Shatrughna asks Bharata why even Lakshmana could not prevent Dasaratha from sending Rama to the forest. Meanwhile, when Manthara arrives at the scen, Shatrughna seizes her with his powerful hand, threatens to punish her and abuses Kaikeyi too. When Kaikeyi pleads for mercy with her son, Bharata intervenses and Shatrughna releases Manthara.
atra yātrām samīhantam śatrughnaḥ lakṣmaṇa anujaḥ |
bharatam śoka samtaptam idam vacanam abravīt || 2-78-1
1. atha = thereafter; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; lakshmaNanujaH = the youger brother of Lakshmana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; bharatam = to Bharata; shoka samtaptam = who was tormented with giref; samiihantam = and desired; yaatram = to undertake an expedition (to Rama)
Thereafter, Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana spoke the following words to Bharata, who was tormented with grief and who desired to undertake an expedition to Rama.
gatir yaḥ sarva bhūtānām duhkhe kim punar ātmanaḥ |
sa rāmaḥ sattva sampannaḥ striyā pravrājitaḥ vanam || 2-78-2
2. kim punaH = how much more to tell; aatmanaH = about our grief; saH = when that; raamaH = Rama; sattvasampannaH = the even-minded; yaH = who; gatiH = is a refuge; sarvabhuutaanaam = for all beings; striyaa = by a woman; pravraajitaH = he was sent away; vanam = to the forest.
"When that even-minded Rama is a refuge for all beings, how much more to tell about our seeking solace to him in our grief? He has been abandoned to the forest by a woman."
balavān vīrya sampanno lakṣmaṇo nāma yo api asau |
kim na mocayate rāmam kṛtvā api pitṛ nigraham || 2-78-3
3. yaH = which; lakSmanaama = so-called Lakshmana; balavaan = the strong-man; viirya sampannaH = possessed of power; kim = why; asau api = he even; na mochayatesma = could not rescue; raama = rama (from distress) kR^itvaa = by making pitR^inigraham = our father to restrain from doing it?
"Why the so-called Lakshmana, the strong and powerful man, even could not rescue Rama from distress by making our father to restrain from doing it?"
pūrvam eva tu nigrāhyaḥ samavekṣya naya anayau |
utpatham yaḥ samārūḍho nāryā rājā vaśam gataḥ || 2-78-4
4. samavekSya = by perceving; nayaanayou = prudence and imprudence; utpatham = in that wrong course; samaaruuDhaH = adopted raajaa = by the king; yaH = who; gataH = has fallen; vasham = to the control; naaryaaH = of a woman; (Lakshmana sould have); nigraahya = restrained (Dasaratha) puurvameva = even before itself.
"By perceiving the prudence and imprudence in that wrong course adopted by the king, who has fallen into the clutches of a woman, Lakshmana should have restrained Dasaratha even at the beginning itself."
iti sambhāṣamāṇe tu śatrughne lakṣmaṇa anuje |
prāg dvāre abhūt tadā kubjā sarva ābharaṇa bhūṣitā || 2-78-5
5. (while); shatrughna; rakSmaNaanuge = the younger brother of Lakshmana; sambhaaSamaaNe = was talking; iti = thus; tadaa = then; kubjaa = Manthara the hump-backed; sarvaabharaNa bhuushitaa = adorned with all types of ornaments; abhuut = appeared; praagdvaare = at the eastern gate.
While Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana was talking thus, the hump-backed Manthara duly adorned with all types of ornaments, appeared at the eastern gate.
liptā candana sāreṇa rāja vastrāṇi bibhratī |
vividham vividhaistaistairbhūṣaṇaiśca vibhūṣitā || 2-78-6
6. liptaa = anointed; chandana saareNa = with a scent of sandal-word; bibhratii = wearing; raajavastraaNi = royal clothes; vibhuuSitaa = she was adorned; taistaiH = by several; vividhaiH = kinds; bhuuSaNaishcha = of ornaments; vividham = in various ways.
Anointed with a scent of sandal-wood and wearing royal clothes, she was bedecked with several kinds of ornaments of every description in various ways.
mekhalā dāmabhiḥ citrai rajju baddhā iva vānarī |
babhāse bahubhirbaddhā rajjubaddeva vānarī || 2-78-7
7. baddhaa = Studded with; chitraiH = bright coloured; mekhalaadaamabhiH = girdle-bands; bahubhiH = and many; anyaiH = other; shubha bhuuSaNaishcha = excellent ornaments; (she); babhaase = appeared; vaanariiva = like a female monkey; rajjubaddhaa = tied with ropes!
Studded with bright-coloured girdle-bands and many other excellent ornaments, Manthara appeared like a female-monkey tied with ropes!
tām samīkṣya tadā dvāhstho bhṛśam pāpasya kāriṇīm |
gṛhītvā akaruṇam kubjām śatrughnāya nyavedayat || 2-78-8
8. tadaa = then; samiikSya = beholding; taam kubjaam = that hump-backed Manthara; subhR^isham = the very much; paapakaariNiim = sinful; akaruNaam = and insenstive one; dvaaHsthaaH = the door-keepers; gR^ihiitvaa = caught her; nyavedayan = and delivered her; shatrughnaaya = to Shatrughna; (as follows)
Beholding that hump-backed Manthara, the very much sinful and insensitive woman, the door-keepers caught her and delivered her to Shatrughna (with the following words:)
yasyāḥ kṛte vane rāmaḥ nyasta dehaḥ ca vaḥ pitā |
sā iyam pāpā nṛśaṃsā ca tasyāḥ kuru yathā mati || 2-78-9
9. iyam = here; saa = is that; paapaa = sinful; nR^ishamsaa = and cruel woman; yasyaaH kR^ite = by whose act; raamaH = Rama; vane = is in the forest; vaH pitaaH = and your father; nyasta dehashcha = has laid donw his body; kuru = take action; yathaamati = as fit you please; tasyaaH = with her.
"Here is that sinful and cruel woman, by whose act Rama is in the forest and your father has laid down his body. Do with her, as you consider fitting."
śatrughnaḥ ca tat ājñāya vacanam bhṛśa duhkhitaḥ |
antaḥ pura carān sarvān iti uvāca dhṛta vrataḥ || 2-78-10
10. aajJNaaya = hearing; tat = those; vachanam = words; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; bhR^isha duHkhitaH = who was very much in gief; dhR^ita vrtaH = and firmly resolute; uvaacha = spoke; iti = thus; sarvaan = to all those; antaHpuracharaan = who move in that gynaecium.
Hearing those words, Shatrughna who was very much in grief and was firmly resolute, spoke to all those inmates of that gynaecium, as follows:
tīvram utpāditam duhkham bhrātṛṛṇām me tathā pituḥ |
yayā sā iyam nṛśaṃsasya karmaṇaḥ phalam aśnutām || 2-78-11
11. saa iyam = let this woman; yayaa = who; utpaaditam = has created; tiivaram = a serious; duHkham = misfortune; bhraatR^iiNaam = to my brothers; me = amd my; pituH = father; ashnutaam = receive; phalam = the fruit; nR^ishamsasya = of her cruel; karmaNaH = act.
"Let this woman, who created serious misfortune to my brothers and my father, receive the fruit of her cruel act."
evam uktā ca tena āśu sakhī jana samāvṛtā |
gṛhītā balavat kubjā sā tat gṛham anādayat || 2-78-12
12. uktvaa = speaking; evam = thsu; sakhiijana samvR^itaa = in the mist of her companions; saa kubjaa = that hunch-backed woman; gR^ihiitaa = was seized; balavat = powerfully; aashu = soon; tena = by him; (and she); tat gR^iham = made that mansion; anaadayat = resound (with her shrieks).
Speaking thus in the midst of her companions, he seized that hunch-backed woman with his powerful hand soon and she in turn made that mansion resound with her shrieks.
tataḥ subhṛśa samtaptaḥ tasyāḥ sarvaḥ sakhī janaḥ |
kruddham ājñāya śatrughnam vyapalāyata sarvaśaḥ || 2-78-13
13. tataH = then; sarvaH = all; tasyaaH = her; sakhiijanaH = companions; aajJNaaya = understood; shatrughnam = Shatrughna; kruddham = to have been angry; subhR^isha samtaptaH = and greatly agonised; have been angry; vipalaayata = (they) ran away; sarvashaH = in all directions.
Then, her companion, having conceived Shatrughna's anger and extremely agonised as they were, ran away helter-shelter in all directions.
amantrayata kṛtsnaḥ ca tasyāḥ sarva sakhī janaḥ |
yathā ayam samupakrāntaḥ nihśeṣam naḥ kariṣyati || 2-78-14
14. sarvaH = all; aasyaaH = her; sakhiijanaH = companions; amantrayata = surnised (as follows); yathaa = the way how; ayam = he; samupakraantaH = is coming up; kariSyati = he will make; naH = us; niHsheSam = finised.
All the company of women there surmised as follows : "The way how he is coming up, he will surely slay us all"
sānukrośām vadānyām ca dharmajñām ca yaśasvinīm |
kausalyām śaraṇam yāmaḥ sā hi no astu dhruvā gatiḥ || 2-78-15
15. sharaNam yaama = we shall take refuge; kausalyaam = with Kausalya; saanukroshaam = the compassionate; vadaanyaam ca = and the magnanimous; dharmajJNaam = the virtuous; yashasviniim = and the illustrious woman; astu = let; saa = her; dhruvaa = be the sure; gatiH = asylum; naH = for us.
"We shall take reguge with the compassionate, magnanimous, virtuous and illustrious Kausalya. Let her be the sure asylum for us."
sa ca roṣeṇa tāmra akṣaḥ śatrughnaḥ śatru tāpanaḥ |
vicakarṣa tadā kubjām krośantīm pṛthivī tale || 2-78-16
16. saH = shatrughnaH = the Shatrughna; shatrutaapanaH = the tormentor of enemies; taamraakSaH = red eyes; tadaa = then; vichakarSa = violently dragged; kroshantiim = the crying; kubjaam = hum-back; dharaNiitale = along the floor.
That Shatrughna, the tormentor of enemies, with his raging red eyes then violently dragged the crying hump-back along the floor.
tasyā hi ākṛṣyamāṇāyā mantharāyāḥ tataḥ tataḥ |
citram bahu vidham bhāṇḍam pṛthivyām tat vyaśīryata || 2-78-17
17. (While); tasyaaH = that; mantharaayaaH = Manthara; aakR^iSyamaaNaayaaH = was violently dragged; bahuvidham = the various kinds; tat = of those; chitram = colourful; bhaaN^Dam = ornaments; vyashiiryata = were scattered; tatastataH = here and there; pR^ithivyaam = on the floor.
While that Manthara was violently dragged, here various colourful ornaments were scattered asunder here and there on the floor.
tena bhāṇḍena samkīrṇam śrīmad rāja niveśanam |
aśobhata tadā bhūyaḥ śāradam gaganam yathā || 2-78-18
18. tadaa = then; shriimat = the splendid; raajaniveshanam = royal mansion; vistiirNam = scattered; tena = by those; bhaN^Dena = ornaments; ashobhata = appeared; bhuuyaH = very much; gaganam yathaa = as a sky; shaaradam = in antumn (studded with innumerable stars).
Thus, that splendid royal mansion scattered by those ornaments, appeared very much like an autumnal sky studded with innumerable stars.
sa balī balavat krodhāt gṛhītvā puruṣa ṛṣabhaḥ |
kaikeyīm abhinirbhartsya babhāṣe paruṣam vacaḥ || 2-78-19
19. balii = the strong; saH puruSarSabhaH = and that eminent man; gR^ihiitvaa = seizing; balavat = violently; krodhaat = with rage; abhinirbhartsya = and spoke; paruSam = harsha; vachaH = words.
Shatrughna, the strong and the eminent man, thus violently seizing her with rage, sharply rebuked Kaikeyi and spoke harsh words to her.
taiḥ vākyaiḥ paruṣaiḥ duhkhaiḥ kaikeyī bhṛśa duhhitā |
śatrughna bhaya samtrastā putram śaraṇam āgatā || 2-78-20
20. bhR^isha duHkhitaaH = agoinsed very much; taiH = by those; paruSaiH = harsha; duHkhaiH = and painful; vaakyaiH = words; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; strughna bhaya samtaptaa = afflicted by the fear for Shatrughna; aagataa = come to; sharaNam = the refuge; putam = of her son.
Agonised very much by those harsh and painful words, Kiakeyi overwhelmed as she was with the fear of Shatrughna, took refuge with Bharata.
tām prekṣya bharataḥ kruddham śatrughnam idam abravīt |
avadhyāḥ sarva bhūtānām pramadāḥ kṣamyatām iti || 2-78-21
21. bharataH = Bharata; abraviit = idam = these words; pekSya = after seeing; tam = that; shatrughnam = Shatrughna; kruddhan = who was enraged; iti = thus; sarvabhuutaanaam = among all beings; pramadaaH = women; avadhyaaH = are not to be killed; kSamyataam = (She is) to be pardoned.
Seeing that enraged Shatrughna, Bharata said: "Among all beings women are not to be killed. Hence she is to be pardoned."
hanyām aham imām pāpām kaikeyīm duṣṭa cāriṇīm |
yadi mām dhārmiko rāmaḥ na asūyen mātṛ ghātakam || 2-78-22
22. dhaarmikaH = (If) the pious; raamaH = Rama; na asuuyedyadi = were not to express displeasure; maam = with me; maatR^ighaatukam = for killing the mother; aham = I; hanyaam = would have killed; imam kaikeyiim = this Kaikeyi; duSTachaariNiim = the evil-doing; paapaam = sinful woman.
"If the pious Rama were not to express his displeasure with me for killing the mother, I would have killed this Kaikeyi, the ill-mannered and sinful woman."
imām api hatām kubjām yadi jānāti rāghavaḥ |
tvām ca mām caiva dharma ātmā na abhibhāṣiṣyate dhruvam || 2-78-23
23. yadi = If; raaghavaH = Rama; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous man; jaanaati = gets to know; imaam = this; kubjaam api = hunch-backed woman; hataam = has been killed; dhruvam = it is sure; naabhibhaaSiSyate = (that he will) not speak; tvaam ca = to you; maamcaiva = or even to me.
"If the virtuous Rama hears that the hunch-backed woman has been killed, it is sure that he will cease to talk to you or even to me."
bharatasya vacaḥ śrutvā śatrughnaḥ lakṣmaṇa anujaḥ |
nyavartata tataḥ roṣāt tām mumoca ca mantharām || 2-78-24
24. shrutvaa = hearing; vacaH = the words; bharatasya = of Bharata; shatrughnaH = Shatrughna; lakSmaNaanujaH = the younger brother of Lakshman; tataH = then; nyavartaH = renouncing; roshaat = his guilty design; mumcaca = released; taam = that; mantharaam = Manthara.
Hearing the words of Bharata, Shatrughna the younger brother of Lakshmana renouncing his guilty design forthwith released that Manthara.
sā pāda mūle kaikeyyā mantharā nipapāta ha |
nihśvasantī suduhkha ārtā kṛpaṇam vilalāpa ca || 2-78-25
saa mantharaa = that Manthara; nipapaataha = fell; paadamuule = at the feet; kaikeyaaH = of Kaikeyi; suduHkhaartaa = being very much afflicted with grief; niHsvasantii = and with a sigh; vilalaapaca = weeping kR^ipaNam = piteously.
Manthara fell at the feet of Kaikeyi, breathless, weeping piteously.
śatrughna vikṣepa vimūḍha samjñām |
samīkṣya kubjām bharatasya mātā |
śanaiḥ samāśvāsayad ārta rūpām |
krauncīm vilagnām iva vīkṣamāṇām || 2-78-26
26. samiikSya = seeing; kubjaam = the hunch-backed woman; shatrughna vikSapa vimunDha samjNaam = who was distraught on account of Shatrughna's vioulence; aartaruupaam = and wearing a disturbed appearance; viikSamaaNaam = looked; krounchamiva = likea a krauncha bird; vilagnaam = that has been caught in a noose; bharatasya = Bharata's; maataa = mother; shanaiH = slowly; samaashvaasayat = consoled (her).
Seeing the hunch-backed woman, who was distraught on account of shatrughna's violence, wearing a disturbed appearance and looking like a crane that has been caught in a noose, Bharata's mother slowly consoled her.
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye ayodhyākāṇḍe aṣṭasaptatitamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
HTML copied by Go FTP FREE Software