Bharata reproached Kaikeyi in many ways. Pricking with his unpleasant remarks, Bharata tells her that he will bring back Rama from the forest, install him on the throne of Ayodhya and become his attendant.
shrutvaa tu pitaram vR^ittam bhraataru ca vivaasitau |
bharataH duhkha samtaptaidam vacanam abraviit || 2-73-1
1. shrutvaatu = hearing; pitaram = his father; vR^ittam = to be dead; bhraataram = and both his brothers; vivaasitou = having been exiled; bharataH = Bharata; duHkhasamtaptaH = was tormented; with grief; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words.
Hearing that his father was dead and both his brothers were exiled; Bharata was tormented with grief and spoke the following words:
kim nuNkaaryam hatasya iha mama raajyena shocataH |
vihiinasya atha pitraa ca bhraatraa pitR^i samena ca || 2-73-2
2. vihiinasya = bereft of; pitraacha = of my father; atha = and; bhraatraacha = my brother; pitR^isamena = who is exactly like my father; kimnukaaryam = what is the use; raajyena = with a kingdom; iha = now; mama = to me; shochataH = lamenting as I am; hatasya = with despair?
Bereft of my father as well as my brother too, who is exactly like my father, what is the use of a kingdom now to me, lamenting as I am with despair?"
duhkhe me duhkham akaror vraNe kShaaram iva aadadhaaH |
raajaanam preta bhaavastham kR^itvaa raamam ca taapasam || 2-73-3
3. kR^itvaa = making; raajaanam preta bhaavastham = the king die; raamamcha = and Rama; taapasam = to be an ascetic; akaroH = you created; duHkham = a sorrow; duHkhe = in another sorrow; me = to me;adadhaaH iva = like placing; kshhaaram = salt; vraNe = on a wound.
"Making Dasaratha to die and turning Rama to be an ascetic, you brought one calamity after another like sprinkling salt on a wound."
kulasya tvam abhaavaaya kaala raatrir iva aagataa |
angaaram upaguuhya sma pitaa me na avabuddhavaan || 2-73-4
4. tvam = you; aagataa = came; abhaavaaya = for destruction; kulasya = of our race; kaalaraatriiva = like the night of destruction at the end of the world; me pitaa = my father; na avabuddharaan = could not be aware; upaguhya = of his embracing; aN^gaaram = a live charcoal.
"You came for destruction of our race, like the night of destruction coming at the end of the world. My father could not be aware of his embracing a live char-coal to his bosom."
mR^ityumaapaadito raajaa tvayaa me paapadarshini |
sukham parihR^itam mohaatkule.asmin kulapaa.nsani || 2-73-5
5. paapadarshini = O; malevolent woman! mR^ityum = the death; me pitaa = of my father; aapaaditaH = was caused; tvayaa = by you; kulapaamsani = O; the one who made our race unchaste! Asmin kule = In this race; sukham = happiness; parihR^itam = is deserted; mohaat = by your ignorance.
"O, the malevolent woman! You caused the death of my father. O, the one who made our race unchaste! In this race, happiness is deserted through your ignorance."
tvaam praapya hi pitaa me.dya satyasandho mahaayashaaH |
tiivraduHkhaabhisamtapto vR^itto dasharatho nR^ipaH || 2-73-6
6. nR^ipaH = king; dasarathaH = Dasaratha; me = my; pitaa = father; satyasandhaH = who was true to his promise; mahaayashaaH = and immensely famous; vR^ttaH = died; adya = now; tiivraduHkhaabhisamtaptaH = tormented as he was withbitter grief; praapya = after acquiring; tvaam = you.
"My father, king Dasaratha, who was true to his promise and immensely famous, now died, tormented as he was with bitter grief, because of you."
vinaashito mahaaraajaH pitaa me dharmavatsalaH |
kasmaatpravraajito raamaH kasmaadeva vanam gataH || 2-73-7
7. kasmaat = why; me pitaa = my father; mahaaraajaH = the monarch; dharmavatsalaH = fond of righteousness; vinaashitaH = was killed? Kasmaat = why; raamaH = Rama; gataH = went; pravraajitaH = on exile; vanam = to the forest?
"Why did you kill my father the monarch, who was intent on righteousness? Why did you send Rama on exile to the forest?"
kausalyaa ca sumitraa ca putra shoka abhipiiDite |
duShkaram yadi jiivetaam praapya tvaam jananiim mama || 2-73-8
8. dushhkaram = it is impossible; kausalyaacha = Kausalya; sumitraacha = and Sumitra; putrashokaabhipiiDite = who are afflicted with grief for their sons; jivetaam yadi = will live; praapya = getting at; tvaam = you; jananiim = my mother.
"It is impossible that Kausalya and Sumitra, who are afflicted with grief for their sons, will live in fellowship with you, my mother."
nanu tu aaryo api dharma aatmaa tvayi vR^ittim anuttamaam |
vartate guru vR^ittiGYo yathaa maatari vartate || 2-73-9
9. aaryo api = even my elder brother; dharmaatmaa = the pious man; guruvR^ittij^NaH = who knows how to behave with elders; vartate nanu = was indeed acting; anuttamaam = with the best; vR^ittim = behavior; tvayi = in your case; yathaa = as how; vartate = he was behaving; maatari = with his mother.
"Even Rama my elder brother, a pious man who knows how to behave with elders, used to act with the best behavior in your case, exactly as how he was behaving with his own mother."
tathaa jyeShThaa hi me maataa kausalyaa diirgha darshinii |
tvayi dharmam samaasthaaya bhaginyaam iva vartate || 2-73-10
10. tathaa = in the same manner; me = my; jyeshhThaa = elder; maataa = mother; kausalyaa = Kausalya; diirghadarshinii = having far sightedness; samaasthaaya = being established; dharmam = in piety; vartate hi = was indeed behaving; tvayi = with you; bhaginyaamiva = as your sister.
"In the same manner, Kausalya, my elder mother having far sightedness and established in piety, indeed used to behave with you as your sister."
tasyaaH putram kR^ita aatmaanam ciira valkala vaasasam |
prasthaapya vana vaasaaya katham paape na shocasi || 2-73-11
11. katham = why; na shochasi = are you not lamenting; prasthaapya = after sending; kR^itaatmaanam = the disciplined; tasyaaH = Kausalya's; putram = son; chiiravalkala vaasanam = clothed in a bark dress; vanavaasaaya = to live in a forest? Paape = O; sinful one!
"Why are you not lamenting, after sending Rama, the disciplined Kausalya 's son, clothed in a bark dress, to live in a forest? O, sinful one!"
apaapa darshinam shuuram kR^ita aatmaanam yashasvinam |
pravraajya ciira vasanam kim nu pashyasi kaaraNam || 2-73-12
12. pravraajya = having sent into exile; apaapadarshanam = having a virtuous disposition; shuuram = a valiant man; kR^itaatmaanam = a self-controlled; yashasvinam = and illustrious man; chiiravasanam = clothed in bark dress; kimnu = what; kaaraNam = reason; pashyasi = do you perceive?
"You indeed sent into exile, clad in a bark dress, Rama having a virtuous disposition, a valiant man, a self controlled and illustrious man as he was. What reason do you gather for it?"
lubdhaayaa viditaH manye na te aham raaghavam prati |
tathaa hi anartho raajya artham tvayaa niitaH mahaan ayam || 2-73-13
13. manye = I think; na viditaH = it is not known; te = to you; lubdhaayaaH = the greedy woman; (what) aham = I; (believe) raaghavam prati = about Rama. Tathaahi = It is exactly so; ayam = this; mahaam = great; anarthaH = calamity; aamiitaH = has been brought in; tvaayaa = by you; raajyaartham = for the sake of kingdom.
"I think it is not known to you, a greedy woman, about my devotion towards Rama. It is exactly so. You have brought in this great calamity for the sake of a kingdom."
aham hi puruSha vyaaghraav apashyan raama lakShmaNau |
kena shakti prabhaavena raajyam rakShitum utsahe || 2-73-14
14. kena = by which; shaktiprabhaavena = source of strength; aham utsahe = can be able; rakshhitum = to protect; raajyam = the kingdom; apashyam = without seeing; raama lakshhmaNou = Rama and Lakshmana; purushhavyaaghraou = the lions among men?
"By which source of strength can I be able to protect the kingdom, without those lions among men, Rama and Lakshmana in proximity to me?"
tam hi nityam mahaa raajo balavantam mahaa balaH |
uapaashritaH abhuud dharma aatmaa merur meru vanam yathaa || 2-73-15
15. mahaaraajaH = Dasaratha the monarch; mahaabalaH = having great strength; dharmaatmaa = and a pious mind; nityam = always; abhuutihi = indeed used to; upaashritaH = take refuge;tam = that Rama;balavantam = the strong man; meruvanam yathaa = as a forest surrounding the mountain of Meru( taken refuge); meruH = by Meru mountain."
"Dasaratha the monarch, having great strength and a pious mind always indeed used to take refuge in that strong man Rama as the Meru mountain takes refuge in a forest surrounding the mountain."
so aham katham imam bhaaram mahaa dhurya samudyatam |
damyo dhuram iva aasaadya saheyam kena ca ojasaa || 2-73-16
16. kena = by what; ojasaa = stamina; saH aham = I as such; vaheyam = can carry; aasaadya = after obtaining; imam bhaaram = this burden;( of kingship); damyaH iva = like a young bullock that is yet to be tamed; (to carry); dhuram = the burden; mahaadhurya samuddhR^itam = being lifted up by a giant bullock.
"By what stamina, shall I sustain this burden of kingship any more than a young bullock that is yet to be tamed, would stand the strain on getting a load, lifted up with ease by a giant bullock."
atha vaa me bhavet shaktir yogaiH buddhi balena vaa |
sakaamaam na kariShyaami tvaam aham putra gardhiniim || 2-73-17
17. athavaa = or rather; shaktiH = a strength; bhavet = may come into existence; me = to me; yogaiH = by following proper methods; buddh ibalenavaa = or by strength of intelligence; aham = I; na karishhyaami = will not make; tvaam = you; putragardhiniim = who are greedy (for getting the kingdom) for your son; sakaamaam = fulfill your desire.
"Or even if a strength can be brought into existence in me by following certain suitable methods or by strength of intelligence, I will not allow you, who are greedy in fetching of kingdom for your son, to fulfill your desire."
na me vikaaN^khaa jaayeta tyaktum tvaam paapanishcayaam |
yadi raamasya naavekshaa tvayi syaanmaatR^ivatsadaa || 2-73-18
18. na vikaaN^kshhaa = no aversion ; na jaayeta = would have occurred; me = to me; (even)tvaktum = to desert; tvaam = you; paapanishchayaam = a woman of evil designs; yadi raamasya = if Rama; nasyaat avekshhaa = did not see; tvayi = you; maatR^ivat = like a mother; sadaa = at all times.
"No aversion would be felt by me even to desert you, a woman of evil designs, if Rama did not treat you like a mother at all times."
utpannaa tu katham buddhistaveyam paapadarshini |
saadhucaaritravibhraaShTe puurveShaam no vigarhitaa || 2-73-19
19. paapa darshini = O; malevolent woman! saadhucharitra vibhrashhTe = with your good conduct disappeared! katham = How; iyam buddhiH = this intension; vigarhitaa = forbidden by; naH = our; puurveshhaam = ancestors; utpannaa = has arisen; tava = to you?
"O, malevolent woman with your good conduct disappeared! How this idea forbidden by our ancestors, has arisen in your mind at all?"
asmin kule hi sarveShaam jyeShTho raajye.abhiShichyate |
apare bhraatarastasmin pravartante samaahitaaH || 2-73-20
20. jyeshThaH = the eldest; sarveshhaam = of all; asmin kule; in this race; abhishhichyate hi = should be indeed; inaugurated; raajye = in the kingdom; apare = the rest of; bhraataraH = the brothers; pravartante = behave; samaahitaaH = reverently; tasmin = towards the elder brother.
"The eldest of all in this race should be indeed anointed as a king. The rest of his brothers are to behave reverently towards their elder brother."
na hi manye nR^ishase tvam raajadharmamavekshase |
gatim vaa na vijaanaasi raajavR^ittasya shaashvatiim || 2-73-21
21. nR^ishamse = O; cruel woman! manye = I think that; tvam = you; na apekshhse = are not seeing; raajadharmam = the rules relating to kings; vaa = or; na vijaanaasi = you are not aware; shaashvatiim = of permanent;gatim = procedure; raaja VR^ittasya = of administration in kings.
"O, cruel woman! I feel that you are not catching even a glimpse of the rules relating to kings or not even aware of a permanent procedure prevailing in the administration of kings."
satatam raajavR^itte hi jyeShTho raajye.abhiShichyate |
raajJNaametatsamam tatsyaadikshvaakuuNaam visheShataH || 2-73-22
22. raajavR^itte = according to the administration of kings; jyeshhThaH = the eldest son; satatam = always; hi = indeed; abhishhichyate = gets inaugurated; raajye = in kingdom; etat = this procedure; samam = is similar; raaj^Naam = to all kings; tat = that; syaat = occurs; visheshhataH = especially; ikshhvaakuuNaam = in Ikshvaku kings.
"According to the administration of kings the eldest son always indeed gets inaugurated in kingdom. This procedure is similar to all kings; especially so in the case of Ikshvaku kings."
teShaam dharmaikarakshaaNaam kulacaaritrayoginaam |
atra caaritrashauNDiiryam tvaam praapya vinivartatam || 2-73-23
23. chaaritra shouN^Diiryam = the pride of reputation; teshhaam = of those belonging to Ikshvaku race; dharmaika rakshhaaNaam = who protect righteousness alone; kulachaaritra yoginaam = and possessed of good racial conduct; vinivartitam = is turned away; praapya = by obtaining; tvaam = you; atra = in this case.
"The pride of reputation of those belonging to Ikshvaku race, who protect righteousness alone and who possessed good family conduct, is turned away by you today."
tavaapi sumahaabhaagaa janendraaH kulapuurvagaaH |
buddhermohaH kathamayam sambhuutastvayi garhitaH || 2-73-24
24. janendraaH api = even the kings; tavakulapuurvagaaH = belonging to your ancestral race; sumahaa bhaagaaH = were very great people; katham = how; ayam = this; garhitaH = contemptible; mohaH = stupidity; buddheH = of minds; sambhuutaH = is born; tvayi = in you?
"Even kings belonging to your ancestral race were great people. How has this contemptible stupidity of mind born in you?"
na tu kaamam kariShyaami tavaa.ahm paapanishcaye |
tvayaa vyasanamaarabdham jiivitaantakaram mama || 2-73-25
25. paapanishchaye = O; woman with evil designs! aham tu = I; for one; nakarishhyaani = will not fulfill; tava = your; kaamam = desire; vyasanam = a criminal act; mama jiivitaantakaram = which will cause an end to my life; aarabdham = has been undertaken; tvayaa = by you.
"O, woman with evil designs! I for one will not fulfill your desire. A criminal act, which will cause even an end to my life, has been undertaken by you."
eSha tvidaaniimevaahamapriyaartham tavanagham |
nivartayiShyaami vanaat bhraataram svajana priyam || 2-73-26
26. eshhaaH aham tu = this I ; for one; idaamiim eva = now itself; tava apriyaartham = at the cause of your dislike; nivartayishhyaami = will bring back; bhraataram = my brother; anagham = faultless man; svajanapriyam = a beloved man of his people; vanaat = from the forest.
"Now itself at the cause of your dislike, I for one will bring back from the forest, my brother, who is a faultless man and a beloved man of his people."
nivartayitvaa raamam ca tasyaaham diiptatejanaH |
daasabhuuto bhaviShyaami susthireNaantaraatmanaa || 2-73-27
27. nivartayitvaa = bringing back; raamam = Rama; susthireNa = with a very firm; antaraatmanaa = mind; bhavishhyaami = I will become; daasabhuutaH = a servant; tasya = to him; diipta tejasaH = who is radiant with glory.
"Bringing back Rama with a very firm mind, I will become a servant to him, who is radiant with glory."
iti evam uktvaa bharataH mahaatmaa |
priya itaraiH vaakya gaNaiaH tuda.ns taam |
shoka aaturaH ca api nanaada bhuuyaH |
simho yathaa parvata gahvarasthaH || 2-73-28
28. uktvaa = speaking; ityevam = as aforesaid; mahaatmaa = the high soled; bharataH = Bharata; tudan = pricking; taam = her; vaakya gaNaiH = with a multitude of words; priyetaraiH = which are unpleasant ; nanaada = roared; bhuuyashchaapi = again; simhoyathaa = like a lion; parvatagahvarasthaH = stationed in a mountain cave.
Speaking as aforesaid, the high soled Bharata, pricking her with a multitude of unpleasant words, roared again like a lion stationed in a mountain cave.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe trisaptatitamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
further information concerning
This page powered by FREE Go FTP Software