Bharata asserts that he does not know how the exile of Rama, Sita and Lakshmana has occurred. Bharata and Satrughna go to Kausalya's place. Kausalya speaks harsh words to Bharata, saying that Kaikeyi his mother procured for him the kingdom as desired by him the kingdom as desired by him. Bharata politely explains, on a number of oaths, his own innocence over the matter, Kausalya comes to know Bharata's heart, fondly takes him to her lap and weeps distressfully.
diirghakaalaatsamutthaaya samjJNaam labdhvaa ca viiryavaan |
netraabhyaamashrupuurNaabhyaam diinaamudviikshya maataram || 2-75-1
so.amaatyamadhyebharato jananiimabhyakutsayat |
1. saH bharataH = that bharata; viiryavaan = the valiant man; samutthaaya = rose up; diirghakaalaat = after a long time; labdhvaa = obtained; samjNaam = consiousness; udvikshhya = saw; maataram = his mother; netraabhyaam = with her eyes; diinaam ashrupuuNaabhyaam = filled with tear; abhyakutsayat = reproached; jananiim = his mother; amaatyamadhye = in the midst of the ministers.
That valiant Bharata, having come to himself a long time on obtaining consciousness, saw his mother whose eyes were filled pitiably with tears, reproached her mother in the midst of the ministers and said as follows:-
raajyam na kaamaye jaatu mantraye naapi maataram || 2-75-2
abhiShekam na jaanaami yo.bhuudrajJnaa samiikshitaH |
viprakR^iShTe hyaham deshe shatrughna sahito.avasam || 2-75-3
2;3. na jaatu kaamaye = I never desired; raajyam = for the kingdom; na mantraye = nor consulted (about this matter); maataraam api = with my mother even; najaanaami = I did not know; abhishhekam = about (my proposed) coronation; yaH = which; abhuut = has been; samiikshhitah = contemplated; raaj^Naa = by the king; aham = I; avasamhi = was indeed residing; viprakR^ishhTe = in a distant; dashe = land; shatrughnasahitaH = along with Shatrughna.
"I never desired for the kingdom nor consulted about this matter with even my mother. I was not aware of the proposed coronation, which has of the been contemplated by king Dasaratha; since I was staying indeed in a distant land, along with Satrughna."
vanavaasam na jaanaami raamasyaham mahaatmanaH |
vivaasanam vaa saumitreH siitaayaashca yathaabhavat || 2-75-4
4. aham = I; najaanaami = was not aware; vanavaasam = of the banishment to forest; raamasya = of Rama; mahaatmanaH = the high soled; (nor aware) yathaa = of how; vivaasanam = the banishment; soumitreH = of Lakshmana; siitaayaashcha = and of Seetha; abhavat = having occured.
"I was neither aware of the banishment of Rama to the forest nor about how the exile of Lakshmana and Seetha have occurred."
tathaiva kroshataH tasya bharatasya mahaatmanaH |
kausalyaa shabdam aaGYaaya sumitraam idam abraviit || 2-75-5
5. aajNaaya = recognizing; shabdam = the voice; bharatasya = of Bharata; mahaatmanaH = the noble man; kroshataH crying out; tathaiva = in that manner; kausalya = Kausalya; abraviit = spoke; idam = thesewords; sumitraam = to Sumitra.
Recognising the voice of Bharata the noble man, crying out in that manner, Kausalya spoke the following words to Sumitra:
aagataH kruura kaaryaayaaH kaikeyyaa bharataH sutaH |
tam aham draShTum icchaami bharatam diirgha darshinam || 2-75-6
6. bharataH = bharata; sutah = the son; kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi; kruurakaaryaaH = performer of terrible deeds; aagataH = arrived; aham = I; ichchhaami = want; drashhTum = to see; tam bharatam = that Bharata; diirghadarshanam = the far sighted.
"Bharata, the son of Kaikeyi, the doer terrific deeds arrived. I went to see that far-sighted Bharata."
evam uktvaa sumitraam saa vivarNaa malina ambaraa |
pratasthe bharataH yatra vepamaanaa vicetanaa || 2-75-7
7. saa = that Kausalya; vivarNaa = who became pale; malinaa = with her demeanour dirty; kR^ishaa = emaciated; evam = thus;uktvaa = speaking; sumitraam = to Sumitra; vepamaanaa = became agitated; vichetanaa = and absent minded; pratasthe = and proceeded; yatra = (to the place) where; bharataH = Bharata;(was there).
That kausalya who became pale with her demeanor, dirty and emaciated, speaking to Sumitra as aforesaid, became agitated and absent minded and proceeded to Bharata's place.
sa tu raama anujaH ca api shatrughna sahitaH tadaa |
pratasthe bharataH yatra kausalyaayaa niveshanam || 2-75-8
8. tadaa = then; saH bharataH = that Bharata; raamaanujaH tu = the younger brother of Rama on his part; shatrughna sahitaH = along with Shatrughna; pratasthe = proceeded; yatra = to where; kausalyaaH = Kausalya's; niveshanam = place was.
Bharata, the younger brother of Rama on his part, along with Shatrughna started out to Kausalya's place.
tataH shatrughna bharatau kausalyaam prekShya duhkhitau |
paryaShvajetaam duhkha aartaam patitaam naShTa cetanaam || 2-75-9
rudantau rudatiim duHkhaatsametyaaryaam manassviniim |
9. tataH = thereafter; prackshhya = seeing; kausalyaam = Kausalya; duHkhaartaam = who was afflicted with grief; nashhTachetanaam = fallen unconscious(on the way); rudatiim = crying; aaryaam = who was an honorable woman; manssviniim = having noble mind; shatrughnabharatou = Shatrughna and Bharata; rudantou = wept; duHkhitou = with grief; sametya = approached; duHhaat = painfully; paryashhvajetaam = and embraced her.
Seeing Kausalya who was afflicted with grief, who fell unconscious (on the way) who was crying and who was an honorable woman with a noble mind. Shatrughna and Bharata wept in sorrow, approached her painfully and embraced her.
bharatam pratyuvaaca idam kausalyaa bhR^isha duhkhitaa || 2-75-10
idam te raajya kaamasya raajyam praaptam akaNTakam |
sampraaptam bata kaikeyyaa shiighram kruureNa karmaNaa || 2-75-11
10; 11. kausalyaa = Kausalya; bhR^ishaduhkhitaa = who was very much in sorrow; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these words; bharatam prati = to bharata:_ te = "To you; raajya kaamasya = who have a desire for kingdom; idam = this; akNTakam = invincible; raajyam = kingdom; praaptam = has been obtained; krureNa karmaNaa = by this cruel deed; kaikeyyaH = of Kaikeyi; sampraaptam = it was obtained; shiighram = soon; bata = Alas!
Kausalya who was very much in sorrow , spoke the following words to Bharata: "you, who have a desire for kingdom, have got this invincible kingdom ."Alas! By the cruel deed of Kaikeyi, it was obtained by you soon!"
prasthaapya ciira vasanam putram me vana vaasinam |
kaikeyii kam guNam tatra pashyati kruura darshinii || 2-75-12
12. kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; kruuradarshhinii = the cruel minded; me = my; puttram = son; chiiravasanam = wear garments of bark; prasthaapya = and sent (him); vanavaasinam = to dwell in the forest; kim = what; guNam = merit; pashyati = she is perceiving; tatra = in ding so?
"The ruthless Kaikeyi condemned my son to wear garments of bark and sent him to dwell in the forest: What merit has she gained from this?"
kShipram maam api kaikeyii prasthaapayitum arhati |
hiraNya naabho yatra aaste sutaH me sumahaa yashaaH || 2-75-13
13. kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; arhati = is opt; prasthaapayitum = to send; maamapi = me too; kshhipram = without delay(to the place); yatra = where; me = my; sumahaayashaaH = illustrious; sutaH = son; hiraNya naabhaH = with a golden navel(the distinguished mark of Vishnu the god of creation).
"Kaikeyi ought to send me too without delay to the place where my illustrious son with a golden novel (the distinguished mark of Vishnu the god of creation) is there."
athavaa svayam eva aham sumitra anucaraa sukham |
agni hotram puraH kR^itya prasthaasye yatra raaghavaH || 2-75-14
14. athavaa = otherwise; aham = I; svayameva = for my own satisfaction; sumitraamcharaa = accompanied by Sumitra; puraskR^itya = placing in front (carried by Brahmana); agnihotram = the sacred fire**;sukham = will happily; prasthaasye = set out; (to the place); yatra = where; raaghavah = Rama(is there).
"Otherwise, I for my own satisfaction accompanied by Sumitra, placing in front(carried by Brahmana) the sacred fire*** will happily set out to the place Raghava has gone."
kaamam vaa svayam eva adya tatra maam netum arhasi |
yatra asau puruSha vyaaghraH tapyate me tapaH sutaH || 2-75-15
15. vaa = otherwise; svayameva = you yourself; arhasi = are apt; returm = to conduct; maam = me; adya = now; kaamam = if you so desire (to the place); yatra = where; me putraH = my son; asou = this Rama; purushhavyaaghraH = the tiger among men; tapyati = is performing; tapaH = asceticism.
"Otherwise, you yourself ought to conduct me now, if you so desire, to the place where my son, the tiger among men, is living as an ascetic."
idam hi tava vistiirNam dhana dhaanya samaacitam |
hasti ashva ratha sampuurNam raajyam niryaatitam tayaa || 2-75-16
16. idam raajyam = this kingdom; hastyashvaratha sampuurNam = filled with elephants horses and chariots; dhanadhaanya samaachitam = heaped together with grains and riches; vistiirNamhi = was indeed procured; tava = to you; tayaa = by her.
"This vast kingdom, endowed with elephants, horses and chariots and stock piled with grains and riches, has been made over to you by her."
ityaadibahubhirvaakyaiH kruuraiH sambharstito.anaghaH |
vivyathe bharatastiivram vraNe tudyeva suucinaa || 2-75-17
17. sambhartsitah = derided; ityaadi = with these and other; bahubhiH = innumerable; kruuraiH = harsh; vaakyaiH = words; anaghaH = that he had not merited; bharataH = Bharata; vivyathe tiivram = was extremely perturbed; tudyeva = as if thrust; suuchinaa = by a needle; vraNe = into an open wound.
Derided with these and other harsh words that he had not merited, Bharata was extremely perturbed, as if a needle was thrust into an open wound.
papaata caraNau tasyaastadaa sambhraantacetanaH |
vilapya bahudhaa.asamjJNo labdhasamjJNstataH sthitaH || 2-75-18
18. sambhraantachetanaH = this mind being perplexed; asamjN^aH = having lost his consciousness; (Bharata) sthitaH = stood; labdhasamjN^aH = regaining his senses; vilapya = wailed; bahudhaa = in many ways; papaata = fell; chaaraNou = at the feet; tasyaaH = of the queen.
His mind being perplexed and having lost his consciousness, Bharata then coming his senses, wailed in many ways and fell at the feet of the queen.
evam vilapamaanaam taam bharataH praanjalis tadaa |
kausalyaam pratyuvaaca idam shokaiH bahubhir aavR^itaam || 2-75-19
19. tadaa = then; bharataH = Bharata; praN^jaliH = with folded hands; pratyuvaacha = replied; idam = these words; taam kausalyaam = to that Kausalya; aavR^itaam = who was surrounded; shokaiH = by afflictions; vilapanaamaam = and weeping; evam = as aforesaid; bahubhiH = in many ways.
Then, Bharata with folded hands, replied as follows to Kausalya who was encircled by afflictions and weeping as aforesaid in many ways:
aarye kasmaat ajaanantam garhase maam akilbiSham |
vipulaam ca mama priitim sthiraam jaanaasi raaghave || 2-75-20
20. aarye = o; noblewoman! kasmaat = why; garhasi = do you reproach ; maam = me; ajaanantam = who did not knowing; anything; akilbishham = and who am sinless? Jaanaasi = you are aware; mama = of my; vipulaam = exalted; sthiraam = stable; priitam = love; raaghave = towards Rama.
"O, noble woman! Why do you reproach me, sinless as I am, for those things that I do not know anything? Nay, you know well of the greatest affection I have for Rama."
kR^itaa shaastra anugaa buddhir maa bhuut tasya kadaacana |
satya sa.ndhaH sataam shreShTho yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-21
21. buddhiH = (may) the mind; tasya = of the one; yasya = who; kadaachana = in any way whatsoever; anumate = allowed; gatah = for the departure; aaryah = of my elder brother; sataam = shroshhTo = the best of men; who keeps us his promise; maa bhuut = be never; kR^itaa = decided; shaastraamga = according to the scriptures.
"May the mind of the one who in any way whatsoever allowed for the departure of my elder brother the best of men who keeps up his promise, be closed to all the seriptures."
praiShyam paapiiyasaam yaatu suuryam ca prati mehatu |
hantu paadena gaam suptaam yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-22
22. (May he) anumate = who counseled; gataH = the banishment; aaryaH = of my noble brother; yaatu = become; preshhyam = the slave; paapiyasaam = of the vilest scoundrels; mehatu = may he) answer the calls of nature; suuryaamchaprati = in the face of the sun; hantu = and may he kick; paadena = with his foot; suptaam = a sleeping; gaam = cow.
"May he who counseled the banishment of my noble brother become the slave of the vilest scoundrels, may he answer the calls of nature in the face of the sun and may he kick with his foot, a sleeping cow."
kaarayitvaa mahat karma bhartaa bhR^ityam anarthakam |
adharmaH yo asya so asyaaH tu yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-23
23. yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = went to exile; asya = to him; saH astu = let that; asya = to him; saH astu = let that sin incur; yaH bharata = as to a master; kaarayitvaa = who imposes; mahat = the heaviest; karma = labour; bhR^ityam = on his servant; anarthakam = without remunerating him.
"With whose counsel my elder brother went to exile, to him let that sin incur, as to a master who imposes the heaviest labour on his servant without remunerating him."
paripaalayamaanasya raaGYo bhuutaani putravat |
tataH tu druhyataam paapam yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-24
24. yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gatah = has gone to exile; to him) tat = let that; paapam = sin incur; druhyataam = as to those who seek to harm; raajN^aH = a king; paripaalayamaanasya = who protects; bhuutaani = his people; putravat = his own children.
"with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, to him let that sin incur as to those who seek to harm a king who protects his people as if they are his own children."
bali ShaD bhaagam uddhR^itya nR^ipasya arakShataH prajaaH |
adharmaH yo asya so asya astu yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-25
25. adharmaH = guilt; nR^ipasyaof a kingyaH = which; uddhR^itya = who taking; balishhaDbhaagam = the sixth part of the revenue; prajaaH = of his people; arakshhataH = fails to protect(them); asya = theirs; saH = that; astu = be; asya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = went to exile.
"May the guilt of a king, who taking the sixth part of the revenue of his people fails to protect them, be fallen on them with whose counsel my elder brother went to exile."
sa.nshrutya ca tapasvibhyaH satre vai yaGYa dakShiNaam |
taam vipralapataam paapam yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-26
26. paapam = may the sin of those; samshurutya = = who having given the promise; yajNa dakshhinaam = having given the promise; satre = in a sacrifice; tapasvibhyaH = to the priests; vipralapataam = breaks; taam = that promise; be his)yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = went to exile.
"May the sin of those having given the promise for certain sacrificial fees to priests in a sacrifice, breaks that promise, to be his with whose counsel my elder brother went to exile."
hasti ashva ratha sambaadhe yuddhe shastra samaakule |
maa sma kaarShiit sataam dharmam yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-27
27. (may the sin of him) maasmakaarshhit = who fails to observe; dharmam = the code of welfare; sataam = followed by the virtuous; yuddhe = in a battle; hastvashvarathasambaadhe = abundantly provided with elephants; horses; chariots and weapons; janasamaakule = and abounding in men;( be his) yasya = with whose; ammate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = went to exile.
"May the sin of him, who fails to observe the code of warfare followed by the virtuous in a battle abundantly provided with elephants horses chariots weapons and men, be his with whose counsel my elder brother went to exile."
upadiShTam susuukShma artham shaastram yatnena dhiimataa |
sa naashayatu duShTa aatmaa yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-28
28. saH = may that; dushhTaatmaa = perverse wretch; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; naashayatu = forget; susuukshhmaartham = the subtle meanings; shaastram = of the scriptures; upadishhTam = imparted; yatnena = with care; dhiimataa = by a wise teacher.
"May that perverse wretch, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, forget the subtle meanings of the scriptures taught with care by a wise teacher."
maa ca tam pyuuDhabaahva.nsam candraarkasamtejanam |
draakshiidraajyasthamaasiinam yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-29
29. (may he) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; maacha draakshhiit = never behold; tam = that Rama; vyuuDha baahvamsam = having large arms and broad shoulders; chandraarkasamatejasam = radiant as the sun and the moon; aasiinam = seated; raajyastham = in a kingly office.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, never behold that Rama having large arms and broad shoulders radiant as the sun and the moon and seated as he will be on a throne."
paayasam kR^isaram chaagam vR^ithaa so ashnaatu nirghR^iNaH |
guruumH ca api avajaanaatu yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-30
30. saH = may that; nirghR^iNaH = pitiless one; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; (incure the sin) aashnaatu = of partaking; paayasam = milk boiled with rice and sugar; kR^isaram = a cooked mixture of rice and peas with a few spices; chhaagam = a goat; vR^ithaa = in vain; avajaanaatucha = and be lacking in reverence ; guruun = towards teachers.
"May that pitiless one with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of partaking milk boiled with rice and sugar a cooked mixture of rice and peas with a few species and a goat flesh without offering them to the gods and be lacking in reverence towards teachers."
gaashca spR^ishatu paadena guruun parivadetsvayam |
mitre druhyeta so.atyantam yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-31
31. saH(may he) ; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; spR^ishatu paadena = incur the sin of) kicking; gaaH = cows; parivadet = of abusing; guruun = the elders; svayam = personally; atyanta = ruhyeta = of very much deceiving; mitre = a friend.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sins of kicking the cows, of personally abusing the elders and of deceiving a friend too much."
vishvaasaatkathitam ki.ncitparivaadam mithaH kvachit |
vivR^iNotu sa duShTaatmaa yasyaaryoo.anumate gataH || 2-75-32
32. saH dushhTaatmaa = may that perverse wretch; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; vivR^iNotu = divulge = kimchit = the little; parivaadam = abusing words; kaThitam = narrated; kvachit = occasionally; mittaH = in secret; vishvaasaat = and in confidence.
"May that perverse wretch with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile incur the sin of divulging a little abusing words about others spoken occasionally in secret and in confidence, to him."
akartaa hyakR^itajJNashca tyaktaatmaa nirapatrapaH |
loke bhavatu vidveShyo yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-33
33. (may he) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; bhavatu = become; akartaa = a non doer; akR^itajNaH cha = an ungrateful person; tyaktaatmaa = a desperate man; nirapatrapaH = the one who has abandoned shame; vidveshhyaH = and the one who is worthy of hate.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, become a non doer, an ungrateful person; a desperate man, the one who has abandoned shame and the one who is worthy of hate."
putraiH daaraiH ca bhR^ityaiH ca sva gR^ihe parivaaritaH |
sa eko mR^iShTam ashnaatu yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-34
34. saH = may he; yasyaH = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; incur the sin) ashnaatu = of eating; nR^ishhTam = delicious food; ekaH = for himself alone; parivaaritaH = when he is surrounded; putradaaraishcha = by his sons wife; bhR^ityaishcha = and servants; svagraR^ihe = in his house.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of eating delicious food for himself alone when he is surrounded by his sons , wife and servants in his house."
apraapya sadR^ishaan daaraananapatyaH pramiiyataam |
anavaapya kriyaam dharmyaam yashyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-35
35. yasya-with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has departed; pramiiyataam = die; anapalyaH = issueless; apraapya = failing to secure; daaraan = a wife; sadR^ishaan = suitablefor him; anavaapya = and thus) not fulfilling; dharmyaam = his religious; kriyaam = duties.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has departed; die issueless, failing to secure a wife suitable for him and thus not fulfilling his religious duties."
maatmanaH samtatim draakshiitsveShu daareShu duHkhitaH |
aayuH samagramapraapya yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-36
36. (may he) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has departed; apraapya = not get; samagram = a full; aayauH = long life ; duHkhitam = distressed; aayuH = long life; maadraakshhit = in not seeing; aatmanaH = his; samtmatim = child; sveshhu = through his; daarshhu = wife.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has departed, not see a child through his wife and in distress, may not get a full long life."
raaja strii baala vR^iddhaanaam vadhe yat paapam ucyate |
bhR^itya tyaage ca yat paapam tat paapam pratipadyataam || 2-75-37
37. yat = which; paapam = sin; uchyate = was proclaimed; vadhe = in killing; raja striibaala vR^iddhaanaam = a king ; a woman; a child or an aged person; yat = which; paapam = sin( was proclaimed); bhR^ityaagacha = in abandouning the dependents; (let him with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile); pratipadyataam = obtain; tat = the same; paapam = sin.
"That sin which was proclaimed in killing a king a woman, a child or an aged person or in abandoning one's dependents let him (with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile) obtain the same sin."
laakshayaa madhumaa.nsena lohena ca viSheNa ca |
sadaiva bibhR^iyaadbhR^ityaan yasyaaryo.asumate gataH || 2-75-38
38. (May he)yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; obtain sin) bibhR^iyaat = of nurturing; sadaiva = always; bhR^ityaan = one's wife; children; and other dependents; through sale; laakshhayaa = of lacquer; madhumaamsena = liquor; and flesh; lohena = iron; vishheNa = and poison.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, obtain, tat= the sin of nurturing his wife children and other dependents through sale of lacquer, liquor, flesh, iron or poison."
samgraame samupoDhe sa shatrupakshbhayamkare |
palaayaamaano vadhyeta yasyaaryo.anume gataH || 2-75-39
39. saH = may he; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; obtain the sin); palaayamaanaH = of escaping; vadhyeta = and getting killed; samgraame = at a time where) a battle; satrupakshhabhayamkare = inspiring fear upon the enemy's side; samupoDhe = has commanded.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, obtain the sin of being killed while fleeing, at a time when a battle inspiring fear upon enemy's side has commanded."
kapaalapaaNiH pR^ithiviimaTataam ciirasamvR^itaH |
bhiksamaaNo yathonmatto yasyaaryo.anumate gatah || 2-75-40
40. saH = may he; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; aTataam = wandar about; pR^ithiviim = the world; unmattoyathaa = as a mad man; kapaalapaaNiH = with a wooden bowl in his hand; chiirasamvR^itaH = dressed in rags; bhikshhamaaNaH = and begging for alms.
May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, wander about the world, as a mad man with a wooden bowl in his hand, dressed in rags and begging for alms."
paane prasakto bhavatu striiShvaksheShu ca nityashaH |
kaamkrodhaabhibhuutastu yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-41
41. may he; yasya = with whose; counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has departed; bhavatu = be; kaamakrodhaabhibhuutaH = given over to the infatuation = and anger; nityashaH = and constantly prosaktaH = involved; pane = in intoxicvated drinks; srtiishhu = women; akshheshucha = and dice.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has departed, be given over to infatuation and anger and be constantly involved in wine women and dice."
yasya dharme mano bhuuyaadadharmam sa niShevataam |
apaatravarShii bhavatu yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-42
42. manaH = may the mind; asya = of the man; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; maabhuuyaat = never take delight; dharma = in righteousness; saH = Let him; nishhevataam = indulge; adharmam = in un righteousness; bhavatu = and become; apaatravarshhi = distributor of gifts to the undeserving.
May the mind of man with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, never take delight in righteousness? Let him indulge in un righteousness and become a distributor of gifts for the undeserving."
sa.ncitaanyasya vittaani vividhaani sahasrashaH |
dasyubhirvipralupyantaam yashyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-43
43. yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; asya = let him; vividhhaani = various; vittaani = riches; samchitaani = accumulated; sahasrashaH = in thousands; vipralupyantaam = be snatched away ; dashyubhiH = by robbers.
"With whose counsel , my elder brother has gone to exile, let his various kinds of riches got accumulated in thousands , be snatched away by robbers."
ubhe sa.ndhye shayaanasya yat paapam parikalpyate |
tac ca paapam bhavet tasya yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-44
44. yat = which; paapam = sin; parikalpyate = was proclaimed; tasya = on him; shayanaasya = who sleeps; ubhe sandhye = during both the twillights; tat = let him; paapam = sin; bhavet = be obtained; by him; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile.
"That sin which was proclaimed on him who sleeps during both the twilights, let that sin be obtained by him, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile."
yad agni daayake paapam yat paapam guru talpage |
mitra drohe ca yat paapam tat paapam pratipadyataam || 2-75-45
45. yat = which; paapam = sin; agnidaayaka = is in an arsonist; yat = which; paapam = sin; gumtalpage = is in a violator of his teacher's bed; yat = which; paapam = sin; mitradrohe = is in cheating a friend; tat = let that; paapam = sin; pratipadyataam = be obtained (to him on whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile?)
"Let him obtains that sin, which attaches to a man who practices arson, to a man who violets his teacher's bed and to a man who cheats his friend."
devataanaam pitR^iR^iNaam ca maataa pitros tathaiva ca |
maa sma kaarShiit sa shushruuShaam yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-46
46. saH = may he; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; (incure that sin); maasmakaarshhiit = of not doing; shushruushhaam = service; devataanaam = to the gods; pitR^iiNaam = to the manes; tathaivaaha = and like wise; mataapitroH = to his mother and father.
"May he, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur that sin of not doing service to be god, to the manes and likewise to his mother and father."
sataam lokaat sataam kiirtyaaH saj juShTaat karmaNaH tathaa |
bhrashyatu kShipram adya eva yasya aaryo anumate gataH || 2-75-47
47. May he)yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother ; gataH = has gone to exile; bhrashyatu = forfeit; kshhipram = soon; adyaiva = and now; karmaNaH = = from the act; sajjushhTaat = of the righteous; lokaat = from the region; sataam = obtained;by good man; tathaa = and ; kiirtyaaH = from illustriousness.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, forfeit soon and now from the region obtained by virtuous man, forfeit the illustriousness enjoyed by good men and the righteous actions."
apaasya maatR^ishushruuShaamanarthe so.avatiShThataam |
diirghabaahurmahaavakshaa yasyaaryo.asumate gataH || 2-75-48
48. (May he)yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; diirghabaahuH = that long armed; mahaavakshhaa = and broad-chested; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; apaasya = fail to give; maatR^ishushruushhokam = due reverence to his mother; avatishhThataam = and be condemned; anarthe = to idleness.
"May he with whose counsel, that long armed and broad chested elder brother has gone to exile, fail to give due reverence to his mother and be condemned to idleness."
bahuputro daridrashca jvararogasamanvitaH |
sa bhuuyaatsatatakleshii yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-49
49. saH = may he; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone exile; bahubhR^ityaH = possess many dependents; daridraH = be without resources; jvararoga samanvitaH = and be ; satatakleshii = forever in distress.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, possess many dependents be without resources, be undermined with fever and disease and be forever in distress."
aashaamaasham samaanaanaam diinaanaamuurdhvacakshuShaam |
aarthinaam vitathaam kuryaadyasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-50
50. (may he) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; incur the sin; kuryaat = of making; vitathaam = the hope; arthinaam = of the destitute; diinaanaam = the very miserable ones; uurdhva chakshhushhaam = having their eyes looking up; aashamsamaanaanaam = and seeking for alms.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of falsifying the hopes of highly miserable destitute, who having their eyes looking up seek for alms."
maayayaa ramataam nityam paruShaH pishuno.ashuchiH |
raajJno bhiita stvadharmaatmaa yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-51
51. (may he) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; incur the sin; ramataam = of staying; bhiitaH = in fear; raajN^aH = of the king; nityam = forever; maayayaa = and in conceit; parushhaH = cruel man;pishunaH = a back biter; ashuchiH pishunaH = dishonest man.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of staying in fear of the king forever as a cunning man, a cruel man, a back biter, a dishonest man and an unrighteous man."
R^itusnaataam satiim bhaaryaamR^itukaalaanurodhiniim |
ativarteta duShTaatmaa yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-52
52. dushhTaatmaa = may the evil minded man; yasya = with whose anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile;(incur the sin); ativarteta = of ignoring; satiim = his chaste; bhaaryaam = wife; R^itusnaataam = who bathed after her course of menstruation( and so prepared for sexual intercourse) R^tukaalaanurodhiniim = having regard for the season favorable for procreation.
"May the evil minded man, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of ignoring his chaste wife, who having bathed after her course of menstruation. approaches him for union having regard for the season favorable for procreation."
dharmadaaraan parityajya paradaaraanni Shevataam |
tyaktadharmaratirmuuDho yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-53
53. muuDhaH = may that stupid; yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; incur the sin) nishhevataam = of courting; paradaaraan = the consort of another; parityajya = disdaining; dharma daaraan = his lawful wife; tyaktadharmaratiH = and having left his love for piety.
"May that stupid with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin of courting the consort of another disdaining his lawful wife and having forsaken his love for piety."
vipralu ptaprajaatasya duShkR^itam braahmaNasya yat |
tadeva pratipadyeta yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-54
54. (may he)yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; raaryH my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; pratipadyataam = obtain; tadeva = even that; dushhkrutam = sin; yat = which (is obtained); braahmanaNasya = by a Brahmin; vipraluptaprajaatasya = who is issue less.
"May he, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur that sin, which is obtained by a Brahmana who is issue less."
paaniiyaduuShake paapam tathaiva viShadaayake |
yattadekaH sa labhataam yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-55
55. yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; labhate = incur; yat = which; paapam = sin; paaniiyadushhake = of a person polluting the drinking water; ekaH = himself alone; tathaiva = and likewise; vishhadaayake = of a person who administers person.
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin that is attached to a person polluting the drinking water and likewise to a person who administers poison."
braahmaNaayodyataam puujaam vihantu kaluShendriyaH |
baalavatsaam ca gaam dogdu yasyaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-56
56. (May he ) yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; (incur the sin)vihantu = of disturbing; kalushhendriaH = with wicked senses; puujaam = a worship; udyataam = undertaken; braahmaNaaya = to a Brahmana; dogdhu = and a milking; gaam = a cow; baalavatsaam = having a young calf(of ages less than ten years).
"May he with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, incur the sin attached to a person disturbing the worship going to be offered to a Brahmana (by another) and to milking a cow having a young calf. " (of age less than ten days)
tR^iShNaartam sati paaniiye vipralambhena yojayet |
labheta tasya yatpaapam yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-57
57. tasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; yatpaapam = let that sin; labhate = be obtained; yojayet vipralambena = of disappointing; tR^ishhNaartam = a person oppressed with thirst; sati paaniiye = when water was available.
"To him, with whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, let that sin be obtained of disappointing a person oppressed with thirst, even though water was available."
bhaktyaa vivadamaaneShu maargamaashritya pashyataH |
tasya paapena yujyeta yasyaaryo.anumate gataH || 2-75-58
58. yasya = with whose; anumate = counsel; aaryaH = my elder brother; gataH = has gone to exile; paapena = let the sin; yajyeta = be accorded; tasya = to him; (who) aashritya = standing; maargam = on the road; pashyataH = and merely witnessing; bhktyaa = between two divided groups (without trying to make peace between them.)
"With whose counsel my elder brother has gone to exile, let the sin be accorded to him, who while standing on the road, merely witnesses a dispute between two divided groups without trying to make peace between them."
vihiinaam pati putraabhyaam kausalyaam paarthiva aatmajaH |
evam aashvasayann eva duhkha aartaH nipapaata ha || 2-75-59
59. evam = whilein that manner; aashvaasayaaneva = even consoling; kausalyaam = Kausalya; vihiinaam = bereft of; patiputraabhyaam = her husband and sin; paarthivaatmajaH = the Prince Bharata ; nipapaata ha = fell down; duHkhaartaH = depressed with anguish.
"While thus counseling Kausalya, who was bereft of her husband and son, the prince Bharata fell down, depressed as he was with anguish."
tathaa tu shapathaiH kaShTaiH shapamaanam acetanam |
bharatam shoka samtaptam kausalyaa vaakyam abraviit || 2-75-60
60. kausalya = Kausalya; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; bharataam = to Bharata; shokasamtaptam = who was tormented with grief; achetanam = and was quite distraught; shapamaanam = who just uttered; kashhTaiH = formidable; shapathaiH = imprecations; tathaatu = in that manner.
Kausalya spoke the following words to Bharata who was tormented with grief, was quite distraught and who just uttered formidable imprecations in the aforesaid manner:
mama duhkham idam putra bhuuyaH samupajaayate |
shapathaiH shapamaano hi praaNaan uparuNatsi me || 2-75-61
61. putra = O; son! idam duHkham = this grief; samupajaayate = is added; bhuuyaH = further; mama = to me; shapamaanaH = by uttering; shapathaiH = the curses; uparuNatisihi = you are indeed afflicting; me = my; praaNaan = spirits.
"O, son! My grief is further enhanced. By uttering the curses, you are indeed racking my spirits."
diShTyaa na calitaH dharmaat aatmaa te saha lakShmaNaH |
vatsa satya pratiGYo me sataam lokaan avaapsyasi || 2-75-62
62. vatsa = O; son! dishhTyaa = fortunately; te = your; aatmaa = mind; satyapratiJ^NaH = endowed as it is with nobility; nachalitaH = has not moved ; dharmaat = from righteousness; avaapsyasi = you will obtain; lokam = the world; sataam = of the blessed; saha lakshhmaNaH = along with Lakshmana.
"O ,son! Fortunately, your mind as it is endowed with nobility, has not swerved from righteous path. You will obtain the world of the blessed, along with Lakshmana."
ityuktvaa caaN^kamaaniiya bharatam bhraatR^ivatsalam |
pariShvajya mahaabaahum ruroda bhR^ishaduHkhitaa || 2-75-63
63. uktvaa = speaking; iti = thus; bharatam = to Bharata; bhraatru vatsalam = who was devoted to his brother Rama; aaniiya = she has taken; mahaabaahum = the long armed Bharata; aNkam = to her lap; parishhvajya = embraced him; ruroda = and wept; bhR^ishaduHkhitaa = very much; afflicted with grief.
Thus speaking to Bharata who was devoted to his brother Rama, she took the valiant Bharata to her lap, embraced him and wept aloud , as she was very much afflicted with grief.
evam vilapamaanasya duhkha aartasya mahaatmanaH |
mohaac ca shoka samrodhaat babhuuva lulitam manaH || 2-75-64
64. vilapamaanaH = the great soled Bharata; duHkhaartasya = distraught on account of grief; babhuuva = felt himself; mohaachcha = about tp swoon; manaH = with his mind; lulitam = crushed; shokasamrodhaat = by the burden of grief.
Lamenting thus, the great soled Bharata distraught on account of grief, felt himself about to swoon, with his mind crushed by the burden of grief.
laalapyamaanasya vicetanasya |
pranaShTa buddheH patitasya bhuumau |
muhur muhur nihshvasataH ca diirgham |
saa tasya shokena jagaama raatriH || 2-75-65
65. laalapyamaanasya = lamenting thus; vichetanasya = being unconscious; praNashhTabuddheH = with a lost intellect; patitasya = lying fallen; bhuumou = on the ground; niHshvasataH = again and again; raatriH = that night; jagaama = passed; shokena = with grief; tasya = to Bharata.
To Bharata that night passed with grief in lamenting thus laying fallen unconscious on the ground, sighing warmly again and again with his power of discernment having been lost.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe paJNcasaptatitamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
brother and elder
Page transported by FREE Go FTP