Overhearing the conversation of Rama and Seetha, Lakshmana who came there earlier enters into dialogue with his brother, insisting that he too shall accompany Rama and Seetha to forests. Rama tries to persuade him to stay back, in vain. Then Rama had to agree to Lakshmana's insistence and asks him to fetch the divine bows, arrows and swords given by gods in the Vedic-ritual of Seetha's father, namely King Janaka.
एवम् श्रुत्वा तु सम्वादम् लक्ष्मणः पूर्वमागतः |
बाष्पपर्याकुलमुखः शोकम् सोढुमशक्नुवन् || २-३१-१
स भ्रातुश्चरणौ गाढम् निपीड्य रघुनन्दनः |
सीतामुवाचातियशाम् राघवम् च महाव्रतम् || २-३१-२
1;2. lakshhmaNaH = Lakshmana; aagataH = who came there; puurvam = earlier; shrutvaa = heard; samvaadam = the conversation; evam = thus; bhaashhpa paryaakulekshhanaH = having his eyes filled with tears; ashaknuvan = being unable; sodhum = to bear; shokam = the anguish; saH = that; raghunandanaH = Lakshmana; nipiidya = pressed; charaNau = the feet; bhraatuH = of his brother; gaadham = firmly; uvaacha = spoke; raaghavamcha = to Rama; mahaavratam = performing a great vow; siitaam = and to Seetha; atiyashaam = of great honour.
Lakshmana who came there earlier, heard the conversation of Seetha and Rama, having his eyes glut with tears, being unable to bear the anguish, tightly pressed the feet of his bother and spoke (as floows) to Rama who was performing a great vow and to Seetha who enjoyed great honour.
यदि गन्तुम् कृता बुद्धिर्वनम् मृगगजायुतम् |
अहम् त्वानुगमिष्यामि वनमद्रे धनुर्धरः || २-३१-३
3. buddhiH kR^itaayadi = If decision was made; gantum = to go; vanam = to forest; mR^igagajaayutam = filled with antelopes and elephants; aham = I; dhanurdharaH = wearing the bow; agre = in front; anugamishhyaami = shall accompany; tvaa = your; vanam = to forest.
"If you decided to go to the forest filled with antelopes and elephants, I, in front wearingthe bow, shall accompany you to the forest."
मया समेतोऽरण्यानि बहूनि विचरिष्यसि |
पक्षिभिर्मृगयूथैश्च सम्घुष्टानि समन्ततः || २-३१-४
4. sametaH = together; mayaa = with me; vicharishhyasi = you will travel; bahuuni araNyaani = in many forests; samghushhTaani = resonant; samastataH = of all; pakshhibhiH = birds; mR^igayoothaiH = and troops of wild animals.
"Together with me, you will travel in the various forests, resonant with sounds of birds and herds of wild animals."
न देवलोकाक्रमणम् नामरत्वमहम् वृणे |
ऐश्वर्यम् वापि लोकानाम् कामये न त्वया विना || २-३१-५
5. tvayaa vinaa = without you; aham = I; navR^iNe = do not want; devalokakramaNam = ascendency to heaven; na = nor desiring; amaratvam = immortality; na kaamaye = now wishing; aishvaryam vaapi = even sovereignity; lokaanaam = over the globes.
"Without you, I do not want ascendency to heaven now do I desire immortality now do I wish for sovereignity over the globes."
एवम् ब्रुवाणः सौमित्रिर्विनवासाय निश्चितः |
रामेण बहुभिः सान्वैर्निषिद्धः पुनरब्रवीत् || २-३१-६
6. saumitriH = Lakshmana; bruvaaNaH = who was speaking; evam = thus; nishchitaH = determined; vanavaasaaya = to dwell in the forest; nishhiddhaH = was forbidden; raameNa = by Rama; bahubhiH saantvaiH = through many pacifying words; punaH = again; abraviit = spoke.
Lakshmana who was speaking in favour of coming to the forst, was forbidden by Rama through many of his pacifying words. After hearing them, Lakshmana again soke as follows:
अनुज्ञातश्च भवता पूर्वमेव यदस्म्यहम् |
किमिदानीम् पुनरिदम् क्रियते मे निवारणम् || २-३१-७
7. aham = I; asmiyat = am indeed; anujJNaataH = permitted; bhavataa = by you; puurvameva = even earlier; idaaniim = now; kim = why; punaH = again; idam = this; nivaaraNam = hindrance; kriyate = is being done?
"I was indeed permitted by you earlier. How is it that you are prohibiting me now?"
यदर्थम् प्रतिषेधो मे क्रियते गन्तुमिच्छतः |
एतदिच्छामि विज्ञातुम् संशयो हि ममानघ || २-३१-८
8. anagha = Oh; the faultless man! ichchhaami = I desire; vijJNaatum = to know; yadartham = for what reason; pratishhedhaH = prohibition; kriyate = is done; etat = at this time; me = for me; ichhataH = who is willing; gautum = to go; samshayaH hi = there is indeed doubt; me = in me.
"Oh, the faultless man! I desire to know the reason for prohibiting me, who is indeed willing to come to the forest, because there is doubt in my mind."
ततः अब्रवीन् महा तेजा रामः लक्ष्मणम् अग्रतः |
स्थितम् प्राग् गामिनम् वीरम् याचमानम् कृत अन्जलिम् || २-३१-९
9. tataH = thenafter; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; abraviit = spoke; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana; sthitam = standing; agrataH = in front; praaggaaminam = intending to go before; viiram = the valiant man; yaachamaanam = soliciting; kR^itaaNjalim = with joined palms.
Thereafter Rama of great splendour spoke to Lakshmana the valiant man who was standing in front, intending to preceede Sri Rama and soliciting with joined palms.
स्निग्धो धर्मरतो वीरस्सततम् सत्पथे स्थितः |
प्रियः प्राणसमो वशो भ्राता चापि सखा च मे || २-३१-१०
10. snigdhaH = friendly; dharmarataH = interested in righeousness; viiraH = valiant; sthitaH = always; satpathe = in good path; priyaH = the beloved one; praaNa samaH = as dear as life; vashyaH = obedient; bhraatraachaapi = the brother; sakhaacha = and a companion.
"You are so friendly, interested in righteousness, valiant, abiding always in a good path, dear to me as life, obedient, my brother and a companion."
मया अद्य सह सौमित्रे त्वयि गच्चति तत् वनम् |
को भरिष्यति कौसल्याम् सुमित्राम् वा यशस्विनीम् || २-३१-११
11. saumitre = Oh; Lakshmana! tvayi = you; gachchhati = having proceeded; tatvanam = to that forest; mayaa saha = along with me; adya = now; kaH = who; bharishhyati = will support; kausalyaam = Kausalaya; sumitraam vaa = or Sumira; yashashiviniim = the illustrious.
"Oh Lakshmana! If you proceed to the forest along with me now, who will support Kausalya or the illustrious Sumitra?"
अभिवर्षति कामैः यः पर्जन्यः पृथिवीम् इव |
स काम पाश पर्यस्तः महा तेजा मही पतिः || २-३१-१२
12. yaH = which; mahiipatiH = emporor; mahaatejaH = of great splendour; abhivarshhati = used to shower; kaamaiH = objects of desire; parjanyaH iva = as a cloud; pR^ithiviim = to the earth; saH = he; kaamapaashaparyantaH = stands circumscribed by cord of love.
"That emperor of great splendour, who used to shower blessings on the people as a cloud sends down rain on the earth, stands circumscribed by cord of love."
सा हि राज्यम् इदम् प्राप्य नृपस्य अश्व पतेः सुता |
दुह्खितानाम् सपत्नीनाम् न करिष्यति शोभनम् || २-३१-१३
13. saa = that Kaikeyi; sutaa = daughter; nR^ipasya = of king; ashvapateH = Aswapathi; praapya = after getting; idam raajyam = this kingdom; na karishhyati hi = will certainly not accord; shobhanam = good treatment; sapatniinaam = to step-wives; duHkhitaanaam = who are at grief.
"That Kaikeyi daughter of king Aswapathi, after obtaining this kingdom, will certainly not accord good treatment to her step-wives, who are at grief."
न स्मरिष्यति कौसल्याम् सुमित्राम् च सुदुःखिताम् |
भरतो राज्यमासाद्य कैकेय्याम् पर्यवस्थितः || २-३१-१४
14. bharataH = Bharata; aasaadya = obtaining; raajyamm = the kingdom; paryavasthitaH = will be devoted; kaikeyyaam = to Kaikeyi; na smarishhyati = will not think; kausalyaam = of Kausalya; suduHkhitaam = who is in great sorrow; sumitraameha = and Sumitra.
"Bharata on acquiring the kingdom will be devoted to Kaikeyi and will not think of sorrowful Kausalya or Sumitra."
तामार्याम् स्वयमेवेह राजाऽनुग्रहणेन वा |
सौमित्रे भर कौसल्या मुक्तमर्थमिमम् चर || २-३१-१५
15. saumitre = Oh; Lakshmana! iha = you stay here; bhara = support; svayameva = through your own salf; raajaanugraheNa = or by obtaining favour through the king; taam kausalyaam = that Kausalya; aaryaam = the venerable lady; chara = do; imam = this; artham = thing; uktam = as said.
"Oh, Lakshmana! You stay here and support the venerable Kausalya through your own self or by obtaining favour through the king. Do this thing, as said."
एवम् मम च ते भक्तिर्भविष्यति सुदर्शिता |
धर्मज्ञ गुरुपूजायाम् धर्मश्चाप्यतुलो महान् || २-३१-१६
16. dharmajJNaa = Oh; Lakshmana; knower of righteousness! evam = thus; te = your; te = your; bhaktiH = devotion; mama = towards me; bhavishhyati = will be; sudarshitaa = well demonstrated; gurupuujaayaam = by honouring the elders; mahaan; a great; atulaH = unequalled; dharmashcha = religious merit(will accrue).
"Oh, Lakshmana the knower of righteousness! Thus, your devotion towards me will have been fully demonstrated by you. By honouring the elders, a great unqualled religious merit will accrue to you."
एवम् कुरुष्व सौमित्रे मत्क्ऱ्^ते रघुनन्दन |
अस्माभिर्विप्रहीनाया मातुर्नो न भवेत्सुखम् || २-३१-१७
17. saumitre = OH; Lakshmana; raghunandana = who exhilarates Raghu dynasty; kurushhva = do; evam = thus; matkR^ite = for my sake; na bhavet = there will be no; sukham = happiness; naH = maatuH = to our mother; viprahiinaayaaH = who is left behind; naH = bye us.
"Oh, Lakshmana, the exhilarator of Raghu dynasty! Do this for my sake. There will be no happiness to our mother, if she is left behind by us."
एवम् उक्तः तु रामेण लक्ष्मणः श्लक्ष्णया गिरा |
प्रत्युवाच तदा रामम् वाक्यज्ञो वाक्य कोविदम् || २-३१-१८
18. lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; vaakyaajJNaH = who is intelligent in speech; uktaH = who was spoken; evam = thus; raameNa = by Rama; pratyuvaacha = replied; tadaa = then; giraa = with the voice; shlakshhNayaa = so gentle; raamam = to Rama; vaakyakovidam = who is skilled in speech.
Lakshmana who is intelligent in speech, after hearing Rama's words, replied in a gentle voice to him who is skilled in speech.
तव एव तेजसा वीर भरतः पूजयिष्यति |
कौसल्याम् च सुमित्राम् च प्रयतः न अत्र संशयः || २-३१-१९
19. viiraH = Oh; Rama the valiant! bharataH = Bharata; prayataH = being piously dispossed; tava tejasaiva = by your splendour of such a kind; puujayishhyati = will respect; kausalyaamena = Kausalya; sumitraamcha = and Sumitra; na = no; samshayaH = doubt; atra = in this matter.
"Oh, Rama the valiant! Bharata being inspired by your splendour of morality will respect Kausalya and Sumitra. There is no doubt in this matter."
कौसल्या बिभृयात् आर्या सहस्रम् अपि मद् विधान् |
यस्याः सहस्रम् ग्रामाणाम् सम्प्राप्तम् उपजीवनम् || २-३१-२०
20. yasyaaH = upon which Kausalya; sahasram = thousand; graamaaNaam = villages; sampraaptam = obtained by her; upajiivinaam = are living in dependence; aaryaa = that venerable; kausalyaa = Kausalya; bibhR^iyaat = can maintain; sahasramapi = even thousand; madvidhaan = of my type.
"Kausalya obtained (by grant) thousand villages , which are dependent on her. Hence, that venerable Kausalya can maintain even thousand people like me."
तदात्मभरणे चैव मम मातुस्तथैव च |
पर्याप्ता मद्विधानाम् च भरणाय यशस्विनी || २-३१-२१
21. tat = that is why; yashasvinii = the illustrious Kausalya; paryaaptaa = is competent not only; aatmabharaNaichaiva = to maintain herself; tathaivacha = but also; mama maatuH = my mother; bharaNaayacha = and the support of; madvidhaanaamcha = people like me.
"The illustrious Kausalya is competent not only to maintain herself but also my mother and people like me in addition."
कुरुष्व मामनुचरम् वैधर्म्यम् नेह विद्यते |
कृतार्थोऽहम् भविष्यामि तव चार्थः प्रकल्पते || २-३१-२२
22. kurushhva = make; maam = me; amcharam = your attendant; iha = in this; navidyate = there is no; vaidharmyam = unlawfulness; aham = I; bhavishhyaami = will be; kR^itaarthaH = accomplishing my object; tava = your; arthattcha = purpose also; prakalpate = will be fulfilled.
"Make me your attendant. In this, there is no unrighteousness. Besides, I will be accomplishing my object. Your purpose also will be fulfilled."
धनुर् आदाय सशरम् खनित्र पिटका धरः |
अग्रतः ते गमिष्यामि पन्थानम् अनुदर्शयन् || २-३१-२३
23. aadaaya = having taken; dhamh = the bow; sasharam = with arrows; khamitra pitakaadharaH = carrying a spade and a basket; gamishhyaami = I will travel; anudarshayan = showing; panthaanam = the path; agrataH = in front; te = of you.
"Taking my bow and arrows and carrying a spade and a basket, I will walk in front of you showing the path."
आहरिष्यामि ते नित्यम् मूलानि च फलानि च |
वन्यानि यानि च अन्यानि स्वाहाराणि तपस्विनाम् || २-३१-२४
24. aaharishhyaami = I will procure; te = for you; nityam = for all time; muulaani = the tubers; phalaanicha = fruits; anyaanicha = and other things; yaani = which; svaahaaraaNi = are good food stuffs; vanyaani = available in the forest; tapasvinaam = for sages.
"I will procure for you for all time the tubers, fruits and other things which are good food stuffs available in the forest for sages."
भवांस् तु सह वैदेह्या गिरि सानुषु रंस्यते |
अहम् सर्वम् करिष्यामि जाग्रतः स्वपतः च ते || २-३१-२५
25. bhavaamstu = be it so; that you; vaidehyaasaha = along with Seetha; ramsyate = enjoy yourself; girisaamushhu = on mountain = ridges; aham = I; karishhyaami = I shall do; sarvam = everything; te = (while) you; jaagrataH = are waking; svapatashcha = or sleeping.
"You along with Seetha enjoy yourself on mountain-ridges. I shall do everything while you are waking or sleeping."
रामः तु अनेन वाक्येन सुप्रीतः प्रत्युवाच तम् |
व्रज आपृच्चस्व सौमित्रे सर्वम् एव सुहृज् जनम् || २-३१-२६
26. raamastu = Rama; supriitaH = very much delighted; anena vaakyena = by these words; pratyuvaacha = replied; tam = to him( as follows); saumitre = Oh; Lakshmana! vraja = go; aapR^ichchhasva = take leave; sarvameva = of all; suhR^ijjanam = your friends.
Rama, very much delighted of hearing these words, said to him: "Oh, Lakshmana! Go, take leave of all your friends."
ये च राज्ञो ददौ दिव्ये महात्मा वरुणः स्वयम् |
जनकस्य महा यज्ञे धनुषी रौद्र दर्शने || २-३१-२७
अभेद्य कवचे दिव्ये तूणी च अक्षय सायकौ |
आदित्य विमलौ च उभौ खड्गौ हेम परिष्कृतौ || २-३१-२८
सत्कृत्य निहितम् सर्वम् एतत् आचार्य सद्मनि |
स त्वम् आयुधम् आदाय क्षिप्रम् आव्रज लक्ष्मण || २-३१-२९
27;28;29. lakshmana = Oh; Lakshmana! varuNaH = Varuna; mahatmaa = the great souled; svayam = himself; mahaayajJNe = at a grand sacrifice; janakasya = of Janaka; raajJNaH = the king; dadau = gave; ye = which; dhanushhii = bows; divye = which are heavenly; raudra darshane = (one) dreadful to look at; divye = divine; abhedya kavache = impentrable pieces of armour; tuuNiicha = and quivers; akshhayasaayake = containing an inexhaustible; ubhau = two; khadgau = swords; hemaparishhkR^ite = decked with gold; aaditya vimalau = with spotless lustre like that of a sun; etat sarvam = all these; nihitam = were kept; achaarya sadmani = at the residence of our receptor; Vasista;satkR^itya = after paying due reverence; aadaaya = take; sarvam = all those; aayudham = arms; aavraja = (and)return; skhhipram = soon.
"Oh, Lakshma! At a grand sacrifice perfomed by Janaka, the great-souled Varuna(god of water) personally gave heavently bows which are dreadful to look at, divine impenetrable pices of armour, quivers containing an inexhanstible stock of arms, two swords decked with gold and with spotless lustre like that of a sun - all these were kept at the residence of our receptor Vasista, after paying due reverence. Take all those arms and return soon."
स सुहृज् जनम् आमन्त्र्य वन वासाय निश्चितः |
इष्क्वाकु गुरुम् आमन्त्र्य जग्राह आयुधम् उत्तमम् || २-३१-३०
30. lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; nishahitaH = who was assured; vanavaasaaya = of his sojourn in the forest; aamantrya = after bidding good bye; suhR^ijjanam = to his griends; aagamya = approached; ikshhvaakugurum = Vasista; the preceptor of Ikshvaku dynasty; garaaha = took; uttamam = the excellent; aayudham = arms.
Lakshmana, who was assured of his sojourn in the forest, after bidding good bye ot his friends, approached Vasista the preceptor of Ikshvaku dynasty and took the excellent armoury.
तत् दिव्यम् राज शार्दूलः सत्कृतम् माल्य भूषितम् |
रामाय दर्शयाम् आस सौमित्रिः सर्वम् आयुधम् || २-३१-३१
31. saumitriH = Lakshmana; raajashaarduulaH = a tiger among princes; dadarshayaamaasa = showed; raamaaya = to Rama; sarvam = all; tat aayadham = those arms; divyam = which are divine; satkR^itam = which were worshipped maalya bhuushhitam = and decorated by garlands.
Lakshmana, a tiger among princes, showed to Rama all those arms, which were divine, being worshipped and decorated by garlands.
तम् उवाच आत्मवान् रामः प्रीत्या लक्ष्मणम् आगतम् |
काले त्वम् आगतः सौम्य कान्क्षिते मम लक्ष्मण || २-३१-३२
32. raamaH = Rama; aatmavaan = who has controlled his mind; priitya = affectinately; uvaacha = soke(as follows) tama lakshhmaNam to Lakshmana; aagatam = who arrived; lakshmana = "Oh; Lakshmana saumya = the excellent man! tvam = you; aagataH = came; kaale = in time; kaaNkshhite = as desired; mama = by me.
Rama, who had fully controlled his mind, affectionately spoke as follows to Lakshmana who arrived: "Oh, Lakshmana, the excellent man! You came in time as desired by me."
अहम् प्रदातुम् इच्चामि यद् इदम् मामकम् धनम् |
ब्राह्मणेभ्यः तपस्विभ्यः त्वया सह परम्तप || २-३१-३३
33. paramtapa = Lakshmana; the chastiser of foes! aham = I; tvayaa saha = along with you; ichchhaami = desire; pradaatum = to give away; yat = which; idam = this; dhanam = wealth; mamakam = pertaining to me; braahmaNebhyaH = to brahmanas; tapasvibhyaH = practising ansterities.
"Lakshmana, the chastiser of foes! along with you, I want to give all this wealth pertaining to me to brahmanas, practising ansterities."
वसन्ति इह दृढम् भक्त्या गुरुषु द्विज सत्तमाः |
तेषाम् अपि च मे भूयः सर्वेषाम् च उपजीविनाम् || २-३१-३४
34. teshhaamapicha = to those; dvijasattamaaH = excellent brahmanas; vasanti = residing; iha = here; dR^idham = as strong; bhaktaaH = devotees; gurushhu = to preceptors; bhuuyaH = and; sarveshhaam = all; me = of my; upajiivinaamcha = dependants.
"I also desire to give to those excellent brahmanas residing here as strong devotees to their proceptors and to all my dependents."
वसिष्ठ पुत्रम् तु सुयज्ञम् आर्यम् |
त्वम् आनय आशु प्रवरम् द्विजानाम् |
अभिप्रयास्यामि वनम् समस्तान् |
अभ्यर्च्य शिष्टान् अपरान् द्विजातीन् || २-३१-३५
35. tvam = you; aanaya = bring; aashu = soon; aaryam = the venerable; suyajJNam = Suyagna; vashishhTaputram = the son of Vasista; pravaram = the best; abhyarchya = after adoring; aparaan samastaan dvijaatiin = all other brahmanas; shishhTaan = who are cultured; abhiprayaasyaami = I will go; vanam = to the forest.
"You bring boon the venerable Suyagna, the son of Vasista, the best. After adoring all other brahmanas also who are cultured, I will go to the forest."
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये अयोध्य काण्डे एक त्रिंशः सर्गः
Thus completes 31st chapter in the Ayodhya kanda of the glorious Ramayayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2001, K. M. K. Murthy