Establishing the greatness of Rama, Sumitra of gracious speech, assuages Kausalya's grief.
vilapantīm tathā tām tu kausalyām pramada uttamām |
idam dharme sthitā dharmyam sumitrā vākyam abravīt || 2-44-1
1. sumitraa = Sumitra; sthitaa = devoted; dharma = to righteousness; abraviit = spoke; idam vaakyam = these words; dharmam = which were virtuous; taam kausalyaam = to that Kausalya; vilapantiim = who was wailing; tathaa = thus; pramadottamaam = and who was best among women.
Sumitra, who was devoted to righteousness spoke the following words, which were virtuous, to the celebrated Kausalya, the foremost among women, who had been wailing as aforesaid
tava ārye sad guṇaiḥ yuktaḥ putraḥ sa puruṣa uttamaḥ |
kim te vilapitena evam kṛpaṇam ruditena vā || 2-44-2
aarye = "Oh; the venerable one! tava = your; saH putraH = that son Rama; yuktaH = is endowed with; sadguNaiaH = excellent virtues; purushhottamaH = and foremost among men; kim = what is the use in; te = your; vilapitena = lamenting; evam = thus; ruditenavaa = or weeping ; kR^ipaNam = piteously?"
"That son of yours, oh the venerable one, is endowed with excellent virtues and is the foremost among men. What is the use in your lamenting in this way or in weeping piteously?"
yaḥ tava ārye gataḥ putraḥ tyaktvā rājyam mahā balaḥ |
sādhu kurvan mahātmānam pitaram satya vādinām || 2-44-3
śiṣṭaiḥ ācarite samyak śaśvat pretya phala udaye |
rāmaḥ dharme sthitaḥ śreṣṭho na sa śocyaḥ kadācana || 2-44-4
3;4. aarye = Oh; noble lady! yaH = Which; tava putraH = your son; mahaabalaH = having mighty strength; kurvan = proving;apitaram = his father; mahaatmaanam = the high-soled; saadhu = perfectly;satyavaadinam = true-speaking; tyaktvaa = by renouncing; raajyam = the throne; sthitaH = standing firmly; dharme = in righteousness; aacharite = which is practiced; shashvat = always; samyak = perfectly;sishhyaiH = by disciples; phalodaye = which gives fruits; pretya = even after death; saH = that; raamaH = Rama; shreshhTaH = the most excellent; na kadaachana = never; shochya = deserves to be lamented. "
"Oh, noble lady! Your son is having mighty strength. He proved his high- soled father perfectly truthful by renouncing his throne. He stood firmly in righteousness, which is always practiced perfectly by disciples and which gives fruits even after death. That Rama, the most excellent man, never deserves to be lamented."
vartate ca uttamām vṛttim lakṣmaṇo asmin sadā anaghaḥ |
dayāvān sarva bhūteṣu lābhaḥ tasya mahātmanaḥ || 2-44-5
5. lakshhmaNaH = Lakshmana; anaghaH = the faultless man; dayavaan = and the compassionate man; sarva bhuuteshhu = towards all beings; sadaa = always; vartate = conducts; vR^ittim = his behaviour; uttamaam = excellently;asmin = in the case of Rama. LaabhaH = It is beneficial; tasya = to him(Rama); mahaatmanaH = the high-soled man."
"Lakshmana, the faultless man and the compassionate man towards all beings, always renders the best form of service to Rama. His conduct is beneficial to the high-soled Rama."
araṇya vāse yad duhkham jānatī vai sukha ucitā |
anugaccati vaidehī dharma ātmānam tava ātmajam || 2-44-6
6. "vaidehi = Sita; sukhochitaa = who was habituated to comforts; jaanatiivai = even after knowing; duHkham = the pain; yat = whatever; anugachchhati = is accompanying; tava = your; aatmajam = son; dharmaatmaanam = the virtuous soled."
Sita, who was habituated to comforts, even after knowing the pain whatsoever, is accompanying your virtuous- soled son."
kīrti bhūtām patākām yo loke bhrāmayati prabhuḥ |
dama satya vrata paraḥ kim na prāptaḥ tava ātmajaḥ || 2-44-7
7. yaH = Who; prabhuH = the capable man; bhramayati = fluttering; pataakam = the banner; kiirti bhuutaam = of fame; loke = in the world; tava aatmajaH = that son of yours; dharmaHsatyavrata paraH = who is engrossed in virtue and is pledged to the vow of truthfulness; kim = what; na praptaH = has not been secured(by him)?"
"What has not been secured by your capable son, who is rich in virtue and is engrossed in the vow of truthfulness, and the banner of whose fame flutters though out the world?"
vyaktam rāmasya vijñāya śaucam māhātmyam uttamam |
na gātram aṃśubhiḥ sūryaḥ samtāpayitum arhati || 2-44-8
8. viG^yaaya = Having known; shoucham = purity; uttamam = and the mighty; maahaatmayam = magnanimity; raamasya = of Rama; suuryaH = the sun; vyaktam = will assuredly; na arhati = not be able; santaapayitum = to torment; gaatram = his body; amshubhiH = with his rays."
"Having known the purity and magnanimity of Rama , the sun assuredly will not be able to torment Rama's body with his rays."
śivaḥ sarveṣu kāleṣu kānanebhyo vinihsṛtaḥ |
rāghavam yukta śīta uṣṇaḥ seviṣyati sukho anilaḥ || 2-44-9
9. shivaH = Auspicious; sukhaH = and delightful; anilaH = breeze; yuktashiitoshhNaH = of moderate heat and cold; viniHsR^itaH = blowing; kaananebhyaH = from woods; sarveshhu kaaleshhu = at all times; sevishhyati = will render service; raaghavam = to Rama."
"Auspicious and delightful breeze of moderate heat and cold, blowing from woods at all times , will render service to Rama"
śayānam anagham rātrau pitā iva abhipariṣvajan |
raśmibhiḥ saṃspṛśan śītaiḥ candramā hlādayiṣyati || 2-44-10
10. samspR^ishan = gently touching;rashmibhiH = with its rays; shiitaaiH = which are cool; shayaanam = when he is reposing; raatrou = at night; abhiparishhvajan = and embracing him ; piteva = like his father; chandraH = the moon; ahlaadayishhyati = will refresh him."
"Gently touching with its cool rays when he is reposing at night and embracing him like a father, the moon will refresh Rama"
dadau ca astrāṇi divyāni yasmai brahmā mahā ojase |
dānava indram hatam dṛṣṭvā timi dhvaja sutam raṇe || 2-44-11
sa śūraḥ puruṣavyāghraḥ svabāhubalamāśritaḥ |
asantrasto.a pyaraṇyastho veśmanīva nivatsyati || 2-44-12
11;12. dR^ishhTvaa = Seeing; timidhvajasutam = Subahu; the son of Shambarasura; daanavendram = the chief of demons ; hatam = being killed; raNe = in battle; brahmaa = Brahma ;the god of creation; dadan = gave; yasmai = to which Rama; mahanjase = the man with great splendor; divyaani = the celestial ; astraaNi = weapons; saH = that Rama; shuuraH = the hero; purushha vyaaghraH = and the tiger among men; aashritaH = relying; svabaahubalam = on the strength of his own arms; nivatsyasi = will dwell; asantrastaH = fearlessly; araNyastho. api = even when living in the forest; veshmamiiva = as his own palace."
"Formerly, when Rama killed Subahu the son of Sambarasura the chief of demons, Brahma being delighted , gave celestial weapons to Rama, the man with great splendor. Rama the hero and the tiger among men, relying on the strength of his own arms, will dwell fearlessly in the forest as if in his own palace"
yasyeṣupadamāsādya vināśam yānti śatravaḥ |
katham na pR^thivī tasya śāsane sthātumarhati || 2-44-13
13. yasya = Whose; ishhupadam = aim of arrows; aasaadya = obtains;yaanti = getting into; vinaasham = destruction; shatrvaH = of enemies; tasya = in such Rama's; shaasane = rule; katham = why; pR^ithivii = earth; naarhati = cannot; sthaatum = be stable?"
"How can earth cannot be under the command of Rama, to whose aim of arrows, the enemies fall an easy prey?"
yā śrīḥśauryam ca rāmasya yā ca kalyāṇasatvatā |
nivṛttāraṇyavāsaḥ svaṃ kṣipram rājyamavāpsyati || 2-44-14
14. yaa = which; shriiH = splendor; raamasya = of Rama; yaa = which; shouryamcha = velour; kalyaana sattvataa = the beneficent strength that resides in him; avaapsyati = will procure; saH = that Rama; svam raajyam = his own kingdom; kshhipram = soon; nivR^ittaaraNya vaasaH = after completion of his exile in the forest."
"The splendor endowed with Rama, the valor that is in him and the beneficent strength that resides in him lead one to believe that when he completes the term of his exile in the forest, he will speedily regain his kingdom."
sūryasyāpi bhavetsūryohyagneragniḥ prabhoḥ prabhoḥ |
śriyaśca śrīrbhavedagryā kīrtyāḥ kṣamākṣamā || 2-44-15
daivatam daivatānām ca bhūtānām bhūtasattamaḥ |
tasya kehyaguṇā devi vane vā pyathavā pure || 2-44-16
15;16. devi = Oh; Kausalya!; bhavet = He becomes; suuryaH = illuminator; suuryasyaapi = of even the sun; agniH = fire; (revealer) ; agneH = of fire; prabhuH = the ruler; prabhoH = of rules; shriiH = the splendor; shriyashcha = of splendor; agryaa = the foremost; kiirtiH = glory(essence); kiirtyaaH = of glory; kshhamaa kshhamaa = the forbearance of forbearance; daivatam = the god; daivataanaam = of gods; bhuutasattamaH = the foremost being; bhuutaanaam = of beings. ke hi = Indeed what; aguNaaH = handicaps(for him); vanevaapi = in the forest; athavaa = or; pure = in Ayodhya?"
"Oh, Kausalya! Rama is the illuminator of even the sun, fire of fire, the ruler of rules, the splendor of splendor, the foremost glory of glory, the forbearance of forbearance, the god of gods and the foremost being of all the beings. Indeed, what handicaps are there for him in the forest or in Ayodhya?"
pṛthivyā saha vaidehyā śriyā ca puruṣa ṛṣabhaḥ |
kṣipram tisṛbhir etābhiḥ saha rāmaḥ abhiṣekṣyate || 2-44-17
17. raamaH = Rama; purushharrshhabhaH = the best among men; abhishhekshyate = will be installed on the throne; kshhipram = soon; pR^ithivyaasaha = along with the Mother Earth(the consort of Lord Vishnu); vaidehyaa = Sita(princess of Vaideha kingdom)shriyaacha = and Lakshmi (the goddess of Fortune another consort oh Vishnu)"
"Rama the best among men will be installed on the throne soon along with the Mother Earth (the consort of lord Vishnu), Sita the princess of Videha kingdom and Lakshmi ( the goddess of fortune another consort of Vishnu)"
duhkhajam visṛjanti asram niṣkrāmantam udīkṣya yam |
samutsrakṣyasi netrābhyām kṣipram ānandajam payaḥ || 2-44-18
kuśacīradharam devam gacchantamaparājitam |
sītevānugatā lakṣmīstasya kim nāma durlabham || 2-44-19
18;19. udikshhya = Seeing; yam = which Rama; nishhkraamantam = departing; sarve = all; janaaH = the people; ayodhyaam = in Ayodhya; shoka vega samaahataaH = smitten as they were with upsurge of grief; visR^ijanti = shedding; ashruH = tears; duHkhajam = born of agony; devam = which Rama; gachchhantam = is departing; kushachiira dharam = clad in a garment of the sacred Kusa grass; anugataa = followed by; lakshmiH = the goddess of fortune; siiteva = as Sita; tasya = for such Rama; kimnaama = which; durlabham = is difficult to obtain?"
"Seeing Rama departing, all the people in Ayodhya smitten as they were with upsurge of grief shed tears born of agony. The goddess of fortune as Sita followed the invincible hero even as he departed for the forest, clad in a garment of the sacred Kusa grass. Indeed, what can be difficult for him to obtain?"
dhanurgrahavaro yasya bāṇakhaḍgāstrabhṛtsvayam |
lakṣmaṇovrajati hyagre tasya kim nāma durlabham || 2-44-20
20. lakshmanaH = Lakshmana; dhanurgraha varaH = the best among the holders of bow; svayam = himself; baaNa khadgaastrabhR^it = wearing arrows; sword and missiles; vrajati = walking ; agre = in front; yasya = of whom; tasya = to that Rama; kimnaama = what is ;durlabham = difficult to obtain?"
"What can be difficult to obtain for, to whose front indeed walks Lakshmana himself the best among the holders of bow wielding arrows, sword and missiles?"
nivṛttavanavāsam tam draṣṭāsi punarāgatam |
jahiśokam ca moham ca devi satyam bravīmi te || 2-44-21
21. devi = oh; Kausalya! ; drashhTaasi = you can see; tam = that Rama; aagatam = when he comes; punaH = again; nivRitta vanavaasam = having completed the period of dwelling in the forest. jahi = abandon; shokamcha = grief ; mohamcha = and infatuation; braviimi = I tell; te = you; satyam = the truth "
"Oh, Kausalya! I tell you the truth : you can see Rama coming back, on having completed the term of his exile in the forest . Abandon grief and infatuation."
śirasā caraṇāvetau vandamānamanindite |
punardrakṣyasi kalyāṇi! putraṃ candramivoditam || 2-44-22
22. kalyaaNi = Oh; auspicious Kausalya! anindite = the irreproachable one! Drakshhyasi = you will be able to see; putram = your son; chandramiva = like the moon; uditam = who has risen; vandamaanam = saluting respectfully; etou = these; charaNou = feet; sirasaa = with the head."
"Oh, auspicious Kausalya, the irreproachable one! You will be able to see your son, like the rising moon, saluting respectfully your feet, by bowing his head."
punaḥ praviṣṭam dR^ṣṭvā tamabhiṣiktam mahāśriyam |
samutsrakṣyasi netrābhyām kṣipramānndajam payaḥ || 2-44-23
23. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam = that Rama; mahaashhriyam = with great splendor pravishhTam = appearing ; punaH = again; abhishhiktam = having been coroneted; samutsryakshhasi = you will be shedding ; kshhipram = soon; payaH = tears; aanandajam = born of joy; netraabhyaam = from your eyes."
"Seeing Rama shining with great splendor appearing before you again, having been coroneted, you will be shedding soon tears of joy from your eyes "
mā śoko devi duḥkham vā na rāame dṛahyRW.aśivam |
kṣipram drakṣyasi putram tvam sasītam saha lakṣmaṇam || 2-44-24
24. devi = Oh; Kausalya! maa = Do not have; shokaH = grief; duHkhamvaa = or uneasiness. ashivam = Ill luck; na dR^ishyate = is not being seen; raame = in Rama; tvam = you; drakshhyasi = will be able to see; kshhipram = soon; putram = your son; sa siitam = along with Sita; saha lakshhmaNam = together with Lakshmana."
"Oh, Kausalya! Do not have uneasiness or grief. Rama has no ill luck. You will be able to see soon your son along with Sita, accompanied by Lakshmana".
tvayā śeṣoo janaścaiva samāśvāsyo yadā.anaghe |
kimidānīmidam devi karoṣi hṛdi viklabam || 2-44-25
25. devi = "Oh; queen; anaghe = the faultless! Yadaa = Whereas; janaH = people; samaashvaasaH = are to be consoled; tvayaa = by you; idaaniim = now; karoshhi = you are promoting; viklabam = grief; hR^idi = in your heart ; kim = what ; idam = is this ?"
"Oh, the faultless queen! While people are to be consoled by you at this moment, why are you fostering grief in your heart?"
nārhā tvam śocitum devi yasyāste rāghavassutaḥ |
na hi rāmātparo loke vidyate satpathe sthitaḥ || 2-44-26
26. devi = oh; queen! YasyaaH = which; te = to you; raaghavaH = Rama; sutaaH = is your son; tvam = you as such; naarhaa = are not deserving; shochitum = to aggrieve. navidyate = None is there; loke = in the world; paraH = other; raamaat = than Rama; sthitaH = who is established; satpathe = in right path."
"Oh,queen! You, whose son is Rama, ought not to grieve, for none is established in right path in the world than Rama."
abhivādayamānam tam dṛṣṭvā sasuhṛdam sutam |
mudā aśru mokṣyase kṣipram megha lekā iva vārṣikī || 2-44-27
27. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam sutam = that son; sa suhR^idam = along with friends ; abhivaadamaanau = saluting; mokshhyase = you will be shedding; ashru = tears; mudaa = with joy; kshhipram = soon; megharekheva = like a line of clouds; vaarshhikii = belonging to rainy season "
"Seeing your son saluting with his friends, you will at once begin to shed tears, like a line of clouds in a rainy season"
putraḥ te varadaḥ kṣipram ayodhyām punar āgataḥ |
pāṇibhyām mṛdupīnābhyām caraṇau pīḍayiṣyati || 2-44-28
28. te putraH = Your son; varadaH = who is the bestower of boons; kshhipram = soon; punaraagataH = returning; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; piidayishhyati = will press; charaNou = your feet; paaNibhyaam = with his hands; mR^idu piinaabhyaam = which are gentle but muscular."
"Your son the bestower of boons, will soon return to Ayodhya, and touch your feet with his gentle but muscular hands "
abhivādya namasyantam śūram sasuhṛdam sutam |
mudāsraiḥ prokṣyasi punarmegharāji rivācalam || 2-44-29
29. sutam = your son; shuuram = the hero; sa suhR^idam = along with his friends; abhivaadya = saluting respectfully; namasyantam = in adoration; prokshhyasi = you will sprinkle; astraiH = tears; mudaa = with joy; achalamiva = like on a mountain; megharaajiH = by a line of clouds."
"When your son the hero along with his friends salute you respectfully in adoration, you will sprinkle tears of joy in the same way as a line of clouds pour rain on the mountain."
āśvāsayantī vividhaiśca vākyai |
rvākyopacāre kuśalānādyā |
rāmasya tām mātaramevamuktvā |
devī sumitrāvirarāma rāmā || 2-44-30
30. sumitra = Sumitra; devii = the queen; kushalaa = skilled; vaakyopachaare = in employment of words; anavadyaa = who is faultless; raamaa = and charming; evam = thus; aashvaasayantii = consoled; raamasya = Rama's; taam maataram = that mother; uktvaa = by speaking; vividhaiH = with various; vaakyaiH = words; viraraama = and stopped.
Sumitra the queen, skilled in her employment of words, who is faultless and charming, thus consoled Rama's mother with various words and finally stopped speaking.
niśamya tal lakṣmaṇa mātṛ vākyam |
rāmasya mātur nara deva patnyāḥ |
sadyaḥ śarīre vinanāśa śokaḥ |
śarad gataḥ meghaiva alpa toyaḥ || 2-44-31
31. nishamya = after hearing; tat = those; lakshmanamaatru vaakyam = words of Lakshmana's mother; shokaH = the agony; raamasya maatuH = of Rama's mother; naradeva patnyaaH = and the wife of Dasaratha; sadyaH = quickly; vinanaasha = disappeared; shariire = in her body; megha iva = like a cloud; alpatoyaH = with a little water ; sharadgataH = disappears in autumn .
Hearing those words of Sumitra the mother of Lakshmana, the agony of Kausalya Rama's mother and the wife of Dasaratha quickly disappeared in the same way as an autumnal cloud with a little water in it disappears quickly.
- - -
iti vālmīki rāmāyaṇe ādi kāvye ayodhya kāṇḍe catuścatvāriṃśaḥ sargaḥ
Thus completes 44th chapter in the AyodhyaKanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2002, K. M. K. Murthy