On the wish of King Dasaratha, Vasishta goes to Rama's palace and asks him to perform fast that night along with Seetha. Vasishta returns to Dasaratha's palace and informs him about this. On the way to the king's palace Vasishta observes the festive atmosphere in Ayodhya anticipating Rama's coronation the next day.
sandiśya rāmaṃ nṛpatiḥ śvobhāvinyabhiṣecane |
purohitaṃ samāhūya vasiṣṭhamidamabravīt || 2-5-1
1. sandishya = after sending; raamam = Rama; nR^ipatiH = king Dasaratha; samaahuuya = called for; purohitam = the family priest; vasishhTham = Vasishta; abraviit = (and) spoke; idam = these words; bhaavini = about the ensuing; abhishhechane = anointment; svaH = tomorrow
After Rama left, king Dasaratha called for his family priest Vasishta and spoke to him as follows about the ensuing anointment ceremony of the next day.
gacchopavāsaṃ kākutthsaṃ kārayādya tapodhana |
śrīyaśorājyalābhāya vadhvā saha yatavratam || 2-5-2
2. tapodhana = O; great sage Vasishta! gachchha = go; yatavratam kaakutthsam = to the avowed Rama; vadhvaa saha = who is with daughter in law Seetha; adya = today; kaaraya = to make them perform; upavaasam = fasting; sriiyashoraajya laabhaaya = for obtaining prosperity; glory and sovereignty.
"O, great sage Vasishta! Please go to the avowed Rama and Seetha today to make them perform fasting for obtaining prosperity, glory and sovereignty."
tatheti ca sa rājānamuktvā vedavidāṃ varaḥ |
svayaṃ vasiṣṭho bhagavān yayau rāmaniveśanam || 2-5-3
upavāsayituṃ rāmaṃ mantravanmantrakovidaḥ |
brāhmaṃ rathavaraṃ yuktamāsthāya sudṛdhavrataḥ || 2-5-4
3; 4. saH = that; vasishhThaH = Vasista; vedavidaam varaH = who is the best of knowers of Veda; mantrakovidaH = who is expert in mantras; sudR^idhavrataH = who is firm in austerities; bhagavaan = who is divine; uktvaa = spoke; raajaanam = to king Dasaratha; tathaa iti = " Let that be it."; svayam = personally; yayau = went; raamaniveshanam = to Rama's house; aasthaaya = alighting; rathavaram = the best chariot; uktam = which was ready; braahmam = which was well suited for Brahmans; upavaasayitum = to get the fasting performed; raamam = by Rama; mantravat = a knower of mantras.
Vasista, who is the best of knowers of Veda, who is expert in mantras, who is firm in austerities and who is divine, said to Dasaratha : "I agree to it" and personally went to Rama's house on a chariot which was ready and quite suitable for a Brahman; so as to advise Rama to undertake a fast (with mantras) performed by Rama, a knower of mantras.
sa rāmabhavanaṃ prapya pāṇḍurābhraghanaprabham |
tisraḥ kakṣyā rthenaiva viveśa munisattamaḥ || 2-5-5
5. saH = That; munisattamaH = best of the sages; praapya = got; raama bhavanam = to Rama's house; paaNDuraabhraghanaprabham = which was radiant like a dense white cloud; vivesha = entered; tisraH = the three; kakshyaaH = gateways; rathaanaiva = by chariot itself.
That great sage reached Rama's house, which was radiant like a dense white cloud and entered the three gateways of the house by the chariot itself.
tamāgatamṛṣiṃ rāmastvaranniva sasaṃbhramaḥ |
mānayiṣyan sa mānārhaṃ niścakrāma niveśanāt || 2-5-6
6. maanayishhyan = to respect; manaarham = the honourable; R^ishhim = sage; aagatam = who arrived; saH = that; raamaH = Rama; nishchakraama = started; niveshanaat = out of the house; tvaranniva = quickly; sasaMbhramaH = and hurriedly.
To respect the honorable sage, who arrived, Rama came quickly and hurriedly out of the house.
abhyetya tvaramāṇaśca rathābhyāśaṃ manīṣiṇaḥ |
tato.avatārayāmāsa parigṛhya rathātsvayam || 2-5-7
7. tvaramaaNaH = quickly; abhyetya = got; rathaabhyaasham = nearer to chariot; maniishhiNaH = of the intelligent Vasishta; svayam parigR^ihya = and by personally holding his hand; avataarayaamaasa = helped him to alight; tataH rathaat = from that chariot.
Rama quickly got nearer to Vasishta's chariot and personally helped him to alight from the chariot.
sacainaṃ praśritaṃ dṛṣṭvā saṃ bhāṣyābhiprasādya ca |
priyārhaṃ harṣayan rāmamityuvāca purohitaḥ || 2-5-8
8. saH = that; purohitaH cha = family priest also; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; enam = this; priyaarham = lovable; prashritaM = and humble; ramaM = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; iti = this; abhiprasaadya cha = bringing cheerfulness; harshayan = and happiness to him; sambhaashya = by uttering (the following)words
That family priest Vasishta seeing that lovable and humble Rama, spoke the following words, bringing cheerfulness and happiness to him:
prasannaste pitā rāma yauvarājyamavāpsyasi |
upavāsaṃ bhavānadya karotu saha sītayā || 2-5-9
9. raama = O; Rama! pitaa = your father; prasannaH = is delighted; te = in your matter; avaapsyasi = you will be getting; yauvaraajyam = princely kingdom; bhavaan = you; saha siita = along with Seetha; upavaasaM karothu = do fasting; adya = today.
"O, Rama! Your father is delighted with you. You will be getting the princely kingdom. Hence, you and Seetha perform fasting today."
prātastvāmabhiṣektā hi yauvarājye narādhipaḥ |
pitā daśarathaḥ prītyā yayātiṃ nahuṣo yathā || 2-5-10
10. pitaa = your father; naraadhipaH = lord of people (king) ; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; abhishhektaa hi = is anointing; tvaam = you; priityaa = affectionately; yauvaraajye = for the princely kingdom; praataH = tomorrow at dawn; yayaatiM yathaa = as to yayati; nahushhaH = the king Nahusha.
"Your father; King Dasaratha is anointing you affectionately for the princely kingdom tomorrow at dawn; even as king Nahusha has done to Yayati".
ityuktvā sa tadā rāma mupavāsaṃ yatavratam |
mantravat kārayāmāsa vaidehyā sahitaṃ muniḥ || 2-5-11
11. saH = that; muniH = sage Vasishta; iti = thus; uktvaa = spoke; tadaa = then; mantravat = with mantras; kaarayaamaasa = made; yatavratam = the avowed; raamam = Rama; vaidehyaa sahitam = together with Seetha; upavaasam = to fast.
Vasistha thus spoke to Rama and enjoined him to undertake a vow of fasting together with Seetha, in the accompaniment of mantras.
tato yathāvadrāmeṇa sa rājño gururarcitaḥ |
abhyanujñāpya kākutthsaṃ yayau rāmaniveśanāt || 2-5-12
12. tataH = thereafter; raajJNnaH = Royal; guruH = priest; saH = that Vasista; architaH = being worshipped; yathaavat = suitably; raameNa = by Rama; abhyannjJNaapya = took permission; kaakutthsam = from Rama; yayau = and went; raamaniveshanaat = from Rama's house.
Thereafter, Rama worshipped the royal priest Vasistha suitably. Vasistha then got Rama's permission and left his house.
suhṛdbhistatra rāmo.api sahāsīnaḥ priyaṃvadaiḥ |
sabhājito viveśātha tānanujñāpya sarvaśaḥ || 2-5-13
13. raamo api = Rama also; aasiinaH = sat; tatra = there; saha priyaMvadaiH = by affectionately talkingwith; suhR^idbhiH = friends; atha = then; sabhaajitaH = being congratulated; taan = by them; sarvashaH = in all ways; vivesha = entered(his palace); anujJNaapya = after making them to permit.
Rama spent some time by delightedly talking with friends and having been congratulated by them in various ways went into his palace after taking leave of them.
hṛṣṭanārīnarayutaṃ rāmaveśma tadā babau |
yathā mattadvijagaṇaṃ prapullanalinaṃ saraḥ || 2-5-14
14. tadaa = then; raamaveshma = Rama's house; babhau = was shining; hR^ishhTanaariinarayutam = with delighted men and women; sarah yathaa = as lake; mattadvijagaNam = with intoxicated group of birds; prapullanalinam = and with opened lotuses.
Then, Rama's house was shining, as brilliantly with delighted men and women, as a lake filled with opened lotuses and visited by innumerable happy birds.
sa rājabhavanaprakhyāttasmādrāmaniveśanāt |
nirgatya dadṛśe mārgaṃ vasiṣṭho janasaṃvṛtam || 2-5-15
15. saH = that; vasishhTaH = Vasistha; nirgatya = leaving; raamaniveshanaat = Rama's house; raajabhavana prakhyaat = equal to royal palace; dadR^ishe = saw; maargam = the way; janasaMvR^itam = filled with people.
Vasishta, leaving Rama's house, which seemed like the royal palace, saw the way filled with people.
bṛndabṛndairayodhyāyāṃ rājamārgāḥ samantataḥ |
babhūvurabhisaṃbādhāḥ kutūhalajanairvṛtāḥ || 2-5-16
16. samantataH = in the entire; raajamaargaaH = royal roads; ayodhyaayaam = in Ayodhya; bR^indabR^indaiH = groups and groups of ; kutuuhala janaiH = delighted people; vritaaH = gathered around; abhisambaadhaaH babhuuvuH = and made the roads congested.
All the royal highways in the city of Ayodhya were filled with groups and groups of delighted people and became congested.
babhūva rājamārgasya sāgarasyeva nisvanaḥ || 2-5-17
17. tadaa = then; raajamaargasya = in the king's road; janabR^indormi saMgharshha harshha svanavataH = the sound created by the commotion of the people with their rejoicing; combined with their moving in waves ; babhuuva nisvanaH = was resounding; saagarasyeva = like an ocean.
Then, on the royal road, the resonance created by the rush of the people, moving hither and thither like waves, combined with their rejoicing, resounded like the roar of an ocean.
siktasaṃmṛṣṭarathyā hi tadaharvanamālinī |
āsīdayodhyā nagarī samucchritagṛhadhvajā || 2-5-18
18. tadahaH = On that day; ayodhyaa nagarii = the city of Ayodhya; aasiit = became; sikta samR^ishhTa rathyaa hi = one with the roads cleaned and sprinkled with water; vanamaalini = with rows of trees; samuchchhrita gR^ihadhvajaa = (and) one that has houses hoisted with flags.
On that day, in the city of Ayodhya, all the roads were cleaned and sprinkled with water. There were rows of trees on both sides of the roads and flags hoisted on houses.
tadā hyayodhyānilayaḥ sastrībālābalo janaḥ |
rāmābhiṣekamākāñkṣannākāṇkṣadudayaṃ raveḥ | 2-5-19
19. tadaa = then; janaH = the people; ayodhyaa nilayaH = residing in Ayodhya; sa strii baala abalaH = including women; children and the old aged; aakaaNkshat = were longing; udayam raveH = for sun rise; aakaaNkshan = wishing; raamaabhishhekam = for anoinment ceremory of Rama.
Then, the people of Ayodhya including children, women and the old-aged were waiting for sunrise, wishing the anointment ceremony of Rama to happen.
prajālaṅkārabhūtaṃ ca janasyānandavardhanam |
utsuko.abhūjjano draṣṭuṃ tamayodhyāmahotsavam || 2-5-20
20. janaH = people; abhuut = are; utsukaH = enthusiastic; drashhTum = to see; tam = that; ayodhyaa mahotsavam = Ayodhya's great function; prajaalaN^kaarabhuutam = which was decorative to the community; aanandavardhanam = and which would bring forward increased joy.
In Ayodhya, people were enthusiastic to see the great public function, which was decorative to the community and which would bring forward an increased joy.
evaṃ taṃ janasaṃbādhaṃ rājamārgaṃ purohitaḥ |
vyūhanniva janaughaṃ taṃ śanairājakulaṃ yayau || 2-5-21
21. purohitaH = The family priest Vasista; evam = thus; tam raajamaargam = (seeing) that king's way; janasaMbaadham = being overcrowded with people; yayau = got to; raajakulam = the royal palace; shanaiH = slowly; vyuuhanniva = as if separating; tam janaugham = that crowd.
Vasishta, thus seeing the king's way being overcrowded with people, reached the royal palace slowly by forcing a passage through that crowd.
sitābhraśikharaprakhyaṃ prāsādamadhiruhya saḥ |
samīyāya narendreṇa śakreṇeva bṛhaspatiḥ || 2-5-22
22. saH = He; adhiruhya = ascended; praasaadam = the royal palace; sitaabhra shikhara prakhyam = which resembled the top of a mountain enclosed by white cloud; samiiyaaya = met; narendreNa = king Dasaratha; shakreNeva bR^ihaspatiH = like bhR^ihaspati meeting Devendra.
He walked up the royal palace, which was akin to the top of a mountain enclosed by a white cloud and met king Dasaratha in the manner Brihaspati met Devendra.
tamāgatamabhiprekṣya hitvā rājāsanaṃ nṛpaḥ |
papraccha sa ca tasmai tatkṛtamityabhyavedayat || 2-5-23
23. nR^ipaH = king Dasaratha; abhiprekshya = seeing; tam = him; aagatam = who came; hitvaa = left; raajaasanam = the throne; paprachchha = and asked; saH cha = he (Vasistha) also; abhyavedayat = informed; tasmai = to him (to Dasaratha); iti = that; tat = it; kR^itam = was done.
Seeing Vasistha had returned, King Dasaratha alighted from his throne and asked him with regard to his mission. Vasistha informed him that it was accomplished.
tena caiva tadā tulyaṃ sahāsīnāḥ sabhāsadaḥ |
āsanebhyaḥ samuttasthuḥ pūjayantaḥ purohitam || 2-5-24
24. tadaa = then; sabhaasadaH = members of assembly; saha aasiinaaH = who were sitting along with (Dasaratha); samuttasthuH = raised; aasanebhyaH = from seats; puujayantaH = by respecting; purohitam = the family priest (Vasistha); tena tulyameva = as king Dasaratha did.
The members of assembly who were sitting along with the king till then, raised in obeisance to Vasishta from their seats, following the example of the king.
guruṇā tvabhyanujñāto manijaughaṃ visṛjya tam |
viveśāntaḥpuraṃ rājā siṃho giriguhāmiva || 2-5-25
25. raajaa = King Dasaratha; abhyanujJNyaataH = after being permitted by; guruNaa = the priest Vasishta; visR^ijya = left; tam = that; manujaugham = assembly of men; vivesha = and entered; antaH puram = the palace; giriguhaamiva = as into a mountain cave; siMhaH = a lion.
King Dasaratha, after obtaining permission from Vasishta, left that assembly of men and entered his palace as a lion enters a mountain cave.
mahendraveśmapratimaṃ niveśanam |
vidīpayaṃścāru viveśa pārthivaḥ |
śaśīva tārāgaṇasaṃkulaṃ nabhaḥ || 2-5-26
26. paarthivaH = King Dasaratha; vivesha = entered; tam niveshanam = that palace; agraveshha pramadaa janaakulam = filled with women in top dress and form; mahendra vesma pratimam = like the house of Devendra; vidiipayan = causing it to shine; shashiiva = as the moon; chaaru nabhaH = to beautiful sky; taaraagaNa saMkulam = filled with groups of stars.
That palace with women in top dress and form was like the palace of Devendra. By the entering of King Dasaratha, the palace became more radiant, just as the moon radiates a beautiful sky with its stars.
- - -
|| ityārśe srīmadrāmāyane ādikāvye ayodhyakānde pancama sargaḥ ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy[Revised: May 05]