Kausalya reproaches Kaikeyi for her wrong deeds, while weeping profusely for her husband's death. The chamberlains reverently remove Kausalya from the place of the king's body, which they later keep in a trough filled with oil. The ministers and other functionaries return to their abodes, when the night fell in darkness.
तम् अग्निम् इव संशान्तम् अम्बु हीनम् इव अर्णवम् |
हतप्रभम् इव आदित्यम् स्वर्गथम् प्रेक्ष्य भूमिपम् || २-६६-१
कौसल्या बाष्प पूर्ण अक्षी विविधम् शोक कर्शिता |
उपगृह्य शिरः राज्ञः कैकेयीम् प्रत्यभाषत || २-६६-२
1;2. prekshhya = Seeing; tam paarthivam = that king; svargastham = who was dead; agnimiva = like fire; samshaantam = which is fully extinguished; aarNavamiva = like an ocean; ambuhiinam = bereft of water; aadityamiva = like the sun; hataprabham = dimmed in luster; kausalya = Kausalya; upagR^ihya = holding; raaG^YaH = the king's; shiraH = head; baashhpapuurNaakshhii = having her eyes filled with tears; shokakarshhitaa = who was stricken with grief; vividham = of various sorts; abhaashhata = spoke; kaikeyiim prati = to Kausalya (as follows:
Seeing the aforesaid deceased king, who looked like a fully extinguished fire, a waterless ocean and a lusterless sun, Kausalya holding the king's head on her lap with her eyes full of tears and who was stricken with grief of various sorts, spoke to Kausalya as follows:
सकामा भव कैकेयि भुन्क्ष्व राज्यम् अकण्टकम् |
त्यक्त्वा राजानम् एक अग्रा नृशंसे दुष्ट चारिणि || २-६६-३
3. Kaikeyi = " O Kaikeyi; nR^ishanse = the cruel one; dushhTachaariNi = and the evil doer! Bhava = you be there; sakaama = having fulfilled your desires; tyaktvaa = deserting; raajaanam = the king; bhuN^jvaa = you can enjoy;raajyam = the kingdom;ekaagraa = undisturbed; akaNtakam = and with out any hindrance."
"O Kaikeyi the cruel one and the doer of evils! You be there, having fulfilled your desires. Deserting the king, you can enjoy the kingdom undisturbed and without any hindrance.
विहाय माम् गतः रामः भर्ता च स्वर् गतः मम |
विपथे सार्थ हीना इव न अहम् जीवितुम् उत्सहे || २-६६-४
4. raamaH = Rama; vihaaya = has left; maam = me; gataH = and gone (to the forest); mama = My; bharataacha = husband also; svargataH = has gone to heaven; aham = I; na utsahe = do not wish; jiivitum = to live; saartha hiinena = as left behind by a caravan; vipathe = in a wrong road"
"Rama has left me and gone to the forest. My husband too has left for heaven. I do not wish to live, as one left behind by a caravan in a wrong road."
भर्तारम् तम् परित्यज्य का स्त्री दैवतम् आत्मनः |
इच्चेज् जीवितुम् अन्यत्र कैकेय्याः त्यक्त धर्मणः || २-६६-५
5. kaastrii = which woman; ichchhet = would wish; jiivitum = to survive; parityajya = leaving; aatmanaH tam bhartaaram = her that husband; daivatam = who was divine?; kaikeyyaaH anyatra = except Kaikeyi; tyakda dharmaNaH = who was kicked off righteousness."
"Which woman would wish to survive, leaving her husband who was divine, except Kaikeyi who kicked off righteousness?"
न लुब्धो बुध्यते दोषान् किम् पाकम् इव भक्षयन् |
कुब्जा निमित्तम् कैकेय्या राघवाणान् कुलम् हतम् || २-६६-६
6. lubdaH = a greedy person; na buddhyate = cannot understand; doshhaan = one's faults. Bhakshhayanniva = like one who eats; kimpaakam = a forbidden dish; kubjaanimiHan = Due to that hump-backed woman; kulam = the race; raaghavaaNaam = of Raghu dynasty; hitam = has been destroyed; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi."
"A greedy person cannot understand one's faults, like one who eats a forbidden dish. Due to that hump- backed woman, Kaikeyi has ruined the race of Raghu dynasty."
अनियोगे नियुक्तेन राज्ञा रामम् विवासितम् |
सभार्यम् जनकः श्रुत्वा पतितप्स्यति अहम् यथा || २-६६-७
7. shrutvaa = hearing; raamam = that Rama; sabhaaryam = along with his wife; vivaasitam = have been sent to exile; raaG^yaa = by the king; myuktena = coerced; aniyoge = to do an unworthy act; janakaH = Janaka; paritapsyati = will profusely lament; aham yathaa = as I do."
"Hearing Rama along with his wife have been sent to exile by the king as he was coerced as he was (Kaikeyi) to do an unworthy act, Janaka will profusely lament as I do."
स मामनाथाम् विधवाम् नाद्य जानाति धार्मिकः |
रामः कमल पत्र अक्षो जीव नाशम् इतः गतः || २-६६-८
8. saH raamaH = that Rama; dharmikaH = the pious man; kamala patraakshhaH = having eyes like lotus leaves; gataH = having got; naasham = disappeared; itaH = from here; jiivam = even though; surviving; adya = now; na jaanaati = does not know; maam = me; anaadham = to have become support-less; vidhavaam = widow."
"Rama the pious man who is possessed of like lotus leaves, and who has disappeared from here even though living, now does not know me to have because a support -less widow.
विदेह राजस्य सुता तहा सीता तपस्विनी |
दुह्खस्य अनुचिता दुह्खम् वने पर्युद्विजिष्यति || २-६६-९
9. tathaa = even so; siitaa = Sita; sutaa = the daughter; videha raajasya = of king of Videha; tapasvinii = the pitiable lady; anuchitaa = and who is unworthy; duHkhasya = of lamentation; parudvijishhyati = will get frightened; duHkham = with grief; vane = in the forest."
"Even so, Sita, the daughter of king of Videha, the pitiable lady and who is unworthy of lamentation, will get frightened with grief in the forest.
नदताम् भीम घोषाणाम् निशासु मृग पक्षिणाम् |
निशम्य नूनम् संस्त्रस्ता राघवम् संश्रयिष्यति || २-६६-१०
10. santraptaa = greatly alarmed; nishamya = to hear; bhimaghoshhaNaam = fearfully crying; mR^igapakshhiNaam = wild animals and birds; nadataam = making their noises; nishaasu = in nights; samshrayishhyaH = she will take refuge; nuunam = surely; raaghavam = with Rama."
"Greatly alarmed to hear the fearful cries of wild animals and birds making their noises in nights, surely she will cling herself to Rama.
वृद्धः चैव अल्प पुत्रः च वैदेहीम् अनिचिन्तयन् |
सो अपि शोक समाविष्टः ननु त्यक्ष्यति जीवितम् || २-६६-११
11. saHapi = Janaka too; vR^iddhashchaiva = who is aged; alpa putrashcha = and who was not having sons; anuchintayan = will be thinking; vaidehiim = of Sita; shokamaavishhTaH = over whelmed with grief; tyakshhyatinanu = and will surely abandon; jiivitum = his life."
"Janaka too who is aged, and who is not having sons, will be thinking of Sita, over whelmed with grief and will surely abandon his life.
साहमद्यैव दिष्टान्तम् गमिष्यामि पतिव्रता |
इदम् शरीरमालिङ्ग्य प्रवेक्ष्यामि हुताशनम् || २-६६-१२
12. adyaiva = today itself; saa aham = I too; pativrataa = in devotion to my husband; gamishhyaami = will get; dishhTaantam = my appointed end; pravakshhyaami = I shall enter; hutaasham = the fire; aaliN^gya = duly embracing; idam = this; shariiram = body of my husband"
"Today itself, I too in devotion to my husband, will meet my appointed end. I shall enter the fire, duly embracing this body of my husband.
ताम् ततः सम्परिष्वज्य विलपन्तीम् तपस्विनीम् |
व्यपनिन्युः सुदुह्ख आर्ताम् कौसल्याम् व्यावहारिकाः || २-६६-१३
13. vyaavakaari kaaH = chamberlains; vyapanyuH = reverently removed; tataH = from that place; taam kausalyaa = that Kausalya; tapasviniim = who was unfortunate; suduHkhaartaam = who was in the excessof her grief; samparishhvajya = and closely embracing her dead husband.
The chamberlains reverently removed from that place that unfortunate Kausalya, who was in excess of her grief and was closely embracing her dead husband.
तैल द्रोण्याम् अथ अमात्याः सम्वेश्य जगती पतिम् |
राज्ञः सर्वाणि अथ आदिष्टाः चक्रुः कर्माणि अनन्तरम् || २-६६-१४
14. atha = thereafter; amaatyaaH = the ministers; aadishhTaaH = assigned; samveshya = kept; jagatiipatim = the king; tailadroNyaam = in an oil through; chakruH = and did; sarvaaNi = all karmaaNi = the acts; anantaram = that were to be done thereafter; raaN^gaH = for the king.
The ministers assigned for the job kept the king in an oil trough and did all the acts that were to be done therafter.
न तु सम्कलनम् राज्ञो विना पुत्रेण मन्त्रिणः |
सर्वज्ञाः कर्तुम् ईषुस् ते ततः रक्षन्ति भूमिपम् || २-६६-१५
15. mantriNaH = the ministers; sarvaG^yaaH = who were knowing all such matters; na iishhuH = were not willing; kartum = to do; samkalanam = cremation; raaG^yaH = for the king; vinaa putreNa = in the absence of his sons; tataH = and that is why; rakshhantu = preserved; bhuumipam = the king.
The ministers who were knowing all such matters were not willing to do cremation for the king in the absence of his sons and that is why preserved the king's body .(in an oil through).
तैल द्रोण्याम् तु सचिवैः शायितम् तम् नर अधिपम् |
हा मृतः अयम् इति ज्ञात्वा स्त्रियः ताः पर्यदेवयन् || २-६६-१६
16. jJNaatraa = knowing; tam naraadhipam = that the king; shaayitam = also laid down; taila droNyaam = in an oil through; taaH = those ; striyaH = women; puryadevayan = cried; iti = thus: "haa = Alas! Ayam = He; mR^itaH = is dead!"
Seeing that the king was laid down in an oil through by the ministers those women in the gynaacium cried "Alas! He is dead!"
बाहून् उद्यम्य कृपणा नेत्र प्रस्रवणैः मुखैः |
रुदन्त्यः शोक सम्तप्ताः कृपणम् पर्यदेवयन् || २-६६-१७
17. mukhaiH = with their faces; netra prasravaNaiH = with eyes flowing with tears; kR^ipaNaaH = the miserable women; udyamya = lifted up; baahuun = their arms; rudantyaH = and while weeping; shokasantaptaaH = stricken with grief; kR^ipaNaa = pitiably; paryadevayaa = lamented as follows:-
Crying their faces with eyes flowing with tears, the miserable women through up their arms, stricken with grief as they were and pitiably lamented as follows:
हा महाराज रामेण सततम् प्रियवादिना |
विहीनाः सत्यसन्धेन किमर्थम् विजहासि नः || २-६६-१८
18. "haa mahaaraaja = Alas! Great king! ViviinaaH = when we are deprived; raameNa = of Rama; priya vaadinaa = who speaks lovingly; satatam = always; satya sandhena = and keeps up his promise; kimartham = why; vijahaasi = have you left; naH = us?"
"Alas! Great king! When we are already deprived of Rama who speaks lovingly and who always keeps up his promise, why have you left us?"
कैकेय्या दुष्टभावाया राघवेण वियोजिताः |
कथम् पतिघ्न्या वत्स्यामः समीपे विधवा वयम् || २-६६-१९
19. viyojitaa = far in distance; raaghaveNa = Rama; katham = how; vayam = shall we; vidhaavaH = without our husband; vatyaayaH = = live; samiipe = in proximity; kaikeyyaaH = to Kaikeyi; dushhTabhaavayaaH = of perverse nature; patighnaaH = and who killed her husband?"
"Far in distance from Rama, how shall we without our husband, live in proximity to Kaikeyi of wretched nature, who killed her husband?
स हि नाथः सदास्माकम् तव च प्रभुरात्मवान् |
वनम् रामो गतः श्रीमान् विहाय नृपतिश्रियम् || २-६६-२०
20. saH = that; raamaH = Rama; naathaH = who was a protector; sadaa = always; asmaakam = to us; tava cha = and to you; prabhuH = a capable person; aatmavaan = a prudent man; shriimaan = an eminent man; gataH hi = has indeed gone; vanam = to the forest; vihaaya = living; nR^ipatishriyam = the loving kingdom."
"Rama, a protector to you and all of us as well as a capable, prudent and an eminent man, has indeed gone on exile to the forest, leaving this lovely kingdom.
त्वया तेन च वीरेण विना व्यसनमोहिताः |
कथम् वयम् निवत्स्यामः कैकेय्या च विदूषिताः || २-६६-२१
21. katham = how; vayam = can we; viduushhitaaH = by Kaikeyi; vyasana mohihataa = who is stupefied; by evil passion; nivatsyaamaH = live; tvayaa vinaa = and without that heroic Rama."
"How can we, being disgraced by Kaikeyi, and stupefied by evil passion, live without you and the heroic Rama."
यया तु राजा रामश्च लक्ष्मणश्च महाबलः |
सीतया सह सम्त्य्क्ताः सा कमन्यम् न हास्यति || २-६६-२२
22. yayaa = by which Kaikeyi; raajaa = the king; raamashcha = Rama; lakshmaNashcha = Lakshmana; mahaabalah = of great strength; along with Sita; samtyaktaaH = were abandoned; saa = by her; kam = whom; anyam = else; na haasyati = cannot be abandoned?"
"Whom else will Kaikeyi by whom have been abandoned the king as well as Rama along with Lakshmana great strength and Sita- not abandon?
ता बाष्पेण च सम्वीताः शोकेन विपुलेन च |
व्यवेष्टन्त निरानन्दा राघवस्य वरस्त्रीयः || २-६६-२३
23. baashhpeNa = with tears; vipulena = with excessive; shokenacha = agony; raaghavasya = Dasaratha's; taaH varastriyaH = those excellent wives; sam vii taah = together in arrow; vyaveshhTanta = rolled on the ground; niraanandaaH = sorrowful as they were."
"With tears and excessive agony, those excellent Dasaratha's wives together in a row, rolled on the ground, sorrowful as they were."
निशा नक्षत्र हीना इव स्त्री इव भर्तृ विवर्जिता |
पुरी न अराजत अयोध्या हीना राज्ञा महात्मना || २-६६-२४
24. ayodhayaa purii = the city of Ayodhya; hiinaa = bereft; raaG^yaa = of the king Dasaratha; mahaatmanaa = the high soled; naaraaJata = was splendour less; nisheva = as a night; chandra vihiinaa = without moon; striiva = and as a woman; bhartR^ivihiinaa = without husband."
The city of Ayodhya, bereft of the high-soled king Dasaratha, was splendour-less, as a night without moon and as awoman without husband.
बाष्प पर्याकुल जना हाहा भूत कुल अन्गना |
शून्य चत्वर वेश्म अन्ता न बभ्राज यथा पुरम् || २-६६-२५
25. baashhpa paryaakula janaa = people disturbed with tears; haahaabhuuta kulaaN^ganaa = with virtuous women raising cries of distress; shuunyachatvara veshmantaa = its cross roads and entrances of horses looking desolate ; (the city of Ayodhya); na babhraaja = did not shine; yathaapuram = as before.
With people disturbed with tears, with virtuous women raising cries of distress and with its cross -roads and entrances of houses looking desolate, the city of Ayodhya did not shine as before.
गत प्रभा द्यौर् इव भास्करम् विना |
व्यपेत नक्षत्र गणा इव शर्वरी |
निवृत्तचारः सहसा गतो रविः |
प्रवृत्तचारा राजनी ह्युपस्थिता || २-६६-२६
26. naraadhipe = (while)the king; gate tu = has gone; tridivam = to heaven; shokaat = due to misery; nR^ipaaNga naasu = the king's wives; mahiitalasthaasucha = were lying on the ground; raviH = the sun; sahasaa = quickly; gataH = went away; nivR^iHachaayaaH = retreating its movement. rajanii = The night; upaasthitaa hii- = approaches; pravR^iHachaaraa = darkness having proceeded to spread.
While the king has gone to heaven due to grief and while the king's wives were lying on the ground , the sun suddenly went away retreating its movement. The night approached, with its darkness having proceeded to spread throughout.
ऋते तु पुत्राद्दहनम् महीपते |
र्नरोचयन्ते सुहृदः समागताः |
इतीव तस्मिन् शयने न्यवेशय |
न्विचिन्त्य राजानमचिन्त्य दर्शनम् || २-६६-२७
27. suR^idaH = the friends and relatives; samaagataaH = who came there; na rochayante = did not like; mahiipateH = the king's; dahanam = cremation; putraatR^ite = in the absence of his sons; itivaa = Thus; vichintya = thinking; nyaveshayan = kept; raajaanam = the king; achintya darshanam = of inconceivable sight; tasmin shayane = in that resting place.
The friends and relatives who came there, did not like the king's cremation in the absence of his sons. Thus thinking, they kept the king of inconceivable sight in that resting place(oil- trough)
गतप्रभा द्यौरिव भास्करम् विना |
व्यपेतनक्षत्रगणेव शर्वरी |
पुरी बभासे रहिता मह आत्मना |
न च अस्र कण्ठ आकुल मार्ग चत्वरा || २-६६-२८
28. rahitaa = deserted by; mahaatmanaa = the high-soled Dasaratha; asrakaNThaakula maargachatvaara = with its roads and cross-roads filled with people choked with tears in their throats; purii = the city of Ayodhya; dyouriva = looking like sky; bhaaskaram vinaa = without sun; sharvariiva = and like night; vyapeta nakshhaatragaNaa = with its multitude of stars disappeared ; nababhaase = did not shine; gata prabhaa = with its light having gone away.
Deserted by the high-soled Dasaratha, with its roads and cross roads filled with people choked with tears in their throats, the city of Ayodhya, looking like sky without sun and night with its multitude of stars disappeared, did not shine with its light having gone away.
नराः च नार्यः च समेत्य सम्घशो |
विगर्हमाणा भरतस्य मातरम् |
तदा नगर्याम् नर देव सम्क्षये |
बभूवुर् आर्ता न च शर्म लेभिरे || २-६६-२९
29. tadaa = then; naradeva samkshhaye = while the king was dead; naraashcha = men; naaryashcha = and women; nagaryaam = in the city; samatya = converged; samghashah = in groups; vigarhamaaNaaH = abusing; bharatasya = Bharata's;maataram = mother; babhuuvaH = become; aartaaH = disturbed; nachalebhiva = and did not obtain; sharma = happiness.
After the king's death, men and women in the city converged in groups, abusing Bharata's mother, became disturbed and did not obtain happiness.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे ष्ट्ष्ष्टितम सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
who and verse
Site powered by FREE Go FTP Client