does it not amount to praising a befalling death?"
bharataadeva raamasya raajyasaadhaaraNaadbhayam |
tadvichintya vishhaNNaasmi bhaya bhiitaaddhi jaayate || 2-8-5
5. raamasya = To Rama; bhayam = (there is) fear; bharataadeva = from Bharata; raajyasaadhaaraNaat = who has equal right to kingdom; vichintya = In thinking over; tat = that (matter); vishhaNNa asmi = I am sorrowful; bhayam = Fear; jaayate hi = begets from; bhiitaat = those who fear (us).
"Rama has a fear about Bharata because Bharata has equal rights over the kingdom. In thinking about this matter, I am getting anguished. Do we not get disasters from those who are afraid of us?"
lakshmaNo hi maheshhvaaso raamaM sarvaatmanaa gataH |
shatrughnashchaapi bharataM kaakutthsaM lakshmaNo yathaa || 2-8-6
6. lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; maheshhvaasaH = having mighty bow; gataH = joined; raamam = Rama; sarvaatmanaa = with all his heart; shatrughnaH cha api = Satrughna also; bharatam = (is faithful) to Bharata; kaakutsam yathaa = as to Rama; lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana.
"Lakshmana, wielding a great bow, joined Rama with all his heart. Shatrughna is as faithful to Bharata as Lakshmana to Rama".
pratyaasannakrameNaapi bharatastaiva bhaamini |
raajyakramo viprakR^ishhTastayostaavatkaniiyasoH || 2-8-7
7. bhaamini = Kaikeyi!; pratyaasanna krameNaapi = In line with proximity of birth; raajyakramaH = the lineage of kingdom; bharatasyaiva = is to Bharata only; tayoH taavat = to the extent of other two(Lakshmana and Satrughna); kaniiyasoH = who are younger; viprakR^ishhTaH = it is far away.
"Oh Kaikeyi! In line with even the proximity of birth; the claim to the throne of Bharata alone can be pressed, that of Lakshmana and Satrughna who are younger is out of question."
vidushhaH kshatrachaaritre praajJNasya praaptakaariNaH |
bhayaatpravepe raamasya chintayantii tavaatmajam || 2-8-8
8. vidushhaH = (Rama is a )learned man; praaGyasya = efficient; kshhaatrachaaritre = in politics; praapta kaariNaH = he who acts appropriately and in time; bhayaat = fearing (such Rama); pravepe = I am shaken; chintayantii = to be thinking; aatmajam = of your son.
"Rama is a learned man and a political statesman. His actions are timely and appropriate. When thinking of your son's calamity to be resulted from Rama, I get shaken with fear".
subhagaa khalu kausalyaa yasyaaH putro.abhishhekshyate |
yauvaraajyena mahataa shvaH pushhyeNa dvijottamaiH || 2-8-9
9. kausalyaa = Kausalya; subhagaakhalu = is having good fortune; yasyaaH = that Kausalya's; putraH = son; svaH = tomorrow; pushyeNa = on the day of Pushyami star; abhishhekshhyate = is going to be anointed; mahataa yauvaraajyena = for great princely kingdom; dvijottamai = by the best of Brahmans.
"Kausalya is very fortunate. Brahmans are going to anoint her son for the great princely kingdom tomorrow on the day of Pushyami star".
praaptaaM sumahatiiM priitiM pratiitaaM taaM hatadvishham |
upasthaasyasi kausalyaaM daasiivattvaM kR^itaaJNjaliH || 2-8-10
10. kR^itaanjaliH = with folded arms; daasiivat = as a maid servant; tvam = you; upasthaasyasi = will serve; taam kausalyaam = that Kausalya; praaptaam = who gets; sumahatiim = very great; priitim = happiness; pratiitaam = famous; hatadvishham = annihilator of enemies.
"With folded arms, as a maid-servant, you have to serve that Kausalya who having reached great prosperity, in the height of joy, will dispose of her adversaries (in the person of Bharata and yourself)".
evam chettvaM sahaasmaabhistasyaaH preshhya bhavishhyasi |
putrashcha tava raamasya preshhyabhaavaM gamishhyati || 2-8-11
11. evam = thus; tvam bhavishhyasi yadi = if you become; preshhyaa = servant maid; tasyaaH = to her; asmaabhiH saha = along with us; tava = your; putrashcha = son also; gamishhyati = will get; preshhyabhaavam = servitude; raamasya = of Rama.
"Thus, if you become Kausalya's servant-maid along with us, your son Bharata will be Rama's attendant."
hR^ishhTaaH khalu bhavishhyanti raamasya paramaaH striyaH |
aprahR^ishhTaa bhavishhyanti snushhaaste bharatakshaye || 2-8-12
12. raamasya = Rama's; paramaastriyaH = great wives; bhavantikhalu = will become; hR^ishTaaH = delighted; te = your; snushhaaH = daughters-in-law; bhavishhyanti = will become; aprahR^isTaaH = unhappy; bharata kshhaye = of Bharata's weak position.
"Rama's wives will get delighted. Your daughters-in-law will be unhappy because of Bharata's waning position."
Comment: The words 'Rama's wives' here do not indicate that Rama had multiple wives. Manathara refers to a possible future where Rama being a King would marry other women. It was a norm then for a king to have more than one wife.
taaM dR^ishhTvaa paramapriitaaM bruvantiiM mantharaaM tataH |
raamasyaiva guNaan devii kaikeyi prashashaMsa ha || 2-8-13
13. tataH = afterwards; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; taam = that; mantharaaam = manthara; bruvantiim = thus talking; param = much; apriitaam = distasteful word; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; prashashamsaH = praised; raamasya guNena = Rama's virtues.
Hearing Manthara speak thus in many distasteful words, Kaikeyi began to extol Rama's virtues, saying: -
dharmajJNo gurubhirdaantaH kR^itajJNa satyavaakchuchi |
raamo raajJNH suto jyeshhTho yauvaraajyamato.arhati || 2-8-14
14. raamaH = Rama; dharmaGyaH = knows righteousness; daantaH = trained by; gurubhiH = elders; kR^itajJNyaH = one who has gratitude; satyavaak = speaker of truth; suchiH = clean in conduct; jyeshhTaH = elder; sutaH = son; raajJNaH = of king Dasaratha; ataH = hence; arhati = eligible; youvaraajyam = for princely kingdom.
"Rama knows all righteousness. Elders trained him. He has a proper gratitude. He speaks truth. He has a clean conduct. He is the eldest son of king Dasaratha and hence eligible for the kingdom."
bhraatR^uunbhR^ityaaMshcha diirghaayuH pitR^ivatpaalayishhyati |
saMtapyase kathaM kubje shrutvaa raamaabhishhechanam || 2-8-15
15. diirghaayuH = the long living Rama; paalayishhyati = will protect; bhraatroom = brothers; bhR^ityaamshcha = and servants; pitR^ivat = like father; kubje = O; the hunch-backed one! katham = how; santapyase = are you pained; shrutvaa = after hearing; raamaabhishhechanam = Rama's anointment.
"The long living Rama will protect his brothers and servants like a father. O, the hunch backed one! Why are you so pained on hearing about Rama's coronation?"
bharatashchaapi raamasya dhruvaM varshhashataatparam |
pitR^ipaitaamahaM raajyamavaaptaa purushharshhabhaH || 2-8-16
16. param = after; varshhashataat = one hundred years; purushharshhabhaH = the best among men; bharatashchaapi = Bharata also; avaaptaa = will get; raamasya = Rama's; raajyam = kingdom; pitR^ipaitaamaham = which belongs to (his) father and forefathers.
"After Rama's rule for one hundred years, Bharata the best among men will certainly replace Rama on his father's throne, which is that of his ancestors."
saa tvamabhyudaye praapte vartamaane cha manthare |
bhavishhyati cha kalyaaNe kimarthaM paritapyase || 2-8-17
17. manthare = O; Manthara! praapte = (When we) got; abhyudaye = an occasion for rejoicing; vartamaanecha = as at present ; kalyaaNe = and when a festive occasion; bhavishhyati = is to come off in future (too in the form of Bharata's installation; no matter even if it comes after a hundred years); kimartham = why; saa tvam = that you; paritapyase = feel agonized like this as though burning (with jealousy)?
"Oh, Manthara! When we got an occasion for rejoicing as at present and when a festive occasion is to come off in future (too in the form of Bharata's installation, no matter even if it comes after a hundred years), why do you feel agonized like this as though burning (with jealousy)?"
yathaa ne bharato maanyastathaa bhuuyo.api raaghaavaH |
kausalyaato.ariktaM cha so hi shushruushhate hi maam || 2-8-18
18. me = to me; bharataH = Bharata; yathaa = how; maanyaH = fit to be loved; tathaa = like that; raaghavaH = Rama also; bhuuyaH api = and even more; saH = he; anushushruushhate hi = doing service; atiriktam = more; maam = to me; kausalyaataH = than Kausalya.
"For me, Rama is as lovable as Bharata and even more. Is he not doing more service to me than to Kausalya?"
raajyaM yadi hi raamasya bharatasyaapi tattadaa |
manyate hi yathaatmaanaM tathaa bhraatR^uuMshcha raaghavaH || 2-8-19
19. raajyam = kingdom; yadi raamasya = if it is of Rama; tadaa = then; tat = that; bharatasyaapi hi = is of Bharata also; raaghavaH = Rama; manyate = thinks about; bhraatR^iiMshcha = his brothers; yathaa tathaa = on par with; aatmaanam = his own self.
"If Rama has kingdom then Bharata has it as well. Rama esteems his brothers just as his own self."
kaikeyiivachanaM shrutvaa mantharaa bhR^ishaduHkhitaa |
diirghamushhNaM niHshvasya kaikeyiimidamabraviit || 2-8-20
20. mantharaa = Manthara; shrutvaa = after hearing; kaikeyii vachanam = Kaikeyi's words; bhrisha duH.khitaa = felt very sad; niHshvasya = and sighing; diirgham = long; ushhNam cha = and hot; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; Kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi.
Manthara, after hearing Kaikeyi's words, felt very sad and after a long and hot sigh, spoke to her the following words:
anarthadarshinii maurkhyaannaatmaanamavabudhyase |
shokavyasanavistiirNe majjantii duHkhasaagare || 2-8-21
21. majjantii = (You are getting) immersed; duHkhasaagare = in an ocean of sorrow; shoka vyasana vistiirNe = filled with misery and danger; mourkhyaat = Due to stupidity; anarthadarshinii = (you are) not seeing the truth; na avabudhyase = not knowing; aatmaanam = yourself.
"On one side, you are getting immersed in an ocean of sorrow filled with misery and danger. But due to stupidity, you are not able to perceive the truth and you fail to assess your real position."
bhavitaa raaghavo raajaa raaghavasyaanu yaH sutaH |
raajavaMshaattu kaikeyi bharataH parihaasyate || 2-8-22
22. kaikeyi = O; Kaikeyi! raaghavaH = Rama; bhavitaa = will become; raajaa = king; raaghavasya anu = after Rama; yaH = whoever; sutaH = the son is (he becomes the king);bharataH tu = but Bharata; parihaasyate = will be removed; raajavaMshaat = from the royal clan.
"O,Kaikeyi! If Rama becomes the king, his son will become the king after him in succession. Thus, Bharata's name itself will be removed from the royal clan."
na hi raajJNaH sutaaH sarve raajye tishhThanti bhaamini |
sthaapyamaaneshhu sarveshhu sumahaananayo bhavet || 2-8-23
23. bhaamini = O; Kaikeyi! sarve = all; sutaaH = sons; raajJNyaH = of a king; natishhTantiH = will not be installed; raajye = for kingdom; sarveshhu sthaapyamaaneshhu = If all are installed; bhavet = there will be; sumahaan = a great; anayaH = lawlessness.
"O, Kaikeyi! All the sons of a king will not be crowned for a kingdom. If all are installed, there will be a great lawlessness."
tasmaajjyeshhThe hi kaikeyi raajyatantraaNi paarthivaaH |
sthaapayantyanavadyaaN^gi guNavatsvatareshhvapi || 2-8-24
24. kaikeyi = O; Kaikeyi! anavadyaaN^gi = who has deformless body-parts; tasmaat = that is why; paarthivaaH = kings; sthaapayanti = install; jyeshhTe = eldest son; itareshhvapi = eventhough others; guNavatsu = may be full of virtues; raajyatantraaNi = to kingly affairs.
"Therefore, kings, O, Kaikeyi of faultless limbs, install their eldest son, eventhough others may be full of virtues, as their successor to the throne."
asaavatyantanirbhagna stavaputro bhavishhyati |
anaathavatsukhebhyashcha raajavaMshaachcha vatsale || 2-8-25
25. vatsale = O; affectionate one! tava = your; asou = this; putraH = son; bhavishhayati = will become; atyanta nirbhagnaH = a complete loser; sukhebhyaH cha = from comforts; raajavamshaachcha = and even from royal clan; anaathavat = like an orphan.
"Oh, Kaikeyi the affectionate one! Your son will be completely distant from comforts and even from the royal clan; like an orphan."
saahaM tvadarthe saMpraaptaa tvaM tu maaM naavabudhyase |
sapatnivR^iddau yaa me tvaM pradeyaM daatumichchisi || 2-8-26
26. saa aham = That I; sampraapta = came; tvadarthe = for your sake; tvam tu = but you; naavabudhyase = are not understanding; maam = me; yaa = that; tvam = you; ichchhasi = wish; daatum = to give; me = me; pradeyam = a present; sapatni vriddhou = when there is prosperity for step-wife.
"I came here in your interests. But you have not understood me. You think it fit to give me a present when your step-wife is getting prospered."
dhruvaM tu bharataM raamaH praapya raajyamakaNTakam |
deshaantaraM vaasayitaa lokaantaramathaapi va || 2-8-27
27. raamaH = Rama; praapya = after getting; raajyam = kingdom; akaNTakam = without hindrance; nayitaa = will send; bharatam = Bharata; deshaantaram vaasayitaa vaa = either to some other country; athaapivaa = or otherwise; lokaantaram = to some other world; dhruvam = this is certain.
"Rama, ascending the throne without hindrance, will either send away Bharata to some other country or have him put to death. This is certain."
baala eva hi maatulyaM bharato naayitastvayaa |
sannikarshhaachcha sauhaardaM jaayate sthaavareshhvapi || 2-8-28
28. bharataH = Bharata; naayitaH hi = was sent; baalaH eva = in his childhood itself; maatulyam = to his maternal uncle's house; tvayaa = by you; sannikarshhaat = by being nearer; souhaardam = friedship; jaayate = is created; sthaavareshhvapi = even on inanimate things.
"You sent Bharata to his maternal uncle's house even in his childhood. By being nearer, love is born even on inanimate objects. By sending Bharata to a distant place, you made Dasaratha to have no affection towards him."
bharatasyaanuvashagaH shatrughno.api samaM gataH |
lakshmaNo hi yathaa raamaM tathaasau bharataM gataH || 2-8-29
29. shatrughno.api = Shatrughna also; anuvashagaH = was drawn; bharatsya = towards Bharata; gataH = and went; samam = along with him; yathaa = how; lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; gataH = joined with; raamam = Rama; tathaa = like that; asou = this (Shatrughna); bharatam = with Bharata.
"Shatrughna was drawn towards Bharata and went along with him. Just as Lakshmana joined Rama, Shatrughna joined Bharata."
Comment: Sage Valmiki might be implying here that if Shatrughna were to be present then at Ayodhya, he would have tried for the prosperity of Bharata.
shruuyate hi drumaH kashchichchettavyo vanajiivibhiH |
sannikarshhaadishhiikaabhirmo chitaH paramaadbhayaat || 2-8-30
30. shruuyate hi = it is heard that; kashchit = certain; drumaH = tree; chhettavyaH = which is to be cut; vanajiivibhiH = by people living in forest; mochitaH = was relieved; paramaat bhayaat = of (this) great danger; ishhiikaabhiH sannikarshhaat = by proximity to Ishhiika grass.
"We hear that a tree marked down for felling by foresters, when covered by thorny Ishhiika grass, is saved from this great danger of cutting. So also, Dasaratha might have supported Bharata if he was staying near to him in Ayodhya."
goptaa hi raamaM saumitrirlakshmaNaM chaapi raaghavaH |
ashvinoriva saubhraatraM tayorlokeshhu vishrutam || 2-8-31
31. soumitriH = Lakshmana; goptaahi = will protect; raamam = Rama; raaghavaH = Rama; lakshmaNaM chaapi = (will protect) Lakshmana also; tayoH = their; soubhraatram eva = brotherly love; vishrutam = is famous; lokeshhu = in the world; asvinoH = as that of Aswinis.
"Lakshmana protects Rama. Rama protects Lakshmana. Their brotherly love is as famous as that of Aswini celestials."
tasmaanna lakshmaNe raamaH paapaM kiJNchitkarishhyati |
raamastu bharate paapaM kuryaaditi na saMshayaH || 2-8-32
32. tasmaat = Hence; raamaH = Rama; nakarishyati = will not do; kiJNchit = any little; paapam = sin; lakshmaNe = to Lakshmana; bharate tu = but to Bharata; raamaH = Rama; kuryaat = will do; paapam = a sinful act; iti = in this; nasamshayaH = there is no doubt.
"Hence, Rama will not do a sinful act of killing Lakshmana. However there is no doubt that he will do so in the case of Bharata."
tasmaadraajagR^ihaadeva vanaM gachchhatu te sutaH |
etaddhi rochate mahyaM bhR^ishM chaapi hitaM tava || 2-8-33
33. tasmaat = Hence; etat = this; rochate hi = is wished; mahyam = by me; te sutaH = (that) your son; gachhatu = goes; vanam = to forest; raajagR^ihaadeva = from royal palace (of his uncle) itself; bhR^isham = (This is) very much; hitam = beneficial; tavaapicha = to you also.
"Hence, I feel that it is better for your son to go to forest directly from his uncle's house. This is good for you too."
evaM te jJNaatipakshasya shreyashchaiva bhavishhyati |
yadi chedbharato dharmaatpitryaM raajyamavaapsyati || 2-8-34
34. bharataH avaapsyati yadi = If Bharata gets; raajyam = kingdom; pitryam = of his father; dharmaat = as per law; bhavishhyati = it will become; shreyaH = beneficial; te = to you; jNyaatipakshhasya chaiva = and to your side of relatives; evam chet = if it happens thus.
"If Bharata gets his father's kingdom as per law, it will be beneficial to you and your side of relatives."
sa te sukhochito baalo raamasya sahajo ripuH |
samR^iddhaarthasya nashhTaartho jiivishhyati kathaM vashe || 2-8-35
35. te = your; saH = that; baalaH = child; sukhochitaH = who is habituated to comforts; raamasya sahajaH ripuH = is Rama's natural enemy ; katham = how; nasTaarthaH = Bharatha; who failed to achieve purpose; jiivishhyati = will live; vashe = under control; samR^iddhaarthasya = of Rama whose flourishing object has been realized?
"Your youthful son, habituated to comforts, is a natural enemy to Rama. How can Bharata who failed to achieve his purpose live under control of Rama; whose flourishing object has been realised?"
abhidrutamivaaraNye siMhena gajayuuthapam |
prachchhaadyamaanaM raameNa bharataM traatumarhasi || 2-8-36
36. traatum arhasi = you ought to protect; bharatam = Bharata; prachchhaadyamaanam = who is being wrapped up; raameNa = by Rama; gajayuudhapam iva = as a leading elephant; abhidrutam = being chased; siMhena = by a lion; araNye = in forest.
"Rama is chasing and bringing down Bharata as a lion chases an elephant-king in forest. You ought to protect Bharata."
darpaanniraakR^itaa puurvaM tvayaa saubhaagyavattayaa |
raamamaataa sapatnii te kathaM vairaM na shaatayet || 2-8-37
37. puurvam = previously; niraakR^itaa = being disrepected; darpaat = with arrogance; tvayaa = by you; soubhaagyavathayaa = as you were fortunate; katham = how; raamamaataa = Rama's mother (Kausalya); te = your; sapatnii = rival wife; na shaatayet = will not revenge; vairam = for that animosity?
"Previously, you treated Kausalya with disrespect due to arrogance that you were fortunate. Will not such Kausalya, your rival wife, revenge for that animosity?"
yadaa hi raamaH pR^ithiviimavaapsyati |
tadaa gamishhyasyashubhaM paraabhavaM |
sahaiva diinaa bharatena bhaamini || 2-8-38
38. bhaamini = O; Kaikeyi! yadaa = when; raamaH = Rama; avaapsyati = gets; pR^ithiviim = this earth; prabhuuta ratnaakara shaila paattanaam = holding great ocean; mountains and towns; tadaa = then; bharatena sahaiva = along with Bharata; gamishhyasi = you will get; ashubham = bad; diinaa = pitiable; paraabhavam = ignominy.
"O, Kaikeyi! The day Rama becomes lord of this earth with its great oceans, mountains and towns; that day you and your Bharata will get a bad and pitiable position of ignominy."
yadaa hi raamaH pR^ithiviimavaapsyati |
dhruvaM praNashhTo bharato bhavishhyati |
ato hi saMchintaya raajyamaatmaje |
parsya chaivaadya vivaasakaaraNam || 2-8-39
39. yadaahi = when; raamaH = Rama; avaapsyasi = gets; pr^ithiviim = the earth; bharataH = Bharata; bhavishhyati = will become; dhruvam = certainly; praNashhTaH = ruined; ataH = hence; saMchintaya = think of; raajyam = kingdom; aatmaje = to your son; vivaasakaaraNam = and causing exile; parasya = to your enemy; Rama.
"When Rama gets power of the kingdom Bharata will certainly get ruined. Hence, think of a solution to get your son Bharata the kingdom and to send Rama, your enemy, to exile."
- - -
|| ityaarshhe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyakaaNDe ashhThamaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy[Revised: May 05]