In this chapter Rama arrives at the king's presence. Seeing King disturbed, Rama becomes grieved and wants to know the cause of king's perturbance. Queen Kaikeyi describes to Rama about the boons that Dasaratha had given earlier and also her wishes of coronating Bharatha instead of Rama and sending Rama to Dandaka forest. On listening to these harsh words of Kaikeyi, Rama did not become sorrowful, but Dasaratha was very much disturbed.
sa dadarsha aasane raamaH niShaNNam pitaram shubhe |
kaikeyii sahitam diinam mukhena parishuShyataa || 2-18-1
1. saH raamaH = that Rama; dadarsha = saw; pitaram = father; nishhaNNam = sitting; shubhe aasane = on beautiful seat; mukhena = with face; parishushhyataa = parched up; diinam = miserable; kaikeyyaa sahitam = together with Kaikeyi.
Rama saw his father sitting on a beautiful seat, but with his face looking completely parched up and miserable. Kaikeyi was at his side.
sa pituH caraNau puurvam abhivaadya viniitavat |
tataH vavande caraNau kaikeyyaaH susamaahitaH || 2-18-2
2. saH = Rama; viniitavat = being humble; susamaahitaH = well compsed; puurvam = first; abhivaadya = reverentially saluted; pituH = father's charaNau = feet; tataH = then; vavande = saluted; kaikeyyaaH = Kaikeyi's; charaNau = feet.
Rama being humble and well composed, first reverentially saluted his father's feet and then saluted Kaikeyi's feet.
raama iti uktvaa ca vacanam vaaShpa paryaakula iikShaNaH |
shashaaka nRpatir diino na iikShitum na abhibhaaShitum || 2-18-3
3. nR^ipatiH = the king Dasaratha; uktvaa = spoke; vachanam = the word; raamaiti = "Oh; Rama!" bhaashhpa paryaakulekshhaNaH = with his eyes filled with tears; diinaH = dejected; nashashaaka = being not able; iikshhitum = to see; na = nor able; abhibhaashhitum = to talk.
Dasaratha spoke only one word "Rama!" with his eyes filled with tears and dejected, being not able to see or to talk any further words.
tat apuurvam nara pater dRShTvaa ruupam bhaya aavaham |
raamaH api bhayam aapannaH padaa spRShTvaa iva pannagam || 2-18-4
4. dR^ishhTvaa = having seen; apuurvam = not earlier; tat ruupam = that form; narapateH = of king; bhayaavaham = producing fear; raamo.api = even Rama; bhayam aapannaH = was struck with fear; spR^ishhTeva = as seizure; pannagam = of snake; padaa = with foot.
Having not seen earlier such a fearful form of his father, even Rama was frightened as though he seized a snake by his foot.
indriyaiH aprahRShTaiaH tam shoka samtaapa karshitam |
nihshvasantam mahaa raajam vyathita aakula cetasam || 2-18-5
uurmi maalinam akShobhyam kShubhyantam iva saagaram |
upaplutam iva aadityam ukta anRtam RShim yathaa || 2-18-6
5;6. tam mahaaraajam = that king Dasaratha; niH shvasantam = was sighing; indriyaiH = with senses; aprahR^ishhTaiH = sans pleasure; shoka santaapa karishitam = emaciated with grief and anguish; vyathitaakulachetasam = with distressed and agitated mind; saagaram iva = like ocean; akshhobhyantam = becoming perturbed; uurmimaalinam = with now of waves; aadityam iva = like sun; upaplutam = which is eclipsed; R^ishhimyathaa = as a sage; uktaanR^itam = who spoke untruth.
That king Dasaratha was sighing heavily with senses sans pleasure, emaciated with grief and anguish, with distressed and agitated mind, like ocean which cannot be perturbed, becoming perturbed with row of waves, like sun which is eclipsed and who lost lustre like by a sage who spoke untruth.
acintya kalpam hi pitus tam shokam upadhaarayan |
babhuuva samrabdhataraH samudraiva parvaNi || 2-18-7
7. upadhaarayan = contemplating over; tam = that; achintyakalpam = unimaginable; shokam = grief; nR^ipate = of the king; babhuuva = became; samrabdhataraH = very much perturbed; samudra iva = like ocean; parvaNi on full moon day.
Contemplating over the unimaginable sorrow of the king, he was very much perturbed as an ocean does on a full moon day.
cintayaam aasa ca tadaa raamaH pitR hite rataH |
ki.nsvid adya eva nRpatir na maam pratyabhinandati || 2-18-8
8. chaturaH = the ingenious; raamaH = Rama; rataH = who is fond of; pitR^ihite = father's welfare; chintayaamaasa = anxiously thought; kimsvid = "why indeed; nR^ipatiH = king; adyaiva = just today; napratyabhinandati = is not greeting in return; maam = to me?"
The ingenious Rama, who is fond of his father's welfare, anxiously thought : " why indeed the king is not greeting me in return just today?"
anyadaa maam pitaa dRShTvaa kupitaH api prasiidati |
tasya maam adya samprekShya kim aayaasaH pravartate || 2-18-9
9. anyadaa = at other times; pitaa = father; kupito.api = eventhough angry; prasiidati = used to be gracious; dR^ishhTvaa = after seeing; maam = me;kim = why; tasya = such father; adya = today; pravartate = has become; aayaasaH = weary; samprekshhya = after seeing; maam = me;
"At other times, the father, even though angry used to be gracious after seeing me why today such a father has become weary after seeing me?"
sa diinaiva shoka aartaH viShaNNa vadana dyutiH |
kaikeyiim abhivaadya eva raamaH vacanam abraviit || 2-18-10
10. saH raamaH = that Rama; diina eva = indeed distressed; shokaartaH = afflicted with grief; vishhaNNavadanadyntiH = with lustre reduced from his face; abhivaadyaiva = salutted; kaikeyaam = to Kaikeyi; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words.
Rama indeed distressed and afflicted with grief, with lustre faded from his face, offered his salutation to Kaikeyi and spoke these words.
kaccin mayaa na aparaadham aGYaanaat yena me pitaa |
kupitaH tan mama aacakShva tvam caiva enam prasaadaya || 2-18-11
11. naaparaddham kachchit = I hope that no wrong was done; mayaa = by me; aJNyaanaat = through ignorance; aachakshhva = tell; mama = me; yena = why; pitaa = father; kupitaH = is angry; me = with me; tvameva = you alone; prasaadaya = propitiate; enam = him.
"I hope that I have not done anything wrong through ignorance. Tell me why father is angry with me. You alone propitiate him in my favour."
aprasannamanaaH kim nu sadaa maaM prati vatsalaH |
vivarNa vadano diino na hi maam abhibhaaShate || 2-18-12
12. aprasannaa manaaH kimnu = how mind has become displeased; maam prati = towards me; vatsalaH = who was affectionate towards offspring; sadaa = always; vivarNa vadanaH = with face becoming pale; diinaH = dejected; naabhibhashhate hi = not talking; maam = to me.
"Why my father, who was always affectionate to me, has become displeased? With his face becoming pale and dejected, he is not talking to me."
shaariiraH maanaso vaa api kaccit enam na baadhate |
samtaapo vaa abhitaapo vaa durlabham hi sadaa sukham || 2-18-13
13. kachchit = I hope that; santaapova.api = either affliction; shaariiraH = of body; abhitaapovaa = or distress; maanasaH = of mind; na baadhate = is not troubling; evam = him; sukham = happiness; durlabham hi = is indeed difficult to be attained; sadaa = always.
"I hope that either bodily affliction or mental distress is not troubling him. The object of happiness is indeed difficult to be attained always!"
kaccin na ki.ncit bharate kumaare priya darshane |
shatrughne vaa mahaa sattve maatRRNaam vaa mama ashubham || 2-18-14
14. nakachchit ashubham = I hope no bad thing occured; kimchit = a little; bharate = to Bharata; priyadarshane = the delightful man to look at; shatrughne = or to great strength; matruuNaamva = or to mothers; mama = of mine.
"I hope that no bad thing occurred to Bharata, the delightful man to look at or to Shatrughna, the man of great strength or to my mother. "
atoShayan mahaa raajam akurvan vaa pitur vacaH |
muhuurtam api na iccheyam jiivitum kupite nRpe || 2-18-15
15. nR^ipe kupite = if our father is angry; nechchheyam = i do not desire; jiivitum = to live; muhuurtampai = even for a moment; atoshhayan = without satisfying; mahaarajan = the king; akurvan = without doing; vachaH = word; pituH = of father.
"If our father becomes angry, I do not desire to live even for a moment without satisfying him or without fulfilling his command."
yataH muulam naraH pashyet praadurbhaavam iha aatmanaH |
katham tasmin na varteta pratyakShe sati daivate || 2-18-16
16. naraH = MN; iha = in this world; pashyet = sees; yatomuulam = from what root; aatmanaH one's own; pradurbhaavam = coming into existence; tasmin = that father; sati = being; pratyakshhe = the visible; daivate = god; katham = how; navarteta = behaves not.
"Man sees father as the visible god who is the root cause of one's own coming into existence and how else can he behave towards him other than like that?"
kaccit te paruSham ki.ncit abhimaanaat pitaa mama |
uktaH bhavatyaa kopena yatra asya lulitam manaH || 2-18-17
17. mama pitaa kachchituktaH = i hope my father has been spoken; kinchit = any words; yena = by which; lulitam = (they) disturbed; asya = his; manaH = conscience; te abhimaanaat = by your pride; bhavityaa roshheNa = by your angry; parushham = which was harsh.
"I hope you have not spoken anything which hurt my father's conscience with your pride and anger."
etat aacakShva me devi tattvena paripRcchataH |
kim nimittam apuurvo ayam vikaaraH manuja adhipe || 2-18-18
18. devi = oh; queen ! kimninuniiHam = for what vacason; ayam = this; vikaaraH = perturbation;apuurvaH = which was not there earlier; manujaadhipe = in the king; achakshhva = tell; me = me; paripR^ichchhataH = who is questioning; etat = this matter; tattvaina = in reality.
"I am asking you why my father got this perturbation, which was not there earlier. Tell me the true position."
evamuktaa tu kaikeyii raaghaveNa mahaatmanaa |
uvaachedaM sunirlajjaa dhR^ishhTamaatmahitaM vachaH || 2-18-19
19. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; raaghaveNa = by Rama; mahaatmanaa = the great-souled; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; dhR^ishhTam = fearlessly; uvaacha = spoke; idam vachaH = these words; aatmahitam = for her own benefit; sunirlajjaa = without any shame.
Thus questioned by the great souled Rama, Kaikeyi fearlessly spoke these words for her own benefit, without any shame on her part.
na raajaa kupito raama vyasanam naasya ki.nchana |
ki.nchinmanogataM tvasya tvadbhayaannaabhibhaashhate || 2-18-20
20. raama = Oh; Rama! raajaa = the king; nakupitaH = is not angry; nakinchana = there is nothing of vyasanam = distress; asya = for him; tu = but; asya = to him; knchit = there is something manogatham = in mind; naabhibhaashhate = which he is not telling; tvadbhayaat = from fear of you.
"Oh, Rama! The king is not angry. There is nothing of distress for him. But he has something in mind which he is not telling from fear."
priyam tvaamapriyam vaktum vaaNii naasyopapartate |
tadavashyam tvayaa kaaryam yadanenaashrutam mama || 2-18-21
21. asya = his; vaaNii = words; nopavartate = are not coming off; vaktum = to tell; apriyam = the disagreeable; tvaam = to you; priyam = the loveful one; yat = which; anena = by him; ashrutam = is promised; mama = to me; tat = that; kaaryam = is to be done; avashyam = certainly; tvayaa = by you.
"To him, words are not coming off to tell disagreeable utterance to you, the dear one. He promised me a word. It is to be certainly done by you."
eshha mahyam varam dattvaa puraa maamabhipuujya cha |
sa pashchaattapyate raajaa yathaanyaH praakR^itastathaa || 2-18-22
22. puraa = long ago; saH eshaH raajaa = such of this king; maam abhipuujyacha = honoured me and; dattvaa = gave; varam = the boon; yatha = as; anyaH = other; praakR^itaH = common man; tathaa = so; pashchaattapyate = he is repenting.
"Long ago, the king honoured me and gave me a boon. Like a common man, he is repenting now for having given the boon."
atisR^ijya dadaaniiti varam mama vishaampatiH |
sa nirarthaM gatajale setum bandhitumichchhati || 2-18-23
23. saH vishaampatiH = that king; atisR^ijya = promised; dadaami iti = to give thus; varam = the boon; mama = to me; ichchhati = desires; bandhitum = to build; nivartham = wastefully; setum = dam; gatajale = on a place where water has gone away.
"This king promised me to give the boon and now he desires to build a dam wastefully on a place where water has gone away."
dharmuulamidam raama viditam cha sataamapi |
tatsatyam na tyajedraajaa kupitastvatkR^ite yathaa || 2-18-24
24. raama = oh; Rama! viditam = it is known; sataamapi = even by wise men; idam = that truth; dharmamuulam = is the root of righteousness; kupitaH = the offeneded; rajaa = king; natyajet = let him not abandon; tat satyam = such truth; yathaa = as; tvatkR^ite = for your sake.
"Oh, Rama! It is known by even wise men, that truth is the root of righteousness. See that the offended king does not abandon such a truth for your sake."
yadi tadvakshyate raajaa shubham vaa yadi vaa.ashubham |
karishhyasi tataH sarvamaakhyaami punastvaham || 2-18-25
25. raajaa = the king; vakshhyate = is about to mention(to you); tat = that truth; shubhamvaa = either auspicious; ashubhamyadivaa = or inauspicious; aham punastu = still; I; aakhyaasyaami = shall tell; sarvam = all that; karishhyasi yadi = if you shalldo it; tataH = afterwards.
"The king is about to mention that truth which may look auspicious or inauspicious to you. Still, I shall tell you all that, if you shall do it afterwards."
yadi tvabhihitaM raajJNaa tvayi tanna vipatsyate |
tato.ahamabhidhaasyaami na hyeshha tvayi vakshyati || 2-18-26
26. tat = what; abhihitam = is spoken; raajJNyaa = by the king; na vipatsyate = does not go wrong; tvayi = in you; aham = I; abhidhaasyaami = shall tell; tatH = then; eshhaH = this king; navakshhyatihi = whill not indeed tell; tvayi = unto you.
"If what is spoken by the king does not create unfavourableness in you, I shall then tell you. This king will not indeed tell you."
etaattu vachanaM shrutvaa kaikeyyaa samudaahR^itam |
uvaacha vyathito raamastaam deviim nR^ipasannidhau || 2-18-27
27. shrutvaa = after hearing; etat = these; vachanam = words; samudaahR^itam = spoken; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; raamaH = Rama; vyathitaH = was pained; uvaacha = and spoke; taam deviim = to that queen; nR^ipasannidhau = in the presence of the king.
After hearing the words of Kaikeyi, Rama felt painful and spoke thus to her in the presence of the king.
aho dhiN^naarhase devi paktuM maamiidR^ishaM vachaH |
aham hi vacanaat raaGYaH pateyam api paavake || 2-18-28
bhakShayeyam viSham tiikShNam majjeyam api ca arNave |
niyuktaH guruNaa pitraa nRpeNa ca hitena ca || 2-18-29
28; 29. aho devii = Oh; queen! dhik = what a pity! naarhasi = you are not worthy; vaktum = to talk; iidR^isham = theses type of ; vachaH = words; maam = about me; hi = because; vachanaat = by word; raaJNyaH = of king; aham = I; pateyam = shall jump; paavake.api = even in fire; niyuktaH = commanded; pitraa = by father; nR^ipeNa = who is the king; hitenacha = who wishes my welfare; guruNaa = who is venerable; bhakshhayeyam = I shall eat; tiikshhNam = fiery; vishham = poison; apcha = and majjeyam = sink; aarNave = into ocean.
"Oh, queen! what a pity! Do not talk like that to me. If father tells me, I shall jump even in fire. If father, who is a king, who wishes my welfare and who is venerable, commands me, I shall eat fiery poison and shall sink into an ocean."
tat bruuhi vacanam devi raaGYo yad abhikaankShitam |
kariShye pratijaane ca raamaH dvir na abhibhaaShate || 2-18-30
30. devii = oh; queen! tat = hence; bruuhi = tell; vachanam = the words; yat = which; abhikaaNkshhitam = are desired; raaJNyaH = by the king; pratijaanecha = I even promise; karishhye = to do; raamaH = Rama; naabhibhaashhate = does not speak; dviH = two things.
"Oh queen! Tell me the words of the king as desired by him. I even promise to do it. Rama does not speak two things."
tam aarjava samaayuktam anaaryaa satya vaadinam |
uvaaca raamam kaikeyii vacanam bhRsha daaruNam || 2-18-31
31. anaaryaa = the vulgar; kaikeyii = Kaikeyi; uvaacha = uttered; bhR^isha daarunam = very cruel; vachanam = words; tam raamam = to that Rama; aarjavasamaayuktam = who was committed to sincerity; satyavaadinam = and speaking of truth and a great war.
That vulgar Kaikeyi uttered very cruel words to that Rama, who was committed to sincerity and speaking of truth.
puraa deva asure yuddhe pitraa te mama raaghava |
rakShitena varau dattau sashalyena mahaa raNe || 2-18-32
32. raaghava = oh; Rama! puraa = long ago; daivaasurayuddhe = during battle between celestials; mahaaraNe = during the great war; te pitraa = by your father; sa shalyena = pierced by darts; rakshhitena = protected(by me) dattau = were given; mama = to me; varau = two boons.
"Oh, Rama! During a battle and a great war between celestials and demons long ago, I protected your father who was pierced by darts. Then, he gave me two boons."
tatra me yaacitaH raajaa bharatasya abhiShecanam |
gamanam daNDaka araNye tava ca adya eva raaghava || 2-18-33
33. raaghava = oh; Rama! tatra = under those circumstances; raajaa = the king; yaachitaH = was asked; abhishhechanam = for coronation; bharatasya = of Bharata; tava = your; gamanam = going; daNdakaaraNye = to the forest of Dandaka; adyaiva = now itself.
"Oh, Rama! According to those boons, I asked the king for coronation of Bharata and for your going to Dandaka forest today itself."
yadi satya pratiGYam tvam pitaram kartum icchasi |
aatmaanam ca nara reShTha mama vaakyam idam shRNu || 2-18-34
34. narashreshhTa = Oh Rama; the best of men! tvam ichchhasi yadi = If you want; kartum = to make; pitaram = father; aatmaanamcha = and yourself; satya pratiJNyam = faithful to a promise; shruNu = listen to idam vaakyam = these words; mama = of mine.
"Oh, Rama! If you want to make yourself and your father faithful to a promise, listen to these words of mine.
sa nideshe pitus tiShTha yathaa tena pratishrutam |
tvayaa araNyam praveShTavyam nava varShaaNi panca ca || 2-18-35
35. tishhTa = abide; pituH sannideshe = in father's command; yathaa = as; pratishrutam = promised; tena = by him; araNyam = forest; praveshhTavyam = is to be occupied for navapanchacha = faourteen; varshhaaNi = years; tvayaa = by you.
"Abide by your father's command. As per his assurance, you have to stay in the forest for fourteen years."
bharatastvabhishhichyeta yadetadabhishhechanm |
tvadarthe vihitam raajJNaa tena sarveNa raaghava || 2-18-36
36. raaghava = oh; Rama! bharataH = Bharata; abhishhechyeta = should be enthroned; tena sarveNa = completely in that manner; yat = in line with; etat = this; abhishhechanam = initiation; vihitam = arranged; tvadarthe = for your sake; raaJNyaa = by the king.
"Bharata is to be enthroned with the use of complete collection of materials already arranged by the king for your sake."
sapta sapta ca varShaaNi daNDaka araNyam aashritaH |
abhiShekam imam tyaktvaa jaTaa ciira dharaH vasa || 2-18-37
37. tyaktvaa = leaving; imam abhishhekam = this coronation function; vasa = dwell; daNdakaaraNyam aashritaH = taking refuge in the forest of Dandaka; sapta saptacha varshhaaNi = for fourteen years; jaTaajinadharaH = wearing braided hari and covered with a hide.
"You have to leave this coronation function and dwell in the forest of Dandaka for fourteen years, wearing braided hair and covered with a hide."
bharataH kosala pure prashaastu vasudhaam imaam |
naanaa ratna samaakiirNam savaaji ratha kunjaraam || 2-18-38
38. bharataH prashaastu = let Bharata rule; imaam vasudhaam = this earth; kosalapure = Ayodhya; the capital of kosala; naanaaratna samaakiirNam = completely covered with various types of precious things; savaajirathakuN^jaraam = filled with horses; chariots and elephants.
"Let Bharata rule this earth, by residing in Ayodhya filled with various types of precious thing together with horses, chariots and elephants."
etena tvaaM narendroyam kaaruNyena samaaplutaH |
shokasaMklishhTavadano na shaknoti niriikshitum || 2-18-39
39. etena = for this reason; ayam narendraH = this king Dasaratha; samaaplutaH = overwhelmed; kaaruNyena = with sympathy; na shaknoti = is not able; niriikshhitum = to see; tvaam = you; shoka samklishhTavadanaH = with face afflicted with grief.
"For this reason, king Dasaratha who is overwhelmed with sympathy towards you is not able to see you with his face, afflicted with grief."
etatkuru narendhrasya vachanaM raghunandana |
satyana mahataa raama taarayasva nareshvaram || 2-18-40
40. raghunandana = oh; Rama! kuru = do; etat vachanam = these words; narendrasya = of the king; taarayasya = liberate; narenshvaram = the king.
"Oh, Rama! Do as per the words of the king and liberate him by giving your father an opportunity to maintain the truth."
itiiva tasyaaM parushham vadantyaam |
nachaiva raamaH pravivesha shokam |
pravivyadhe chaapi mahaanubhaavo |
raajaa tu putravyasanaabhitaptaH || 2-18-41
41. tasyaam vadantyaam = while she was speaking; parushham = harsh words; itiiva = in this way; raamaH = Rama; nachaiva pravivesha = did not even enter; shokam = the sorrowfulness; raajaatu = but the king; mahaanubhaavaH = the mighty; pravivyathe = become much disturbed putravyasanaabhitaptaH = having been afflicted by calamity occured to hi son.
Though she was speaking such harsh words, Rama was not affected with sorrow. But the mighty Dasaratha became highly disturbed, having been afflicted by the calamity occurred to his son.
- - -
|| ityaarshhe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye ayodhyaakaaNDe ashhTaadashaH sargaH ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 1999, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
king and rama
Fastest FTP on the planet FREE Go FTP Program