As per instructions of Rama, Guha gets a boat ready. Sumantra requests Rama to take him as a personal attendant to the forest, but Rama declines his offer and after reasoning with him, sends him back to Ayodhya. Rama and Lakshmana matted their hair with the latex of a banyan tree procured by Guha. On reaching the middle of the stream, Sita offers prayers to Mother Ganga (the deity presiding over the stream) and after crossing the river, all the three halt for the night at the foot of a tree.
प्रभातायाम् तु शर्वर्याम् पृथु वृक्षा महा यशाः |
उवाच रामः सौमित्रिम् लक्ष्मणम् शुभ लक्षणम् || २-५२-१
1. sharvaryaam = night; prabhataayaamtu = having given way to dawn; raamaH = Rama; pR^ithuvakshhaaH = the man with a broad chest; mahaayashaaH = (and) the illustrious; uvaacha = said; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana; soumitrim = the son of Sumitra; shubhalakshhaNam = endowed with auspicious signs.
That night having given way to dawn, the illustrious Rama with a broad chest spoke (as follows) to Lakshmana, the son of Sumitra and who was endowed with auspicious signs :
भास्कर उदय कालो अयम् गता भगवती निशा |
असौ सुकृष्णो विहगः कोकिलः तात कूजति || २-५२-२
2. taata = "Oh; dear brother. ayam = This; bhaaskarodaya kaalaH = is the hour of sunrise. bhagavatii = The auspicious; nishaa = night; gataa = has departed. vihagaH = That bird; sukR^ishhNaH = of dark plumage; asou kokilaH = the cuckoo; kuujati = is singing".
"Oh, dear brother! This is the hour of sunrise. The auspicious night has departed. That bird of dark plumage, the cuckoo, is singing."
बर्हिणानाम् च निर्घोषः श्रूयते नदताम् वने |
तराम जाह्नवीम् सौम्य शीघ्रगाम् सागरम् गमाम् || २-५२-३
3. nirghoshhaH = the cries; barhiNaanaam = of peacocks; nadataam = resounding; vane = in the forest; shruuyate = are being heard. soumya = Oh; good brother! taraama = (let us) cross; shiighragaam = the swift-flowing; jaahnaviim** = Ganga river; saagaram gamaam = that gushes to the sea."
"Oh, good brother! Hear the cries of peacocks resounding in the forest. Let us cross the swift-flowing Ganga River that gushes to the sea."
--***-The river Ganga, when brought down from heaven by the austerities of Emperor Bhagiratha, followed the latter to the subterranean regions in order to consecrate the remains of his great grand uncles. In its course, it inundated the sacrificial ground of king Jahnu, who in his anger, drank up its waters. But the gods and sages and particularly Bhagiratha appeased his anger and he consented to release the waters through his ears. The river is thereafter regarded as his daughter.
विज्ञाय रामस्य वचः सौमित्रिर् मित्र नन्दनः |
गुहम् आमन्त्र्य सूतम् च सो अतिष्ठद् भ्रातुर् अग्रतः || २-५२-४
4. saH soumitriH = that Lakshmana; mitranandanaH = who makes his friends happy; viG^yaaya = having understood; vachaH = the words; raamasya = of Rama; aamantrya = called; guham = Guha; suutamcha = and Sumantra; atishhTat = and stood; agrataH = in front; bhraatuH = of his brother.
Lakshmana, the delight of his friends, having understood the words of Rama, called Guha as well as Sumantra and stood in front of his brother.
स तु रामस्य वचनम् निशम्य प्रतिगृह्य च |
स्थपतिस्तूर्णमाहुय सचिवानिदमब्रवीत् || २-५२-५
5. nishamya = hearing; vachanam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; saH sthapatiH = that Guha; tuurNam = quickly; pratigR^ihyacha = received them; aahuuya = invited; sachivaan = his ministers; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these words:
Hearing the command of Rama, Guha quickly received it, invited his ministers and spoke to them as follows:
अस्य वाहनसम्युक्ताम् कर्णग्राहवतीम् शुभाम् |
सुप्रताराम् दृढाम् तीर्खे शीग्रम् नावमुपाहर || २-५२-६
6. asya = for the sake of Rama; shiighram = quickly; upaahara = bring; tiirthe = to the landing place; naavam = a boat; vaahana samyuktaam = accompanied by a boatman; karNagraahavatiim = and having a helmsman in it; shubhaam = beautiful; suprataaraam = which can easily ferry across; dR^iDhaam = and solidly constructed.
"Let a beautiful boat that is solidly constructed, sails well and a helmsman in it, be brought to the bank to carry this hero across!"
तम् निशम्य समादेशम् गुहामात्यगणो महान् |
उपोह्य रुचिराम् नावम् गुहाय प्रत्यवेदयत् || २-५२-७
7. nishamya = hearing; tam = that; samaadesham = command; mahaan guhaamaatya gaNaH = the chief minister of Guha; upohya = brought; ruchiraam = a charming; naavam = boat; pratyavedayat = ( and) reported the matter; guhaaya = to Guha.
Hearing that command, the chief minister of King Guha brought a charming boat to the bank and reported the matter to Guha.
ततः सप्राञ्जलिर्भूत्वा गुहो राघवमब्रवीत् |
उपस्थितेयम् नौर्देव भूयः किम् करवाणि ते || २-५२-८
8. tataH = then; guhaH = Guha; bhuutvaa = became; praaNjaliH = one with folded hands; abraviit = and spoke; raaghavam = to Rama: devaH = "Oh; Lord! ; iyam = This; nouH = boat; upasthitaa = has arrived; kim = what; bhuuyaH = more; karavaaNi = can I do; te = for you"
Then, Guha with folded hands spoke to Rama as follows: "Oh, Lord! Here, the boat has arrived. What more can I do for you?"
तवामरसुतप्रख्य तर्तुम् सागरगाम् नदीम् |
नौरियम् पुरुषव्याग्र! ताम् त्वमारोह सुव्रत! || २-५२-९
9. purushha vyaaghra = Oh; tiger among men! amarasuta prakhya = Oh; Rama resembling a son of divinity! iyam = This; nouH = is the boat; tava = for you; tartum = to cross; nadiim = the river; saagaragaam = which flows into the sea. suvrata = Oh; virtuous one! tvam = You; aaroha = ascend; taam = it.
"Oh, tiger among men! Oh, Rama resembling a son of divinity! Here is the boat for you to cross the river, which flows into the sea. Oh, virtuous one! (Pray) get into it."
अथोवाच महातेजा रामो गुहमिदम् वचः |
कृतकामोऽस्मि भवता शीघ्रमारोप्यतामिति || २-५२-१०
10. atha = then; raamaH = Rama; mahaa tejaaH = with great splendor; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these; vachaH = words; guham = to Guha; iti = thus; asmi = "I became; kR^ita kaamaH = one whose desire has been accomplished; bhavataa = by you. aaropyataam = Let us embark shiighram = with speed".
Then, Rama with great splendor, spoke to Guha as follows: "My desire has been accomplished by you. Let us embark with all speed."
ततः कलापान् सम्नह्य खड्गौ बद्ध्वा च धन्विनौ |
जग्मतुर् येन तौ गन्गाम् सीतया सह राघवौ || २-५२-११
11. tataH = then; tou raaghavou = both Rama and Lakshmana; siitayaasaha = along with Sita;samnahya = having put on; kalaapaan = quivers with arrows; baddhvaa = having fastened; khaDgoucha = the swords too; dhanvinou = and holding their bows; jagmatuH = went; yena = in which way; gaN^gaam = Ganga is situated.
Having equipped themselves with a quiver each with arrows, fastening their swords and armed with their bows, Rama and Lakshmana, with Sita, proceeded towards the river of Ganga.
रामम् एव तु धर्मज्ञम् उपगम्य विनीतवत् |
किम् अहम् करवाणि इति सूतः प्रान्जलिर् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-१२
12. suutaH = Sumantra; praaN^jaliH = joining his palms; viniitavat = in humility; upagamya = approached; raamameva tu = only Rama; dharmaG^yam = who knew what is right; abraviit = and spoke; iti = thus: kim = :What aham = I; karavaaNi = shall do?"
Sumantra joining his palms in humility, approached Rama who knew what is right and said, "What shall I do?"
ततोऽब्रवीद्दाशरथिः सुमन्त्रम् |
स्पृशन् करेणोत्तमदक्षिणेन |
सुमन्त्र शीघ्रम् पुनरेव याहि |
राज्ञः सकाशे भवचाप्रमत्तः || २-५२-१३
13. daasharathiH = Rama; tataH = then; spR^ishan = touching; sumantram = Sumantra; uttama dakshhiNena = with his auspicious right; kareNa = hand; abraviit = (and) said: sumantra = "Oh; Sumantra! yaahi punareva = Return; shiighram = quickly; raaG^yaH = to king's; sakaashe = presence; bhava = (and) be; apramattaHcha = attentive."
Touching Sumantra with his auspicious right hand, Rama then said: "Oh, Sumantra! Return quickly to the king's presence and be attentive in serving him."
निवर्तस्व इति उवाच एनम् एतावद्द् हि कृतम् मम |
रथम् विहाय पद्भ्याम् तु गमिष्यामि महावनम् || २-५२-१४
14. etaavat = "this much service; kR^itamhi = has been done indeed; mama = to me. nivartasya = Return. gamishhyaami = I shall go; padbhyaam = on foot; mahaavanam = to the great forest; vihaaya = abandoning; ratham = the chariot. uvaacha = (he) spoke;iti = thus.
"Go now, that your service to me has been completed. Abandoning the chariot, I shall go on foot to the mighty forest," Rama said.
आत्मानम् तु अभ्यनुज्ञातम् अवेक्ष्य आर्तः स सारथिः |
सुमन्त्रः पुरुष व्याघ्रम् ऐक्ष्वाकम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-१५
15. aavekshhya = seeing; aatmaanam = himself; abhyanuG^yaatam = dismissed; saH sumantraH = that Sumantra; saarathiH = was distressed; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these words; aikshhvaakam = to Rama; purushavyaaghram = the tiger among men.
Finding himself dismissed, Sumantra the charioteer was distressed and spoke to Rama, the tiger among men, as follows:
न अतिक्रान्तम् इदम् लोके पुरुषेण इह केनचित् |
तव सभ्रातृ भार्यस्य वासः प्राकृतवद् वने || २-५२-१६
16. vaasaH = dwelling; vane = in the forest; praakR^itavat = like a common man; tava = (has come) to you; sa bhraatR^I bhaaryasya = with your brother and your consort. idam = This; naatikraantam = has never been set aside; kenachit purushheNa = by any man; iha loke = in the world.
"None in the world has had to suffer such a fate as yourself; that you should have to dwell in the forest with your brother and your consort as if you were an ordinary man!"
न मन्ये ब्रह्म चर्ये अस्ति स्वधीते वा फल उदयः |
मार्दव आर्जवयोः वा अपि त्वाम् चेद् व्यसनम् आगतम् || २-५२-१७
17. manye = I think; naasti = there is no; phalodayaH = reward; brahmacharye = in leading a life of religious student; svadhiite vaa = or in studying scriptures; maardavaarjavayorvaapi = or even in cultivating tenderness and strait forwardness; vyasanam chet = (when) adversity; aagatam = has come; tvaam = to you."
"I think that there is no reward in leading a life of religious student or in studying religious scriptures or even in cultivating tenderness and straight forwardness, when adversity has come to you."
सह राघव वैदेह्या भ्रात्रा चैव वने वसन् |
त्वम् गतिम् प्राप्स्यसे वीर त्रीम्ल् लोकांस् तु जयन्न् इव || २-५२-१८
18. viira = "Oh; heroic; raaghava = Rama! vasan = Residing; vane = in the forest; vaidehyaa saha = along with Sita; bhraatraachaiva = and your brother; tvam = you; praapsyase = will obtain; gatim = the same position; jayanniva = as one who has conquered; triin = the three; lokaan = worlds"
"Oh, heroic Rama! Living in the forest along with Sita and your brother, you will obtain the same position as one who has conquered the three worlds."
वयम् खलु हता राम ये तया अपि उपवन्चिताः |
कैकेय्या वशम् एष्यामः पापाया दुह्ख भागिनः || २-५२-१९
19. raama = "Oh; Rama! vayam = We; hataaH khalu = are actually ruined; yena = because; upavaNchitaaH = disappointed in our hopes; tvayaapi = by you too; eshhyaamaH = we shall fall; vasham = under the sway; kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi; paapaayaaH = of sinful nature; duHkha bhaaginaH = and reap suffering".
"Oh, Rama! We are actually ruined, in that, disappointed in our hopes by you too, we shall fall under the sway of Kaikeyi the sinful woman and reap the suffering."
इति ब्रुवन्न् आत्म समम् सुमन्त्रः सारथिस् तदा |
दृष्ट्वा दुर गतम् रामम् दुह्ख आर्तः रुरुदे चिरम् || २-५२-२०
20. tadaa = then; sumantraH = Sumantra; saarathiH = the charioteer; iti = thus; bruvan = speaking; rurude = wept; chiram = long; duhkhaartaaH = stricken with grief; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; raamam = Rama; aatmasamam = equal to his soul; duuragatam = gone to a distance.
Sumantra the charioteer thus speaking, wept for a long time, stricken with grief, seeing Rama, equal to his soul, departing to a distance.
ततः तु विगते बाष्पे सूतम् स्पृष्ट उदकम् शुचिम् |
रामः तु मधुरम् वाक्यम् पुनः पुनर् उवाच तम् || २-५२-२१
21. tataH = thereafter; raamastu = Rama; punaH punuH = again and again; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam(these) words; madhuram = which were sweet; tam suutam = to that charioteer; baashhpe = (whose) tears; vigate = had gone away; spR^ishhTodokam = who had sipped some water; shuchim = and got purified.
Then, Rama again and again spoke these sweet words as follows to that charioteer, whose tears got dried up and who had sipped some water and got himself purified:
इक्ष्वाकूणाम् त्वया तुल्यम् सुहृदम् न उपलक्षये |
यथा दशरथो राजा माम् न शोचेत् तथा कुरु || २-५२-२२
22. nopalakshhaye = "I do not see; suhrudam = a friend; tulyam = equal; tvayaa = to you; ikshhvaakuuNaam = for the kings of Ikshvaku dynasty. kuru = Act; tathaa = in such a way; yathaa = as; raajaa = king; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; na shochet = may not lament; maam = about me."
"I do not see any one who is as great a friend of the Ikshvakus as you are. (Pray) act in such a way that king Dasaratha may not lament about me"
शोक उपहत चेताः च वृद्धः च जगती पतिः |
काम भार अवसन्नः च तस्मात् एतत् ब्रवीमि ते || २-५२-२३
23. jagatiipatiH = the king; shokopahata chetaashcha = his mind afflicted with grief; vR^iddhashcha = is aged as well. Kaamabhaaraavasannashcha = (He is) pressed down by a burden of passion. tasmaat = for that reason; braviimi = I tell; etat = this; te = to you.
"The king, his mind afflicted with grief, is aged as well. He is pressed down by a burden of passion. Hence, I tell you this."
यद् यद् आज्ञापयेत् किंचित् स महात्मा मही पतिः |
कैकेय्याः प्रिय काम अर्थम् कार्यम् तत् अविकान्क्षया || २-५२-२४
24. yadyat = what so ever; kimchit = some act; saH = that; mahaatmaa = high-soled; mahiipatiH = emperor; aaG^yaapayet = may enjoin; priya kaamaartham = with intent to oblige the desire; kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi; tat = that; kaaryam = is to be done; avikaaNkshhayaa = un hesitatingly."
"What so ever act that high-soled emperor may enjoin you to do, with intent to oblige the desire of Kaikeyi, it is to be done unhesitatingly."
एतत् अर्थम् हि राज्यानि प्रशासति नर ईश्वराः |
यद् एषाम् सर्व कृत्येषु मनो न प्रतिहन्यते || २-५२-२५
25. nareshvaraaH = "the kings; prashaasatihi = indeed rule; raajyaaani = the states; etadartham = with this end in view; manaH = that their will; yat na pratihanyate = may not be frustrated; sarva kR^ityeshhu = in all their undertakings."
"The kings indeed rule the states with this end in view that their will may not be frustrated in any undertaking."
यद्यथा स महा राजो न अलीकम् अधिगच्चति |
न च ताम्यति दुह्खेन सुमन्त्र कुरु तत् तथा || २-५२-२६
26. sumantra = " Oh; Sumantra! kuru = Carry out; tathaa = in such a way; tat = that; saH mahaaraajaH = the said emperor; yathaa = in which way; yat = whatever; na adhigachchhati = may not find it; aLiikam = as anything unpleasing; na cha taamyati = nor gets distressed; duHkhena = by grief."
"Oh, Sumantra! Carry out everything in such a way that the said emperor neither finds it unpleasing nor gets tormented by grief."
अदृष्ट दुह्खम् राजानम् वृद्धम् आर्यम् जित इन्द्रियम् |
ब्रूयाः त्वम् अभिवाद्य एव मम हेतोर् इदम् वचः || २-५२-२७
27. abhivaadyaiva = "only after doing respectful salutation; raajaanaaam = to the king; vR^iddham = who is old; aaryam = (and) venerable; adR^ishhTa duHkham = who has never known suffering; jiteN^driyam = and who has subdued his senses; tvam = you; bruuyaaH = tell; idam = these; vachaH = words; mama hetoH = on my behalf."
"Only after performing respectful salutation to the old and venerable king, who has never known suffering and who has subdued his senses, you tell these words to him on my behalf."
न एव अहम् अनुशोचामि लक्ष्मणो न च मैथिली |
अयोध्यायाः च्युताः च इति वने वत्स्यामह इति वा (महेति!)|| २-५२-२८
28. naiva = "Indeed neither; aham = I; na = nor; lakshmaNaH maithiliicha = Lakshmana and Sita; anushochaami = grieve; chyutaashcheti = for having moved; ayodhyaayaaH = from Ayodhya; vatsyaamaheticha = or that we are going to dwell; vane = in a forest."
"Indeed neither I nor Lakshmana and Sita grieve for having moved from Ayodhya or that we are going to dwell in a forest."
चतुर् दशसु वर्षेषु निवृत्तेषु पुनः पुनः |
लक्ष्मणम् माम् च सीताम् च द्रक्ष्यसि क्षिप्रम् आगतान् || २-५२-२९
29. nivR^itteshhu = after completing; chaturdashasu = fourteen; varshheshhu = years; drakshhyasi = you will see; punaH punaH = once again; lakshhmaNam = Lakshmana; maam cha = myself; siitaam cha = and Sita too; aagataan = returned; kshhipram = quickly."
"After completing fourteen years, you will once more see Lakshmana, myself and Sita too returned apace from the forest."
एवम् उक्त्वा तु राजानम् मातरम् च सुमन्त्र मे |
अन्याः च देवीः सहिताः कैकेयीम् च पुनः पुनः || २-५२-३०
आरोग्यम् ब्रूहि कौसल्याम् अथ पाद अभिवन्दनम् |
सीताया मम च आर्यस्य वचनाल् लक्ष्मणस्य च || २-५२-३१
30;31. sumantra = "Oh; Sumantra! evam = this is; uktvaa = what should you say; raajaanam = to the king; me mataram cha = and my mother; sahitaaH = all; anyaaH = other; deviishcha = queens; kaikeyiim cha = and Kaikeyi. bruuhi = tell; kousalyaam = Kousalya; aarogyam = (about my)health; punaH punaH = again and again; atha = and thereafter; paadaabhivandanam = salutations at her feet; siitaayaaH = (on behalf of) Sita; mama cha = as well as myself; vachanaat = the words; lakshhmaNasyacha = of Lakshmana; aaryasya = the faithful man."
"Oh,Sumantra! This is what you should say to the king, my mother, all other queens and Kaikeyi. Tell Kausalya again and again that I am keeping good health. Thereafter, convey salutations at her feet on behalf of Sita as well as myself and Lakshmana the faithful man."
ब्रूयाः च हि महा राजम् भरतम् क्षिप्रम् आनय |
आगतः च अपि भरतः स्थाप्यो नृप मते पदे || २-५२-३२
32. bruuyaaH = "Tell (our salutations); mahaarajaamcha = to the emperor also. anaya = Bring; bharatam = Bharata; kshhipram = quickly. aagashchaapi = after his arrival; bharataH = Bharata; sthaapya = may be installed; pade = in the position; nR^ipa mate = as desired by the king."
"Tell our salutations to the emperor too. Bring Bharata quickly. After his arrival, Bharata may be installed in the position, as desired by the king."
भरतम् च परिष्वज्य यौवराज्ये अभिषिच्य च |
अस्मत् सम्तापजम् दुह्खम् न त्वाम् अभिभविष्यति || २-५२-३३
33. parishhvajya = "when you embraced; bharatam = Bharata; abhishhichya cha = and installed him; youva raajye = in the office of the Prince Regent; duHkham = the agony;asmatsamtaapajam = caused by the remorse felt by you on our account; na abhibhavishhyati = will not overpower; tvaam = you."
"When you embrace Bharata and install him in the office of the Prince Regent, the agony caused by the repentance felt by you on our account will not overpower you."
भरतः च अपि वक्तव्यो यथा राजनि वर्तसे |
तथा मातृषु वर्तेथाः सर्वास्व् एव अविशेषतः || २-५२-३४
34. bharatasyaapi = "Bharata also; vaktavyaH = is to be told (thus): vartethaaH = "Treat; avisheshhataH = without distinction; sarvaasveva = all; maatR^ishhu = your mothers; tathaa = with the same regard; yathaa = as; vartase = (you) behave; raajani = towards the king."
"Bharata too is to be told thus: "Treat without distinction all your mothers with the same regard as you behave towards the king."
यथा च तव कैकेयी सुमित्रा च अविशेषतः |
तथैव देवी कौसल्या मम माता विशेषतः || २-५२-३५
35. yathaacha = as is; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; tava = to you; tathaiva = so let it be; sumitraacha = for Sumitra; visheshhataH = more so; devii = (and) the divine kausalyaa = Kausalya; mama maataa = my mother; visheshhataH = in particular"
"As is your affection for Kaikeyi, so let it be for Sumitra and also the divine Kausalya, my mother"
तातस्य प्रियकामेन यौवराज्यमपेक्षता |
लोकयोरुभयोः शक्यम् त्वया यत्सुखमेधितुम् || २-५२-३६
36. apekshhataH = "(If you) accept; youva raajam = the princely kingdom; priya kaamana = with an intent to please; taatasya = our father; shakyam = it will be possible; tvayaa = for you; edhitum = to enhance; sukham = happiness; yat = whatever; ubhayoH = in both; lokayaaH = the worlds."
"If you accept the princely kingdom with an intent to please our father, it will be possible for you to enhance happiness in both the worlds (in this world and the next)."
निवर्त्यमानो रामेण सुमन्त्रः शोक कर्शितः |
तत् सर्वम् वचनम् श्रुत्वा स्नेहात् काकुत्स्थम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-३७
37. sumantraH = Sumantra; nivartyamaanaH = who was being sent back; raameNa = by Rama; shoka karshhitaH = agonized with grief; shrutvaa = heard; sarvam = the whole; tat = of that; vachanam = discourse; snehaat = affectionately; abraviit = spoke; kaakutstham = to Rama (as follows):
Sumantra, who was being sent back by Rama, was agonized with grief after hearing the whole of that discourse and affectionately spoke to Rama as follows:
यद् अहम् न उपचारेण ब्रूयाम् स्नेहात् अविक्लवः |
भक्तिमान् इति तत् तावद् वाक्यम् त्वम् क्षन्तुम् अर्हसि || २-५२-३८
38. yat vaakyam = which mode of expression; aham = I; bruuyaam = am speaking; snehaat = friendship; aviklabaH = fearlessly; nopachaareNa = and without courtesy; tat = that; tvaam = you; arhasitaavat = are justified; kshhantum = to forgive; bhaktimaan iti = (considering me) as a devotee."
"If I spoke to you fearlessly in a friendly tone without following courteousness, you ought to forgive my mode of expression, considering me as your devotee"
कथम् हि त्वद् विहीनो अहम् प्रतियास्यामि ताम् पुरीम् |
तव तात वियोगेन पुत्र शोक आकुलाम् इव || २-५२-३९
39. katham hi = "How indeed; aham pratiyaasyaami = can I return; tvadvihiinaH = without you ; taam = to that; puriim = city; tava viyogena taavat = which through separation from you; putra shokaakulaamiva = has been reduced to the state of a mother stricken with grief due to separation from her son."
"How indeed can I return without you to that city, which through separation from you, has been reduced to the state of a mother stricken with grief due to separation from her son"
सरामम् अपि तावन् मे रथम् दृष्ट्वा तदा जनः |
विना रामम् रथम् दृष्ट्वा विदीर्येत अपि सा पुरी || २-५२-४०
40. tadaa = "at that time; dR^ishhTvaa = by seeing; me ratham = my chariot; saraamapi = even with Rama in it; janaH = the people; taavat = (were lamenting) so much. DR^ishhTvaa = by seeing (now); ratham = the chariot; vinaa raamam = without Rama; saa purii = that city; videryetaapi = will even be broken apart."
"By seeing my chariot on that day even with Rama in it, the people were lamenting so much. Now, if they see the chariot without Rama the city of Ayodhya will even be broken asunder."
दैन्यम् हि नगरी गच्चेद् दृष्ट्वा शून्यम् इमम् रथम् |
सूत अवशेषम् स्वम् सैन्यम् हत वीरम् इव आहवे || २-५२-४१
41. nagarii = "the city; gachchhet hi = will go through; dainyam = a miserable condition; sainyam iva = like an army; hata viiram = in which its commander has been killed; aahave = in a battle; svam = and seeing his chariot; suutavasheshham = remaining with charioteer alone; dR^ishhtvaa = by beholding; imam = this; ratham = chariot; shuunyam = empty."
"The city will be plunged in misery, like an army in which its commander is lost in a combat with the charioteer alone surviving, on seeing this chariot without you."
दूरे अपि निवसन्तम् त्वाम् मानसेन अग्रतः स्थितम् |
चिन्तयन्त्यो अद्य नूनम् त्वाम् निराहाराः कृताः प्रजाः || २-५२-४२
42. chintayantyaH = "thinking; tvaam = of you; sthitam = established; agrataH = foremost; maanasena = in their minds; nivasantam api = though residing; duure = at a far away place; prajaaH = the people; adya = today; kR^itaaH = were made; niraahaaraaH = without food. nuunam = It is certain."
"Thinking of you, who though residing far away are established foremost in their minds, the people of Ayodhya must have been deprived of their food today."
दृष्टं तद्धि त्वया राम! यादृशम् त्वत्प्रवासने |
प्रजानाम् सम्कुलम् वृत्तम् त्वच्छोकक्लान्तचेतसाम् || २-५२-४३
43. raama = "Oh; Rama! samkulam = Perplexity; yaadR^sham = of what kind; tat = that; vR^ittam = behavior;dR^ishhTam hi = was witnessed indeed; tvayaa = by you; tvatpravaasane = on the occasion of your exile; prajaanaam = among the people(of Ayodhya); tvacchoka klaanta chetasaam = whose minds were depressed through grief on your account."
"The great perplexity that ensued, on the occasion of your exile, among the people (of Ayodhya), whose minds were depressed through grief on your account, was witnessed by you indeed, Oh, Rama!"
आर्त नादो हि यः पौरैः मुक्तः तत् विप्रवासने |
रथस्थम् माम् निशाम्य एव कुर्युः शत गुणम् ततः || २-५२-४४
44. yaH = "which; aartanaadaH = cry of distress; pouraiH = the citizens; muktaH = raised; tvadvipravaasane = at the time of your banishment; tataH = to that; shataguNam = hundred-fold; kuryuH = will be made; nishaamyaiva = soon after seeing; maam = me; saratham = with (an empty) chariot."
"The cry of distress raised by the citizens (of Ayodhya) will be increased a hundred-fold, when they see me with an empty chariot."
अहम् किम् च अपि वक्ष्यामि देवीम् तव सुतः मया |
नीतः असौ मातुल कुलम् सम्तापम् मा कृथाइति || २-५२-४५
45. aham vakshhyaami kimchaapi = "what shall I say further? Deviim = To Kausalya; iti = that; asou = this; sutaaH = your son; niitaH = has been taken; mayaa = by me; maatula kulam = to the house of his maternal uncle; maa kR^ithaaH = do not; santaapam = grieve."
"Further, shall I say to the queen Kausalya as follows: - �Your son, Rama has been taken by me to the house of his maternal uncle, do not grieve'."
असत्यम् अपि न एव अहम् ब्रूयाम् वचनम् ईदृशम् |
कथम् अप्रियम् एव अहम् ब्रूयाम् सत्यम् इदम् वचः || २-५२-४६
46. aham = �I; naiva bruuyaam = cannot tell; iidR^isham = such; vachanamapi = words too; asatyam = which are untrue. Katham = How; aham = can I; bruuyam = tell; idam vachaH = whish are true; apriyam = (but) unkind?"
"I cannot tell such words too which are untrue. How can I tell, �I abandoned your son in the forest', which words are true but unkind?"
मम तावन् नियोगस्थाः त्वद् बन्धु जन वाहिनः |
कथम् रथम् त्वया हीनम् प्रवक्ष्यन्ति हय उत्तमाः || २-५२-४७
47. katham = "how; hayottamaaH = the excellent horses; niyogasthaaH = obedient; mama = to me; tvad bandhu jana vaahinaH = which carried yourselves and your relatives(Sita and Lakshmana); pravakshhyanti = will draw; ratham = the chariot; hiinam = bereft; tvayaa = of you?"
"How will the excellent horses obedient to me, which carried yourself, Sita and Lakshmana, draw the chariot bereft of you?"
तन्न शक्ष्याम्यहम् गन्तुमयोध्याम् त्वदृतेऽनघ |
वनवासानुयानाय मामनुज्ञातुमर्हसि || २-५२-४८
48. anagha = "Oh; the faultless Rama! tat = for that reason; aham = I; na shakshhyaami = can not; gantum = go; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya. arhasi = You are obliged; anuG^yaatum = to permit; maam = me; vanavaasaanuyaanaaya = to accompany you to the forest."
"Oh, the faultless Rama! For this reason, I cannot go back to Ayodhya. (Pray) permit me to accompany you to the forest."
यदि मे याचमानस्य त्यागम् एव करिष्यसि |
सरथो अग्निम् प्रवेक्ष्यामि त्यक्त मात्रैह त्वया || २-५२-४९
49. karishhyasi yadi = "If you do; me = my; tyaagameva = abandonment; yaachamaanasya = (even though I) solicit;tyaktamaatraH = soon after I am forsaken; pravekshhyaami = I shall enter; agnim = a fire; sarathaH = along with chariot; iha = here."
"If you leave me even though I solicit you to take me with you, I shall enter a fire with chariot and all, here itself the moment I am forsaken by you"
भविष्यन्ति वने यानि तपो विघ्न कराणि ते |
रथेन प्रतिबाधिष्ये तानि सत्त्वानि राघव || २-५२-५०
50. raaghava = Oh; Rama! yaani = which animals; vane = in the forest; bhavishhyanti = become; tapovighnakaraaNi = creators of obstacles to austerities; pratibaadhishhye = I shall ward off; taani sattvaani = those animals; rathena = by the chariot."
"Oh, Rama! With the help of the chariot, I shall ward off those animals in the forest, which create obstacles to your austerities."
तत् कृतेन मया प्राप्तम् रथ चर्या कृतम् सुखम् |
आशंसे त्वत् कृतेन अहम् वन वास कृतम् सुखम् || २-५२-५१
51. sukham = "the pleasure; rathacharyaakR^itam = of driving your chariot; avaaptam = has been obtained; mayaa = by me. TvatkRi^tena = It is through you; aham = I; aashamse = seek; sukham = the happiness; vanavaasakRi^tam = that comes in dwelling in a forest."
"The pleasure of driving your chariot has been obtained by me because of you and it is through you that I seek the happiness that comes in dwelling in a forest."
प्रसीद इच्चामि ते अरण्ये भवितुम् प्रत्यनन्तरः |
प्रीत्या अभिहितम् इच्चामि भव मे पत्यनन्तरः || २-५२-५२
52. prasiida = "Be graceful. Ichchhaami = I desire; bhavitum = to become; pratyanantaraH = close associate; araNye = in the forest. ichchhaami = I wish(to hear); priityaa = (your) loving; abhihitam = assent; bhava = Be; me = my; pratyanantaraH = close associate!"
"Be graceful. I desire to become your close associate in the forest. I wish to hear your loving assent with the words �be my close associate!"
इमे चापि हया वीर यदि ते वनवासिनः |
परिचर्याम् करिष्यन्ति प्राप्स्यन्ति परमाम् गतिम् || २-५२-५३
53. viira = "Oh; hero! Ime hayashchaapi karishhyanti yadi = If these horses too can do; paricharyaam = service; te = to you; praapsyanti = they can attain; paramaam = a supreme; gatim = abode"
"Oh, hero! If these horses too can render service to you, they can attain a supreme abode."
तव शुश्रूषणम् मूर्ध्ना करिष्यामि वने वसन् |
अयोध्याम् देव लोकम् वा सर्वथा प्रजहाम्य् अहम् || २-५२-५४
54. aham = "I; prajahaami = am leaving; ayodhyaami = Ayodhya; devalokamvaa = or even a celestial world (heaven); sarvathaa = by all means. vasam = Dwelling; vane = in the forest; muurdhanaa = with my head bent low; karishhyaami = I shall render; tava = your; shushruushhaNam = service."
-"By all means, I am leaving for good, Ayodhya or even heaven. Dwelling in the forest, with my head bent low, I shall render service to you."
न हि शक्या प्रवेष्टुम् सा मया अयोध्या त्वया विना |
राज धानी महा इन्द्रस्य यथा दुष्कृत कर्मणा || २-५२-५५
55. saa ayodhyaa = That Ayodhya; na hi shakyaa = cannot be; praveshhTum = entered; mayaa = by me; tvayaa vinaa = without you; raajadhaanii yathaa = as Amaravati the capital; mahendrasya = of Devendra; dushhkR^ita karmaNaa = by a doer of wicked deeds."
"As a doer of wicked deeds cannot enter Amaravati, the capital of Devendra, so also I cannot enter Ayodhya without you."
वन वासे क्षयम् प्राप्ते मम एष हि मनो रथः |
यद् अनेन रथेन एव त्वाम् वहेयम् पुरीम् पुनः || २-५२-५६
56. eshhaH hi = "This is indeed; mama = my; manorathaH = desire; yat = that; praapte = after reaching; kshhayam = the end; vanavaase = of dwelling in the forest; vaheyam = I may take; tvaam = you; punaH = again; anena rathenaiva = in this very chariot; puriim = to the city (of Ayodhya)."
"This is indeed my desire that after reaching the end of your exile, I may take you back to the city of Ayodhya in this very chariot."
चतुर् दश हि वर्षाणि सहितस्य त्वया वने |
क्षण भूतानि यास्यन्ति शतशः तु ततः अन्यथा || २-५२-५७
57. sahitasya = "Me; along with; tvayaa = you; vane = in the forest; chaturdasha varshhaaNi = fourteen years; yaasyanti = will slip away; kshhaNa bhuutaani = momentarily. Anyathaa = Otherwise; ataH = than this; shata samkhyaani = will multiply hundred-fold."
"So long as I am with you together in the forest, fourteen years will slip away momentarily. Otherwise than this, they will multiply a hundred- fold."
भृत्य वत्सल तिष्ठन्तम् भर्तृ पुत्र गते पथि |
भक्तम् भृत्यम् स्थितम् स्थित्याम् त्वम् न माम् हातुम् अर्हसि || २-५२-५८
58. bhR^itya vatsale = "Oh; prince; who cherish your dependents! tvam = You; naarhasi = ought not; haatum = abandon; maam = me; bhaktam = your devoted; bhR^ityam = servant; tishhThantam = established; pathi = in the path; bhartR^iputra gate = followed by the son of his master; sthitam = (and) keeping; sthityaam = within bounds"
"Oh, prince, who are so fond of your dependents! You ought not abandon me, your devoted servant, established in the path followed by the son of his master and (always)keeping within bounds."
एवम् बहु विधम् दीनम् याचमानम् पुनः पुनः |
रामः भृत्य अनुकम्पी तु सुमन्त्रम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-५९
59. raamah = Rama; bhR^ityaanukampii = who was compassionate towards his dependents; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; sumantram = to Sumantra; diinam = who was miserably; yaachamaanam = entreating; punaH punaH = again and again; bahuvidham = in many modes.
Rama, who was compassionate towards his dependents, spoke as follows to Sumantra, who was miserably entreating him again and again in many modes.
जानामि परमाम् भक्तिम् मयि ते भर्तृ वत्सल |
शृणु च अपि यद् अर्थम् त्वाम् प्रेषयामि पुरीम् इतः || २-५२-६०
60. bhartR^ivatsala = "Oh; charioteer; so fond of your master! jaanaami = I knew; te = your; paramaam = excellent; bhaktam = devotion; mayi = to me. ShR^iNuchaapi = Hear; yadartham = wherefore; preshhayaami = I send; tvaam = you; itaH = from here; puriim = to the city."
"Oh, charioteer so fond of your master! I know your excellent devotion to me. Hear wherefore I send you from here to the city of Ayodhya."
नगरीम् त्वाम् गतम् दृष्ट्वा जननी मे यवीयसी |
कैकेयी प्रत्ययम् गच्चेद् इति रामः वनम् गतः || २-५२-६१
61. dR^ishhTvaa = "seeing; tvaam = you; gatam = going; nagariim = to the city; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; me = my; yaviiyasii = younger;jananii = mother; gachchhet = will get; pratyayam = the proof; iti = that; raamaH = Rama; gataH = went; vanam = to the forest."
"Seeing you, returning to Ayodhya, Kaikeyi, my younger mother will get the proof that Rama has gone to the forest."
परितुष्टा हि सा देवि वन वासम् गते मयि |
राजानम् न अतिशन्केत मिथ्या वादी इति धार्मिकम् || २-५२-६२
62. paritushhTaa = "having strongly satisfied; mayi = about me; gate = having gone; vanavaasam = to dwell in the forest; saa devii = that queen; (Kaikeyi); naatishaNketa = will not suspect strongly; raajaanaam = about the king; dhaarmikam = who is virtuous; mithyaavaadiiti = as one who speaks untruth"
"Having completely satisfied, about me having gone to forest, Kaikeyi will leave her strong suspicion that the virtuous king may be a person who speaks untruth."
एष मे प्रथमः कल्पो यद् अम्बा मे यवीयसी |
भरत आरक्षितम् स्फीतम् पुत्र राज्यम् अवाप्नुयात् || २-५२-६३
63. eshhaH = "this is; prathamaH = the first; kalpaH = rule to be observed before any other rule; me = for me; yat = that; me = my; yaviiyasii = younger; ambaa = mother; avaapnuyaat = should get; spiitam = the extensive; putra raajyam = kingdom of her son; bharataa rakshhitam = protected by Bharata"
"This is my first priority that my younger mother should get the extensive kingdom, protected by Bharata and thus ruled by her own son."
मम प्रिय अर्थम् राज्ञः च सरथः त्वम् पुरीम् व्रज |
संदिष्टः च असि या अनर्थांस् तांस् तान् ब्रूयाः तथा तथा || २-५२-६४
64. priyaartham = "for the pleasure; mama = of me; raaG^yashcha = and of the king; tvam = you; sarathaH = along with the chariot; vraja = go; puriim = to the city (of Ayodhya); yaan = which; arthaan = matters; asi = you are; sandishhTaH = told; bruuyaaH = inform; taan taan = those and those matters; tathaa tathaa = in that manner."
"For my pleasure and pleasure of the king, you go along with the chariot to Ayodhya and inform all the matters that you have been asked to tell each in the way you have been asked to do."
इति उक्त्वा वचनम् सूतम् सान्त्वयित्वा पुनः पुनः |
गुहम् वचनम् अक्लीबम् रामः हेतुमद् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-६५
65. uktvaa = having spoken; vachanam = the words;iti = thus; suutam = in the chariot; akliibaH = the courageous; raamaH = Rama; saantvayitvaa = consoled(him); punaH punaH = again and again; abraviit = spoke(the following); hetumat = reasoned; vachanam = words; guham = to Guha.
Having spoken thus to the charioteer, the courageous Rama consoled him again and again. Then, he spoke the following reasoned words to Guha:
नेदानीम् गुह योग्योऽयम् वसो मे सजने वने |
अवश्यम् ह्याश्रमे वासह् कर्तव्यस्तद्गतो विधिः || २-५२-६६
66. guha = "Oh; Guha! ayam = this; vaasaH = stay; vane = in the forest; sajane = inhabited with people. na yogyaH = is not proper; me = for me. vaasaH = The stay; avashyam = should be certainly; aashrame = in a hermitage. VidhiH = Let the action; tadgataH = directed towards that; kartavyaH = be done."
"Oh, Guha! This stay in the inhabited woods is not proper for me. My stay should definitely be in a hermitage. Let an action diverted towards that aim be taken"
सोऽहम् गृहीत्वा नियमम् तपस्विजनभूषणम् |
हितकामः पितुर्भूयः सीताया लक्ष्मणस्य च || २-५२-६७
जटाः कृत्वा गमिष्यामि न्यग्रोध क्षीरम् आनय |
67. saH aham = "I as such; hita kaamaH = wishing well of; pituH = my farther; bhunyaH = and; siitaayaaH = of Sita; lakshhmaNasyacha = and of Lakshmana; gR^ihiitvaa = having taken up; niyamam = the restraint; tapsvi janabhuushhaNam = to be adorned by ascetics; gamishhyaami = and proceed further; kR^itvaa = wearing; jaTaaH = matted hair. aanaya = (please) bring; nyagrodha kshhiiram = the milk-like exudation (latex) of a banyan tree."
"I as such, wishing well of my father, Sita as well as Lakshmana and having taken up a discipline to be followed by ascetics, want to proceed further, wearing matted hair. Please bring the latex of a banyan tree."
तत् क्षीरम् राज पुत्राय गुहः क्षिप्रम् उपाहरत् || २-५२-६८
लक्ष्मणस्य आत्मनः चैव रामः तेन अकरोज् जटाः |
68. guhaH = Guha;kshhipram = immediately; upaaharat = brought; tat = that; kshhiiram = milk-like exudation (latex); raaja putraaya = to the prince. Tena = with that; raamaH = Rama; aakarot = made; jaTaaH = matted hair; aatmanashchaiva = to himself; lakshhmaNasya = and to Lakshmana.
Guha immediately brought that latex to the prince. With that, Rama made matted hair to himself and to Lakshmana.
दीर्घबाहुर्नरव्याघ्रो जटिलत्व मधारयत् || २-५२-६९
तौ तदा चीर वसनौ जटा मण्डल धारिणौ |
अशोभेताम् ऋषि समौ भ्रातरौ राम रक्ष्मणौ || २-५२-७०
69;70. diirgha baahuH = That long armed; nara vyaaghraH = tiger among men; Rama; aadhaarayat = wore; jaTilatvam = the matting; tadaa = Then; raama lakshhmaNav = Rama and Lakshmana; bhraatarov = the brothers; chiira vasanou = clad in the bark of trees; jaTaa maNdala dhaariNau = and wearing a rounded mass of matted locks (on their hair); ashobhetaam = looked bright; R^shhisamou = like ascetic sages.
Rama, tiger among men who possessed long arms wore the distinguished mark of an ascetic (in the shape of matted hair) . Then, Rama and Lakshmana the brothers clad in the bark of trees and wearing a round mass of matted locks (on their head) looked bright like two ascetic sages.
ततः वैखानसम् मार्गम् आस्थितः सह लक्ष्मणः |
व्रतम् आदिष्टवान् रामः सहायम् गुहम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-७१
71. tataH = then; aasthitaH = Having adopted; maargam = the way; vaikhaanasam = of a hermit (temporarily); saha lakshhmaNa = along with Lakshmana; raamaH = Rama; aadishhTavaan = accepted; vratam = the vow (of an ascetic); abraviit = and spoke; guham = to Guha; sakhaayam = his friend (as follows):
Having adopted the way of a hermit (temporarily) along with Lakshmana, Rama then accepted the vow of an ascetic life and spoke to Guha, his friend as follows:
अप्रमत्तः बले कोशे दुर्गे जन पदे तथा |
भवेथा गुह राज्यम् हि दुरारक्षतमम् मतम् || २-५२-७२
72. guha = "Oh; Guha! Bhavethaa = Remain; apramattaH = vigilant; bale = in the case of an army; koshe = the treasury; durge = the fortress; tathaa = and; janapade = the people. Matam hi = It is said; raajyam = that a kingdom; duraa rakshhatamam = is the most difficult one to protect."
"Oh, Guha! Remain vigilant in defense, finance, internal security and public relations, for a kingdom is the most difficult one to be protected!"
ततः तम् समनुज्ञाय गुहम् इक्ष्वाकु नन्दनः |
जगाम तूर्णम् अव्यग्रः सभार्यः सह लक्ष्मणः || २-५२-७३
73. tataH = then; ikshhvaaku nandanaH = Rama; who was a delight to Ikshvaku dynasty; samanuG^yaaya = bade farewell; tam guham = to Guha; jagaama = and departed; tuurNam = quickly; avyagraH = remaining undistracted; sabhaaryaH = along with his consort; sahalakshhmaNaH = together with Lakshmana.
Then Rama, who was a delight to Ikshvaku dynasty, bade farewell to Guha and departed quickly, remaining undistracted, along with his consort and together with Lakshmana.
स तु दृष्ट्वा नदी तीरे नावम् इक्ष्वाकु नन्दनः |
तितीर्षुः शीघ्रगाम् गन्गाम् इदम् लक्ष्मणम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-७४
74. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; naavam = the boat; nadiitiire = on the bank of the river; saH ikshhvaakunandanaH = that Rama; titirshhuH = desirous of crossing; shiighragaam = the swift-flowing; gaNgaam = Ganga; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; lakshmaNam = to Lakshmana: -
Seeing the boat on the bank of the river and keen to cross the swift- flowing Ganga, Rama spoke to Lakshmana as follows: -
आरोह त्वम् नर व्याघ्र स्थिताम् नावम् इमाम् शनैः |
सीताम् च आरोपय अन्वक्षम् परिगृह्य मनस्विनीम् || २-५२-७५
75. nara vyaaghraH = "Oh; Lakshmana the tiger among men! Tvam = you; aaroha = get into; imaam = this; naavam = boat; sthityaam = stationed; (here); parigR^ihya = having helped; siitaam cha = Sita; mansviniim = the virtuous wife; aaropaya = step into it."
"Oh, Lakshmana the tiger among men! You get into the boat stationed here unhurriedly afterwards, having helped Sita the virtuous wife step into it."
स भ्रातुः शासनम् श्रुत्वा सर्वम् अप्रतिकूलयन् |
आरोप्य मैथिलीम् पूर्वम् आरुरोह आत्मवांस् ततः || २-५२-७६
76. shrutvaa = hearing; shaasanam = the command; sarvam = wholly; bhraatruH = of his (elder) brother; saH = that Lakshmana; aatmavaan = prudent; apratikuulayan = not resisting it; aaropaya maithiliim = having made Sita to ascend (the boat); puurvam = first; aaruroha = stepped into (the boat); tataH = afterwards.
Hearing the command completely of his elder brother, the prudent Lakshmana, by not counteracting it, made Sita to ascend the boat first and stepped into it afterwards.
अथ आरुरोह तेजस्वी स्वयम् लक्ष्मण पूर्वजः |
ततः निषाद अधिपतिर् गुहो ज्ञातीन् अचोदयत् || २-५२-७७
77. atha = then; tejasvii = the glorious; lakshhmaNa puurvajaH = Rama; the elder brother of Lakshmana; aaruroha = got into (the boat); svayam = himself. TataH = Thereafter; guhaH = Guha; nishhadaadhipatiH = the ruler of the Nishadas; achodayat = commanded; G^yaatiim = his kinsfolk (to row them across the river).
Then, the glorious Rama got into the boat himself. Thereafter, Guha the ruler of Nishadas commanded his kinsfolk to row them across the river.
राघवोऽपि महातेजा नावमारुह्य ताम् ततः |
ब्रह्मवत् क्षत्रवच्चैव जजाप हितमात्मनः || २-५२-७८
78. aaruuhya = after ascending; taam naavam = that boat; raaghava. Api = Rama too; mahaa tejaH = of mighty splendor; tataH = then; jajaapa = recited (a sacred text Daiviim naavam etc) brahmavat = (fit for) Brahmanas; kshhatriyashchaiva = and Kshatriyas; hitam = and conducive to the good; aatmanaH = of his son.
After ascending the boat, Rama too of mighty splendor then recited a sacred text (daiviim naavam etc) fit for brahmanas and Kshatriyas alike and conducive to his own good.
आचम्य च यथाशास्त्रम् नदीम् ताम् सह सीतया |
प्राणमत्प्रीतिसम्हृष्टो लक्ष्मणश्चामितप्रभः || २-५२-७९
79. aachamyacha = having sipped water; yathaa shaastram = as per scriptures; priitisamhR^ishhTaH = and with extreme delight; siitayaa saha = (Rama) with Sita; praaNamat = made obeisance; taam nadiim = to that river; lakshmaNashcha = Lakshmana also; amita prabhaH = of infinite splendor (followed suit.)
Having sipped water as per scriptures and with extreme delight, Rama with Sita made obeisance to that river. Lakshmana, of infinite splendor, followed suit.
अनुज्ञाय सुमन्त्रम् च सबलम् चैव तम् गुहम् |
आस्थाय नावम् रामः तु चोदयाम् आस नाविकान् || २-५२-८०
80. anuG^yaaya = bidding farewell; tam guham = to that Guha; sabalam = with his army of men; sumantram = and Sumantra; raamastu = Rama; aasthaaya = sat on; naavam = the boat; chodayaamaasa = and directed; naavikaan = the boatmen (to move on).
Bidding farewell to Guha with his army of men and Sumantra, Rama sat on the boat and directed the boatmen to move on.
ततः तैः चोदिता सा नौः कर्ण धार समाहिता |
शुभ स्फ्य वेग अभिहता शीघ्रम् सलिलम् अत्यगात् || २-५२-८१
81. taiH = through their; choditaa = propulsion; sa nauH = that boat; karNadhaara samaahitaa = furnished with a pilot; shubha sphya vega abhihataa = obeying those splendid and vigorous oarsmen; shiighram = rapidly; atyagaat = moved across; salilam = water.
Propelled by those splendid and vigorous oarsmen, that boat furnished with a pilot, rapidly moved across the water.
मध्यम् तु समनुप्राप्य भागीरथ्याः तु अनिन्दिता |
वैदेही प्रान्जलिर् भूत्वा ताम् नदीम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-५२-८२
82. samanupraapya = coming to; madhyam = the middle; bhaagiirathyaaH = of Bhagirathi; aninditaa = the irresproachable; vaidehii = Sita; bhuutvaa = having been; praaN^jaliH = with joined palms; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; taam nadiim = to the said river.
Coming to the middle of Bhagirathi river, the irreproachable Sita with joined palms, spoke as follows to the said river: -
पुत्रः दशरथस्य अयम् महा राजस्य धीमतः |
निदेशम् पालयतु एनम् गन्गे त्वद् अभिरक्षितः || २-५२-८३
चतुर् दश हि वर्षाणि समग्राणि उष्य कानने |
भ्रात्रा सह मया चैव पुनः प्रत्यागमिष्यति || २-५२-८४
ततः त्वाम् देवि सुभगे क्षेमेण पुनर् आगता |
यक्ष्ये प्रमुदिता गन्गे सर्व काम समृद्धये || २-५२-८५
83;84;85. gaNge = "Oh; Ganga! Ayam (let) this Rama; putraH = the son; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; mahaaraajasya = the emperor; paalayitvaa = honor; imam = this (his father's); nidesham = command; tvadabhirakshhitaH = under your protection! Ushhya = Having dwelled; kaanane = in the forest; samagraaNi = in full; chaturdasha = for fourteen; varshhaaNi = years; pratyaagamishhyati = (may he) return; punaH = once more (to your bank); bhraataa saha = with his brother; Lakshmana; mayaachaiva = and myself! Subhage = Oh; blessed; devii = goddess; gaN^ge = Ganga! PunaH aagataa = Returning; kshhemeNa = safely; tataH = then; pramuditaa = I; full of joy; sarva kaama samR^iddhinii = all my desires fulfilled; yakshhye = shall worship; tvaam = you."
"Oh, Ganga! Let Rama, the son of the emperor Dasaratha honor his father's command under your protection! Having dwelled in the forest in full fourteen years, may he return once more to your bank with his brother, Lakshmana and myself! Oh, blessed goddess Ganga! Returning safely, with all my desires fulfilled, I shall worship you with great joy."
त्वम् हि त्रिपथगा देवि ब्रह्म लोकम् समीक्षसे |
भार्या च उदधि राजस्य लोके अस्मिन् सम्प्रदृश्यसे || २-५२-८६
86. tvam = "you; devii = Oh; goddess; tripathagaa = flowing through three regions; (namely heaven; earth and subterranean); samiikshhase hi = are indeed seeing; brahmalokam = Brahma's realm (the outermost of the six spheres enveloping the earth); sampradR^ishyase = and are vividly seen; asmin = on this; loke = terrestrial plane; bhaaryaacha = as a consort; udadhiraajasya = of the ocean king."
You, Oh goddess flowing through three regions (namely heaven, earth and subterranean regions), include in your basin the realm of Brahma (the outermost of the six spheres enveloping the earth) and are vividly seen on this terrestrial plane as a consort of the ocean king."
सा त्वाम् देवि नमस्यामि प्रशंसामि च शोभने |
प्राप्त राज्ये नर व्याघ्र शिवेन पुनर् आगते || २-५२-८७
गवाम् शत सहस्राणि वस्त्राणि अन्नम् च पेशलम् |
ब्राह्मणेभ्यः प्रदास्यामि तव प्रिय चिकीर्षया || २-५२-८८
87;88. shobhane devii = "oh; charming goddess! Saa = I; Sita; namasyaami = greet; tvaam = you; prashamsaami cha = and extol you too; naravyaaghre = when Rama the tiger among men; shivena = has safely; aagate = returned; punaH = again; praapte raajye = and regains his kingdom; pradaasyaami = I shall give away; shatasahasraaNi = a lakh; gavaam = of cows; peshalam = soft; vastraaNi = clothing; annamcha = and food stuff; brahmaNebhya = to Brahmanas; priyachikiirshhayaa = with an intent to please you."
"Oh, charming goddess! I, Sita, greet you and extol you too. When Rama the tiger among men safely returns and regains his kingdom, I shall give away a lakh of cows, soft clothing and food to brahmanas with intent to please you."
सुराघटसहस्रेण मांसभूतोदनेन च |
यक्ष्ये त्वाम् प्रयता देवि पुरीम् पुनरुपागता || २-५२-८९
89. devii = "Oh; goddess! Upaagata = After reaching; puriim = the city (Ayodhya); punaH = again; yakshhye = I shall worship (you); suraaghata sahasreNa = with thousand pots of spirituous liquor; maamsa bhuutodanena cha = and jellied meat with cooked rice; prayataa = well-prepared for the solemn rite."
"Oh, goddess! After reaching back the city of Ayodhya, I shall worship you with thousand pots of spirituous liquor and jellied meat with cooked rice well prepared for the solemn rite."
यानि त्वत्तीरवासीनि दैवतानि च सन्ति हि |
तानि सर्वाणि यक्ष्यामि तीर्थान्यायतनानि च || २-५२-९०
90. yakshhyaami = I shall worship; yaami = whatever; daivataani = deities; santi = are there; sarvaaNi = all; tvattiira vaasini = dwelling on your banks; tiirthaani = sacred spots; aayatanaamicha = and sanctuaries."
"I shall worship all deities dwelling on your banks as also sacred spots and sanctuaries."
पुनरेव महाबाउर्मया भ्रात्रा च सम्गतः |
अयोध्याम् वनवासात्तु प्रविशत्वनघोऽनघे || २-५२-९१
91. anaghe = "oh; irreproachable one! AnaghaH = (May) the sinless; mahaabaahuH = and mighty armed Rama; pravishatu = re-enter; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; punareva = again; vanavaasaat = from dwelling in the forest; sangataH = along with; bhraatraacha = Lakshmana; his brother; mayaa = (and) myself."
"Oh, irreproachable goddess! May the sinless Rama (with mighty arms) re-enter Ayodhya again from the forest, along with Lakshmana and myself."
तथा सम्भाषमाणा सा सीता गन्गाम् अनिन्दिता |
दक्षिणा दक्षिणम् तीरम् क्षिप्रम् एव अभ्युपागमत् || २-५२-९२
92. tathaa = then; sambhaashha maaNaa = praying (to Ganga); siita = Sita; dakshhiNaa = the efficient; aninditaa = irreproachable; abhyupaagamat = reached; kshhiprameva = rapidly; dakshhiNam = the right; tiiram = bank.
Thus praying to Ganga, the efficient and irreproachable Sita rapidly reached the right bank of the river.
तीरम् तु समनुप्राप्य नावम् हित्वा नर ऋषभः |
प्रातिष्ठत सह भ्रात्रा वैदेह्या च परम् तपः || २-५२-९३
93. samanupraapya = reaching; tiiram = the bank; nararshhabhaH = Rama the best among men; paramtapaH = and the chastiser of foes; hitvaa = left; naavam = the boat; praatishhThata = and further proceeded; bhraatraasaha = along with Lakshmana his brother; vaidehyaacha = and Sita.
Reaching the bank and leaving the boat, Rama the best among men and the chastiser of foes proceeded further along with Lakshmana and Sita.
अथ अब्रवीन् महा बाहुः सुमित्र आनन्द वर्धनम् |
भव सम्रक्षणार्थाय सजने विजनेऽपि वा || २-५२-९४
94. "Be prepared for protecting Sita in the inhabited as well as in uninhabited areas also." W.wM---atha = then; mahaabaahuH = Rama; the mighty armed; abraviit = spoke; sumitraa nandanam = to Lakshmana (who heightened the joy of Sumitra); bhava = "Be prepared; samrakshaNaarthaaya = for protecting; (Sita); sajane = in the inhabited; vijane.apivaa = and in the uninhabited areas also."
Then, Rama the mighty armed, spoke to Lakshmana (who heightened the joy of Sumitra) as follows:
अवश्यम् रक्षणम् कार्यमदृष्टे विजने वने |
अग्रतः गच्च सौमित्रे सीता त्वाम् अनुगच्चतु || २-५२-९५
95. rakshhaNam = "security; kaaryam = is to be arranged; avashyam = inevitably; adR^shhTe = and in an unforeseen; vijane = and in an uninhabited; vane = forest. soumitre = Oh; Lakshmana! Gachchha = Go; agrataH = in front. Siitaa anugachchhatu = Let Sita follow; tvaam = you."
"Security is an inevitable need in a forest, which has unforeseen dangers and is uninhabited, Oh, Lakshmana! Go in front. Let Sita follow you."
पृष्ठतः अहम् गमिष्यामि त्वाम् च सीताम् च पालयन् |
अन्योन्यस्य हि नो रक्षा कर्तव्या पुरुषर्षभ || २-५२-९६
96. aham = "I; gamishhyaami = shall proceed; pR^ishhThataH = in the back; paalayam = protecting; tvaam cha = you; siitaamcha = and Sita; purushharshhabha = Oh; jewel among men! Rakshha = Protection; kartavyaa = must be accorded; iha = here; naH = by us; anyonyasya = to one another."
"I shall proceed in the rear, protecting you and Sita. Oh, jewel among men! We must accord protection here to one another."
न हि तावदतिक्रान्ता सुकरा काचन क्रिया |
अद्य दुःखम् तु वैदेही वनवासस्य वेत्स्यति || २-५२-९७
97. atikraanta = "an over stepped; kaachana kriyaa = doing whatsoever; Na hi taavat = cannot indeed be; sukaraa = smoothly done again. Vaidehii = Sita; vetsyati = will experience; duHkham = the hardship; vanavaasasya = of staying in a forest; adya = (only) from us."
"An act which has gone out of hand, whatsoever, cannot indeed be remedied again. Sita will experience the hardship of staying in a forest only from now."
प्रणष्टजनसम्बाधम् क्षेत्रारामविवर्बितम् |
विषमम् च प्रपातम् च वनमद्य प्रवेक्ष्यति || २-५२-९८
98. adya = " today; pravekshhyati = (she)will enter; vanam = the forest; praNashhTajana sambaadhaam = when density of people is not seen; kshhetra araama vivarjitam = which is utterly devoid of fields and gardens; vishhamamcha = and is full of stumbles."
"Today she will enter the forest, where density of people is not seen, which is utterly devoid of fields and gardens, has a rugged surface and is full of stumbles."
श्रुत्वा रामस्य वचनम् प्रतिस्थे लक्ष्मणोऽग्रतः |
अनन्तरम् च सीताया राघवो रघुनन्दनः || २-५२-९९
99. shrutvaa = listening to; raamasya = Rama's; vachanam = words; lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; pratasthe = walked; agrataH = in front. Anantaram = immediately after; siitaayaaH = Sita; raaghavaH = Rama; raghunandanaH = the delight of Raghu dynasty (advanced).
Listening to Rama's words, Lakshmana walked in front. Immediately after Sita, Rama, the delight of Raghu dynasty, advanced.
गतम् तु गन्गा पर पारम् आशु |
रामम् सुमन्त्रः प्रततम् निरीक्ष्य |
अध्व प्रकर्षात् विनिवृत्त दृष्टिर् |
र्मुमोच बाष्पम् व्यथितः तपस्वी || २-५२-१००
100. pratatam = constantly; niriikshhya = gazing at; raamam = Rama; gatam = who reached; ashu = soon; gaN^gaa para paaram = the other bank of Ganga river; tapasvii = the distressed; sumantraH = Sumantra; vinivR^itta dR^ishhTiH = his vision having failed; adhvaprakarshhaat = due to the great distance; vyathitaH = and perturbed as he was; mumocha = shed; baashhpam = tears (of grief over separation from Rama).
Constantly gazing at Rama, who reached soon the other bank of Ganga River, the distressed Sumantra, his vision having failed due to the long distance and perturbed as he was, shed tears (of grief over separation from Rama).
स लोकपालप्रतिमप्रभाववाम् |
स्तीर्त्वा महात्मा वरदो महानदीम् |
ततः समृद्धान् शुभसस्यमालिनः |
क्रमेण वत्सान् मुदितानुपागमत् || २-५२-१०१
101. tiirvaa = having crossed; mahaanadiim = the great river; saH = that Rama; mahaatmaa = the high-soled; varadaH = the bestowal of boons; loka paala pratimaprabhaava vaan = equal in glory with the guardians of spheres; tataH = then; upaagamat = reached; krameNa = progressively; vatsaan = the land of Vatsa; samRidhdhhaan = and the happy; shubha sasya maalinaH = which contained rows of beautiful crops.
Having crossed the great river, Rama the high-soled, the bestowal of boons, equal in glory with the guardians of spheres, then reached progressively the prosperous and the happy land of Vatsa; which contained rows of beautiful crops.
तौ तत्र हत्वा चतुरः महा मृगान् |
वराहम् ऋश्यम् पृषतम् महा रुरुम् |
आदाय मेध्यम् त्वरितम् बुभुक्षितौ|
वासाय काले ययतुर् वनः पतिम् || २-५२-१०२
102. hatvaa = having killed; tatra = there; chaturaH = four; mR^igaan = deer (namely); varaaham = Varaaha; R^ishyam = Risya; pR^ishhatam = PR^isata; mahaaruru = (and) Mahaaruru; (the four principal species of deer); aadayaa = and taking; tvaritam = quickly; medhyam = the portions that were pure; tou = Rama and Lakshmana; bubhukshhitou = being hungry as they were; yayatuH = reached; vanaspatim = a tree; vaasayaa = to take rest; kaale = in the evening.
Having hunted there four deer, namely Varaaha, Rishya, Prisata; and Mahaaruru (the four principal species of deer) and taking quickly the portions that were pure, being hungry as they were, Rama and Lakshmana reached a tree to take rest in the evening.
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अयोध्य काण्डे द्विपंचाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Oct 2002, K. M. K. Murthy