That night in Ayodhya passed over with agony. At sunrise the Brahmins who enthrone a person as a king, assembled and requested Vasista the family priest of Ikshvakus to select a youth to be crowned as a king of Ayodhya. They enunciated the various evil consequences of allowing the country without a king and leaving it in anarchy.
आक्रन्दितनिरानन्दा सास्रकम्ठजनाविला |
आयोध्यायामतितता सा व्यतीयाय शर्वरी || २-६७-१
1. saa sarvarii = that night; ayodhyaayaam = in Ayodhya; aakrandita niraanandaa = which was joyless with a weeping tone; saasrakaNThajanaavilaa = thronged with people with tears in their throats; vyatiitaaya = passed away; atitaayaa = very much dragging.
That night in Ayodhya, which was joyless in a weeping tone and thronged with people with tears in their throats, slowly passed over.
व्यतीतायाम् तु शर्वर्याम् आदित्यस्य उदये ततः |
समेत्य राज कर्तारः सभाम् ईयुर् द्विजातयः || २-६७-२
2. tataH = afterwards; sharvaryaam = when the night. Vyatiitaayaam = was passing away; udaye = and with rising; aadityasa = of the sun; dvijaatayaH = the brahmanas; raajakartaaraH = who place a king on the throne; sametya = together; iiyuH = went; sabhaam = to the assembly.
At sunrise, when the night had passed over, the Brahmins who place a king on the throne, together gathered at the assembly.
मार्कण्डेयो अथ मौद्गल्यो वामदेवः च काश्यपः |
कात्ययनो गौतमः च जाबालिः च महा यशाः || २-६७-३
एते द्विजाः सह अमात्यैः पृथग् वाचम् उदीरयन् |
वसिष्ठम् एव अभिमुखाः श्रेष्ठः राज पुरोहितम् || २-६७-४
3;4. maarkaNdeyaH = Markandeya; atha = and; moudgalyaH = Moudgalya; vaamadevaH = Vamadeva; kaasyapaH = Kasyapa; kaatyaayanaH = Katyayana; goutamaashcha = Goutama; mahaayashaaH = the greatly famous; jaabaalishcha = Jabali; etc;;these; dvijaaH = Brahmans; amaatyaiHscha = along with ministers; abhimukhaaH = turned their face; vashishhThameva = towards Vasista; shreshhTaham = the excellent; raajapurohitam = royal priest; pR^ithak = and one by one; udiirayan = spoke; vaacham = words:
Markandeya, Moudgalya, Vamadeva, Kasyapa,Katyayana, Goutama and the greatly famous Jabali-all these Brahmans together with the ministers turned towards the excellent royal priest Vasishta and one by one spoke as follows:
अतीता शर्वरी दुह्खम् या नो वर्ष शत उपमा |
अस्मिन् पन्चत्वम् आपन्ने पुत्र शोकेन पार्थिवे || २-६७-५
5. asmin = "This; paarthiva = king; aapanne = having obtained; paNchatvam = death; putrashokena = due to grief for his sons; yaa = which night; varshhashatopamaa = which was equal to a hundred years; naH = to us; sharvarii = that night; atiitaa = has passed away; duHkham = with great difficulty."
"King Dasaratha having obtained death due to grief born of separation from his sons (Rama and Lakshmana), the night which burdened like a hundred years, has passed over with great difficulty."
स्वर् गतः च महा राजो रामः च अरण्यम् आश्रितः |
लक्ष्मणः च अपि तेजस्वी रामेण एव गतः सह || २-६७-६
6. mahaaraajaH = the monarch; svargatashcha = has gone to heaven; raamashcha = Rama; aashritaH = took retreat; araNyam = in a forest. tejasvii = The brilliant; lakshhmaNashcha = Lakshmana; gataH = went; raameNaiva saha = along with Rama in the same manner."
"The monarch has gone to heaven. Rama took retreat in a forest. The brilliant Lakshmana followed suit and went along with Rama."
उभौ भरत शत्रुघ्नौ क्केकयेषु परम् तपौ |
पुरे राज गृहे रम्ये मातामह निवेशने || २-६७-७
7. ubhou = both; bharata shatrughnou = Bharata and Satrughna; paramtapou = the annihilators of enemies; ramye maataamaha ni veshane = are encamped in the beautiful house of their maternal uncle; pure = in the city; raajagR^iihe = of Rajagriha; kaikeyeshhu = in the kingdom of Kekaya."
"Both Bharata and Satrughna, the annihilator of enemies, are encamped in the beautiful house of their maternal uncle in the city of Rajagriha in the kingdom of Kekaya."
इक्ष्वाकूणाम् इह अद्य एव कश्चित् राजा विधीयताम् |
अराजकम् हि नो राष्ट्रम् न विनाशम् अवाप्नुयात् || २-६७-८
8. kashchit = anyone; ikshhvaakuunaam = in Ikshvaku dynasty; iha = here; vidhiiyataam = should be made; raajaa = a king; adyaiva = today itself; naH = our; raashhTram = nation; araajakam = without a king; samavaapnuyaat = will obtain; hi = indeed; vinaasham = a collapse."
"Hence, let anyone here in Ikshvaku dynasty be made a king today itself lest our nation without a king should result in a collapse indeed."
न अराजले जन पदे विद्युन् माली महा स्वनः |
अभिवर्षति पर्जन्यो महीम् दिव्येन वारिणा || २-६७-९
9. parjanyaH = clouds; vidyunmaalii = with a garland of lightnings; mahaasvanaH = and with a great noise; naabhivarshhati = will not be showering; vaariNaa = with water; divyena = from sky; mahiim = on earth; janapade = in a country; araajake = without a king."
"Lightning clouds in the sky with a great noise of thunder, will not yield rain on the land in a country without a king."
न अराजके जन पदे बीज मुष्टिः प्रकीर्यते |
न अराकके पितुः पुत्रः भार्या वा वर्तते वशे || २-६७-१०
10. janapade = in a country; araajake = without a king; biijamushhTih = even a fist of seeds; naprakiinyate = are not dispersed; putraH = a son; bhaaryaavaa = or a wife; navartate = does not abide; vashe = in the authority; pituH = of a father; araajake = in an anarchy."
"Even a fist of seeds are not disbursed in a ruler- less land. In anarchy, even a son is not amenable to the control of a father nor a wife in the authority of her husband."
अराजके धनम् न अस्ति न अस्ति भार्या अपि अराजके |
इदम् अत्याहितम् च अन्यत् कुतः सत्यम् अराजके || २-६७-११
11. araajake = in a rulerless land; naasti = there is no; dhanam = wealth; araajake = where there is no king; naasti = there is no; bhaaryaapi = (faithful) wife. anyat = Another; atyaahitam = very dangerous thing; idam cha = is there; araajake = In a rulerless land; kutaH = how can there be; satyam = truth?"
"In a rulerless land, there is no wealth. Where there is no king, there is no (faithful) wife. Another very dangerous thing is there. In a ruler less territory, how can there be truth? "
न अराजके जन पदे कारयन्ति सभाम् नराः |
उद्यानानि च रम्याणि हृष्टाः पुण्य गृहाणि च || २-६७-१२
12. araajake = In a ruler less; janapade = country; naraaH = people; nakaarayante = do not arrange; sabhaam = assembly; hR^ishhTaaH = with delight; ramyaaNi = beautiful; udyaanaani = parks; puNyagR^ihaaNi = or temples."
"In a ruler- less country, people do not cause to make a delightful assembly nor erect beautiful parks or temples."
न अराजके जन पदे यज्ञ शीला द्विजातयः |
सत्राणि अन्वासते दान्ता ब्राह्मणाः संशित व्रताः || २-६७-१३
13. araajake = In a rulerless; janapade = territory; yaN^gashiilaH = Those who frequently perform sacrificial rites; daantaaH = those who are self restraint; brahmaNaaH = those who have divine knowledge; samshitavrataaH = those who firmly adhere to a vow; dvijaatayaH = and brahmanas; na anvaasate = do not carry out; sattraaNi = Soma sacrifices."
"In a ruler- less territory, those who frequently perform sacrificial rites, those who have self-restraint, those who firmly adhere to a vow as well as Brahmins do not carry out Soma sacrifices."
न अराजके जनपदे महायज्ञेषु यज्वनः |
ब्राह्मणा वसुसम्पन्ना विसृजन्त्याप्तदक्षिणाः || २-६७-१४
14. araajake = in a ruler less; janapade = land; vasusampannaaH = who accomplished wealth; yajvanaH = and sacrificers; mahaa yaN^geshhu = in great sacrificial rites; na visR^ijanti = do not bestow; aapta dakshhi NaaH = proper gifts."
"In a rulerless land, Brahmans who obtained wealth and sacrificers in great sacrificial rites do not bestow proper gifts"
न अराजके जन पदे प्रभूत नट नर्तकाः |
उत्सवाः च समाजाः च वर्धन्ते राष्ट्र वर्धनाः || २-६७-१५
15. araajake = In a ruler less; janapade = territory; utsavaashcha = festivals; samaajaashcha = and gatherings; raashhTra vardhanaaH = exalting the kingdom; prabhuuta naTa nartakaaH = having actors and dancers; na vardhante = are not intensified."
"In a ruler- less territory, festivals and gatherings exalting the kingdom in which actors, and dancers exhibit their talents are not frequently arranged"
न अरजके जन पदे सिद्ध अर्था व्यवहारिणः |
कथाभिर् अनुरज्यन्ते कथा शीलाः कथा प्रियैः || २-६७-१६
16. araajake = in a ruler less; janapade = land; vyavahaariNaH = litigants; na = do not; siddhaarthaaH = do not get their disputes settled; kathaashiilaaH = and those who frequently narrate stories; na anurajyante = do not gratify; kathaapriyaiH = story-lovers; kathaabhiH = with their stories."
"In a ruler less land, litigants do not get their disputes settled and persons who have a knack for narrating stories do not gratify story- lovers with their tales."
न अराजके जनपदे उद्यानानि समागताः |
सायाह्ने क्रीडितुम् यान्ति कुमार्यो हेमभूषिताः || २-६७-१७
17. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = territory; kumaaryaaH = girls; samaagataaH = together; hemabhuushhitaaH = adorned in gold; na yaanti = do not go; udyaanaani = to parks; kriiDitum = to play; saayaahne = in the evening."
"In a ruler less territory, girls adorned in gold do not go together to parks to play there in the evening."
न अराजके जन पदे वाहनैः शीघ्र गामिभिः |
नरा निर्यान्ति अरण्यानि नारीभिः सह कामिनः || २-६७-१८
18. araajake = in a lord less; janapade = land; kaaminaH = lustful; naraaH = men; na niryaanti = do not go out; naaribhiH = with ladies; araNyaani = to forests; shiighragaamibhiH = in speedily moving. vaahanaiH = vehicles."
"In a lord less land, lustful men do not go out to woods with ladies in speedily moving vehicles"
न अराकजे जन पदे धनवन्तः सुरक्षिताः |
शेरते विवृत द्वाराः कृषि गो रक्ष जीविनः || २-६७-१९
19. araajake = in a lord less; janapade = land; dhanavantaH = living on agriculture and cattle rearing; na sherate = do not sleep; surakshhitaaH = well protected; vivR^itadvaaraaH = with their doors open."
"In a lord less land, rich people living on agriculture and cattle rearing do not sleep in their abodes well protected, with their doors open"
न अराजके जनपदे बद्दघण्टा विषाणीनः |
आटन्ति राजमार्गेषु कुञ्जराः षष्टिहायनाः || २-६७-२०
20. janapade = in a land; araajake = without an emperor; kuNjaraaH = elephants; shhashTi haayanaaH = with sixty years of age; na aaTanti = do not roam; baddhaghaNTaa vishhaaNinaH = with bells tied around their tusks ; raajamaargeshhu = on royal highways."
"In a land without emperor, sixty year old elephants with bells tied around their tusks, do not roam around on royal high ways
न अराजके जनपदे शरान् सम्ततमस्यताम् |
श्रूयते तलनिर्घोष इष्वस्त्राणामुपासने || २-६७-२१
21. janapade = in a land; araajake = without a king; upaasane = while practicing; ishhvastraaNaam = the use of bows; talanirghoshhaH = the noise of plucking the bow string with the palm; asyataam = of archers who discharge; sharaan = arrows; santatam = continuously; na shruuyati = is not heard."
"In a ruler less land, the noise of plucking the bow string with the palm, produced by archers continuously discharging arrows while practicing the use of their bows, is not heard."
न अराजके जन पदे वणिजो दूर गामिनः |
गच्चन्ति क्षेमम् अध्वानम् बहु पुण्य समाचिताः || २-६७-२२
22. araajake = in a ruler less; janapade = land; vaNijaH = traders; duura gaaminaH = who go to distant places; bahuvaNya samaachitaa = along with several merchandises; na gachchhanti = can not travel; kshhemam = safely; adhvaanam = on the path."
"In a rulerless land, traders who go to distant places, carrying with them several merchandises, cannot travel safely in their voyages."
न अराजके जन पदे चरति एक चरः वशी |
भावयन्न् आत्मना आत्मानम् यत्र सायम् गृहो मुनिः || २-६७-२३
23. araajake = in rulerless; janapade = land; muniH = a monk; ekacharaH = who wanders alone; vashii = who has subdued his senses; bhaavayan = who meditates; aatmaanaa = himself; aatmaanam = on the soul; yatrasaayamgR^ihaH = and who takes up an abode wherever evening overtakes him; nacharati = cannot roam around."
"In a rulerless land, a monk who wanders alone, who has subdued his senses, who mediates himself on the soul and who takes up an abode wherever evening overtakes him, cannot roam around the city."
न अराजके जन पदे योग क्षेमम् प्रवर्तते |
न च अपि अराजके सेना शत्रून् विषहते युधि || २-६७-२४
24. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = land; yogakshhemam = gain and security; na pravartate = are not established; araajake = In anarchy ;senaa = army; na vishhahate = can not conquer; shatruun = enemies; yudhi = in battle."
"In a rulerless land; gain and security are not duly established. In anarchy, army cannot conquer enemies in battle."
न अराजके जनपदे हृष्टैः परमवाजिभिः |
नराः सम्यान्ति सहसा रथैश्च परिमण्डिताः || २-६७-२५
25. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = land; naraaH = people; parimanDitaaH = beautifully adorned; na samyaanti = cannot go; sahasaa = fast; paramavaajibhiH = in excellent horses; rathaishcha = and chariots; hR^ishhTaiH = cheerfully."
"In a rulerless land, people beautifully adorned, cannot go fast cheerfully in excellent horses and chariots."
न अराजके जनपदे नराः शास्त्रविशारदाः |
सम्पदन्तोऽवतिष्ठन्ते वनेषूपवनेषु च || २-६७-२६
26. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = land; naraaH = persons; shaastra vishaaradaaH = skilled in sacred scripts; na avatishhThante = can not sit; vaneshhu = in forests; upavaneshhu = and groves; samvadantaH = speaking together."
"In a rulerless land, persons skilled in sacred treatises cannot sit speaking together in forests and groves."
न अराजके जनपदे माल्यमोदकदक्षिणाः |
देवताभ्यर्चनार्थय कल्प्यन्ते नियतैर्जनैः || २-६७-२७
27. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = territory; maalyamodakadakshhiNaaH = garlands; sweetmeats and gifts; devataabhyarchanaarthaaya = for the purpose of worshipping deities; nakalpayante = are not arranged; niyataiH = by the appointed; janaiH = persons."
"In a rulerless land, floral garlands, sweet-meats and gifts for the sake of offering to the deities, are not arranged by the appointed persons."
न अराजके जनपदे चन्दनागुरुरूषिताः |
राजपुत्रा विराजन्ते वसन्त इव शाखिनः || २-६७-२८
28. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = land; raajaputraaH = royalprinces; chanda naaguru ruushhitaah = smeared with paste of sandal and aloe wood; na raajante = do not look brilliantly; shakhiraH iva = like trees; vasante = in springtime."
"In a rulerless land, royal princes smeared with paste of sandal and aloe-wood do not figure brilliantly like trees in a spring time."
यथा हि अनुदका नद्यो यथा वा अपि अतृणम् वनम् |
अगोपाला यथा गावः तथा राष्ट्रम् अराजकम् || २-६७-२९
29. anuudaaH = waterless; yathaa = like; nadyaH = the rivers; yathaa = like; atR^iNam = a lawnless; vanam = garden; yathaa vaa = and like ; agopaalaaH = cowherd less; yaavah = cows; yathaatathaa = in the same manner; araajakam = is a rulerless; raashhTram = country."
"A rulerless country is like the water less rivers, like the lawn less garden and like the cowherd less cows."
ध्वजो रथस्य प्रज्ञानम् धूमो ज्ञानम् विभावसोः |
तेषाम् यो नो ध्वजो राज स देवत्वमितो गतः || २-६७-३०
30. dhvajaH = A flag; praG^yaanam = is an identity; rathasya = for a chariot; dhuumaH = smoke; jJNaanam = is an identity; vibhaavasoH = for fire; teshhaam = for such; naH = of us; yaH = who; dhvajaH = like a flag; saH raajaa = that king; gatah = obtained; devatvam = godhead; itaH = from here."
"A flag is an identity for a chariot. A smoke is an identity for a fire. King Dasaratha, like a flag, was an identity for us and he has left the world for a heavenly abode."
न अराजके जन पदे स्वकम् भवति कस्यचित् |
मत्स्याइव नरा नित्यम् भक्षयन्ति परस्परम् || २-६७-३१
31. araajake = in a rulerless; janapade = land; na bhavati = there is no; svakam = one's own property; kasyachit = for any one; naraaH = persons ; nityam = always; bhakshhyanti = eat away; parasparam = each other; matsyaah iva = like eating fishes .
"In a rulerless land, there is no one's own property for any one. Like fishes, persons always eat away each other."
येहि सम्भिन्न मर्यादा नास्तिकाः चिन्न संशयाः |
ते अपि भावाय कल्पन्ते राज दण्ड निपीडिताः || २-६७-३२
32. yehi = which; naastikaaH = atheists; sambhinnamaryaadaah = who were separated from the right path; te api = they also; raajadaNDitapiiDitaaH = have been tormented; with punishment by the king; chhinna samshayaH = and now their fear being dispelled; kalpante = are able to excersise; bhaavaaya = their temperament."
"The atheists, who were separated from their right path and who had been tormented; with punishment earlier by the king, are now without fear and are able to exercise their old temperament (due to anarchy)"
यथा दृष्टिः शरीरस्य नित्यमेवप्रवर्तते |
तथा नरेन्द्रो राष्ट्रस्य प्रभवः सत्यधर्मयोः || २-६७-३३
33. yathaa = how; dR^IshhTiH = the eye-sight; (is helpful); nityameva = regularly; pravartate = for the proper setting in motion; shariirasya = of the body; tathaa = in the same manner; narendraH = a king; prabhavaH = is the cause of existence; satya dharmayoH = for truth and righteousness; raashhTrasya = of the country."
"As the eye sight is helpful regularly for a proper setting -in-motion of the body, so also a king is the cause of existence for truth and righteousness of a country."
राजा सत्यम् च धर्मश्च राजा कुलवताम् कुलम् |
राजा माता पिता चैव राजा हितकरो नृणाम् || २-६७-३४
34. raajaa = the king; satyamcha = is truthfulness; dharmashcha = and righteousness; kulavataam = belonging to a noble family; kulam = in a race; raajaa = the king; maata = is a mother; pitaachaiva = and even a father; raja = the king; hitakaraH = is a benefactor; nR^iNaam = to people."
"The king is truthfulness and righteousness personified in him. In a race, he belongs to a noble family. The king is a mother and a father. The king is a benefactor to people."
यमो वैश्रवणः शक्रो वरुणश्च महाबलः |
विशेष्यन्ते नरेन्द्रेण वृत्तेन महाता ततः || २-६७-३५
35. tataH = hence; (the god of death); Yama = (the god of riches);shakraH = Indra(the ruler of celestials); varuNashcha = Varuna(the ruler of waters); mahaabalaH = of great strength; viseshhyante = are out stretched; narendreNa = by the king; mahataa = of the high; vR^ittena = conduct."
"Hence, Yama (the god of Death); Kubera (the god of riches), Indra (the ruler of celestials) and the very mighty Varuna (the Lord of Waters) are outstretched by the a high and eminent conduct."
अहो तमैव इदम् स्यान् न प्रज्ञायेत किंचन |
राजा चेन् न भवेन् लोके विभजन् साध्व् असाधुनी || २-६७-३६
36. "aho = Alas! raajaana bhavedyati = If a king is not there; loke = in the world; vibhajan = discriminating; saadhvasaadhunii = between good and evil; idam = this world; syaat = will be; tamaH = dark; iva = as it were; na kimchana = Nothing; na prajaayata = will be clearly perceived."
"Alas! If a king is not there in the world, with his power of discrimination between good and evil, this world will be dark and nothing will be clearly perceived."
जीवति अपि महा राजे तव एव वचनम् वयम् |
न अतिक्रमामहे सर्वे वेलाम् प्राप्य इव सागरः || २-६७-३७
37. mahaaraajye jiivatyapi = even when the emperor was alive; vayam = we; sarve = all of us; naatikramaamahe = did not transgress;; tava = your; vachanameva = words; praapyeva = as with obtaining; velaam = the coast; saagaraH = by an ocean."
"Even when the emperor was alive, we all of us did not transgress your words, only any more than an ocean transgresses its coast."
स नः समीक्ष्य द्विज वर्य वृत्तम् |
नृपम् विना राज्यम् अरण्य भूतम् |
कुमारम् इक्ष्वाकु सुतम् वदान्यम् |
त्वम् एव राजानम् इह अभिषिन्चय || २-६७-३८
38. dvijararya = O; the excellent Brahmana! SaH = such of you; samikshhya = after reviewing; vR^Ittam = the circumstance; raajyam = the kingdom; nR^ipam vinaa = without a king; araNyabhuutam = becoming a jungle; tvamena = you yourself; abhishhiNcha = anoint; kumaaram = a youth; ikshhvaakusutam = born in Ikshvaku dynasty; tathaanyam = or any one else; iha = here; raajaanam = as king."
"O, the excellent Brahmana! After renewing the circumstances here and seeing that the kingdom is becoming a jungle without a king, you yourself anoint a youth born in Ikshvaku race or anyone here as a king."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे सप्तषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2003, K. M. K. Murthy