Dasaratha decides to coronate Rama as the prince the next day. He asks Sumantra to bring Rama to his presence once again. After Rama arrives, Dasaratha expresses to Rama his desire to anoint Rama as a prince the very next day. He cites various bad dreams and inauspicious signs as the reason for his haste. Rama thus informed by his father, goes to his mother's house and informs her of the good news. Kausalya becomes delighted at the news and gives Rama her blessings.
gateṣvatha nṛpo bhūyaḥ paureṣu saha mantribhiḥ |
mantrayutvā tataścakre niścayajñaḥ sa niścayam || 2-4-1
śva eva puṣyo bhavitā śvo.abhiṣecyastu me sutaḥ |
rāmo rājīvatāmrākṣo yauvarājya iti prabhuḥ || 2-4-2
1;2. atha = after; paureshhu = citizens; gateshhu satsu = had been leaving; nR^ipaH = king Dasaratha; nishchayaGYaH = (who is an excellent) decision maker; prabhuH = (and who is) efficient; bhuuyaH = again; mantrayitvaa = conferred; mantribhiH saha = with ministers; chakre = made; nishchayam = decision; iti = thus; shvaH eva = tomorrow only; bhavitaa = will be; pushhyaH = Pushya constellation; me sutaH = my son; raamaH = Rama; raajiivataamraakshaH = who has eyes like red lotus; abhishhechyaH = can be anointed; yauvaraajye = for princely hood; shvaH = tomorrow.
After the citizens left, Dasaratha who was efficient in taking decisions pertaining to place and time of ceremonies, again conferred with the ministers and decided thus: "Tomorrow will be a day when the constellation of Pushya would be in the ascendant. My son Rama, who has eyes like red lotus, can be crowned as a prince tomorrow".
athāntargṛhamāsādya rājā daśarathastadā |
sūtamāmantrayāmāsa rāmaṃ punarihānaya || 2-4-3
3. atha = Afterwards; raajaa dasarathaH = king Dasaratha; aasaadya = got (into); antargR^iham = inner palace; tadaa = (and) then; aamantrayaamaasa = ordered; suutam = the charioteer Sumantra; aanaya = bring; raamam = Rama; punaH = again; iha = here.
Thereafter, king Dasaratha entered the inner palace and then ordered Sumantra thus, "Bring Rama again here".
pratigṛhya sa tadvākyaṃ sūtaḥ punarupāyayau |
rāmasya bhavanaṃ śīghraṃ rāmamānayituṃ punaḥ || 2-4-4
4. pratigR^ihya = Receiving; tat = those; vaakyam = words; saH = that; suutaH = charioteer Sumantra; punaH = again; upaayayau = got (to); raamasya = Rama's; bhavanam = house; sheeghram = immediately; aanayitum = to bring; raamam = Rama; punaH = once more.
Obeying the king's words, Sumantra went to Rama's house immediately to bring Rama once again.
dvāḥsthairāveditaṃ tasya rāmāyāgamanaṃ punaḥ |
śrutvaiva cāpi rāmastaṃ prāptaṃ śaṅkānvito.abhavat || 2-4-5
5. tasya = His; aagamanam = arrival; punaH = again; aaveditam = was informed; raamaaya = to Rama; dvaaH sthaiH = by doorkeepers; shrutvaa cha api eva = and as soon as Rama heard; tam = his (Sumantra's); praaptam = arrival; raamaH = Rama; shaN^kaanvitaH abhavat = became doubtful (about the reason for his arrival again.)
The doorkeepers informed Rama that Sumantra had come again. Hearing that, Rama was uncertain as to the reason for Sumantra's arrival again.
praveśya cainaṃ tvaritaṃ rāmo vacana mabravīt |
yadāgamanakṛtyaṃ te bhūyastadbhruhyaśeṣataḥ || 2-4-6
6. raamaH = Rama; tvaritam = soon; praveshya enam cha = allowed him to enter and; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = (these) words; bruuhi = tell; asheshhataH = completely; tat = that; yat = for what; te aagamana kR^ityam = purpose is your arrival.
Rama immediately allowed Sumantra inside and spoke these words to him: "Tell me completely the purpose of your arrival again."
tamuvāca tataḥ sūto rājā tvāṃ draṣṭu micchati |
śrutvā pramāṇamatra tvaṃ gamanāyetarāya vā || 2-4-7
7. tataH shrutvaa = After hearing that; suutaH = the charioteer Sumantra; uvaacha = spoke; tam = to him; raajaa = king Dasaratha; ichchhati = wants to; drashhTum = see; tvaam = you; tvam = you; pramaaNam = decide (in your mind); atra = in this; gamanaaya = to go; vaa itaraaya = or otherwise.
Hearing those words, Sumantra said: "King Dasaratha wants to see you. Decide yourself in this matter whether to proceed to your father or otherwise".
iti sūtavacaḥ śrutvā rāmo.atha tvarayānvitaḥ |
prayayau rājabhavanaṃ punardraṣṭuṃ nareśvaram || 2-4-8
8. raamaH = Rama; shrutvaa = hearing; iti = thus; suutavachaH = the word of charioteer Sumantra; tvarayaa anvitaH = with swiftness; atha = thereafter; prayayau = went; raajabhavanam = to royal palace; drashhTum = to see; nareshvaram = Lord of people Dasaratha; punaH = again.
Rama, after hearing Sumantra's words, started immediately and went to the royal palace to see king Dasaratha, the Lord of people, again.
taṃ śrutvā samanuprāptaṃ rāmaṃ daśaratho nṛpaḥ |
praveśyāmāsa gṛhaṃ vivakṣuḥ priyamuttamam || 2-4-9
9. shrutvaa = hearing; tam = that; raamam = Rama; samanupraaptam = has arrived; dasaratha nR^ipaH = king Dasaratha; praveshayaamaasa = allowed him to enter; gR^iham = the house; vivakshuH = to tell; uttamam = excellent; priyam = affectionate (word).
Hearing Rama to have arrived, king Dasaratha allowed him to come into the house, to tell him an excellent and affectionate word.
praviśnnepa ca śrīmān rāghavo bhavanaṃ pituḥ |
dadarśa pitaraṃ dūrāt praṇipatya kṛtāñjliḥ || 2-4-10
10. shriimaan = the glorious; raaghavaH = Rama (lit. scion of Raghu); pravishanneva = soon after entering; pituH = father's; bhavanam = house; dadarsha = saw; pitaram = (his) father; duuraat = from a distance; praNipatya = (and) fell prostrate before him; kR^itaanJNjaliH = with joined palms.
The glorious Rama, soon after entering his father's house, saw his father from a distance and fell prostrate before him in an act of submission, with his palms joined together.
praṇamantaṃ samutthāpya taṃ pariṣvajya bhūmipaḥ |
pradiśya cāsmai ruciramāsanaṃ punarabravīt || 2-4-11
11. bhuumipaH = king Dasaratha (lit. lord of earth); samutthaapya = lifted; tam = him; praNamantam = who was lying prostrate; parishhvajya = embraced; pradishya cha = and offered; ruchiram = (a) beautiful; aasanam = seat; asmai = to him; abraviit = (and) spoke; punaH = again.
Dasaratha lifted Rama up and took him into his embrace. Then, he offered a beautiful seat to Rama and spoke to him as follows:
rāma vṛddho.asmi dīrghāyurbhuktā bhogā mayepsitāḥ |
annvadbhiḥ kratuśtaistatheṣṭaṃ bhūridakṣiṇaiḥ || 2-4-12
12. raama = Oh Rama; diirghaayuH = (having) lived long; vR^iddhaH asmi = I have become aged; bhogaaH = luxuries; iipsitaH = desired; mayaa = by me; bhuktaaH = have been enjoyed; ishhTaM = holy ceremonies (have been performed); kratushataiH = (through) hundreds of sacrifices; annavadbhiH = (comprising) of food; bhuuridakshiNaiH = (and) of lots of fees (given away to priests performing the sacrifices).
"Oh Rama, I have now become aged after living for a long period. I enjoyed all the luxuries in life, as I desired. I propitiated Gods by performing hundreds of sacrifices, in which food and lots of fees were given away to the officiating priests. "
jātamiṣṭamapatyaṃ me tvamadyānupamaṃ bhuvi |
dattamiṣṭamadhītaṃ ca mayā puruṣasattama || 2-4-13
13. purushhasattama = The best of men; Rama!; adya = now; tvam = you; jaatam = are born; me = to me; anupamam = as an incomparable; ishhTam = (and) beloved; apatyam = child; bhuvi = in the world; dattam = (donations) have been given; ishhTam = holy sacrifices (have been performed); adhiitam cha = and (Vedas and other holy scriptures have been) studied; mayaa = by me.
"O Rama, the best of men! You are now born to me as without an equal on earth and as my beloved child. I had given away lots of donations, I had performed holy rites and I have also studied Vedas and other Holy Scriptures during my life time."
anubhūtāni ceṣṭāni mayā vīra sukhānyapi |
devarṣipitṛviprāṇāmanṛṇo.asmi tathātmanaḥ || 2-4-14
14. viira = Oh; gallant one!; sukhaanyapi = comforts also; anubhuutaam = have been enjoyed; mayaa = by me; ishhTaami = as desired by me; anR^iNaH asmi = (thus) I am without any debts; devarshhi pitR^i vipraaNaam = to celestials; sages; ancestors; brahmanas; tatha = and; aatmanaH = to myself.
"Oh gallant Rama! I also enjoyed all the comforts, as I desired. Thus I am relieved of all debts to the celestials (by performing holy sacrifices), to the sages (by studying Vedas etc.), to my ancestors (by begetting you), to the Brahmans (by giving away donations and food) and to myself (by enjoying all comforts as I desired)."
na kiñcinma kartavyaṃ tavānyatrābhiṣecanāt |
ato yuttvāmahaṃ brūyāṃ tanme tvaṃ kartumarhasi ||2-4-15
15. mama = to me; na kiJNchit = no other; kartavyam = duty; tava abhishhechanaat avyatra = other than anointing you for the crown; ataH = Hence; tvam = you; arhasi = are fit; kartum = to do; tat = that; me = to me; yat = what; aham = I; bruuyaam = tell; tvaaM = you.
"I have no duty other than to anoint you for the crown. Hence, do what I tell you."
adya prakṛtayaḥ sarvāstvāmicchanti narādhipam |
atastvāṃ yuvarājānamabhiṣekṣyāmi putraka || 2-4-16
16. adya = Now; sarvaaH = all; prakR^itayaH = the people; ichchhanti = want; tvaam = you; naraadhipam = as king; putraka = oh; son!; ataH = hence; abhishhekshyaami = can install; tvaam = you; yuvaraajaanam = as prince.
"Now all the people want you to be the king. Hence, I can install you as prince."
api cādyāśubhān rāma svapne pśyāmi dāruṇān |
sanirghātā divolkā ca paratīha mahāsvanā || 2-4-17
17. raama = Oh! Rama; api cha = and; adya = now; pashyaami = I am seeing; daaruNaan = fearful; ashubhaan = (and) inauspicious; svapne = dreams; iha = here; sanirghaataa = thunderous; ulkaa = comet; patati = is falling; mahaasvanaa = with great sound; divaa = during day time.
"Oh, Rama! It is not only the people's desire, but also these days I am getting fearful and inauspicious dreams. Here, thunderous comets are falling with great sound, during day time."
avaṣṭabdhaṃ ca me rāma nakṣatraṃ dāruṇairgrahaiḥ |
āvedayanti daivajñāvḥ sūryāṅgārakarāhubhiḥ || 2-4-18
18. raama = oh! Rama; daivajnaaH = astrologers; aavedayanti = are informing (that); daaruNaiH = fearful; grahaiH = planets; suuryaaN^gaarakaraahubhiH = like sun; Mars and Rahu; avashhTabdham = are encroaching; me = my; nakshatram = natal star.
"Oh, Rama! Astrologers are informing me that fearful planets like Sun, Mars and Rahu are encroaching my birth star."
prāyeṇa hi nimittānāmīdṛśānāṃ samudbhave |
rājā hi mṛtyumāpnoti ghoraṃ vāpadamṛcchati || 2-4-19
19. iidR^ishaanaam = such; nimittaanaam = signs; samudbhave = whenever produced (then); raajaa = king; praayeNa hi = generally; aapnoti = will get; mR^ityum = death; vaa = or; R^ichchhati = will get; ghoram = fearful; aapadam = accident.
"Whenever such inauspicious signs are produced, the king generally will get either death or a fearful accident."
tadyāvadeva me ceto na vimuñcati rāghava |
tāvadevābhiṣiñcasva calā hi prāṇināṃ matiḥ || 2-4-20
20. raaghava = O Rama!; tat = that is why; yaavadeva = while; me = my; chetaH = mind; na vimuJNchati = does not leave (or change); taavadeva = before then; abhishhiJNchasva = get anointed to crown; chalaahi = Is it not unstable; matiH = the mind; praaniNaam = of human beings?
"Oh, Rama! Hence, before my mind gets changed, get you anointed to the crown. Are not the minds of men unstable?"
adya candrobhyupagataḥ puṣyātpūrvaṃ punarvasū |
śvaḥ puṣyayogaṃ niyataṃ vakṣyante daivacintakāḥ || 2-4-21
21. adya = today; chandraH = the moon; abhyupagataH = is getting; punarvasuu = the star of punarvasu; puurvam = earlier to; pushhyaat = the star of pushyami; daivachintakaaH = astrologers; vakshyante = inform that; svaH = tomorrow; pushhyayogam = when the moon joins pushyami star; niyatam = can be fixed (for coronation ceremony).
"Today, the moon is entering the constellation known as Punarvasu which comes before Pushyami star. The astrologers inform that the coronation ceremony can be fixed for tomorrow, when the moon joins Pushyami star."
tataḥ puṣye.abhiṣiñcasva manastvarayatīva mām |
śvastvāhamabhiṣekṣyāmi yauvarājye paraṃtapa || 2-4-22
22. tataH = hence; abhishhiJNchasva = get anointed for the crown; pushhye = on pushyami star; manaH = my mind; tvarayatiiva = is hastening; maam = me; paraMtapa = oh! Annihilator of enemies; aham = I; abhishhekshyaami = shall anoint; tvaa = you; yauva raajye = for princely kingdom; svaH = tomorrow.
"Hence, get anointed for the crown on the day of Pushyami star. My mind is urging me as it were to expedite things. O, annihilator of the enemies! I shall anoint you for the princely kingdom tomorrow."
tasmāttvayādaprabhṛti niśeyaṃ niyatātmanā |
saha vadhvopavastavyā darbhaprastaraśāyinā || 2-4-23
23. tasmaat = That is why; niyataatmanaa = with self control; tvayaa = by you; vadhvaa saha = along with Seetha; the daughter in law; iyam = this; nishaa = night; upavastavyaa = can be fasted; adyaprabhR^iti = from now onwards; darbhaprastara shaayinaa = slept on a mat of Kusha grass.
"That is why, with self control, you along with your wife should observe fast for this night from now onwards, and sleep on a couch made of Kusha grass."
suhṛdaścāpramattāstvāṃ rakṣantvadya samantataḥ |
bhavanti bahuvighnāni kāryāṇyevaṃvidhāni hi || 2-4-24
24. evam vidhaani = such type of; kaaryaaNi = functions; bhavanti hi = are having; bahu vighnaani = many obstacles; adya = today; suhR^idashcha = your friends also; rakshantu = let guard; tvaam = you; apramathaaH = vigilantly; samantataH = from all directions.
"Generally, there are many obstacles for such type of functions. Hence, your friends should guard you vigilantly from all directions."
viproṣitaśca bharato yāvadeva purāditaḥ |
tāvadevābhiṣekaste prāptakālo mato mama || 2-4-25
25. taavadeva = within such time; te = your; abhishhekaH = coronation ceremony; praaptakaalaH = should occur; yaavadeva = before which time; bharataH = Bharata; viproshhitaH = is distant from ; itaH = this; puraat = city; mataH mama = this is my opinion.
"It is my opinion that your coronation function should occur, while Bharata is away from the city."
kāmaṃ khalu satāṃ vṛtte bhrātā te bharataḥ sthitaḥ |
jyeṣṭhanuvartī dharmātmā sānukrośo jitendriyaḥ || 2-4-26
26. te = your; bhraataa = brother; bharataH = Bharata; jyeshhThaanuvartii = goes according to the eldest; dharmaatmaa = (being a ) righteous man; saanukroshaH = compassionate person; jitendriyaH = one who controlled senses; sthitaH = stays; kaamam = verily; sataaM vR^ithe = in the path of good people.
" Bharata, your brother, goes according to his eldest brother. He is righteous, compassionate and has the senses under control. He verily follows the path of good people."
kintu cittaṃ manuṣyāṇāmanityamiti me matiḥ |
satāṃ ca dharmanityānāṃ kṛtaśobhi ca rāghava || 2-4-27
27. raaghava = Oh! Rama; me = my; matiH = opinion (is that); chittam = mind; manushhyaaNaam = of men; anityam iti = is inconstant; kintu = but; dharmanityaanaam = the ever righteous; sataam cha = endowed with goodness; kR^ita shobhi = may act unexpectedly on impulse.
"Oh, Rama! It is my opinion that minds of men are inconstant. But the ever righteous, endowed with goodness, sometimes may act unexpectedly on impulse."
ityuktaḥ soo.abhyanujñātaḥ śvobhāvinyabhiṣecane |
vrajeti rāmaḥ pitaramabhivādyābhyayādgṛham || 2-4-28
28. iti = thus; uktaH = told; abhishhechane = about the coronation ceremony; bhaavini = to happen; svaH = tomorrow; abhyaanujJNaataH = and having been permitted; vraja iti = to go; saH = that; raamaH = Rama; abhivaadya = offered salutations; pitaram = to father; abhyayaat = went; gR^iham = to house.
Dasaratha, after telling in this way about the ensuing coronation ceremony scheduled for the next day, permitted Rama to depart. Rama offered his salutations to his father and went to his house.
praviśya cātmano veśma rājñoddhiṣṭe.abhiṣecane |
tatkṣaṇena ca nirgamya māturntaḥpuraṃ yayau || 2-4-29
29. uddishhTe = After having been decided; abhishhechane = about coronation cermony; raajJNaa = by the king Dasaratha; pravishya = (Rama) entered; aatmanaH = his; veshma = house; tatkshaNena = and immediately; nirgamya = started (and); yayau = went; maatuH antaH puram = (his) mother's queenly palace.
After hearing the decision of Dasaratha regarding coronation ceremony, Rama entered his house and by starting immediately, went to his mother's queenly house.
tatra tāṃ pravaṇāmeva mātaraṃ kṣaumavāsinīm |
vāgyatāṃ devatāgāre dadarśāyācatīṃ śriyam || 2-4-30
30. tatra = there; devataagaare = in the worshipping place; dadarshaa = saw; taam = that; maataram = mother; pravaNaameva = who is in meditation; kshaumavaasinii = who is wearing silk clothes; vaagyataam = in a silent way; ayaachatiim = who is praying; shriyam = goddess Lakshmi.
There, in the queen's worshipping place, Rama saw Kausalya silently in meditation, wearing silk clothes and praying to goddess Lakshmi.
prāgeva cāgatā tatra sumitrā lakṣmaṇa stadā |
sītā cānāyitā śrutvā priyaṃ rāmābhiṣecanam || 2-4-31
31. shrutvaa = hearing; priyam = the good news; raamaabhishhechanam = of Rama's coronation ceremony; sumitraa = Sumitra; lakshmanaH = (and) Lakshmana; aagathaa = came; praageva = even before; siitaa cha = Seetha also; aanaayita = was brought.
Hearing the good news of the coronation ceremony of Rama, Sumitra and Lakshmana came there even before Seetha was brought.
tasmin kāle hi kausalyā tasthāvāmīlitekṣaṇā |
sumitrayānvāsyamānā sītayā lakṣmaṇena ca ||2-4-32
32. tasmin kaale = at that time; kausalya = Kausalya; tasthau = was having; amiilitekshaNa = closed eyes; anvaasyamaanaa = being attended closely ; sumitrayaa = by Sumitra; siitayaa = by Seetha; lakshmaNena cha = and by Lakshmana.
At that time, Kausalya closed her eyes and was in meditation. Along with her, Sumitra, Lakshmana and Seetha were sitting nearby.
śrutvā puṣyeṇa putrasya yauvarājyābhiṣecanam |
prāṇāyāmena puruṣaṃ dhyāyamānā janārdanam || 2-4-33
33. shrutvaa = Hearing; yauvaraajyaabhishhechanam = anointment ceremony for the princely kingdom; putrasya = of (her) son; pushhyeNa = on the day of pushyami star; praaNaayaamena = with controlled breath; dhyaayamaana = was meditating; purushham = lord; janaardanam = Vishnu.
Hearing that her son will be anointed for the princely kingdom on the day of Pushyami star, Kausalya with controlled breath, was meditating on lord Vishnu.
tathā saniyamāmeva so.abhigamyābhivādya ca |
uvāca vacanaṃ rāmo harṣyaṃstāmidaṃ tadā || 2-4-34
34. saH = that; raamaH = Rama; abhigamya = approached; tathaa = such; saniyamaameva = pious observing mother; abhivaadyacha = and offered salutation; tadaa = then; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; taam harshhayan = making her delighted.
Rama approached his mother, even while she was engaged in pious observance, offered salutation and spoke the following words making her delighted.
amba pitrā niyukto.asmi prajāpālanakarmaṇi |
bhavitā śvo.abhiṣeko me yathā mi śāsanaṃ pituḥ || 2-4-35
35. amba = oh! Mother!; niyuktaH asmi = I am appointed; pitra = by father; prajaapaalana karmaNi = for the act of ruling the people; yathaa = as per; saasanam = order; me pituH = of my father; bhavitaa = there will be; me = my; abhishekaH = anointment ceremony; swaH = tomorrow.
"Oh, mother! My father ordered that I should rule the people. As per his orders, there will be anointing ceremony to me tomorrow."
sītayā pyupavastavyā rajanīyaṃ mayā saha |
evamṛtvigupādhyāyaissaha māmuktavān pitā || 2-4-36
36. siitayaapi = by Seetha too; mayaa saha = along with me; iyam = this; rajanii = night; upavastavyaa = can be observed fast; pitaa = father; R^itvigupaadhyaayaiH saha = together with preceptors and teachers; uktavaan = spoke; evam = this; maam = to me.
"Seetha too, along with me should observe fast this whole night. The father together with preceptors and teachers said this to me."
yāni yānyatra yogyāni śvo bhāvinyabhiṣecane |
tāni me maṅgaldānyadya vaidehyāścaiva kāraya || 2-4-37
37. yaani yaani = whatever; maN^gaLaani = auspicious rites; yogaani = suitable; abhishhechane = in anointment ceremony; bhaavini = to occur; svaH = tomorrow; taanikaaraya = get those things done; me = to me; vaidehyaaH chaiva = and to Seetha; adya = today.
"Have all the auspicious rites that are required for the ensuing tomorrow's anointment ceremony, performed to me and to Seetha today."
etacchrutvā tu kausalyā cirakālābhikāṅkṣitam |
harṣbāṣpakalaṃ vākyamidaṃ rāma mabhāṣata || 2-4-38
38. shrutvaa = Hearing; etat = this news of anointment ceremony; chirakaalaabhikaaN^kshitam = which was being desired for a long time; kausalyaa tu = Kausalya; abhaashhata = spoke; raamam = to Rama; idam = these; kalam = sweet sounding; vaakyam = words; harshhabaashhpa = with tears of joy.
Hearing the news of anointment ceremony, which was being desired by her for a long time, Kausalya spoke to Rama the following sweet words with tears of joy in her eyes.
vatsa rāma ciraṃ jīva hatāste paripanthinaḥ |
jñātīnme tvaṃ śriyāyuktaḥ sumitrāyāśca nandaya || 2-4-39
39. vatsa = oh; child!; raama = Rama; jiiva = live; chiraM = long; te = your; paripanthinaH = enemies; hataaH = are destroyed; tvam = you; shriyaa = by your glory; nandaya = make happy; jJNaatiin = cousins; me = of mine; sumitraayaaH cha = and of Sumitra.
"Oh, child Rama! You live a long life! Let your enemies be destroyed! Let the cousins of mine and of Sumitra be made happy by your glory."
kalyāṇe bata nkṣatre mayi jāto.asi putraka |
yena tvayā daśaratho guṇairārādhitaḥ pitā || 2-4-40
40. putraka = o; little son! bata = how much joy! jaataH asi = you were born; mayi = in me; kalyaaNe nakshatre = on a day of an auspicious star; yena = by which; pitaa = father; dasarathaH = Dasaratha; aaraadhitaH = was made delightful; tvayaa = by your; guNaiH = virtues.
"O, my little son! You were born to me on a day of an auspicious star. That is why, your father king Dasaratha was propitiated by your virtues."
amoghaṃ bata me kṣāntaṃ puruṣe puṣkarekṣaṇe |
yeyamikṣvākurājyaśrīḥ putra tvāṃ saṃśrayiṣyati || 2-4-41
41. putra = O; son!; me = my; kshaantam = austerity with endurance; pushhkarekshaNe = to lotus eyed; purushhe = lord Vishnu; amogham = has not gone waste; bata = how much joy! yaa = which; iyam = this one; ikshvaaku raajyashriiH = the glorious kingdom of Ikshvaku dynasty; saMshrayishhyati = is seeking refuge; tvaam = in you.
"O, son! My worship to the lotus eyed Lord Vishnu with endurance has become fruitful. Hence, this glorious kingdom of Ikshvaku dynasty is going to embrace you."
ityevamukto mātredaṃ rāmo bhrātaramabravīt |
prāñjaliṃ prahvamāsīnamabhivīkhsya smayanniva || 2-4-42
42. raamaH = Rama; uktaH = who was spoken to; ityevam = thus; maatraa = by mother; abhiviikshya = saw; bhraataram = brother Lakshmana; aasiinam = siitting; prahvam = humbly; praaJNjalim = with folded palms; abraviit = spoke; smayanniva = smilingly; idam = these words.
Rama, after hearing the words spoken by his mother, saw his brother Lakshmana who was sitting humbly nearby with joined palms and spoke to him smilingly as follows:
lakṣmaṇemāṃ māyā sārdhaṃ praśādhi tvaṃ vasundharām |
dvitīyaṃ me.antarātmānaṃ tvāmiyaṃ śrīrupasthitā || 2-4-43
43. lakshmaNa = O; Lakshmana! tvam = you; prashaadhi = rule; imaam = this; vasundharaam = earth;mayaa saardham = together with me; iyam = this; shriiH = glorious kingdom; upasthitaa = reached; tvaam = you; me = my; dvitiiyam = second; antaraatmaanam = conscience.
"O, Lakshmana! You rule this earth together with me. This glorious kingdom has reached you, who are my second conscience."
saumitre bhuṅkṣva bhogāṃ stvamiṣṭān rājyaphalāni ca |
jīvitaṃ ca hi rājyaṃ ca tvadarthamabhikāmaye || 2-4-44
44. saumitre = O; Laksmana! tvam = you; bhuN^kshva = enjoy; bhogaan = the benefits; raajyaphalaanicha = and fruits of kingdom; ishhTaan = as desired; abhikaamaye hi = I desire; jiivitaM cha = life; raajyaM cha = and kingdom; tvadartham = for you only.
"O, Lakshmana! You enjoy the benefits as desired by you and the fruits of kingdom. I desire to live and even to rule the kingdom but for you."
ityuktvā lakṣmaṇaṃ rāmo mātarāvabhivādya ca |
abhyanujñāpya sītāṃ ca jagāma svaṃ niveśnam || 2-4-45
45. raamaH = Rama; uktvaa = spoke; iti = thus; lakshmaNam = to Lakshmana; abhivaadya cha = offered salutations; maatarau = to both the mothers; abhyanujJNaapya siitaaM cha = got Seetha to obtain permission and; jagaama = went; svam nivesanam = to his house.
Rama, after speaking thus to Lakshmana, offered salutations to both the mothers, got Seetha to obtain permission from them and went to his house along with Seetha.
- - -
|| ityārṣe śrīmad rāmāyaṇe ādikāvye ayodhya kānde caturthaḥ sargaḥ ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy[Revised: May 05]
further information concerning
transferred by Go FTP FREE