This chapter describes Lakshmana's anger and Rama consoling Lakshmana.
तथा तु विलपन्तीम् ताम् कौसल्याम् राम मातरम् |
उवाच लक्ष्मणो दीनः तत् काल सदृशम् वचः || २-२१-१
1. lakshhmaNaH = Lakshmana; diinaH = became dejected; uvaacha = spoke; vachaH = the words; tatkaala sadR^isham = suitable for that time; taam kausalyyaam = to that kausalya; rama maataram = Rama's mother; tathaa = thus; vilapantiim = weaping.
Lakshmana became dejected and spoke these words, properly befitting for that time, to that Rama's mother Kausalya who was thus weeping.
न रोचते मम अपि एतत् आर्ये यद् राघवो वनम् |
त्यक्त्वा राज्य श्रियम् गच्चेत् स्त्रिया वाक्य वशम् गतः || २-२१-२
2. "aarye = Oh; the venerable lady! atat = this; na rochate = is not liking; mamaapi = to me also; itiyat = as in the manner this; raaghavaH = Rama; vaakyaarasham gataH = being influenced by the words; striyaaH = of a woman; gachchhet = go; vanam = to forest; tyaktvaa = leaving; raajya sriiyam = prosperous kingdom."
"Oh, the honoured lady ! I also do not like Rama to be influenced by the words of a woman and go to the forest, leaving the prosperous kingdom."
विपरीतः च वृद्धः च विषयैः च प्रधर्षितः |
नृपः किम् इव न ब्रूयाच् चोद्यमानः समन्मथः || २-२१-३
3. "nR^ipaH = king; vipariitasheha = with perverted mind; vR^idhdhhashcha = old aged; pradharshhitaH = who is outraged; vishhayaiH = by sensual enjoyments; samanimadhaH = who is possessed of passion; na bruuyaat = can he not talk; kimiva = of anything; chodyamaanaH = prompted (by Kaikeyi).
"The king with perverted mind, of old age, one who is outraged by sensual enjoyments and possessed of passion can talk any thing, prompted by Kaikeyi."
न अस्य अपराधम् पश्यामि न अपि दोषम् तथा विधम् |
येन निर्वास्यते राष्ट्रात् वन वासाय राघवः || २-२१-४
4. na pashyaami = I can neither see; aparaadham = offence; na pashyaami = nor can I see; doshshamapi = even fault; asya = in him; tathaa vidham = that can; yena = by any means; nirvaasyate = expel; raaghavaH = Rama; raashhTraat = from state ; vanavaasaaya = to forest."
"I can not see any offence or cause for blame in Rama that can expel him from the state to the forest."
न तम् पश्याम्य् अहम् लोके परोक्षम् अपि यो नरः |
स्वमित्रोऽपि निरस्तोऽपि योऽस्यदोषमुदाहरेत् || २-२१-५
5. aham = I; na pashyaami = have not seen; loke = in this world; tam = such a person; udaaharet = who talks; dosham = ill; asya = of Rama; parokshhamapi = even indirectly; yaH naraH = that person who is; svamitro api = even an enemy; nirasto api = or an expellee."
I have not seen in this world any person, whether an enemy or an expellee, speaking ill of Rama indirectly."
देव कल्पम् ऋजुम् दान्तम् रिपूणाम् अपि वत्सलम् |
अवेक्षमाणः को धर्मम् त्यजेत् पुत्रम् अकारणात् || २-२१-६
6. "kaH = who; avekshhamaaNaH = observing; dharmam = ethicalness; akaaraNaat = causelessly; tyajet = get rid of; putram = son; devakalpam = who is equal to god; R^ijum = who is honest; daantam = who is self-restrained; vatsalam = who is affectionate; R^ipuuNaamapi = even towards enemies?"
"Can anybody observing ethicalness, causelessly get rid of a son who is equal to god who is honest, who is self-restrained and who is affectionate even towards adversaries?"
तत् इदम् वचनम् राज्ञः पुनर् बाल्यम् उपेयुषः |
पुत्रः को हृदये कुर्यात् राज व्ऱ्त्तम् अनुस्मरन् || २-२१-७
7. "kaH = which son; anusmaran = who remembers; raja vR^ittam = royal usage; kuryaat = act; hR^idaye = with heart; tat idam vachanam = such of these words; raajJNaH = of king; upeyushhaH = who got; baalyam = childhood punaH = again?"
"Which son, knowing royal usage, can agree to the words of this king who is behaving as though he got childhood again?"
यावद् एव न जानाति कश्चित् अर्थम् इमम् नरः |
तावद् एव मया साधम् आत्मस्थम् कुरु शासनम् ||२-२१-८
8. "yaavadeva = even till; kashchit = any; naraH = person; na jaanaati = does not know; ivam artham = this matter; taava deva = in the mean time; kuru = make; shaasanam = dominion; aatmastham = your own; mayaa sa ardham = together with me."
"Even before others get to know about this matter, make this dominion your own, with my help."
मया पार्श्वे सधनुषा तव गुप्तस्य राघव |
कः समर्थो अधिकम् कर्तुम् कृत अन्तस्य इव तिष्ठतः || २-२१-९
9. raaghava = Oh; Rama! guptasya = protected; mayaa = by me ; parshve = on your side; sadhamshhaa = along with a bow; tishhThataH = you standing; kR^itaantasyeva = like Yama; the god of death; kaH = who; samarthaH = the competent one; kartum = to do; adhikam = too much?"
"Oh, Rama! While I am standing by your side along with a bow, protecting you who are standing as God of Death, who is capable of doing too much ?"
निर्मनुष्याम् इमाम् सर्वाम् अयोध्याम् मनुज ऋषभ |
करिष्यामि शरैअः तीक्ष्णैः यदि स्थास्यति विप्रिये || २-२१-१०
10. manushharshhabha = Oh the best of men! sthaasyati yadi = If it stands; vipriye = disagreeable to you; karishhyaami = I shall make; imaam = this; kR^itsnaam = entire; ayodhyam = Ayodhya; nirmanushhyaam = deserted of people; sharaH tiikshhNaiH = with sharp arrows."
"Oh, Rama, the best of men! If the city of Ayodhya turns against you, I shall make it desolate of men with sharp arrows"
भरतस्य अथ पक्ष्यो वा यो वा अस्य हितम् इच्चति |
सर्वान् एतान् वधिष्यामि मृदुर् हि परिभूयते || २-२१-११
11. "atha = and vadhishhyaami = I shall kill; etaam sarvaan = all those; pakshhyovaa = who are siding; bharatasya = Bharata; yovaa = and who; ichchhati = desire; asya = his; hitam = benefit; mR^iduH = soft person; paribhuuyate hi = indeed gets disgraced."
"I shall kill all those who are siding Bharata ,and are favourable to him. Soft person indeed gets disgraced!"
प्रोत्साहितोऽयम् कैकेय्या स दुष्टो यदिः पिता |
अमित्रभूतो निस्सङ्गम् वध्यताम् बध्यतामपि || २-२१-१२
12. "protsaahitaH = Instigated; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi saH = such of; naH putraa = our father; dushhTaH = as bad person; amitra bhuutaH = becomes enemy; ayam badhyataam = let him be imprisoned; mi ssaNgam = without personal attachment; vaadhyataamapi = and be killed!"
"If our father with an evil mind behaves like our enemy with instigation by Kaikeyi. I shall keep him imprisoned with out personal attachment or if necessary, kill him."
गुरोरप्यवलिप्तस्य कार्याकार्यमजानतः |
उत्फथम् प्रतिपन्नस्य कार्यम् भवति शासन्म् || २-२१-१३
13. gurorapi = Even for a venerable person; avaliptasya = who is arrogant; ajaanataH = who does not know; kaaryaakaaryam = good and evil actions; pratipunnasya = who resorts to; utpatham = wrong route; shaasanam = punishment; bhavati = becomes; kaaryam = feasible."
"Even a venerable person is to be punished, if he becomes arrogant, if he does not know good and evil actions and if he takes to a wrong route."
बलमेष किमाश्रित्य हेतुम् वा पुरुषर्षभ |
दातुमिच्छति कैकेय्य राज्यम् स्थितमिदम् तव || २-२१-१४
14. purushharshhabha = Oh the best of men! kim = what; balam = strength; hetum vaa = or reason; eshhaH = he; aastritya = has taken shelter; ichchhati = desiring ; daatum = to give; idam = this ; raajyam = kingdom; tava sthitam = belonging to you; kaikeyyai = for Kaikeyi.
"Oh, Rama, the best of men! On what strength or season has he taken shelter to give away this kingdom belonging to you to Kaikeyi?"
त्वया चैव मया चैव कृत्वा वैरम् अनुत्तमम् |
कस्य शक्तिः श्रियम् दातुम् भरताय अरि शासन || २-२१-१५
15. arishaasana = Oh; the chastiser of enemies ! kaa shaktiH = what ability is there; asya = to him; daatum = to give; shriyam = high rank; bharataaya = to Bharata; kR^itvaa = by making; anuttamam = great; vairam = enmity; tvayaa chaiva = with you; mayaa chaiva = and with me."
"Oh, Rama the chestiser of enemies! Where is the ability for him to give kingdom to Bharata, by making great enmity against you and me "
अनुरक्तः अस्मि भावेन भ्रातरम् देवि तत्त्वतः |
सत्येन धनुषा चैव दत्तेन इष्टेन ते शपे || २-२१-१६
16. devi = Oh; queen! tattvataH = really; anuraktaH asmi = I am attached; bhaavena = devotedly; bhraataram = my brother Rama; shape = I am swearing an oath; te = to you; satyena = by truth; dhanushhaachaiva = by bow; daltena = by the act of giving; ishhTena = by the act of sacrifice."
"Oh, queen! Really, I am devotedly attached to my brother Rama. I am swearing an oath to you by truth by bow, by the act of giving and by the act of sacrifice."
दीप्तम् अग्निम् अरण्यम् वा यदि रामः प्रवेक्ष्यते |
प्रविष्टम् तत्र माम् देवि त्वम् पूर्वम् अवधारय || २-२१-१७
17. devi = oh;queen! ramaH pravekshhyati yadi = If Rama can enter; diiptam = blazing; agnim = fire; araNyam vaa = or forest; tvam = you avadhaaraya = make certain; puurvam = even before; maam = mine; pravishhTam = who can enter; tatra = there.
"Oh, queen! If Rama can enter blazing fire or forest, you make certain that even before, I can enter there"
हरामि वीर्यात् दुह्खम् ते तमः सूर्यैव उदितः |
देवी पश्यतु मे वीर्यम् राघवः चैव पश्यतु || २-२१-१८
18. haraami = I shall alleviate; te duHkham = your grief; viiryaat = by my valour; tama iva = as darkness; uditaH = by rising; suuryaH = sun; pashyatu devii = Let the queen see; me viiryam = my valour; pashyatu raaghavashchaiva = Let Rama also see."
"I shall alleviate your grief, by showing my valour like the rising sun alleviating darkness .Let Rama and yourself see my valour"
एतत् तु वचनम् श्रुत्वा लक्ष्मणस्य महात्मनः |
उवाच रामम् कौसल्या रुदन्ती शोक लालसा || २-२१-१९
19. shrutva = Hearing; etat vachanam = this word; lakshmaNasya = of Lakshmana; mahaat manaH = the magnanimous; kausalya = Kausalya; shokalaalasaa = entirely; given up to anguish; rudaati = weaping; uvaacha = spoke; raamam = to Rama.
Hearing these words of Lakshmana the magnanimous, Kausalya entirely given up to anguish and weaping, spoke thus to Rama.
भ्रातुस् ते वदतः पुत्र लक्ष्मणस्य श्रुतम् त्वया |
यद् अत्र अनन्तरम् तत् त्वम् कुरुष्व यदि रोचते || २-२१-२०
20. putra = Oh;son shrutam = It is heard tvayaa = by you; te = your; bhraatuaH = brother lakshhmanasya = Lakshmana; vadataH = speaking; rochate yadi = If you agree; kurushhva = you do; yat = what; kaaryam = action to be done; anantaram = immediately after."
"Oh, son !You have heard the words of Lakshmana .If you agree, you do what is to be done, immediately."
न च अधर्म्यम् वचः श्रुत्वा सपत्न्या मम भाषितम् |
विहाय शोक सम्तप्ताम् गन्तुम् अर्हसि माम् इतः || २-२१-२१
21. na arhasi = you are not suited; gantum = to go; itaha = from here; vihaaya = leaving; maam = me; sokasamtaptaam = in deep grief; shrutvaa = hearing; adharmyam vachaH = the un-just words; bhaashitam = said; mama sapatnyaa = by my co-wife.
"It is not proper for you to go away from here, leaving me afflicted with grief, after hearing the un-just words spoken by my co-wife."
धर्मज्ञ यदि धर्मिष्ठो धर्मम् चरितुम् इच्चसि |
शुश्रूष माम् इहस्थः त्वम् चर धर्मम् अनुत्तमम् || २-२१-२२
22. dharmajJNa = Oh; the knower of goodness! tvam ichchhasi yadi = If you desire; charitum = to practice dharmam = virtue; dharnushhTaH = be a virtuous man; ihasthaH = stay here; shushruushha = serve maam = me chara = practice anuttamam = best dharmam = goodness"
"Oh, Rama! You are righteous man. If you desire to practice virtue, be a virtuous man and stay here serving me thereby practicing the best morality in the form of serving your mother.
शुश्रूषुर् जननीम् पुत्र स्व गृहे नियतः वसन् |
परेण तपसा युक्तः काश्यपः त्रिदिवम् गतः || २-२१-२३
23. kaasyapaH = sage; kasyapa niyataH = with self restraint; vasan = was residing; svagR^ihe = in own house; yuktaH = accompanied; vareNa tapasaa = with great austerity; sushruushhuH = of serving; jananiim = the mother; gataH = went; tridivam = to heaven"
"Oh, son! Formerly Kasyapa was staying in his own house itself with self restraint, performed great austerity by serving his mother and went to heaven"
यथा एव राजा पूज्यः ते गौरवेण तथा हि अहम् |
त्वाम् न अहम् अनुजानामि न गन्तव्यम् इतः वनम् || २-२१-२४
24. yathaiva = Just as raajaa = king; gouraveNa = by respectable feeling; te = to you; puUjyaH = is worthy of worship; aham = I am also; tathaa hi = indeed so; naanujaanaami = I am not permitting ; tvaam = you; nagantavyam = it is proper to go; itaH = from here; vanam = to forest"
"Just as the king, by respectable feeling to you is worthy of worship, so also being your mother, I am worthy of worship to you. Hence, do not go to the forest"
त्वद् वियोगान् न मे कार्यम् जीवितेन सुखेन वा |
त्वया सह मम श्रेयः तृणानाम् अपि भक्षणम् || २-२१-२५
25. tvadviyogaat = Because of your separation; na kaaryam = there is no purpose; jiivitena = for life; su khena vaa = or comforts; mama = for me; shreyaH = it is good; bhakshhaNam api = even to eat; tR^iNaanaam = grass; tvayaa saha = while staying with you"
"After your separation, I shall have no use of this life or comforts for me, it is good even to eat grass while staying with you"
यदि त्वम् यास्यसि वनम् त्यक्त्वा माम् शोक लालसाम् |
अहम् प्रायम् इह आसिष्ये न हि शक्ष्यामि जीवितुम् || २-२१-२६
26. tvaam yaasyasiyadi = If you go; vanam = to forest; tyaktvaa = leaving; maam = me; shokalaalasaam = who is afflicted with grief; aham = I praayam asishhye = shall seek death through starvation; iha = here; na shakshhyaami hi = Indeed; I shall not be able; jiivutum = to live
"I shall not live if you leave for the forest, leaving me who is afflicted with grief. I shall seek death through starvation"
ततः स्त्वम् प्राप्स्यसे पुत्र निरयम् लोक विश्रुतम् |
ब्रह्म हत्याम् इव अधर्मात् समुद्रः सरिताम् पतिः || २-२१-२७
27. putra = Oh;son! tataH = Thereafter; tvam = you; praapsyase = will attain; lokavishrutam = the universally famous; nirayam = hell; brahmahatyaamiva = like obtaining the sin of killing a Brahmana by; samudraH = the god of ocean; saritaampatiH = lord of rivers adharmaat = due to un justice behaviour"
"Oh, son! If I fast myself to death for your sake, you will attain the universally famous hell, like the god of the ocean obtaining trouble because of his un justice behaviour, towards the sage called Pippalada, producing the latter's wrath."
विलपन्तीम् तथा दीनाम् कौसल्याम् जननीम् ततः |
उवाच रामः धर्म अत्मा वचनम् धर्म सम्हितम् || २-२१-२८
28. tataH = thereafter; dharmaatma = righteous words ; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; vachanam = the words; dharmasamhitam = attended with virtuous; kausalyaam = to Kausalya; jananiim = the mother; tathaa = thus; vilapantiim = weaping; diinaam = miserably.
The honest Rama spoke these virtuous words to his mother Kausalya, who was thus weeping miserably.
न अस्ति शक्तिः पितुर् वाक्यम् समतिक्रमितुम् मम |
प्रसादये त्वाम् शिरसा गन्तुम् इच्चाम्य् अहम् वनम् || २-२१-२९
29. naasti = there is no; shaktiH = ability; mama = for me ; samatikramitum = to violet; pituH = father's; vaakyam = words; aham = I; prasaadaye = am asking for favour; tvaam = to you; shirasaa = with head; ichchaami = I wish gantum = to go; vanam = to forest."
"I am not able to violate my father's words. I am bowing my head and asking your favour. I shall have to go to the forest"
ऋषिणा च पितुर् वाक्यम् कुर्वता व्रत चारिणा |
गौर् हता जानता धर्मम् कण्डुना अपि विपश्चिता || २-२१-३०
30. gouH api = Even a cow; hataa = was killed; kurvataa = acting as per; pituH = father's; vaakyam = words; kandunaa = by Kandu; R^ishhiNaa = the sage; vratachaariNaa = who performed religious vows; jaanataa = who knew; dharmam = righteousness; vipashchita = who was learned."
"A sage called Kandu, who knew righteousness, who performed religious vows and who was a learned man, killed even a cow, acting as per his father's words"
अस्माकम् च कुले पूर्वम् सगरस्य आज्ञया पितुः |
खनद्भिः सागरैः भूतिम् अवाप्तः सुमहान् वधः || २-२१-३१
31. puurvam = previously; saagaraiH = by the sons of Sagara; asmaakam = of our; kulecha = race also; sumahaan = a great vadhaH = killing; avaaptaH = was obtained; kharadbhiH = while digging up; bhuumim = the earth; aajJNayaa = by the order of ; sagarasya = of Sagara pituH = their father."
"Previously, the sons of Sagara belonging to our race, were got bitterly digging up the earth, as commanded by their father."
जामदग्न्येन रामेण रेणुका जननी स्वयम् |
कृत्ता परशुना अरण्ये पितुर् वचन कारिणा || २-२१-३२
32. raameNa = by Parasurama; jaamadagniyaina = the son of Jamadagni; renuka = Renuka; janamii = mother kR^ittaa = was cut off; svayam = spontaneously ; parashunaa = by axe; araNye = in the forest; vachana kaariNaa = as per words; pituH = of father;
"Parasu Rama, the son of Jamadagni personally slayed his mother Renuka in the forest with an axe as per his father's words."
एतैरन्यैश्च बहुभिर्देवि देवसमैः कृतम् |
पितुर्वचनमक्लीबम् करिष्यामि पितुर्शितम् || २-२१-३३
33. devi = Oh;queen! etaiH = by these; bahubhiH anyaisheha = by many others; devasamaanaiH = equivelant to gods -pituH = father's; vachanam = words kR^itam = was made akliibam = no waste; karishhyaami = I shall do; pituH = father's hitam = assignment"
"Oh, mother! These and many others who were equivalent to gods, did not make their father' s words to go waste. I shall also do what is desired by my father"
न खल्व् एतन् मया एकेन क्रियते पितृ शासनम् |
एतैरपि कृतम् देवि ये मया तव कीर्तिताः || २-२१-३४
34. devi = Oh;queen! etat = This; pitR^ishasanam = father's command; na kriyate = was not done mayaa = by me; ekena = only; etairapi = Also by these; ye = who kiirtitaa = were; mentioned tava = to you; mayaa = by me; kR^itam = it was done."
"Oh, mother! I am not the only person to act according to father's command. Those I have mentioned to you hitherto also complied with their father's command."
नाहम् धर्ममपूर्वम् ते प्रतिकूलम् प्रवर्तये |
पूर्वैः अयम् अभिप्रेतः गतः मार्गो अनुगम्यते || २-२१-३५
35. "aham = I; na pravartaye = am not setting out; apuurvam = new; pratikuulam = contradicting; dharmam = customary conduct; te = for you; anugamyate = I am following; ayam = this; maargam = way; abhipretaH = agreed; gataH = followed by; puurvaiH = the ancient."
"I am not setting any new contradicting customary conduct for your sake. I am adhering to the way agreed and followed by the ancient."
तत् एतत् तु मया कार्यम् क्रियते भुवि न अन्यथा |
पितुर् हि वचनम् कुर्वन् न कश्चिन् नाम हीयते || २-२१-३६
36. na kriyate = It cannot be done; anyathaa = otherwise; mayaa = by me; tat etat = than such of this; kaaryam = practice; bhuvi = on earth; na hiiyate naama = No deprivation indeed; kashchit = for anyone kurvam = doing; pituH = father's; vachanam = words."
"I cannot do otherwise than acting in accordance with father's words, the prevalent practice on earth. There is no deprivation indeed for anyone who complies with father's commands."
ताम् एवम् उक्त्वा जननीम् लक्ष्मणम् पुनर् अब्रवीत् |
तव लक्ष्मण जानामि मयि स्नेहम् अनुत्तमम् || २-२१-३७
37. shreshhThaH = the best; vaakyavidaam = of those knowing the speech; shreshhTaH = the best; sarva dhanushhTataam = of all those wearing the bow; evam = thus; uktaava = spoke; taam jananiim = to that mother; punaH = again; abraviit = spoke; lakshmanam = to Lakshmana.
Rama, the best of those who speak skilfully and the best of all those wearing the bow, spoke thus to his mother and turned round to Lakshmana to speak.
तव लक्ष्मण जानामि मयि स्नेहमनुत्तमम् |
विक्रमम् चैव सत्यम् च तेजश्च सुदुरासदम् || २-२१-३८
38. lakshmana = Oh; Lakshmana! jaanaami = I know tava = your anuttamam = highest sneham = affection mayi = in me vikramam chaiva = heroic valour sattvam cha = strength; suduraasadam = un assailable tejashcha = splendour."
"Oh, Lakshmana ! I know your highest affection towards me, your heroic valour ,your strength and your unassailable splendour ."
मम मातुर्महद्दुःखमतुलम् शुभलक्षम्ण |
अभिप्रायम् अविज्ञाय सत्यस्य च शमस्य च || २-२१-३९
39. subhakshhaNa = Oh; Lakshmana; with good attributes! atulam mahat duHkham = there is an unqualled and great grief; mama maatuH = to my mother; aviN^yaaya = by not knowing; abhipraayam = the meaning; satyasya cha = of truth and shamasyacha = tranquility.
" Oh, Lakshmana, with good attributes! My mother is feeling a great and unequalled sorrow, by not knowing the secret of truth and tranquillity."
धर्मः हि परमः लोके धर्मे सत्यम् प्रतिष्ठितम् |
धर्म संश्रितम् एतच् च पितुर् वचनम् उत्तमम् || २-२१-४०
40. dharmaH = righteousness; paramohi = is indeed the best; loke = in the world; satyam = truth; pratishhThiam = is established; dharma = in righteousness; etat = these; uttamam = best; vachanamcha = words also; pituH = of father; dharmasamshnitam = are enjoined in righteousness.
"Righteousness is the best of all qualities in the world. Truth is established in righteousness. Even these best words of father are enjoined with righteousness."
संश्रुत्य च पितुर् वाक्यम् मातुर् वा ब्राह्मणस्य वा |
न कर्तव्यम् वृथा वीर धर्मम् आश्रित्य तिष्ठता || २-२१-४१
41. viiraH = oh; Lakshmana the valiant! tishhThataa = one who is aashritya = following; dharmam = righteousness; nakartavyam = is not obliged; vR^ithaa = to waste; vaakyam = the word; samshrutya = promised; pituH = to father or; maaturvaa = mother or; brahmanasya vaa = Brahmana.
"One who follows righteousness, does not waste his promise given to one's father or mother or Brahmana."
सो अहम् न शक्ष्यामि पितुर् नियोगम् अतिवर्तितुम् |
पितुर् हि वचनात् वीर कैकेय्या अहम् प्रचोदितः || २-२१-४२
42. viira = oh; the valiant! saH aham = I; being such person; nashakshhyaami ativartitum = cannot trasgrass; niyogam = the command; pituH = of father; vachanaat = for the word; pituH = of father; aham = I; prachoditohi = was indeed instigated; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi.
" I cannot transgress my father's command. On the word given by my father only, Kaikeyi instigated me to go to the forest."
तत् एनाम् विसृज अनार्याम् क्षत्र धर्म आश्रिताम् मतिम् |
धर्मम् आश्रय मा तैक्ष्ण्यम् मद् बुद्धिर् अनुगम्यताम् || २-२१-४३
43. tat = hence; visR^ija = leave; anaaryaam = the mean; matim = mentality; kshhatra dharmaashritaam = of followig military heroism; aashraya = take refuge; dharamam = in righteousness; maa = not; taikhhNyam = in rudeness; anugamya = follow; madbuadhiH = my perception.
"Hence, leave this mean mentality of military heroism. Observe righteousness and not rudeness. follow my perception."
तम् एवम् उक्त्वा सौहार्दात् भ्रातरम् लक्ष्मण अग्रजः |
उवाच भूयः कौसल्याम् प्रान्जलिः शिरसा आनतः || २-२१-४४
44. lakshhmaNaagrajaH = Rama; the elder brother of Lakshmana; evam = thus; uktvaa = spoke; sauhaardaat = affectionately; bhraataram = to brother; nataH = bowed; shirasaa = with head; praaNjaliH = with folded hands; uvaacha = spoke; bhuuyaH = again; kausalyaam = to Kausalya.
Rama spoke thus to his brother affectionately, bowed to his mother and with folded hands, spoke again to Kausalya as follows.
अनुमन्यस्व माम् देवि गमिष्यन्तम् इतः वनम् |
शापिता असि मम प्राणैः कुरु स्वस्त्ययनानि मे || २-२१-४५
45. devii = oh; mother! anumanyasva = permit; maam = me; gamishhyantam = who is about to go; vanam = to forest; shaapitaa asi = on my life; kuru = invode; svastyanaani = blessings; me = on me.
"OH, mother! I have decided to go to forest. Please give me permission. I am swearing to you on my life. Please invoke blessings on me."
तीर्ण प्रतिज्ञः च वनात् पुनर् एष्याम्य् अहम् पुरीम् |
ययातिरिव राजर्षिः पुरा हित्वा पुनर्धिवम् || २-२१-४६
46. puraa = in olden times; iva = as; raajarshhiH = the sage king; yayaatiH = named yayaati; hitvaa = left; divam = heaven;divam = reached heaven; punaH = again; aham eshhyaami = I can come; punaH = back; puriim = to city; vanaat = from forest; tirNa pratijJNyaH = after fulfuilling the promise.
"As sage king named Yayati in olden times left the heaven and reached back heaven again, I shall be back to the city from the forest, after fulfilling my promise."
शोकस्संधार्यताम् मातर्हृदये साधु मा शुचः |
वनवासादिहैष्यामि पुनः कृत्वा पितुर्वचः || २-२१-४७
47. maataH = oh; mother! maashuchaH = do not grieve; samdhaaryaam = bear; saadhu = well; hR^idaye = in heart; eshhyaami = I shall come; iha = here; punaH = again; vanavaasaat = from forest; kR^itvaa = after fulfilling; pituH = father's; vachaH = command.
"Oh, mother! Please do not grieve, Bear it well in your heart. I shall come back here again from the forest after fulfilling the father's command."
त्वया मया च वैदेह्या लक्ष्मणेन सुमित्रया |
पितुर्नियोगे स्थातव्यमेष धर्मः सनाअनः || २-२१-४८
48. pituH niyoge = In father's command; sthhaatavyam = should be remainded; tvayaa = by you; mayaa cha = by me; vaidehyaa = by Sita; lakshhmaNena = by Lakshmana; sumitrayaa = by Sumitra; eshhaH = this is; sanaatanaH = eternal; dharmaH = custom.
"You and I, Sita, Lakshmana, Sumintra and all of us should follow father's directions. This is an eternal custom."
अम्ब सम्हृत्य सम्भारान् दुःखम् हृदि निगृह्य च |
वनवासकृता बुद्धिर्मम धर्म्यानुवर्त्यताम् || २-२१-४९
49. amba = oh; mother! mama buddhiH = my intention; vanavaasa kR^itaa = of proceeding to forest; dharmyaa = which is righteous; anuvartyataam = be approved; samhR^itya = duly with drawing; sambhaaraan = preparations for coronation; nigR^ihyacha = keeping in check; duHkham = sorrow; hR^idi = in heart.
"Oh mother! Please approve my righteous intention of going to the forest, duly withdrawing preparations for my coronation and keeping in check the sorrow in your heart."
एतद्वच स्तस्य निशम्य माता |
सुधर्म्यमव्यग्रमविक्लबम् च |
मृतेव सम्ज्ञाम् प्रतिलभ्य देवी |
समीक्ष्य रामम् पुनरित्युवाच || २-२१-५०
50. maataa = the mother; devii = kausalya; nishamya = heard; tasya = that Rama's; vachaH = words; etat = here; sudharmyam = which were the most virtuous; avyagram = which wer cool; aviklabam cha = and which were not unsteady; pratilabhya = regained; saNjJNyaam = consciousness; mR^iteva = looked at; raamam = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; punaH = again; iti = thus .
The mother Kausalya heard the most virtuous, cool and steady words of Rama and rose, as though regained consciousness once more after death, looked at Rama and spoke thus again.
यथैव ते पुत्र पिता तथाहम् |
गुरुः स्वधर्मेण सुहृत्तया च |
न त्वानुजानामि न मांविहाय |
सुदुःखितामर्हसि गन्तुमेवम् || २-२१-५१
51. putra = oh; son! aham = I am also; guruH = respectable person; te = to you; pitaa yathaiva = as indeed your father; svadharmeNa = in my own right; suhR^ittayaacha = and due to great affection; naanujaanaami = I do not permit; tvaa = you; naarhasi gantum = to go; evam = thus; vihaaya = leaving; maam = me ; suduHkhitaam = in great sorrow.
"Oh, son! I am also as respectable a person to you as your father, in my own right and due to great affection. I do not give permission to you. You cannot thus go away, leaving me in great sorrow."
किम् जीवितेनेह विना त्वया मे |
लोकेन वा किम् स्वधयाऽमृतेन |
श्रेयो मुहूर्तम् तव सन्निधानम् |
ममेह कृत्स्नादपि जीवलोकात् || २-२१-५२
52. kim = what is the use; jiivitena = of living; iha = here; me = to me; tvayaavinaa = without you? kim = what is the use; lokena = of the other world; svadhayaa = or the oblation of food offered to the deceased ancestors; amR^itenavaa = or the nectar of immortality? tava = your; samnidhaanam = proximity; muhuurtam = even for a moment; shreyaH = is better; kR^itsnaat = than entire; jiivalokaat api = world of living beings too.
"What is the use of my living in this world without you? What is the use of the other world or the oblation of food offered to the deceased ancestors or the nectar of immortality? Your proximity even for a moment is better than that of the entire world of living beings."
भूयः प्रजज्वाल विलापमेवम् |
निशम्य रामः करुणम् जनन्या || २-२१-५३
53. nishamya = hearing; karuNam = pathetic; vilaapam = lamentation; jananyaa = of mother; prajajvaala = he was highly agonised; bhuuyaH = again; mahaagaja iva = as a great elephant; ampravishhTaH = having entered; adhvaanam = way; apohyamaanaH = being taken away; naraiH = ny men; ulkaabhiH = with flames of fire.
After hearing the pathetic lamentation of his mother, he was highly anguished, as when an elephant is removed highly from its way by men with flames of fire.
स मातरम् चैव विसम्ज्ञकल्पा |
मार्तम् च सौमित्रि मभिप्रतप्तम् |
धर्मे स्थितो धर्म्यमुवाच वाक्यम् |
यथा स एवार्हति तत्र वक्तुम् || २-२१-५४
54. saH = that Rama; sthitaH = who was established; dharme = in righteousness; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = the words; dharmyam = endued with virtue; yathaa = in which manner; tatra = at that time; sa eva = he only; arhati = was fit; vaktum = to speak; maataramchaiva = to mother; visaMjJNakalpaam = appearing unconscious; saumitrim = to Lakshmana; aartam = who was disturbed; abhiprataptam = and exhausted with distress.
Rama, who was established in righteousness, spoke these words endowed with virtue, to his mother who was looking unconscious and to Lakshmana who was disturbed and exhausted with distress. He was the only person worthy of speaking thus at that time.
अहम् हि ते लक्ष्मण नित्यमेव |
जानामि भक्तिम् च पराक्रमम् च |
मम त्वभिप्राय मसन्निरीक्ष्य |
मात्रा सहाभ्यर्दसि मा सुदुःखम् || २-२१-५५
55. lakshmana = Oh; Lakshmana! aham = I; nityameva = always; jaanaami = know; te = your; bhakitmacha = devotion and; parakramamcha = strength; tu = but; maatraa saha = along with mother; abhyardamasi = you are afflicting; suduHkham = much pain; mama = to me; asanniririikshhya = without looking at; mama = my; abhipraayam = opionon.
"Oh, Lakshmana! I always know your devotion towards me as well as your strength. But now, you are joining with mother in afflicting much trouble to me without looking at my opinion."
धर्मार्थकामाः खलु तात लोके |
समीक्षिता धर्मफलोदयेषु |
ते तत्र सर्वे स्युरसंशयम् मे |
भार्येव वश्याभिमता सुपुत्रा || २-२१-५६
56. taata = Oh; father a ter (of affection addressed to a junior or senior); loke = in the world; dharmaphalodayeshhu = in obtaining the fruit of good works; dharmaarthakaamaaH = righteousness; utility and free will; samiikshhitaaH = are looked at; bhaaryeva = as a wife; vashyaa = who is obedient; abhimataa = who is beloved; suputraa = who is having good sons; tatra = in those good words; te sarve = all those; syuH = are there; asamshayam = no doubt; me = for me.
"Oh, Lakshmana! In obtaining the fruit of good works in the world, righteousness utility and free will are being considered. As a wife who is obedient, who is beloved and who is having good sons, good work yields all these three things."
यस्मिंस्तु सर्वे स्युरसन्निविष्टा |
धर्मो यतः स्यात् तदुपक्रमेत |
द्वेष्यो भवत्यर्थपरो हि लोके |
कामात्मता खल्वपि न प्रशस्ता || २-२१-५७
57. tat = that; yasmin = in which; sarve = all these; asannivishhTaaH syuH = do not come together; yataH by which; dharmaH = righteousness; syaat = is created; upakrameta = is to be initiated; loke = in the world; arthaparaH = one who is intested in wealth alone; bhavatihi = becomes indeed; devshhyaH = fit to be hated; kaamaatmataapi = so also; the ne whose very essence is desire; na prashastaa khalu = cannot indeed be considered good.
"Only such an action, which is righteous, is to be initiated, leaving that in which wealth, desire and righteousness do not come together. One who is intested in wealth alone becomes indeed fit to be hated in the world. So also the one whose very essence is desire, cannot indeed be considered good.
गुरुश्च राजा च पिता च वृद्धः |
क्रोधात्प्रहर्ष द्यदि वापि कामात् |
यद्व्यादिशेत् कार्यमवेक्ष्य धर्मम् |
कस्तन्न कुर्यादनृदनृशंसवृत्तिः || २-२१-५८
58. pitaa = father; gurshcha = who is venerable; rajaacha = a king; vR^iddhaH cha = and old aged; vyaadishet = commends; yat = for which reason; kaaryam = an action; krodhaat = either by anger; prahrshhaat = or by extreme joy; yadivaa kamaat api = or by even desire; kaH = who; apekshhya = with reference to dharmam = righteousness; anR^ishamsa vR^ittiiH = and not choosing cruelty; nakuryaat = will not do?
"When father, who is venerable, a king and old-aged, commands an action either by anger or by extreme joy or by even desire, which right person will not perform it? Only a person who chooses to be cruel will not do it."
सवै न शक्नोमि पितुः प्रतिज्ञा |
मिमामकर्तुम् सकलम् यथावत् |
स ह्यवयोस्तत गुरुर्नियोगे |
देवाश्च भर्ता स गतिस्स धर्मः || २-२१-५९
59. saH = such of myself; na shaknomivgi = cannot; akartum = avoid; pituH = father's; imaam pratijJNyaam = this propostion; sakalaam = in entirety; taata = oh; father! aavoyaH = for both of us; saH = he; furuH hi = is indeed important person; niyoge = to command; devyaashcha = for mother also; saH = he; bhartaa = the husband; saH = he; gatiH = the resource person; dharmaH = the law; personified.
"I cannot avoid fulfilling the father's command completely. For both of us, he is an important person indeed to command us. To mother Kausalya also, he is the husband, the resource person and the personified law."
तस्मिन् पुनर्जीवति धर्मराजे |
विशेषतः स्वे पथि वर्तमाने |
देवी मया सार्थमितोऽपगच्छेत् |
कथम् स्विदन्या विधवेव नारी || २-२१-६०
60. dharmaraaje = the righteous king; tasmin = himself; jiivati = alive; visheshhatatH = espacially; vartamaane = being; sve pathhi = in his own path; katham svit = how; devii = mother kausalya; avagachhet = can go out; mayaa saardham = with me; itaH = from here; anyaa naariiva = like other woman; vidhavaa = without husband?
"while the righteous king Dasaratha is alive and especially when he is following his own righteous path, how the mother Kausalya can go out with me from here leaving the city like other widowed woman?"
सा मानुमन्यस्व वनम् व्रजन्तम् |
कुरुष्व नः स्वस्त्ययनानि देवि |
यथा समाप्ते पुनराव्रजेयम् |
यथा हि स्त्येन पुनर्ययातिः || २-२१-६१
61. devii = Oh; queen! anumanyasva = permit; maa = me; vrajantam = going; vanam = to forest; yathaa hi = as indeed; yayaatiH = yayati; punaH = returned; satyena = by power of stregth; yathaa = so; avrajeyam = I can come; punaH = again; samaapte = after completion of excile; kurushhva = perform; svastyayanaani = recitation of Mantra for well-being.
"Oh, mother the queen! Permit me to go to forest. As Yayati returned to heaven by the power of truth, give me your power of blessings so that I can return here after completion of exile."
यशो ह्यहम् केवलराज्यकारणात् |
न पृष्ठतः कर्तुमलम् महोदयम् |
अदीर्घकाले न तु देवि जीविते |
वृणेऽवरामद्य महीमधर्मतः || २-२१-६२
62. aham = I; na alam = cannot; vR^ishhTataH kartum = keep back; yashaH = reputation; mahodayam = and glory ; kevalaraajyakaaraNaat = for the sake of kingdom alone; devii = oh; queen! jiivite = In this life; adiirghakaale = which is not long; navR^iNe = I cannot long for; adya = now; avaraam = inferior; mahiim = earth; adharmataH = unrighteously.
"I cannot keep back reputation and glory for the sake of kingdom alone. This cannot unrighteously long for this inferior kingdom."
प्रसादयन् नर वृषभः स मातरम् |
पराक्रमाज्जिगमिषुरेव दोम्डकान् |
अथ अनुजम् भ्ऱ्शम् अनुशास्य दर्शनम् |
चकार ताम् ह्ऱ्दि जननीम् प्रदक्षिणम् || २-२१-६३
63. saH = that Rama; navR^ishhabhaH = the best of men; jigimishhureva = desired to go; daNdakaan = to Dandaka forest ; paraakramaat = with prowess; prasaadayan = consoling; maataram = mother; atha = and afterwards; anushaasya = advised; amjam = brother; bhR^isham = intensely; darshanam = with good thoughts; pradakshhiNam chakaara = made circumbulatory salutation; taamjanamiim = to his mother; hR^idi = heartily.
Rama, the best of men, decided to go to Dandaka forest fearlessly with his prowess, consoled his mother, advised his brother by good thoughts and made hearty circumbulatory salutation to his mother.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे एकविंशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
verse and locator
The Fastest SFTP on the planet Go FTP FREE Program