As per the orders of king Dasaratha, Sumantra delivers the parting messages of Rama and Lakshmana. Rama sends positive messages to Kausalya and Bharata but Lakshmana sends angry messages to Dasaratha.
प्रत्याश्वस्तः यदा राजा मोहात् प्रत्यागतः पुनः |
थाजुहाव तम् सूतम् राम वृत्त अन्त कारणात् || २-५८-१
1. atha = thereafter; raajaa = the king; yadaa = when; pratyaashvastaH = recovered; mohaat = from loss of consciousness; punaH = and again; pratyaagataH = returned to his breath; (then) aajuhaava = called; tam suutam = that charioteer; raama vR^ittantaa kaaraNaat = for the purpose of getting the report on Rama.
Thereafter, the king when recovered from loss of consciousness and again returned to his breath, he called that charioteer for the purpose of getting the report on Rama.
तदा सूतो महाराज कृताञ्जलिरुपस्थितः|
राममेव अनुशोचन्तं दुःखशोकसमन्वितम् || २-५८-२
वृद्धम् परम सम्तप्तम् नव ग्रहम् इव द्विपम् |
विनिःश्वसन्तम् ध्यायन्तम् अस्वस्थम् इव कुन्जरम् || २-५८-३
2-3. atha = then; suutaH = sumantra; kR^itaaJNjaliH = who joined his palms in reverence; upasthitaH = approached; mahaaraaja = the monarch; anushochantam = who was repenting; raamameva = about Rama alone; duhkha shoka samanvitam = filled with pain and sorrow; vR^iddham = who was advanced in age; parama samtaptam = who was greatly anguished; vinihshvasantam = who was sighing; dvipam iva = like an elephant; nava graham = which was newly caught; dhyaayantam = who was thinking something; kunjaram iva = like an elephant; asvastham = which is sick.
Then, Sumantra, who joined his palms in reverence, approached the monarch who was repenting about Rama alone, filled with pain and sorrow, advanced in age, greatly anguished, sighing like a newly caught elephant and reflecting on something as a sick elephant.
राजा तु रजसा सूतम् ध्वस्त अङ्गम् समुपस्थितम् |
अश्रु पूर्ण मुखम् दीनम् उवाच परम आर्तवत् || २-५८-४
4. raajaa = the king; parama aartavat = having great distress; uvaacha = spoke; suutam = to Sumantra; dhvasta aN^gam = whose body was covered; rajasaa = with dust; ashru puurNa mukham = whose face was filled with tears; diinam = who was miserable; samupasthitam = and who approached near him.
The king, having great distress, spoke to Sumantra, whose body was covered with dust, his face filled with tears, who was miserable and who approached near him (as follows):
क्व नु वत्स्यति धर्म आत्मा वृक्ष मूलम् उपाश्रितः |
सो अत्यन्त सुखितः सूत किम् अशिष्यति राघवः || २-५८-५
5. suuta = Oh; Sumantra; kva nu = where; dharmaatmaa = can Rama the virtuous man; vatsyati = reside; upaashritaH = taking refuge; vR^ikSa muulam = at the root of a tree? Kim = what; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; atyanta sukhitaH = who enjoyed very many comforts; ashiSyati = can eat?
"Oh, Sumantra! Where can Rama the virtuous man abide, taking refuge at the root of a tree? What that Rama, who enjoyed very many pleasantries, can eat now?"
दुःखस्यानुचितो दुःखम् सुमन्त्र शयनोचितः |
भूमि पाल आत्मजो भूमौ शेते कथम् अनाथवत् || २-५८-६
6. sumantra = Oh Sumantra; katham = how can; bhuumi paala aatmajo = Rama the prince; shayanochitaH = who was habituated to good beds; shete = sleep; duHkham = with discomfort; bhuumau = on a floor; anaathavat = like an orphan?
"Oh, Sumantra! How can Rama the prince, who was habituated to good beds, sleep with such discomfort on a floor like an orphan?"
यम् यान्तम् अनुयान्ति स्म पदाति रथ कुण्ज़्जराः |
स वत्स्यति कथम् रामः विजनम् वनम् आश्रितः || २-५८-७
7. yam = with whom; yaantam = while journeying; padaati ratha kuNJjaraaH = foot-soldiers; chariots and elephants; anuyaanti sma = sued to follow; katham = how; saH raamaH = that Rama; aashritaH = can take shelter; vatsyati = and stay; vijanam = in a deserted; vanam = forest?
"Foot soldiers, Chariots and elephants used to follows whenever Rama was marching ahead. How such a man can take shelter and stay in a forest devoid of people?"
व्याळैः मृगैः आचरितम् कृष्ण सर्प निषेवितम् |
कथम् कुमारौ वैदेह्या सार्धम् वनम् उपस्थितौ || २-५८-८
8. katham = how; kumaarau = Rama and Lakshmana; vaidehyaa saardham = along with Seetha; upasthitau = reached; vanam = the forest; aacaritam = being frequented by; vyaaLaiH = wild; mR^igaiH = animals; kR^iSNa sarpa niSevitam = and haunted by black snakes?
"How Seetha Rama and Lakshmana entered forest filled with wild animals and black snakes?"
सुकुमार्या तपस्विन्या सुमन्त्र सह सीतया |
राज पुत्रौ कथम् पादैः अवरुह्य रथात् गतौ || २-५८-९
9. sumantra = Oh Sumantra! Katham = how; raajaputrau = those princes; siitayaa saha = with Seetha; sukumaaryaa = the delicate; tapasvinyaa = and the poor lady; gatau = went; paadaiH = on foot; avaruhya = after descending; rathaat = from the chariot?
"Oh, Sumantra! How those princes with Seetha the delicate and the poor lady went on foot, after descending from the chariot?"
सिद्ध अर्थः खलु सूत त्वम् येन दृष्टौ मम आत्मजौ |
वन अन्तम् प्रविशन्तौ ताव् अश्विनाव् इव मन्दरम् || २-५८-१०
10. suuta = Oh; Sumantra! Ye = by you; mama = my; aatmajau = sons; dR^iSTau = have been seen; pravishantau = entering; vana antam = the boundary of the forest; mandaram iva = as (entering) the region of Mandara mountain; ashvinaav = by the two divinities of Aswini; tvam = you; siddha arthaH khalu = are indeed accomplished.
"Oh, Sumantra! You have seen my sons entering the forest, as though divinities of Aswini had entered the Mountain-range of Mandara. You are indeed lucky."
किम् उवाच वचो रामः किम् उवाच च लक्ष्मणः |
सुमन्त्र वनम् आसाद्य किम् उवाच च मैथिली || २-५८-११
11. sumantra = Oh; Sumantra! Aasaadya = after reaching; vanam = the forest; kim = what; vachaH = words; raamaH = (did) Rama; uvaacha = speak; kim = what did; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; uvaacha = speak; kim cha = and what; maithilii = (did) Seetha; uvaacha = speak?
"Oh, Sumantra! After reaching the forest, what words did Rama speak? What did Lakshmana speak? What did Seetha speak?"
आसितम् शयितम् भुक्तम् सूत रामस्य कीर्तय |
जीविष्याम्यहमेतेन ययातिरिव साधुषु || २-५८-१२
12. suuta = Oh; charioteer; kiirtaya = tell (me); asitam = about sitting; shayitam = sleeping; bhuktam = and eating; raamasya = of Rama; etena = by this; aham = I; jiivishhyaami = shall survive; saadhushhu iva = as among saints; yayaatiH = Yayati (lived).
"Oh, charioteer! Tell me where Rama sat, slept and took food. By hearing these things, I shall survive, as Yayati survived in the company of saints."
Comment: King Yayati, when doomed to fall from heaven requested Indra to cast his lot with saints. He was accordingly sent down to a spot on the earth, where four ascetics- Astaka Pratardana, Vasuman and King Sibi had been practicing austerities, and had discourse with them- Mahabharata, Adi Parva.
इति सूतः नर इन्द्रेण चोदितः सज्जमानया |
उवाच वाचा राजानम् स बाष्प परिर्बद्धया || २-५८-१३
13. choditaH = as asked; iti = thus; narendreNa = by the king; saH suutaH = that charioteer; uvaacha = spoke; raajaanam = to the emperor; vaachaa = in a voice; sajjamaanayaa = quivering; baaSpa paribaddhayaa = and choked with tears.
As asked thus by the king, Sumantra spoke to the emperor in a voice quivering and choked with tears (as follows).
अब्रवीन् माम् महा राज धर्मम् एव अनुपालयन् |
अन्जलिम् राघवः कृत्वा शिरसा अभिप्रणम्य च || २-५८-१४
14. mahaaraaja = Oh; emperor; raaghavaH = Rama; anupaalayan = keeping up; dharmameva = the prescribed course of conduct; kR^itvaa = making; anjalim = salutation with joined palms; abhipraNamya cha = and bowing in reverence; shirasaa = with his head (to you); abraviit = spoke; maam = to me.
"Oh, emperor! Rama, keeping up the prescribed course of conduct, making salutation with joined palms and bowing his head in reverence to you, spoke to me as follows:"
सूत मद्वचनात् तस्य तातस्य विदित आत्मनः |
शिरसा वन्दनीयस्य वन्द्यौ पादौ महात्मनः || २-५८-१५
15. suuta = Oh; charioteer; paadau = the feet; tasya taatasya = of my father; vidita aatmanaH = one with remarkable intellect; mahaatmanaH = one with mighty soul; vandaniiyasya = and one to be respectfully greeted; vandyau = are to be saluted; shirasaa = with my head; madvacanaat = through my words.
"Oh, charioteer! Tell my salutations to my father, the one with a remarkable intellect, a mighty soul and the one to be respectfully greeted."
सर्वम् अन्तः पुरम् वाच्यम् सूत मद्वचनात्त्वया |
आरोग्यम् अविशेषेण यथा अर्हम् च अभिवादनम् || २-५८-१६
16. suuta = Oh; Charioteer; vaachyam = It is to be spoken; tvayaa = by you; madvachanaat = as my word; sarvam = to the entire; antaH puram = gynaeceum; avisheSeNa = without any disparity; aarogyam = about their health; yathaarham = and appropriate; abhivaadanam ca = salutations too.
Oh, charioteer! Enquire about the health of all the people in the gynaeceum without any disparity and offer my appropriate salutations to them.
माता च मम कौसल्या कुशलम् च अभिवादनम् |
अप्रमादम् च वक्तव्या ब्रूयाश्चैमिदम् वचः || २-५८-१७
17. mama = my; maataa = Kausalya; vaktavyaa = is to be told; kushalam = about my welfare; abhivaadanam ca = about my salutations; apramaadam ca = and about my alertness; bruuyaaH = tell; idam = these; vachashcha = words also.
My mother Kausalya is to be told about my welfare, about my offering salutations to her and about my meticulousness.
धर्मनित्या यथाकालमग्न्यगारपरा भव |
देवि देवस्य पादौ च देववत् परिपालय || २-५८-१८
18. devii = Oh; godly lady; bhava = be; dharmanityaa = righteous always; agnyagaaraparaa = and be interested in offering sacrifices in the house of fire-worship; yathaa kaalam = as per the prescribed timings; paripaalaya = nurture; paadau ca = the feet; devasya = of the King Dasaratha; devavat = like with a god.
"Oh, godly lady! Be always righteous and be interested in offering worship and sacrifices as per the prescribed timings in the House of Fire worship. Nurture the feet of the Lord Dasaratha, like with a god."
अभिमानम् च मानम् च त्यक्त्वा वर्तस्व मातृषु |
अनु राजान मार्याम् च कैकेयीमम्ब कारय || २-५८-१९
19. amba = Oh; mother; vartasva = behave; maatR^iSu = towards other mothers; tyaktvaa = abounding; abhimaanam ca = self-conceit; maanam ca = and indignation; kaaraya = make; aaryaam = the venerable; kaikeyiim = Kiakeyi; raajaanam anu = agreeable to the king.
"Oh, mother! Behave towards my other mothers, abandoning self-conceit and indignation. Make the venerable Kaikeyi, agreeable to the king."
कुमारे भरते वृत्तिर्वर्तितव्याच राजवत् |
अर्थज्येष्ठा हि राजानो राजधर्ममनुस्मर || २-५८-२०
20. bharate = in respect of Bharata; kumaare = your son; vartitavyaa = follow; vR^ittiH = a respectable behaviour; raajavat = as with a king; raajaanaH = kings; artha jyeSThaaH hi = are indeed sovereign in substance; anusmara = remember; raajadharmam = the rules; relating to kings.
"In respect of Bharata your son, follow a respectable behaviour as with a king. Kings are indeed sovereign in substance. Remember the rules relating to kings."
भरतः कुशलम् वाच्यो वाच्यो मद् वचनेन च |
सर्वास्व एव यथा न्यायम् वृत्तिम् वर्तस्व मातृषु || २-५८-२१
21. bharataH = Bharata; vaacyaH = is to be asked; kushalam = about his well-being; vaacyaH ca = It is to be told also; madvachanena = as my word; vartasva = follow; vR^ittim = good behaviour; eva = indeed; yathaanyaayam = judiciously; sarvaasu = towards all; maatR^iSu = mothers.
"Bharata is to be enquired about his well-being and he is also to be informed as follows: "Follow good behaviour indeed judiciously towards all your mothers."
वक्तव्यः च महा बाहुर् इक्ष्वाकु कुल नन्दनः |
पितरम् यौवराज्यस्थो राज्यस्थम् अनुपालय || २-५८-२२
22. mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed Bharata; ikSvaaku kula nandanaH = the son of Ikshvaku race; vaktavyaH ca = is to be told (as follows) yauvaraajyasthaH = being installed in the office of prince Regent.
"The mighty armed Bharata the son of Ikshvaku race, is to be told as follows: �Being installed in the office of Prince Regent, attend to your father who still stays in the throne'."
अतिक्रान्तवया राजा मास्मैनम् व्यवरोरुधः |
कुमारराज्ये जीव त्वम् तस्यैवाज्ञ्प्रवर्तनाम् || २-५८-२३
23. raajaa = the King; atikraantavayaaH = has crossed his age; maasmainam vyavarorudhaH = do not depose; enam = him; aaJNaapravartanaat = by proceeding according to the orders; tasyaiva = of the king; tvam = of; jiiva = live; kumaara raajye = as a prince."
"The king has crossed his age. But do not depose him on that score. By proceeding according to the orders of the king, you live as a prince."
अब्रवीच्चापि माम् भूयो भृशमश्रूणि वर्तयन् |
मातेव मम माता ते द्रष्टव्या पुत्रगर्धिनी || २-५८-२४
24. vartayan = shedding; ashruuNi = tears; bhR^isham = profusely; bhuuyaH = (he) again; abraviicchaapi = spoke; maam = to me (as follows); maam maataa = my mother; putragardhinii = who is very much longing her son; draSTavyaa = is to be looked after; te = by you; maateva = as your mother.
"Shedding tears profusely, Rama again spoke to me as follows : �My mother, who is very much longing her son, is to be looked after by you as if she is your mother'."
इति एवम् माम् महाराज बृवन्न् एव महा यशाः |
रामः राजीव ताम्र अक्षो भृशम् अश्रूणि अवर्तयत् || २-५८-२५
25. mahaaraja = Oh; emperor; raamaH = Rama; mahaayashaaH = of most beautiful appearance; raajiiva taamraakshhaH = with red eyes resembling red lotus flowers; bruvanneva = while even uttering; ityeva = thus; maam = to me; bhR^isham = amply; avartata = shed; ashruuNi = tears.
"Oh, emperor! Rama of the most beautiful appearance with red eyes resembling red lotus flowers, while even uttering these words to me profusely shed tears."
लक्ष्मणः तु सुसम्क्रुद्धो निह्श्वसन् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् |
केन अयम् अपराधेन राज पुत्रः विवासितः || २-५८-२६
26. lakshmaNastu = but Lakshmana; susamkruddhaH = was very angry; nishshvasan = and breathing a sigh; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; kena = on which; aparedhena = offence; ayam = this; raajaputraH = prince; vivaasitaH = was expelled from his home'"
"But Lakshmana was very angry and breathing a sigh, spoke to me as follows: �On which offence this prince was expelled from home?'"
राज्ञा तु खलु कैकेय्या लघु त्वाश्रित्य शासनम् |
कृतम् कार्यमकार्यम् वा वयम् येनाभिपीडिताः || २-५८-२७
27. raajJNaa tu = the king even; aashritya = took shelter under; laghu = the wretched; shaasanam = decree; kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi; kR^itam = and did; akaaryam = an act not to be done; kaaryam = as though it is a proper act; yena = by which; vayam = we; abhipiiDitaH = are tormented.
"The king even took shelter under a wretched decree of Kaikeyi and performed an act not to be done, as though it is a proper deed, for which we are now tormented."
यदि प्रव्राजितः रामः लोभ कारण कारितम् |
वर दान निमित्तम् वा सर्वथा दुष्कृतम् कृतम् || २-५८-२८
28. lobha kaaraNa kaaritam = either instigated by passion; vara daana nimittam vaa = or with the intention of giving boons; raamaH = Rama; pravraajitaH yadi = was sent to exile; dushhkR^itam = an infamous deed; kR^itam = was done; sarvathaa = by all means."
"Even if this was done for the good pleasure of the king or through the will of God, I do not see any justification for Rama's abandonment."
इदम् तावद्यथाकाममीश्वरस्य कृते कृतम् |
रामस्य तु परित्यागे न हेतुम् उपलक्षये || २-५८-२९
29. idam taavat = even if this; kR^itam = was done; yathaakaamam = for the good pleasure of the kin; iishvarasya kR^ita = or through the will of god; na upalakshhye = I do not see; hetum = any justification; raamasya = for Rama's parityaage = abandonment.
"Even if this was done for the good pleasure of the king or through the will of god, I do not see any justification for Rama's abandonment."
असमीक्ष्य समारब्धम् विरुद्धम् बुद्धि लाघवात् |
जनयिष्यति सम्क्रोशम् राघवस्य विवासनम् || २-५८-३०
30. raaghavasya = Rama's; vivaasam = exile; viruddham = an illegal decision; samaarabdham = undertaken; buddhi laaghavaat = whether due to levity of judgment; asamiikshhya = or due to lack of reflection; janayishhyati = will raise; samkrosham = intensive anguish.
"Rama's exile, an illegal decision undertaken whether due to levity of judgment or due to lack of reflection, will raise countless protests."
अहम् तावन् महा राजे पितृत्वम् न उपलक्षये |
भ्राता भर्ता च बन्धुः च पिता च मम राघवः || २-५८-३१
31. aham = I; na upalakshhaye = do not see; pitR^itvam = father-hood; mahaaraaja = in the emperor; mama = for me; raaghavaH = Rama; bhraataa ca = is brother; bhartaa ca = lord; bandhuH ca = relative and; pitaa = father.
"I do not consider the emperor as my father. For me, Rama is the brother, lord, relative and my father."
सर्व लोक प्रियम् त्यक्त्वा सर्व लोक हिते रतम् |
सर्व लोको अनुरज्येत कथम् त्वा अनेन कर्मणा || २-५८-३२
32. tyaktvaa = leaving; sarva loka priyam = (Rama) the beloved of all people; ratam = and who is interested; sarva lokahite = in the welfare of all mankind; katham = how would; sarva lokaH = all the people; anurajyeta = be interested; tvam = in you; anena karmaNaa = by this act?
"Leaving Rama the beloved of all people and who is interested in the welfare of all human beings, how would all these people would be interested in you by this act of yours?"
सर्वप्रजाभिरामम् हि रामम् प्रव्राज्य धार्मिकम् |
सर्वलोकम् विरुध्येमम् कथम् राजा भविष्यसि || २-५८-३३
33. pravraajya = by banishing; raamam = Rama; sarvaprajaabhiraamam = who is delightful to entire people; dhaarmikam = and virtuous; virudhya = and opposing; imam sarva lokam = all this entire world; katham = how; bhavishhyasi = will you stay; raajaa = as a king?
"By banishing Rama who is delightful to entire people and who is a virtuous man and by opposing all this entire world, how will you stay as a king?"
जानकी तु महा राज निःश्वसन्ती तपस्विनी |
भूत उपहत चित्ता इव विष्ठिता वृष्मृता स्थिता || २-५८-३४
34. mahaaraaja = "Oh king; tapasvinii = the wise; jaanakii tu = Seetha for her part; niHshvasantii = stood sighing; bhuuta upahata cittaa = with mind like one possessed; vR^iSmR^itaa sthitaa = forgetting her own existence there; viSThitaa = stood motionless.
"Oh, King! The wise Seetha for her part with her mind like one possessed and forgetting her own existence, stood sighing and static.
अदृष्ट पूर्व व्यसना राज पुत्री यशस्विनी |
तेन दुह्खेन रुदती न एव माम् किंचित् अब्रवीत् || २-५८-३५
35. raaja putrii = that princess Seetha; yashasvinii = the illustrious one; adR^iSTa puurva vyasanaa = having not seen such misfortune earlier; na eva abraviit = could not even tell; kimcit = anything; maam = to me; rudatii = weeping (as she was); tena duHkhena = with that unpleasantness.
"The illustrious Seetha having not seen such misfortune earlier, could not even to speak me anything, weeping as she was with that uneasiness."
उद्वीक्षमाणा भर्तारम् मुखेन परिशुष्यता |
मुमोच सहसा बाष्पम् माम् प्रयान्तम् उदीक्ष्य सा || २-५८-३६
36. udiikSya = seeing; maam = me; parishuSyataa = with emaciated; mukhena = face; udviikSamaaNaa = perceiving; bhartaaram = her husband; sahasaa = soon; mumoca = shed down; baaSpam = tears.
"Seeing me going back, Seetha with emaciated face, perceiving her husband, soon shed down tears."
तथैव रामः अश्रु मुखः कृत अन्जलिः |
स्थितः अभवल् लक्ष्मण बाहु पालितः स्थितः |
तथैव सीता रुदती तपस्विनी |
निरीक्षते राज रथम् तथैव माम् || २-५८-३७
37. tathaiva = In the same way; raamaH = Rama; ashru mukhaH = with tears on his face; kR^ita anjaliH = and with joined palms; sthitaH abhaval = stood; lakSmaNa baahu paalitaH = shielded by the arms of Lakshmana; tathaiva = In the same way; tapasvinii = the miserable; siitaa = Seetha; rudatii = weeping; niriikSate = was seeing; raaja ratham = the royal chariot; tathaiva = and; maam = me."
"In the same way, Rama with tears on his face and with joined palms, stood being shielded by the arms of Lakshmana. The miserable Seetha in the same manner was weeping and seeing the royal chariot and me."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे अष्टपञ्चाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
File powered by Go FTP FREE Client