Rama comes to see his father Dasharatha and Dasharatha summons Sumantra to fetch all his wives to hither, and asks Rama to stay with him at least for a night. But Rama resolved in his vow, persuades his father to be peaceful. Dasharatha's anguish intensifies and he swoons at the departure of Rama.
tataHkamalapatraakshaH shyaamo nirupamo mahaan |
uvaacha raamastam suutaM pituraakhyaahi maamiti || 2-34-1
1. tataH = thereafter; raamaH = Rama; kamalapatraakshhaH = having eyes resembling lotus leaves; shyaamaH = the dark-brown; coloured man; mahaan = the mighty man; nirupamaH = beyond compare; uvaacha = spoke; tam suutam = to that charioteer; iti = thus; aakhyaahi = "Tell; maam = about me; pituH = to father.
Thereafter, the lotus-eyes Rama, who was dark-brown in complexion and great beyond compare, spoke thus to the charioteer, "Tell about me to my father."
sa raama preShitaH kShipram samtaapa kaluSha indriyaH |
pravishya nR^ipatim suutaH nihshvasantam dadarsha ha || 2-34-2
2. saH suutaH = that charioteer; santaaparkalushhendriyaH = with his senses disturbed by grief; raama preshhitaH = having been sent by Rama; kshhipram = quickly; pravishya = entered; dadarsha ha = and saw; nR^ipatim = the king; niHshvasantam = heaving sighs.
Quickly entering inside, when sent by Rama, the charioteer saw the king having sighs, his senses disturbed by grief.
taTaakamiva nistoyamapashyajjagatiipatim|| 2-34-3
3. apashyat = (he) saw;; jagatiipatim = the king; aadityam iva = resembling a sun; uparaktam = eclipsed; analam iva = like fire; bhasmachchhannam = covered by ash; tataakam iva = as a lake; nistoyam = without water.
He saw the king resembling an eclipsed sun, like fire covered by ash, as a lake without water.
aalokya tu mahaa praaGYaH parama aakula cetasam |
raamam eva anushocantam suutaH praanjalir aasadat || 2-34-4
4. suutaH = the charioteer; mahaapraaJNaH = a great intellectual; aalokyatu = saw; anushochantam = the repenting; varamaakula chetasam = mind greatly agitated; aasadat = approached; praaN^jalaiH = with joined pams.
The charioteer, a great intellectual, saw Dasaratha repenting with his mind greatly agitated and approached him with joined palms.
tam vardhayitvaa raajaanam suutaH puurvam jayaashishhaa|
bhayaviklabayaa vaachaa mandayaa shlakshNamabraviit || 2-34-5
5. suutaH = the charioteer; puurvam = first; vardhayitvaa = inspiring; tam raajaanam = the king; jayaashishhaa = with blessings of triumph; abraviit = spoke; mandayaa = in slow; shlakshhNam = and sweet; vachaa = words; bhaya viklabayaa = overcome with fear.
The charioteer, first inspiring the king with blessings of triumph, spoke thus in a slow and sweet voice, overcome with fear.
ayam sa puruSha vyaaghra dvaari tiShThati te sutaH |
braahmaNebhyo dhanam dattvaa sarvam caiva upajiivinaam || 2-34-6
6. te sutaH = your son; purushhavyaaghraH = tiger among men; saH ayam = as such; dattvaa = having given away; sarvam = all; dhanam = wealth; braahmaNebhyaH = to brahmanas; upajiivinaamchaiva = and dependents; tishhTati = is standing; dvaari = at the gate.
"Your son, the tiger among men, having given away all his wealth to brahmanas and dependents, is waiting at the gate."
sa tvaa pashyatu bhadram te raamaH satya paraakramaH |
sarvaan suhR^idaaapR^icchya tvaam idaaniim didR^ikShate || 2-34-7
7. bhadram = auspiciousness; te = to you! saH raamaH = (let) that Rama; satya paraakramaH = who is truly brave; pashyatu = see; tvaa = you; aapR^ichchhya = after bidding farewell; sarvam suhR^idaH = to all friends; didR^ikshhate = (he) wants to see; tvaam = you; idaaniim = now.
"May auspiciousness betide you! Let that Rama, who is unfailingly brave, see you. After bidding farewell to all friends, he wants to see you now."
gamiShyati mahaa araNyam tam pashya jagatii pate |
vR^itam raaja guNaiH sarvaiH aadityam iva rashmibhiH || 2-34-8
8. jagatiipate = Oh; king! gamishhyati = (He) is seeting out; mahaaraNyam = to a great forest; pashya = see; tam = that Rama; aadityamiva = who is like sun; rashmibhiH = with rays of light; vR^itam = displaying; raajaguNaiH = royal qualities.
"Oh, king! Rama is setting out to a great forest. See him who is resembling a sun with rays of light, displaying royal qualities."
sa satya vaadii dharma aatmaa gaambhiiryaat saagara upamaH |
aakaashaiva niShpanko nara indraH pratyuvaaca tam || 2-34-9
9. saH narendraH = that king Dasaratha; satya vaadii = who speaks truth; dharmaatmaa = a virtuous man; saagaropamaH = who is like an ocean; gaambhiiryaat = by his depth of character; nishhpaNkaH = who is blemish-less; aakaasha iva = like a sky; pratyuvaacha = replied; tam = to him(thus).
That king Dasaratha, who speaks truth, whose mind is virtuous, who is like an ocean by his depth of character and who is blemish less like a sky, replied to Sumantra as follows:
sumantra aanaya me daaraan ye kecit iha maamakaaH |
daaraiH parivR^itaH sarvaiH draShTum icchaami raaghavam || 2-34-10
10. sumantra = Oh; Sumantra! ye kachit = whoever; maamakaaH = my wives; iha = are here; anaya = bring; me daaraan = such of my wives; parivR^itaH = surrounded by; sarvaiH = all; daaraiH = wives; ichchhaami = I want; drashhTum = to see; dhaarmikam = the virtuous Rama.
"Oh, Sumantra! being all my wives, who are here. Surrounded by all of them, I want to see the virtuous Rama."
so antaH puram atiitya eva striyaH taa vaakyam abraviit |
aaryo hvayati vo raajaa gamyataam tatra maaciram || 2-34-11
11. saH = He; atiityaiva = after entering; antaH puram = the gynaecium; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; taaH striyaH = to those women; aaryaaH = "Oh; the venerable ladies! raajaa = the king; hvayati = is calling; vaH = you; gamyataam = go; tatra = there; maa chiram = without delay.
Sumantra, after entering the gynaecium, spoke these words to those women as follows: "Oh, the venerable ladies! The king is calling you. Go there without delay.
evam uktaaH striyaH sarvaaH sumantreNa nR^ipa aaGYayaa |
pracakramus tat bhavanam bhartur aaGYaaya shaasanam || 2-34-12
12. sarvaaH = all; stiyaH = women; uktaaH = spoken; evam = thus; sumantreNa = by Sumantra; nR^ipaaJNayaa = as per king's orders; prachakramaH = moved; tadbhavanam = to his house; aaJNaaya = after knowing; shaasanam = the instruction; bhartuH = of their husband.
All those women, asked thus by Sumantra as per the king's orders, went to his palace, after knowing the instructions of their husband.
ardha sapta shataaH taaH tu pramadaaH taamra locanaaH |
kausalyaam parivaarya atha shanaiH jagmur dhR^ita vrataaH || 2-34-13
13. atha = thereafter; taaH = those; ardha sapta shataaH = three hundred and fifty; pramadaaH = women; dhR^itavrataaH = steadfast in their vow (of devotion to their husband); taamra lochanaaH = having red eyes; parivaarya = encircling; kausalyaam = Kausaly; jagmuH = went; shanaiH = slowly.
Encircling Kausalya, three hundred fifty women, steadfast in their vow(of devotion to their husband), with their eyes reddened, went there slowly.
aagateShu ca daareShu samavekShya mahii patiH |
uvaaca raajaa tam suutam sumantra aanaya me sutam || 2-34-14
14. aagateshhu = after arrival;daareshhu = of wives; raajaa = Dasaratha; mahiipatih = the lord of the earth; samavekshhya = looked; tam suutam = towards that chariorteer; uvaacha = and spoke(thus); sumantra = Oh; Sumantra! aanaya = bring; me sutam = my son.
After arrival of his wives, king Dasaratha spoke to that charioteer as follows, "Oh, Sumantra! Bring my son here."
sa suutaH raamam aadaaya lakShmaNam maithiliim tadaa |
jagaama abhimukhaH tuurNam sakaasham jagatii pateH || 2-34-15
15. tadaa = then; saH suutah = that charioteer; aadaaya = took; raamam = Rama; lakshhmaNam = Lakshmana; maithiliim = and Seetha; tuurNam = speedily; jagaama = went; abhimukhaH = towards; jagatiipataH = the king's sakaasham = presence.
Taking Rama, Lakshmana and Seetha, that charioteer then speedily went to the king's presence.
sa raajaa putram aayaantam dR^iShTvaa duuraat kR^ita anjalim |
utpapaata aasanaat tuurNam aartaH strii jana samvR^itaH || 2-34-16
16. saH raajaa = that king; striijana samvR^itaH = surrounded by women; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; duraat = from a distance; putram = his son; ayaantam = coming; kR^itaaNjalim = with folded hands; aartaH = being distressed; utpapaata = rose; aasanaat = from his seat; tuurNam = swiftly.
King Dasaratha surrounded by women, seeing from a distance his son coming with folded hands, distressed as he was, rose swiftly from his seat.
so abhidudraava vegena raamam dR^iShTvaa vishaam patiH |
tam asampraapya duhkha aartaH papaata bhuvi muurchitaH || 2-34-17
17. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; raamam = Rama; saH = Dasaratha; vishaampatiH = the ruler of people; abhidadraava = ran towards him; vegena = speedily; asampraapya = without reaching; tam = him; papaata = fell; bhuvi = on the floor; muurchhitaH = senseless; duHkhaartaH = afflicted with sorrow.
Seeing Rama, King Dasaratha ran speedily towards him. But without reaching him he fell on the floor senseless, afflicted as he was with sorrow.
tam raamaH abhyapaatat kShipram lakShmaNaH ca mahaa rathaH |
visamGYam iva duhkhena sashokam nR^ipatim tadaa || 2-34-18
18. tadaa = tehn; raamaH = Rama; lakshhmaNashche = and Lakshmana; mahaarathaH = an eminent car-warrior; kshhipram = quickly; abhyapatat = approached; tam nR^ipatim = that king; visamJNam iva = who seemed senseless; duHkhena = with grief; sashokam = through agony.
Then, Rama and Lakshmana an eminent car-warrior, quickly approached that king who seemed unconscious with full of grief as he was, through agony.
strii sahasra ninaadaH ca samjaGYe raaja veshmani |
haahaa raama iti sahasaa bhuuShaNa dhvani muurchitaH || 2-34-19
19. samjaJNe = generated; sahasaa = all at once; raajaveshmani = from the royal palace; striisahasraninaadashcha = sound of thousands of women crying; haa haa raama iti = "Alas! Alas! Oh Rama !" bhuushhaNa dhvanimuurchhitaH = mixed with the sound of tinkling of ornaments.
Sounds of thousands of women crying "Alas! Alas! Oh Rama!" generated all at once from the royal palace, mixed with the sound of tinkling ornaments.
tam pariShvajya baahubhyaam taav ubhau raama lakShmaNau |
paryanke siitayaa saardham rudantaH samaveshayan || 2-34-20
20. tau = those; ubhau = both; raamalakshhmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; siitayaa saardham = along with Seetha; parishhvajya = held; tam = Dasaratha; baahubhyaam = in their arms; rudanta = and crying; samaveshayan = laid him; paryaNke = in the couch.
Holding Dasaratha in their arms and crying, both Rama and Lakshmana along with Seetha laid him on the couch.
atha raamaH muhuurtena labdha samGYam mahii patim |
uvaaca praanjalir bhuutvaa shoka arNava pariplutam || 2-34-21
21. atha = thereafter; raamaH = Rama; bhuutvaa = becoming; praNjaliH = one with folded hands; uvaacha = spoke(as follows) mahiipatim = to king Dasaratha; labdha samJNam = who got consciousness; muhuurtena = within a short time; shokaarNava pariplutam = imundated in a sea of sorrow.
Then, Rama with folded hands spoke thus to king Dasaratha who got consciousness within a short time and who was inundated in a sea of sorrow.
aapR^icche tvaam mahaa raaja sarveShaam iishvaraH asi naH |
prasthitam daNDaka araNyam pashya tvam kushalena maam || 2-34-22
22. mahaara = Oh Emperor! aapR^ichchhe = I am seaking permission; tvaam = from you; asi = you are; iishvaraH = the lord; sarveshhaam = to all; naH = of us; tvam = you; pashya = see; kushalena = auspiciously; maam = towards me; prasthitaH = setting out; daNdakaaraNyam = to the forest of Dandaka.
"Oh, emperor! I take leave of you, who are the lord of all of us. See auspiciously towards me, who am about to leave for Dandaka forest."
lakShmaNam ca anujaaniihi siitaa ca anveti maam vanam |
kaaraNaiH bahubhis tathyaiH vaaryamaaNau na ca icchataH || 2-34-23
23. anujaaniihi = permit; lakshhmaNamcha = Lakshmana also; siitaacha = Seetha too; anveti = is accompanying; maam = me; vanam = to the forest; vaaryamaaNau = even if prevented; bahubhiH = by many; tathyaiH = true; kaaranaiH = reasons; nachaichchhataH = these two are not agreeing.
"Permit Lakshmana also and Seetha too who is accompanying me to the forest. Even if prevented(by me0 on many true reasons, these two are not agreeing to stay behind"
anujaaniihi sarvaan naH shokam utsR^ijya maanada |
lakShmaNam maam ca siitaam ca prajaapatir iva prajaaH || 2-34-24
24. utsR^ijya = giving up; shokam = grief; maanada = Oh; the bestower of honour! anujaaniihi = grant leave; sarvaan = to all; naH = of us; lakshhmaNam = Lakshmana; maameha = myself; sitaamcha = and Seetha; prajaaH iva = as to his sons; prajaapatiH = Brahma.
"Giving up grief, Oh the bestower of honour, grant leave to all of us, Lakshmana myself and Seetha as Brahma(the lord of creation) did to his sons(sanaka and his three brothers who intended to go to forest for practising austerities)."
pratiikShamaaNam avyagram anuGYaam jagatii pateH |
uvaaca rarjaa samprekShya vana vaasaaya raaghavam || 2-34-25
25. samprekshhya = gazing; raaghavam = at Rama; avyagram = who is unruffled; pratiikshhamaaNam = awaiting; anuJNyaam = permission; jagatiipateH = of the king; vanavaasaaya = stay in the forest; raajaa = the king Dasaratha; uvaacha = spoke(thus).
Gazing at Rama who is unruffled, awaiting permission of the king for stay in the forest, the king Dasaratha spoke thus:
aham raaghava kaikeyyaa vara daanena mohitaH |
ayodhyaayaaH tvam eva adya bhava raajaa nigR^ihya maam || 2-34-26
26. raaghava = Oh; Rama! aham = I; mohitaH = was stupefied; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; varadaanena = through a boon; adya = now; nigR^ihya = by confirning; maam = me; tvameva = you alone; bhava = be; raajaa = the king; ayodhyaayaaH = of Ayodhya.
"Oh, Rama! I was stupefied by Kaikeyi through a boon. Now, by confining me, be you the king of Ayodhya."
evam uktaH nR^ipatinaa raamaH dharmabhR^itaam varaH |
pratyuvaaca anjalim kR^itvaa pitaram vaakya kovidaH || 2-34-27
27. raamaH = Rama; varaH = the best man; dharma bhR^itaam = in supporting righteousness; vaakyakovidaH = who is proficient in speech; uktaH = after being spoken; evam = thus; nR^ipatinaa = by the king; pratyuvaacha = replied; pitaram = to his father; aNjalim kR^itvaa = after making salutation with joined palms.
When told thus by the king, Rama the best man in supporting righteousness and who is proficient in expression, replied( as follows) to his father, after making salutation with joined palms.
bhavaan varSha sahasraaya pR^ithivyaa nR^ipate patiH |
aham tu araNye vatsyaami na me kaaryam tvayaa anR^itam || 2-34-28
28. nR^ipate = Oh; King! bhavaan = you be; patiH = the lord; pR^ithivyaaH = of the earth; varshhasahasraaya = for thousand years; aham tu = but I; vatsyaami = shall stay arNye = in the forest; me = for me; na kaaryam = do not make; anR^itam = untruth; tvayaa = of you.
"Oh, king! You be the ruler of the earth for thousand years. But, I for my part, will stay in the forest. For my sake, do not generate untruth about you."
nava paJNcha cha varshhaaNi vanavaase vihR^itya te |
punaH paadau grahiishhyaami pratijJNaante naraadhipaH || 2-34-29
29. naraadhipa = Oh; ruler of men! vihR^itya = having strolled; vanavaase = in the forest; nava paNchaacha = for fourteen; vashhaani = years; pratiJNaante = after fulfillingthe promise; grahishhyaami = I shall clasp; te = your; paadau = feet; punaH = once more.
"Oh, ruler of men! Having strolled in the forest for fourteen years, I shall clasp your feet once more after fulfilling my promise."
rudannaaha priyam putraM satyapaashena saMyataH |
kaikeyyaa chodyamaanstu mitho raajaa tamabraviit || 2-34-30
30. chodyamaanastu = prompted; mithaH = secretly; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; aartaH = the distressed; raajaa = king; samyataH = tied up; sata paashena = by fetters of truth; abraviit = said; rudan = weeping; tam = to that; priyam putram = beloved son.
Prompted secretly by kaikeyi, the distressed king, tied up by fetters of truth, said weeping to that beloved son.
shreyase vR^iddhaye taata punar aagamanaaya ca |
gacchasva ariShTam avyagraH panthaanam akutaH bhayam || 2-34-31
31. taata = Oh; darling! gachchhasva = proceed; shreyase = for welfare; vR^iddhaye = for advancement; punaHaagamanaayacha = and for coming again; panthaanam = let your path; arishhTam = be auspicious; avyagram = undistracted; akutobhayam = and fearless from any quarter.
"Oh, darling! Proceed for welfare, for advancement and for coming again. Let your path of travel be auspicious, undistracted and fearless from any quarter."
na hi satyaatmanastaata dharmaabhimanasastava |
vinivarta yituM buddhi shakyate raghunandana || 2-34-32
32. taata = Oh; darling! raghunandana = Oh; Rama; the seion of Raghu! satyaatmanaH = your mind being given to righteousness; tava = your; buddhiH = decision; na shakya hi = cannot be; vinivartayitum = reversed.
"Oh, darling, the seion of Raghu! Truthful as you are by nature and your mind being given to righteousness, your decision cannot be reversed."
adya tu idaaniim rajaniim putra maa gaccha sarvathaa |
maataram maam ca sampashyan vasa imaam adya sharvariim || 2-34-33
33. putra = Oh; son! adya = today; idaaniim = now; rajaniim = night; maa gachchha = do not go; sarvathaa = by all means; ekaaha darshaenaapi = even by seeing for one day; aham = I; charaamitaavat = may live; saadhu = happily.
"Oh, son! Do not leave in any case today, now at night time. Even by seeing you for one day, I may live happily."
maataraM maam cha sampashyan vasemaamadya sharvariim |
tarpitaH sarvakaamaistvam svaH kaale saadhayishhyasi || 2-34-34
34. sampashyan = looking at maataram = your mother; maamcha = and myself; vasa = stay; imaam = this; sharvariim = might; adya = today; tarpitaH = satiated; sarva kaamaiH = by all desired objecs; tvam = you; saadhayishhyasi = may leave; shvaH = tommorrow; kaale = at dawn.
"Looking at your mother and myself, stay at least for this night today. Satiated by all the desired objects, you may leave tomorrow at dawn."
dushhkaram kriyate putra sarvathaa raaghava tayaa |
matpriyaartham priyaa.nstyaktvaa yadyaasi vijanam vanam || 2-34-35
35. putra = Oh; son; raaghava = Rama! dushhkaram = an incorrigible thing; sarvathaa = in every respect; kriyate = is being done; tvayaa = by you; yat = since; mat priyaartham = for my pleasure; yaasi = you are going; vanam = to the forest; vijanam = a solitary place; tyaktvaa = leaving; priyaan = beloved ones.
"Oh Rama, my son! An incorrigible thing is being done by you since for my pleasure you are going to the forest a solitary place, leaving beloved ones."
na chaitanme priyam putra shape satyena raaghava |
chhannayaa chhalitastvasnu struyaa chhannaagnikalpayaa || 2-34-36
36. putra = Oh; son; raaghava = Rama! etat = this; nacha = is not; priyam = agreeable; me = to me; shape = I swear; satyena = by my faith; asmi = I was; chhalitaH = cheated; striyaa = by the woman; chhannayaa = who had concealed intentions; chhannaagni kalpayaa = resembled fire covered with ashes.
"Oh Rama my son! Your exile is not agreeable to me. I was cheated by Kaikeyi who had concealed intentions and resembled fire with ashes."
paJNchanaa yaa tu labdhaa me taaM tvam nistartumichchhasi |
anayaa vR^ittasaadinyaa kaikeyyaa.abhiprachoditaH || 2-34-37
37. athiprachoditaH = incited by; anayaa = this; kaikeyyaa = Kaikeyi; vR^ittasaadinyaa = who has destroyed established customs; tvam = you; ichchhasi = wish; mistartum = to redeem; me = my; yaavaNchanaa = which deceit; taam = that; labdhaa = was derived.
Incited by Kaikeyi who has destroyed established customs, you wish to redeem my deceit, derived by me from her.
na chaitadaashcharyatamam yattajjyeshhThassuto mama |
apaanR^itakatham putra pitaram kartumichchhsi || 2-34-38
38. putra = Oh; son! jyeshhTaH sutaH = as eldest son; mama = of min; ichhasi iti yat = that which you wish; kartum = to make; pitaram = your father; apaanR^itakatham = as on ewho does not have false promises; tat etat = this; na = is not aashcharyatamam = a great surprise.
"It is not a great surprise, my son, that you my eldest son should seek to make your father as one who does not have false promises."
atha raamaH tathaa shrutvaa pitur aartasya bhaaShitam |
lakShmaNena saha bhraatraa diino vacanam abraviit || 2-34-39
39. atha = thereafter; raamaH = Rama; bhraataa lakshhmaNena saha = along with his brother lakshman; shrutvaa = hearing; bhaashhitam = the words; pituH = of his father; tathaa = thus; aartasya = depressed; diinaH = was upset; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words.
After hearing these words of their father who was depressed, Rama and Lakshmana were upset. Then Rama spoke these words.
praapsyaami yaan adya guNaan ko me shvastaan pradaasyati |
apakramaNam eva ataH sarva kaamaiH aham vR^iNe || 2-34-40
40. yaan = which; guNaam = wordly pleasures praapsyaami = I can get; adya = today; taan = those; kaH = who; pradaasyati = will offer; me = to me; shvaH = tomorrow? ataH = therfore; aham = I; vR^iNe = desire; apakramaNameva = only to get away; sarvaka = in lien of all enjoyments.
Even if these worldly pleasures are obtained today, who will offer those things to me tomorrow? Therefore I desire only to get away in lieu of all these enjoyments.
iyam saraaShTraa sajanaa dhana dhaanya samaakulaa |
mayaa visR^iShTaa vasudhaa bharataaya pradiiyataam || 2-34-41
41. iyam = vasudhaa = this earth; visR^ishhTaa = being relinquished; mayaa = by me; sa raashhTraa = which includes various provinces; sajanaa = filled with people; dhana dhaanya samaakulaa = inbued with riches and foodgrains; pradiiyataam = may be given; bharataaya = to Bharata.
"This earth being relinquished by me; which included various provinces, filled with people, imbued with riches and food grains, may be given to Bharata."
vanavaasakR^itaa buddhirna cha me.adya chalishhyati |
yastushhTena varo dattaH kaikeyyai varada tvayaa || 2-34-42
diiyataam nikhilenaiva satyastvam bhava paarthiva |
42. adya = now; nachalishhayati = I cannot budge; me buddhiH = from my decision; vanavaasa kR^itaa = made about my stay in the forest; paarthiva = Oh; king; varada = the bestower of boons! tvayaa = by you; tushhTena = who were pleased; dattaH = to give; yaH varaH = which boon; kaikeyyai = to Kaikeyi; diiyataam = let it be given; nikhilenaina = completely.
"I cannot budge now from my decision made about my stay in the forest. Oh king the bestower of boons! You were pleased to give a boon to Kaikeyi and let it be fulfilled completely. Be you a truthful man."
aham nidesham bhavato yathoktamanupaalayan || 2-34-43
chaturdasha samaa vatsye vane vanacharaiH saha |
43. aham = I; yathoktam = as promised; anupaalayan = fulfilling; bhavata = your; nidesham = command; vatsye = shall live; vane = in the forest; vanacharaiH saha = along with forest-dewellrs; chaturdasha = for fourteen; samaaH = years.
"I , as promised, fulfilling your command, shall live in the forest along with forest-dwellers for fourteen years."
maa vimarsho vasumatii bharataaya pradiiyataam || 2-34-44
na hi me kaamkshitam raajyam sukhamaatmani vaa priyam |
yathaa nidesham kartum vai tavaiva raghunandhana || 2-34-45
44;45. maa = Oh; do not have; vimarshaH = hesitation; vasumatii pradiiyataam = let the kingdom be given; bharataaya = to Bharata; raghunandana = Oh; king! me = to me; raajyam = either kingdom; sukhamvaa = or happiness; nahi = indeed is not; kaaNkshhitam = desired; aatmano = by nature; kartum eva = only doing; tava = your; yathaanidesham = command as instructed; priyam vai = is dear to me.
"Oh, king! Do not have any hesitation in offering the kingdom to Bharata. Neither kingdom nor happiness indeed is desired by my nature. It is dear to me only to do your command as directed."
apagacchatu te duhkham maa bhuur baaShpa pariplutaH |
na hi kShubhyati durdharShaH samudraH saritaam patiH || 2-34-46
46. te duHkham apagachchhatu = let your sorrow disappear! maa bhuuH = do not be; bhaashhpa pariplutaH = overwheled with tears; samudraH = the ocean; patiH = the lord; saritaam = of rivers; durdharshhaH = which is difficult to assail; na kshhubhyatihi = is not indeed agitated.
"Let your sorrow disappear! Do not be overwhelmed with tears. The ocean, the lord of rivers which is difficult to assail, indeed does not get agitated."
na eva aham raajyam icchaami na sukham na ca maithiliim |
tvaam aham satyam icchaami na anR^itam puruSha R^iShabha || 2-34-47
47. aham = I; naiva ichchhaami = do not even desire; raajyam = kingdom; na = nor; sukham = happiness; na = nor; maithiliimcha = Seetha too; naiva = nor even; sarvaan = all; imaan = these; kaamaan = enjoyments; naiva = nor; jiivitam = life.
"I do not crave for kingdom or happiness nor again for Seetha nor even all these enjoyments nor for heaven nor even for life."
tvaamaham satyamichchhaami naanR^itam purushharshhabha |
pratyaksham tava satyena sukR^itena cha te shape || 2-34-48
48. purushharshhabha = Oh; jewel among men! ahma = I; ichchhami = wish; tvaam = you; satyam = to be a truthful man; na = not; anR^itam = a fallaceous man; tava = In you; pratyakshham = presence; satyena = by truth; sukR^itena = and by virtue; shape = I swear; te = to you.
"Oh, Jewel among men! I wish you to be a truthful mean, not a fallacious man. I swear to you in your presence by truth and by virtue."
na cha shakhyam mayaa taata sthaatum kshaNamapi prabho |
sa shokam dhraarayasvemam na hi me.asti viparyayaH || 2-34-49
49. taata = Oh; father! prabho = Oh; lord! mayaa = by me; nashakyam = it is not possible; sthaatum = to stay; khhaNamapi = even for a moment; saH = you as such; dhaarayasva = should contian; evam = this; shokam = grief; naastihi = there is indeed no; viparyayaH = going back; me = for me.
"It is not possible for me, Oh father, to stay on even for a moment. Therefore, contain this grief, Oh Lord, for there is no going back upon my word."
arthito hyasmi kaikeyyaa vanam gachchheti raaghava |
mayaa choktaM prajaamiiti tatsatyamanupaalaye || 2-34-50
50. raaghava = Oh; Dasaratha the seion of Raghu! asmihi = I was indeed; arthitaH = asked; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; iti = as follows: gachchha = go; vanam = to the forest." uktamcha = It was also replied; mayaa = by me; prajaami iti = that I would go; anupaalaye = I shall redeem; tat = that; satyam = pledge.
"Oh Dasaratha the seion of Raghu! I was indeed asked by Kaikeyi to go to the forest. It was also replied by me that I would go. I shall redeem that pledge."
maa chotkaNthaaM kR^ithaa deva vane ra.nsyaamahe vayam |
prashaantahariNaakiirNe naanaashakuninaadite || 2-34-51
51. deva = Oh; king! maakR^ithaaH = do not feel; utkaNThaam = anxious; vayam = we; ramsyaamahe = shall sport; vane = in the forest; prashaanta hariNaakiirNe = flocked with peaceful deers; naanaashakuninaadite = rendered noisy by birds of various types.
"Oh, king! Do not feel anxious. We shall sport in the forest, flocked with peaceful deer and rendered noisy by birds of various types."
pitaa hi daivatam taata devataanaamapi smR^itam |
tasmaaddaivatamityeva karishhyaami piturvachaH || 2-34-52
52. tat = Oh; father! smR^itamhi = it was said indeed; pitaa = father; daivatam = is the god; devataanaamapi = even for celestials; tasmaat = therefore; karishhyaami = I shall do; pituH = father's; vachaH = word; daivatam ityeva = considering it s divine.
"Oh, father! It was indeed said that even for celestials, father is the god. Therefore, I shall carry out the father's word, considering it as divine."
chaturdhashasu varshheshhu gateshhu narasattama |
punardrakshyasi maam praaptam santaapo.ayam vimuchyataam || 2-34-53
53. narasattama = Oh; best among men! praaptam = coming; gateshhu = after passing away; chaturdasha = fourteen; varshheshhu = years; drakshhyasi = you will see; maam = me; ayam samtaapaH vimuchyataam = let this grief be given up.
"Oh father, the best among men! You will see me, when I come back after elapsing fourteen years. Let this grief be given up."
yena sa.nstambhaniiyo.ayam sarvo baashhpagaLo janaH |
sa tvam purushhashaarduula kimartham vikriyaam gataH || 2-34-54
54. purushha shaarduula = Oh; tiger among men! saraH = all; ayam janaH = these people; bhaashhpagaLaH = whoare bathed with tears; samstambhaniiyaH = are to be consoled by you; saH tva = such of you; kimartham = why; gataH = got; vikriyaam = perturbation?
"Oh, tiger among men! Why have you got perturbed-you by whom all these people bathed in tears, ought to be consoled?"
puram ca raaShTram ca mahii ca kevalaa |
mayaa nisR^iShTaa bharataaya diiyataam |
aham nidesham bhavataH anupaalayan |
vanam gamiShyaami ciraaya sevitum || 2-34-55
55. puramcha = let this city; raashhTramcha = province; kevalaa mahiicha = and whole of this earth; nishR^ishhTaa = left; mayaa = by me; diiyataam = be given; bharataaya = to Bharata; aham = I; anupaalayan = following; bhavataH = your; nidesham = instruction; gamishhyaami = shall proceed; vanam = to the forest; sevitum = to dwell in it; chiraaya = for long.
"Let this city, province and whole of this earth left by me, be given to Bharata. I for one following your instructions, shall proceed to the forest to dwell in it for long."
mayaa nisR^iShTaam bharataH mahiim imaam |
sashaila khaNDaam sapuraam sakaananaam |
shivaam susiimaam anushaastu kevalam |
tvayaa yad uktam nR^ipate yathaa astu tat || 2-34-56
56. nR^ipate = Oh; king! imaama mahiim = let this earth; sashaila shhaNdaam = with multitude mountains; sapuraam = comprising of cities; sakaananaam = with their gardens; nisR^ishhTaam = relinquished; mayaa = by me; anushaastu = be ruled over; bharataH kevalam = barely by Bharata; susiimaam = within bounds; shiraam = of well being; yat = that which; uktam = is told; tvayaa = by you; tat = let it; astu = be so; tathaa = thus.
"Oh, king! Let this earth with multitude of mountains, comprising of cities with their gardens relinquished by me, be ruled over barely by Bharata, within the bounds of righteousness. Let the word of honour given by you(to Kaikeyi) come true."
na me tathaa paarthiva dhiiyate mano |
mahatsu kaameShu na ca aatmanaH priye |
yathaa nideshe tava shiShTa sammate |
vyapaitu duhkham tava mat kR^ite anagha || 2-34-57
57. paarthiva = Oh; king; anagha = the faultlessman! yathaa = how; memanaH = my mind; dhiiyate = is shanding firmly; tava nirdeshe = to your command; shishhta sammate = approved by the wise; tathaa = in that manner; na = it is not; mahatsu = on haughty; kaameshhu = enjoyments; na = it is not; aatanaH = on my own; priyeH = pleasures; matkR^ite = for my sake; vyapaitu duHkham = let your agony disappear.
"Oh, the faultless king! My mind is not directed on haughty physical enjoyments or sensuous pleasures which is approved by the wise. Let your agony disappear, for my sake."
tat adya na eva anagha raajyam avyayam |
na sarva kaamaan na sukham na maithiliim |
na jiivitam tvaam anR^itena yojayan |
vR^iNiiya satyam vratam astu te tathaa || 2-34-58
58. anagha = Oh the sinless king! tat = therefore; adya = now; yojayan = connecting; tvaam = you; anR^itena = with untruth; naiva vR^itena = I just cannot yearn; raajyam = for kingdom; na = nor desirous; sarva kaamaan = of various enjoyment; na = nor; sukham = for happiness; na = now; maithiliim = Seetha; na = nor; jiivitam = life; te = (let) your; vratam = voe; tathaa = thus; astu = become; satyam = true.
Oh, the sinless king! Therefore, now associating you with untruth, I just do not desire for kingdom, nor all the sensual enjoyments, nor happiness nor existence nor even Seetha. Let your pledge(given to Kaikeyi) prove true."
phalaani muulaani ca bhakShayan vane |
giriimH ca pashyan saritaH saraa.nsi ca |
vanam pravishya eva vicitra paadapam |
sukhii bhaviShyaami tava astu nirvR^itiH || 2-34-59
59. bhavishhyaami = I shall be; sukhii = happy; pravishyaiva = entering; vanam = the forest; vichitra paadapam = filled with; bhakshhayan = eating; phalaani = fruits; muulanicha = and tubers; pushyan = and lakes; vane = in the forest; astu = let there be; nirvR^itiH = satisfaction; tava = to you.
"I shall be happy, entering the forest filled with wonderful trees, eating fruits and tubers as well as seeing mountains rivers and lakes in the forest. Let there be satisfaction for you.
evam sa raajaa vyasanaabhipannaH |
shokena duHkhena cha taamyamaanaH |
aaliN^gya putram suvinashhTasamjJNo |
moham gato naiva chicheshTa ki.nchit || 2-34-60
60. aaliNgya = embracing; putra = his son; saH raajaa = that king Dasaratha; evam = who had thus; vyasanaabhipannaH = fallen on evil days; taamyamaanaH = was tormented; shokena = with grief; duHkhena = and distress; mahomgataH = got fainted; suvinashhTa samJNaH = fully losing consciousness; naiva chicheshhTa = not moving; kimchit = even a little.
Embracing his son, that king Dasaratha, who had thus fallen on evil days, was tormented with grief and distress, got fainted, fully losing his consciousness and not moving even a little.
devyastataH samruruduH sametaa |
staam varjayitvaa naradevapatniim |
rudan sumantro.api jagaama muurchhaam |
haa haa kR^itam tatra babhuuva sarvam || 2-34-61
61. tataH = then; varjayitvaa = leaving out; naradevapatniim = Kaikeyi the wife of king Dasaratha; devyaH = the queens; sametaaH = assembled there; samruduH = began to cry; sumantro.api = Sumantra also; jagaama = got; muurchhaam = the faint; rudan = while weeping; sarvam = everything; tatra = there; babhuuva = became; haahaakR^itam = loud lamenting.
Then, all the queens assembled there except Kaikeyi began to cry. Sumantra also fell into a swoon, while weeping. Everything there became loud lamenting.
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamaayaNe aadi kaavye ayodhya kaaNDe catur triMshaH sargaH
Thus completes 34th chapter of Ayodhya Kanda in glorious Ramayana, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2001, K. M. K. Murthy