The ladies of the royal gymnasium lament over the exile of Rama and others. The citizens of Ayodhya also are reduced to a miserable plight. All Nature mourns at Rama's departure.
तस्मिंस्तु पुरुषव्याघ्रे विनिर्याति कृताञ्जलौ |
आर्तशब्दोऽथ सम्जज्ञे स्त्रीणामन्तह्पुते तदा || २-४१-१
1. tadaa = then; tasmin = that Rama; purushhavyaaghre = the tiger among men; kR^itaaNjalou = having paid obeisance with joined palms; viniryaati = departed; atha = moreover ; aartha shabdaH = a great cry of distress ;samjaG^ye = arose ;striiNaam = among women ; antaHpure = of inner apartments.
As Rama the tiger among men, having paid obeisance with joined palms departed, a great cry of distress arose among women of inner apartments.
अनाथस्य जनस्य अस्य दुर्बलस्य तपस्विनः |
यो गतिम् शरणम् च आसीत् स नाथः क्व नु गच्चति || २-४१-२
2. kvanu = Where; saH naathaH = is he the Lord; gachchhati = going; yaH = who; gataH = was the path ; aasiit = who became; sharaNamcha = the protector ;asya Janasya = of these people; anaathasya = who are defenseless ; durbalasya = weak; tapasvinaH = and unhappy."
Where is he going, who was the path, who became the protector of the people, who are now defenseless weak and unhappy?"
न क्रुध्यति अभिशस्तः अपि क्रोधनीयानि वर्जयन् |
क्रुद्धान् प्रसादयन् सर्वान् सम दुह्खः क्व गच्चति || २-४१-३
3. kvachit = where; gataH = has he gone; kR^idhyati = who was not angry; abhishapto. api = even if accused ; varjayan = who resolved; krodhaniiyaani = every misunderstanding; prasaadayan = who propitiated; sarvaan = all those; kruddhaan = who were angry; samaduHkaH = by sharing their suffering?"
"Where has he gone, who was not angry even when provoked, who resolved every misunderstanding and who propitiated all those who were angry by sharing their suffering?
कौसल्यायाम् महा तेजा यथा मातरि वर्तते |
तथा यो वर्तते अस्मासु महात्मा क्व नु गच्चति || २-४१-४
4. yaH = which Rama; mahaatejaH = having great splendor; yathaa = in which manner; vartate = was treating; kausalyaayaam = Kausalya; maatari = his mother; tathaa = in the same manner; vartate = was treating; Asmaasu = us; kvanu = where; mahaatmaa = that great-souled Rama; gachchhati = has gone?"
That illustrious and great-souled Rama, who treated us with the same reverence he paid to his own mother, where has he gone?"
कैकेय्या क्लिश्यमानेन राज्ञा संचोदितः वनम् |
परित्राता जनस्य अस्य जगतः क्व नु गच्चति || २-४१-५
5. kvanu = Where; gachchhati = has he gone; paritraataa = (he) the protector; asya = of these; janasya = people; jagataH = and the world; samachoditaH = driven; vanam = to the forest; raaG^yaa = by the king; klishyamaanena = tormented; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi"
"Where has he gone, he the protector of the people and the whole world, driven to the forest by the king, goaded on by Kaikeyi? ''
अहो निश्चेतनो राजा जीव लोकस्य सम्प्रियम् |
धर्म्यम् सत्य व्रतम् रामम् वन वासो प्रवत्स्यति || २-४१-६
6. raajaa = the king; nishchetanaH = is a senseless man. Aho = Alas! pravastyati = he has sent away from home; vanavaase = to dwell in forest; raamam = Rama; sampriyam = the very beloved man; dharmyam = the pious minded; satyavratam = strictly truthful .
"Alas! In his folly, the king has banished the virtuous the beloved and the strictly truthful Rama to the forest!"
इति सर्वा महिष्यः ता विवत्साइव धेनवः |
रुरुदुः चैव दुह्ख आर्ताः सस्वरम् च विचुक्रुशुः || २-४१-७
8. iti = thus; sarvaaH = all; taaH mahishhyaH = those queens; rurudushchaiva = shed their tears; duhkhaartaaH = in grief; dhenavaH iva = like unto cows; vivatsaaH = deprived of their calves; vichukrushuH = cried out; sasvaram = in loud noise.
Thus did all the queens lament, like unto cows deprived of their calves and in there affection cried out loudly.
स तम् अन्तः पुरे घोरम् आर्त शब्दम् मही पतिः |
पुत्र शोक अभिसम्तप्तः श्रुत्वा च आसीत् सुदुह्खितः || २-४१-८
8. saH mahiipatH = that king; putrashokaabhisantaptaH = profoundly afflicted by the departure of his son; aasiit = became; suduHkhitaH = increasingly depressed; shrutvaa = after hearing; tam = that; ghoram = terrible; aarta shabdam = crying sound; antaHpure = in the private apartments.
Hearing those terrible crying sounds in the private apartments, the king profoundly afflicted by the departure of his son, became increasingly depressed.
न अग्नि होत्राणि अहूयन्त सूर्यः च अन्तर् अधीयत |
व्यसृजन् कवलान् नागा गावो वत्सान् न पाययन् || २-४१-९
9. agnihotraaNi = sacrificial fires; naahuuyanta = were not performed; gR^ihamethinaH = house-holders; naapachan = did not cook their food.; prajaaH = people; na aakurvan = did not do; kaaryam = (their )act .suuryashcha = even the sun antaradhiiyata = disappeared .
On the departure of Rama to the forest, the sacred fires were no longer performed, no house holder prepared food, the people did not do their acts and even the sun went into eclipse.
व्यसृजन् कबलान्नागा गावो वत्सान्न पाययन् |
पुत्रम् प्रथमजम् लब्ध्वा जननी नाभ्यनन्दत || २-४१-१०
10. naagaaH = Elephants; vyasR^ijan = threw out; kabalaan = the morsels of food (they had taken into their mouths ) gaavaH = Cows; na paayayan = did not give suck; vatsaan = to their calves; jananii = mother; naabhyanandata = did not rejoice; labdhvaa = for having got; putram = a son; prathamajam = born for the first time .
Elephants threw out the morsels of food they had taken into their mouths. Cows did not give suck to their calves. Mother did not rejoice, for having got a son born for the first time.
त्रिशन्कुर् लोहित अन्गः च बृहस्पति बुधाव् अपि |
दारुणाः सोमम् अभ्येत्य ग्रहाः सर्वे व्यवस्थिताः || २-४१-११
11. trishankuH = Trisanku; lohitaaN^gashcha = Lohitanga; Brihaspati budhaavapi = Brihaspati as also Budha; sarve = all; grahaaH = planets; daaruNaaH = assumed harshness; abhyetya = got; vyavasathitaaH = stayed; samam = with the moon.
Trisanku, Lohintanga, Brihaspati as also Budha and all other planets assumed a menacing aspect and got stayed with the moon.
नक्षत्राणि गत अर्चीम्षि ग्रहाः च गत तेजसः |
विशाखाः च सधूमाः च नभसि प्रचकाशिरे || २-४१-१२
12. nakshhatraaNi = Stars; gataarchiimshhi = ceased to twinkle; grahaashcha = planets; gatachetasaH = were deprived of their splendour; vishaakhaastu = The stars of Visakha; prachakaashire = appeared; nabhasi = in the heaven; sadhuumaaH = veiled in mist.
Stars ceased to twinkle. Planets were deprived of their splendour. The stars of Visakha appeared in the heaven, veiled in the mist.
कालिकानिलवेगेन महोदधिरिवोत्थितः |
रामे वनम् प्रव्रजिते नगरम् प्रचचाल तत् || २-४१-१३
13. mahodadhiH = The great ocean; utthitaH = rose; kaalikaanilavegena = as by a speed of a long-lasting tempest; raame = (while) Rama; pravrajite = went; vanam = to the forest; tat nagaram = that city; prachachaala = was shaken.
The great ocean rose, as by a speed of a long-lasting tempest. While Rama went to the forest, that city was shaken.
दिशः पर्याकुलाः सर्वा स्तिमिरेणेव सम्वृताः |
न ग्रहो नापि नक्षत्रं प्रचकाशे न किंचन || २-४१-१४
14. sarvaaH = All; dishaH = the cardinal points;paryaakulaaH = having been disturbed;samvR^itaaHiva = were like covered timireNa = by darkness ; grahaaH = planets; naprakaashe = did not become visible; na = nor; nakshhatramapi = even the stars; na = nor; kimcha = any other.
All the cardinal points, having been disturbed, were covered by darkness. Planets did not become visible, nor the stars nor any other thing in heaven.
अकस्मान् नागरः सर्वो जनो दैन्यम् उपागमत् |
आहारे वा विहारे वा न कश्चित् अकरोन् मनः || २-४१-१५
15. sarvaaH = All; janaH = the people; naagaraH = belonging to the city; akasmaat = suddenly; upaagamat = became; dainyam = apathetic. na kashchit = No one; akarot = made; manaH = mind; aahaare vaa = in either food; vihaare vaa = or in pastime.
All the people of the city suddenly became apathetic. No one was interested in either food or in pastime.
शोकपर्यायसन्तप्तः सततं दीर्घमुच्छ्वसन् |
अयोध्यायाम् जनः सर्वः शुशोच जगतीपतिम् || २-४१-१६
16. sarvaaH = All; janaH = the people; ayodhyaayaam = in Ayodhya; shokaparyaayasamtaptaH = afflicted by grief in succession; satatam = with a perpetual;diirgham = long;uchchhvasan = sighs;shushocha = bewailed;jagatiipatim = about(the departure of)the Lord of the earth.
All the people of Ayodhya, afflicted by grief in succession, heaved profound and burning sighs and bewailed about the departure of the Lord of the earth.
बाष्प पर्याकुल मुखो राज मार्ग गतः जनः |
न हृष्टः लक्ष्यते कश्चित् सर्वः शोक परायणः || २-४१-१७
17. janaH = The people; raajamaarga gataH = in the king's way; bhaashhpa paryaakula mukhaH = were having distressed faces filled with tears. nakashchit = No one; lakshhyate = appeared; hR^ishhTaH = rejoicing.sarvaaH = All; shoka paraayaNaH = were possessed by grief.
The people in the king's way were wearing distressed faces filled with tears. No one appeared rejoicing. All were possessed by grief.
न वाति पवनः शीतः न शशी सौम्य दर्शनः |
न सूर्यः तपते लोकम् सर्वम् पर्याकुलम् जगत् || २-४१-१८
18. pavanaH = The wind;na vaati = was not blowing; shiitaH = coolly; shashii = The moon; na = did not; soumyadarshanaH = appear beneficient; suuryaH = the sun; na tapate = did not give out warmth; lokam = to the earth.sarvam = The entire; jagat = world; paryaakulam = was in disorder.
The wind was not blowing coolly. The moon did not appear beneficient. The sun did not give out warmth to the earth. The entire world was in disorder
अनर्थिनः सुताः स्त्रीणाम् भर्तारः भ्रातरः तथा |
सर्वे सर्वम् परित्यज्य रामम् एव अन्वचिन्तयन् || २-४१-१९
19. sutaaH = Sons; bhartaaraH husbands; anarthinaH = did not ask for; striiNaam = the women; tathaa = and; bhraataraH = brothers; anarthinaH = did not enquire (of their sisters); sarve = all; parityajaya = gave up; sarvam = everything; anvachintayan = thinking of; raamam eva = Rama alone.
Sons did not ask for their mothers and husbands did not ask for their wives. Brothers did not enquire about their sisters. All gave up every thing and thought of Rama alone.
ये तु रामस्य सुहृदः सर्वे ते मूढ चेतसः |
शोक भारेण च आक्रान्ताः शयनम् न जुहुस् तदा || २-४१-२०
20. tadaa = Then; raamasya = Rama's; ye = which; suhrudaH = ownfriends; te sarve = all of them; muudhachetasaH = bewildered in mind; aakraantaaH = overwhelmed; shoka bhaareNa = by the weight of their agony; na jahuH: did not abandon; shayanam = their beds.
Then, all of Rama's own friends were bewildered in mind and the weight of their agony overwhelmed them. They did not leave their beds.
ततः तु अयोध्या रहिता महात्मना |
पुरंदरेण इव मही सपर्वता |
चचाल घोरम् भय भार पीडिता |
सनाग योध अश्व गणा ननाद च || २-४१-२१
21. tataH = Thereafter; ayodhyaa = the city of Ayodhya; rahitaa = bereft of; mahaatmanaa = the great souled Rama; mahiiva = like the earth; saparvataa = with mountains; rahitaa = abandoned by; purandhareNa = Indra; the lord of rain; chachaala = was shaken;ghoram = terribly;bhaya shoka piiditaa = afflicted by fear and grief;sanaagayodhaashvagaNaaH = the city filled with elephants; warriors and horses;nanaadacha = made a roaring sound.
Afflicted by fear and grief, the earth with its mountains, deprived of that great souled Rama, suffered a terrible convulsion, as when it is abandoned by Indra the lord of rain, and a great uproar reigned in the city which was filled with elephants, warriors and horses.
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अयोध्य काण्डे एकचत्वारिंशः सर्गः
Thus completes 41th chapter in the AyodhyaKanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2002, K. M. K. Murthy