In this chapter Rama describes various troubles of staying in forest and beseeches seetha not to go to forest
सएवम् ब्रुवतीम् सीताम् धर्मज्ञो धर्म वत्सलः |
निवर्तन अर्थे धर्म आत्मा वाक्यम् एतत् उवाच ह || २-२८-१
1. saH = Rama; dharmaJNjaH = the knower of righteousness; dharmavatsalaH = who was fond of righteousness; nakurute = did not form; buddhim = the idea; netum = of taking; siitaam = Sita; bruvatiim = who was speaking; evam = thus; chintayan = thinking; duHkhaani = of difficulties; vane = in the forest.
Thinking of difficulties one will be called upon to bear in the forest, Rama who was fond of righteousness did not form the idea of taking Sita who was speaking as aforesaid.
सान्त्वयित्वा पुनस्ताम् तु बाष्पदूषितलोचनाम् |
निवर्तनार्थे धर्मात्मा वाक्यमेतदुवाच ह || २-२८-२
2. saantayitvaa = soothening with kind words; taam = to Sita; bhaashhpa duushhita lochanaam = when eyes were blemished with tears; dharmaatmaa = Rama; the virtuous minded; uvaachaha = spoke; etat = these; vaakyam = words; punaH = again; nivartanaarthe = for the purpose of making her turn back.
Soothening with kind words to Sita, when eyes were blemished with tears, the virtuous Rama spoke again as follows, for the purpose of waking her turn back.
सीते महा कुलीना असि धर्मे च निरता सदा |
इह आचर स्वधर्मम् त्वम् मा यथा मनसः सुखम् || २-२८-३
3. siite = Oh; Sita! asi = you are; mahaakuliinaa = born in a high lineage; sadaa = ever; nirataa = devoted to; dharme = righteousness; tvam = you; aachara = perform; svadharmama = your own virtue; iha = here; yathaa = how; sukham = agreeable; me manasaH = to my mind.
"Sita! Your are born in a high lineage, ever devoted to righteousness. Perform your own virtue here, which is agreable to my mind."
सीते यथा त्वाम् वक्ष्यामि तथा कार्यम् त्वया अबले |
वने दोषा हि बहवो वदतः तान् निबोध मे || २-२८-४
4. siite = Oh;Sita; abale = the delicate! yathaa tathaa = whatever manner; vakshhyaami = I shall tell; tvaam = you; kaaryam = is to be done; tvayaa = by you; bahavaH = many; doshhaaH hi = inconveniences indeed; vane = in the forest; nibodha = know; taan = them; me = from me; vadataH = speaking.
"Oh Sita, the delicate! Do whatever I tell you. There are many inconveniencs in the forest. Know them from me."
सीते विमुच्यताम् एषा वन वास कृता मतिः |
बहु दोषम् हि कान्तारम् वनम् इति अभिधीयते || २-२८-५
5. siite = Oh; Sita; eshaa = this; matiH = thought; vanavaasakR^itaa = made about forest; vimuchyataam = be given up; abhidhiiyati hi = It is indeed said; vanam = forest; kaantaaram = the wilderness; bahudoshhayutam = is fraught with many dangers.
"Oh, Sita! Let your thought made about forest be given up. It is indeed said that forest with its wilderness is fraught with many dangers."
हित बुद्ध्या खलु वचो मया एतत् अभिधीयते |
सदा सुखम् न जानामि दुह्खम् एव सदा वनम् || २-२८-६
6. etat vachaH = this advice; abhidhiiyate hi = is expressed indeed; mayaa = by me; hita buddhyaa = keeping your welfare in view; sadaa nagaanaami = I do not ever consider; vanam = forest; sukham = as comfortable; sadaa = always; duHkhameva = uncomfortable.
This advice is given by me, keeping your welfare in view. I do not ever consider a forest as comfortable. It is always uncomfortable."
गिरि निर्झर सम्भूता गिरि कन्दर वासिनाम् |
सिम्हानाम् निनदा दुह्खाः श्रोतुम् दुह्खम् अतः वनम् || २-२८-७
7. ninadaaH = the sounds; girinirjaharasambhuutaaH = created from water falls in hills; simhaanaam = from lions; girikandharavaasinaam = residing in mountain caves; duHkHaaH = are unpleasant; shrotum = to hear; ataH = that is why; vanam = forest; duHkham = is uncomfortable.
"The sounds created from waterfalls in hills and from lions resding in mountain caves are unpleasant to hear. That is why living in a forest in uncomfortable."
क्रीडमानाश्च विस्रब्धा मत्ताह् शून्ये महामृगाः |
दृष्ट्वा समभिवर्तन्ते सीते दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-८
8. mahaa mR^igaaH = large animals; visrabdhaaH = which are fearless; mattaaH = intoxicated; kR^iidamaanaaH = sporting; shuunyo = in desolate forest; samabhivartane = come forward; dR^ishhTvaa = after seeing; siite = Oh; Sita! ataH = that is why; vanam = forest; duHkham = is uncomfortable.
"Large wild animals which are fearless and intoxicated sporting in the desolate forest; come forward, after seeing. Oh, Sita! That is why living in forest is uncomfortable."
सग्राहाः सरितश्चैव पङ्कवत्यश्च दुस्तराः |
मत्तैरपि गजैर्नित्यमतो दुःखतरम् वनम् || २-२८-९
9. saritashchaiva = even streams; sagraahaaH = filled with corcodiles; paNkavatyaH cha = full of mire; dustaraaH = are difficult to be crossed; mattaiH gajairapi = by rut elephants also; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; nityam = is always; duHkhatara = very much uncomforable.
"Even streams filled with crocodiles full of mire are difficult to be crossed by rut elephants also. Hence dwelling in a forest is always very much uncomfortable.
लताकण्टकसम्पूर्णाः कृकवाकूपनादिताः |
निरपाश्च सुदुर्गाश्च मार्गा दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-१०
10. maargaaH = pathways; lataakaNtaka sampuurNaaH = covered with creeps and thorns; kR^ikavaakuupanaaditaaH = echoed with noise of wild cocks; nirapaaH = water = less; sudurgaaH cha = and very difficult to enter; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkham = is hardship.
"Pathways covered with creepers and thorns, echoed with noise of wild cocks, are water-less and very difficult to enter. Hence dwelling in a forest is hardship."
सुप्यते पर्ण शय्यासु स्वयम् भग्नासु भू तले |
रात्रिषु श्रम खिन्नेन तस्मात् दुह्खतरम् वनम् || २-२८-११
11. shramakhinnena = one distressed by fatigue; supyate = has to sleep; raatrishhu = in nights; bhagnaasu parNa shayyaasu = on a bed of fallen leaves; tasmaat = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is very much a misery.
"One distress by fatigue has to sleep in nights on a bed of fallen leaves. Hence, living in a forest is very much a misery."
अहोरात्रम् च सन्तोषः कर्तव्यो नियतात्मना |
फलैर्वृक्षावपतितैः सीते दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-१२
12. siite = Oh; Sita! niyataatmanaa = one with mind disciplined; ahoraatram = day and night; kartavyaH = has to necessarily do; santoshhaH = contend with; phalaiH = fruits; vR^ikshhaapatitaiH = fallen from trees; ataH = henc; vanam = forest; duHkham = is suffering.
"Oh, Sita! With mind disciplined day and night, one has to necessarily satisfy ourself with fruits fallen from trees. Hence, living in a forest is a suffering."
उपवासः च कर्तव्या यथा प्राणेन मैथिलि |
जटा भारः च कर्तव्यो वल्कल अम्बर धारिणा || २-२८-१३
13. maithili = Oh; Sita; the princess of Mithila! uparaasashcha = fasting also; kartavyaH = is to be done; yathaa praaNena = according to one's stamina; valkalaambaradhaariNaa = wearing clothes of bark; jataabhaarashcha = and mass of matted hair(on the head) kartavyaH = is to be done.
"Oh, Sita the princess of Mithila! Fasting is to be done according to one's stamina. Clothes of bark are to be worn and mass of matted hair has to be worn on the head."
देवतानाम् पितृइणाम् चकर्तव्यम् विधिपूर्वकम् |
प्राप्तानामतिथीनाम् च नित्यशः प्रतिपूजनम् || २-२८-१४
14. devataanaam = the celestials; pitRuunaam cha = the ancestors; atithiinaam cha = the guests; praaptaanaam = who arrife; kartavyam = are to be; nityashaH = always; pratipuujanam = worshipped; vidhipuurvakam = according to prescribed rites.
"The celestials, the ancestors, the guests who arrive are to be worshipped always according to the preseribed rites."
कार्यस्त्रीरभिषेकश्च काले काले च नित्यशः |
चरता नियमेनैव तस्माद्दुःखतरम् वनम् || २-२८-१५
15. abhishhekaH = bath; kaaryaH = is to be performed; triH = three times; nityashaH = every day; kaale kaale = at appropriate time; charataa = by the one moving in the forest; niyamenaiva = with restraint in the mind; tasmaat = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is very much a misery.
"Bath is to be performed three times a day at appropriate time by the one moving in the forest, with one's mind kept in restraint. Hence, living in a forest is very much a misery."
उपहारश्च कर्तव्यः कुसुमैः स्वयमाहृतैः |
आर्षेण विधिना वेद्याम् बाले दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-१६
16. baale = Oh; Sita the innocent! upahaarashcha = offering; kartavyaH = is to be done; dusumaiH = with flowers; aahR^itaiH = brought; svayam = by one's self; vedyaam = at the altar; aarshheNa vidhinaa = according to the rites prescribed by sages; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkham = is hardship.
"Oh, Sita the innocent! Offering is to be done with flowers brought by one's own self at the altar, according to the rites prescribed by sages. Hence, living in a forest is a hardship."
यथालब्धेन कर्तव्यः सन्तोष्स्तेन मैथिलि |
यताहारैर्वनचरैः सीते दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-१७
17. maithili = Oh; Sita the princess of Mithila! vanacharaiH = the dwellers of forest; kartavyaH = are to be; santoshhaH = satisfied; yathaa labdhena = with whatever is obtained; tena = there; yataahaaraiH = the rstricted food; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkham = is misery.
"Oh, Sita the princess of Mithila! The dwellers of forest are to be satisfied with whatever is obtained there, the restricted food. Hence, living in forest is a misery.
अतीव वातः तिमिरम् बुभुक्षा च अत्र नित्यशः |
भयानि च महान्ति अत्र ततः दुह्खतरम् वनम् || २-२८-१८
18. atra = In the forest; vaataaH = air; timiram = darkness; atiiva = are very much; nityashaH = always; bubukshhaa = hunger; mahaanti = great; bhayaani cha = fears also; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is very much a misery.
"In the forest, air and darkness are too much. There are always hunger and great fears too. Hence, dwelling in a forest is very much a misery."
सरी सृपाः च बहवो बहु रूपाः च भामिनि |
चरन्ति पृथिवीम् दर्पात् अतः दुखतरम् वनम् || २-२८-१९
19. bhaamini = Oh; Sita! Various creeping animals; bahuruupaaH = of different forms; charanti = room about; pR^ithiviim = on earth; darpaat = with pride; tataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is great misery.
"Oh, Sita! Various creeping animals of different forms roam about on earth with pride. Hence dwelling in a forst is a great misery."
नदी निलयनाः सर्पा नदी कुटिल गामिनः |
तिष्ठन्ति आवृत्य पन्थानम् अतः दुह्खतरम् वनम् || २-२८-२०
20. sarpaaH = snakes; nadiinilayanaaH = dwelling in rivers; nadiikutilagaaminaH = moving crookedly like rivers; tishhThanti = stay; aavR^itya = obstructing; panthaanam = the way; tataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is great misery.
"Snakes dwelling in rivers, moving crookedly like rivers, stay obstucting the pathways. Hence, living in forest is a great misery."
पतम्गा वृश्चिकाः कीटा दंशाः च मशकैः सह |
बाधन्ते नित्यम् अबले सर्वम् दुह्खम् अतः वनम् || २-२८-२१
21. abale = Oh; frail princess! pataNgaaH = flying insects; vR^ishchikaaH = scorpious; kiitaaH = insects; mashakaiH saha = including mosquiteos; damshaashcha = and flies; nityam = always; baadhante = annoy; sarvam = every one; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkham = is hardship.
"Oh, frail princess! Flying insects, scropious, insects including mosquitoes and files always annoy every one. Hence, forest is full of hardship."
द्रुमाः कण्टकिनः चैव कुश काशाः च भामिनि |
वने व्याकुल शाखा अग्राः तेन दुह्खतरम् वनम् || २-२८-२२
22. bhaamini = Oh; Sita! drumaaH = trees; kushakaashaH cha = 'Kusa' grass(poa cynosuroides; a grass with long pointed stalks) and 'kasa' grass(saccharum spontaneum used for mats; roofts etc); kaNTakinashchaiva = bambooes; vyaakula shaakhaagraaH = with ends of branches spread on all sides; vane = are in the forest; tena = henc; vanam = forest; duHkhataram = is very much a misery.
"Oh, Sita! Forest is full of trees, kusa grass and bambooes with ends of their branches spread on all sides. Hence, living in a forest is a great misery."
कायक्लेशाश्च बहवो भयानि विविधानि च |
अरण्यवासे वसतो क्धुःखमेव ततो वनम् || २-२८-२३
23. vasataH = inhabitant; araNya vaase = living in a forest; bahuvaH = (has) many; kaaya kleshaaH = bodily troubles; vividhaani = (has) various; bhayaani cha = panies; tataH = hence; vanam = forest; duHkhameva = really a misery.
"An inhabitant living in a forest has to face various bodily troubles and panics. Hence, forest- life is readly a misery."
क्रोधलोभे विमोक्तव्यौ कर्तव्या तपसे मतिः |
न भेतव्यम् च भेतव्ये नित्यम् दुःखमतो वनम् || २-२८-२४
24. krodha lobhau = anger; greed; vimoktavyau = are to be abandoned; matiH = devotion; kartavyaa = is to be done; tapase = on asceticism; bhetavye = what needs to be feared; bhetavyam = should not be feared; ataH = hence; vanam = forest; nityam = is always; duHkham = suffering.
"Anger and greed are to be abandoned by the dwellers of forest. Devotion is to be bestowed on asceticism. What needs to be feared, should not be feared. Hence, living in a forest is a suffereing."
तत् अलम् ते वनम् गत्वा क्षमम् न हि वनम् तव |
विमृशन्न् इह पश्यामि बहु दोषतरम् वनम् || २-२८-२५
25. ta = therefore; te = to you; alam = enough; gatvaa = went; vanam = to forest; tava = to you; vanam = forest; na hi = is not indeed; kshhamam = bearble; vimR^ishan = reflecting; iha = now; pashyaami = I perceive; vanam = forest; bahudoshhataram = as having too many disadvantages.
"Therefore, do away with the idea of your coming to the forest. Forest is not indeed bearable for you. Reflecting now, I perceive forest as having too many disadvantages."
वनम् तु नेतुम् न कृता मतिस् तदा |
बभूव रामेण यदा महात्मना |
न तस्य सीता वचनम् चकार तत् |
ततः अब्रवीद् रामम् इदम् सुदुह्खिता || २-२८-२६
26. yadaa = when; raameNa = by Rama; mahaatmanaa = the great souled; matiH = the mind; na babhuuva = was not; kR^itaa = set; netum = to take; vanam = to forest; tadaa = then; suduHkhitaa = the much aggrieved; siitaa = Sita; nachakaara = did not accept; tasya = his; tat = that; vachanam = word; tataH = afterwords; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; raamam = to Rama.
As the great souled Rama did not agree to take her to the forest, the much aggrieved Sita spoke to Rama as follows:-
- - -
|| इति अयोध्य कान्दे रामयने ष्टाविंशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
Fastest FTPS and FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Software