Minister Sumantra requests and reproaches Queen Kaikeyi and asks her to take back her impositions. Even the elderly minister and a scholar named Siddhartha tries to pacify Kaikeyi by telling the legend of Sagara, the ancestor of Dasharatha, quoting the exile of his notorious son Asamanja. But she is adamant to all holy advices, but wants Rama to go to forests.
tato nirdhuuya sahasaa shiro niHshvasva chaasakR^it |
paaNau paaNim vinishhpishhya dantaan kaTakaTaayya cha || 2-35-1
lochane kopasamrakte varNam puurvochitam jahat |
kopaabhibhuutaH sahasaa samtaapamashubham gataH || 2-35-2
manaH samiikshamaaNashcha suuto dasharathasya saH |
kampayanniva kaikeyyaa hR^idayam vaakchharaishshitaiH || 2-35-3
vaakyavajrairanupamairnirbhindanniva chaashugaiH |
kaikeyyaa sarvamarmaaNi sumantraH pratyabhaashhata || 2-35-4
1;2;3;4. tataH = then; sumantraH = Sumantra; suutaH = the charioteer; nirduuya = moving; shiraH = his head; sahasaa = all of a sudden; niHshvasya = sighing; asakR^it = agan and again; vinishhpishhya = rubbing; paaNim = in hand; katakataayyacha = grinding; dantaan = his teeth; lochane kopasamrakte = turning his eyes red with anger; jahat = shedding; puurvochitam = his former; varNam = colour; kopaabhibuutaH = overwhelmed with; sahasaa = suddenly; gataH = getting; samtaapam = grief; ashubham = the evil; samiikshhamaaNashcha = carefully reading; dasharathasya = Dasaratha's; manaH = mind; pratyabhaashhata = spoke(as follows) kampayanniva = spoke(as follows); kaikeyyaaH = Kaikeyi's; hR^idyam = heart; shitaiH vaakchharaiH = with sharp arrows; vaakya vajraiH = in the form of thunderbolting words; ashugaiH = speedily; bhindanniva = piercing; sarva marmaaNi = all her vitals.
Then, moving his head all of a sudden sighing again and again, rubbing his hand in hand, grinding his teeth, turning his eyes red with anger shedding his normal colour, overwhelmed with wrath, suddenly getting the evil grief, carefully reading Dasaratha's mind, sumantra the charioteer spoke(as follows) as though shaking Kaikeyi's heart with sharp arrows, in the form of thunderbolting words speedily peircing all her vitals.
yashyaastava patistyaktoraajaa dasharathaH svayam |
bhartaa sarvasya jagataH sthaavarasya charashya cha || 2-35-5
na hyakaaryatamam ki.nchit tava deviiha vidyate |
5. devi = Oh; Kaikeyi! yasyaaH tava = which your; patiH = husband; raajaa dasharathaH = king Dasaratha; bhartaa = the supporter; sarvasya jagataH = of entire creation; sthaavarasya = the unmoving; tyaktaH = = is betrayed; svayam = on your own; tava = such of you; nahi vidyate = there is indeed nothing; iha = oh earth; kimchit = anything; akaaryatamam = which is most disgraceful.
"There is nothing on earth, anything which is most disgraceful for you by whom your husband king Dasaratha the supporter of the entire creation the unmoving and the moving, is betrayed, Oh, Kaikeyi!"
patighniim tvaamaham manye kulaghniimapi chaantataH || 2-35-6
yanma he.ndramivaajayyam dushhprakampyamivaachalam |
mahodadhimivaakshobhyam santaapayasi karmabhiH || 2-35-7
6;7. aham = I; manye = consider; tvam = you; patighniim = as murderers of your husband; antataH = ultimately; kulaghniimapicha = the exterminator of your race too; yat = for which reason; karmabhiH = by your actions; santaapayasi = you are causing grief(to your husband) ajayyam = who is unconquerable; mahendramiva = as great Indra; dushhkampyam = who cannot be moved; achalamiva = as a mountain; akshhobhyam = who is imperturbable; mahodadhimiva = as a great ocean.
"King Dasaratha is unconquerable as great Indra, unshakable as mountain and imperturbable as a great ocean. By tormenting him with your actions, you are considered by me as murderess of your husband and ultimately the exterminator of your race too."
maavama.nsthaa dasharatham bhartaaram varadam patim |
bharturichchhaa hi naariiNaamputrakoTyaa vishishhyate || 2-35-8
8. maavamamsthaaH = do not despise; dasharatham = Dasaratha; bhartaaram = the supporter; varadam = the bestower of boon; patim = and your husband; naariiNaam = for women; bhartaH = husband's; ichchhaa = will; vishishhyate = is superior; putrakotyaaH = to ten million sons.
"Do not despise Dasaratha the supporter, the bestower of boons and your husband. For women, will of the husband is superior to that of ten million sons."
yathaavayo hi raajyaani praapnuvanti nR^ipakshaye |
ikshvaakukulanaathe.asmi.nstallopayitumichchhasi || 2-35-9
9. nR^ipakshhaye = after the death of a king; raajyaani = kingdoms; prapnuvantihi = are indeed obtained; yathaavayaH = as per the age(of princes) ichchhasi = you want; lopayitum = to deprive; tat = it; asmin ikshhvaakukulanaathe = in this lord Ikshvaku dynasty; Rama.
"After death of a king, kingdoms are obtained as per the age of the princes. But, you want to deprive this condition in the case of Rama the lord of Ikshvaku dynasty."
raajaa bhavatu te putro bharatashshaastu mediniim |
vayam tatra gamishhyaamo raamo yatra gamishhyati || 2-35-10
10. te putraH = "(Let) your son; bhartaH = Bharata; bhavatu = become; raajaa = the king; shastu = let him rule; madiniim = the earth; yatra = wherever; raamaH = Rama; gamishhyati = goes; vayam = we; gamishhyaamaH = shall go; tatra = there."
"Let your son Bharata become the king and rule the earth. wherever Rama goes, we (on our part) shall go there".
na hi te vishhaye kashchidbraahmaNo vastumarhati |
taadR^isham tvamamaryaadamadya karma chikiirshhasi || 2-35-11
11. te vishhaye = In your kingdom; kashchit braahmaNaH = even any brahmana; na arhati hi = cannot indeed; vastum = dwell; tvam = you; chikiirshhasi = want to do; taadR^isham = such; karma = act; adya = now; amaryaadam = transgressing due limits.
"Now any brahmana cannot indeed dwell in your kigdom as now you want to do such an act, transgressing the due limits."
nuunam sarve gamishhyaamo maargam raamanishhevitam |
tyaktaayaa baandhavaiH sarvairbraahmaNaiH saadhubhiH sadaa || 2-35-12
kaa priitii raajyalaabhena tava devi bhavishhyati |
taadR^isham tvamamaryaadam karma kartum chikiirshhasi || 2-35-13
12;13. nuunam = certainly; sarve = all of us; gamishhyaami = will go; maargam = in the way; raamanishhevitam = followed by Rama; devi = Oh queen Kaikeyi! yaa = which you; sadaa = forever; tyaktaa = deserted; baandhanvaiH = by relatives; sarvaiH = by all; brahmaNaiH = brahmanas; saadubhiH = by pious souls; tava = such of you; kaa = what; priitiH = pleasure; bhavishhyati = will be derived; raajya laabhena = through attainment of sovereignity; tvam = you; chikiirshhasi = want; kartum = to do; taadR^isham = such; karma = an act; amaryaadam = of impropriety.
"Certainly, all of us will proceed in the path followed by Rama. Oh, queen Kaikeyi! What pleasure will be derived through attainment of soverignity, when your relatives, all brahmanas and pious souls desert you forever? Now, you want to do such an act of impropriety"
aashcharyamiva pashyaami yasyaaste vR^ittamiidR^isham |
aacharantyaa na vidR^itaa sadyo bhavati medinii || 2-35-14
14. yasyaaH = while you; te = as such; aacharantyaaH = conduct yourself; iidR^isham = such of this; vR^ittam = act; pashyaami = I am looking; aashcharyamiva = with only surprise; medinii = (why) earth; na bhavati = is not; sadya = immediately; vidR^itaa = rent asunder.
"I am looking only with surprise, why the earth is not immediately rent asunder, while you conduct yourself with such an act"
mahaabrahmarshhisR^ishhTaa vaa jvalanto bhiimadarshanaa |
dhigvaagdaNDaNaa na hi.nsanti raamapravraajane sthitaam || 2-35-15
15. dhikvaagdanNdaaH vaa = rods of reproaching words; jvalantaH = which are burning with fire; bhiima darshanaaH = and fearful to look at; mahaabrahmarshhi sR^ishhTaaH = uttered by great brahmana sages; na himsanti = are not killing; sthitaam = you; who have decided; raamapravraajane = to send Rama to exile.
"It is also surprising me why rods of reproaching words fiery and fearful to look at uttered by great brahmana sages are not killing you, who are bent on sending Rama to exile."
aamram chitvaa kuThaarena nimbam paricharettu yaH |
yashchenam payasaa siJNchennaivaasya madhuro bhavet || 2-35-16
16. yaH = who; chhitraa = while cutting down; aamram = a mango tree; kuThaareNa = with axe; paricharettu = nurtures; nimbam = a neem tree; yashcha = who; siNchet = will wet; enam = this neem tree; payasaa = sweet; asya = to him.
"Who will nurture a neem tree, cutting down a mango tree with an axe? And a neem tree will not turn sweet for him who nourishes it with milk."
abhijaatyam hi te manye yathaa maatustathaiva cha |
na hi nimbaatsravetkshaudram loke nigaditam vachaH || 2-35-17
17. manye = I think; abhijaatyam = your nature; by birth; yathaa tathaivacha = is as exactly as; maatuH = a proverb; nigaditam = is quoted; loke = in the world; kshhaudram = "honey; na sraveti hi = does not ooze surely; nimbaat = from a neem tree."
"I think, by birth your nature is as exactly as that of your mother. a proverb is quoted in the world saying that honey does not ooze from a neem tree."
tava maaturasadgraaham vidmaH puurvam yathaashrutam |
pituste varadaH kashchiddadau varamanuttamam || 2-35-18
sarvabhuutarutam tasmaatsamjajJNe vasudhaadhipaH |
tena tiryaggataanaam cha bhuutaanaam viditam vachaH || 2-35-19
18;19. vidmaH = we know; yathaashR^itam = as heard of; puurvam = in the past; tava maataH = your mother's; asadgraaham = evil satisfaction; kashchit = someone; varadaH = capable of giving boons; dadau = bestowed; anuttamam varam = a great boon; te pituH = your father; tasmaat = by it; vasudhaadhipaH = that king; samjaJNe = could identify; sarva bhuutarutam = the language of all created beings; tena = by him; vachaH = the talk bhuutaanaam = of those beings; tiryaggataanaam = belonging to sub-human species; viditam = could be known.
"We know, as heard of in the past, your mother's conduct of evil satisfaction. Someone capable of giving boons, granted a great boon to your father. By that boon he could identify the language of all created beings. The talk of those beings belonging to sub human species could be known by him."
tato jR^imbhasya shayane virutaadbhuurivarchasaa |
pituste vidito bhaavaH sa tatra bahudhaa.ahasat || 2-35-20
20. tataH = then; virutaat = from the sound; jR^imbhasya = of an ant called Jrimbha; shayane = near the bed; bhaavaH = its meaning; viditaH = was deciphered; te pituH = by your father; ahasat = langhed; bahudhaa = repeatedly; tatra = over it.
"From the sound of an ant called Jrimbha near his bed, the meaning of that sound was deciphered by your exceedingly brilliant father and he laughed over it repeatedly."
tatra te jananii kruddhaa mR^ityupaashamabhiipsatii |
haasam te nR^ipate saumya jijJNaasaamiiti bhaabraviit || 2-35-21
21. te jananii = your mother; kR^iddhaa = becoming angry; tatra = over his laugh; abhiipsatii = wishing to; mR^ityupaasham = hang him to death; abraviit = spoke; iti = thus; nR^ipate = "Oh; king; saumya = the gentle sir! jiJNaasaami = I want to know; te haasam = about your laugh.
Your mother, becoming angry over his laugh, wishing even to hand him to death(in case he refuses to disclose the reason for his laughter), spoke thus: "Oh king, the gentle sir! I want to know the meaning of your laughter."
nR^ipashchovaacha taam deviim devi sha.nsaami te yadi |
tato me maraNam sadyo bhavishhyati na sa.nshayaH || 2-35-22
22. nR^ipaschcha = that king; uvaacha = replied; taam deviim = to that queen(as follows): devi = Oh; queen! shamsaamiyadii = If I tell; te = you; maraNam = death; bhavishhyati = will come; me = to me; sadyaH = immediately; tataH = thereafter; na = there is no; samshayaH = doubt.
"The king replied to that queen as follows: "Oh, royal lady! If I tell you the reason of my laughter, my death will immediately follow thereafter. There is no doubt about it."
maataa te pitaram devi tatah kekayamabraviit |
sha.nsa me jiiva vaa maa vaa na maamapahasishhyasi || 2-35-23
23. devi = Oh Kaikeyi! tataH = then; te maataa = your mother; abraviit = spoke; kekayam = Kekaya king; pituram = your father(thus); jiiva vaa = either live; maavaa = or die; shamsa = tell; me = me; na apahisishhasi = do not ridicule; maam = me.
"Your mother then said to your father, the king of Kekayas, Live or die as you will. tell me the laughter. Do not ridicule me."
priyayaa cha tathoktaH san kekayaH pR^ithiiviipatiH |
tasmai tam varadaayaartham kathayaamaasa tattvataH || 2-35-24
24. uktaH san = having been spoken; tathaa = thus; priyayaa = by his beloved consort; kekayaH prithvii patiH = the ruler of Kekaya kingdom; kathayaamaasa = reported; tasmai = to that; varadaaya = bestower of boon; tattvataH = correctly; tam artham = that matter.
Having been spoken thus by his beloved consort, the said king of the Kekayas on his part correctly reported the matter to the sage who had bestowed the boon on him.
tataH sa varadah saadhu raajaanam pratyabhaashhata |
mriyataam dhva.nsataam veyam maa kR^ithaastvam mahiipate || 2-35-25
25. tataH = then; saH saadhuH = that sage; varadaH = who had bestowed the boon; pratyabhaashhataH = replied; rajaanam = to the king(as follows): mahiipate = "Oh; king! iyam = let her; mriyataam = die; dhamsataam vaa = or ruin; tvam = you; maakR^ithaaH = do not persue that course.
Then the sage who had bestowed the boon replied to the king as follows: "Oh, lord of the earth! Let her die or ruin. Do not reveal the reason to her."
sa tachchhrutvaa vachastasya prasannamanaso nR^ipaH |
maataram te nirasyaashu vijahaara kuberavat || 2-35-26
26. shrutvaa = having heard; tat vachaH = the word; tasya = of him; prasanna manasaH = who was pure-minded; saH nR^ipaH = that king; nirasya = repudiated; maataram = your mother; vijahaara = lived happily; kuberavat = like Kubera; the lord of riches.
"Having heard the words of that sage who was pure-minded, the king repudiated your mother and lived happily like Kubera the Lord of riches."
tathaa tvamapi raajaanam durjanaacharite pathi |
asadgraahamimam mohaatkurushhe paapadarshini || 2-35-27
27. paapadarshini = Oh; Kaikeyi; seeing evil(everywhere) tvamapi = you too; tathaa = thus; pathi = in the path; durjanaacharite = trodden by wicked men; kurushhe = are making; imam = this; asadgraaham = bad resolution; mohaat = by igonorance.
"Oh, Kaikeyi, seeing evil everywhere! You, too, thus following the path trodden by wicked men, are making this bad resolution by ignorance."
satyashchaadya pravaado.ayam laukikaH pratibhaati maa |
pitR^uun samanujaayante naraa maataramaN^ganaaH || 2-35-28
28. pratibhaat = It is occuring; maa = about me; adya = now; ayam = this; pravaadaH = saying; laukikaH = which is popular; satyaH = has become true; naraaH = males; samamjaayante = are born; conforming; pitR^iin = to their fathers; aNganaaH = females; maataram = to their mothers.
"The popular saying that males are born confirming to their fathers and females to their mothers, occurs to me as true."
naivam bhava GR^ihaaNedam yadaaha vasudhaadhipaH |
bharturichchaamupaasveha janasyaasya gatirbhava || 2-35-29
29. na bhava = do not become; evam = like this; gR^ihaaNa = understand; idam = that; aha = which is said; vasudhaadhipaH = by the king; upaasva = following; ichchaam = the desire; bhartuH = of your husband; bhava = be; gatiH = a protectress; asya janasya = to these people; iha = here.
Do not conform to the traits of your mother. Understand that which is said by the king. following the desire of your husband, be a protectress to these people here."
maa tvam protsaahitaa paapairdevaraajasamaprabham |
bhartaaram lokabhartaaramasaddharmamupaadadhaaH || 2-35-30
30. protsaahitaa = Incited; paapaiH = by the evil minded; tvam = you; maa upaadadhaaH = do not put before the public; asaddhaarmam = an improper course of conduct; bhartaaram = of your husband; devaraaja samprabham = whose splendour is equal to the king Devendra; lokabhartaaram = and who is a protector of this world.
"Incitedby the evil minded, do not put before the public an improper course of conduct of your husband who spendour is equal to that of king Devendra and who is a protector of this world.
na hi mithyaa pratijJNaatam karishhyati tavaanaghaH |
shriimaandasharatho raajaa devi raajiivalochanaH || 2-35-31
31. devii = Oh; queen! dasharathaH = Dasaratha; anagaH = the faultless man; shriimaan = the Majesty; raajiivalochanaH = the lotus-eyed man; raajaa = the king; nakarishhyati hi = cannot indeed make; mithyaa = untrue; pratiJNaatam = the promise given; tava = to you.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! Dasaratha the faultless man, the majesty, the lotus-eyed man and the king cannot indeed belie the promise given to you(Hence, you alone has to change your opinion)"
jyeshhTho vadaanyaH karmaNyaH svadharmaparirakshitaa |
rakshitaa jiivalokasya balii raamo.abhishhichyataam || 2-35-32
32. raamaH = Rama; jyeshhTaH = the eldest; vadaanyaH = the generous; karmaNyaH = the skilled; svadharma parirakshhitaa = the saviour of one's own righteousness; jiivalokasya = of the world of living being; balii = the strong; abhishhichyataam = be installed on the throne(of Ayodhya).
"Let Rama the eldest(of the sons) who is generous strong skilled, capable of protecting his own duty as Kshatriya but also of protecting the world of living beings, be installed on the throne of Ayodhya"
parivaado hi te devi mahaanloke charishhyati |
yadi raamo vanam yaati vihaaya pitaram nR^ipam || 2-35-33
33. devi = Oh; Kaikeyi! raamaH = Rama; vihaaya = leaving; pitaram = his father; nR^ipam = the king; yaati yadi = and in case goes; vanam = to the forest; mahaan = a great; parivaadaH = accusation; charishhyati = will surely roam; te = about you; charishhyati = in the world.
"Oh, Kaikeyi! A great accusation will surely roam about you in the world, if Rama leaving his royal father goes to the forest.
sa raajyam raaghavaH paatu bhavatvam vigatajvaraa |
na hi te raaghavaadanyaH kshamaH puravare vaset || 2-35-34
34. saH raama = Rama of that king; paatu = should protect; raajyam = the kingdom; bhava = be; tvam = you; vigata jvaraa = free from distres; na vaset = there is no one existing; puravare = in this excellent city; te = of yours; anyaH = other; raamavaat = then Rama; samardhaH = who is competent.
"Let Rama of that character protect this kingdom! Be you free from distress. There is none other than Rama living in your excellent city who is competent to rule this Ayodhya"
raame hi yauvaraajyasthe raajaa dasharatho vanam |
pravekshyati maheshhvaasaH puurvavR^ittamanusmaran || 2-35-35
35. raame = Rama; yauvaraajyasthe = being installed in the office of Price Regent; dasarathaH = Dasaratha; raajaa = the king; maheshhvaasaH = the wielder of the great bow; pravekshhyati hi = will surely have recourse; vanam = to the forest; anusmaran = cherishly recollecting; puurva vR^ittam = the conduct of his forebears.
"In the event of Rama being installe din the office of the prince Regent, King Dasaratha wielder of the great bow will surely have recourse to the forest, cherishly recollecting the conduct of his forebears"
iti saanvaishcha tiikshNai kaikeyiim raajasa.nsadi |
suvantraH kshobhayaamaasa bhuuya eva kR^itaaJNjaliH || 2-35-36
36. iti = Thus; sumantraH = Sumantra; kshhobhaayamaasa = caused a shaking; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi; raajasamsadi = in the royal assemble; saantvaishcha = by his kind words; tikshhNaishcha = as well as his bitter words; bhuuya eva = repeatedly; kR^itaaNjaliH = with joined palms.
Thus, Sumantra repeatedly with joint palms, caused a shaking to Kaikeyi in the royal assmebly, by his kind words as well as bitter words.
naivasaakshubhyate devii na cha sma pariduuyate |
na chaasyaa mukhavarNasya vikriyaa lakshyate tadaa || 2-35-37
37. saa devii = that queen Kaikeyi; naiva kshhubhyate = did not get excted; na pariduuyatesma = was not reapented in her heart; na lakshhyate = nor was seen; vikrayaacha = even change in; asyaaH = her; mukhavarNasya = colour of the face; tada = then.
That queen Kaikeyi, however, was neither excited nor repented in her heart nor was any change observed in the colour of her face.
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye ayodhya kaaNDe pa.nca triMshaH sargaH
Thus completes 35th chapter in Ayodhya Kanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© January 2002, K. M. K. Murthy