Manthara feels very sad after hearing about anointment of Rama for the princely kingdom. She tells Kaikeyi about the coronation of Rama. Kaikeyi becomes delighted and gives Manthara one of her jewels.
GYAtidAsI yato jAtA kaikeyyA tu sahoShitA |
prAsAda.n chandrasa~NkAshamAruroha yadR^ichchhayA || 2-7-1
1. GYaatidaasi = housemaid of relatives (Manthara); yataH jaataa = since her birth; ushhitaa = residing; kaikeyyaa saha = with Kaikeyi; yadR^ichchhayaa = by chance; aaruroha = ascended; praasaadam = the balcony of palace; chandrasa~Nkaasham = which resembled the full moon.
Manthara, a housemaid who was residing with Kaikeyi since her birth, accidentally ascended the balcony of Kaikeyi's white palace, which resembled the full moon.
siktarAjapathA.n kR^itsnAM prakIrNakusumotkarAm |
ayodhyAM mantharA tasmAtprAsAdAdanvavaikShata || 2-7-2
2. mantharaa = Manthara; praasaadaat = from that balcony; anvavaikshata = saw; tasmaat = that; kR^itsnaam = entire; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; siktaraajapathaam = the principal roads being sprinkled with water; prakiirNakusumotkaraam = and stewn with heaps of flowers.
Manthara, from that balcony, saw the entire city of Ayodhya, with all its principal roads being sprinkled with water and strewn with heaps of flowers.
patAkAbhirvarArhAbhirdhvajaishcha samala~NkR^itAm |
vR^itAM chaMdapathaishchaapi shiraHsnAtajanairvR^itAm || 2-7-3
maalyamodakahastaishcha dvijendrairabhinaaditaam |
shukladevagR^ihadvaaraaM sarvavaaditranisvanaam|| 2-7-4
saMprahR^ishhTajanaakiirNaaM brahmaghoshhaabhinaaditaam |
prahR^ishhTavarahastyashvaaM saMpraNardhitagovR^ishaam ||2-7-5
prahR^iushhTamuditaiH paurairuchchri tadvajamaaliniim |
ayodhyaaM vantharaa tasmaatpraasaadaadanvavaikshata|| 2-7-6
3;4;5;6Mantharaa = Manthara; anvavaikshataa = saw; tasmaat praasaadaat = from that balcony; ayodhyaam = the city of Ayodhya; varaarHaabhiH = which was an excellent one; samalaN^kR^itaam = decorated by; pataakaabhiH = flags; dhvajaishcha = and by buntings; vR^itaam = consisting of; chaMda pathaiH cha api = well laid out pathways; vR^itaam = consisting of; shiraH snaata janaiH = people who had head bath; abhinaaditaam = and resounding with; dvijendraiH = brahmins; maalya modaka hastaiH = with flowers and sweets in their hands; shukla deva gR^iha dvaaraam = (consisting of) temples with white doorways; sarva vaaditra nisvanaam = resonating with sounds from various musical instruments; saMprahR^ishhTa janaakiirNaam = filled with happy people; brahmaghoshha abhinaaditaam = resonating with Vedic chants; prahR^ishhTa vara hastyashvaam = with overjoyed elephants and horses; saMpraNardita govR^ishhaam = with roaring bulls and cows; prahR^ishhTamuditaiH = with greatly overjoyed; pauraiH = citizens; uchchhrita dhvaja maaliniim = and decked with rows of tall flags .
Manthara further saw from that balcony the city decorated with the best of flags and banners. The roads were cleared for uninterrupted traffic. All the people took head-bath. Brahmans with flowers and sweets in their hands were chanting Mantras. The gateways of temples were white washed. There were sounds of all musical instruments. The city was filled with rejoicing people and resounding chant of Vedas. The elephants and horses were also merry. The bulls were making roaring noise. The highly delighted citizens hoisted rows of flags on their housetops.
praharshhotphullanayanaaM paaNDurakshaumavaasiniim |
aviduure sthitaaM dR^ishhTvaa dhaatriiM paprachchha mantharaa || 2-7-7
7. mantharaa = Manthara; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; dhaatriim = a house maid; praharshhotphullanayanaam = with bright delighted eyes; paaNDurakshaumavaasiniim = wearing white silk clothes; sthitaam = staying; aviduure = nearby; paprachchha = and asked(as follows):
Manthara asked a house maid with bright pleasing eyes and wearing white silk clothes standing nearby, as follows: -
uttamenaabhisaMyuktaa harshheNaarthaparaa satii |
raamamaataa dhanaM kiM nu janebhyaH saMprayachchhati | 2-7-8
8. kim nu saMprayachchhati = why Kausalya is giving away; dhanam = money; janebhyaH = to people; uttamena = most; harsheNa abhisamyukta = delightfully; arthaparaasatii = (though) she is badly lured of money.
"Why is Kausalya giving away money to people so delightfully today in charity, eventhough she is badly lured of money?"
atimaatrapraharshho.ayaM kiM janasya cha shaMsa me |
kaarayishhyati kiM vaapi saMprahR^ishhTo mahiipatiH || 2-7-9
9. kim = why; ayam = this; atimaatra praharshaH = great rejoicing; janasya = of people ?; mahiipatiH = (Is) king Dasaratha; samprahR^ishhTa = duly pleased; kimvaapi kaarayishyati vaa = getting done any act? shamsa = tell; me = me.
"Why are people so happy today? Is the king duly pleased with something, doing any great act? Tell me."
vidiiryamaaNaa harshheNa dhaatrii tu parayaa mudaa |
aachachakshe.atha kubjaayai bhuuyasiiM raaghavashriyam || 2-7-10
10. dhaatrii tu = that house maid; vidiiryamaaNaa = bursting; harsheNa = with joy; atha = thereafter; aachachakshe = told; kubjaayai = the hunch backed Manthara; paramayaa mudaa = with great gladness; bhuuyasiim raghavashriyam = about the great honor to be conferred on Rama.
That housemaid, bursting with joy, told Manthara in a great gladdening tone about the great honor to be conferred upon Rama.
shvaH pushhyeNa jitakrodhaM yauvaraajyena raaghavam |
raajaa dasharatho raamamabhishhechayitaanagham || 2-7-11
11. svaH = tommorow; pushyeNa = on the day of Pushyami star; raajaa dasarathaH = king Dasaratha; abhishechayitaa = is going to anoint; anagham = faultless; raamam = Rama; raaghavam = who was born in Raghu clan; yauvaraajyena = for the princely kingdom.
"Tomorrow on the day of Pushyami star, king Dasaratha is going to anoint the fault-less Rama for the princely kingdom."
dhaatryaastu vachanaM shrutvaa kubjaa kshipramamarshhitaa |
kailaasashikharaakaaraatpraasaadaadavarohata || 2-7-12
12. shrutvaa = after hearing; vachanam = words; dhaatryaa = of the maid; kubjaa = the hunch backed Manthara; kshipram = quickly; amarshhitaa = with anger; avarohata = stepped down; praasaadaat = from roof of the palace.
After hearing the words of that maid, Manthara quickly with wrath walked down from the roof of the palace, which was in the shape of mount Kailasa.
saa dahyamaanaa kopena manatharaa paapadarshinii |
shayanaametya kaikeyiimidaM vachana mabraviit || 2-7-13
13. saa = that; mantharaa = Manthara; paapa darshinii = who has sinful thought; dahyamaanaa = burning; kopena = with anger; etya = approached; kaikeyiim = Kaikeyi; shayaanaam = who was lying on bed; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words.
Manthara of sinful thought; burning with anger, approached Kaikeyi who was lying on a bed and spoke these words:
uttishhTha muuDhe kiM sheshhe bhayaM tvaamabhivartate |
upaplutamaghaughena kimaatmaanaM na budhyase || 2-7-14
14. muuDhe = O; fool! uttishTha = get up; kim = why; sheshhe = sleeping? bhayam = dreadful situation; abhivartate = is befalling; tvaa = you; upaplutam = are submerged by; aghaughena = flood of troubles; kim = why (are you); na budhyase = not knowing; aatmaanam = yourself?
"O, fool! Get up. Why are you sleeping? A dreadful situation is befalling you. A flood of troubles submerges you. Why are you not knowing this yourself?"
anishhTe subhagaakaare saubhagyena vikatthase |
chalaM hi tava saubhaagyaM nadyaaH srota ivoshhNage ||2-7-15
15. subhakaagaare = you; who appear to be beloved to your husband! anishhTe = (but) who is not liked by your husband! vikatthase = (you) boast; saubhaagyena = of fortune; tava = your; saubhaagyam = fortune; chalam hi = is unsteady; srotaH iva = like a stream; nadeyaaH = of river; ushhNage = in summer.
"Oh, Kaikeyi ! You appear to be a beloved wife for your husband, but in reality he does not like you. You boast of your fortune. Like the flow of a stream in summer; your fortune is unsteady".
evamuktaa tu kaikeyii rushhTayaa parushhaM vachaH |
kubjayaa paapadarshinyaa vishhaadamagamatparam || 2-7-16
16. kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; agamat = got; param = too much; vishhaadam = sadness; uktaa = after being spoken; parushham = of hard; vachaH = words; evam = thus; rushhTayaa = with anger; kubjayaa = by Manthara; paapadarshinayaa = of sinful thoughts
Kaikeyi was very much worried after hearing hard words spoken with anger by Manthara of sinful thoughts.
kaikeyi tvabraviitkubhaaM kachchitkshemaM na manathare |
vishhaNNavadanaaM hi tvaaM lakshaye bhR^i shaduHkhitaam || 2-7-17
17. kaikeyii tu = Kaikeyi; abraviit = spoke; kubjaam = to the hunch backed; manthare = O; Manthara ! kshhemam na kachchit = (you are feeling) not safe or what ? lakshaye hi = I am seeing; tvaam = you; bhR^ishaduHkhitaam = being very sorrowful; vishhaNNavadanaam = with a worried face.
Kaikeyi asked the hunch-backed Manthara as follows; "O, Manthara! Are you not safe? You appear to be very sorrowful with your worried face".
mantharaa tu vachaH shrutvaa kaikeyyaa madhuraaksharam |
uvaacha krodhasaMyuktaa vaakyaM vaakyavishaaradaa || 2-7-18
18. srutvaa = after hearing; kaikeyyaaH vachaH = Kaikeyi's words; madhuraaksharam = with sweet words; mantharaa tu = Manthara; vaakyavishaaradaa = who was an expert in talking; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = these words; krodhasamyuktaaH = with anger.
After hearing Kaikeyi's sweet words, Manthara who was an expert in talking, spoke with anger.
saa vishhaNNataraa bhuutvaa kubjaa tasyaa hitaishhiNii |
vishhadayantii provaacha bhedayantii cha raaghavam || 2-7-19
19. saa = that; kubjaa = Manthara; tasyaaH hitaishhiNii = wishing Kaikeyi's welfare; vishhaadayantii = making her sorrowful; bheda yantii cha = and to create hostility; raaghavam = with Rama; provaacha = said (as follows).
That Manthara, who was full of cunning, feigning to be seeking Kaikeyi's welfare, appeared more worried, and making Kaikeyi sorrowful, spoke the following, to create hostility between Rama and Kaikeyi.
akshayyaM sumahaddevi pravR^ittaM dvadvinaashanam |
raamaM dasharatho raajaa yauvaraajye.abhishhekshyati || 2-7-20
20. devi = Oh; Queen! akshhayyam = an unending; sumahat = great; tvadvinaashanam = ruin to you; pravR^ittam = has encircled; raajaa = king; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; abhishhekshyati = is anointing; raamam = Rama; yauvaraajye = for princely kingdom.
"Oh, queen! An unending great ruin has encircled you. King Dasaratha is going to anoint Rama for the princely kingdom".
saasmyagaadhe bhaye magnaa duHkhashokasamanvitaa |
dahyamaanaa.a naleneva tvaddhitaarthamihaagataa || 2-7-21
21. saa asmi = that myself; magnaa = is immersed; agaadhe = in bottomless pit; bhaye = of fear; duHkha shoka samanvitaa = with pain and sorrow; dahyamaanena = (I am) burning; analena = as if by fire; aagataa = came; iha = here; tvaddhitaartham = for your sake.
"I am immersed in a bottomless pit of fear. I am in distress and my mind is burning as if by fire. I hastened here to seek you out."
tava duHkhena kaikeyi mama duHkhaM mahadbhavet |
tvadvR^iddhau mama vR^iddhishcha bhavedatra na saMshayaH || 2-7-22
22. kaikeyi = O; Kaikeyi; tava duHkena = by your grief; mahat = great; duHkham = grief; bhavena = happens; mama = to me; tvadvR^iddhau = your prosperity; bhavet = becomes; vR^iddhishcha = prosperity; mama = to me; na = no ; saMshayaH = doubt; atra = about this.
"Kaikeyi! If Rama becomes king, his son will become king after him. Thus, Bharata's name itself will be removed from the royal clan."
narAdhipakule jAtA mahiShI tvaM mahIpateH |
ugratva.n rAjadharmANA.n kathaM devi na budhyase || 2-7-23
23. devi = Oh; queen! jaataa = having born; naraadhipakule = in royal family; mahishhii = being wife; mahiipate = of a king; katham = why; na buddhyase = not knowing; ugratvam = cruelty; raajadharmaaNaam = in kingly duties.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Having born in a royal family and being an emperor's wife, how is it that you are not knowing about the cruelty in kingly duties?"
dharmavAdI shaTho bhartA shlakShNavAdI cha dAruNaH |
shuddhabhAve na jAnIShe tenaivamatisandhitA || 2-7-24
24. bhartaa = your husband; dharma vaadii = talks of righteousness; shaThaH = but does harm secretly; shlakshhNa vaadii = talks sweetly; daaruNaH cha = but is a cruel man; shuddhabhaave = O; the clean minded! najaaniishhe = you are not able to know; atisandhitaa = that you are cheated; tena = by him; evam = thus.
"Your husband talks about righteousness, but does harm secretly. He says sweet words but behaves cruelly. Because of your clean thinking; you are not able to know that he is cheating you thus."
upasthitaM payu~njAnastvayi sAntvamanarthakam |
arthenaivAdya te bhartA kausalyA.n yojayiShyati || 2-7-25
25. te bhartaa = your husband; upasthitaH = approaches you; prayuJNjaanaH = employs; anarthakam = useless; saantvam = good words; tvayi = in your instance; adya = today; yojayishhyati = he bestows; arthena = benefit to; kausalyameva = only Kausalya.
"Your husband approaches you and talks good words, which are useless. But he passes on benefit today to Kausalya only."
apavAhya sa duShTAtmA bharata.n tava bandhuShu |
kAlya.n sthApayitA rAmaM rAjye nihatakaNTake || 2-7-26
26. dushhTaatmaa = the evil minded; saH = he; apavaahya = sent; bharatam = Bharata; tava bandhushhu = to his relatives; kalye = at dawn; sthaapayitaa = is going to install; ramam = Rama; raajye = in kingdom; nihatakaNTake = without hindrance.
"The evil minded Dasaratha sent Bharata to the house of his relatives and at dawn, is going to install Rama on the throne without hindrance."
shatruH patipravAdena mAtreva hitakAmyayA |
AshIviSha ivA~Nkena bAle paridhR^itastvayA || 2-7-27
27. baale = O; childish one! maatreva = like mother; hitakaamyayaa = being wished well being; tvayaa = by you; aashiivishhaH ankeneva = like a poisonous serpent in your bosom; shatruH = enemy; paridhR^itaH = being worn; patipravaadena = with husband's name.
"O, childish one! Like a mother, you wish for his well being. But he is an enemy, and is called husband for a namesake. He is like a poisonous serpent in your bosom."
yathA hi kuryAtsarpo vA shatrurvA pratyupekShitaH |
rAGYA dasharathenAdya saputrA tva.n tathA kR^itA || 2-7-28
28. tvam = you; saputraa = along with your son; kR^itaa = have been done; raaJNaa dasarathena = by king Dasaratha; adya = today;yathaa tathaa kurvaat = as does; pratyupekshitaH = neglected; sarpo vaa = serpent or; shatruruvaa = an enemy
"King Dasaratha has acted towards you and your son today in the same way as an enemy or a serpent would behave if ignored."
pApenAnR^itasaantvena bAle nitya.n sukhochite |
rAma.n sthApayatA rAjye sAnubandhA hatA hyasi || 2-7-29
29. baale = O; childish one! nityasukhochite = you; who are ever deserving of ease; anR^ita saantvena = with his untruthful sweet words; sthaapayitaa = by installing; raamam = Rama; raajye = in kingdom; saanubandhaa = you along with your child; asihi hataa = are being hit; paapena = by the sinful king.
"O, stupid one! With his untruthful sweet words to you, who are ever deserving of ease, the evil minded king is installing Rama on the throne and is thus ruining you along with your son."
sA prAptakAla.n kaikeyi kShipraM kuru hitaM tava |
trAyasva putramAtmAnaM mA.n cha vismayadarshane || 2-7-30
30. kaikeyi = O; Kaikeyi! vismaya darshane = you; with amazing beauty! saa = that you; kuru = do; hitam = required action; praaptakaalam = appropriate to the time; kshipram = immediately; traayasva = save; aatmaanam = yourself; putram = your son; maam cha = and me.
"O, Kaikeyi, of amazing beauty! You have to take timely action immediately, so as to save yourself, your son and me too."
mantharAyA vachaH shrutvA shayanAtsa shubhAnanA |
uttasthau harshhasaMpuurNaa chandralekheva shaaradii || 2-7-31
31. shayanaa = lying in bed; saa = that; shubhaananaa = beautiful faced Kaikeyi; shrutvaa = hearing; mantharaayaaH = Manthara's; vachaH = words; harshhasampuurNaa = full of delight; uttasthau = rose(from the coach); chandralekheva = as crescent moon; shaaradii = in autumn.
Hearing Manthara's words, that Kaikeyi of charming countenance who was lying in bed, rose from her coach full of delight like unto the crescent moon in autumn.
atiiva saa tu saMhR^ishhTaaa kaikeyii vismayaanvitaa |
ekamaabharaNaM tasyai kubjaayai pradadau shubham || 2-7-32
32. saa kaikeyii = that Kaikeyi; atiiva = much; santushhTaa = delighted; vismayaanvitaa = with surprise; dadau = gave; ekam = one; shubham = graceful; aabharaNam = jewel; tasyai = to that; kubjaayai = hunch backed Manthara.
That Kaikeyi in the midst of her astonishment and joy gave a graceful jewel to the hunch-backed Manthara.
dattvA tvAbharaNa.n tasyai kubjAyai pramadottamA |
kaikeyI mantharA.n hR^iShTA punarevAbravIdidam || 2-7-33
33. kaikeyi = Kaikeyi; pramadottamaa = the best among women; datvaa = gave; aabharaNam = a jewel; tasyai kubjaayai = to that hunch backed one; dR^istvaa = saw; mantharaam = Manthara; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; punaH eva = again.
Kaikeyi, the best among women, gave a jewel to Manthara and spoke to her as follows:
ida.n tu manthare mahyamAkhyAsi paramaM priyam |
etanme priyamAkhyAtuH ki.n vA bhUyaH karomi te || 2-7-34
34. manthare = O; Manthara! aakhyaasi = you informed; idam = this; paramam = much; priyam = delightful news; mahyam = to me; kim vaa = what; bhuuyaH = additional (favour); karomi = can I do; te = for you; aakhyaatuH = who informed; etat = such; priyam = good (news); me = to me.
"Oh, Manthara! You informed much gladdening news to me. What else can I do for you, who informed such a good news?"
rAme vA bharate vAha.n visheShaM nopalakShaye |
tasmAttuShTAsmi yadrAjA rAma.n rAjye.abhiShekShyati || 2-7-35
35. aham = I; na upalakshaye = do not see; visheshham = difference; raamevaa = in either Rama; bharatevaa = or Bharata; tasmaat = that is why; tushhTaasmi = I am happy; yat = for; raajaa = king; abhishekshyati = anointing; ramam = Rama; raajye = in kingdom.
"I do not see any difference between Rama and Bharata. That is why, I am happy that Rama is being anointed for crown by the king."
na me param kiJNchi ditastvayApi na |
priyaM priyArhe suvacham vacho param |
tathA hyavochastvamataH priyottaraM |
varaM varaM te pradadAmi ta.n vR^iNu || 2-7-36
36. priyaarhe = O; Manthara; who are eligible to be delighted! na kinchit = No other; param = greater; itaH = than this; me = to me; na suvacham = cannot be told easily; param = greater; priyam = lovely; vachaH = words; tvayaapi = by you also; tvam = you; avochaH hi = informed; tathaa = thus; priyottaram = the best of loving news; ataH = for this reason; pradadaami = I shall give; param = good; varam = boon; te = to you; vR^iNu = ask for; tam = it.
"O, Manthara! You do merit every favor. I have no other pleasant news than this. Hence, you cannot ever again inform a better loving news than this. I shall give you a good boon. Ask for it!"
- - -
|| ityaarshhe sriimadraamaayane aadikaavye ayodhyakaande shastaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy[Revised: May 05]
What the world says about
further information concerning
File powered by FREE Go FTP Client