Sumantra arranges for a chariot for the travel of Rama, Seetha, and Lakshmana at the orders of Dasharatha. Kingly ornaments are obtained for Seetha. Rama seeks blessings from his mother Kausalya and others too. Kausalya's parting advises to Seetha.
रामस्य तु वचः श्रुत्वा मुनि वेष धरम् च तम् |
समीक्ष्य सह भार्याभी राजा विगत चेतनः || २-३९-१
न एनम् दुह्खेन सम्तप्तः प्रत्यवैक्षत राघवम् |
न च एनम् अभिसम्प्रेक्ष्य प्रत्यभाषत दुर्मनाः || २-३९-२
1;2. shrutvaa = hearing; raamasya = Rama's; vachaH = word; samiikshhyacha = and seeing; tam = him; muniveshhadharam = disguised as hermit; raajaa = the king; bhaaryaabhiH saha = with his wives; vigatachetanaH = lost their consciousness; samtaptaH = consumed; duhkhena = by grief; na pratyavekshhata = he could not behold; evam = thus; raaghavam = Rama; durmanaah = being troubled in mind; na pratyabhaashhata cha = he could not reply; abhisamprekshhya = seeing in the direction of enam = him(Rama).
Hearing Rama's words and seeing him clad in a garb of hermit, king Dasaratha with his wives fell unconscious. Consumed by grief, he could not look towards Rama. Troubled in mind as he was, the king could not speak to Rama by seeing into his face.
स मुहूर्तम् इव असम्ज्ञो दुह्खितः च मही पतिः |
विललाप महा बाहू रामम् एव अनुचिन्तयन् || २-३९-३
3. saH = mahiipatiH = that king; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; asamJNa iva = was unconscious; muhuurtam = for a moment; duHkhitaschcha = felt distressed and; vilalaapa = repented(in various ways) anuchintayan = thinking of raaman eva = Rama alone.
The mighty armed Dasaratha was unconscious for some time, distressed and repented in various ways thinking of Rama alone.
मन्ये खलु मया पूर्वम् विवत्सा बहवः कृताः |
प्राणिनो हिंसिता वा अपि तस्मात् इदम् उपस्थितम् || २-३९-४
4. puurvam = "previously; bahavaH = many people; kR^itaah = were made; vivatsaaH = separated from their children; mayaa = by me; vaapi = or; praaNinaH = living beings; himsitaaH = were killed; tasmaat; hence; manye khalu = I think; idam = this; upasthitam = has come."
"I think that previously many people were separated from their children by me or in any case many living beings were killed. Hence, this (calamity) has befallen me."
न तु एव अनागते काले देहाच् च्यवति जीवितम् |
कैकेय्या क्लिश्यमानस्य मृत्युर् मम न विद्यते || २-३९-५
मो अहम् पावक सम्काशम् पश्यामि पुरतः स्थितम् |
विहाय वसने सूक्ष्मे तापस आच्चादम् आत्मजम् || २-३९-६
5;6. jiivitam = life; nachyavati = does not decamp; dehaat = from the body; tveva = surely; anaagate = without arrival; kaale = of time; nR^ityuH = death; na vidyate = does not claim; mama = me; klishyamaanasya = who am being tormented; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; pashyaami = seeing; aatmajam = my son; paavakasamkaasham = efflugent as fire; purataH sthitam = standing before me; taapasaachchhaadanam = clad in the robes of an ascetic; vihaaya = having cast off; suukshhme = fine; vasane = garments.
"life does not decamp from the body surely without the arrival of time. Death does not claim me, even being tormented by Kaikeyi and eventhough I behold my son, efflugent as fire, standing before me clad in the robes of an ascetic having cast off his fine garments."
एकस्याः खलु कैकेय्याः कृते अयम् क्लिश्यते जनः |
स्व अर्थे प्रयतमानायाः संश्रित्य निकृतिम् त्विमाम् || २-३९-७
7. ayam = janaH = all these people; klishyate = are suffering; kR^ite = on account; ekasyaaH = of only; kaikeyyaaH = Kaikeyi; samshritya = who sought refuge; nikR^itim = in chicanery; prayatamaanaayaaH = with an implicit intent; svaarthe = of selfishness.
"All these people are suffering on account of only Kaikeyi, who sought refuge in chincanery, with an implicit intent of selfishness"
एवम् उक्त्वा तु वचनम् बाष्पेण पिहित ईक्ष्णह |
राम इति सकृद् एव उक्त्वा व्याहर्तुम् न शशाक ह || २-३९-८
8. uktvaa = having uttered; evam = these; vachanam = words; uktvaa = and saying; raameti = "Oh Rama!"; sakR^ideva = only once; na shashaaka ha = he was not able; vyaahaartum = to speak; pihitendriyaH = his organs of voice being choked; bhaashhpena = by tears.
Having uttered these words and saying "Oh, Rama!" only once, he was not able to speak any more, his organs of voice being choked by tears.
सम्ज्ञाम् तु प्रतिलभ्य एव मुहूर्तात् स मही पतिः |
नेत्राभ्याम् अश्रु पूर्णाभ्याम् सुमन्त्रम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || २-३९-९
9. pratilabhyevor = regaining; samJNaam = consciousness; muhuurtaat = after a moment; mahiipatiH = the king; netraabhyaam = with his eyes; ashrupuurNaabhyaam = filled with tears; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; sumantram = to Sumantra.
Regaining consciousness after a moment, the king, with his eyes filled with tears, spoke these words to Sumantra:
औपवाह्यम् रथम् युक्त्वा त्वम् आयाहि हय उत्तमैः |
प्रापय एनम् महा भागम् इतः जन पदात् परम् || २-३९-१०
10. tvam = you; aayaahi = come; ratham = (with a) chariot; oupavaahyam = fit for driving; yuktvaa = yoked; hayottamaiH = with excellent horses; praapaya = and take; evam = this; mahaabhaagam = highly distinguished prince; param = beyond; itaH = this; janapadaat = territory.
"You come with a chariot, fit for driving, yoked with excellent horses and take this highly distinguished prince beyond this territory."
एवम् मन्ये गुणवताम् गुणानाम् फलम् उच्यते |
पित्रा मात्रा च यत् साधुर् वीरः निर्वास्यते वनम् || २-३९-११
11. yat = since; saadhuH = a pious; viiraH = and a valiant (son); nirvaasyate = is being sent to exile; pitraa = by father; maatraacha = and mother; manye = I think; evam = such; uchate = is said (to be); phalam = the reward; guNaanaam = of virtues; guNavataam = of the virtuous.
"Since a pious and a valiant son is being sent to exile by father and mother, I think such is said to be the reward of virtues of the virtueous."
राज्ञो वचनम् आज्ञाय सुमन्त्रः शीघ्र विक्रमः |
योजयित्वा आययौ तत्र रथम् अश्वैः अलम्कृतम् || २-३९-१२
12. sumantraH = Sumantra; aaJNaaya = obeying; vachanam = the words; raaJNa = of the king; shiighra vikramaH = walked away quickly; aayayau = and arrived; tatra = there; yojayitvaa = fitted; ashvaiH = with horses; ratham = a chariot; alakR^itam = duly decorated.
Sumantra obeying the words of the king, walked away quickly and arrived there fitted with horses, a chariot duly decorated.
तम् रथम् राज पुत्राय सूतः कनक भूषितम् |
आचचक्षे अन्जलिम् कृत्वा युक्तम् परम वाजिभिः || २-३९-१३
13. suutaH = the charioteer; aachachakshhe = told; raajaputraaya = the prince; aNjalim kR^itvaa = with joined palms; tam ratham = about that chariot; kanaka bhushhitam = decorated by gold; yuktam = fitted; parama vaajibhiH = with superb horses.
The charioteer told the prince with joined palms about that chariot decorated by gold, fitted wih superb horses.
राजा सत्वरम् आहूय व्यापृतम् वित्त संचये |
उवाच देश कालज्ञो निश्चितम् सर्वतः शुचि || २-३९-१४
14. deshakaalaJNam = who knew proper place and time; nishchitam = who had a decisive attitude; suhuchim = who was clear; sarvatah = by all means; satvaram = quickl; aahuuya = called; vyaapR^itam = an officr; vittasamchaye = in the treasury; uvaacha = spoke(as follows)
The king, who knew what should be done at a proper place and time and was clear by all means, quickly called an officer placed in charge of the treasury and spoke in a decisive tone (as follows);-
वासांसि च महा अर्हाणि भूषणानि वराणि च |
वर्षाणि एतानि सम्ख्याय वैदेह्याः क्षिप्रम् आनय || २-३९-१५
15. kshhipram = quickly; aanaya = bring; vaidehyaaH = for Seetha; vaasaamsicha = clothings; mahaarNaani = of great worth; bhuushhaNaanicha = and ornaments; varaaNi = of high quality; samkhyaaya = considering; etaani = (all) these; varshhaaNi = years (that Seetha has to spend in exile).
"Quickly bring for Seetha, clothings of great worth and ornaments of high quality, taking into consideration all these years (that Seetha has to spend in exile)
नर इन्द्रेण एवम् उक्तः तु गत्वा कोश गृहम् ततः |
प्रायच्चत् सर्वम् आहृत्य सीतायै क्षिप्रम् एव तत् || २-३९-१६
16. tataH = after; uktaH = being spoken; evam = thus; narendreNa = by the king; yatvaa (he) went; koshagR^iham = to the treasury; aahR^itya = brought; sarvam = all; tat = that; samameva = in a lot; praayachchhat = (and) gave; siitaayai = to Seetha.
After thus spoken by the king, the officer went to the treasury, brought all that in a lot and gave to Seetha.
सा सुजाता सुजातानि वैदेही प्रस्थिता वनम् |
भूषयाम् आस गात्राणि तैः विचित्रैः विभूषणैः || २-३९-१७
17. prasthitaa = setting out(as she was); vanam = to the forest; saa vaidehii = that Seetha; sujaataa = of noble birth; bhuushhayaamaasa = adorned; sujaataani = (her) beautiful; gaatraaNi = limbs; vibhuushhaNaiH = with jewels; vichitraiH = which were wonderful.
Setting out as she was to the forest, Seetha of noble birth adorned her beautiful limbs with those wonderful jewels.
व्यराजयत वैदेही वेश्म तत् सुविभूषिता |
उद्यतः अंशुमतः काले खम् प्रभा इव विवस्वतः || २-३९-१८
18. vaidehi = Seetha; suvibhuushhitaa = beautifully adorned; vyaraajayata = illumined; tat veshma = that palace; ahamiva = as the sky; kaale = in the morning; prabhaa = (by) radiance; vivasvataH = of a sun; udyataH = rising.
Seetha, beautifully adorned as she was, illumined that palace, as the sky in a morning is illuminated by a rising sun.
ताम् भुजाभ्याम् परिष्वज्य श्वश्रूर् वचनम् अब्रवीत् |
अनाचरन्तीम् कृपणम् मूध्नि उपाघ्राय मैथिलीम् || २-३९-१९
19. parishhvajya = embracing; bhujaabhyaam = in her arms; maithiliim = that princess of Mithila; anaacharantiim = who never behaved; kR^ipaNam = in self-pity; shvashruuH = her mother in law(Kausalya); upaaghraaya = and smelling; muurdhni = her head(as a token of affection); abraviit = spoke as follows:
Embracing in her arms that princess of Mithila, who never behaved in self-pity, and smelling her head(as a token of affection), her mother-in-law(Kausalya) spoke as follows:
असत्यः सर्व लोके अस्मिन् सततम् सत्कृताः प्रियैः |
भर्तारम् न अनुमन्यन्ते विनिपात गतम् स्त्रियः || २-३९-२०
20. asatyaH = dishonest; striyaH = women; satkR^itaaH = eventhough adored; satatam = all the time; priyaiH = by their husbands; maanumanyate = cease to esteem; bhartaaram = their husband; vinipaatagatam = who has befallen into evil days; asmin sarvaloke = throughout this world.
"Dishonest women, eventhough adored all the time by their husbands, cease to esteem their husband who has come to pass into evil days, throughout this world."
एष स्वभावो नारीणामनुभूय पुरा सुखम् |
अल्पामप्यापदम् प्राप्य दुष्यन्ति प्रजहत्यपि || २-३९-२१
21. anubhuuya = having enjoyed; sukham = happiness; puraa = in the past; dushhyanti = (they) become spoiled; prajahatyapi = and even desert(their husband) praapya = on obtaining; alpaamapi = even the least; aapadam = misfortune; eshhaH = such; svabhaavaH = is the nature; naasiiNaam = of (bad) woman.
"Having enjoyed happiness in the past, they become spoiled and even desert their husband, on obtaining even the least misfortune: such is the nature of (bad) women."
असत्यशीला विकृता दुर्र्गाह्याहृदयास्तथा |
युवत्यः पापसम्कल्पाः क्षणमात्राद्विरागिणः || २-३९-२२
22. yuvatyaH = young women; paapa samkalpaaH = who are evil-minded; asatya shiilaaH = are untruthful in their disposition; vikR^itaaH = affected by passion; tathaa = and; durgraahya hR^idayaaH = their essence; incomprehensible; viraagiNaH = they get aversion; kshhaNamaatraat = within a moment.
"Young women, who are evil-minded, are untruthful in their disposition, are affected by passion and their essence, incomprehensible. They get aversion within a moment."
न कुलम् न कृतम् विद्या न दत्तम् नापि सम्ग्रहः |
स्त्रीणाम् गृह्णाति हृदयमनित्यहृदया हि ताः || २-३९-२३
23. nakulam = neither a noble descent; na kR^itam = nor an accomplishment; vidyaa = nor learning; na dattam = nor a gift; naapi samgrahaH = nor even entertainment; grihNaati = can capture; hR^idayam = the heart; striiNaam = of women; taaH = they are; anitya hR^idayaahi = unstable their heart indeed.
Neither a noble descent, nor an accomplishment, nor learning, nor a gift nor even entertainment can capture the heart of women. They are unstbale of their heart indeed!"
साध्वीनाम् हि स्थितानाम् तु शीले सत्ये श्रुते शमे |
स्त्रीणाम् पवित्रम् परमम् पतिरेको विशिष्यते || २-३९-२४
24. te = but; striiNaam = established; shiile = in good conduct; satye = truthfulness; shrute = sacred learning; shame = and mental quictness; patiH = their husband; ekaH = alone; paramam = is the most; pavitram = sacred entity; vishishhyate = the best of all.
"But, for women established in good conduct, truthfulness, sacred learning and mental quietness, their husband alone is the most sacred entity, the best of all."
स त्वया न अवमन्तव्यः पुत्रः प्रव्राजितः मम |
तव दैवतम् अस्तु एष निर्धनः सधनो अपि वा || २-३९-२५
25. mama = my; saH putraH = this son; pravraajitaH = who is sent to forest; naavamantavyaH = should not be despised; tvayaa = by you; sadhanopi vaa = even if he is with riches or; nirdhanaH = without riches; astu eshhaH = let him be; diavam = a deity; tava = to you.
"My son who is being sent to the forest should not be despised by you. Even if he is invested with riches or without riches, let him be a deity to you."
विज्ञाय वचनम् सीता तस्या धर्म अर्थ सम्हितम् |
कृत अन्जलिर् उवाच इदम् श्वश्रूम् अभिमुखे स्थिता || २-३९-२६
26. viJNaaya = perceiving; tasyaH = her; vachanam = words; dharmaarthasamhitam = endowed with essence of righteousness; kR^itaaNJalaiH = and joining her palms; siitaa = Seetha; uvaacha = replied; shvashruum = to her mother-in-law; sthitaam = standing; abhimukhe = in front of her; idam = as follows:
perceiving her words, endowed with essence of righteousness and joining her palms, Seetha replied to her mother-in-law standing in front of her, as follows:-
करिष्ये सर्वम् एव अहम् आर्या यद् अनुशास्ति माम् |
अभिज्ञा अस्मि यथा भर्तुर् वर्तितव्यम् श्रुतम् च मे || २-३९-२७
27. aham = i; karishhye = shall do; sarvameva = just all; yathaa = as; aaryaa = your venerable self; anushaashi = instructs; maam = me; abhiJNaa = I know; yathaa = how; vartitavyam = it is to be behaved; bhartuH = towards my husband; asmi = I; me = for me; shrutamcha = have also heard(about it)
"I shall do just all that, as your venerable self instructs me. I know how I should behave towards my husband. I have also heard about it earlier."
न माम् असज् जनेन आर्या समानयितुम् अर्हति |
धर्मात् विचलितुम् न अहम् अलम् चन्द्रात् इव प्रभा || २-३९-२८
28. aaryaa = your venerable self; na arhati = is not worthy; samaanayitum = of equating; maam = me; asjjanena = with evil women; naalam = I am unable; vichalitum = to deviate; dharmaat = from virtue; chandraamiva = even as moon; prabhaa = the moonlight.
"Your venerable self is not worthy of equating me with evil women. I am unable to deviate from virtue, even as a moon from the moonlight"
न अतन्त्री वाद्यते वीणा न अचक्रः वर्तते रथः |
न अपतिः सुखम् एधते या स्यात् अपि शत आत्मजा || २-३९-२९
29. viiNaa = Vina(Indian lute); na vaadyate = does not resonate; atantrii = without chords; rathaH = chariot; na vartate = does not move; achakraH = without wheels; yaa = which woman; apatiH = without husband; syaadapi = even perhaps; shataatmajaa = belssed with hundred children; na edheta = will not live in comfor; sukham = happily.
"Vina (Indian lute) does not resonate without chords. Chariot does not move without wheels. Now can a wife bereft of her husband, even if blessed with hundred children, will not lie happily in comfort."
मितम् ददाति हि पिता मितम् माता मितम् सुतः |
अमितस्य हि दातारम् भर्तारम् का न पूजयेत् || २-३९-३०
30. pitaa = "A father; dadaatihi = indeed gives; mitam = a limited extent; maataa = A mother; mitam = in a limited measure; sutah = A son; mitam = in moderation; kaa = which woman; na puujayet = would not adore; bhartaaram = her husband; daataaram = the bestower; amitasya = of unlimitedness."
"A father indeed gives a limited extent, a mother in a limited measure and a son in moderation. Which woman, then, would not adore her husband, the bestower of unlimitedness!"
सा अहम् एवम् गता श्रेष्ठा श्रुत धर्म पर अवरा |
आर्ये किम् अवमन्येयम् स्त्रीणाम् भर्ता हि दैवतम् || २-३९-३१
31. shruta dharma varaavaraa = "having heard about the special and ordinary duties(of a wife); shreshhThaa = from the most excellent women; kim = how; saa aham = can I; evam gataa = despise(my husband?); aarye = Oh; venerable self! bhartaa = husband; daivatam hi = is indeed a deity; striiNaam = to women."
"Having heard about the special and ordinary duties of a wife from the most excellent women, how can I, as such, despise my husband, Oh venerable lady? Husband is indeed a deity to women."
सीताया वचनम् श्रुत्वा कौसल्या हृदयम् गमम् |
शुद्ध सत्त्वा मुमोच अश्रु सहसा दुह्ख हर्षजम् || २-३९-३२
32. shrutvaa = hearing; siitaayaaH = Seetha's vachanam = words; hR^idayaNgamam = which touched her heart; kausalyaa = Kausalya; shuddhasattvaa = of pure mind; sahasaa = suddenly; mumocha = shed; ashru = tears; duHkha harshhajam = born of agony and delight.
Hearing Seetha's words, which touched her heart, Kausalya of pure mind suddenly started shedding tears born of agony and delight.
ताम् प्रान्जलिर् अभिक्रम्य मातृ मध्ये अतिसत्कृताम् |
रामः परम धर्मज्ञो मातरम् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || २-३९-३३
33. raamaH = Rama; parama dharmaatmaa = the most virtuous man; praaNjaliH = joining his palms; abhikramya = approached; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; taam maataram = to that mother; atisatkR^itaam = who is highly respected; maatR^imadhye = among his mothers.
Rama, the most virtuous man, joining his palms, approached and spoke these words to his mother, who is highly respected among all his mothers:
अम्ब मा दुह्खिता भूस् त्वम् पश्य त्वम् पितरम् मम |
क्षयो हि वन वासस्य क्षिप्रम् एव भविष्यति || २-३९-३४
34. amba = Oh; mother! tvam = you; maa bhuuH = do not; duHkhitaa = grieve; tvam = you; pashya = look after; mama pitaram = my father; kshhayaH = the end; vanavaasasya = of exile; bhavishhyati = will come; kshhiprameva = rather soon.
"Oh, mother! You do not grieve. You look after my father. The end of exile will come rather soon."
सुप्तायाः ते गमिष्यन्ति नव वर्षाणि पन्च च |
सा समग्रम् इह प्राप्तम् माम् द्रक्ष्यसि सुहृद् वृतम् || २-३९-३५
35. nava paNchacha = fourteen; varshhaaNi = years; gamishhyanti = will elapse; te = (while) you; suptaayaaH = are asleep; saa = you as such; drakshhyasi = will see; maam = me; sampraaptam = duly arrived; iha = here; samagram = in my entire being; suhR^idvR^itam = surrounded by my well- wishers.
"Fourteen years will elapse, while you are asleep. you as such, will see me, duly arrived here in my entire being, surrounded by my well-wishers."
एतावद् अभिनीत अर्थम् उक्त्वा स जननीम् वचः |
त्रयः शत शत अर्धा हि ददर्श अवेक्ष्य मातरः || २-३९-३६
36. uktvaa = uttering; vachaH = words; etaavat = of such quality; abhiniitaartham = end appropriate meaning; aavekshhya = refelected again; dadarsha = (and) gazed at; trayaH shata shataardhaaH = his three hundred fifty; maataraH cha = mothers also.
Uttering the aforesaid words of such quality and appropriate meaning to his mother, Rama thought once again and gazed at his three hundred and fifty step-mothers.
ताः च अपि स तथैव आर्ता मातृऋर् दशरथ आत्मजः |
धर्म युक्तम् इदम् वाक्यम् निजगाद कृत अन्जलिः || २-३९-३७
37. saH = that; dasharathaatmajaH = Rama; kR^itaaNjaliH = joined his palms; taaH = to those; maatR^iirapi = mothers also; aartaaH = who were distressed; tathaiva = in the same way; nijagaada = and spoke; idam vaakyam = these words; dharmayuktam = which were in consonance with righteousness.
Rama joined his palms and saluted those step mothers also, who were too distressed in the same way and spoke these words which were in consonance with the spirit of righteousness.
सम्वासात् परुषम् किंचित् अज्ञानात् वा अपि यत् कृतम् |
तन् मे समनुजानीत सर्वाः च आमन्त्रयामि वः || २-३९-३८
38. samanujaaniita = excuse; me = me; tat = that; yat = for which reson; kiNchit = a little; parushham = wrong; kR^itam = was done; aJNaanaadvaa = due to ignorance or; samvaasaat = or because of our living together; aamantrayaami = I take leave of; sarvaaH = all; vaH = of you.
"Please excuse me, if I have done any mistake either becuase of our living together or due to ignorance on my part. I now take leave of you all."
वचनम् राघवस्यैतद्धर्मयुक्तम् समाहितम् |
शुश्रुवु स्ताः स्त्रियम् सर्वाः शोकोपहतचेतसः || २-३९-३९
39. sarvaaH = all; taaH = those; striyaH = women; shokopahata chetanaH = whose mind was overpowered with grief; shushruvuH = heard; etat = these; vachanam = words; dharmayuktam = which were in consonance with righteousnes; samaahitam = the cool submission; raaghavasya = of Rama.
All those women, whose mind was overpowered with grief, heard the aforesaid cool submission of Rama, which was in consonance with righteousness.
जज्ञे अथ तासाम् सम्नादः क्रौन्चीनाम् इव निह्स्वनः |
मानव इन्द्रस्य भार्याणाम् एवम् वदति राघवे || २-३९-४०
40. atha = after; raaghave = Rama; vadati = has spoken; evam = thus; sannaadaH = an outery; nisvaH iva = resembling the wail; krauNchiinaam = of female cranes; jaJNe = arose; taasam = (from) those; maanavendrasya bhaaryaaNaam = wives of Dasaratha.
While Rama was speaking thus, an outery, resembling the wail of female cranes arose from those wives of Dasaratha.
मुरज पणव मेघ घोषव |
द्दशरथ वेश्म बभूव यत् पुरा |
विलपित परिदेवन आकुलम् |
व्यसन गतम् तत् अभूत् सुदुह्खितम् || २-३९-४१
41. yat = which; dasharatha veshma = Dasaratha's palace; puurvaa = earlier; murajapaNavamegha ghoshhavat = was resounding with tomtoms; large drum and Meghas(musical instruments which sound like rumbling of clouds); tat = it; abhuut = became; vilapita paridevanaakulam = filled with wails and cries; vyasanagatam = fall on evil days.
Dasaratha' s palace, which was earlier resounding with tomtoms, large drums and Meghas( musical instruments which sound like rumbling of clouds) was now filled with wails and cries and fallen on evil days.
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अयोध्य काण्डे एको न चत्वारिंशः सर्गः
Thus completes 39th chapter of ayodhya Kanda in glorious Valmiki Ramayana, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2002, K. M. K. Murthy