This chapter describes Lakshmana's anger and Rama consoling Lakshmana.
tathaa tu vilapantiim taam kausalyaam raama maataram |
uvaaca lakShmaNo diinaH tat kaala sadR^isham vacaH || 2-21-1
1. lakshhmaNaH = Lakshmana; diinaH = became dejected; uvaacha = spoke; vachaH = the words; tatkaala sadR^isham = suitable for that time; taam kausalyyaam = to that kausalya; rama maataram = Rama's mother; tathaa = thus; vilapantiim = weaping.
Lakshmana became dejected and spoke these words, properly befitting for that time, to that Rama's mother Kausalya who was thus weeping.
na rocate mama api etat aarye yad raaghavo vanam |
tyaktvaa raajya shriyam gacchet striyaa vaakya vasham gataH || 2-21-2
2. "aarye = Oh; the venerable lady! atat = this; na rochate = is not liking; mamaapi = to me also; itiyat = as in the manner this; raaghavaH = Rama; vaakyaarasham gataH = being influenced by the words; striyaaH = of a woman; gachchhet = go; vanam = to forest; tyaktvaa = leaving; raajya sriiyam = prosperous kingdom."
"Oh, the honoured lady ! I also do not like Rama to be influenced by the words of a woman and go to the forest, leaving the prosperous kingdom."
vipariitaH ca vR^iddhaH ca viShayaiH ca pradharShitaH |
nR^ipaH kim iva na bruuyaac codyamaanaH samanmathaH || 2-21-3
3. "nR^ipaH = king; vipariitasheha = with perverted mind; vR^idhdhhashcha = old aged; pradharshhitaH = who is outraged; vishhayaiH = by sensual enjoyments; samanimadhaH = who is possessed of passion; na bruuyaat = can he not talk; kimiva = of anything; chodyamaanaH = prompted (by Kaikeyi).
"The king with perverted mind, of old age, one who is outraged by sensual enjoyments and possessed of passion can talk any thing, prompted by Kaikeyi."
na asya aparaadham pashyaami na api doSham tathaa vidham |
yena nirvaasyate raaShTraat vana vaasaaya raaghavaH || 2-21-4
4. na pashyaami = I can neither see; aparaadham = offence; na pashyaami = nor can I see; doshshamapi = even fault; asya = in him; tathaa vidham = that can; yena = by any means; nirvaasyate = expel; raaghavaH = Rama; raashhTraat = from state ; vanavaasaaya = to forest."
"I can not see any offence or cause for blame in Rama that can expel him from the state to the forest."
na tam pashyaamy aham loke parokSham api yo naraH |
svamitro.api nirasto.api yo.asyadoshhamudaaharet || 2-21-5
5. aham = I; na pashyaami = have not seen; loke = in this world; tam = such a person; udaaharet = who talks; dosham = ill; asya = of Rama; parokshhamapi = even indirectly; yaH naraH = that person who is; svamitro api = even an enemy; nirasto api = or an expellee."
I have not seen in this world any person, whether an enemy or an expellee, speaking ill of Rama indirectly."
deva kalpam R^ijum daantam ripuuNaam api vatsalam |
avekShamaaNaH ko dharmam tyajet putram akaaraNaat || 2-21-6
6. "kaH = who; avekshhamaaNaH = observing; dharmam = ethicalness; akaaraNaat = causelessly; tyajet = get rid of; putram = son; devakalpam = who is equal to god; R^ijum = who is honest; daantam = who is self-restrained; vatsalam = who is affectionate; R^ipuuNaamapi = even towards enemies?"
"Can anybody observing ethicalness, causelessly get rid of a son who is equal to god who is honest, who is self-restrained and who is affectionate even towards adversaries?"
tat idam vacanam raaGYaH punar baalyam upeyuShaH |
putraH ko hR^idaye kuryaat raaja vRttam anusmaran || 2-21-7
7. "kaH = which son; anusmaran = who remembers; raja vR^ittam = royal usage; kuryaat = act; hR^idaye = with heart; tat idam vachanam = such of these words; raajJNaH = of king; upeyushhaH = who got; baalyam = childhood punaH = again?"
"Which son, knowing royal usage, can agree to the words of this king who is behaving as though he got childhood again?"
yaavad eva na jaanaati kashcit artham imam naraH |
taavad eva mayaa saadham aatmastham kuru shaasanam ||2-21-8
8. "yaavadeva = even till; kashchit = any; naraH = person; na jaanaati = does not know; ivam artham = this matter; taava deva = in the mean time; kuru = make; shaasanam = dominion; aatmastham = your own; mayaa sa ardham = together with me."
"Even before others get to know about this matter, make this dominion your own, with my help."
mayaa paarshve sadhanuShaa tava guptasya raaghava |
kaH samartho adhikam kartum kR^ita antasya iva tiShThataH || 2-21-9
9. raaghava = Oh; Rama! guptasya = protected; mayaa = by me ; parshve = on your side; sadhamshhaa = along with a bow; tishhThataH = you standing; kR^itaantasyeva = like Yama; the god of death; kaH = who; samarthaH = the competent one; kartum = to do; adhikam = too much?"
"Oh, Rama! While I am standing by your side along with a bow, protecting you who are standing as God of Death, who is capable of doing too much ?"
nirmanuShyaam imaam sarvaam ayodhyaam manuja R^iShabha |
kariShyaami sharaiaH tiikShNaiH yadi sthaasyati vipriye || 2-21-10
10. manushharshhabha = Oh the best of men! sthaasyati yadi = If it stands; vipriye = disagreeable to you; karishhyaami = I shall make; imaam = this; kR^itsnaam = entire; ayodhyam = Ayodhya; nirmanushhyaam = deserted of people; sharaH tiikshhNaiH = with sharp arrows."
"Oh, Rama, the best of men! If the city of Ayodhya turns against you, I shall make it desolate of men with sharp arrows"
bharatasya atha pakShyo vaa yo vaa asya hitam icchati |
sarvaan etaan vadhiShyaami mR^idur hi paribhuuyate || 2-21-11
11. "atha = and vadhishhyaami = I shall kill; etaam sarvaan = all those; pakshhyovaa = who are siding; bharatasya = Bharata; yovaa = and who; ichchhati = desire; asya = his; hitam = benefit; mR^iduH = soft person; paribhuuyate hi = indeed gets disgraced."
"I shall kill all those who are siding Bharata ,and are favourable to him. Soft person indeed gets disgraced!"
protsaahito.ayam kaikeyyaa sa dushhTo yadiH pitaa |
amitrabhuuto nissaN^gam vadhyataam badhyataamapi || 2-21-12
12. "protsaahitaH = Instigated; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi saH = such of; naH putraa = our father; dushhTaH = as bad person; amitra bhuutaH = becomes enemy; ayam badhyataam = let him be imprisoned; mi ssaNgam = without personal attachment; vaadhyataamapi = and be killed!"
"If our father with an evil mind behaves like our enemy with instigation by Kaikeyi. I shall keep him imprisoned with out personal attachment or if necessary, kill him."
gurorapyavaliptasya kaaryaakaaryamajaanataH |
utphatham pratipannasya kaaryam bhavati shaasanm || 2-21-13
13. gurorapi = Even for a venerable person; avaliptasya = who is arrogant; ajaanataH = who does not know; kaaryaakaaryam = good and evil actions; pratipunnasya = who resorts to; utpatham = wrong route; shaasanam = punishment; bhavati = becomes; kaaryam = feasible."
"Even a venerable person is to be punished, if he becomes arrogant, if he does not know good and evil actions and if he takes to a wrong route."
balameshha kimaashritya hetum vaa purushharshhabha |
daatumichchhati kaikeyya raajyam sthitamidam tava || 2-21-14
14. purushharshhabha = Oh the best of men! kim = what; balam = strength; hetum vaa = or reason; eshhaH = he; aastritya = has taken shelter; ichchhati = desiring ; daatum = to give; idam = this ; raajyam = kingdom; tava sthitam = belonging to you; kaikeyyai = for Kaikeyi.
"Oh, Rama, the best of men! On what strength or season has he taken shelter to give away this kingdom belonging to you to Kaikeyi?"
tvayaa caiva mayaa caiva kR^itvaa vairam anuttamam |
kasya shaktiH shriyam daatum bharataaya ari shaasana || 2-21-15
15. arishaasana = Oh; the chastiser of enemies ! kaa shaktiH = what ability is there; asya = to him; daatum = to give; shriyam = high rank; bharataaya = to Bharata; kR^itvaa = by making; anuttamam = great; vairam = enmity; tvayaa chaiva = with you; mayaa chaiva = and with me."
"Oh, Rama the chestiser of enemies! Where is the ability for him to give kingdom to Bharata, by making great enmity against you and me "
anuraktaH asmi bhaavena bhraataram devi tattvataH |
satyena dhanuShaa caiva dattena iShTena te shape || 2-21-16
16. devi = Oh; queen! tattvataH = really; anuraktaH asmi = I am attached; bhaavena = devotedly; bhraataram = my brother Rama; shape = I am swearing an oath; te = to you; satyena = by truth; dhanushhaachaiva = by bow; daltena = by the act of giving; ishhTena = by the act of sacrifice."
"Oh, queen! Really, I am devotedly attached to my brother Rama. I am swearing an oath to you by truth by bow, by the act of giving and by the act of sacrifice."
diiptam agnim araNyam vaa yadi raamaH pravekShyate |
praviShTam tatra maam devi tvam puurvam avadhaaraya || 2-21-17
17. devi = oh;queen! ramaH pravekshhyati yadi = If Rama can enter; diiptam = blazing; agnim = fire; araNyam vaa = or forest; tvam = you avadhaaraya = make certain; puurvam = even before; maam = mine; pravishhTam = who can enter; tatra = there.
"Oh, queen! If Rama can enter blazing fire or forest, you make certain that even before, I can enter there"
haraami viiryaat duhkham te tamaH suuryaiva uditaH |
devii pashyatu me viiryam raaghavaH caiva pashyatu || 2-21-18
18. haraami = I shall alleviate; te duHkham = your grief; viiryaat = by my valour; tama iva = as darkness; uditaH = by rising; suuryaH = sun; pashyatu devii = Let the queen see; me viiryam = my valour; pashyatu raaghavashchaiva = Let Rama also see."
"I shall alleviate your grief, by showing my valour like the rising sun alleviating darkness .Let Rama and yourself see my valour"
etat tu vacanam shrutvaa lakShmaNasya mahaatmanaH |
uvaaca raamam kausalyaa rudantii shoka laalasaa || 2-21-19
19. shrutva = Hearing; etat vachanam = this word; lakshmaNasya = of Lakshmana; mahaat manaH = the magnanimous; kausalya = Kausalya; shokalaalasaa = entirely; given up to anguish; rudaati = weaping; uvaacha = spoke; raamam = to Rama.
Hearing these words of Lakshmana the magnanimous, Kausalya entirely given up to anguish and weaping, spoke thus to Rama.
bhraatus te vadataH putra lakShmaNasya shrutam tvayaa |
yad atra anantaram tat tvam kuruShva yadi rocate || 2-21-20
20. putra = Oh;son shrutam = It is heard tvayaa = by you; te = your; bhraatuaH = brother lakshhmanasya = Lakshmana; vadataH = speaking; rochate yadi = If you agree; kurushhva = you do; yat = what; kaaryam = action to be done; anantaram = immediately after."
"Oh, son !You have heard the words of Lakshmana .If you agree, you do what is to be done, immediately."
na ca adharmyam vacaH shrutvaa sapatnyaa mama bhaaShitam |
vihaaya shoka samtaptaam gantum arhasi maam itaH || 2-21-21
21. na arhasi = you are not suited; gantum = to go; itaha = from here; vihaaya = leaving; maam = me; sokasamtaptaam = in deep grief; shrutvaa = hearing; adharmyam vachaH = the un-just words; bhaashitam = said; mama sapatnyaa = by my co-wife.
"It is not proper for you to go away from here, leaving me afflicted with grief, after hearing the un-just words spoken by my co-wife."
dharmaGYa yadi dharmiShTho dharmam caritum icchasi |
shushruuSha maam ihasthaH tvam cara dharmam anuttamam || 2-21-22
22. dharmajJNa = Oh; the knower of goodness! tvam ichchhasi yadi = If you desire; charitum = to practice dharmam = virtue; dharnushhTaH = be a virtuous man; ihasthaH = stay here; shushruushha = serve maam = me chara = practice anuttamam = best dharmam = goodness"
"Oh, Rama! You are righteous man. If you desire to practice virtue, be a virtuous man and stay here serving me thereby practicing the best morality in the form of serving your mother.
shushruuShur jananiim putra sva gR^ihe niyataH vasan |
pareNa tapasaa yuktaH kaashyapaH tridivam gataH || 2-21-23
23. kaasyapaH = sage; kasyapa niyataH = with self restraint; vasan = was residing; svagR^ihe = in own house; yuktaH = accompanied; vareNa tapasaa = with great austerity; sushruushhuH = of serving; jananiim = the mother; gataH = went; tridivam = to heaven"
"Oh, son! Formerly Kasyapa was staying in his own house itself with self restraint, performed great austerity by serving his mother and went to heaven"
yathaa eva raajaa puujyaH te gauraveNa tathaa hi aham |
tvaam na aham anujaanaami na gantavyam itaH vanam || 2-21-24
24. yathaiva = Just as raajaa = king; gouraveNa = by respectable feeling; te = to you; puUjyaH = is worthy of worship; aham = I am also; tathaa hi = indeed so; naanujaanaami = I am not permitting ; tvaam = you; nagantavyam = it is proper to go; itaH = from here; vanam = to forest"
"Just as the king, by respectable feeling to you is worthy of worship, so also being your mother, I am worthy of worship to you. Hence, do not go to the forest"
tvad viyogaan na me kaaryam jiivitena sukhena vaa |
tvayaa saha mama shreyaH tR^iNaanaam api bhakShaNam || 2-21-25
25. tvadviyogaat = Because of your separation; na kaaryam = there is no purpose; jiivitena = for life; su khena vaa = or comforts; mama = for me; shreyaH = it is good; bhakshhaNam api = even to eat; tR^iNaanaam = grass; tvayaa saha = while staying with you"
"After your separation, I shall have no use of this life or comforts for me, it is good even to eat grass while staying with you"
yadi tvam yaasyasi vanam tyaktvaa maam shoka laalasaam |
aham praayam iha aasiShye na hi shakShyaami jiivitum || 2-21-26
26. tvaam yaasyasiyadi = If you go; vanam = to forest; tyaktvaa = leaving; maam = me; shokalaalasaam = who is afflicted with grief; aham = I praayam asishhye = shall seek death through starvation; iha = here; na shakshhyaami hi = Indeed; I shall not be able; jiivutum = to live
"I shall not live if you leave for the forest, leaving me who is afflicted with grief. I shall seek death through starvation"
tataH stvam praapsyase putra nirayam loka vishrutam |
brahma hatyaam iva adharmaat samudraH saritaam patiH || 2-21-27
27. putra = Oh;son! tataH = Thereafter; tvam = you; praapsyase = will attain; lokavishrutam = the universally famous; nirayam = hell; brahmahatyaamiva = like obtaining the sin of killing a Brahmana by; samudraH = the god of ocean; saritaampatiH = lord of rivers adharmaat = due to un justice behaviour"
"Oh, son! If I fast myself to death for your sake, you will attain the universally famous hell, like the god of the ocean obtaining trouble because of his un justice behaviour, towards the sage called Pippalada, producing the latter's wrath."
vilapantiim tathaa diinaam kausalyaam jananiim tataH |
uvaaca raamaH dharma atmaa vacanam dharma samhitam || 2-21-28
28. tataH = thereafter; dharmaatma = righteous words ; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; vachanam = the words; dharmasamhitam = attended with virtuous; kausalyaam = to Kausalya; jananiim = the mother; tathaa = thus; vilapantiim = weaping; diinaam = miserably.
The honest Rama spoke these virtuous words to his mother Kausalya, who was thus weeping miserably.
na asti shaktiH pitur vaakyam samatikramitum mama |
prasaadaye tvaam shirasaa gantum icchaamy aham vanam || 2-21-29
29. naasti = there is no; shaktiH = ability; mama = for me ; samatikramitum = to violet; pituH = father's; vaakyam = words; aham = I; prasaadaye = am asking for favour; tvaam = to you; shirasaa = with head; ichchaami = I wish gantum = to go; vanam = to forest."
"I am not able to violate my father's words. I am bowing my head and asking your favour. I shall have to go to the forest"
R^iShiNaa ca pitur vaakyam kurvataa vrata caariNaa |
gaur hataa jaanataa dharmam kaNDunaa api vipashcitaa || 2-21-30
30. gouH api = Even a cow; hataa = was killed; kurvataa = acting as per; pituH = father's; vaakyam = words; kandunaa = by Kandu; R^ishhiNaa = the sage; vratachaariNaa = who performed religious vows; jaanataa = who knew; dharmam = righteousness; vipashchita = who was learned."
"A sage called Kandu, who knew righteousness, who performed religious vows and who was a learned man, killed even a cow, acting as per his father's words"
asmaakam ca kule puurvam sagarasya aaGYayaa pituH |
khanadbhiH saagaraiH bhuutim avaaptaH sumahaan vadhaH || 2-21-31
31. puurvam = previously; saagaraiH = by the sons of Sagara; asmaakam = of our; kulecha = race also; sumahaan = a great vadhaH = killing; avaaptaH = was obtained; kharadbhiH = while digging up; bhuumim = the earth; aajJNayaa = by the order of ; sagarasya = of Sagara pituH = their father."
"Previously, the sons of Sagara belonging to our race, were got bitterly digging up the earth, as commanded by their father."
jaamadagnyena raameNa reNukaa jananii svayam |
kR^ittaa parashunaa araNye pitur vacana kaariNaa || 2-21-32
32. raameNa = by Parasurama; jaamadagniyaina = the son of Jamadagni; renuka = Renuka; janamii = mother kR^ittaa = was cut off; svayam = spontaneously ; parashunaa = by axe; araNye = in the forest; vachana kaariNaa = as per words; pituH = of father;
"Parasu Rama, the son of Jamadagni personally slayed his mother Renuka in the forest with an axe as per his father's words."
etairanyaishcha bahubhirdevi devasamaiH kR^itam |
piturvachanamakliibam karishhyaami piturshitam || 2-21-33
33. devi = Oh;queen! etaiH = by these; bahubhiH anyaisheha = by many others; devasamaanaiH = equivelant to gods -pituH = father's; vachanam = words kR^itam = was made akliibam = no waste; karishhyaami = I shall do; pituH = father's hitam = assignment"
"Oh, mother! These and many others who were equivalent to gods, did not make their father' s words to go waste. I shall also do what is desired by my father"
na khalv etan mayaa ekena kriyate pitR^i shaasanam |
etairapi kR^itam devi ye mayaa tava kiirtitaaH || 2-21-34
34. devi = Oh;queen! etat = This; pitR^ishasanam = father's command; na kriyate = was not done mayaa = by me; ekena = only; etairapi = Also by these; ye = who kiirtitaa = were; mentioned tava = to you; mayaa = by me; kR^itam = it was done."
"Oh, mother! I am not the only person to act according to father's command. Those I have mentioned to you hitherto also complied with their father's command."
naaham dharmamapuurvam te pratikuulam pravartaye |
puurvaiH ayam abhipretaH gataH maargo anugamyate || 2-21-35
35. "aham = I; na pravartaye = am not setting out; apuurvam = new; pratikuulam = contradicting; dharmam = customary conduct; te = for you; anugamyate = I am following; ayam = this; maargam = way; abhipretaH = agreed; gataH = followed by; puurvaiH = the ancient."
"I am not setting any new contradicting customary conduct for your sake. I am adhering to the way agreed and followed by the ancient."
tat etat tu mayaa kaaryam kriyate bhuvi na anyathaa |
pitur hi vacanam kurvan na kashcin naama hiiyate || 2-21-36
36. na kriyate = It cannot be done; anyathaa = otherwise; mayaa = by me; tat etat = than such of this; kaaryam = practice; bhuvi = on earth; na hiiyate naama = No deprivation indeed; kashchit = for anyone kurvam = doing; pituH = father's; vachanam = words."
"I cannot do otherwise than acting in accordance with father's words, the prevalent practice on earth. There is no deprivation indeed for anyone who complies with father's commands."
taam evam uktvaa jananiim lakShmaNam punar abraviit |
tava lakShmaNa jaanaami mayi sneham anuttamam || 2-21-37
37. shreshhThaH = the best; vaakyavidaam = of those knowing the speech; shreshhTaH = the best; sarva dhanushhTataam = of all those wearing the bow; evam = thus; uktaava = spoke; taam jananiim = to that mother; punaH = again; abraviit = spoke; lakshmanam = to Lakshmana.
Rama, the best of those who speak skilfully and the best of all those wearing the bow, spoke thus to his mother and turned round to Lakshmana to speak.
tava lakshmaNa jaanaami mayi snehamanuttamam |
vikramam chaiva satyam cha tejashcha suduraasadam || 2-21-38
38. lakshmana = Oh; Lakshmana! jaanaami = I know tava = your anuttamam = highest sneham = affection mayi = in me vikramam chaiva = heroic valour sattvam cha = strength; suduraasadam = un assailable tejashcha = splendour."
"Oh, Lakshmana ! I know your highest affection towards me, your heroic valour ,your strength and your unassailable splendour ."
mama maaturmahadduHkhamatulam shubhalakshamNa |
abhipraayam aviGYaaya satyasya ca shamasya ca || 2-21-39
39. subhakshhaNa = Oh; Lakshmana; with good attributes! atulam mahat duHkham = there is an unqualled and great grief; mama maatuH = to my mother; aviN^yaaya = by not knowing; abhipraayam = the meaning; satyasya cha = of truth and shamasyacha = tranquility.
" Oh, Lakshmana, with good attributes! My mother is feeling a great and unequalled sorrow, by not knowing the secret of truth and tranquillity."
dharmaH hi paramaH loke dharme satyam pratiShThitam |
dharma sa.nshritam etac ca pitur vacanam uttamam || 2-21-40
40. dharmaH = righteousness; paramohi = is indeed the best; loke = in the world; satyam = truth; pratishhThiam = is established; dharma = in righteousness; etat = these; uttamam = best; vachanamcha = words also; pituH = of father; dharmasamshnitam = are enjoined in righteousness.
"Righteousness is the best of all qualities in the world. Truth is established in righteousness. Even these best words of father are enjoined with righteousness."
sa.nshrutya ca pitur vaakyam maatur vaa braahmaNasya vaa |
na kartavyam vR^ithaa viira dharmam aashritya tiShThataa || 2-21-41
41. viiraH = oh; Lakshmana the valiant! tishhThataa = one who is aashritya = following; dharmam = righteousness; nakartavyam = is not obliged; vR^ithaa = to waste; vaakyam = the word; samshrutya = promised; pituH = to father or; maaturvaa = mother or; brahmanasya vaa = Brahmana.
"One who follows righteousness, does not waste his promise given to one's father or mother or Brahmana."
so aham na shakShyaami pitur niyogam ativartitum |
pitur hi vacanaat viira kaikeyyaa aham pracoditaH || 2-21-42
42. viira = oh; the valiant! saH aham = I; being such person; nashakshhyaami ativartitum = cannot trasgrass; niyogam = the command; pituH = of father; vachanaat = for the word; pituH = of father; aham = I; prachoditohi = was indeed instigated; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi.
" I cannot transgress my father's command. On the word given by my father only, Kaikeyi instigated me to go to the forest."
tat enaam visR^ija anaaryaam kShatra dharma aashritaam matim |
dharmam aashraya maa taikShNyam mad buddhir anugamyataam || 2-21-43
43. tat = hence; visR^ija = leave; anaaryaam = the mean; matim = mentality; kshhatra dharmaashritaam = of followig military heroism; aashraya = take refuge; dharamam = in righteousness; maa = not; taikhhNyam = in rudeness; anugamya = follow; madbuadhiH = my perception.
"Hence, leave this mean mentality of military heroism. Observe righteousness and not rudeness. follow my perception."
tam evam uktvaa sauhaardaat bhraataram lakShmaNa agrajaH |
uvaaca bhuuyaH kausalyaam praanjaliH shirasaa aanataH || 2-21-44
44. lakshhmaNaagrajaH = Rama; the elder brother of Lakshmana; evam = thus; uktvaa = spoke; sauhaardaat = affectionately; bhraataram = to brother; nataH = bowed; shirasaa = with head; praaNjaliH = with folded hands; uvaacha = spoke; bhuuyaH = again; kausalyaam = to Kausalya.
Rama spoke thus to his brother affectionately, bowed to his mother and with folded hands, spoke again to Kausalya as follows.
anumanyasva maam devi gamiShyantam itaH vanam |
shaapitaa asi mama praaNaiH kuru svastyayanaani me || 2-21-45
45. devii = oh; mother! anumanyasva = permit; maam = me; gamishhyantam = who is about to go; vanam = to forest; shaapitaa asi = on my life; kuru = invode; svastyanaani = blessings; me = on me.
"OH, mother! I have decided to go to forest. Please give me permission. I am swearing to you on my life. Please invoke blessings on me."
tiirNa pratiGYaH ca vanaat punar eShyaamy aham puriim |
yayaatiriva raajarshhiH puraa hitvaa punardhivam || 2-21-46
46. puraa = in olden times; iva = as; raajarshhiH = the sage king; yayaatiH = named yayaati; hitvaa = left; divam = heaven;divam = reached heaven; punaH = again; aham eshhyaami = I can come; punaH = back; puriim = to city; vanaat = from forest; tirNa pratijJNyaH = after fulfuilling the promise.
"As sage king named Yayati in olden times left the heaven and reached back heaven again, I shall be back to the city from the forest, after fulfilling my promise."
shokassa.ndhaaryataam maatarhR^idaye saadhu maa shuchaH |
vanavaasaadihaishhyaami punaH kR^itvaa piturvachaH || 2-21-47
47. maataH = oh; mother! maashuchaH = do not grieve; samdhaaryaam = bear; saadhu = well; hR^idaye = in heart; eshhyaami = I shall come; iha = here; punaH = again; vanavaasaat = from forest; kR^itvaa = after fulfilling; pituH = father's; vachaH = command.
"Oh, mother! Please do not grieve, Bear it well in your heart. I shall come back here again from the forest after fulfilling the father's command."
tvayaa mayaa cha vaidehyaa lakshmaNena sumitrayaa |
piturniyoge sthaatavyameshha dharmaH sanaaanaH || 2-21-48
48. pituH niyoge = In father's command; sthhaatavyam = should be remainded; tvayaa = by you; mayaa cha = by me; vaidehyaa = by Sita; lakshhmaNena = by Lakshmana; sumitrayaa = by Sumitra; eshhaH = this is; sanaatanaH = eternal; dharmaH = custom.
"You and I, Sita, Lakshmana, Sumintra and all of us should follow father's directions. This is an eternal custom."
amba samhR^itya sambhaaraan duHkham hR^idi nigR^ihya cha |
vanavaasakR^itaa buddhirmama dharmyaanuvartyataam || 2-21-49
49. amba = oh; mother! mama buddhiH = my intention; vanavaasa kR^itaa = of proceeding to forest; dharmyaa = which is righteous; anuvartyataam = be approved; samhR^itya = duly with drawing; sambhaaraan = preparations for coronation; nigR^ihyacha = keeping in check; duHkham = sorrow; hR^idi = in heart.
"Oh mother! Please approve my righteous intention of going to the forest, duly withdrawing preparations for my coronation and keeping in check the sorrow in your heart."
etadvacha stasya nishamya maataa |
sudharmyamavyagramaviklabam cha |
mR^iteva samjJNaam pratilabhya devii |
samiikshya raamam punarityuvaacha || 2-21-50
50. maataa = the mother; devii = kausalya; nishamya = heard; tasya = that Rama's; vachaH = words; etat = here; sudharmyam = which were the most virtuous; avyagram = which wer cool; aviklabam cha = and which were not unsteady; pratilabhya = regained; saNjJNyaam = consciousness; mR^iteva = looked at; raamam = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; punaH = again; iti = thus .
The mother Kausalya heard the most virtuous, cool and steady words of Rama and rose, as though regained consciousness once more after death, looked at Rama and spoke thus again.
yathaiva te putra pitaa tathaaham |
guruH svadharmeNa suhR^ittayaa cha |
na tvaanujaanaami na maaMvihaaya |
suduHkhitaamarhasi gantumevam || 2-21-51
51. putra = oh; son! aham = I am also; guruH = respectable person; te = to you; pitaa yathaiva = as indeed your father; svadharmeNa = in my own right; suhR^ittayaacha = and due to great affection; naanujaanaami = I do not permit; tvaa = you; naarhasi gantum = to go; evam = thus; vihaaya = leaving; maam = me ; suduHkhitaam = in great sorrow.
"Oh, son! I am also as respectable a person to you as your father, in my own right and due to great affection. I do not give permission to you. You cannot thus go away, leaving me in great sorrow."
kim jiiviteneha vinaa tvayaa me |
lokena vaa kim svadhayaa.amR^itena |
shreyo muhuurtam tava sannidhaanam |
mameha kR^itsnaadapi jiivalokaat || 2-21-52
52. kim = what is the use; jiivitena = of living; iha = here; me = to me; tvayaavinaa = without you? kim = what is the use; lokena = of the other world; svadhayaa = or the oblation of food offered to the deceased ancestors; amR^itenavaa = or the nectar of immortality? tava = your; samnidhaanam = proximity; muhuurtam = even for a moment; shreyaH = is better; kR^itsnaat = than entire; jiivalokaat api = world of living beings too.
"What is the use of my living in this world without you? What is the use of the other world or the oblation of food offered to the deceased ancestors or the nectar of immortality? Your proximity even for a moment is better than that of the entire world of living beings."
bhuuyaH prajajvaala vilaapamevam |
nishamya raamaH karuNam jananyaa || 2-21-53
53. nishamya = hearing; karuNam = pathetic; vilaapam = lamentation; jananyaa = of mother; prajajvaala = he was highly agonised; bhuuyaH = again; mahaagaja iva = as a great elephant; ampravishhTaH = having entered; adhvaanam = way; apohyamaanaH = being taken away; naraiH = ny men; ulkaabhiH = with flames of fire.
After hearing the pathetic lamentation of his mother, he was highly anguished, as when an elephant is removed highly from its way by men with flames of fire.
sa maataram chaiva visamjJNakalpaa |
maartam cha saumitri mabhiprataptam |
dharme sthito dharmyamuvaacha vaakyam |
yathaa sa evaarhati tatra vaktum || 2-21-54
54. saH = that Rama; sthitaH = who was established; dharme = in righteousness; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = the words; dharmyam = endued with virtue; yathaa = in which manner; tatra = at that time; sa eva = he only; arhati = was fit; vaktum = to speak; maataramchaiva = to mother; visaMjJNakalpaam = appearing unconscious; saumitrim = to Lakshmana; aartam = who was disturbed; abhiprataptam = and exhausted with distress.
Rama, who was established in righteousness, spoke these words endowed with virtue, to his mother who was looking unconscious and to Lakshmana who was disturbed and exhausted with distress. He was the only person worthy of speaking thus at that time.
aham hi te lakshmaNa nityameva |
jaanaami bhaktim cha paraakramam cha |
mama tvabhipraaya masanniriikshya |
maatraa sahaabhyardasi maa suduHkham || 2-21-55
55. lakshmana = Oh; Lakshmana! aham = I; nityameva = always; jaanaami = know; te = your; bhakitmacha = devotion and; parakramamcha = strength; tu = but; maatraa saha = along with mother; abhyardamasi = you are afflicting; suduHkham = much pain; mama = to me; asanniririikshhya = without looking at; mama = my; abhipraayam = opionon.
"Oh, Lakshmana! I always know your devotion towards me as well as your strength. But now, you are joining with mother in afflicting much trouble to me without looking at my opinion."
dharmaarthakaamaaH khalu taata loke |
samiikshitaa dharmaphalodayeshhu |
te tatra sarve syurasa.nshayam me |
bhaaryeva vashyaabhimataa suputraa || 2-21-56
56. taata = Oh; father a ter (of affection addressed to a junior or senior); loke = in the world; dharmaphalodayeshhu = in obtaining the fruit of good works; dharmaarthakaamaaH = righteousness; utility and free will; samiikshhitaaH = are looked at; bhaaryeva = as a wife; vashyaa = who is obedient; abhimataa = who is beloved; suputraa = who is having good sons; tatra = in those good words; te sarve = all those; syuH = are there; asamshayam = no doubt; me = for me.
"Oh, Lakshmana! In obtaining the fruit of good works in the world, righteousness utility and free will are being considered. As a wife who is obedient, who is beloved and who is having good sons, good work yields all these three things."
yasmi.nstu sarve syurasannivishhTaa |
dharmo yataH syaat tadupakrameta |
dveshhyo bhavatyarthaparo hi loke |
kaamaatmataa khalvapi na prashastaa || 2-21-57
57. tat = that; yasmin = in which; sarve = all these; asannivishhTaaH syuH = do not come together; yataH by which; dharmaH = righteousness; syaat = is created; upakrameta = is to be initiated; loke = in the world; arthaparaH = one who is intested in wealth alone; bhavatihi = becomes indeed; devshhyaH = fit to be hated; kaamaatmataapi = so also; the ne whose very essence is desire; na prashastaa khalu = cannot indeed be considered good.
"Only such an action, which is righteous, is to be initiated, leaving that in which wealth, desire and righteousness do not come together. One who is intested in wealth alone becomes indeed fit to be hated in the world. So also the one whose very essence is desire, cannot indeed be considered good.
gurushcha raajaa cha pitaa cha vR^iddhaH |
krodhaatpraharshha dyadi vaapi kaamaat |
yadvyaadishet kaaryamavekshya dharmam |
kastanna kuryaadanR^idanR^isha.nsavR^ittiH || 2-21-58
58. pitaa = father; gurshcha = who is venerable; rajaacha = a king; vR^iddhaH cha = and old aged; vyaadishet = commends; yat = for which reason; kaaryam = an action; krodhaat = either by anger; prahrshhaat = or by extreme joy; yadivaa kamaat api = or by even desire; kaH = who; apekshhya = with reference to dharmam = righteousness; anR^ishamsa vR^ittiiH = and not choosing cruelty; nakuryaat = will not do?
"When father, who is venerable, a king and old-aged, commands an action either by anger or by extreme joy or by even desire, which right person will not perform it? Only a person who chooses to be cruel will not do it."
savai na shaknomi pituH pratijJNaa |
mimaamakartum sakalam yathaavat |
sa hyavayostata gururniyoge |
devaashcha bhartaa sa gatissa dharmaH || 2-21-59
59. saH = such of myself; na shaknomivgi = cannot; akartum = avoid; pituH = father's; imaam pratijJNyaam = this propostion; sakalaam = in entirety; taata = oh; father! aavoyaH = for both of us; saH = he; furuH hi = is indeed important person; niyoge = to command; devyaashcha = for mother also; saH = he; bhartaa = the husband; saH = he; gatiH = the resource person; dharmaH = the law; personified.
"I cannot avoid fulfilling the father's command completely. For both of us, he is an important person indeed to command us. To mother Kausalya also, he is the husband, the resource person and the personified law."
tasmin punarjiivati dharmaraaje |
visheshhataH sve pathi vartamaane |
devii mayaa saarthamito.apagachchhet |
katham svidanyaa vidhaveva naarii || 2-21-60
60. dharmaraaje = the righteous king; tasmin = himself; jiivati = alive; visheshhatatH = espacially; vartamaane = being; sve pathhi = in his own path; katham svit = how; devii = mother kausalya; avagachhet = can go out; mayaa saardham = with me; itaH = from here; anyaa naariiva = like other woman; vidhavaa = without husband?
"while the righteous king Dasaratha is alive and especially when he is following his own righteous path, how the mother Kausalya can go out with me from here leaving the city like other widowed woman?"
saa maanumanyasva vanam vrajantam |
kurushhva naH svastyayanaani devi |
yathaa samaapte punaraavrajeyam |
yathaa hi styena punaryayaatiH || 2-21-61
61. devii = Oh; queen! anumanyasva = permit; maa = me; vrajantam = going; vanam = to forest; yathaa hi = as indeed; yayaatiH = yayati; punaH = returned; satyena = by power of stregth; yathaa = so; avrajeyam = I can come; punaH = again; samaapte = after completion of excile; kurushhva = perform; svastyayanaani = recitation of Mantra for well-being.
"Oh, mother the queen! Permit me to go to forest. As Yayati returned to heaven by the power of truth, give me your power of blessings so that I can return here after completion of exile."
yasho hyaham kevalaraajyakaaraNaat |
na pR^ishhThataH kartumalam mahodayam |
adiirghakaale na tu devi jiivite |
vR^iNe.avaraamadya mahiimadharmataH || 2-21-62
62. aham = I; na alam = cannot; vR^ishhTataH kartum = keep back; yashaH = reputation; mahodayam = and glory ; kevalaraajyakaaraNaat = for the sake of kingdom alone; devii = oh; queen! jiivite = In this life; adiirghakaale = which is not long; navR^iNe = I cannot long for; adya = now; avaraam = inferior; mahiim = earth; adharmataH = unrighteously.
"I cannot keep back reputation and glory for the sake of kingdom alone. This cannot unrighteously long for this inferior kingdom."
prasaadayan nara vR^iShabhaH sa maataram |
paraakramaajjigamishhureva domDakaan |
atha anujam bhRsham anushaasya darshanam |
cakaara taam hRdi jananiim pradakShiNam || 2-21-63
63. saH = that Rama; navR^ishhabhaH = the best of men; jigimishhureva = desired to go; daNdakaan = to Dandaka forest ; paraakramaat = with prowess; prasaadayan = consoling; maataram = mother; atha = and afterwards; anushaasya = advised; amjam = brother; bhR^isham = intensely; darshanam = with good thoughts; pradakshhiNam chakaara = made circumbulatory salutation; taamjanamiim = to his mother; hR^idi = heartily.
Rama, the best of men, decided to go to Dandaka forest fearlessly with his prowess, consoled his mother, advised his brother by good thoughts and made hearty circumbulatory salutation to his mother.
- - -
|| ityaarshhe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe ekavi.nshaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy