In this chapter Kausalya requests Rama to take her to forest also. But Rama stops Kausalya saying that service of husband is the ultimate dharma of wife and he obtains her permission for him to go to forest.
tam samīkṣya tu avahitam pitur nirdeśa pālane |
kausalyā bāṣpa samruddhā vaco dharmiṣṭham abravīt || 2-24-1
1. samiikshhya = seeing; tam = him; avahatam = firm minded; nirdeshapaalane = in protecting the command; pituH = of father; bhaashhpa samruddaa = in a choked voice; abraviit = spoke; vachaH = words; dharmishhTham = which are righteous.
Seeing him firm minded in protecting the command of his father, Kausalya in a choked voice spoke these righteous words:
adṛṣṭa duhkho dharmātmā sarva bhūta priyam vadaḥ |
mayi jātaḥ daśarathāt katham uncena vartayet || 2-24-2
2. jaataH = Rama who is born; mayi = in me; dasharathaat = and Dasharatha; dharmaatmaa = is a righteous person; sarvabhuutapriyamvada = who speaks lovingly to all beings; adR^ishhTa duHkhah = who has not seen sorrow ; katham = how; vartayet = can he live; uNchena = by gathering grains fallen on floor ?
�Rama who is born in me and Dasaratha, is a righteous person. He speaks lovingly to all beings. He has not faced grief at any time. How can such a person live in a forest, by gathering grains ?'
yasya bhṛtyāḥ ca dāsāḥ ca mṛṣṭāni annāni bhunjate |
katham sa bhokṣyate nātho vane mūla phalāni ayam || 2-24-3
3. yasya = whose bhR^ityaashcha = dependants and; daasaashcha = servants bhuNJjate = eat; mR^ishTaani = pleasant or tasty annaani = foods ; katham = how ayam = such Rama naatha = the lord ; bhokshhyate = can eat muulaphalaani = roots and fruits vane = in forest ?
"While the dependants and the servants of Lord Rama eat pleasant foods all the while, how can he eat roots and fruits himself in the forest ?"
ka etat śraddadhet śrutvā kasya vā na bhaved bhayam |
guṇavān dayitaḥ rājño rāghavo yad vivāsyate || 2-24-4
4. srutvaa = hearing; etat = that; raghavaH = Rama; dayitaH = the beloved; guNavaan = the virtuous; vivaasyate itivat = is being sent to exile thus; rajJNaa = by king; kaH = who; shraddadhet = will believe ? kasyavaa = to whom; bhayam = fear; nabhavet = is not created ?
"Hearing that Rama the beloved and virtuous is being thus sent to exile by the king , who will believe these words? Who will not develop fear ?"
nūnam tu balavān loke kṛtāntaḥ sarvamādiśan |
loke rāmābhirāmastvam vanam yatra gamiṣyasi || 2-24-5
5. raamaH = oh; Rama ! tvam = you; loke abhiraamaH = the charming in the world; yatra gamishhyati = that you are going ; vanam = to forest; sarvam = everything; aadishan = is ordered by; kR^itaantaH = destiny; nunaam = certainly; balavaan = having ;strength .
�Oh, Rama ! If you , the charming in the world are to go to exile , then it can be certainly said that everything is ordered by a strong destiny'
ayam tu māmātmabhavastavādarśanamārutaḥ |
vilāpaduḥkhasamidho ruditāśruhutāhutiḥ || 2-24-6
karśayitvā bhṛśam putra niśvāsāyāsasambhavaḥ || 2-24-7
tvayā vihīnām iha mām śoka agnir atulo mahān |
pradhakṣyati yathā kakṣam citra bhānur hima atyaye || 2-24-8
6;7;8. kumaaraa = Oh; Son ! ayam shokaagni = this fire of my sorrow; atulaH = which is unique; mahaan = great ; aatmabhavaaH = which is originating in the whole body; tava adarshana maarutaH = having wind of your not being seen; vilaapa duHkha samidhaH = having fire - twigs of lamentation and grief; ruditaashru hutaahutiH = having offering of wailing tears as oblation to fire ; chinthaa bhaashpa mahaa dhumaaH = having great smoke of choking caused by anxiety ; tavaa aagamana chinthajaH = generated out of the thought of your return ; nishvaasaayasa sambhavaH = created out of sigh and fatigue; maam karshayitvaa = makes me emaciated; bhR^isham = much; iha = here; vihiinaam = isolated; tvayaa = with you; pradhakshhyati = can burn; kakshham yathaa = like dry wood ; chitra bhaanuH = by fire ; himaatyaye = in winter .'
"Oh, Son! Soon after your departure to a distant forest, a great and incomparable fire of sorrow will generate in my whole body. The wind which flares it up is your not being seen here. My lamentation and grief are the fire-sticks. My wailing tears will be the offerings as an oblation to fire. The choking and anxiety will be a great smoke .The thought that when you would return, will generate smoke again. Such a fire of grief will make me emaciated completely and will burn like dry wood by fire in winter.'
katham hi dhenuḥ svam vatsam gaccantam na anugaccati |
aham tvā anugamiṣyāmi yatra putra gamiṣyasi || 2-24-9
9. putraH = Oh; Son; kathamhi = how indeed; dhenuH = a cow; naanugachhati = will not follow; svam vatsam = its calf; gachhantam = going ? aham = I; anugamishhyaami = shall follow; yatra = where; tvaa = you; gamishhyaasi = will go."
"Oh, Son! A cow follows its calf wherever it goes. So also, I shall come with you wherever you go."'
tathā nigaditam mātrā tat vākyam puruṣa Rṣabhaḥ |
śrutvā rāmaḥ abravīd vākyam mātaram bhṛśa duhkhitām ||
10. raajaa = king; vaNch^itaH = deceived; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; mayi = I ; aashrite = having recourse to; araNyam = forest; parityaktaH = abandoned; bhavatyaapi = by you also; na vartayishhyati = he will not be alive; nuunam = certain."
"Oh, son! A cow follows its calf wherever it goes. So also, I shall come with you wherever you go."
kaikeyyā vancitaḥ rājā mayi ca araṇyam āśrite |
bhavatyā ca parityaktaḥ na nūnam vartayiṣyati || 2-24-11
11. raajaa = king; vaNch^itaH = deceived; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; mayi = I ; aashrite = having recourse to; araNyam = forest; parityaktaH = abandoned; bhavatyaapi = by you also; na vartayishhyati = he will not be alive; nuunam = certain !'
"Kaikeyi already deceived the king .He will not be alive, when I leave for the forest and you also leave him .It is certain."
bhartuḥ kila parityāgo nṛśaṃsaḥ kevalam striyāḥ |
sa bhavatyā na kartavyo manasā api vigarhitaḥ || 2-24-12
12. striyaaH = to a woman; parityaagaH = abandonment; bhartuH = of husband; nR^ishamsaH kila = is indeed cruel act; kevalam = entirely; saH = that; vigarhitaH = bad act; na KartavyaH = is not to be done; bhavatyaa = by you; manasaapi = even by mind.
"To a woman, abandonment of husband is entirely a cruel act. That bad act is not to be perceived even by mind."
yāvaj jīvati kākutsthaḥ pitā me jagatī patiḥ |
śuśrūṣā kriyatām tāvat sa hi dharmaḥ sanātanaḥ || 2-24-13
13. yaavat = Till which time; kaakutsaH = Dasaratha; me pitaa = my father; jagatiipatiH = the lord of earth; jiivati = is alive; tavaat = till such time; kriyataam shushruushaa = he ;should be served; saH = that ; SanaatanaH dharmaH hi = is indeed eternal justice .'
"Till Dasaratha, my father and the great king is alive, you should serve him well. It is eternal justice."
evam uktā tu rāmeṇa kausalyā śubha darśanā |
tathā iti uvāca suprītā rāmam akliṣṭa kāriṇam || 2-24-14
14. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; raameva = by Rama; kausalyaa = kausalya; shubhadarshanaa = with auspicious appearance; supriitaa = is very much pleased ; uvaacha = spoke; raama = to Rama; aklishhTakaariNam = who performs undefatigable actions; tatheti = showing concurrance.
After Rama spoke thus, Kausalya with auspicious appearance, was very much pleased and spoke to Rama, who performs indefatigable actions, in consent.
evam uktaḥ tu vacanam rāmaḥ dharmabhRtām varaḥ |
bhūyaḥ tām abravīd vākyam mātaram bhṛśa duhkhitām || 2-24-15
15. raamaH = Rama; dharmabhR^itaam varaH = the best among upholders of righteousness; uktaH = having been spoken; evam = thus ; vachanam = the words; abraviit = spoke; bhuuyaH = again; taa maataram = to that mother; bhR^isha duHKhitaam = who was very much distressed .
That Rama, the best among upholders of righteousness, after hearing the words of his mother ,spoke again to her who was very much distressed.
mayā caiva bhavatyā ca kartavyam vacanam pituḥ |
rājā bhartā guruḥ śreṣṭhaḥ sarveṣām īśvaraḥ prabhuḥ || 2-24-16
16. vachanam = words; pituH = of father; kartavyam = are fit to be done; mayaachaiva = by me; bhavatyaacha = and by you; sarveshhaam = for all; raajaa = king; bhartaa = nourisher; guruH = venerable man; shreshhTaH = the best man; iishvaraH = lord; prabhuH = ruler.'
"The words of father are to be followed by you and me. For all, he is the king, the nourished, a venerable man, the best among men, the lord and the ruler."
imāni tu mahā araṇye vihRtya nava panca ca |
varṣāṇi parama prītaḥ sthāsyāmi vacane tava || 2-24-17
17. "vihR^itya = after roaming; mahaaraNye = in great forest; imaani = these; nava paNchacha = fourteen; varshhaaNi = years; sthaasyaami = I shall stand by; tava = your; vachane = words; parama priitaH = very gladly".
"After roaming in the great forest for fourteen years, I shall come back and very gladly stand by your command."
evam uktā priyam putram bāṣpa pūrṇa ānanā tadā |
uvāca parama ārtā tu kausalyā putra vatsalā || 2-24-18
18. tadaa = then; kausalyaa = Kausalya; putra vatsalaa = who is affectionate to her son; uktaa = having been spoken; ivam = thus; uvaacha = spoke; priyam putram = to beloved son; bhaashhpapuurNaananaa = with her face ;filled with tears; paramaartaa = in great sorrow .
After hearing the words of Rama, Kausalya who was affectionate to her son , was in great sorrow with her face filled with tears and spoke thus to her beloved son Rama .
āsām rāma sapatnīnām vastum madhye na me kṣamam |
naya mām api kākutstha vanam vanyam mRgīm yathā || 2-24-19
yadi te gamane buddhiḥ kṛtā pitur apekṣayā |
19. "ramaa = Oh; Rama! na khhamam = it is not capable; me = of me; vastum = to reside; madhye = in the middle of; aasaam = these; sapathniinaam = step wives; kaakutthsa = oh; Rama ! kR^itaayadi = If it is made; te buddhiH = of your mind; gamane = to go to forest; apekshhayaa = by wish; pituH = of father ; naya = take; maamapi = also me; mR^igiim yathaa = like female deer vanyaam = belonging to forest; vanam = to forest"
"Oh, Rama! I can not reside in the middle of these step-wives. If you have made up your mind to go to forest as per your father's wish ,also take me, like taking a female deer of the forest ,to the woods ''
tām tathā rudatīm rāmaḥ rudan vacanam abravīt || 2-24-20
jīvantyā hi striyā bhartā daivatam prabhur eva ca |
20. ramaaH = Rama; abraviit = spoke ; tathaa = thus; vachanam = these words; rudan = bemoaningly; taan = to her; rudatiim = who was weeping; stryaaH = to woman; jiivantyaaH = who is living; bhartaa = husband; daivatam = is god; prabhurevacha = and master.
"Rama spoke thus these words bemoaningly to her, who was weeping= "as long as a woman is alive ,her husband is god and master to her".
bhavatyā mama caiva adya rājā prabhavati prabhuḥ |
bharataḥ ca api dharmātmā sarva bhūta priyam vadaḥ || 2-24-21
21. "raajaa = king Dasaratha; prabhuH = the supreme commander; adya = now; prabhavati = has authority; bhavatya = over you; mamacha = and me also ; vayam = we; nahi anaathaaH = are not indeed without master; raajJNaa = by way of king ; lokanaathena = lord of the earth dhiimataa = the wise man''.
"King Dasaratha, supreme commander has authority over you and me also now. when king, the lord of the earth and the wise man is there , we are not indeed master-less.'
bhavatīm anuvarteta sa hi dharma rataḥ sadā |
yathā mayi tu niṣkrānte putra śokena pārthivaḥ || 2-24-22
22. bharatashchaapi = Bharata also; dharmaatmaa = who is a righteous person; sarva bhuuta priyamvadaH = who speaks lovingly to all beings ; anuvarteta = will be obliging ; bhavatiim = to you ; saH = He ; sadaa = always; dharmarataH hi = indeed is devoted to righteousness ."
"Bharata also, who is a righteous person and who speaks lovingly to all beings will be obliging to you. He is indeed always devoted to righteousness.'
yathā mayi tu niṣkrānte putraśokena pārthivaḥ || 2-24-23
śramam na avāpnuyāt kiṃcit apramattā tathā kuru |
23. mayi nishhkraante = while I take leave; yathaa = how ; paarthivaH = the king; na avaapnuyaat = will not get; kinchit = even a little ; shrmam = fatigue; putra shokena = with grief over the son; tathaa = in that manner; kuru = act; apramattaa = attentively ."
"While I take leave, take care of the king attentively so that he will not get fatigued even a little with grief over his son."
dāruṇaścāpyayam śoko yathainam na vināśayet || 2-24-24
rājño vṛddhasya satatam hitam cara samāhitā |
24. yathaa = how; ayam shokaH = this grief; daaruNaH = which is terrible; na vinaashayet = will not destroy in that way; evam = him ; chara = act; satatam = always; samaahitaa = soothingly; hitam = well being; raajJNaH = of king vR^iddhasya = who is aged'
"Act always soothingly for a well-being of the aged king, seeing that his terrible grief will not destroy him ."
vrata upavāsa niratā yā nārī parama uttamā || 2-24-25
bhartāram na anuvarteta sā ca pāpa gatir bhavet |
25. �yaa naarii = which woman vratopavaasanirataa = who is interested in voes and fastings paramothamaa = being the best of the excellent; naanuvarateta = will not attend to bhartaaram = husband saa = she; bhavet = will become papagatiH = ill-fated.'
�Even if a woman is interested in religious vows and fastings in addition to being the best of the excellent ;if she does not obey her husband she will become ill-fated !''
bhartuḥ śuśrūṣayā nārī labhate svargamu ttamam || 2-24-26
api yā nirnamaskārā nivṛttā devapūjanāt |
26. yaa = which woman; nivR^ittaa = abstains from ; deva puujanaat = worship of gods; nirnamaskaaraa = does not offer salutation such ; naariiapi = woman also; labhate = will attain ; uttamam = highest ; svargam = heaven ; shushrushhayaa = by service; bhartuH = to husband ''.
�Even if a woman does not offer salutation to celestials and does not worship the gods, she will attain the highest heaven by service to her husband ."
śuśrūṣam eva kurvīta bhartuḥ priya hite ratā || 2-24-27
eṣa dharmaḥ purā dRṣṭaḥ loke vede śrutaḥ smRtaḥ |
27. �rataa = devoted in priyahite = love and welfare bhartuH of husband kurviita = she has to do sushruushhameva = service truly eshhaH = This dR^ishhTaH = is seen loke = in the world pure = before ; shrutaH = was heard vede = in Vedas (ancient texts) smR^itaH = was told as dharmaH = righteousness.'
�She has to do service, truly devoted in love and welfare of her husband. This is seen in the world from the beginning, was heard from ancient texts and mentioned as righteousness.'
agnikāryeṣu ca sadā sumanobhiśca devatāḥ || 2-24-28
pūjyāḥ te mat kRte devi brāhmaṇāḥ caiva suvratāḥ |
28. devii = Oh; Mother ! matkR^ite = for my sake; devataaH = gods; puujyaaH = are worthy of worship; te = to you ; agnikaaryeshhu = by sacrificial fire; sumanobhishcha = and by flowers; sadaa = always ; braahmaNaashchaiva = brahmans also; suvrataaH = with right voes'.
Oh, Mother! You always worship gods by sacrificial fire and by flowers for my sake . Brahmanas also with right voes are to be worshipped .'
evam kālam pratīkṣasva mama āgamana kānkṣiṇī || 2-24-29
prāpsyase paramam kāmam mayi pratyāgate sati |
29. pratiikshhasva = look forward ; kaalam = for time ; mama aagamana kaaNkshhiNii = desiring my return; evam = in such a manner ; viyataa = with restraint; niyataahaara = being temperate in food ; rate = devoted in ; bhartashushruushhaNe = service of husband.
"Look forward for the time of my return in such a manner with restraint, being temperate in food and being devoted in the service of your husband."
prāpsyase paramam kāmam mayi pratyāgate sati || 2-24-30
yadi dharmabhRtām śreṣṭho dhārayiṣyati jīvitam |
30. mayi = I; pratyaagate sati = having come back; dhrmabhR^itaam shreshhTaH = our father; the best of protectors of righteousness; dhaaraayishhyati yadi = if he sustains; jiivitam = life; praapsyase = you will acquire; paramam = the best; kaamam = desire .
"After my return, your best desire will be fulfilled if our father the best among protectors of righteousness ,is still alive till then."
evam uktā tu rāmeṇa bāṣpa paryākula īkṣaṇā || 2-24-31
kausalyā putra śoka ārtā rāmam vacanam abravīt |
31. kausalyaa = kausalya; putra shokaartaa = who is afflicted over her son ; uktaa = having been spoken ; evam = thus; raameNa = by Rama; bhaashhpaparyaakulekshhaNaa = with eyes full of tears; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words; raamam = to Rama.
Kausalya who was afflicted with grief over her son, was with eyes full of tears after hearing Rama's utterances and spoke thus to Rama.
gamane sukṛtām buddhim na te śaknomi putraka || 2-24-32
vinivartayitum vīra nūnam kālo duratyayaḥ |
32. viira putraka = Oh; Brave son! na shaknomi = I am not able to; Vinivartayitum = avert ; te buddhim = your mind; sukrutaam = which is well made; gamane = in the matter of your going; nuunanam = certainly; kaalaH = time; duratyayaH = is inscrutable."
"Oh, Brave son! I am not able to avert your well-made resolution, in the matter of your going to forest. Time is inscrutable .It is certain."
gacca putra tvam eka agraḥ bhadram te astu sadā vibho || 2-24-33
punastvayi nivṛtte tu bhaviṣyāmi gataklamā |
33. putraH = Oh ;son! tvam = You; gachchha = go; ekaagraH = un disturbed; vibho = Oh; the mighty; astu = let there be ; bhadram = auspiciousness; sadaa = always; te = to you; bhavishhyaami = I shall become; gata klamaa = refreshed; tvayi nivR^ittetu = when you return; punaH = again."
"Oh, son! You go undisturbed. Let there be auspiciousness always to you .I shall become refreshed, when you return again."
pratyāgate mahābhāge kṛtārthe caritavrate || 2-24-34
piturānṛṇyatām prāptetvayi lapsye param sukham |
34. tvayi = You �mahaabhaage = the illustrious kR^itaarthe = who accomplished a purpose; charitavrate = who observed a vow ; praapte = who attained anR^iNyataam = freedom from debt pituH = to father ; pratyaagate = having come again lapsye = Ishall get varam = great sukham = happiness.
"You, the illustrious after accomplishing a purpose, having observed a vow and having attained freedom from debt to your father, after having come again, I shall get great happiness".
kṛtāntasya gatiḥ putra durvibhāvyā sadā bhuvi || 2-24-35
yastvā saṃcodayati me vaca āccidya rāghava |
35. putra = Oh;son raaghava = Oh; Rama! YaH = which destiny Aachchhidya = extingvishes me = my vachaH = word sanchodayati = impels tvaa = you gatiH = the path kR^itaantasya = of such destiny sadaa = always durvibhaavyaa = is unimaginable bhuvii = on earth.
"The path of the destiny, which extinguishes my words and impels you to go to the forest ,is ever not imaginable on this earth"
gacchedānīm mahābāho kṣemeṇa punarāgataḥ || 2-24-36
nandayiṣyasi mām putraḥ sāmnā vākyena cāruṇā |
36. mahaabaaho = Oh Rama; long armed ! gachchha = go; idaaniim = just now; Putra = Oh; son! punaH aagataH = having come again; kshhemeNa = safely; nandayishhyasi = you will rejoice; maam = me; saamnaa = with unanimity; vaakyena = with words; chaaruNaa = which are pleasing.
"Oh, Rama the valiant !Go just now and come again safely, when you will rejoice me with your pleasing and tranquillising words ."
apīdānīm sa kālaḥ ssyādvanātpratyāgatam punaḥ || 2-24-37
yattvām putrakaḥ paśyeyam jaṭāvalkadhāriṇam |
37. putraka = Oh; son! Pratyaagatam = after returning; PunaH = again; vanaat = from forest; yat = when; pashyeyaat = shall I see; tvaam = you; jataavalkadhaariNam = wearing twisted hair and garment made of bark? saH kaalaH = That time; api syaat = may it be; idaaniim = just now '
"How good it will be, if today itself is the day of your returning from the forest, wearing twisted hair and garment made of bark."
tathā hi rāmam vana vāsa niścitam |
dadarśa devī parameṇa cetasā |
uvāca rāmam śubha lakṣaṇam vaco|
babhūva ca svastyayana abhikānkṣiṇī || 2-24-38
38. devii = The queen kausalya; dadarsha = saw; tathaa = thus; raama = Rama; vanavaasa mishchitam = who decided to stay in forest; uvaacha = spoke; vachaH = words; chetasaa = with mind; paramiNa = most exellent; raamam = to Rama; subhalakshhaNam = having auspicious qualities; babhuuva = become; svatyayanaabhikaaNkshhiNii = desirous of averting evil by recitation of auspicious words; Thus completes twenty fourth canto of Ayodhya Kanda.
"The queen kausalya thus saw Rama who decided to go to forest .She spoke these words with most excellent mind to Rama having auspicious qualities, being desirous of averting evil by recitation of auspicious words."
- - -
|| ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye ayodhyākāṇḍe caturviśaḥsargaḥ ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
Check here for
Secure FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP