In this chapter Kausalya bids farewell to Rama preparing to go to forest. Rama leaves her residence and goes to Seetha.
saa apaniiya tam aayaasam upaspR^ishya jalam shuci |
cakaara maataa raamasya mangalaani manasvinii || 2-25-1
1. saa = that Kausalya; manasvinii = themagnanimous; maataa = mother; apaniiya = putting away; tam aayaasam = = that grief; upaspR^ishya jalam = sipped water from the palm of the hand; shuchiH = became purified; chakaara = performed; maNgaLaani = rites ; conduciveto welfare; raamasya = of Rama.
Kausalya, the magnanimous mother putting away her grief, sipped water from the palm of the hand, became purified and performed rites conducive to the welfare of Rama.
na shakyase vaarayauitum gachchhedaaniim raghuttama |
shriighram cha vinivartasva vartasva cha sataam krame || 2-25-2
2. raghottama = Oh; Rama!; na shakyase = you cannotbe; vaarayitum = restrained; gachcha = Depat; idaamiim = now; vinivartasva = Return; shiighram = soon. > vartasva = Abide; krame = in the way; sataam = of the righteous.
"Oh, Rama! Your departure cannot be restrained, depart now, return soon. Abide in the footsteps of the virtuous."
yam paalayasi dharmam tvam dhR^ityaa cha niyamena cha |
savai raaghavashaardula! dharmastvaamabhirakshatu || 2-25-3
3. raaghava shaarduula = Oh; Rama; the bestof born in Raghu dynasty! yam dharmam = which righteousness; tvam = you; paalayasi = are fostering; dhR^itvaa = with courage ; niyamenacha = and discipline; saH dharmaH vai = thatrighteousness; abhirakshhatu = will protect; tvaam = you.
"Oh, Rama! Let that righteousness, which you are fostering with courage and discipline , protect you".
yebhyaH praNamase putra chaityeshhvaayataneshhu cha |
te cha tvaamabhirakshantu vane saha maharshhibhiH || 2-25-4
4. putra = Oh; son!; yebhyaH = To whom; praNamase = you will be bowing in salutation; chaityeshu = in crossroads; aayataneshhucha = and in temples; te = those; maharshhibhisaha = along with greatsaints; abhirakshhatu = will protect; tvaam = you; vane = in the forest.
"Oh, son! To whom you will be bowing in salutation at cross-roads and in temples, those along with great saints will protect you in the forest.
yaani dattaani te.a straaNi vishvaamitreNa dhiimataa |
taani tvaamabhirakshantu guNaissamuditam sadaa || 2-25-5
5. yaami astraaNi = which arms; dattaani = were given; te = to you visvaamitreNa = by Viswamitra ; dhiimataa = the wise; taani = those; sadaa = always ; abhirakshhatu = will protect; tvaam = you ; samuditam = who are filled; guNaiH = with good qualities.
"All the arms given by the wise sage Viswamitra to you, will ever protect you who are rich in good qualities"
pitR^ishushrushhayaa putra maatR^ishu shruushhayaa tathaa |
satyena cha mahaabaaho chiram jiivaabhirakshitaH || 2-25-6
6. putra = Oh; son; mahaa baaho = with magnificientarms!; abhirakshhitaH = Protected; pitR^isushruushhayaa = by service to father; tathaa = and; maatRi sushruushhayaa = service to mother; satyena = by Truth; chiramjiiva = you will be long lived!
"Oh, son with magnificent arms! Protected by your service to father and service to mother as well as truthfulness, you will belong-lived"
samitkushapavitraaNi vedyashchaayatanaani cha |
sthaNDhilaani vichitraaNi shailaa vR^ikshaaH kushuphaa hradaaH || 2-25-7
pataN^gaaH pannagaaH simhaastvaam rakshantu narottama |
7. narottama = Oh; Rama; among men!; samitkusha pavitraaNi = woodensticks used for feeding the sacred fire ; blades of the sacred kusa grass andrings of kusa grass.vedaishcha = sacrificialaltars; aayatanaanicha = temples; vichitraaNi = various; sthaNdilaani = sitesselected by Brahmanas for worship ofgods; shailaaH = mountains; vR^ikshhaaH = trees; kshhupaaH = bushes; hradaaH = pools of water; pataNgaaH = birds; ; pannagaaH = snakes; simhaaH = lions; rakshhantu = may protect; tvaam = you.
"Oh, Rama, the best among men! May the wooden sticks used for feeding the sacred fire, blades of the sacred Kusa grass and rings of Kusa grass(worn on the forth finger on sacrificial occasions)sacrificial altars , temples and various sites selected by Brahmanas for worship of gods, mountains, trees, bushes, large and deep pools of water, birds, snakes and lions protect you."
svasti saadhyaaH ca vishve ca marutaH ca maharShayaH || 2-25-8
svasti dhaataa vidhaataa ca svasti puuShaa bhago aryamaa |
R^itavaH caiva pakShaaH ca maasaaH samvatsaraaH kShapaaH || 2-25-9
8;9. saadhyaashcha = Saadhyas; vishvecha = viswadevas ; marutashcha = wind-gods; maharshhayaH = eminentsages; svasti = may ensure your happiness; dhaataa = The CosmicPerson; vidhaataacha = the creator; svasthi = may bring happiness toyou; puushhaa = Pusha; bhagaH = Bhaga; aaryamaa = Aryama; svasthi = may do good to you; tathaa = and; sarve = all; te lokapaalashcha = those guardians of spheres; vaasavapramukhaaH = with head as Indra.
"May the saadhyas and viswadevas (two different kinds of gods) and wind-gods along with eminent sages ensure your happiness. May the cosmic person and the creator bring happiness to you. May the Pusha, Bhaga and Aryama (three of the twelve sons of Aditi)and the guardians of the spheres with Indra as their Head do good to you."
R^itavashchaiva pakshaashcha maasaassamvatsaraaH kshapaaH |
dinaani ca muhuurtaaH ca svasti kurvantu te sadaa || 2-25-10
10. Ritavashchaiva = Theseasons; pakshhaashcha = the fortnights ; maasaH = the months; samvatsaraaH = years; kshhapaaH = nights; divaanicha = days; muhuurtaashcha = hours ; (each muhurtha containing 48 minutes being 30 th part of aday); sadaa = always; kurvanta = may do svasti = good; te = to you
"May the six seasons, all the fortnights and months, years, nights, days and hours always do good to you.
smR^itir dhR^itiH ca dharmaH ca paantu tvaam putra sarvataH |
skandaH ca bhagavaan devaH somaH ca sabR^ihaspatiH || 2-25-11
sapta R^iShayo naaradaH ca te tvaam rakShantu sarvataH |
11. putra = Oh; son! ; smR^itiH = veda; the smrititexts; dhR^itishcha = Resolution and satisfaction personified as a daughter of Daksha and wifeof Dharma ; dharmashcha = piety personified; paatu = may protect ; tvaam = you; sarvataH = from all sides. Bhagavaan = The gracious Lord; devaH = thediety; skandashcha = Skanda; somashcha = the moon-god; saH = that; bR^ihaspatiH = Brihaspati; preceptor of gods; saptarshhayoH = the sevensages ; naaradashcha = Sage Narada; rakshhantu = may guard; tvaam = you; sarvataH = on all sides.
"May Veda, the Smriti texts taken as one body, the resolution and the piety protect you, my son! May lord Skanda (the younger son of Lord Siva)and the moon god along with the sage Brihaspati(the preceptor of gods), the well known seven sages as well as Sage Narada guard you on all sides."
yaashchaapi sarvataH siddaa dishshca sadigiishvaraaH || 2-25-12
stutaa mayaa vane tasmin paantutvaam putra nityashaH |
12. putra = Oh; son! yaaH = Which ; dishashcha = four quarters; sadigiishvaraaH = along with guardiansof quarters; siddhaaH = who are glorious; stutaaH = are praised; mayaa = byme; (they); paantu = may protect; nityashaH = always; sarvataH = on all sides; tasmin vane = in that forest.
"May the four quarters along with the glorious guardians of the four quarters which are enlogised by me may protect you always on all sides in that forest."
shailaaH sarve samudraashcha raajaa varuNa eva cha || 2-25-13
dyaurantariksham pR^ithivii nadyassarvaastathaiva cha |
nakShatraaNi ca sarvaaNi grahaaH ca sahadevataaH || 2-25-14
ahoraatre tathaa sandhye paantu tvaam vanamaashritam |
13;14. sarve = All; shailaaH = mountains; samudraashcha = oceans; raajaa = king(of oceans)varuNa eva> cha = Varuna; dyou = heaven ; pR^ithiviicha = and the earth ; antharikshham = theintermediate space betweenthem; tathaivacha = and; sarvaaH = all; nadyaH = rivers; sarvaaNi = all; nakshhatraaNicha = stars; gR^ihaashcha = astrological mansions ; sahadevataaH = including gods; ahoraatre = day and night; tathaa = and; sandhye = the morning and evening twilights; paantu = may protect; tvaam = you; vanam aashritam = residing in forest.
" Let all mountains , oceans, king(of oceans) Varuna, heaven and earth, the intermediate space between them , rivers , astrological mansions including gods presiding over them, day and night, the morning and evening twilights may protect you while you reside in the forest ."
R^itavashchaiva shhTpuNyaa maasaaH samvatsaraastathaa || 2-25-15
kalaashcha kaashhThaashcha tathaa tava sharma dishantu te |
15. puNyaaH = The holy; shhaT = six; R^itavashchaiva = seasons; te = those; maasaaH = months; tathaa = and; samvatsaraaH = years; kalaashcha = the measure of time; Kala ; kaashhTaashcha = andKasta; dishastu = bestow; tava = you; sharma = happiness.
"The six holy seasons, months, years and the measures of time known as Kala (equilent to one minute) and Kastha(1/30th of Kala or two seconds)bestow you happiness"
mahaa vanaani carataH muni veShasya dhiimataH || 2-25-16
tavaadityaashcha daityaashcha bhavantu sukhadaaH sadaa |
16. aadityaashcha = Heavenly deities; the sons of Aditi; daityaashcha = demons ; the sons of Diti; sadaa = ever; bhavantu = become; sukhadaaH = bestowers of happiness; tava = to you; vicharataH = while you traverse; mahaavane = in the large forest; muniveshhasya = in the guise of a hermit; dhiimataH = full of wisdom.
"Let the heavenly deities and the demons too ever grant happiness on you while you traverse through the large forest, in the guise of a hermit and full of wisdom "
raakshasaanaam pishaachaanaam raudraaNaam kruurakarmaNaam || 2-25-17
kravyaadaanaam cha sarveshham maabhuutputraka te bhayam |
17. putraka = Oh; son!; maabhuut = Let there notbe; bhayam = fear; te = for you; raakshhasaanaam = of demons; raudraaNaam = the terrible ones; kruura karmaaNaam = performing crueldeeds; pishaachaanaam = of devilish beings called Pisaachas (possibly so called either from their fondness of flesh or from their yellowish appearance)sarveshhaam = of all; kravyaadaanaamcha = of cornivorousanimals
"Oh, son! Let there not be fear for you of demons the terrible ones performing cruel deeds, of devilish beings called Pisachas and of all carnivorous animals."
plavagaa vR^ishcikaa da.nshaa mashakaaH caiva kaanane || 2-25-18
sarii sR^ipaaH ca kiiTaaH ca maa bhuuvan gahane tava |
18. maa bhuuvan = Let there notbe; plavagaaH = monkeys; vR^ihchikaaH = scorpions; damshaaH = gad-flies; mashakaashchaivaH = mosquitoes; sariisR^ipaashcha = snakes; kiitaashcha = and other insects; tava = foryou; kaanane = in the forest; gahane = which is impenetrable.
"In that impenetrable forest occupied by you, let there be no monkeys, scorpions, gad fies, mosquitoes, snakes or other insects ."
mahaa dvipaaH ca simhaaH ca vyaaghraaR^ikShaaH ca damShTriNaH || 2-25-19
mahiShaaH shR^ingiNo raudraa na te druhyantu putraka |
19. putraka = Oh; son!; mahaadvipaashcha = Great ellphants; damshhTriNaH = with tusks; vyaaghraaH = tigers; R^ikshhashcha = bears; raudraH = terrible mahishhaaH = he-baffaloes; sR^iNgiNah = with horns; na druhyantu = be nothostile; te = to you.
"Oh, son! Let the great elephants , lions with tusks, tigers, bears, terrible he-buffaloes with horns not to be hostile to you.
nR^i maa.nsa bhojanaa raudraa ye ca anye sattva jaatayaH || 2-25-20
maa ca tvaam hi.nsiShuH putra mayaa sampuujitaaH tu iha |
20. putra = Oh; son!; ye = which; anye = other; roudraaH = ferocious; nR^imaamsa bhojinaH = man-eaters; sattva jaatayaH = belonging to animal species; sampuujitaaH = worshipped; mayaa = by me; iha = here; maacha himsishhuH = let them nothurt; tvaam = you.
"Oh, son! Let the other ferocious man-eaters belonging to animal-species, being worshipped by me here, not hurt you."
aagamaaH te shivaaH santu sidhyantu ca paraakramaaH || 2-25-21
sarva sampattayo raama svastimaan gaccha putraka |
21. raama = Oh; Rama; putraka = my son! te = your ; aagamaaH = path-ways; santu = be; shivaah = propitious!; paraakramaashcha = valour; siddhyantu = powerful ! gachchha = go; svastimaan = having felicitousness; sarvasampattaye = with all accomplishments !
"Oh, Rama, my son! May your path-ways be propitious ! Let your valour be powerful! Go well with all accomplishments!.
svasti te astu aantarikShebhyaH paarthivebhyaH punaH punaH || 2-25-22
sarvebhyaH caiva devebhyo ye ca te paripanthinaH |
22. astu = Let there be; svasti = security; te = to you ; antarikshhebhyaH = against those dwelling in theatmosphere ; punaH = and; sarvebhyaH = all; devebhyashchaiva = celestial beings; ye = who; paripanthinaH = the enemies; te = to you .
"Let there be security to you against those dwelling in the atmosphere and on the earth as well as against all the celestials as also your enemies."
guruH somashcha suuryashcha dhanado.atha yamastathaa || 2-25-23
paantu tvaamarchitaa raama! daNDakaaraNyavaasinam |
23. raama = Oh; Rama! ; guruH = Venus; somashcha = moon; suuryashcha = sun; atha = and ; dhanadaH = Kubera; the god of riches; tathaa = and; yamaH = Yama; the god of death ; architaH = = being worshipped; paantu = may protect ; tvaam = you; daNdakaaraNya vaasinam = dwelling in the forest of Dandaka.
"Oh, Rama! May Venus and the moon as also the sun and Kubera (the god of wealth) and Yama (the god of death) who are being worshipped by me, protect you, while you reside in the forest of Dandaka"
agnirvaayustathaa dhuumomantraashcharshhimukhaachchyutaaH || 2-25-24
upasparshanakaale tu paantu tvaam raghundadana |
24. raghunandana = Oh; Rama! mantraashcha = The sacred hymns; chyutaaH = coming forth from ; agniH = fire; vaayuH = air; tathaa = and; dhuumaH = vapour; R^ishhi mukhaat = from the mouth of the singer of sacred hymns; paantu = may protect; tvaam = you; upasparshana kaaletu = at the time of taking bath.
"Oh, Rama! May sacred hymns coming forth from fire, air , vapour, and from the mouth of singer of sacred hymns protect you at the time of taking bath."
sarva loka prabhur brahmaa bhuuta bhartaa tathaa R^iShayaH || 2-25-25
ye ca sheShaaH suraaH te tvaam rakShantu vana vaasinam |
25. sarvaloka prabhuH = Siva; the lord of all spheres; brahmaa = brahma; the lord of creation; bhuuta bhartaa = Vishnu; the supporter of beings; tathaa = and; RishhayaH = the sages; sheshhaah = rest of; ye = which ; suraaH = celestials; te = they too; rakshhantu = may protect; tvaam = you; vanavaasinam = dwelling in the forest.
"Let Siva, the lord of all spheres, Brahma, the lord of creation, Vishnu, the nourisher of beings, the sages and the rest of the celestials may protect you dwelling in the forest.
iti maalyaiH sura gaNaan gandhaiH ca api yashasvinii || 2-25-26
stutibhiH ca anuruupaabhir aanarca aayata locanaa |
26. iti = uttering thus ; yashasvinii = the illustious Kausalya; aayatalochanaa = having large eyes ; aanarcha = worshipped ; suragaNaam = troops of divinities; maalyaiH = with garlands ; gandhaishchaapi = with sandal paste ; anuruupaabhiH = with befitting; stutibhishcha = hymns of praise .
Uttering thus, the illustrious Kausalya having large eyes, worshipped troops of divinities with garlands , sandal paste and befitting hymns of praise.
jvalanam samupaadaaya braahmaNena mahaatmanaa || 2-25-27
haavayaamaasa vidhinaa raamamaN^galakaaraNaat |
27. samupaadaaya = Duly procuring; jvalanam = fire; haavayaamaasa = caused oblation to be poured into it; vidhinaa = as per direction; braahmaNena = by a Brahmana; mahaatmanaa = who is high souled; raama maNgaLa kaaraNaat = for the purpose of Rama's well-being .
Duly procuring fire, she caused oblation to be poured into it, as per the direction of a high souled brahmana for the purpose of Rama's well- being .
ghR^itam shvetaani maalyaani samidhaH shvetasarshhapaan || 2-25-28
upasampaadayaamaasa kausalyaa pamaaN^ganaa |
28. kausalyaa = Kausalya; paramaaNganaa = the excellent woman; upasampaadayaamaasa = procured together; ghR^itam = clarified butter; shvetaani = white; maalyaani = garlands; samidhaH = ceremonial sticks; svetha sarshhapaan = white mustard seeds.
Kausalya, the excellent woman procured clarified butter , white garlands, ceremonial sticks and white mustard seeds.
upaadhyaayaH sa vidhinaa hutva shaantimanaamayam || 2-25-29
hutahavyaavasheshheNa baahyam balimakalpayat |
29. saH = That; upaadhyaaya = preceptor; shaantim hutvaa = performed ceremony for peace; vidhinaa = as per statute; anaamayam = without error; akalpayat = carried out; balim = propitiatory oblation ; baahyam = externally; huta havyaavasheshheNa = with the remaining sacrificial food ; left after the main offering.
That preceptor performed ceremony for peace as per the statute as well as without error and carried out propitiatory oblation externally with the remaining sacrificial food left after the main offering .
madhudadyakshataghR^itaiH svastivaachya dvijaam stataH || 2-25-30
vaachayaamaasa raamasya vane svastyayanakriyaaH |
30. svastivaachya = Got uttered hymns of welfare; dvijaan = by brahmanas; madhu dadhyakshhataghR^itaiH = with honey; curd; unbroken grains of rice; and clarified butter; tataH = then; vaachayaamaasa = got uttered; svastyayanakriyaaH = hymns relating to rites which generate well being ; raamasya = of Rama.
She then got brahmanas to pronounce blessings with honey, curd , unbroken grains of rice and clarified butter by the repetition of certain hymns and to utter prayers for the well - being of Rama in the forest.
tatastanmai dvijendraaya raamamaataa yashasvinii || 2-25-31
dakshiNaam pradadau kaamyaam raaghavam chedamabraviit |
31. yashasvinii = The illustrious; raamamaataa = Kausalya; the mother of Rama; tataH = therafter; pradadou = gave; kaamyaam = the desired; dakshhiNaam = fee; tasmai = to that; dvijendraaya = chief of brahmanas; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words ; raaghavam = to Rama:-
The illustrious Kausalya gave the desired fee to that chief of brahmanas and spoke as follows to Rama:-
yan mangalam sahasra akShe sarva deva namaH kR^ite || 2-25-32
vR^itra naashe samabhavat tat te bhavatu mangalam |
32. yat maNgalam = = which felicity ; sama bhavat = occured; sahasraakshhe = in Devendra; the thousand-eyed; sarva deva namaskR^ite = adored by all celestials; vR^ittanaashe = while destroying a demon called Vritta; tat maNgalam = let that felicity; bhavatu = occur ; te = to you.
"Which felicity occurred in Devendra the thousand- eyed, adored by all celestials when a demon called Vritta was destroyed, let that felicity occur to you"
yan mangalam suparNasya vinataa akalpayat puraa || 2-25-33
amR^itam praarthayaanasya tat te bhavatu mangalam |
33. yat maNgalam = which blessing; aakalpayat = was invoked ; vinataa = by Vinata; suvarNasya = to Garuda; paarthayasya = who was seeking ; amR^itam = nectar; puraa = in the past; tat maNgalam = may that blessing; bhavatu = happen ; te = to you.
"Which blessing was invoked by Vinata to Garuda who was setting off to bring nectar in the past , may that blessing happen to you."
amR^itotpaadane daityaan ghnato vajradharasya yat || 2-25-34
aditirmaN^gaLam praadaat tatte bhavatu maN^gaLam |
34. yat maNgalam = Which blessing; praadaat = was bestowed; vajradharasya = on Devendra; weilder of the thunder-bolt; ghnataH = who was killing; daityaan = demons; amR^itotpaadane = at the time of producing nectar; tat maNgalam = let that blessing; bhavatu = come; te = to you.
"While blessing was bestowed on Devendra, the wielder of the thunderbolt , killing the demons at the time of producing nectar, let that blessing come to you "
tiinvikramaan prakamato vishhNoramitatejasaH || 2-25-35
yadaasiinmaN^gaLam praadaat tatte bhavatu maN^gaLam |
35. raama = Oh; Rama!; yat maNgalam = Which good fortune; aasiit = occured ; vishhNoH = to Vishnu; amita tejasaH = who was immensely glorious ; prakramataH = while keeping; treen = three; vikramaan = feet; tat maNgalam = let that good fortune; bhavatu = occur; te = to you.
"Oh, Rama! Which good fortune occurred to Vishnu who was immensely glorious while making his three strides (in order to measure the three worlds), let that good fortune come to you
R^itavaH saagaraa dviipaa vedaa lokaa dishshchate || 2-25-36
mamgaLaani mahaabaaho dishantu shubhavaN^gaLaaH |
36. mahaabaaho = Oh; Rama the mighty armed!; R^itavaH = The seasons; saagaraaH = the oceans; dvipaaH = Dvipas; the principal divisions of the earth ; girdled by oceans; vedaaH = vedas; lokaaH = the spheres; dishashcha = the quarters; dishantu = may confer ; maNgalaam = blessings ; shubhamangalaaH = with good luck; te = to you.
"Oh, Rama, the mighty armed! May the seasons , oceans , Dvipas (principal division of earth girdled by oceans ), vedas, various spheres and quarters confer blessings with good luck to you."
iti putrasya sheshhaashcha kR^itvaa shirasi bhaaminii || 2-25-37
gandaa.nshchaapi samaalabhya raamamaayatalo chanaa |
oShadhiim ca api siddha arthaam vishalya karaNiim shubhaam || 2-25-38
cakaara rakShaam kausalyaa mantraiH abhijajaapa ca |
37;38. iti = saying so; kausalya = Kausalya; aayatalochanaaH = the large eyed; bhaaminii = proud woman; kR^itvaa = placed; sheshaashcha = unbroken rice grains; shirasi = on the head; putrasya = of her son; sammalabhya = smeared; gandhaamshchaapi = varieties of sandal pastes; raamam = over Rama; cakaara = made; rakshhaam = an amulet; oshhadhiim = with a herb; vishalyakaraNi = named Vishalyakarani; siddharthaam = which is efficacious; shubhaam = auspicious; abhijajaaphacha = and muttered; mantraiH = Sacred hymns.
saying so, Kausalya, the large eyed proud woman placed some unbroken rice grains on her son's head, smeared varieties of sandal pastes over his body, fastened about his wrist by way of an amulet, a herb called Visalyakarani(so called because it helps in painlessly extracting an arrow stuck into one's body )which is efficacious and auspicious and muttered sacred hymns in order to enhance its virtue.
uvaachaatiprahR^ishhTeva saa duHkhavashartinii || 2-25-39
vaaN^maatreNa na bhaavena vaachaa sa.nsajjamaanayaa |
39. saa = She; dukhavashvartinii = though filled with grief; atiprahR^ishhyeva = appeared like over -joyed; samsajjamaanayaaH = with faultering ; vachaa = words; uvaacha = spoke; vaaNmaatreNa = with only mouth; na = not; bhaavena = with heart.
Though filled with grief inside, she appeared to be over-joyed outside and with faltering words , spoke thus with only mouth and not with her heart.
aanamya muurdhni ca aaghraaya pariShvajya yashasvinii || 2-25-40
avadat putra siddha artho gaccha raama yathaa sukham |
40. yashashvinii = The illustrious Kausalya; aanamya = bent Rama lower; aaghraaya = smelling muurdhni = his head; parishhrajva = embraced; avadat = spoke thus; raama = Rama; putra = my son! gachchha = = go; yathaasukham = with ease; siddhaartha = with accomplishment of purpose as you are.
The illusrious Kausalya embraced Rama, smelling his head by bending it and spoke these words "Rama, my son! Go with ease with accomplishment of purpose, as you are."
arogam sarva siddha artham ayodhyaam punar aagatam || 2-25-41
pashyaami tvaam sukham vatsa susthitam raaja veshmani |
41. vatsa = Oh; son; arogam = with health(without disease) sarva siddhhartham = with all your purposes accomplished; pushyaami = I shall see; tvaam = you; punaH = again; aagatam = coming; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; sukham = happily ; susthitam = well-established; raaja vartmani = in the path of a king
Oh, son! With all your purposes fulfilled and with good health, I shall see you returning to Ayodhya happily and taking over the reins of the kingdom
praNaShThaduHkhasaMkalpaa harshhavidyotitaananaa || 2-25-42
drakshyaami tvaam vanaatrpaaptam puurNachandramivoditam |
42. tvaam = You; praaptam = having come; vanaat = from forest; puurNachandramiva = like a full moon; uditam = rising ; praNashhTa duHkha samkalpaa = my thoughts of grief having been expulsed ; drakshhyaami = I shall behold ; harshha vidyotitaananaa = with my face shining with joy.
"All my thoughts of grief having been expulsed and my face shining with joy, I shall behold you returning from the forest like the full moon rising from the horizon"
bhadraasanagatam raama vanavaasaadihaagatam || 2-25-43
drakshaami cha punastvaam tu tiirNavantam piturvachaH |
43. raama = OH; Rama! tiirNavantam = Having fulfilled; pituH = the father's; vachaH = word; drakshhyaami = I shall behold ; tvaam = you; punaH aagatam = returning; iha = here; vanavaasaat = from so journ in the forest; bhadraasanagatam = and sitting on the splendid throne.
"Oh, Rama! I shall behold you returning here from your sojourn in the forest, having fulfilled your father's word and installed on the splendid throne."
maN^gashairupasampanno vanavaasaadihaagataH || 2-25-44
padhvaa mama cha nityam tvam kaamaan samvardha yaahi bhoH |
44. aagataH = Having come; iha = here; vanavaasaat = from sojourn in the forest ; tvaam = you; upasampannaH = will be familiar; maNgalaiH = with auspicious things; samvardha = will be augmenting; nityam = ever; kaamaan = the desires; vadhvaaH = of Sita the daughter -in-law; mama cha = and of me.yaahi = Depart; bhoH = Oh; Rama!
"Having come here from your sojourn in the forest, you will be familiar with auspicious things and will ever be augmenting the desires of my daughter-in-law and of me. Depart now, Oh, Rama !"
mayaa arcitaa deva gaNaaH shiva aadayo |
maharShayo bhuuta mahaa asura uragaaH |
abhiprayaatasya vanam ciraaya te|
hitaani kaankShantu dishaH ca raaghava || 2-25-45
45. raaghava = Oh; Rama! architaa = Worshipped ; mayaa = by me; devagaNaaH = let the hosts of gods ; shivaadayaH = headed by Lord Siva ; the Supreme Being ; maharshhayaH = the great sages; bhuuta mahaasuroragaaH = spirits; the chief of evil spirits and the celestial serpants; dishashcha = the four quarters; kaaNkshhantu = wish; hitaani = welfare; te = of you; abhiprayaatasya = who is setting forth; vanam = to forest.
"Oh, Rama! Worshipped by me, let the hosts of gods headed by Siva, the Supreme Being, the great sages, spirits, the chief of evil spirits, the celestial serpents and the (four)quarters wish well of you, who is setting forth to forest, "
iti iva ca ashru pratipuurNa locanaa|
samaapya ca svastyayanam yathaa vidhi |
pradakShiNam caiva cakaara raaghavam |
punaH punaH ca api nipiiDya sasvaje || 2-25-46
46. itiiva = Having so said; samaapyacha = and having completed ; svastyayanam = The rite of invoking blessings; yathaavidhi = befitting; ashruprati puurNa lochanaa = Kausalya whose eyes were overflowingwith tears; pradakshhiNam chakaara = further went clockwise ; raaghavam = around Rama; nipiidya = having pressed close to him ; shhasvaje = embraced ; punaH punaHcha api = again and again.
Having so said and having completed the rite of invoking blessings befittingly, Kausalya whose eyes were overflowing with tears, further went clockwise around Rama and having pressed close to him, embraced again and again.
tathaa tu devyaa sa kR^ita pradakShiNo |
nipiiDya maatuH caraNau punaH punaH |
jagaama siitaa nilayam mahaa yashaaH |
sa raaghavaH prajvalitaH svayaa shriyaa || 2-25-47
47. kR^ita pradakshhiNaH = Having been done circumbulation(as a protection); tathaa = thus; devyaa = by the pious woman Kausalya; nipiida = pressing ; maatuH = mother's; charaNau = feet; punaH punaH = again and again; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; mahaashayaa = the highly illustious; prajvalitaH = shining ; svayaa = by his own ; shriyaa = splendour; jagaama = went; sitaanilayam = to Sita's house .
Having been done circumbulation (as a mark of protection) thus by the pious woman Kausalya, that highly illustrious Rama pressing his mother's feet again and again , shining by his own splendour, went to Sita's house
- - -
|| iti raamayane ayodhya kaanda panchavi.nsaH sarga ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
Secure SFTP (SSH) anywhere, Go FTP FREE Software