Establishing the greatness of Rama, Sumitra of gracious speech, assuages Kausalya's grief.
vilapantiim tathaa taam tu kausalyaam pramada uttamaam |
idam dharme sthitaa dharmyam sumitraa vaakyam abraviit || 2-44-1
1. sumitraa = Sumitra; sthitaa = devoted; dharma = to righteousness; abraviit = spoke; idam vaakyam = these words; dharmam = which were virtuous; taam kausalyaam = to that Kausalya; vilapantiim = who was wailing; tathaa = thus; pramadottamaam = and who was best among women.
Sumitra, who was devoted to righteousness spoke the following words, which were virtuous, to the celebrated Kausalya, the foremost among women, who had been wailing as aforesaid
tava aarye sad guNaiH yuktaH putraH sa puruSha uttamaH |
kim te vilapitena evam kR^ipaNam ruditena vaa || 2-44-2
aarye = "Oh; the venerable one! tava = your; saH putraH = that son Rama; yuktaH = is endowed with; sadguNaiaH = excellent virtues; purushhottamaH = and foremost among men; kim = what is the use in; te = your; vilapitena = lamenting; evam = thus; ruditenavaa = or weeping ; kR^ipaNam = piteously?"
"That son of yours, oh the venerable one, is endowed with excellent virtues and is the foremost among men. What is the use in your lamenting in this way or in weeping piteously?"
yaH tava aarye gataH putraH tyaktvaa raajyam mahaa balaH |
saadhu kurvan mahaatmaanam pitaram satya vaadinaam || 2-44-3
shiShTaiH aacarite samyak shashvat pretya phala udaye |
raamaH dharme sthitaH shreShTho na sa shocyaH kadaacana || 2-44-4
3;4. aarye = Oh; noble lady! yaH = Which; tava putraH = your son; mahaabalaH = having mighty strength; kurvan = proving;apitaram = his father; mahaatmaanam = the high-soled; saadhu = perfectly;satyavaadinam = true-speaking; tyaktvaa = by renouncing; raajyam = the throne; sthitaH = standing firmly; dharme = in righteousness; aacharite = which is practiced; shashvat = always; samyak = perfectly;sishhyaiH = by disciples; phalodaye = which gives fruits; pretya = even after death; saH = that; raamaH = Rama; shreshhTaH = the most excellent; na kadaachana = never; shochya = deserves to be lamented. "
"Oh, noble lady! Your son is having mighty strength. He proved his high- soled father perfectly truthful by renouncing his throne. He stood firmly in righteousness, which is always practiced perfectly by disciples and which gives fruits even after death. That Rama, the most excellent man, never deserves to be lamented."
vartate ca uttamaam vR^ittim lakShmaNo asmin sadaa anaghaH |
dayaavaan sarva bhuuteShu laabhaH tasya mahaatmanaH || 2-44-5
5. lakshhmaNaH = Lakshmana; anaghaH = the faultless man; dayavaan = and the compassionate man; sarva bhuuteshhu = towards all beings; sadaa = always; vartate = conducts; vR^ittim = his behaviour; uttamaam = excellently;asmin = in the case of Rama. LaabhaH = It is beneficial; tasya = to him(Rama); mahaatmanaH = the high-soled man."
"Lakshmana, the faultless man and the compassionate man towards all beings, always renders the best form of service to Rama. His conduct is beneficial to the high-soled Rama."
araNya vaase yad duhkham jaanatii vai sukha ucitaa |
anugacchati vaidehii dharma aatmaanam tava aatmajam || 2-44-6
6. "vaidehi = Sita; sukhochitaa = who was habituated to comforts; jaanatiivai = even after knowing; duHkham = the pain; yat = whatever; anugachchhati = is accompanying; tava = your; aatmajam = son; dharmaatmaanam = the virtuous soled."
Sita, who was habituated to comforts, even after knowing the pain whatsoever, is accompanying your virtuous- soled son."
kiirti bhuutaam pataakaam yo loke bhraamayati prabhuH |
dama satya vrata paraH kim na praaptaH tava aatmajaH || 2-44-7
7. yaH = Who; prabhuH = the capable man; bhramayati = fluttering; pataakam = the banner; kiirti bhuutaam = of fame; loke = in the world; tava aatmajaH = that son of yours; dharmaHsatyavrata paraH = who is engrossed in virtue and is pledged to the vow of truthfulness; kim = what; na praptaH = has not been secured(by him)?"
"What has not been secured by your capable son, who is rich in virtue and is engrossed in the vow of truthfulness, and the banner of whose fame flutters though out the world?"
vyaktam raamasya viGYaaya shaucam maahaatmyam uttamam |
na gaatram a.nshubhiH suuryaH samtaapayitum arhati || 2-44-8
8. viG^yaaya = Having known; shoucham = purity; uttamam = and the mighty; maahaatmayam = magnanimity; raamasya = of Rama; suuryaH = the sun; vyaktam = will assuredly; na arhati = not be able; santaapayitum = to torment; gaatram = his body; amshubhiH = with his rays."
"Having known the purity and magnanimity of Rama , the sun assuredly will not be able to torment Rama's body with his rays."
shivaH sarveShu kaaleShu kaananebhyo vinihsR^itaH |
raaghavam yukta shiita uShNaH seviShyati sukho anilaH || 2-44-9
9. shivaH = Auspicious; sukhaH = and delightful; anilaH = breeze; yuktashiitoshhNaH = of moderate heat and cold; viniHsR^itaH = blowing; kaananebhyaH = from woods; sarveshhu kaaleshhu = at all times; sevishhyati = will render service; raaghavam = to Rama."
"Auspicious and delightful breeze of moderate heat and cold, blowing from woods at all times , will render service to Rama"
shayaanam anagham raatrau pitaa iva abhipariShvajan |
rashmibhiH sa.nspR^ishan shiitaiH candramaa hlaadayiShyati || 2-44-10
10. samspR^ishan = gently touching;rashmibhiH = with its rays; shiitaaiH = which are cool; shayaanam = when he is reposing; raatrou = at night; abhiparishhvajan = and embracing him ; piteva = like his father; chandraH = the moon; ahlaadayishhyati = will refresh him."
"Gently touching with its cool rays when he is reposing at night and embracing him like a father, the moon will refresh Rama"
dadau ca astraaNi divyaani yasmai brahmaa mahaa ojase |
daanava indram hatam dR^iShTvaa timi dhvaja sutam raNe || 2-44-11
sa shuuraH purushhavyaaghraH svabaahubalamaashritaH |
asantrasto.a pyaraNyastho veshmaniiva nivatsyati || 2-44-12
11;12. dR^ishhTvaa = Seeing; timidhvajasutam = Subahu; the son of Shambarasura; daanavendram = the chief of demons ; hatam = being killed; raNe = in battle; brahmaa = Brahma ;the god of creation; dadan = gave; yasmai = to which Rama; mahanjase = the man with great splendor; divyaani = the celestial ; astraaNi = weapons; saH = that Rama; shuuraH = the hero; purushha vyaaghraH = and the tiger among men; aashritaH = relying; svabaahubalam = on the strength of his own arms; nivatsyasi = will dwell; asantrastaH = fearlessly; araNyastho. api = even when living in the forest; veshmamiiva = as his own palace."
"Formerly, when Rama killed Subahu the son of Sambarasura the chief of demons, Brahma being delighted , gave celestial weapons to Rama, the man with great splendor. Rama the hero and the tiger among men, relying on the strength of his own arms, will dwell fearlessly in the forest as if in his own palace"
yasyeshhupadamaasaadya vinaasham yaanti shatravaH |
katham na pR^thivii tasya shaasane sthaatumarhati || 2-44-13
13. yasya = Whose; ishhupadam = aim of arrows; aasaadya = obtains;yaanti = getting into; vinaasham = destruction; shatrvaH = of enemies; tasya = in such Rama's; shaasane = rule; katham = why; pR^ithivii = earth; naarhati = cannot; sthaatum = be stable?"
"How can earth cannot be under the command of Rama, to whose aim of arrows, the enemies fall an easy prey?"
yaa shriiHshauryam cha raamasya yaa cha kalyaaNasatvataa |
nivR^ittaaraNyavaasaH svaM kshipram raajyamavaapsyati || 2-44-14
14. yaa = which; shriiH = splendor; raamasya = of Rama; yaa = which; shouryamcha = velour; kalyaana sattvataa = the beneficent strength that resides in him; avaapsyati = will procure; saH = that Rama; svam raajyam = his own kingdom; kshhipram = soon; nivR^ittaaraNya vaasaH = after completion of his exile in the forest."
"The splendor endowed with Rama, the valor that is in him and the beneficent strength that resides in him lead one to believe that when he completes the term of his exile in the forest, he will speedily regain his kingdom."
suuryasyaapi bhavetsuuryohyagneragniH prabhoH prabhoH |
shriyashcha shriirbhavedagryaa kiirtyaaH kshamaakshamaa || 2-44-15
daivatam daivataanaam cha bhuutaanaam bhuutasattamaH |
tasya kehyaguNaa devi vane vaa pyathavaa pure || 2-44-16
15;16. devi = Oh; Kausalya!; bhavet = He becomes; suuryaH = illuminator; suuryasyaapi = of even the sun; agniH = fire; (revealer) ; agneH = of fire; prabhuH = the ruler; prabhoH = of rules; shriiH = the splendor; shriyashcha = of splendor; agryaa = the foremost; kiirtiH = glory(essence); kiirtyaaH = of glory; kshhamaa kshhamaa = the forbearance of forbearance; daivatam = the god; daivataanaam = of gods; bhuutasattamaH = the foremost being; bhuutaanaam = of beings. ke hi = Indeed what; aguNaaH = handicaps(for him); vanevaapi = in the forest; athavaa = or; pure = in Ayodhya?"
"Oh, Kausalya! Rama is the illuminator of even the sun, fire of fire, the ruler of rules, the splendor of splendor, the foremost glory of glory, the forbearance of forbearance, the god of gods and the foremost being of all the beings. Indeed, what handicaps are there for him in the forest or in Ayodhya?"
pR^ithivyaa saha vaidehyaa shriyaa ca puruSha R^iShabhaH |
kShipram tisR^ibhir etaabhiH saha raamaH abhiShekShyate || 2-44-17
17. raamaH = Rama; purushharrshhabhaH = the best among men; abhishhekshyate = will be installed on the throne; kshhipram = soon; pR^ithivyaasaha = along with the Mother Earth(the consort of Lord Vishnu); vaidehyaa = Sita(princess of Vaideha kingdom)shriyaacha = and Lakshmi (the goddess of Fortune another consort oh Vishnu)"
"Rama the best among men will be installed on the throne soon along with the Mother Earth (the consort of lord Vishnu), Sita the princess of Videha kingdom and Lakshmi ( the goddess of fortune another consort of Vishnu)"
duhkhajam visR^ijanti asram niShkraamantam udiikShya yam |
samutsrakShyasi netraabhyaam kShipram aanandajam payaH || 2-44-18
kushachiiradharam devam gachchhantamaparaajitam |
siitevaanugataa lakshmiistasya kim naama durlabham || 2-44-19
18;19. udikshhya = Seeing; yam = which Rama; nishhkraamantam = departing; sarve = all; janaaH = the people; ayodhyaam = in Ayodhya; shoka vega samaahataaH = smitten as they were with upsurge of grief; visR^ijanti = shedding; ashruH = tears; duHkhajam = born of agony; devam = which Rama; gachchhantam = is departing; kushachiira dharam = clad in a garment of the sacred Kusa grass; anugataa = followed by; lakshmiH = the goddess of fortune; siiteva = as Sita; tasya = for such Rama; kimnaama = which; durlabham = is difficult to obtain?"
"Seeing Rama departing, all the people in Ayodhya smitten as they were with upsurge of grief shed tears born of agony. The goddess of fortune as Sita followed the invincible hero even as he departed for the forest, clad in a garment of the sacred Kusa grass. Indeed, what can be difficult for him to obtain?"
dhanurgrahavaro yasya baaNakhaDgaastrabhR^itsvayam |
lakshmaNovrajati hyagre tasya kim naama durlabham || 2-44-20
20. lakshmanaH = Lakshmana; dhanurgraha varaH = the best among the holders of bow; svayam = himself; baaNa khadgaastrabhR^it = wearing arrows; sword and missiles; vrajati = walking ; agre = in front; yasya = of whom; tasya = to that Rama; kimnaama = what is ;durlabham = difficult to obtain?"
"What can be difficult to obtain for, to whose front indeed walks Lakshmana himself the best among the holders of bow wielding arrows, sword and missiles?"
nivR^ittavanavaasam tam drashhTaasi punaraagatam |
jahishokam cha moham cha devi satyam braviimi te || 2-44-21
21. devi = oh; Kausalya! ; drashhTaasi = you can see; tam = that Rama; aagatam = when he comes; punaH = again; nivRitta vanavaasam = having completed the period of dwelling in the forest. jahi = abandon; shokamcha = grief ; mohamcha = and infatuation; braviimi = I tell; te = you; satyam = the truth "
"Oh, Kausalya! I tell you the truth : you can see Rama coming back, on having completed the term of his exile in the forest . Abandon grief and infatuation."
shirasaa charaNaavetau vandamaanamanindite |
punardrakshyasi kalyaaNi! putraM chandramivoditam || 2-44-22
22. kalyaaNi = Oh; auspicious Kausalya! anindite = the irreproachable one! Drakshhyasi = you will be able to see; putram = your son; chandramiva = like the moon; uditam = who has risen; vandamaanam = saluting respectfully; etou = these; charaNou = feet; sirasaa = with the head."
"Oh, auspicious Kausalya, the irreproachable one! You will be able to see your son, like the rising moon, saluting respectfully your feet, by bowing his head."
punaH pravishhTam dR^shhTvaa tamabhishhiktam mahaashriyam |
samutsrakshyasi netraabhyaam kshipramaanndajam payaH || 2-44-23
23. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam = that Rama; mahaashhriyam = with great splendor pravishhTam = appearing ; punaH = again; abhishhiktam = having been coroneted; samutsryakshhasi = you will be shedding ; kshhipram = soon; payaH = tears; aanandajam = born of joy; netraabhyaam = from your eyes."
"Seeing Rama shining with great splendor appearing before you again, having been coroneted, you will be shedding soon tears of joy from your eyes "
maa shoko devi duHkham vaa na raaame dR^iahyRW.ashivam |
kshipram drakshyasi putram tvam sasiitam saha lakshmaNam || 2-44-24
24. devi = Oh; Kausalya! maa = Do not have; shokaH = grief; duHkhamvaa = or uneasiness. ashivam = Ill luck; na dR^ishyate = is not being seen; raame = in Rama; tvam = you; drakshhyasi = will be able to see; kshhipram = soon; putram = your son; sa siitam = along with Sita; saha lakshhmaNam = together with Lakshmana."
"Oh, Kausalya! Do not have uneasiness or grief. Rama has no ill luck. You will be able to see soon your son along with Sita, accompanied by Lakshmana".
tvayaa sheshhoo janashcaiva samaashvaasyo yadaa.anaghe |
kimidaaniimidam devi karoshhi hR^idi viklabam || 2-44-25
25. devi = "Oh; queen; anaghe = the faultless! Yadaa = Whereas; janaH = people; samaashvaasaH = are to be consoled; tvayaa = by you; idaaniim = now; karoshhi = you are promoting; viklabam = grief; hR^idi = in your heart ; kim = what ; idam = is this ?"
"Oh, the faultless queen! While people are to be consoled by you at this moment, why are you fostering grief in your heart?"
naarhaa tvam shochitum devi yasyaaste raaghavassutaH |
na hi raamaatparo loke vidyate satpathe sthitaH || 2-44-26
26. devi = oh; queen! YasyaaH = which; te = to you; raaghavaH = Rama; sutaaH = is your son; tvam = you as such; naarhaa = are not deserving; shochitum = to aggrieve. navidyate = None is there; loke = in the world; paraH = other; raamaat = than Rama; sthitaH = who is established; satpathe = in right path."
"Oh,queen! You, whose son is Rama, ought not to grieve, for none is established in right path in the world than Rama."
abhivaadayamaanam tam dR^iShTvaa sasuhR^idam sutam |
mudaa ashru mokShyase kShipram megha lekaa iva vaarShikii || 2-44-27
27. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam sutam = that son; sa suhR^idam = along with friends ; abhivaadamaanau = saluting; mokshhyase = you will be shedding; ashru = tears; mudaa = with joy; kshhipram = soon; megharekheva = like a line of clouds; vaarshhikii = belonging to rainy season "
"Seeing your son saluting with his friends, you will at once begin to shed tears, like a line of clouds in a rainy season"
putraH te varadaH kShipram ayodhyaam punar aagataH |
paaNibhyaam mR^idupiinaabhyaam charaNau piiDayishhyati || 2-44-28
28. te putraH = Your son; varadaH = who is the bestower of boons; kshhipram = soon; punaraagataH = returning; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; piidayishhyati = will press; charaNou = your feet; paaNibhyaam = with his hands; mR^idu piinaabhyaam = which are gentle but muscular."
"Your son the bestower of boons, will soon return to Ayodhya, and touch your feet with his gentle but muscular hands "
abhivaadya namasyantam shuuram sasuhR^idam sutam |
mudaasraiH prokshyasi punarmegharaaji rivaachalam || 2-44-29
29. sutam = your son; shuuram = the hero; sa suhR^idam = along with his friends; abhivaadya = saluting respectfully; namasyantam = in adoration; prokshhyasi = you will sprinkle; astraiH = tears; mudaa = with joy; achalamiva = like on a mountain; megharaajiH = by a line of clouds."
"When your son the hero along with his friends salute you respectfully in adoration, you will sprinkle tears of joy in the same way as a line of clouds pour rain on the mountain."
aashvaasayantii vividhaishcha vaakyai |
rvaakyopachaare kushalaanaadyaa |
raamasya taam maataramevamuktvaa |
devii sumitraaviraraama raamaa || 2-44-30
30. sumitra = Sumitra; devii = the queen; kushalaa = skilled; vaakyopachaare = in employment of words; anavadyaa = who is faultless; raamaa = and charming; evam = thus; aashvaasayantii = consoled; raamasya = Rama's; taam maataram = that mother; uktvaa = by speaking; vividhaiH = with various; vaakyaiH = words; viraraama = and stopped.
Sumitra the queen, skilled in her employment of words, who is faultless and charming, thus consoled Rama's mother with various words and finally stopped speaking.
nishamya tal lakShmaNa maatR^i vaakyam |
raamasya maatur nara deva patnyaaH |
sadyaH shariire vinanaasha shokaH |
sharad gataH meghaiva alpa toyaH || 2-44-31
31. nishamya = after hearing; tat = those; lakshmanamaatru vaakyam = words of Lakshmana's mother; shokaH = the agony; raamasya maatuH = of Rama's mother; naradeva patnyaaH = and the wife of Dasaratha; sadyaH = quickly; vinanaasha = disappeared; shariire = in her body; megha iva = like a cloud; alpatoyaH = with a little water ; sharadgataH = disappears in autumn .
Hearing those words of Sumitra the mother of Lakshmana, the agony of Kausalya Rama's mother and the wife of Dasaratha quickly disappeared in the same way as an autumnal cloud with a little water in it disappears quickly.
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye ayodhya kaaNDe chatushchatvaariMshaH sargaH
Thus completes 44th chapter in the AyodhyaKanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2002, K. M. K. Murthy