Rama tries to send Lakshmana back to Ayodhya, apprehending trouble for Kousalya and others in the hands of Kaikeyi. Lakshmana however refuses to return to Ayodhya, pleasing his inability to survive in the absence of Rama. Rama thereafter agrees again for Lakshmana's stay in the forest with him.
sa tam vR^ikSham samaasaadya sa.ndhyaam anvaasya pashcimaam |
raamaH ramayataam shreShThaiti ha uvaaca lakShmaNam || 2-53-1
1. raamaH = Rama; shreshhTaH = the foremost; ramayataam = of these affording happiness to others; samasaadya = reached; tam vR^ikshham = the aforesaid tree; anvaasya = worshipped; pashchimaam = the western; sandhyaam = twilight; uvaacha ha = and spoke; iti = thus; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana:
Rama, the foremost of those affording happiness to others, reached the aforesaid tree, worshipped the western twilight and spoke to Lakshmana as follows:
adya iyam prathamaa raatrir yaataa jana padaat bahiH |
yaa sumantreNa rahitaa taam na utkaNThitum arhasi || 2-53-2
2. iyam = "This; raatriH = night; yaa = which; yaatraa = has got past (us); apya = today; bahiH = outside; janapadaat = the inhabited territory; prathamaa = is the first one; rahitaa = without; sumantreNa = Sumantra. naarahasi = You ought not; utkaN^Thitum = repent; taam = over it."
"This might which has got past us today outside the inhabited territory is the first night which has passed without Sumantra. You ought not repent over it."
jaagartavyam atandribhyaam adya prabhR^iti raatriShu |
yoga kShemaH hi siitaayaa vartate lakShmaNa aavayoh || 2-53-3
3. lakshhmaNaH = "Oh; Lakshmana! atandribhyaam = Remaining free from lassitude; jaagartavyam = (we must both) keep awake; raatrishhu = during nights; adya prabhR^iti = from today. yoga kshhemou = The gain and security; siitaayaaH = of Sita; vartate hi = indeed depend; aavayoH = on us two."
"Remaining free from lassitude, we must both keep awake during nights, from today Lakshmana! The safety and welfare of Sita indeed depend on us two."
raatrim katha.ncit eva imaam saumitre vartayaamahe |
upaavartaamahe bhuumaav aastiirya svayam aarjitaiH || 2-53-4
4. vartayaamahe = "Let us pass; imaam raatrim = this night; kathamchideva = any how; soumitre = Lakshmana! upaavartaamahe = Let us lie down; bhuumou = on the ground;aastiirya = covering it; aarjitaiH = (by things ) procured; svayam = by our own(hands)."
"Let us pass this night anyhow, Lakshmana! Let us lie down on the ground, covering it by straw, leaves and so on, procured by our own hands."
sa tu samvishya medinyaam mahaa arha shayana ucitaH |
imaaH saumitraye raamaH vyaajahaara kathaaH shubhaaH || 2-53-5
5. samvishya = Streching himself; madinyaam = on the ground; saH = Rama; mahaarha shayanochitaH = who was accustomed to a luxurious coach; vyaajahaara = uttered; imaaH = these; shubhaaH = suitable; kathaaH = words; soumitraye = to Lakshmana:
Streching himself on the bare ground, Rama, who was accustomed to a luxurious coach, uttered the following suitable words to Lakshmana:
dhruvam adya mahaa raajo duhkham svapiti lakShmaNa |
kR^ita kaamaa tu kaikeyii tuShTaa bhavitum arhati || 2-53-6
6. dhruvam = "assuredly; mahaaraajaH = the emperor; svapiti = is sleeping; duHkham = badly; adya = to-night; kaikeyiitu = while Kaikeyi; kR^takaamaa = having realized her ambitions; arhati = ought; bhavitum = to feel; tushhTaa = satisfied."
"Assuredly the emperor is sleeping badly tonight, while Kaikeyi, having realized her ambitions, ought to feel satisfied."
saa hi devii mahaa raajam kaikeyii raajya kaaraNaat |
api na cyaavayet praaNaan dR^iShTvaa bharatam aagatam || 2-53-7
7. dR^ishhTvaa = "seeing; bharatam = Bharata; aagatam = returned; saa = that; devii = queen; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; na chyaavayedapi = (I am afraid) may not expel; praaNaan = the lives; mahaaraajam = of the emperor; raajya kaaraNaat = hi indeed for the sake of kingdom."
"Seeing Bharata returned, queen Kaikeyi, I am afraid, may not expel the lives of the emperor for the sake of kingdom."
anaathaH caiva vR^iddhaH ca mayaa caiva vinaakR^itaH |
kim kariShyati kaama aatmaa kaikeyyaa vasham aagataH || 2-53-8
8. vR^iddhascha = "aged; anaathashcha = (and therefore) helpless; mayaarinaacha = deprived of my presence; kim karishhyati = what will he do; kR^itaH = dominated as he is; kaamaatmaa = by his passion (for Kaikeyi); aagataH = and who has fallen; kaikeyiivasham = into clutches of Kaikeyi."
"Aged and (therefore) helpless, deprived of my presence, what will he do, dominated as he is by his passion for Kaikeyi and who has fallen into the clutches of Kaikeyi."
idam vyasanam aalokya raaGYaH ca mati vibhramam |
kaamaeva ardha dharmaabhyaam gariiyaan iti me matiH || 2-53-9
9. aalokya = "reflecting on; idam = this; vyasanam = misfortune; raaG^yaH = of the king; mativibhramamcha = and his mental derangement; me = my; matiH = belief; iti = (is) that; kaama eva = passion alone; gariiyaan = is stronger; artha dharmaabhyaam = than earthly gain and religious merit."
"Reflecting on this misfortune of the king and his mental derangement, I deem that passion alone is greater than early gain and religious merit."
ko hi avidvaan api pumaan pramadaayaaH kR^ite tyajet |
chanda anuvartinam putram taataH maam iva lakShmaNa || 2-53-10
10. kaH pumaan = "what man; avidyaanapi = however deluded; tataH = (what) father; pramadaayaaH kR^ite = on account of a woman; chandaamvartinam = at his own will and pleasure; tyajet = abandon; putram = a son; maamiva = like myself?"
"what man however deluded, what father on account of a woman, at his own will and pleasure, abandon a son like myself?
sukhii bata sabhaaryaH ca bharataH kekayii sutaH |
muditaan kosalaan eko yo bhokShyati adhiraajavat || 2-53-11
11. bataH = "Alas; kaikeyiisutaH = Kaikeyi's son; bharataH = Bharata; ekaH = alone; sukhii = is happy; sa bhaaryaH = along with his wife; yaH = who; adhiraajavat = like an overlord; bhokshhyati = will enjoy; muditaan = the prosperous; kosalaan = kingdom of Kosala."
"Alas, Kaikeyi's son Bharata (alone) is happy along with his wife. Like an overlord, he is going to enjoy the prosperous kingdom of Kosala."
sa hi sarvasya raajyasya mukham ekam bhaviShyati |
taate ca vayasaa atiite mayi ca araNyam aashrite || 2-53-12
12. taate = "father; vayasaa atiite = is superannuated. Mayicha = I; aasthite = am staying; areNyam = in the forest. saH = Bharata; bhavishhyanti = will become; ekam = the prime; mukham = head; sarvasya = for the entire; raajyasya = kingdom."
"Father is superannuated. I am staying in the forest. Bharata will become the prime head for the entire kingdom."
artha dharmau parityajya yaH kaamam anuvartate |
evam aapadyate kShipram raajaa dasharatho yathaa || 2-53-13
13. yaH = "he who; anuvartate = persues; kaamam = sensuous pleasures; parityajya = neglecting; artha dharmou = his real interests and discipline; kshhipram = soon; aapadyate = comes to distress; evam = in the same way; raaja dasharatho yathaa = as king Dasaratha has."
"He who pursues sensuous pleasures neglecting his real interests and discipline soon comes to distress; in the same way as king Dasaratha has."
manye dasharatha antaaya mama pravraajanaaya ca |
kaikeyii saumya sampraaptaa raajyaaya bharatasya ca || 2-53-14
14. soumya = "Oh;good brother; manye = I think; kaikeyii- = that Kaikeyi; sampraaptaa = came (into our house); dasharathaantaaya = to bring about an end to Dasaratha; mama pravraajanaayacha = to send me into exile; raajyaayacha = (and to secure) kingship; bharatasya = for Bharata."
"It seems that Kaikeyi came into our house, oh good brother, to bring about an end to Dasaratha, to send me into exile and to secure kingship for Bharata."
api idaaniim na kaikeyii saubhaagya mada mohitaa |
kausalyaam ca sumitraam ca samprabaadheta mat kR^ite || 2-53-15
15. soubhaagya mada mohitaa = "blinded by pride of good fortune; kaikeyii = will Kaikeyi; api idaaniim = even now; na samprabaadheta = not persecute; kausalyaamcha = and Sumitra; matkR^ite = because of their relationship with me."
"Blinded by pride of good fortune, Kaikeyi may even now persecute Kausalya and Sumitra because of their relationship with me."
maa sma mat kaaraNaat devii sumitraa duhkham aavaset |
ayodhyaam itaeva tvam kaale pravisha lakShmaNa || 2-53-16
16. devii = "queen; sumitraa = Sumitra; maa aavaset sma = will she not dwell; duHkham = with hardship; matkaaraNaat = because of her affinity to me? tvam = You; pravisha = enter; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; ita eva = from this very place; kaalye = next morning; lakshhmaNa = oh; Lakshmana!"
"Queen Sumitra is likely to suffer hardship because of her affinity to us. From this very place, you proceed to Ayodhya next morning, oh, Lakshmana!"
aham eko gamiShyaami siitayaa saha daNDakaan |
anaathaayaa hi naathaH tvam kausalyaayaa bhaviShyasi || 2-53-17
17. aham = "I; ekaH = alone; gamishhyaami = will go; siitayaa saha = along with Sita; daNdakaan = to Dandaka forest. tvam = You; bhavishhyasi = become; naathaH = protector; kausalyaa = to Kausalya; anaathaayaaH = the supportless."
"I shall proceed to Dandaka forest alone with Sita, while you will be the protector for Kausalya, who has no defender."
kShudra karmaa hi kaikeyii dveShaat anyaayyam aacaret |
paridadyaa hi dharmaGYe bharate mama maataram || 2-53-18
18. kaikeyii = "Kaikeyi; kshhudra karmaa = of base deeds; aacharet = may resort to; anyaayyam = unjustified means; dveshhyam = to be disliked. paridadyaHhi = Give(for protection); mama = my; maataram = mother; bharate = to Bharata; dharmaG^ye = oh; virtuous prince!"
"Kaikeyi of base deeds may resort to unjustified means to be disliked. Give (for protection) my mother to Bharata, oh virtuous Prince!"
nuunam jaati antare kasmi.ns striyaH putraiH viyojitaaH |
jananyaa mama saumitre tat api etat upasthitam || 2-53-19
19. kasmin jaatyantare = "In some other birth; soumitre = Oh; Lakshmana; striyaH = women; viyojitaaH = must have been deprived; putraiH = of their sons; mama jananyaa = by my mother. Tasmaat = For that reason; etat = this upasthitam = has arisen; nuunam = certainly."
"In some other (past) birth, women must have been deprived of their sons by my mother (Kausalya), oh, Lakshmana! For that reason this has arisen certainly."
mayaa hi cira puShTena duhkha samvardhitena ca |
vipraayujyata kausalyaa phala kaale dhig astu maam || 2-53-20
20. phala kale = "At a time when benefit is to be obtained; mayaa = by me; kausalyaa = Kausalya; vipraayujyata = has been deprived of my company by me; chirapushhTena = who was nurtured up with great pains; astu = Let it be; dhik = woe; maam = to me."
"At a time when Kausalya should have obtained benefits for her labors repaid by me, she has been deprived of my company by me, who was nurtured by her for a long time and brought up with great pains. Woe to me."
maa sma siimantinii kaacij janayet putram iidR^isham |
saumitre yo aham ambaayaa dadmi shokam anantakam || 2-53-21
21. maasma kaachit siimantinii = "Let no woman ever; janayet = give birth; iidR^isham = to such; putram = a son; yaH = as; aham = myself; dadmii = who has given; ananthakam = endless; shokam = sorrow; ambaayaaH = to my mother; soumitre = oh; Lakshmana!"
"Let no woman ever give birth to such a son as myself, who have caused perpetual grief to my mother, oh, Lakshmana!"
manye priiti vishiShTaa saa mattaH lakShmaNa saarikaa |
yasyaaH tat shruuyate vaakyam shuka paadam arer dasha || 2-53-22
22. manye = "I think; saa shaarikaa = that myna (which is kept as a pet by mother Kausalya); priitivishishhTaa = is more affectionate; mattaH = than I; yasyaaH = (since)her; shruuyate = are heard; tat vaakyam = the words; dasha = "Bite ; shuka = oh; parrot; paadam = the foot; areH = of the enemy'; lakshhmaNa = oh; Lakshmana!"
"Oh, Lakshmana! I think that myna (which is kept as a pet by mother Kausalya) is more affectionate than I, since her are heard the words, "Bite, oh parrot, the foot of the enemy."
shocantyaaH ca alpa bhaagyaayaa na ki.ncit upakurvataa |
purtreNa kim aputraayaa mayaa kaaryam arim dama || 2-53-23
23. kim = "what; kaaryam = can be done; mayaa = by me; putreNa = her son; nopakurvataa = who cannot go to her aid; kamchit = even a little(to her); shochantyaaH = who is weeping; alpa bhaagyaayaaH = who is unfortunate; aputraayaaH = and who has no son; arindama = oh; conqueror of foes!"
"What can be done by me, her son, who cannot go to her aid even a little to her, my mother, who is weeping, who is unfortunate and who has no son, oh conqueror of foes?"
alpa bhaagyaa hi me maataa kausalyaa rahitaa mayaa |
shete parama duhkha aartaa patitaa shoka saagare || 2-53-24
24. kausalyaa = "Kausalya; me maataa = my mother; alpabhaagyaa hi = of poor luck indeed; rahitaa = bereft; mayaa = of me; parama duhkhaartaaH = is stricken with great melancholy; shate = and lies; patitaa = fallen; shoka saagare = in a sea of grief."
"Kausalya my mother of poor luck indeed, bereft of me, is stricken with great melancholy and lies plunged in a sea of grief"
eko hi aham ayodhyaam ca pR^ithiviim ca api lakShmaNa |
tareyam iShubhiH kruddho nanu viiryam akaaraNam || 2-53-25
25. kruddhaH = "Enraged; aham = I; tareyam = can subdue; ishhubhiH = with my arrows; ekaH = single-handed; ayodhyaamcha = not only Ayodhya; pR^ithiviimchaapi = but also earth; lakshhmaNa = oh Lakshmana! viiryam = Valor; akaaraNam nam = is not the cause; not at all"
"Enraged, I can subdue with my arrows single handed not only Ayodhya but also the earth. But it is not a question of valor here."
adharma bhaya bhiitaH ca para lokasya ca anagha |
tena lakShmaNa na adya aham aatmaanam abhiShecaye || 2-53-26
26. anagha = "Oh; the sinless Lakshmana! aham = I; adharma bhaya bhiitashcha = am terribly concerned of doing wrong; paralokasyacha = and(of ruining my prospects) in the other world. tena = For that reason; aatmaanam = I do not allow myself; naabhishhechaye = to be crowned"
"Oh, the sinless Lakshmana! I am terribly concerned of doing wrong and of ruining my prospects in the other world. Hence, I do not allow myself to be crowned."
etat anyac ca karuNam vilapya vijane bahu |
ashru puurNa mukho raamaH nishi tuuShNiim upaavishat || 2-53-27
27. raamaH = Rama; nishi = during the night; vijane = in the lonely forest; vilapya = wailed; karuNam = piteously; etat = thus; anyashcha = and in other ways; upaavishat = sat; tushhN^iim = quite; ashrupuurNa mukhaH = his face full of tears.
Rama during the night in that lonely forest, wailed piteously thus and in so many other ways and sat quite, his face full of tears.
vilapya uparatam raamam gata arciSham iva analam |
samudram iva nirvegam aashvaasayata lakShmaNaH || 2-53-28
28. kajShmaNaH = Lakshmana; aashvaasayata = consoled; raamam = Rama (as follows); uparatam = when the latter had ceased lamenting; analam iva = like a fire; gataarchiSam = whose flames had gone out; samudramiva = and as a sea; nirvegam = without a violent motion.
Lakshmana consoled Rama as follows when the later had ceased lamenting like a fire whose flames had gone out and as a sea without a violent motion.
dhruvam adya purii raamaayodhyaa yudhinaam vara |
niShprabhaa tvayi niShkraante gata candraa iva sharvarii || 2-53-29
29. ayodhyaa purii = "the city of Ayodhya; adya = now; tvayi = you; nishhkraante = have come away from it; dhruvam = has certainly; nishhprabhaa = been divested of its splendor; sharvariiva = and resembles a night; gatachandraa = without the moon; raajan = Oh; king; vara = the jewel; aayudhinaam = among armed warriors!"
"The city of Ayodhya, now that you have come away from it, has certainly been divested of its splendor and resembles a night without the moon, Oh, Rama the jewel among armed warriors!"
na etat aupayikam raama yad idam paritapyase |
viShaadayasi siitaam ca maam caiva puruSha R^iShabha || 2-53-30
30. etat = "this; na = is not; oupayikam = proper; raama = oh Rama; yat paritapyate = that you should grieve; idam = in the manner. vishhaadayasi = You cause distress; siitamcha = to Sita; maamchaiva = and me too; purushharshhabha = oh jewel among men!"
"It is not proper, oh Rama, that you should grieve in this way. You cause distress to Sita and me too, oh jewel among men!"
na ca siitaa tvayaa hiinaa na ca aham api raaghava |
muhuurtam api jiivaavo jalaan matsyaav iva uddhR^itau || 2-53-31
31. raaghava = "Oh; Rama! hiinaa = Bereft; tvayaa = of you; siitaa = Sita; na = will not survive. ahamapi = I also; na jiivaavaH = We shall not survive; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment; matsyaaviva = like fishes; uddhR^iton = pulled out of water."
"Oh, Rama! Bereft of you , neither Sita nor I will not survive even for a moment, like fish pulled out of water."
na hi taatam na shatrughnam na sumitraam param tapa |
draShTum iccheyam adya aham svargam vaa api tvayaa vinaa || 2-53-32
32. paramtapa = "Oh; Rama causing pain to the foes! Tvayaa vinaa = without you; aham = I; na hi ichchheyam = do not wish; drashhTum = to see either; taatam = our father; na = nor; shatrughnam = Satrughna; sumitraam = Sumitra; svargamvaapi = nor even heaven."
"Oh, Rama causing pain to the foes! Without you, I do not wish to see either our father or Satrughna or Sumitra or even the heaven."
tatastatra sukhaasiine naatiduure niriikshya taam |
nyagrodhe sukR^itaam shayyaam bhejaate dharmavatsalau || 2-53-33
33. tataH = then; dharmavatsalou = Rama and Lakshmana; the lovers of piety; sukhasiinou = sitting comfortably; tatra = there; niriikshhya = (and) seeing; taam shayyaam = that bed; sukR^itaam = well arranged; nyagrodha = under a banyan tree; bhejate = sought (for the bed)."
Then Rama and Lakshmana the lovers of piety, sitting comfortably there and on seeing a bed well- prepared under a banyan tree, sought for the bed.
sa lakShmaNasya uttama puShkalam vaco |
nishamya ca evam vana vaasam aadaraat |
samaaH samastaa vidadhe param tapaH |
prapadya dharmam suciraaya raaghavaH || 2-53-34
34. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; paramtapaH = the terminator of foes; aadaraat = attentively; nishamya = hearing; lakshhmaNasya = Lakshmana's; vachaH = words; uttama pushhkalam = which were excellent and holistic; prapadya = and adopting; suchiraaya = for a fairly long period; dharmam = the course of conduct prescribed for hermits; vidadhe = resolved; samastaaH = (to stand) all; samaaH = the years; vanavaasam = in exile(with Lakshmana).
Attentively hearing Lakshmana's words which were excellent and wholistic and adopting for a fairly long period the course of conduct prescribed for hermits, Rama resolved to spend all the fourteen years in exile with Lakshmana.
tatastu tasmin vijane vane tadaa |
mahaabalau raaghavava.nshavardhanau |
na tau bhayam sambhramamabhyupeyatu |
ryathaiva simhau girisaanugocharau || 2-53-35
35. tataH tadaa = thence forward; tasmin vane = in that forest; vijane = which was lonely; tou = those; mahaabalou raaghava vamsha vardhanon = (two) powerful offspring of the Raghu race; na abhyupeyatuH = did not admit; bhayam = fear; sambhramam = or agitation; simhou yathaiva = like unto two lions; girisaanu gocharon = dwelling on the slopes of a mountain.
Thence forward, those two powerful offspring of the Raghu race (Rama and Lakshmana) never admitted fear or agitation (while dwelling) in that vast and lonely forest any more than a couple of lions on the slopes of a mountain.
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye ayodhya kaaNDe tripaJNchashaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Nov 2002, K. M. K. Murthy