Rama approaches his mother Kausalya to inform her of the calamity. Kausalya on hearing the news, faints. On recovering, she laments in the most grevious tones to Rama.
तस्मिंस्तु पुरुष्व्याघ्रे निष्क्रामति कृताञ्जलौ |
आर्तशच्दो महान् जज्ञे स्त्रीणाम न्तःपुरे तदा || २-२०-१
1. tadaa = Then; tasmin = that Rama; purushha vyaaaghre = the best of men; nishhkraamati = While leaving; kR^itaanjalou = after offering salutation; sriiNaam = among women; antaHpura = in the palace; jajJNe = there was; mahaan = great aartashsbdaH = cry of pain.
While Rama, the best of men was leaving, after offering salutation to his father, women in the palace were weaping loudly.
क्ऱ्^त्येष्वचोदितः पित्रा सर्वस्यान्तः पुरस्य च |
गतिर्यः शरणम् चासीत् स रोओमोऽद्य प्रवत्स्यति || २-२०-२
2. yaH = which Rama; achoditaH = without being prompted; pitraa = by father kR^ityeshhu = in actions; aasiit = became; gatiH = the recourse; sharaNamcha = and protector; sarvasya = to entire; anta purasya = palace; saH raamaH = such Rama; pravatsyati = is going to exile; adya = now.
Which Rama, without being told by his father, used to do necessary activities and protect the entire palace, is about to go to exile now".
कौसल्यायाम् यथा युक्तो जनन्याम् वर्तते सदा |
तथैव वर्ततेऽस्मासु जन्मप्रभृति राघवः || २-२०-३
3. raaghavaH = Rama; janma prabhR^iti = since he was born; vartate = was behaving; tathaiva = in the same way; asmaasu = towards us; yathaa = as how; yuktaH = attentive; sadaa = always; kausalyaam = towards Kausalya; jananyaam = who was the mother.
"Rama, since he was born, was showing the same attention to us, as he was showing to his mother Kausalya."
न क्रुध्यत्यभिशस्तोऽपि क्रोधनीयानि वर्जयन् |
कृद्धान् प्रसादयन् सर्वान् स इतोऽद्य प्रवत्स्यति || २-२०-४
4.varjayan = used to avoid; krodhayaani = actions which created anger; prasaadayani = soothed; sarvaan = all; kruddhaan = who were angry; na kruddhyati = was not furious; abhishasto api = even if abused; saH = Such Rama Pravatsyati = is going to exile; adya = to day; itaH = from here.
"He used to avoid actions which created anger and soothed all those who were angry. Rama was not furious with those who abused him. Such Rama is going today to exile."
अभुद्धिर्बत नो राजा जीवलोकम् चरत्ययम् |
यो गतिम् सर्वभूतानाम् परित्यजति राघवम् || २-२०-५
5. yaH = Which Dasaratha parityajati = by abonding raaghavam = Rama gatim = who was helpful sarvabhuutaanaam = to all beings ayam = this naH rajahaa = our king abuddhiH = who is stupid; charati = is offending jiivalokam = all beings."
"Our stupid king by abandoning Rama who was helpful to all beings , is offending all the beings."
इति सर्वा महिष्यस्ता विवत्सा इव धेनवः |
पतिमाचुक्रुशुश्चैव सस्वरम् चापि चुक्रुशुः || २-२०-६
6. iti = Thus sarvaaH = all taaH = those mahishhaH = king's consorts chukrushuHcha api = were weaping sasvaram = with sound; dhenavaH = who lost their calves aachukrushushcha eva = also abused patim = husband.
Thus, all the king consorts while weaping loudly, as cows which lost their Calves, abused their husband .
स हि चान्तः पुरे घोरमार्तशब्धम् महीपतिः |
पुत्रशोकाभिसन्तप्तः श्रुत्वा व्यालीयतासने || २-२०-७
7. shrutva = After hearing aarta shabdam = the distressful sounds yhoram = which was horrible; antaHpura = in the palace mahiipatiH = king Dasaratha vyaaliiyata = clung; aasane = to the seat putra shokaabhisantaptaH = with extreme anguish for his son.
After hearing the terrific distressful crying sounds in the palace, Dasaratha clung to the seat, with extreme anguish for his son.
रामः तु भ्ऱ्शम् आयस्तः निह्श्वसन्न् इव कुन्जरः |
जगाम सहितः भ्रात्रा मातुर् अन्तः पुरम् वशी || २-२०-८
8. raamastu = Rama; be it so; bhRisham = greatly aayastaH = hurt; niHshvasan = sighed kuN^jaraHiva = like elephant; vashii = subdued the senses jagaama = went antaHpuram = to the palace maatuH = of mother bhraatraa sahitaH = along with brother.
Rama, who was greatly hurt, sighed like an elephant, subdued his senses and went to his mother's palace along with Lakshmana
सो अपश्यत् पुरुषम् तत्र व्ऱ्द्धम् परम पूजितम् |
उपविष्टम् ग्ऱ्ह द्वारि तिष्ठतः च अपरान् बहून् || २-२०-९
9. saH = Rama apashyat = saw parama puujitam = much-worshipped vriddham purusham = old man upavishTam = sitting gR^ihadvaari = at the gateway; bahuum = many aparaamshcha = others tishTataH = standing tatra = there.
Rama saw a much worshipped old man sitting at the gateway of the house and many other standing there.
द्ऱ्^ष्ट्वै तु तदा रामं ते सर्वे सहसोत्थिताः |
जयेन जयताम् श्रेष्ठम् वर्धयन्ति स्म राघवम् || २-२०-१०
10. tadaa = Then; dR^iTvaiva = after seeing raamam = Rama te sarve = all of them utthitaaH = rose up sahasaa = quickly vardhayantisma = exhilarating their spirits jayena = by uttering "Hail! Glory!" raaghavam = to Rama jayatam shreshTam = the most triumphant man.
After seeing Rama, all of them rose quickly and greeted Rama the most triumphant man, by uttering the words "May you have increased success!"
प्रविश्य प्रथमाम् कक्ष्याम् द्वितीयायाम् ददर्श सः |
ब्राह्मणान् वेद सम्पन्नान् व्ऱ्द्धान् राज्ञा अभिसत्क्ऱ्तान् || २-२०-११
11. saH = That Rama pravishya = entered prathamaam kakshyaam = the first enclosure; dadarsha = saw dvitiiyaam = at the second gate vriddhaaan = old braahmaNaan = brahmanas; veda sampannaan = perfect in Vedas abhisatkRitaan = honoured raaGyaa = by king.
Rama crossed the first gate and saw old Brahmanas who were perfect in Vedas and duly honoured by the king.
प्रणम्य रामः तान् व्ऱ्द्धांस् त्ऱ्तीयायाम् ददर्श सः |
स्त्रियो व्ऱ्द्धाः च बालाः च द्वार रक्षण तत्पराः || २-२०-१२
12. raamaH = Rama pranamya = saluted taan = those vipraan = brahmanas; dadarsha = saw vR^iddhaaH = old striyaH = women tathaa = and balaaH = girls dvaara rakshaNa tatparaaH = who were interested in guarding the gate tR^itiiyaayaam = the third enclosure.
Rama offered salutation to those brahmanas and saw old women and girls, guarding the gate in the third enclosure.
वर्धयित्वा प्रह्ऱ्ष्टाः ताः प्रविश्य च ग्ऱ्हम् स्त्रियः |
न्यवेदयन्त त्वरिता राम मातुः प्रियम् तदा || २-२०-१३
13. tadaa = Then taaH = those striyaH = women; prahR^ishTaaH = having been glad; vardhayatvaa = greeted Rama with word of success; tvaritaaH = quickly pravishya = entered gR^iham = house; nyavedayasta = informed raamamaatuH = Kausalya; the mother of Rama priyam = the pleasing news.
Then those women, having been delighted, greeted Rama with good word of success, quickly entered the house and informed Kausalya about the lovely arrival of Rama .
कौसल्या अपि तदा देवी रात्रिम् स्थित्वा समाहिता |
प्रभाते तु अकरोत् पूजाम् विष्णोह् पुत्र हित एषिणी || २-२०-१४
14. tadaa = at that time; kausalyaa = Kausalya sthitvaa = having stayed samaahitaa = steadfast raatrim = all the night; akarot = performed pujaam = worship vishhnoH = to Vishnu prabhaate = at dawn putrahi taishhiNii = for the welfare of the son.
At that time, Kausalya having spent the whole night with steadfastness, who performing worship to Vishnu,at dawn, for the welfare of her son.
सा क्षौम वसना ह्ऱ्ष्टा नित्यम् व्रत परायणा |
अग्निम् जुहोति स्म तदा मन्त्रवत् क्ऱ्त मन्गला || २-२०-१५
15. saa = Kausalya vrata paraayaNaa = who was interested to pracise religious vows nityam = regularly; kshhouma vesanaa = was wearing white silk sari kR^ita maN^galaa = made up of auspiciousness; hR^ishhTaa = thrilling with rapture; juhotisma = was doing sacrificial ceremony agnim = in fire mantravat = reciting vedic hymns.
Kausalya, who was interested to practise religious vows regularly was appearing auspiciously by wearing a white silk sari and gladly performing sacrificial ceremony in a sacred fire, by reciting vedic hymns.
प्रविश्य च तदा रामः मातुर् अन्तः पुरम् शुभम् |
ददर्श मातरम् तत्र हावयन्तीम् हुत अशनम् || २-२०-१६
16. tadaa = Then raAmaH = Rama provishya = entered shubham = auspicious maatuH antaHpuram = mother's apartment; dadarsha = saw maataram = mother haavayantiim = performing sacrificial ceremony hutaashanam = in sacred fire tatra = there.
Then Rama entered the auspicious mother's apartment and saw his mother performing sacrificial ceremony in sacred fire there.
देवकार्यनिमित्तम् च तत्रापश्यत् समुद्यतम्|
दध्यक्षतम् घृतम् चैव मोदकान् हविषस्तदा || २-२०-१७
लाजान् माल्यानि शुक्लानि पायसम् कृसरम् तथा |
समिधः पूर्णकुम्भांश्छ ददर्श रघुनंदनः || २-२०-१८
17;18. tatra = There; raghunandanaH = Rama apashyat = saw samudyatam = articles of worship kept ready devakaaryanimiHam = for the purpose of sacred ceremony; dadhyakshhatam = curd;unbroken rice; gR^itam chaiva = clarified butter modakaan = sweet meats; tathaa = and havishhaH = things fit for oblation laajaan = fried grain; shuklaani = white maalyaani = garlands; paayasam = rice boiled in milk; kR^isaram = mixture of rice and peas with a few spices; samidhaH = sacrificial sticks puurNa kumbhaashcha = vessels full of water.
There, Rama saw the articles of worship kept ready for the purpose of the sacred ceremony like curd, unbroken rice, clarified butter, sweet meats, things fit for oblation, fried grain, garlands made of white flowers, rice boiled in milk, mixture of rice and peas with a few spices, sacrificial sticks, vessels full of water etc.
ताम् शुक्लक्षौमसम्वीताम् व्रतयोगेन कर्शिताम् |
तर्पयन्तीम् ददर्शाद्भिः देवताम् देववर्णिनीम् || २-२०-१९
19. dadarsha = saw taam = Kausalya shukla kshhouma samviitaam = who was wearing white silk sari; karshitaam = became lean vratayogena = because of observance of vow; deva varNiniim = having appearance of an angel devataam = gods abdhiH = with water.
Kausalya, who became lean because of observance of vows, was shining like an angel with her white silk sari and was satiating gods by presenting to them libations by water.
सा चिरस्य आत्मजम् द्ऱ्ष्ट्वा मात्ऱ् नन्दनम् आगतम् |
अभिचक्राम सम्ह्ऱ्ष्टा किशोरम् वडवा यथा || २-२०-२०
20. dr^ishTvaa = by seeing aatmajam = her son; aagatam = who came chirasya = after a long time; maatR^i nandanam = who gave delight to his mother; saa = Kausalya samhRishhTaa = was glad abhichakrama = approached; by moving in front; kishoram yathaa = like a young colt; badabaa = by a female horse.
By seeing her son who came after a long time and who gave delight to mother, Kausalya was pleased and approached towards him, like a female horse approaching her young colt.
स मातरमभिक्रान्तामुपसम्गृह्य राघवः |
परिष्वक्तश्च बाहुभ्यामुपाग्रातश्च मूर्धनि || २-२०-२१
21. raamaH = Rama upa samgR^ihya = offered salutation by touching the feet abhikraantam = of approaching maataram = mother; parishhvaktaH = was embraced baahubhyaam = by her arms; upaaghraatashcha = was smelt muurdhani = in his head.
Rama offered salutation to the approaching mother by touching her feet. Then, she took him into her arms and smelt his head.
तम् उवाच दुराधर्षम् राघवम् सुतम् आत्मनः |
कौसल्या पुत्र वात्सल्यात् इदम् प्रिय हितम् वचः || २-२०-२२
22. kausalya = Kausalya vuvaacha = spoke idam = these priyahitham = pleasing and salutary vachaH = words putravaatsalyaat = due to affection on son aatmanaH = her sutam = son tam raaghavam = that Rama duraadharshham = who was unassailable
Kausalya spoke these pleasing words affectionately to her son Rama, who was unassailable by enemies.
व्ऱ्द्धानाम् धर्म शीलानाम् राजर्षीणाम् महात्मनाम् |
प्राप्नुहि आयुः च कीर्तिम् च धर्मम् च उपहितम् कुले || २-२०-२३
23. praapnuhi = obtain aayushcha = long life; kiirtimeha = glory; dharmamcha = and duty upahitam = engrained kule = in your race; vriddhaanam = as with the aged; dharmashhiilaanaam = the great souled; raajarshhiiNaam = the rayol sages.
"Obtain long life and glory, as obtained by the aged , the virtuous, the great souled and the royal sages .Protect the righteousness engrained in your race"
सत्य प्रतिज्ञम् पितरम् राजानम् पश्य राघव |
अद्य एव हि त्वाम् धर्म आत्मा यौवराज्ये अभिषेक्ष्यति || २-२०-२४
24. raaghava = Oh; Rama! pashya = see raajaanam = the king pitaram = your father; satya pratiG^yam = who is having true promise adyaiva = Today itself; dharmaatmaa = that virtuous man abhishhekshhyati = will install tvaam = you youvaraajye = as successor to kingdom.
"Oh,Rama ! King Dasaratha ,your father is a man of true promise. Today itself, you will be installed as successor to the kingdom by your virtuous father."
दत्तमासनमालभ्य भोजनेन निमन्त्रितः |
मातरम् राघवः किंचित् प्रसार्य अन्जलिम् अब्रवीत् || २-२०-२५
25. raaghavaH = Rama nimantritaH = was called bhojanena = for food; aalabhya = touched aasanam = the seat dattam = offered; prasaarya = raised kinchit = slightly aNjalim = joined palms; abraviit = spoke maataram = to mother.
Kausalya asked Rama to take food , but Rama just touched the seat offered by her and after performing salutation to her, spoke thus to his mother.
स स्वभाव विनीतः च गौरवाच् च तदा आनतः |
प्रस्थितो दण्डकारण्यमाप्रष्टुमुपचक्रमे || २-२०-२६
26. tadaa = Then saH = that Rama ; svabhaava viniitashcha = being humble in nature; nataHcha = and modest gouravaat = due to respect for mother; prasthtaH = setting fourth journey daNd^akaaraNy^am = to Dandaka forest; upakrame = was set about aaprasTum = to seek permission.
That Rama , being humble in nature , became still modest due to respect for his mother and was set about to ask her permission before setting forth his journey to Dandaka forest.
देवि नूनम् न जानीषे महद् भयम् उपस्थितम् |
इदम् तव च दुह्खाय वैदेह्या लक्ष्मणस्य च || २-२०-२७
27. devii = oh; mother! na jaaniishhe = you do not know mahat = -great bhayam = dismay upasthitam = is approaching nuunam = indeed. idam = This duHkhaaya = brings grief tavaacha = to you ; vaidehyaa = to Sita lakshhmaN^asyacha = and to Lakshmana.
"Oh,mother! You do not know that a great dismay is approaching now. It brings grief to you, to Sita and to Lakshmana"
गमिष्ये दण्डकारण्यम् किमनेनासनेन मे |
विष्टरासनयोग्यो हि कालोऽयम् मामुपस्थितः || २-२०-२८
28. gamishhye = while going daN^dakaarNy^am = to Dandaka forest; kim = why anena = This seat me = for me? ayam = This kaalaH = time upasthitaH = has appeared; visTaraasanayogyaH = which is fit for a seat made of kusa grass.
"I am going to Dandaka forest. Why this seat for me? Time has come for me to sit on a seat made of Kusha grass."
चतुर्दश हि वर्षाणि वत्स्यामि विजने वने |
मधु मूल फलैः जीवन् हित्वा मुनिवद् आमिषम् || २-२०-२९
29. vatsyaami = I shall live vane = in forest; vijane = bereft of people munivat = like sage chaturdasha = fourteen varshhaaNi = years hitvaa = leaving off aamishham = meat; jiivan = living madhu muulaphalaiH = with honey; roots and fruits.
"I shall live in a solitary forest like a sage for fourteen years, leaving off meat and living with roots, fruits and honey".
भरताय महा राजो यौवराज्यम् प्रयच्चति |
माम् पुनर् दण्डक अरण्यम् विवासयति तापसम् || २-२०-३०
30. mahaarajaH = the great king prayachhati = is giving bharataaya = to Bharata youvaraajyam = the succession to kingdom. maam punaH = To me; however; taapasam = as a sage nivaasayati = making me stay daN^dakaaraNye = in forest
"The great king is giving to Bharata the succession to kingdom and to me, however, he is making me a sage to stay in the forest of Dandaka."
स ष्ट्चाअष्टौ च वर्षाणि वत्स्यामि विजने वने |
आसेवमानो वन्यानि फलमूलैश्च चर्तयन् || २-२०-३१
31. saH = such of myself; aasevamaanaH = has to satisfy vanyaani = with things existing in the forest; vartayam = live phala nuulai = with roots and fruits vatsyaami = reside in vijane vane = forest; of people shaTcha = ashhToucha = for fourteen varshhaaNi = years.
"I have to satisfy with the things existing in the forest and subsist with roots and fruits in a solitary forest for fourteen years."
सा निकृत्तैव सालस्य यष्टिः परशुना वने |
पपात सहसा देवी देवतेव दिवश्च्युता || २-२०-३२
32. saa devii = That queen papaata = fell on floor sahasaa = all at once yashTiH iva = like the branch saalasya = of the tree nikRitta = cut down parashunaa = by axe vane = in the forest; devatena = as angel chyutaa = dropping down divaH = from heaven
The queen Kausalya fell on the floor all at once like the branch of a tree, cut down by an axe and as an angel dropping down from heaven.
ताम् अदुह्ख उचिताम् द्ऱ्ष्ट्वा पतिताम् कदलीम् इव |
रामः तु उत्थापयाम् आस मातरम् गत चेतसम् || २-२०-३३
33. raamaH = Rama dR^ishTvaa = saw taam maataram = that mother aduHkhochitaam = who was fit to be from sorrow; utthaapayaamaasa = lifted up her gatachetanam = who lost consciousness; patitaam = who fell on the floor kadaLiimiva = like a plantain tree.
Seeing Kausalya who was fit to be free from sorrow, Rama lifted up her, who had fallen unconsciously on the floor like a plantain tree.
उपाव्ऱ्त्य उत्थिताम् दीनाम् वडवाम् इव वाहिताम् |
पांशु गुण्ठित सर्व अग्नीम् विममर्श च पाणिना || २-२०-३४
34. vi mamarsha = Rama touched paaNinaa = with hand diinaam = miserable Kausalya; paamsukuNThita sarvaaN^giim = whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder badamaamiva = like a female horse; vaahitaam = made to be carried of load; utthitaam = rose upaavR^ittya = after rolling from side to side.
Rama touched with his hand that miserable Kausalya,whose limbs were covered with fragrant powder and who rose like a loaded horse from the floor on which it rolled from side to side.
सा राघवम् उपासीनम् असुख आर्ता सुख उचिता |
उवाच पुरुष व्याघ्रम् उपश्ऱ्ण्वति लक्ष्मणे || २-२०-३५
35. saa = That kausalya = sukhochita = who was fit for happiness asukhaartaa = but afflicted with sorrow; uvaacha = spoke raaghavam = to Rama purushhavyaaghram = the best of men upaasiinam = who was sitting nearby; lakshhmaN^e = while Lakshmana upashR^iNvati = was hearing.
Kausalya, who was fit for happiness but was afflicted with grief, spoke thus to Rama the best of men who was sitting nearby, while Lakshmana was hearing.
यदि पुत्र न जायेथा मम शोकाय राघव |
न स्म दुह्खम् अतः भूयः पश्येयम् अहम् अप्रजा || २-२०-३६
36. putra = oh;son! raaghavaa = Rama! jayethaaH yadi = If you were not born shokaaya = to cause grief mama = to me aham = I nasma pashyeyam = would not have seen bhuuyaH = greater duHkham = grief ataH = than this aprajaaH = without progeny.
"Oh, Rama! I would not have felt this much grief if I were childless .You are born only to produce sorrow to me."
एकएव हि वन्ध्यायाः शोको भवति मानवः |
अप्रजा अस्मि इति सम्तापो न हि अन्यः पुत्र विद्यते || २-२०-३७
37. putra = Oh;son! na vidyate = There is no anyaH = other santaapaH = grief vandhyaayaaH = to a barren women bhavati hi = There is indeed ekaH = one shokaH eva = only grief maanasaH = relating to mind iti = that asmi aprajaaH "I have no children"
"Oh, son! There is no other grief to a barren woman except the only worry that "I have no sons".
न द्ऱ्ष्ट पूर्वम् कल्याणम् सुखम् वा पति पौरुषे |
अपि पुत्रे विपश्येयम् इति राम आस्थितम् मया || २-२०-३८
38. raamaH = oh; Rama na dR^ishTa puurvam = earlier was not seen sukham vaa = happiness or kalyaaNam = prospering pate pourushhe = during my husband's manliness. asthitam = It was believed mayaa = by me iti = that api pashyeyam = can I see putre_api = at least in my son
"Oh, Rama! I have not seen any happiness or prosperity earlier, while my husband is in power. I believed that I could see them at last when my son comes to power."
सा बहूनि अमनोज्ञानि वाक्यानि ह्ऱ्दयच्चिदाम् |
अहम् श्रोष्ये सपत्नीनाम् अवराणाम् वरा सती || २-२०-३९
39. saa aham = such a person as myself; varaa satii = who is a better and virtuous wife; bahuuni = so many amaroG^Yaani = disagreeable vaakyaani = words sapatniinaam = of fellow wives; avaraaNaam = who are inferior to me; hR^idayachhidaam = who pierce the heart.
"I have to hear so many disagreeable words from my fellow-wives who are inferior to me and who pierce my heart with their words though I am a better and virtuous wife among them."
अतः दुह्खतरम् किम् नु प्रमदानाम् भविष्यति |
त्वयि सम्निहिते अपि एवम् अहम् आसम् निराक्ऱ्ता || २-२०-४०
40. kim nu = which one bhavishhyati = will be duHkhataram = more sorrowful pramadaanaam = to women ataH = than yaadR^ishaH = which -anantakaH = unending vilaapashcha = and dissolving shokaH = grief mama = to me
"Which one will be more sorrowful to women than this unending and consuming grief that occurred to me now?"
त्वयि सन्निहितेऽप्येवमहमासं निराकृता |
किम् पुनः प्रोषिते तात ध्रुवम् मरणम् एव मे || २-२०-४१
41. taata = Oh; father(a term of affection addressed to a junior) tvayi sannihite api = Even when you are nearby; aham = I niraakR^itaa aasam = was rejected evam = thus kim punaH = what to tell proshhite = when you go to exile. maraNam = death dhR^ivam is certain me = to me
"Even when you are near by, I am being rejected. What to tell after you leave for exile? Death indeed is certain to me."
अत्यन्तनिगृहीतास्मि भर्तुर्नित्य्मतन्त्रिता |
परिवारेण कैकेय्या समा वाप्यथवाऽवरा || २-२०-४२
42. asmi = Iam; nityam ;always atyanta nigR^ihiitaa = held down heaving bhartuH = by husband; atantritaa = without independence samaava = equal to athavaa = or avaraa = lower than parivaareNa = servants kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi
"My husband always held me down, without giving me any independence and treat me equal to or even lower than the servants of Kaikeyi"
यो हि माम् सेवते कश्चित् अथ वा अपि अनुवर्तते |
कैकेय्याः पुत्रम् अन्वीक्ष्य स जनो न अभिभाषते || २-२०-४३
43. yaH = kashchit = Anyone whatsoever sevate = serves maam = me athava = or anuvartate = follows saHjanaH = that person na abhibhaashhate hi = will not indeed speak anviikshhya = after seeing kaikeyyaaH = Kaikeyi's putram = son
Those who serve me now and those who follow me, will not speak to me, after seeing Bharata".
नित्यक्रोधतया तस्याः कथं नु खरवादि तत् |
कैकेय्या वदनम् द्रष्टुम् पुत्र शक्ष्यामि दुर्गता || २-२०-४४
44. putra = oh; son! durgataa = Myself; the miserable one! katham nu = how shakshhyaami = can I be able drashhTum = to see adanam = face tasyaaH kaikeyyaaH = of that Kaikeyi khara vaadi = who talks hurtingly nitya krodhatayaa ;because of the continuous anger
Oh, son! How can I, the miserable one, see the face of Kaikeyi who talks hurtingly because of her continuous anger."
दश सप्त च वर्षाणि तव जातस्य राघव |
असितानि प्रकान्क्षन्त्या मया दुह्ख परिक्षयम् || २-२०-४५
45. raaghava = Oh; Rama! aasitaani = sat down mayaa = by me dasha saptacha = for seventeen varshhaa Ni = years tava jaatasya = after your second birth of your thread ceremony praakaaNkshhantyaa = with hope of duHkha parikshhantyaam = disappearance of troubles
"Oh,Rama! I have been waiting for seventeen years after your second birth of thread ceremony, with the hope that my troubles will disappear at one time or the other."
तदक्षयम् महाद्दुःखम् नोत्सहे सहितुम् चिरम् |
विप्रकारम् सपत्नीनामेवम् जीर्णापि राघव || २-२०-४६
46. raaghava = oh; Rama! tat = for that reason; evam = in the way jiir Naapi = even if old aged; notsahe = I do not wish sahitum = to bear viprakaaram = insult sapatniinaam = of co-wives; akshhayam = un-ending mahat = great du Hkham = sorrow chiram = for long time
Oh, Rama! In this old age, I cannot bear insult from co-wives and this unending sorrow for a long time.
अपश्यन्ती तव मुखम् परिपूर्णशशिप्रभम् |
कृपणा वर्तयिष्यामि कथम् कृपणजीविकाम् || २-२०-४७
47. katham = How kR^ipaNaa = the pitiable me; vartayishhyaami = can roll on kR^ipaNa jiivikaam = this miserable life apashhyantii = without seeing tava = your mukham = face; paripuurNa sashiprabham = radiating like full moon
"How can I the pitiable one, spend this miserable life without seeing your face radiating like full moon."
उपवासैः च योगैः च बहुभिः च परिश्रमैः |
दुह्खम् सम्वर्धितः मोघम् त्वम् हि दुर्गतया मया || २-२०-४८
48. tvam = you samvardhitaH = were nourished mogham = in vain mayaa = by me durgatayaa = the unfortunate one; upavaasaishcha = and painful voes.
"You were nourished in vain by me ,the important one by fasts, by meditations, by various difficult and painful vows ."
स्थिरम् तु हृदयम् मन्ये मम इदम् यन् न दीर्यते |
प्रावृषि इव महा नद्याः स्पृष्टम् कूलम् नव अम्भसा || २-२०-४९
49. idam = This; mama = my hR^idayam = heart yat = for which reason na diiryate = is not breached kuulam iva = like bank mahaanadyaa = of great river spR^ishhTam = struck navaam bhasaa = by new water praavR^ishhi = in rainy season; manye = I think it sthhiram = as strong.
"My heart is not breached, as bank of a great river, struck by new water in monsoon, by hearing this news.That is why, I feel it is strong."
मम एव नूनम् मरणम् न विद्यते |
न च अवकाशो अस्ति यम क्षये मम |
यद् अन्तको अद्य एव न माम् जिहीर्षति |
प्रसह्य सिम्हो रुदतीम् म्ऱ्गीम् इव || २-२०-५०
50. na vidyate = There is no maraNam = death naasti = There is no nuunam = indeed. avakaashaH = place; mama = to me yamakshhaye = in the abode of yama. yat = for which reason; antakaH = yama; the god of death najihiirshhati = is not wishing to carry off maam = me adyaiva = now itself prasahya = forcibly.
"There is no death to me, indeed .I have no place in the abode of god yama who presides over the spirits of the dead .That is why, Yama is not forcingly carrying me off like a lion carrying off a wailing antelope."
स्थिरम् हि नूनम् हृदयम् मम आयसम् |
न भिद्यते यद् भुवि न अवदीर्यते |
अनेन दुःखेन च देहम् अर्पितम् |
ध्रुवम् हि अकाले मरणम् न विद्यते || २-२०-५१
51. anena duHkhena = By the grief; deham = body arpitam = is pierced. nuunam = Indeed mama = my hR^idayam = heart sthhiram = which is hard aayasam = is made of iron. yat = for which reason na bhidyate = it is not broken naavadiiryate = it has not fallen into pieces; bhuvi = on the floor na vidyate = There is no akaale = untimely = maraNam = death dhR^ivam = It is certain.
"This grief is inserted into my body. Even then, my heart is stable. It has not broken into pieces and fallen on the floor .It is indeed made of iron. There is no untimely death, it is certain"
इदम् तु दुःखम् यद् अनर्थकानि मे|
व्रतानि दानानि च सम्यमाः च हि |
तपः च तप्तम् यद् अपत्य कारणात् |
सुनिष्फलम् बीजम् इव उप्तम् ऊषरे || २-२०-५२
52. idam = This is duHkham = sad anarthakaaniiti = to speak about waste of me = my vrataani = religious voes daanaamicha = charities samyamaashcha = and restraints. yat = which tapaH = austerity taptam = is performed apatya kaaraNaat = for the sake of offspring; sunishhphalam = is completely in vain biijam iva = as seed uptam = sown uushhare = in saline soil.
"I feel bad since all my religious vows, charities, restraints have all gone waste.The austerity I performed for the sake of of -spring has gone in vain, as a seed sown in a saline soil."
यदि हि अकाले मरणम् स्वया इच्चया |
लभेत कश्चित् गुरु दुःख कर्शितः |
गता अहम् अद्य एव परेत संसदम् |
विना त्वया धेनुर् इव आत्मजेन वै || २-२०-५३
53. kaschit = If a person guruduHkhakarshitaH = in great distress labheta yadi = can get akaale = premature maraNam = death svayaa = ichchhayaa = out of his own will; aham = I gataa = would have got pareta sampadam = glory of the dead adyaiva = now itself tvayaa vinaa = without you dhenuriva = like cow aatmajenavina = without calf
"If a man in great distress can get premature death out of his own will, I being separated from you ,would have attain the glory of the dead now itself like cow without the calf."
अथापि किम् जीवित मद्य मे वृथा |
त्वया विना च्न्द्रनिभाननप्रभ |
अनुव्रजिष्यामि वनम् त्वयैव गौः |
सुदुर्बला वत्समिवानुकाङ्क्षया || २-२०-५४
54. athaapi = Moreover; chandranibhaanana prabha = oh; Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! kim = what me = my jiivitam = life tvayaavinaa = without you! vR^ithaa = waste indeed. adya = Now anuvrajishhyaami = Ican accompany tvayaiva = you only vanam = to the forest; vatsam iva = like with calf sudurbalaa = a completely weak cow gouH = cow anukaaNkshhayaa = with compassion
"Moreover, what is the use of life? Oh, Rama! With your brilliant face shining like moon! My life is useless without you. I shall accompany you to the forest like a weak cow going behind it's calf"
भृशम् असुखम् अमर्षिता तदा |
बहु विललाप समीक्ष्य राघवम् |
व्यसनम् उपनिशाम्य सा महत् |
सुतम् इव बद्धम् अवेक्ष्य किम्नरी || २-२०-५५
55. tadaa = Then; saa = that Kausalya samiikshhya = looked at raaghavam = Rama; upanishaamya = beholden with mahat = great vyasanam = calamity; avekshhya = saw sutam = son badhham = tied up; vilaapa = lamented bhR^isham = very much bahu = in many ways asukham = uneasily amarshhitaa = with anger kinnariiva = like kinnara woman.
Then, that Kausalya looked at Rama to whom a great calamity has occurred, saw her son bound by grief and lamented very much in various ways like a kinnara woman.
- - -
|| इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये अयोध्याकाण्डे विंशः सर्गः ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
HTML uploaded by Go FTP FREE Client