In this chapter Seetha asks Rama to take her to the forest.
evam uktaa tu vaidehii priya arhaa priya vaadinii |
praNayaat eva samkruddhaa bhartaaram idam abraviit || 2-27-1
1. vaidehi = Sita; priya vaadinii = who speaks kindly; priyaarhaa = deserves kind utterances; evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; samkruddhaa = became angry; praNayaadeva = only because of love; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; bhartaaram = to husband.
Sita, who speaks kindly and deserves kind utterances, after hearing Rama's words, became angry out of love alone and spoke thus to her husband.
kimidam bhaashhase raama vaakyam laghutayaa dhruvam |
tvayaa yadapahaasyam me shrutvaa naravaraatmaja || 2-27-2
2. raama = Oh; Rama; naravaraatmaja = the prince! kim vaakyam = what words; idam = these; bhaashaase = you are speaking? yat = which words; laghutayaa = as they are light; dhruvam = certainly; apahaasyam = are to be laughed at; tvayaa = by you; me = and to me; shrutvaa = after hearing.
Oh, Rama the prince! What words these are you speaking? These light words certainly are to be laughed at by you and to me after hearning.
aarya putra pitaa maataa bhraataa putraH tathaa snuShaa |
svaani puNyaani bhunjaanaaH svam svam bhaagyam upaasate || 2-27-3
3. aarya putra = oh; noble prince! pitaa = father; maataa = mother; bhraataa = brother; putraH = son; tathaa = and snushhaa = daughter in law; upaasate = accomplish; svamsvam = their own; bhaagyam = good fortune; bhuJNaanaaH = as benefitted; svaani = by their own; puNyaani = pious deals.
"Oh, noble prince! Father, mother, brother, son and daughter-in-law accomplish their own good fortune, as benefitted by their own pious deeds."
bhartur bhaagyam tu bhaaryaa ekaa praapnoti puruSha R^iShabha |
ataH caiva aham aadiShTaa vane vastavyam iti api || 2-27-4
4. purushharshhabha = oh; best of men! bhaaryaa = wife; ekaa = for one; praapnoti = gets; bhartR^ibhaagyamtu = fortune of the husband; atashcha = for that reason; ahamapi = I am also; aadishhTaa eva = ordered; vastavyamiti = to dwell; vane = in the forest.
"Oh, Rama the best of men! Wife for one gets fortune of the husband. For that reason, I am also destined to dwell in the forest."
na pitaa na aatmajo na aatmaa na maataa na sakhii janaH |
iha pretya ca naariiNaam patir eko gatiH sadaa || 2-27-5
5. pitaa = father; na = not recomrese; mna = not; aatmajaH = son; na = not; aatmaa = the self; aa = not; maataa = mother; na = not; sakhiijanaH = female companions; naariiNaam = to women; patiH = husband; ekaH = for one; sadaa = forever; gatiH = is recourse; iha = in this world; pretyacha = or after death.
" To a woman, father or son or self or mother or female companion are not the recourse. Husband alone is forever the best recourse either in this world or after her death".
yadi tvam prasthitaH durgam vanam adya eva raaghava |
agrataH te gamiShyaami mR^idnantii kusha kaNTakaan || 2-27-6
6. raaghava = Oh; Rama! adyaiva = now itself; tvam prasthitaH yadi = if you set forth; vanam = to the forest; durgam = which is difficult to be travelled; gamishhyaami = I shall proceed; te agrataH = before you; mR^idnantii = by trampling down; dusha kaNdakaan = grass with long pointed stalks and thorns.
"Oh, Rama! If you set forth now itself to the forest, which is difficult to be travelled, I shall come before you, by trampling down thorns and grass with long pointed stalks."
iirShyaa roShau bahiSh kR^itya bhukta sheSham iva udakam |
naya maam viira vishrabdhaH paapam mayi na vidyate || 2-27-7
7. vira = Oh; brave ma! bahishhkR^itya = by abandoning; iirshhyaaroshhau = impatience and anger; udakam iva = as water; bhukta seshham = left over after driniking; visrabdhaH = having faith; naya = take; maam = me; navidyate = there is no; paapam = sin; muyi = in me.
"Oh, brave man! By abandoning, as water left over after drinking, the impatience and anger and having faith, take me. There is no sin in me."
praasaada agraiH vimaanaiH vaa vaihaayasa gatena vaa |
sarva avasthaa gataa bhartuH paadac chaayaa vishiShyate || 2-27-8
8. paadachchhayaa = protection under the feet; bhartuH = of husband; vishishhyate = is better than; praasaadaagraiH = top of a lofty building; vimaanairvaa = or aerial cars; vaihaayasagatena vaa = or moving through the sky; sarvavasthagataa = or attaining all types of positions.
"Protection under the feet of the husband is better than being on top of a lofty building or in aerial cars or in moving through the sky or in attaining all types of positions."
anushiShTaa asmi maatraa ca pitraa ca vividha aashrayam |
na asmi samprati vaktavyaa vartitavyam yathaa mayaa || 2-27-9
9. anushishhTaa = I was taught; vividhaashrayam = of different subjects; maatraacha = by mother; pitraacha = and by father; naasmi = I need not; vaktavyaa = be told; samprati = now; yathaa = how; vartitarvyam = to deal in any way with any one.
"My mother and father taught me of different matters long ago. I need not be told now, how to deal in any way with anyone."
aham durgam gamishhyaami vanam purushhavarjitam |
naanaamR^igagaNaakiirNam shaarduulavR^ikasevitam || 2-27-10
10. aham = I; gamishhyaami = can go; vanam = to forest; durgam = which is inaccessible; purushhavarjitam = which is devoid of people; naanaa mR^igagaNaakiirNam = filled with various types of animals; shaarduula vR^ika sevitam = inhabited by tigers and jackals.
" I can come to forest which is inaccessible, which is devoid of people, filled with various types of animals and inhaited by tigers and jackals."
sukham vane nivatsyaami yathaa eva bhavane pituH |
acintayantii triiml lokaamH cintayantii pati vratam || 2-27-11
11. achintayantii = Not thinking; triin lokaan = of there worlds; chintayantii = thinking pativratam = of loyalty to husband; nivatsyaami = I shall dwell; vane = in the forest; sukham = happily; yathaiva = as though it is; pituH = father's; bhavane = house.
"Not thinking of three world, thinking of loyalty to husband, I shall dwell in the forest happily as though staying in our father's house".
shushruuShamaaNaa te nityam niyataa brahma caariNii |
saha ra.nsye tvayaa viira vaneShu madhu gandhiShu || 2-27-12
12. viiva = Oh; brave man! shushruushhamaaNaa = doing service; te = to you; nityam = ragularly; niyataa = having discipline; brahmachaariNii = observing chastity; ramsye = I would like to stay; tvayaasaha = with you; vaneshhu = in the forests; madhugandhishhu = which smell like honey.
"Oh, brave man! performing service to you regularly, having the necessary discipline, observing chastity, I would like to stay with you in the forests which smell like honey."
tvam hi kartum vane shaktaH raama samparipaalanam |
anyasya pai janasya iha kim punar mama maanada || 2-27-13
13. raama = Oh; Rama; maanada = the giver of honour! iha = here; vane = in the forest; tvam = you; shaktaH hi = are indeed capable; kartum = to undertake; samparipaalanapi = protection also; anyasya janasya = of other people; kimpunaH = why to tell; mama = about me?
"Oh, Rama, the bestower of honour! Here in the forest, you are indeed capable of protecting other people also. Why to tell about my protection?"
saha tvayaa gamishyaami vasamadya na sa.nshayaH |
naaham shakyaa mahaabhaaga nivartayitu mudyataa || 2-2714
14. adya = today; gamishhyaami = I will go; vanam = to forest; tvayaasaha = along with you; na = No; samshayaH = doubt; mahaabhaaga = oh; the illustrious! aham = I; udyataa = ready(to go to forest) na shakyaa = cannot; nivartayitum = be prevented.
"Today no doubt, I will come to forest along with you. Oh, the illustrious! I, with this intention, cannot be prevented to do so."
phala muula ashanaa nityam bhaviShyaami na sa.nshayaH |
na te duhkham kariShyaami nivasantii saha tvayaa || 2-27-15
15. nityam = always; bhavishhyaami = I will become; phalamulaashanaa = the eater of fruits and roots; na = no; samshayaH = doubt; nivasantii = residing; tvayaasaha = along with you; na karishhyaami = I will not create; duHkham = unpleasantness; te = to you.
I shall live only on roots and fruits always, no doubt. Living along with you, I shall not create any unpleasantness to you.
icchaami saritaH shailaan palvalaani vanaani ca |
draShTum sarvatra nirbhiitaa tvayaa naathena dhiimataa || 2-27-16
16. tvayaa = with you; dhiimataa = the learned; naathena = and the lord; nirbhiitaa = without fear; sarvatra = everywhere; ichchhaami = I wish; drashhTum = to see; saritaH = rivers; shailaan = mountains; palvalaani = small lakes; vanaanicha = and grooves.
" With you the learned and the lord, I shall not have fear anywhere. I wish to see rivers, mountains, small lakes and grooves."
ha.nsa kaaraNDava aakiirNaaH padminiiH saadhu puShpitaaH |
iccheyam sukhinii draShTum tvayaa viireNa samgataa || 2-27-17
17. sangataa = coming together; tvayaa = with you; viireNa = the courageous man; sukhinii = being comfortable; ichchheyam = I desire; drashhTum = to see; padminiiH = lotus-ponds; hamsakaaraNdavaakiirNaa = filled with swans; water-fowls; saadhu = excellent; pushhpitaa = in bloom.
I shall be comfortable, by coming together with you, the courageous man. I desire to see lotus- ponds filled with swans, water-fowls and excellently flowered.
abhishhekam karishhyaami taasu nityam yatavrataa |
saha tvayaa vishaala akSha ra.nsye parama nandinii || 2-27-18
18. vishaalaakshha = Oh; the large eyed lord! yatavrataa = remaining dedicated; karishhyaami = I shall take; abhishhekam = bath; nityam = regularly; taasu = in those lakes; paramanandinii = with full of joy; ramsye = I shall sport; tvayaasaha = with you.
"Oh, the large eyed lord! Remaining dedicated to you, I shall take bath regularly in those lakes and with full of joy, I shall sport with you."
evam varSha sahasraaNaam shatam vaa aham tvayaa saha |
vyatikramam na vetsyaami svargo.api hi na me mataH || 2-27-19
19. aham = I; tvayaasaha = along with you; evam = thus; shatamvaapi = spending also hundred; varshhasahasraaNaam = thousand years; ravetsyaami = shall not find; vyatikramam = deviation me = to me; svaro.api = heaven also; namataH hi = indeed is not desired.
Thus spending even a hundred thousand years in your company I shall never find any deviation/ Heaven also will not be acceptable to me otherwise.
svarge api ca vinaa vaaso bhavitaa yadi raaghava |
tvayaa mama nara vyaaghra na aham tam api rocaye || 2-27-20
20. naravyaaghra = Oh; lion among men! raaghava = oh; secion of Raghu! mama = to me; tvayaa vinaa = without you; svarge.api = even in heaven; bhavitaayadi = is to become; vaasaH = residence; aham = I; na rochaye = do not like tamapi = that too.
Oh, Lion among men and seion of Raghu! Even if in heaven there is residence for me without you, I do not like it.
aham gamiShyaami vanam sudurgamam |
mR^iga aayutam vaanara vaaraNaiH yutam |
vane nivatsyaami yathaa pitur gR^ihe |
tava eva paadaav upagR^ihya sammataa || 2-27-21
21. aham = I; gamishhyaami = can go; vanam = to forest; sundargamam = which is very much inaccessible; mR^igaayutam = mingled with animals; vaanaravaarNaiH = occupied by monkeys and elephants; upagR^ihya = clinging; tava paadaaveva = your feet alone; samyataa = with restraint; nivatsyaami = I shall dwell; vane = in the forest; gR^iheyathaa = as thought in the house; pituH = of father.
I shall proceed to the forest, which is very much inaccessible and occupied by monkeys, elephants as well as other animals. Clining to your feet alone, I shall dwell in the forest as though in father's home.
ananya bhaavaam anurakta cetasam |
tvayaa viyuktaam maraNaaya nishcitaam |
nayasva maam saadhu kuruShva yaacanaam |
na te mayaa ataH gurutaa bhaviShyati || 2-27-22
22. ananya bhaavaam = without anyother thought; anurakta chetanam = my mind attached to you; viyuktaam = if separated; tvayaa = from you; nischitaam = having decided; maraNaaya = to die; nayasva = usher; maam = me; kurushhva = grant; saadhu = well; yaachanaam = my prayer; ataH = due to this; na bhavishhyati = there will be no; gurutaa = burden; te = to you; maya = by me.
"Therefore, grant well my prayer and usher me- me without any other thought, whose mind is fondly attached to you and who am determined to die if separated from you. Due to this, there will be no burden to you from me."
tathaa bruvaaNaam api dharma vatsalo |
na ca sma siitaam nR^i varaH niniiShati |
uvaaca ca enaam bahu samnivartane |
vane nivaasasya ca duhkhitaam prati || 2-27-23
23. nR^ivaraH = Rama the best of men; dharmavatsalaH = who is fond of righteousness; na niniishhitisma = was not inclined to take; siitaam = Sita; bruvaaNaamapi = who was even though speaking; tathaa = thus; samnivartane = to hold her back; uvaacha cha = he talked also; habu = highly; enaam = to her; duHkhitaam prati = about afflictions; nivaasasya = fo dwelling; vane = in a forest.
sita along with him eventhought she was speaking as a foresaid. To hold her back from coming to forest, he also started talking highly of the various afflictions she might have to face in a forest.
- - -
|| iti shrimad raamayane ayodhya kaande shhatvi.nsaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
Check here for
Secure FTPS and FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP Client