Shatrughna asks Bharata why even Lakshmana could not prevent Dasaratha from sending Rama to the forest. Meanwhile, when Manthara arrives at the scen, Shatrughna seizes her with his powerful hand, threatens to punish her and abuses Kaikeyi too. When Kaikeyi pleads for mercy with her son, Bharata intervenses and Shatrughna releases Manthara.
अत्र यात्राम् समीहन्तम् शत्रुघ्नः लक्ष्मण अनुजः |
भरतम् शोक सम्तप्तम् इदम् वचनम् अब्रवीत् || २-७८-१
1. atha = thereafter; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; lakshmaNanujaH = the youger brother of Lakshmana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; bharatam = to Bharata; shoka samtaptam = who was tormented with giref; samiihantam = and desired; yaatram = to undertake an expedition (to Rama)
Thereafter, Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana spoke the following words to Bharata, who was tormented with grief and who desired to undertake an expedition to Rama.
गतिर् यः सर्व भूतानाम् दुह्खे किम् पुनर् आत्मनः |
स रामः सत्त्व सम्पन्नः स्त्रिया प्रव्राजितः वनम् || २-७८-२
2. kim punaH = how much more to tell; aatmanaH = about our grief; saH = when that; raamaH = Rama; sattvasampannaH = the even-minded; yaH = who; gatiH = is a refuge; sarvabhuutaanaam = for all beings; striyaa = by a woman; pravraajitaH = he was sent away; vanam = to the forest.
"When that even-minded Rama is a refuge for all beings, how much more to tell about our seeking solace to him in our grief? He has been abandoned to the forest by a woman."
बलवान् वीर्य सम्पन्नो लक्ष्मणो नाम यो अपि असौ |
किम् न मोचयते रामम् कृत्वा अपि पितृ निग्रहम् || २-७८-३
3. yaH = which; lakSmanaama = so-called Lakshmana; balavaan = the strong-man; viirya sampannaH = possessed of power; kim = why; asau api = he even; na mochayatesma = could not rescue; raama = rama (from distress) kR^itvaa = by making pitR^inigraham = our father to restrain from doing it?
"Why the so-called Lakshmana, the strong and powerful man, even could not rescue Rama from distress by making our father to restrain from doing it?"
पूर्वम् एव तु निग्राह्यः समवेक्ष्य नय अनयौ |
उत्पथम् यः समारूढो नार्या राजा वशम् गतः || २-७८-४
4. samavekSya = by perceving; nayaanayou = prudence and imprudence; utpatham = in that wrong course; samaaruuDhaH = adopted raajaa = by the king; yaH = who; gataH = has fallen; vasham = to the control; naaryaaH = of a woman; (Lakshmana sould have); nigraahya = restrained (Dasaratha) puurvameva = even before itself.
"By perceiving the prudence and imprudence in that wrong course adopted by the king, who has fallen into the clutches of a woman, Lakshmana should have restrained Dasaratha even at the beginning itself."
इति सम्भाषमाणे तु शत्रुघ्ने लक्ष्मण अनुजे |
प्राग् द्वारे अभूत् तदा कुब्जा सर्व आभरण भूषिता || २-७८-५
5. (while); shatrughna; rakSmaNaanuge = the younger brother of Lakshmana; sambhaaSamaaNe = was talking; iti = thus; tadaa = then; kubjaa = Manthara the hump-backed; sarvaabharaNa bhuushitaa = adorned with all types of ornaments; abhuut = appeared; praagdvaare = at the eastern gate.
While Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana was talking thus, the hump-backed Manthara duly adorned with all types of ornaments, appeared at the eastern gate.
लिप्ता चन्दन सारेण राज वस्त्राणि बिभ्रती |
विविधम् विविधैस्तैस्तैर्भूषणैश्च विभूषिता || २-७८-६
6. liptaa = anointed; chandana saareNa = with a scent of sandal-word; bibhratii = wearing; raajavastraaNi = royal clothes; vibhuuSitaa = she was adorned; taistaiH = by several; vividhaiH = kinds; bhuuSaNaishcha = of ornaments; vividham = in various ways.
Anointed with a scent of sandal-wood and wearing royal clothes, she was bedecked with several kinds of ornaments of every description in various ways.
मेखला दामभिः चित्रै रज्जु बद्धा इव वानरी |
बभासे बहुभिर्बद्धा रज्जुबद्देव वानरी || २-७८-७
7. baddhaa = Studded with; chitraiH = bright coloured; mekhalaadaamabhiH = girdle-bands; bahubhiH = and many; anyaiH = other; shubha bhuuSaNaishcha = excellent ornaments; (she); babhaase = appeared; vaanariiva = like a female monkey; rajjubaddhaa = tied with ropes!
Studded with bright-coloured girdle-bands and many other excellent ornaments, Manthara appeared like a female-monkey tied with ropes!
ताम् समीक्ष्य तदा द्वाह्स्थो भृशम् पापस्य कारिणीम् |
गृहीत्वा अकरुणम् कुब्जाम् शत्रुघ्नाय न्यवेदयत् || २-७८-८
8. tadaa = then; samiikSya = beholding; taam kubjaam = that hump-backed Manthara; subhR^isham = the very much; paapakaariNiim = sinful; akaruNaam = and insenstive one; dvaaHsthaaH = the door-keepers; gR^ihiitvaa = caught her; nyavedayan = and delivered her; shatrughnaaya = to Shatrughna; (as follows)
Beholding that hump-backed Manthara, the very much sinful and insensitive woman, the door-keepers caught her and delivered her to Shatrughna (with the following words:)
यस्याः कृते वने रामः न्यस्त देहः च वः पिता |
सा इयम् पापा नृशंसा च तस्याः कुरु यथा मति || २-७८-९
9. iyam = here; saa = is that; paapaa = sinful; nR^ishamsaa = and cruel woman; yasyaaH kR^ite = by whose act; raamaH = Rama; vane = is in the forest; vaH pitaaH = and your father; nyasta dehashcha = has laid donw his body; kuru = take action; yathaamati = as fit you please; tasyaaH = with her.
"Here is that sinful and cruel woman, by whose act Rama is in the forest and your father has laid down his body. Do with her, as you consider fitting."
शत्रुघ्नः च तत् आज्ञाय वचनम् भृश दुह्खितः |
अन्तः पुर चरान् सर्वान् इति उवाच धृत व्रतः || २-७८-१०
10. aajJNaaya = hearing; tat = those; vachanam = words; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; bhR^isha duHkhitaH = who was very much in gief; dhR^ita vrtaH = and firmly resolute; uvaacha = spoke; iti = thus; sarvaan = to all those; antaHpuracharaan = who move in that gynaecium.
Hearing those words, Shatrughna who was very much in grief and was firmly resolute, spoke to all those inmates of that gynaecium, as follows:
तीव्रम् उत्पादितम् दुह्खम् भ्रातृऋणाम् मे तथा पितुः |
यया सा इयम् नृशंसस्य कर्मणः फलम् अश्नुताम् || २-७८-११
11. saa iyam = let this woman; yayaa = who; utpaaditam = has created; tiivaram = a serious; duHkham = misfortune; bhraatR^iiNaam = to my brothers; me = amd my; pituH = father; ashnutaam = receive; phalam = the fruit; nR^ishamsasya = of her cruel; karmaNaH = act.
"Let this woman, who created serious misfortune to my brothers and my father, receive the fruit of her cruel act."
एवम् उक्ता च तेन आशु सखी जन समावृता |
गृहीता बलवत् कुब्जा सा तत् गृहम् अनादयत् || २-७८-१२
12. uktvaa = speaking; evam = thsu; sakhiijana samvR^itaa = in the mist of her companions; saa kubjaa = that hunch-backed woman; gR^ihiitaa = was seized; balavat = powerfully; aashu = soon; tena = by him; (and she); tat gR^iham = made that mansion; anaadayat = resound (with her shrieks).
Speaking thus in the midst of her companions, he seized that hunch-backed woman with his powerful hand soon and she in turn made that mansion resound with her shrieks.
ततः सुभृश सम्तप्तः तस्याः सर्वः सखी जनः |
क्रुद्धम् आज्ञाय शत्रुघ्नम् व्यपलायत सर्वशः || २-७८-१३
13. tataH = then; sarvaH = all; tasyaaH = her; sakhiijanaH = companions; aajJNaaya = understood; shatrughnam = Shatrughna; kruddham = to have been angry; subhR^isha samtaptaH = and greatly agonised; have been angry; vipalaayata = (they) ran away; sarvashaH = in all directions.
Then, her companion, having conceived Shatrughna's anger and extremely agonised as they were, ran away helter-shelter in all directions.
अमन्त्रयत कृत्स्नः च तस्याः सर्व सखी जनः |
यथा अयम् समुपक्रान्तः निह्शेषम् नः करिष्यति || २-७८-१४
14. sarvaH = all; aasyaaH = her; sakhiijanaH = companions; amantrayata = surnised (as follows); yathaa = the way how; ayam = he; samupakraantaH = is coming up; kariSyati = he will make; naH = us; niHsheSam = finised.
All the company of women there surmised as follows : "The way how he is coming up, he will surely slay us all"
सानुक्रोशाम् वदान्याम् च धर्मज्ञाम् च यशस्विनीम् |
कौसल्याम् शरणम् यामः सा हि नो अस्तु ध्रुवा गतिः || २-७८-१५
15. sharaNam yaama = we shall take refuge; kausalyaam = with Kausalya; saanukroshaam = the compassionate; vadaanyaam ca = and the magnanimous; dharmajJNaam = the virtuous; yashasviniim = and the illustrious woman; astu = let; saa = her; dhruvaa = be the sure; gatiH = asylum; naH = for us.
"We shall take reguge with the compassionate, magnanimous, virtuous and illustrious Kausalya. Let her be the sure asylum for us."
स च रोषेण ताम्र अक्षः शत्रुघ्नः शत्रु तापनः |
विचकर्ष तदा कुब्जाम् क्रोशन्तीम् पृथिवी तले || २-७८-१६
16. saH = shatrughnaH = the Shatrughna; shatrutaapanaH = the tormentor of enemies; taamraakSaH = red eyes; tadaa = then; vichakarSa = violently dragged; kroshantiim = the crying; kubjaam = hum-back; dharaNiitale = along the floor.
That Shatrughna, the tormentor of enemies, with his raging red eyes then violently dragged the crying hump-back along the floor.
तस्या हि आकृष्यमाणाया मन्थरायाः ततः ततः |
चित्रम् बहु विधम् भाण्डम् पृथिव्याम् तत् व्यशीर्यत || २-७८-१७
17. (While); tasyaaH = that; mantharaayaaH = Manthara; aakR^iSyamaaNaayaaH = was violently dragged; bahuvidham = the various kinds; tat = of those; chitram = colourful; bhaaN^Dam = ornaments; vyashiiryata = were scattered; tatastataH = here and there; pR^ithivyaam = on the floor.
While that Manthara was violently dragged, here various colourful ornaments were scattered asunder here and there on the floor.
तेन भाण्डेन सम्कीर्णम् श्रीमद् राज निवेशनम् |
अशोभत तदा भूयः शारदम् गगनम् यथा || २-७८-१८
18. tadaa = then; shriimat = the splendid; raajaniveshanam = royal mansion; vistiirNam = scattered; tena = by those; bhaN^Dena = ornaments; ashobhata = appeared; bhuuyaH = very much; gaganam yathaa = as a sky; shaaradam = in antumn (studded with innumerable stars).
Thus, that splendid royal mansion scattered by those ornaments, appeared very much like an autumnal sky studded with innumerable stars.
स बली बलवत् क्रोधात् गृहीत्वा पुरुष ऋषभः |
कैकेयीम् अभिनिर्भर्त्स्य बभाषे परुषम् वचः || २-७८-१९
19. balii = the strong; saH puruSarSabhaH = and that eminent man; gR^ihiitvaa = seizing; balavat = violently; krodhaat = with rage; abhinirbhartsya = and spoke; paruSam = harsha; vachaH = words.
Shatrughna, the strong and the eminent man, thus violently seizing her with rage, sharply rebuked Kaikeyi and spoke harsh words to her.
तैः वाक्यैः परुषैः दुह्खैः कैकेयी भृश दुह्हिता |
शत्रुघ्न भय सम्त्रस्ता पुत्रम् शरणम् आगता || २-७८-२०
20. bhR^isha duHkhitaaH = agoinsed very much; taiH = by those; paruSaiH = harsha; duHkhaiH = and painful; vaakyaiH = words; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; strughna bhaya samtaptaa = afflicted by the fear for Shatrughna; aagataa = come to; sharaNam = the refuge; putam = of her son.
Agonised very much by those harsh and painful words, Kiakeyi overwhelmed as she was with the fear of Shatrughna, took refuge with Bharata.
ताम् प्रेक्ष्य भरतः क्रुद्धम् शत्रुघ्नम् इदम् अब्रवीत् |
अवध्याः सर्व भूतानाम् प्रमदाः क्षम्यताम् इति || २-७८-२१
21. bharataH = Bharata; abraviit = idam = these words; pekSya = after seeing; tam = that; shatrughnam = Shatrughna; kruddhan = who was enraged; iti = thus; sarvabhuutaanaam = among all beings; pramadaaH = women; avadhyaaH = are not to be killed; kSamyataam = (She is) to be pardoned.
Seeing that enraged Shatrughna, Bharata said: "Among all beings women are not to be killed. Hence she is to be pardoned."
हन्याम् अहम् इमाम् पापाम् कैकेयीम् दुष्ट चारिणीम् |
यदि माम् धार्मिको रामः न असूयेन् मातृ घातकम् || २-७८-२२
22. dhaarmikaH = (If) the pious; raamaH = Rama; na asuuyedyadi = were not to express displeasure; maam = with me; maatR^ighaatukam = for killing the mother; aham = I; hanyaam = would have killed; imam kaikeyiim = this Kaikeyi; duSTachaariNiim = the evil-doing; paapaam = sinful woman.
"If the pious Rama were not to express his displeasure with me for killing the mother, I would have killed this Kaikeyi, the ill-mannered and sinful woman."
इमाम् अपि हताम् कुब्जाम् यदि जानाति राघवः |
त्वाम् च माम् चैव धर्म आत्मा न अभिभाषिष्यते ध्रुवम् || २-७८-२३
23. yadi = If; raaghavaH = Rama; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous man; jaanaati = gets to know; imaam = this; kubjaam api = hunch-backed woman; hataam = has been killed; dhruvam = it is sure; naabhibhaaSiSyate = (that he will) not speak; tvaam ca = to you; maamcaiva = or even to me.
"If the virtuous Rama hears that the hunch-backed woman has been killed, it is sure that he will cease to talk to you or even to me."
भरतस्य वचः श्रुत्वा शत्रुघ्नः लक्ष्मण अनुजः |
न्यवर्तत ततः रोषात् ताम् मुमोच च मन्थराम् || २-७८-२४
24. shrutvaa = hearing; vacaH = the words; bharatasya = of Bharata; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; lakSmaNaanujaH = the younger brother of Lakshman; tataH = then; nyavartaH = renouncing; roshaat = his guilty design; mumcaca = released; taam = that; mantharaam = Manthara.
Hearing the words of Bharata, Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana renouncing his guilty design forthwith released that Manthara.
सा पाद मूले कैकेय्या मन्थरा निपपात ह |
निह्श्वसन्ती सुदुह्ख आर्ता कृपणम् विललाप च || २-७८-२५
saa mantharaa = that Manthara; nipapaataha = fell; paadamuule = at the feet; kaikeyaaH = of Kaikeyi; suduHkhaartaa = being very much afflicted with grief; niHsvasantii = and with a sigh; vilalaapaca = weeping kR^ipaNam = piteously.
Manthara fell at the feet of Kaikeyi, breathless, weeping piteously.
शत्रुघ्न विक्षेप विमूढ सम्ज्ञाम् |
समीक्ष्य कुब्जाम् भरतस्य माता |
शनैः समाश्वासयद् आर्त रूपाम् |
क्रौन्चीम् विलग्नाम् इव वीक्षमाणाम् || २-७८-२६
26. samiikSya = seeing; kubjaam = the hunch-backed woman; shatrughna vikSapa vimunDha samjNaam = who was distraught on account of Shatrughna's vioulence; aartaruupaam = and wearing a disturbed appearance; viikSamaaNaam = looked; krounchamiva = likea a krauncha bird; vilagnaam = that has been caught in a noose; bharatasya = Bharata's; maataa = mother; shanaiH = slowly; samaashvaasayat = consoled (her).
Seeing the hunch-backed woman, who was distraught on account of shatrughna's violence, wearing a disturbed appearance and looking like a crane that has been caught in a noose, Bharata's mother slowly consoled her.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे अष्टसप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
powered by FREE Go FTP Client